Nipponese Learning Thread - Flight Plan Edition

Why aren't you learning Nipponese user? Don't you want to play all those Nipponese only games that will never come out in English? Don't you want to play Nipponese games without memes, censorship, new bugs, the ability to play as a girl removed, cute Asian girls made into ugly black women, unreadable accents, or dialog replaced by ellipses and tail wagging? Don't you want to tell creators how much you loved their games?

docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true
google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ynwmcFwy0ccT70cVRp-G97fYlcf-GYZ86T62SvQMDdY/pub?embedded=true&sa=D&ust=1453325614194000&usg=AFQjCNHsfuahFvAqJk5XVfcmGnalXnfPtA

Random Nipponese Games of the Thread: Pretty much everything ever made by Flight Plan.

Other urls found in this thread:

homepage3.nifty.com/apple62/serihu/golden.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

頑張ってね

it's あげ and さげ
not バンプ

If you live in the US you'd be better off learning spanish and german before you even touch chinese. Even with China being the world's second biggest economy 99% of chinese speakers live in China. Literally no one wants to learn their gibberish.

Don't worry, comrades. In the future, all will be learning of Russian. The west shall fall, comrades! They cannot keep up in the face of Active Measures programme! We will destroy their social fabric! They will kneel before the might of mother Russia!

Nyet

Starting to feel like learning moon wasn't a waste of time

頑張れ!

you can do it worst love live!

Anyone know if you take Japanese at a university level how feasible is it to break into long term non JET type work?

Chinese provides good job opportunities but the only tolerable places to live that speak Chinese are Hong Kong, Taiwan and Singapore. Urban China can make you some fatstacks ez but will crush your fucking soul.

Would it be correct to translate the following as “I gave a/the person raising his or her writting hand behind the library a/the package,” and how does politeness effect sub-clauses; for example, if the sub-clause of the following sentence was polite ("図書館の後ろに手を書いてを上げていますの人"), does that mean that the person is raising his or her writing hand politely, or is the politeness based purely on speaker’s, and it shouldn’t mix levels in a sentence.
私は図書館の後ろに手を書いてを上げているの人に荷物をあたえた。

Also, does anyone know of any guides that focus mainly on sentence production, and one that goes beyond simple sentences and includes compound, complex, and compound/complex sentences? It would also be preferable if it did not have its own vocabulary curriculum.

reminder

Fuck you user-desu, stop learning Japan

Murno is cute.

を here indicates a direct object of an action. So when you say 手を書く is means 'write a hand'. It also won't come prior to a verb, because a verb won't be an object of a verb unless it's marking a quote or something. Additionally, を will only be used once per clause.

Placing の after a verb doesn't link it to the next word like your trying with 上げているの, instead that nominalizes the verb/verb phrase prior. You can modify nouns directly with verbs/verb phrases.

Honestly I'm not so familiar with the rules of polite speech, but I don't think ます verbs can modify a noun; you'll switch to dictionary form even in a polite sentence for that. It would just be the sentence that's polite though.

に used the way you were indicates the location where something exists. で here indicates the location where an event (the raising of the hand) takes place. Both might be grammatical here, I don't know, but I chose to switch to で anyway.

図書館の後ろで書いていた手を挙げている人に小包をあげた(あげました)

My corrected sentence might have something wrong with it too, particularly that 書いていた手を挙げている bit. Not sure how I feel about that.

She really is.

I will never get to play this, it could be my favorite game series that i've been looking for all my life for all i know.

I'd better take this from the top.

This is incorrect because you have an imperative form before a direct object, something that just makes no sense.

You're trying to make a gerund phrase here, but this isn't the way to do it. The verb must be in plain form and the の doesn't make sense when you're using the phrase to describe a noun. Just the plain form of the verb followed directly by the noun works.

Even if this was perfectly grammatically correct, that doesn't mean "raising his writing hand" at all. What that would be saying if it was grammatically correct would be that the person was literally writing the kanji for hand and raising the paper. I'm assuming you mean dominant hand when you say writing hand, and in Japanese, that's 利き手, so it would be 利き手を上げている人. Keep in mind that it sounds a bit odd to specify that it was his dominant hand without context.
As for the politeness thing, you always use the plain form of verbs in a gerund phrase anyway, so your question itself is sort of pointless. To answer that in a more general way, if the sentence had been grammatically correct, any use of polite conjugations would always mean the speaker, not the person being spoken about, is being polite. The only exception would be the dialogue of a character, in which case it would show that the character is speaking politely. The whole "mixing levels" of politeness thing is also a moot point because the politeness or lack thereof in a sentence is always expressed at the very end with the -ます forms. Anything that comes before is irrelevant as long as the verb is conjugated in a way that expresses politeness.

Are Japanese gerunds different from English ones, for in English, “writing hand” is a gerund phrase (you can tell because it cannot be modified by “very” or an adverb) and “person raising…” is a present participle (can be modified by an adverb but not very: “person slowly raising,” “person politely raising,” or “person carefully raising”).

My word choice is completely arbitrary; I was merely using them to construct a complex sentence.

Their gerunds and participles are exactly like English, just that the phrase goes before the noun instead of after it. For example, "the man who raised his hand" would be "手をあげた人."

Just give up.

No user who has tried to walk this path left with their minds intact.

Just give up. While you still can.

Finishing up Lost Heroes 1, also been playing Sekaiju no MeiQ 5.

Even if Japan sinks into the ocean tomorrow, 90% of worthwhile video games are still going to be Japanese.

Obligatory

I guess I should maybe clarify that I figured you were going for 'the hand he was writing with' as opposed to 'dominant hand' in case it's not clear. So that's what I was aiming to express in my post.

Also,
should be 'won't come after a verb'

Could I ask what game the first set of screenshots is from?

I learnt a little bit of Japanese in school, but mostly just kana, so I'm looking for something pretty simple to play alongside translate/a dictionary to improve my vocab (which is awful)

Any other suggestions are good too!

It's probably Summon Knight Swordcraft Story 3.

Ah, that looks about right.
Thanks!

サモンナイトクラフトソード物語 3

Don't try that one though. It's full of tiny kanji that's a bitch to make out.

I'd recommend 黄金の太陽 1 and 2. The script is fairly simple and it's dumped here for easy looking up stuff

homepage3.nifty.com/apple62/serihu/golden.htm

You can also compare the English script, though the translation is pretty shit at points.

Oh, thanks for the recommendation!

I played Golden Sun when it first came out (in English), but haven't played it in years…
At least I'll be pretty familiar with the plot and everything! And it'll also be good to get rid of those memories of that awful DS sequel too…

Hadn't even crossed my mind, thanks again!

I really like these games' CMs

The game had a pretty weak story though. Even more so compared to the first two games.

Too bad Summon Night 4 would never happen. Imagine how good looking it will be on the Vita.

Y O U C A N T
O
U
C
A
N
T

By the way, the genki textbooks are still on the vola for two days.

You mean Craft Sword 4? Because Summon Night 6 is out on the Vita already.

Yeah, that was what I meant.

What does こわが mean?

That Japanese sentence is horribly mangled to the point that it's incomprehensible. Basically you only conjugate the main verb of the main clause for politeness, if that's what you're asking.

Context?

You mean 怖がる?