Ps2 problems

okay Holla Forums I'm turning to you for some help.

Recently I pulled my old fat PS2 from the closet. I spent a hundred dollars on some vidya games and a new controller/memory card.

I got final fantasy x, kingdom hearts, odin sphere, and jak and daxter. My old friend also gave me this LoZ-esque neopets game.

The PS2 take forever to recognize discs. Sometimes a couple minutes. Odins sphere and FFX run fine with no problems. But the other three games fuck up.

With Neopets and Jak, the game freezes, i can't do anything, and the music is still playing. With Kingdom hearts, random models will just disappear making cutscenes freeze and progression impossible.

I tried the toothpaste cleaning method on each of the discs. They preform a little better, but i still get the same problems.

Do you think it's a problem with the discs? Or should I just buy a new PS2?

Other urls found in this thread:

boston.craigslist.org/gbs/vgm/5724707972.html
gbatemp.net/threads/freemcboot-faq-install-guide.292229/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think you should stop posting facebook frog.

I think you should stop being such a smug cunt

Sounds like the discs are bad but it's hard to be sure.

You should be able to just order a new copy of Jak and Daxter for dirt cheap and see if it runs any better.

I think you should kill yourself

could probably ask a friend for a ps2 game and see if it crashes.
I just think it's pretty strange that the neopets one wouldn't work, then two games i got from lukiegames (a pretty good place to get games) would fail. That site has never given me shit discs before.

no problem let me just get this ps2 issue sorted out

Unless you are a collector that is fucking stupid.

It sounds like you have a faulty laser. Try several games, and DVDs. Its unlikely you got $100 worht of faulty merchandise. A good way to salvage it would be to mod it so it can play from an HDD (assuming you've got a fatty).

Get a lense cleaner.

It's probably the laser, if it's been sitting in storage dust could be caked on, HYPOTHETICALLY.

Whether it is or not, I entirely suggest you look up how to put an HDD in your PS2 and play games off of it.

but i'm a collector?

Laser might be going out, they tend to do that.

That's what I'm leaning on right now.
But why would odin's sphere and FFX work fine? That's what's giving me confusion.

In that case what's your haul for $100? I need a reason to shit on you now, kek

Well, is just werks. The PS2 is made of crap anyway, its actually a good idea to look up HDD modding since

As someone said before, it could be the laser. Did you buy a regular preowned model, or was it one that you know was refurbished just prior to buying? I got a refurbished fat a few years back and haven't had any real issues with it.

Different PS2 games used different kind of discs. Are Odin Sphere and FFX seem to have a different type of disc than the other games you're trying?

for a hundred i got four games, a new controller, and an 8 mb memory card.

Odin's sphere, Kingdom Hearts, FFX, and Jak and Daxter.

I have never done ps2 collecting before, just getting into it. That was literally my first haul for the system. The bulk of my collection is for GC. I have every Nintendo IP, decent game, and hidden gem for that thing so I finally decided to branch out. PS2 has shitloads of quality jrpgs so I'm going to get those. Along with the staples (Shadow of colossus, Ico, Katamari, God of War, etc) plus collecting for ps2 is relatively cheap.

I also have a fifty game 360 collection, but I don't even like 360. Original xbox and some games for that, but my library is too pathetic to call a collection in my eyes. There's also a wii and some games for that but it's also a small library.

I got a dusty old one from my friend. Same one who gave me the neopets game.

Also, the discs appear to be the same.

Okay, first, where do you live? Because going off my local prices that is WAY too much unless it all came with the system as well.
FFX should be less than $10 preowned at this point, same for Kingdom Hearts. Odin Sphere might be a bit more, but demand has been reduced due to Leithrasir, and Jak 1 is about $3 where I live. All prices being for complete copies locally. The Controller and memory card shouldn't have been more than $20 total either.

It might be the laser then. Do you have any decent used vidya stores around where you live that might be willing to take a look at it and give you a diagnosis on what the exact issue seems to be?

Also, while I like having actual copies of games I enjoy or that are of interest to me myself, I've been meaning to look into setting up an HDD for playing PS2 games digitally myself, namely since while the system's library is still cheap over all, a handful of games have gotten pretty up there in price (.hack, for example), and there's some fan translated/retranslated games I've been meaning to give a go sometime like Berserk, Shadow Tower Abyss, and the retranslation for AT2.

nope, I think gs used to give repairs but they're discontinued that. At thins point I may just have to blow money on a new console.

New England. I get everything off of Lukiegames.
I'm sure I could beg someone to give me a ride to some guy's place off of craigslist willing to get rid of a ps2 and 9,001 games for next to nothing.
in fact… boston.craigslist.org/gbs/vgm/5724707972.html

t. neet with no means of transportation.

$5 on amazon prime
$5.04 on amazon
$9.88 on amazon
$16.98 on amazon

And this is all assuming you don't want to check local stores/goodwills/craiglist/ebay where it tends to be much cheaper than amazon. Holy fuck, and even then the games don't fucking work. You jsut got jew'd. Real hard.

sorry smug anime man.

Honestly, I'm not sure I would trust buying a system on Craigslist unless they're actually willing to prove it's working.

Seriously though, look into what your local options for buying older vidya are. You might be able to find a store or two that are good about having PS2 games at lowish prices (hell, even multimedia places can be good for that at times), and maybe even one place might be willing to replace the laser or something if that is indeed the issue (simple experiment: take those games that don't work into a place with some PS2s and try them there. Good way to double check if it's the discs or the system itself).

Sorry? Nigger return that shit ASAP and tell them to fuck off. You must have a credit/debit card right? Otherwise I don't understand why the fuck you spent that much on those games.

Fuck those stupid old model fat PS2 pieces of shit.

I got one a year after launch and less than a week it was freezing up on certain games.

Not all of the games, specifically Ico, most games with a blue disk and Contra Shattered Soldier.

Just get a slim.

If it works the disks are the problem, if it does not then the PS2 itself is likely the issue. Of course the disks might also be fucked but one problem at a time.

Learn how to load opl and it'll be much more useful.

Slims suck for hdd loading.

Slims can't have an HDD put in, at least from what I know of them (I could be wrong though), so that's a drawback to that line of them. My fat works fine.

Of course, from what I know, some games do have compatibility issues with certain models of PS2. I think mine's noted as not being compatible with Jak X Racing or something. Could have been the issue you had, depending on what the actual model number was (mine's a 5000X if I remember right)

I looked it up way back when, and it had something to do with the first batch of models up until just after the first year.

Shit like that made it really easy for rumors about Nintendo hardware being super reliable to spread like wildfire.

whoops.
Just realized I only payed 65 for all those.
I spent 100 on my last order, from when I was finishing up my GC collection. Animal Crossing, RE 4, Starfox Adventures, etc.

Better, but still a bit much. I mean, I'd much rather patiently check local stores for stuff like Yakuza 2 for $12 than fork over the $45-80 I've seen it going for online before.

I'm reordering the two broken games i got.
If I get new copies and they don't work, I'm just going to cut my losses and stop bothering with this. Might get a new PS2 locally if I can simply save up the cash later.

You could always see if maybe you can get lucky with yard sales if prices are the issue. I mean, it's still a crap shoot, but if you find a working one for less than $10 or so that way, that's probably not a bad find.

Again, ideally you ought to test the discs on another PS2. There's a shop around where I live that has a bunch of systems you can try games out on before you buy them, test whether their disc buffer made something work, or see if a game that's giving you issues on your home machine works fine on the store ones. Big thing it to determine if it's the discs or the system.

yeah, I'm getting my friend to bring his ps2 and some games to my place

Good luck.

Ok I found your solution. Bypass the disc drive entirely. It's a fat ps2 right? If you can install FREEMCBOOT & HDLOADER onto a memory card somehow, you SHOULD be able to hook up a hard drive to your PC, load it with games, & then play them all off the PS2 hard drive with the added benefit of no load times. .

Best of luck user.

Guide

gbatemp.net/threads/freemcboot-faq-install-guide.292229/

I was always PC player and the only console I had before that was one of these Chinese nes clones, but I bought used ps2 because it was very cheap and shy the fuck not. Even though I use it very rarely, it is very easy to hack and play all pirated games and even some emulators like nes or c64, so I'd highly recommend it to all console players. All you need is free mcBoot, which is a hack that will allow you to launch custom software, it's installed on the memory card, you can get a memory card with mcBoot installed for like 5£ and with it you can install mcBoot on any other memory card if you want to do it for a friend or whatever.

You can load games from disks or from USB or even hard disk if you manage to get one or through LAN from your PC, keep on mind that the last 3 options are the least reliable ones, but wast majority of games work just fine. Get your moded ps2 today and play some fucking gradius 5 !!

pic related : commando on c64 emulator. I wish I could play it but I have to go to work …

Your laser or servo is giving out. Replace it

tfw I lost pack of fags on the way to work

If it's more than one disc then it's likely the PS2.
The first model PS2s had a problem with the part of the disc drive that grips the disc (it was magnetic I think), basically causing the disc not to spin. If you open it up and rub some sand paper over it, it should grip the discs properly and work as a temporary fix.
It's the white part in the centre of pic related you want to work on.

the discs may be less scratched than the others you've tried.

>>>/4chan/
>>>/reddit/