Tropic Thunder is a comedic masterpiece

I feel like I want to go back to college and write a thesis on the movie. There's so many layers, so much depth to each character, so much to laugh at/with. And the first time I saw it I had no idea that was Tom Cruise.

Someone help me out here. There are multiple levels to the film: It's a movie, of course, about making a fictional movie which happens to actually be the movie. Which is based on a book which turns out to be all lies, written by a completely fake Vietnam vet who actually turns out to be a hero at the end of the day. It has a play within the movie of a fake movie within the movie.

There's a white Australian acting as a black American. There's a super masculine rapper who's actually homosexual or bi. There's Jack Black. And Tugg Speedman is every over the hill action hero as acted by Ben Stiller, who wrote and directed the movie.

I can't think of any comedy that has this many oars in the water, so to speak, both comedically, satirically, and also as a mockery of Hollywood itself.

[–]bgzkinsella 7890 points 4 hours ago

There's a white Australian acting as a black American.

At one point, it's actually a white American actor playing a white Australian actor playing a black American soldier playing a Vietnamese farmer.

permalinkembedsavereportgive goldreply

[–]gottagepgep 2947 points 2 hours ago

He's a dude playing as a dude disguised as another dude!

permalinkembedsaveparentreportgive goldreply

[–]NewspaperNelson 673 points 2 hours ago

Maybe you're the dude who has no idea what dude he is…

[–]1337_Degrees_Kelvin 211 points 2 hours ago

turns white

load more comments (3 replies)

[–]ekidd07 33 points an hour ago

Or are you a dude who has no idea what dude he is and claims to know what dude he is?

load more comments (6 replies)

load more comments (3 replies)

“I never break character until the commentary is over.” And he really doesn’t

load more comments (17 replies)

[–]test_tickles 575 points 2 hours ago

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

[–]sobeRx 72 points 2 hours ago

I get chills every time

[–]IndefiniteBen 447 points 3 hours ago

I mean, it's that for most of the movie, considering RDJ is American.

[–]wf3h3 537 points 2 hours ago

No, because he is only playing the Vietnamese farmer for a few minutes.

[–]leftysarepeople2 978 points 2 hours ago

He’s not a Vietnamese farmer, he’s a lead farmer

[–]nuorigin 323 points 2 hours ago

Thanks for giving me my first lol of the day. My favorite line of the entire movie is "I don't read the script, the script reads me". That s*** is so deep and nonsensical at the same time, I can't help but to laugh every time I think of it. I wish I could have an instance to use it but I don't

[–]LiterallyPutin 180 points 2 hours ago

Become a professor, give all your students grades based on completely arbitrary criteria, when they complain "I don't read essays, essays read me". Bonus points if you have tenure.

load more comments (2 replies)

load more comments (12 replies)

load more comments (9 replies)

[–]SitrukSemaj 67 points 2 hours ago

He's a lead farmah, motha fuckah.

load more comments (1 reply)

load more comments (67 replies)

"there is jack black". That makes it sounds like jack black only can play jack black in movies and that's hilarious.

[–]gregallen1989 199 points 2 hours ago

If t ain't broke don't fix it.

[–]socratessue 96 points 3 hours ago

Well…

load more comments (21 replies)

[–]Thatoneasian9600 2753 points 9 hours ago

The fact that Robert Downey Jr. got nominated for an oscar for this movie is hysterical too lol

[–]BogeyBogeyBogey 1201 points 5 hours ago

It's not to say he didn't deserve it, but the Oscar for "Best Supporting Actor" that year was completely wrapped up by Heath Ledger almost immediately when the announcement came out.

[–]Jones3619 846 points 3 hours ago

Not that he didn’t deserve it, his Joker was a magical performance but when he passed away you knew no one else was getting the Oscar.

Movie isn't funny.

All the good parts were in the trailers.

Tropic Thunder and Walk Hard were the last great comedies
it's all been shit since

Chow on some cyanide, Reddit.

Pretty sure OP is just copying a reddit thread for our enjoyment, user.

Rewatched this recently and this movie is a testament on how things got bad in Hollywood in less than a decade. This is a movie that couldn't have been made today because it would be career suicide to do so. Critics and snowflakes would flay everyone involved in this alive and luckily this sunk into the memory hole.

My top recent comedies

Hot Fuzz
This is the End
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

we need to post reddit on here more often

Holla Forums your shut-in is showing.
But yeah movies have gone to shit the last 10 years.

I watched this movie a few years after it came out and found that it wasn't funny in the slightest. Then I watched it again about a year ago and still didn't. Can someone please explain to me why this seems to be universally praised? I really don't get it at all.

Muh reddit tier humor, fun the whole family except anons

I guess. Now that I think about it, I think that there was perhaps one small instance that I laughed (don't ask me what it was since I don't remember) but I just remember being (and still am) dumbfounded that so many people talk about this like it'll make you lose your sides, and I say this as someone who doesn't really have high standards for movies.

Not a shut in, its very accurate. Notice he said critics and snowflakes not people you fag.

You sound like a complete edgelord.

Why?

Because its funny. It doesn't have to be edgy to be funny. The jack black bit wasn't that great but the everything else was great. I don't see how it wasn't funny. it was funny jew Larry David tier humor except executed really well.

Can you give an example of something that was funny in it? I really couldn't find anything about it that interested me much.

This movie isn't that funny, but because it's the antithesis to the current year identity politics people like it. Les Grossman is also the best character Tom Cruise ever played.

Fair enough. I can appreciate those things despite still not liking the movie, I guess.

The only lame part of the movie is Ben Stiller, because he doesn't do a good job of acting like an action movie star.

In real life, most of the great action movie stars like Jean Claude Van Damme are a lot more realistic about bullshit.

You forgot the biggest part. Tom Cruise making fun of kikes to the point i wonder if ADL didn't choke on unclipped baby-dicks when they showed this.

This

Tropic Thunder was a pretty great jab at Hollywood.

But it wasn't just blackface. it took blackface in a different step

How can people say this movie isn't funny? Its very funny, even without current political climate. I saw this movie when it came out back before i had any interest at all in politics and it was still funny.
Not a hah those stupid leftists will be foaming at the mouth funny but actual hah that was a good set up and punch line or comedic view.

This movie proved to me that Tom Cruise actually has range.

It's true, since Eyes Wide Shut its about the only film that hasn't been the same character for him

Pity they let Jack Black be in it.

But white dwarves are on the complete opposite end of the spectrum to black holes.

I like it because it causes nigger butthurt over RDJ's character in blackface. It's also pretty funny for a Ben Stiller movie you have to admit.
Tom Cruise was the best character in the movie. He nailed that shit.