Which one was "better"?

Which one was "better"?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20090223221630/http://www.martianbuddy.com/
escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116919-Quake-Retro-Review
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ur mom

This guy's mum.

As much as I hate Bethesda and nuDoom, nuDoom. There is no contest, the other one didn't even try to be a Doom game.

Neither did nuDoom.

They tried, they just failed miserably.

It's interesting to compare the two games, DOOM 3 tried to be like a bit of an atmospheric horror game while nuDOOM tried to be more of an action focused Serious Sam 3 type game.

At least Doom 3 has mods and an open source engine.

NuDoom has neither and SnapMap is a joke

/thread

NuDoom was a sincere, earnest effort to create a game like Doom in the modern era.

Did they succeed? Not really. Although they created something that's above-average for a modern FPS, it's nowhere near as fun or memorable as the originals.

Despite being relatively enjoyable to play, nuDoom is a game that you forget about a few months after you play it. In stark contrast to Doom 1, 2 and 64, which people are still obsessed with twenty years later.

But honestly? I really do appreciate the effort, and I can tell they were sincere, even if they ultimately failed.

Well, doom 3's engine is like 12 years old, and got an open source permission from zenimax

What the fans want is basically an HD version of zDoom, which is a fucking impossible wish.

Think he meant in terms of the fact that they cared enough to scrap Call of Doom and the single player apparently being decent. Granted multiplayer was shit tier and Snap map being multiplatform killed its potential for even something like E1M1 remakes.

Neither of them are any good, but Doom 3 had the fucking respect to just get out of the way and let the Doom community and the Doom name keep trucking along. NuD44m is just sitting there like a bloated tumor and making the ride all bumpy with it's half-assed pretensions of being anything more than a useless waste.

These wads look like absolute ass to play. Is there any 3D remake of Doom, or at least 3D doom like game?

Biliniar texture filtering is the greatest of mankind's inventions.

I'm not joking.
Huge ass sqare pixels are the result of time/tech limitations.
There is no benefit in sprites having resolution different from your monitor other than compatibility. So filterng is the natural compenastion technique for it.

but dude, what about minecraft?

What about it? It's barely a game, it's virtual toy blocks for 3-5 yo kids.

I've since atoned for my sins, but all I have are old screenshots so fuck it

I really enjoyed Doom 3

I don't think it's better than Doom, or worse, they're different games. I understand why people wouldn't like it as a sequel, or even a game.

But I really like Doom 3. It's not amazing, but it's really solid.

I dunno fam, Doom 3's pretty boring. Boring main guns (the pistol, shotguns, rifle, etc are boring but the chaingun, plasma gun, and chainsaw are absolutely awesome, I like them better than any weapons in original Doom), boring enemies (the design is absolutely cool though, way cooler than original Doom tbqh), boring setting, boring physics (enemies barely get any feedback after getting shot, and dead bodies just disappear), even any Halo game is less boring. Too many tight corridors, you can barely shoot and run like in original dooms. NuDoom's nowhere as boring as Doom 3, really. Also, shooting and backtracking in darkness are pretty fun, but gets tiring and annoying after a while. Make sure you get a flashlight mod before replaying this shit.

What the fuck is happening to Holla Forums?

The original Doom is better, but I liked Doom3 nevertheless. It's not a remake but a different (sub-)genre.
However it wasn't until 15 hours into the campaign before the really good parts (aka hell) started to appear. The build-up to it is a bit too long and most impatient people never seen it.
Also the expansion Resurrect of Evil is recommended,some people think, it's better than the base game. I could never play it, when it came out, because my country censored it.

doom 3 had mods

As a shooter horror game, is Doom 3 better/worse than Dead Space, RE4 and/or Alan Wake? We all already know that FEAR is in a league of its own. I'm asking because I've yet to pick up the 4 games I mentioned.

It's better than Quake 4.

Doom 4 by far. d3 was merely ok for the time it's been released, it's gameplay aged like milk.

D3's artwork works looks better than NuDoom though.
Original Doom's art tops all of them, ofc.

It's full of contrarian hipster nostalgia faggot kids like you I guess.

Worse than all 3, it's a fps with some jump scares that's far too dark in a lot of places, forcing you to switch from gun to flashlight all the time. Still worth a download.

Both are rather lame and unoriginal. Especially the pinkie in 4 looked retarded.

Doom 3 is a pretty good atmospheric horror shooter with some decent jumpscares
It has a solid remake of knee deep in the dead

D44M is a fast paced shooter that fails in many design aspects you'd expect would be fuckin endemic to a fast paced shooter Lockdown lockdown lockdown!
It's remakes of classic levels show how truly shit it is at bring fast paced: You cannot under any circumstance access many secrets that have a timer on them

Doom 3's movement speed is faster than 4's
The slowpaced horror game is fucking faster than the would be fast paced shooter

Doomshock 3 was way better than Serious Doomguy: The Reboot.

Nudoom. I actually wanted to complete whereas I can't stand Doom 3 for longer than five minutes due to its shit level design and awful gunplay. Felt nothing like an arena shooter.

Even made by former Skulltag dev.

methinks Nudoom tried to be quake

Looks like fucking borderlands with shit AI and tumblr artstyle.

Plot twist

MOOM3 is a good horror game but an awful DOOM

The twist is deep.

Wait what?

I had more fun playing nuDoom because it's basically a bunch of open arenas where you have to kill a lot of people. I find that more interesting than dark corridors and codes written on iPads.

I remember playing this when it was still in alpha or beta or something. Was okay.

Post Hellknight R34

This is what stupid fucking millenials actually believe.

demonic as fuck

even more demonic also you can't see anything

demons turned into ayyliens and WoW-tier magic because the game was made by fedora tippers or people who weren't in touch with any religion at best or refuse to listen to "dad rock"

From the "new" Dooms, 3 is the best without a doubt.
It tried its own thing by going horror and spooky but it did well, it was a good game but not a good Doom. However near the end it tried to be Doom.
It also had the respect to not fuck the designs of previous enemies.

no, it didn't, it wasn't scary at all.

doom 4 is also closer to the original designs than 3.

have you played Resurrection of Evil? they nailed the Doom feeling better that time and even the final boss isn't just a QTE stuff like Cyberdemon

roe was still the same as d3, nothing to write home about

Wonder why I can't find this image anywhere anymore.

Doom 3 is better off being its own game. Which was for its time a graphical feat of engineering especially to get it on the xbox original as well as an action horror game that tried to break off from its action-shooter roots. With some success I would say.

To try and compare Doom 3 to its predecessor would lead to disappointment for a lot of people and rightfully so if Id promised a Doom just like Doom 1+2, but I don't remember them advertising the game like that.

In my opinion 3 captured my attention as it was one of a few memorable shooters I had growing up. The interactivity with the PDA and the messages containing codes for ammo/armor was something that stood out especially considering how it did not have any pop-up menus but was instead contained within the world itself.

While I beat Doom 3 about 7 times and just started replaying it again because of its comfy-ness I've beaten Doom 1 about 2 times and some change and got 2/3rds through Doom 2.

NuDoom
It's closer to a real doom game than 3 is.

Why?

Nudomm is an actual shooter. Doom 3 is a monster closet simulator.

nuDoom is a QTE-fest with console-dictated pacing, 3 plays much better, you dumbass.

You don't ever have to use the melee finshers though besides on finishing off the bosses.
in what way? It's slow paced with easy predictable enemy placement. You spend more time walking around than shooting in Doom 3.

Don't get me wrong. I like Doom 3, but as a shooter NuDoom is undoubtable better.

It's your own fault.

Doom was always a meme game

I remember liking 3 because it looked damn good on Ultra back in 2005, but now i cant even play it for fives minutes because it looks like shit and the gameplay sucks.

wrong

it's faster than 3

you are retarded beyond down syndrome, kid.

As much as it kills me inside, NuDoom. NuDoom may be a boring and dull game, but it at least seems to be trying (and failing) to be remotely like the original one. Doom 3 tried to be something else entirely, making me curious why they called it Doom 3 at all. Not to mention it was somehow even more boring than Bethesda's mess.

Both are shit games though, so what's the fucking point?

The existence of Glorykills basically makes it a "Press this button to win"
Failing to do said Glorykills on higher difficulties will eventually lead to your death as health pickups are scarce in Nu-DOOM.
A QTE is a sequence where you must press a button or else you die.
You see a slight correlation here?

The new doom is really great, the older dooms just haven't aged gracefully and shouldn't be compared to new doom, as they're much more limited and inferior but great for their time.

In my opinion D3 has aged way better than other 2005-tier games. It's not on par with RAGE of course.

Yeah, it would be unfair for this new doom to compare it to an actual good game.

Yeah, the existence of guns basically makes it a "Press this button to win"

gid gud scrub

Which Doom doesn't have.

You insisting on being retarded in all of your posts?

Some PDA requires you to open a real webpage to get an access code.
That page isn't up anymore ofc.

Yep, that was a cabinet that allowed you to get the chaingun a bit earlier in the game. Now the website is a link to bethsoft.

Have a screenshot:

web.archive.org/web/20090223221630/http://www.martianbuddy.com/

Give this man a medal.

Except I wasn't talking about the guns I was specficily talking about the Glorykill system.
First off you sound like a faggot, second off, if you really believe this game is not a QTE fest, post a runthrough of the game on Nightmare where the player doesn't do a single Glorykill (Except on scripted segments.)

Doom 3 is the akward mix of System Shock 2 and a console FPS. No one ever understood the need for the flashlight gimmick, and barely anyone bothered to stick around until the very good final levels.

I did! Was worth it.

Far Cry looks way better. And its a great game to boot.

MooD, the game where you unleash a portal to heaven and have to make peaceful arrangements for cyberangels.

nuDood is way better. Doom 3 isn't even a Doom game.

Your screen aspect ratio is wrong.

Go away.

Yeah. People should watch this new Quake-review from Yahtzee instead.

escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/116919-Quake-Retro-Review

I haven't played nuDoom, is it cracked yet?

How so?

Nope, maybe soon

Doom3 is designed as a 1600x1200 4:3 game and meant to be played with that aspect ratio. Your HUD is distorted too.

To avoid issues with low texture resolution and polygon detail, don't up an old game to 4K, because that will make look like shit. HD mods don't do good here.
Instead go for a lower resolution with a high quality upscaling post-processing filter (modern GPUs can do that).
I recommend anything between 1024x768 and 1280x960 for Doom3. Best served on a CRT.

Jump scares are not scary. They startle you. There is a difference.

I think the true cancer are the doom purist autists

D44m has classic maps so you can play e1m1, etc (no graphical updates) with the nuDoom gameplay and weapon models

You move so slowly in DefourM that many secrets requiring you to reach a door within a time limit after triggering are impossible to reach.
I shit you not

You don't know what QTE means.

/vr/ plz, the game let you set r_mode and r_aspectRatio from stock, I don't see why I should prevent myself from using it, also I'm already playing it with mods that modify the gameplay why the fuck would I care about what was intended? or did you really think the dual guns were what i was referring to when I said "this shit happens"?

Yeah, but I don't really care though, the main menu being stretched does flare up my autism a bit though

1200p isn't 4k user, when I say "Muh HD mod" I just mean Sikkmod and an HD texture pack.

Don't have one anymore and can't find a decent one for a good price so nope, but it's true that with all the darkness a CRT does make a lot of sense compared to a shitty TN LCD.

Doom 3 was OK. It's only barely Doom but otherwise it's a decent enough game with a few major flaws.

nuDoom is just a total shitfest.

It's not the game, it's the engine, which allows that. The game is what you can access through the menu. Don't forget, that every id game also was a showcase for the idTech engine meant to be licensed to third parties. So if you take the source code and build a widescreen game with it, it's fine. It doesn't mean Doom3 is one.
Was I meant was: The game already looks perfectly fine on "High" settings at 1024x768 with 16x anti-aliasing (in-game option) upscaled by a decent GPU/display. (Doom3 BFG "HD" actually looks shittier.) No fuckery with any nVidia drivers needed, game runs out of the box.
So the fags who mod the game and then complain it looks like shit (like your broken skybox) have to blame only themselves for that.

nuDoom singleplayer is great, stay autistic Holla Forums

It's SLOW!

pic related
:^)

Yes, if you have a CRT.

Actually I still had to change shit to get DOOM 3 to work properly at all, but that's just Nvidia being Nvidia.

Actually it was only broken because I activated every single post processing effects just to see what would happen, after a bit of tweaking everything works just fine and looks better than the original (in my opinion obviously), and even without any of the post processing from sikkmod the HD texture pack is a decent improvement.

CRT is primarily better for colors. For resolution proper post-processing does the trick. But only if you don't up the source resolution too high.

Doom 3 the flashlight is a gameplay mechanic, levels have to be designed and thought out around this GAMEPLAY. It's automatically better just for that.

They're both fags.

I like this game. It's a shame it tanked.

then why is there glory kils, upgrades, climbing, and all this other shit that tells me "this was a cash grab in the name of doom"?

I think the glory kill bullshit was added late, probably by marketing. When the game starts, before they introduce the press X to awesome mechanic, you can headshot enemies and they die in one hit in a satisfying spray of blood. After that mechanic is introduced, headshotting just puts them into that stunned state. So the code was in there to play like a proper game.

Glory kills ruin whatever "fun" nuDoom could have had. It's an objectively shit game only liked by people with objectively shit taste. If you like nuDoom you are what is wrong with video games.

Something lifted straight out of Brutal Doom.
This is the only point I find somewhat legitimate, but upgrading shit always feels satisfying so I dunno.
Nigga what?

You can clamber up ledges if you jump and hit it at about chest height. It's just something to make the jumping less aggravating if you miss a ledge by just a little bit. Nothing much to get worked up over.

As much as glory kills aren't optional it's bullshit that it's the only way to grantee that the enemy will drop health, it shouldn't have been required to do so, in fact, there was a suggestion that after killing a horde of demons you get to preform a glory kill on that BASTARD, making it less repetitive and maybe lowering the health to that of when a glory kill would be activated normally on each monster.

However, there are some things wrong with the glory kill system in the first place, was it really necessary to have in the first place? Literally it was added because of brutal doom's popularity (despite there being better doom mods out there) and I pretty much hate sgt mark for it even more because of how over hyped that piece of shit is.

Upgrades were cool, though I kinda wished you could have upgraded the BFG or chainsaw some how, maybe having the BFG go back into the plasma cell ammo somehow and acting more of a BFG 10k from Quake Arena?

I think I just responded to bait

inb4 flood of faggots with buyers remorse rushing to "prove" you wrong

>>>/cuckchan/

Not really. You could do something along the lines of Painkiller with an added futuristic touch, a F.E.A.R. 1's kind of detailed, grim atmosphere with a 'realistic' essence paired with some demonic feeling, or even a Quake 1/2 type of approach in which you can quickly navigate maze-like levels crowded with foes, traps, teleporters, etc.

There's a billion possibilities and ideas to make a old school FPS that's good as they mostly were decades ago, but no.

The only merit of the new 'doom' game is a sort of engaging combat, gory executions (that get old because they're forced upon the player, not optional like in BDoom) and decent graphics. But it's not a worthy successor to the Doom franchise.

Nu Doom is 20 times better than Doom 3.
Doom 3 is absolute trash.

Summary: Both suck but Doom 3 sucks more.

And what do you recon causes you to experience these feelings?

Well, the darkness in Doom 3 and shitty puzzles where you need to hear boring voice mails in order to discover the hints ruin whatever fun I could had.

wow

nuDoom was made for you

Cabinet's entirely optional unless you're going for some 100% completionist run. And you can still look up the code anyway.

Threads like these always get guaranteed replies.

The biggest issue for me nuDoom doesn't have any level design at all. It's literally just corridors and arenas.

If it had had good level design like Doom 1 and 2 it might actually have been alright.