pastebin.com/qCpLhqYG
pastebin.com/pa4d9FAK
github.com/ARCofSpada/MMBNSim
8ch.net/faq.html
map.norsecorp.com/#/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

3>6>5>2>1>4>>>>Network Transmission

NT did have some pretty sweet music though

I still want a NT 2 with a Cross system and polished gameplay, the chip system is a neat idea in a platformer, it was just handled like shit.

Also RIP Zero, he needed to be a part of other BN games.

Sucks that enemies were dummies out between games. Look at BN3 for example. Bombs and ghosts were in prior games but you only get those chips from vendors or random data. at the very least you can tell if an enemy is in the game if it's greyed out in the chip art

Anyways navicust best mechanic

I hate how they gimped the navicust in later games, going bugstyle in 3 with a RockCube buster never gets old, then they drop the ball and never give you upgrades that can change how your weapon works in later games.

Pretty much. We needed a crosssoul with Zero or something. Zero.EXE was pretty awesome.

I can understand liking 2 over 5, but over 6? Nigga, you crazy.

BROTHER NERO

Has anyone played MMBN Chrono X?

Their April fools joke was a bit tasteless, but I'm not sure about the game itself.

I KNEW YOU'D COME

3 and 6 were way more fun for me and 5 was my addiction for the longest time. 2 is really good though.

Goddamn it Hub, you died of heart failure

Maybe he's asking for a transplant.

Why doesn't he just take Roll's?

Maybe he needs more HP Memory first.

That's the one made by pic related, right? I hope he's been paying attention to Nintendo's recent behavior towards fan projects.

NT > 2 > 3 > 5 > 6 > 1 > WS > BCC > 4
Your opinion's shit

I think you're mistaken.

I could see someone putting 2 over 3 (not that I'd agree), 2 had a really tight internet and 3 had a bunch of annoying bossfights.

I mean don't get me wrong, 2 is pretty solid, but I honestly feel 3 was better. Though I actually liked 3's bosses, though I do recall a couple being a bit irritating. I will fite him about NT though. That shit was a mess.

I didn't have a problem with 3's bosses until I took the time to replay it. Bubbleman, Desertman, Heatman and Kingman all have gimmicks that are annoying to get around.

Never really had a problem with Desertman or Kingman honestly, but I agree that Bubbleman can fuck right off.

Nah, should be:

3>6>2>1>Network Transmission>5>4

Why does everyone hate 5 so much? I thought it was great.As long as you didn't play Double Team

SIKK GIT LAD XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Unless nintendo bought out capcom i fail to see the problem.

The process of wearing down Desertman's barriers while dodging his hands just to get one solid hit in so you can do it again gets old, and Kingman's an obnoxious faggot; those pawns always end up eating half of my chips. Whoever decided that giving you a Fire based stylechange while fighting a water boss is also retarded.

5's got a shit internet layout and inherits 4's problem of hiding chips above level 1 behind postgame. It's not shit and I wouldn't put it behind 1 but it's definitely got it's flaws. Chaos unisons should have been reserved for dark Megaman as a replacement for losing regular unisons. Also what's your issue with Double Team? I like being able to build a team during liberation missions.

6=3>5>2>4>1

I guess I never really had a problem with 5's internet layout since 6's was the only one where I really noticed it as a problem. Double Team's got one major flaw, and that's the audio. The remixed soundtrack is hit or miss (unless you have a cartridge of 1-4), and the voice acting, is bad enough to get grating, but not enough to be funny. And considering how much you hear it, it bothers me, especially when I just want to fucking listen to 5's music. And no option to turn it off. The audio is really the only reason I recommend the GBA versions over the DS one, but I understand liking the team building aspect though I mostly like Team Colonel's line up of teammates over Team Protoman's.

"Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan." "Not bad, Lan."

I don't think Capcom cares. MMU is still up.

I love the use of stereo sound in this. This is my favorite internet theme.

You know that during the N1 Gran Prix setup where you have to find a sub folder you can get a folder that makes fighting those two a fucking breeze.

How? 6's internet isn't bad, it reminds me of the earlier games where the other regions were self contained but easy to get to. In 5 it feels like a giant trek to get anywhere. Also the areas you liberate from nebula just look so out of place. They really should have brought back net squares and used the liberated areas for them.

Webm related
Personal favorite in a link since you can't embed and attach images youtube.com/watch?v=JtX-oC5eCnc

I didn't have trouble beating them, it's just that their movesets don't mesh well with the core mechanics of the game; they are designed to stall and stay safe, with most other bosses they have an opportunity to punish some of their moves.

Just a reminder that we are in 2016, after the crushing sucess that Pokémon Go was, and Capcom is not making a Megaman Battle Network for smartphones

Like, fuck

The fucking retarded part of that, to me anyways, is they had a Dub of the show going on at the time, but never actually used it's Voice Actors when it came to the games, NT just sorta keeps it cheap with subtitles while double team went to the trouble of hiring all new VAs to do shitty impressions.

You know, with everything now days being connected to the internet it makes me wonder why terrorist aren't hacking into everything creating havoc like the WWW. I want Battle Network to be real.

holy shit that webm

.hack has those moments, especially a few in GU.

I remember a part in both games where users were unable to log out, and any message about it in the forums afterwords was scrubbed.

Also the parts of GU describing how advanced the technology was led to some interesting moments.

Like people using cellphones for everything from turning on their car, unlocking their house doors and paying for groceries.

And then the phones wouldn't turn on.

I was honestly fine with NT using subtitles since the japanese voice acting was goddamn atrocious and I could only imagine how disastrous Capcom would have dubbed it.

The Seaside area mostly comes to mind as well as the fucked. Holy shit, getting that water felt like a fucking nightmare.

Nothing personnel kiddo

It kind of does, but most of it comes in the form of people being script kiddies or data miners; occasionally, you see classified stuff like Chinese hackers trying to steal medical patents.

MMBN has the deepest lore

Most terrorists live in a cave in the middle of the desert.

I'm working on it. Give it time.

/secretarea/?

Shh. But really, /secretarea/ doesn't lead to real life battle network. Yet. Single board computers have the potential to. Unfortunately, we don't live in the world of benevolent, utopian government-funded science administrations, so actual social evolution from technology has to compete with opportunists looking to grasp as much money and power as possible. Corporate and government varieties alike.

Bump.

Is it time for meme magic to meme Battle Network to life?

Too late user, it has already begun.

Its about fucking time. Can't wait to fuse with my navi using that machine from 3.

DO IT

3 was the best one though

Aw shit son. This game was the mad notes

Can't wait to bully autists with horrible custom navis with my own just as shitty custom navi

The future is bright.

Can you work DDOSing your opponent into the metagame? :^)

I've been working on an open source Battle Network simulator for months now.

…Unfortunately, I don't know how to program too well. Yes, this actually took months of work because I spent most of my time learning C#.

X series navis popping up in general was a pretty cool idea since they were generally the apex of whatever they were if they popped up at all, I remember Colonel.EXE was on par with or better than ProtoMan. Was looking forward to an X.EXE or stuff like ChillPenguin.EXE but it never got that far along and Star Force showed they pretty much abandoned internet technology in favor of radio technology.

Are you using Unity?

It's XNA. I'm planning on switching to monogame eventually.

Pretty much. Hell, when Iris was introduced in 6, I suppose I liked the game even more since it seemed to be tickling my love for X4. I'm also disappointed that they didn't really expand on this though. Zero.EXE would have been a much cooler secret boss antagonist than Bass was.

Better than what I accomplished, and I know C# very well… I used XNA.

I wanted to have it with a programmable logic set, though. Basically, movement and attacks would flow via a pre-set logic board so you'd have to account for different situations.

Good.

It's something, mate. If you make this work, it's good enough in my book. Magical M is an awful name even if it's a temporary name though

You guys see 522e0f around? I heard Mark shadowbanned him.

I'm planning on making some kind of scripting language so users can create attacks.

Something like:
draw("sword.png"); //This doesn't account for animation or anything, so of course it's not gonna work
damage(x+1,10); //Meaning attack 1 ahead of the spot where the player is

I'm still trying to get a hold of object oriented programming and how classes work. Right now I'm working on the card selection menu, but passing around the graphics device and controls is confusing me since I'm a beginner.

Me and my buddies just gave out random names and we couldn't come up with anything better. I know it sucks.

Honestly surprises me too that they didn't elaborate on Zero.EXE whatsoever since apparently he was redeemed and then turned loose to explore the internet on his own as an operator-less Navi now that he wasn't much harm to anyone without proper reason. I always half-expected him to have found an operator he wanted to go with or pop up against or alongside Bass as a super-boss like you mentioned, or follow up on Zero.EXE with an X.EXE made by Lan's father or some other web-scientist using MegaMan.EXE as a base, maybe Dr. Cossack since he made Bass in the Battle Network course of history and not Wily.

Though I do like Bass on the merits that he's the only character that has a true copy system in Battle Network rather than using chips for ability mimicry, by that metric he's the only "true" Mega Man in the series.

It's not anywhere near ready to be open sourced, there's a lot of code cleanup that needs to be done first + I'm using some copyrighted sprites/music for the other screens

I'll probably put up the source when the next MMBN thread comes around.

Have you played Diablo 2 at all?

There's a few things to be aware of. Types are like a blueprint that says what data and functions an instance of a class has, while objects are instances of a type.

For example, you make two instances of Navi and they each have their own ChipFolder instance, StatTracker, and Position, all separate classes. When you make your battle system, for example, it could have a function that takes a Navi object or a StatTracker object to determine whether something is stunned, able to shoot, etc.

I would recommend you look over this list of keywords and familiarize yourself with them, because they modify what you can "do" in C#.
msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x53a06bb.aspx

Don't get me wrong, Bass is cool and all, but I would have preferred Zero over Bass any day of the week.

As for Zero, I think the main reason he didn't show up after he was introduced was probably because Network Transmission wasn't really well received, by critics and in sales numbers. I think his tragic exclusion was probably more a matter of Capcom trying to sweep what they thought was a mistake under the rug sadly. Which is a shame considering that Network Transmission could have easily worked had they really worked on mixing the two and using both of their strengths rather than using the chips as a crutch to the heavily gimped mega buster.

Currently, navis have a class which gets instanced by the Gameplay class.

I don't know if Holla Forums has [code] enabled, so here's a pastebin of Player.cs instead
pastebin.com/5DiniV3R

And Gameplay.cs if you're interested (It's kinda messy)
pastebin.com/qCpLhqYG

I have not played Diablo 2.

Just looking at your Player class, I'd rewrite to be something like this:
pastebin.com/pa4d9FAK

This is a property. It's similar to a variable in most cases, but what it really does is create an underlying method during compilation that gets or sets the variable in question. It's very handy because you can define the methods to have different access levels, such as making a public-facing variable effectively read-only or immutable.

Oh yeah and there's a few other things.

XNA has a class called Point which contains an integer pair called X and Y. Basically you'd use it as a coordinate system. It also has a Vector2, Vector3, and Vector4 class for 3D (and a clever 2D tricks) that contain X, Y, Z, and W values of type float (a decimal type). You've already found out Rectangle.

One thing you could do, for example, is keep your coordinates as a Vector2, but when you need to use them for eg indexing, do something like:
That's called casting, converting one variable type to another. It would be useful in a situation like this, but it would probably make more sense to just use Point rather than Vector2, since it's the right typing to begin with.

One last thing is to take advantage of the classes in System.Collections.Generic. These are very useful. In particular List, HashSet, and Dictionary, as well as Queue and Stack will all be your friends for managing lots of data.

Thank you for your help. I did not know Point existed.

I haven't looked up what Vector2,3,4 can do, but I'll check it out.

They're basically the same thing as Point, but with more dimensions and with fractional precision.

One reason why they're helpful is that the SpriteBatch.Draw() calls take a Vector2 as the position - you'd have to create a Vector2() from your existing Point data, for example. But it's really handy because it allows you to specify a source Rectangle from the texture, which allows for spritesheet-like drawing behavior.

For my animations for example, I literally just make an int[] and give it the frames to use. It pulls the data as an index in a Rectangle[], and uses that in the draw call. You'll figure out fun little things like that as you go.

I'll make another thread just like this one because I only just started the series and plan on finishing the second one by tomorrow.

bump

Is Mamoru in the wheelchair because of his heart condition, or is there something else wrong with him?

Looks good, for real

Mamoru is the administrator of the Undernet.
He can't walk and relies on a wheelchair to get around. The Undernet is publicly considered the asshole of the internet and consists of anonymous BBS posts.

Mamoru is basically Hotwheels

What makes you think he doesn't know he's admin of the undernet?

I know all that. I beat BN3 the week it came out, and came very close to hundred percenting it. I'm asking what his heart condition has to do with his ability to walk, if anything.

If you have a fucking weak heart, maybe it's a bad idea to strain it

Fair point. If he's so bad off that he has spontaneous life-threatening attacks and surgery is imminent, he's probably not out for a morning jog, let alone getting food by himself.

I wonder what the contingency plan was for the Undernet's administration. Given post-game events, Lan is probably the de facto leader if Serenade ever bites it, but that doesn't handle the actual server. Maybe Tamako can handle it?

Can't believe I'm starting to feel nostalgic already. Hell I even played a little bit of 5 last year, still felt nostalgic.

As in, you'd never owned any video games before 2012, or you'd never had these ones in particular? Either way, I feel for you.

I had a netbook that couldn't run any games, so I played Battle Network through emulators. Even chip challenge was pretty fun.

This could have been not-awful if it kept the regular battle system

I liked the idea of BCC, but I feel like it was poorly executed

Although it's not ready (still), I've decided to put up the source for the MMBN Simulator early.

The code may or may not be much cleaner when the next thread comes around.

github.com/ARCofSpada/MMBNSim

Remember to not play 4

I cloned it but

But you are being hacked right now.

Check the bottom of Holla Forums's FAQ page.

8ch.net/faq.html

Will do

Will you put out house fires for me?

4's worth at least one playthrough, it's shit but it's still worth experiencing.

Here's a neat little visualization of hack attacks going on in realtime. It's not comprehensive, but it's interesting.

map.norsecorp.com/#/

What's the difference between the two versions of the games?

The versions change some of the bosses you fight which effects what souls (replacement for style changes) you get.

Red Sun gets GutsMan, Fireman, WindMan, Roll, ThunderMan, and SearchMan

Blue Moon gets MetalMan, WoodMan, NumberMan, AquaMan, JunkMan, and ProtoMan

Also If you're emulating then Blue Moon has a game breaking bug in WoodMan's scenario that triggers if you get into a random encounter.

>Blue Moon has the cooler souls but if you emulate like you should you're probably fucked

th-thanks

Yeah, you can get around it by stocking up on the subchip that lets you avoid encounters or just by cheating.

Also I think the Wind and Roll souls are pretty cool, plus SearchMan shows up in later games expecting you to know him, so that's a plus for Red Sun.

Also get a load of this plebeian not collecting the physical games

Even BN1 would be preferable

I'm just missing 1 and BCC to finish my BN collection; I'm not good enough of a goy to shell out for more than one version of each though.

Which versions do you have?

White, Red Sun, Colonel for GBA and the DS port, and Gregar. I've emulated the ones I don't own, but I figured It's nice to collect physical copies of things I like.

Shit taste here, but everything else is cool.

The fact that they released white and blue as simultaneous pokemon-esque versions in the US should have been a huge red flag to us about what was coming later on.

You can also get around it with perseverance.

And now I feel like playing them all again. Good job, OP.

I am a busy NEET, I don't have time for this.

Really interested in playing these, since I've played literally every other Mega man series through, even Starforce, which I know is like a sequel series to this.

Anyway I see people here are shitting on the first one. Is it that bad? Should I skip it?

It's just bland, is all. Not awful but if you're used to the likes of 3 and 6, you'll be dozing.

You should start with it, this is a perfect opportunity.

What said. it's not bad, it's just a lot blander than the sequels, in both art direction and mechanics. Also, the conditions to S-rank random encounters are a lot less forgiving than its offspring. good luck S-ranking anything in postgame without oneshotting everything.

but if you start with it and move on the the others, then I feel you'd get a lot more appreciation out of them that way.

i own both copies of BN6. well worth it for both crosses / all scenarios. lot of fun playing with crosses and chips in that game. Meanwhile I tried to replay BN4 (for the other version) and got about as far as Shademan.

It was actually the last game in the series I played. I enjoyed it and found it fun. It's simplistic features-wise but the core gameplay is still there and mostly good. I'd start with it or at least come back to it later (if you start with 2.)

I prefer Gregar's crosses, but I've been meaning to finish the Jap version of Falzar with the translation patch that's supposed to restore the butchered postgame content.