GPU THREAD 3

Welp, now we know that the 1060 is undoubtedly the superior card for the market it's being sold to. Check mate amd. Spread this, btw.

I was thinking of changing to the RX480 is that uncle works at Nintendo poster turned out to be true. But it seems on my i5 2500k the GTX1060 will be better with Vulkan.

When I updgrade my CPU in a few years I will be buying a new GPU anyway.

No one buying a RX480 or GTX1060 bought a top of the line i7.

Previous Threads
Thread 1: archive.is/3BaJi
Thread 2: archive.is/31Zrd

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.geforce.com/default/topic/501853/geforce-drivers/nvidia-forever-ignoring-custom-color-profile-support-in-full-screen-games-collaboration-thread-/1/)
overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-geforce-gtx-1060-reference-design-3072mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-21f-ok.html
overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-rgb-graphics-card-gx-37d-sp.html
overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-187-pc.html
anandtech.com/show/10580/nvidia-releases-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb
top500.org/statistics/list/
caseking.de/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-8192-mb-gddr5-gcpc-043.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rx490 is due soon, wait for that.

Give us this day our daily thread…

Never heard of a general thread.

Yeah, welcome to nvidia shilling general.

It's our job to disprove the shills with facts on why AMD are better.

In what way are AMD better, nVidia BTFO of them with the GTX1060 and now your are shilling wait for the RX490.

A sufficiently overclocked i5 2500k will not bottleneck an AMD card in any meaningful way. If the argument made is that people are dumb to buy a brand new i7 to pair with a RX 480, they certainly are retarded if they're going to pair the GPU with a CPU from 2009 running at stock. Hell, the i5 750 in the OP clocked to 4 GHz probably removes most of any bottlenecking from AMD's cards.

t. Autist in the last thread who benchmarked an AMD and Nvidia card

AMD cards aren't really bottlenecked by a decently clocked i5, and they gain 5-10% performance on Nvidia over time. On the other hand, the RX 480 uses more power and produces more heat. It's a line ball scenario so buy whatever is cheaper.

I'll have to say that these threads are probably the most blatant shilling on Holla Forums I've seen here on 8ch. It's almost impressive how transparent it is.

GTX1060 beats the 480 in all games but one and the 480 only wins in that game if you own a skylake i7.

Retards buy AMD.

You know AMD cards drivers get better with age and nVidia drivers for their Kepler and Maxwell now don't get performance improvements in the drivers. Like AMD just unfucked their OPEN GL drivers and they run good now for PCSX 2 and they still supporting open source driver making on Linux.

Like the 200's and 7000 series are still widely supported by AMD and most of the time match both the nVidia 700 and 900 series. Now AMD also been focusing more on the value segment of the market by replacing the r series cards below the r390 or 290 for cheaper prices.

Also op is shelling nVidia and not using third party cards in the benchmarks also. Plus AMD updated drivers show great performance improvements. The only thing the 1060 is better for is current DX11 titles at high res

This is just a shill thread at this point.
And what reason do i have to get a new gpu when every game i want to play can be played by a mid range non gaming laptop?

Guy in last thread disproved that, he got a 5% increase not like the in 2years the AMD card will be as good as the modern nVidia.

The GTX1060 is 10% better from the start at the same price as the RX480, if in 2years drivers mature and the RX480 get 5% better it's still 5% worse then the GTX1060.

Wow oh gee the 1060 is faster no way?

In every other county other then America the 1060 is cheaper then the 480

Also in America the 1060 is $249 and compare it to the 8gb at $230

Compaire the 3gb 1060 due at $200 to the 4gb 480

Yet another console war thread.
Yeah, yeah, different hardware, same concept. Buy what works for you personally, fuck benchmarks unless they are specifically pertinent to your needs and fuck trying to make one company look bad over another. Stay true to facts. If the facts make your company look like shit (i.e. jewvidia with their The Way It''s Meant to be Played Gameworks bullshit or AMD with their underpowered shitty CPUs) then maybe just settle for calling shit like it is and quit trying to be an apologist for either side.

NO game is exclusive to a certain card. It like starting a console war thread over the PS4 and PS4neo

They both play the same games one is just clearly the better one.

Not vidya, cancerous general. Report and hide.

That graph is unbelievably shitty. The key colors don't match the bars at all.

Here in poland both can be bought for the same price. AMD lost hard this time

Did your mother drop you on your head yesterday?

Gaming Hardware is vidya, I bet you don't complain about 4am and gamergate threads and probably post in them.

Worth upgrading my 970 to a 1080? I'm struggling to see any point right now seeing as there's not really any games out to push it.

Probably wait for the 1080ti or next series of cards.

No I don't. They're just as cancerous but apprently the jewmods are unwilling to ban them regardless of how much faggotry they attract.

That was my feeling as well. See how much performance they push out of the ti

So you're paying 1060 price for a 480?

My 480 is in the mail. I think it'll arrive around chocolate pudding time thanks to the jewish parcel service I use to out-jew border taxes.

My 660 ti died but I'm excited to be able to play Witcher: Wild 3 Hunt in 1080p. I had to play it previously at 720p to keep it 60fps.

>Not vidya

Bad news the RX480 cannot get stable 60fps on Witcher 3

All benchmarks showed it kissing 60fps at Ultra. And I never fell for the Ultra meme so I'm happy as a clown at a mix of medium-high, min post processing. Hell even if it could handle everything at ultra for 60fps I'd still play medium-high since i'm on a high Hz monitor and wouldn't mind seeing even higher FPS.

What's been powering your gaming lately anons?

Probably, amd failed to get price advantage in europe.

They fucked up.

Average of under 50fps without hairworks is pretty poor if you bought the card for that game.

Should of got the GTX1060 at least for the Witcher 3, I might have gone to the GTX1070 to make the best of it. But the 8% performance boost of the GTX1060 for the same price as the RX480 the GTX1060 was the card to buy in that price range.

So what card is actually the best value for money at this point in time?

GTX1060, Bang for buck and want to max out 60fps 1080p then probably the GTX1070.

I think TW3 is just badly optimized. I have a 1070 and I still get occasional frame dips.

Still a RX480 costs the same as a GTX1060 but is 8% worse performing, who would by a RX480

There is absolutely no reason to have this thread daily

I'd say RX 480. I'm on my phone so I can't look up benchmarks, but I think it's about equal to a 970, maybe a bit weaker.

If your budget is really tight, I'd go with that. If you can push it, I'd get a 1060. There's also the chance that people are selling their old 970s/980s on eBay and you can pick them up for cheap.

I thought the 480 was $200?

I saw a video about why this is: games prefer fewer, stronger cores (Intel) vs lots of weak cored (AMD). If you were building a budget server or a BOINC machine, you'd want AMD because their CPUs can act like budget Xeons.

In America

RX480 - $239
GTX1060 -$249

In Europe the GTX1060 is cheaper then the RX480

Niggah what did I just say?

But even if you lower the setting you are 8% worse off then the same price GTX1060. Instead of use mid textures on your RX480 you could of got the GTX1060 for the same price and used High.

USA wins again.

The $200 4GB RX480 is a marketing stunt which doesn't exist.

Sure, someone has to pay up for burger's discount.

I didn't buy the card for Witcher, it's just one of the very few games that I play that is graphically intenseive and ever made me play at 720p to get good FPS (outside of TEW but that was shit and I played it on family share).

Not really.

1060 is more expensive here and the exchange rate compounds that. (I have to buy the card @ £ with my €). After all taxes and shipping are finished it was either €259 for the 480 or 300+ for the 1060. I'm on a strict budget and wasn't interested in upgrading in the first place. Also I don't like nvidia drivers which is why I was in the market to get an AMD card. My 660ti died after merely 3 years + the never ending driver issues with colour ( forums.geforce.com/default/topic/501853/geforce-drivers/nvidia-forever-ignoring-custom-color-profile-support-in-full-screen-games-collaboration-thread-/1/) both on windows and linux. The promise for Vulkan seeing as I primarily game and do everything on linux, booting to windows only for Witcher 3 and a handful of other games.

I'll probably be able to get textures to high on the 480. I'm good at setting the graphic options in games. Shadows low (they often look better than high), post processing minimum etc. I'm sure I can pull it off. And if I can't, no big deal. Game's a fucking hog and a gimpworks title.

I played the whole thing @ 720p. It was fine except for the times when I was just chilling around looking at enviornments. Needed the 1080p.

Is my GTX 560 worth replacing?
I don't see any new releases worth upgrading for.

If it's still kickin', fucking keep that shit. If you do bother getting a new nvidia card, maybe make your 560 a dedicated physX card. check benchmarks for that, though.

I personally would've stuck with my 660ti until 9th gen consoles.

Well, it draws a lot of power and has only 1 GB.
So upping it to 4 or 6 would be a huge upgrade.

If you can afford it and you want to, might as well. What's your budget?

Oh and remember, power usage is usually not significant enough to base a consumer-grade GPU around.

Muh usual budget was 150 €, this is what the GTX 560 did cost in 2011. But it doesn't seem to give me anything decent these days. So I might up that to 250 €.
Not if you pay 15 cents per gaming hour (increasing by 15 % per year) and can reduce that to a half or a third of that.
Replacing that 2009 AMD CPU with a decent Intel paid off within a year for idle power alone.

Meh. I still think power usage is a meme, at least between the GPUs on offer. I've seen a few videos about it. THe difference per month for me is barely anything. I'd be picking up pennies in fountains if I gave enough shits about that kind of money.

It's like steam trading cards. It makes naught difference when you think of the price of other basic living expenses and how much you could do to make them more cost effective. Pretty much the only thing that uses a lot of electricity outside of my fridge and oven is my computer. The electricity bill is low because I'm good with lights n' such. I'd never pick a GPU because it took less power (unless it was crazy amounts but it never is).

Anyway at that budget (250) you're in the same situation I am. RX 470/480 or GTX 1060. Word around the office is 470 is best value card atm.

I would get the 480 over the 470 price wise, but would just buy the GTX1060 overall anyway.

friendly reminder that posting in threads like these drives down the quality of the board

reminder to never bump, never participate, and never chime in with your opinion with threads like these

friendly reminder that posting in threads like these drives down the quality of the board

reminder to never bump, never participate, and never chime in with your opinion with threads like these

A tech and vidya thread brings down the quality of the board? While 4am and gamergate threads exist.

You not from here are you? 4am threads are a chan tradition.

The thread is shit due to shelling by both sides are going on,

Now lets talk about retro gpus for Windows 98, ,which one is better for games Voodoo 2 or TNT 2?

I really need to play slave zero, since it run like shit on machine

Nice try, Shlomo.
At most the GTX 1060, a card that costs upwards of $100 more than an RX 480, is only 7% faster than the RX 480 @1080p.
As the resolution increases, the scales are tipped in favor of the RX 480 but who the fuck is going to be trying to play 4K on a mid-range GPU anyway?

These are cards that you'd get in a Dell, not cards that you should be considering as someone who is serious enough about gaming to frequent gaming forums.

84% of the market is $300 and below GPUs.
RX 480-GTX 1060 slot between $200-$300.

prebuilt machines don't come with GPUs, they use APUs if you're lucky or Intel iGPUs.

$239 vs $249 and the GTX1060 is cheaper in Europe.

All that and the GTX1060 is 7% faster for standard card vs a top of the line OC 480.

If you compaired the standard 1060 vs 480 in that graph the GTX1060 is 11% faster.

Nigga where are they the same price?

Entry Level:

GTX1060 £188
RX480 £209

overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-geforce-gtx-1060-reference-design-3072mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-21f-ok.html

overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-rgb-graphics-card-gx-37d-sp.html

Normal versions:
GTX1060 £229
RX480 £227

overclockers.co.uk/powercolor-radeon-rx-480-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-187-pc.html

You would be stupid to buy AMD.

Holy shit, I just realized the entry GTX1060 is cheaper then the RX470. AMD shills on suicide watch.

Why do people keep making the exact same thread with the exact same OP?

It's like you never seen a general thread before.

Report & hide

People keep repeating this when it only seems to be the case in a few countries at best.

No I understand the concepts of generals, but this OP references a single instance that happened months ago that nobody really cares about as if it were pushing some kind of idea

In America the GTX1060 is $10 more only, but AMD shills are super butthurt about it so make up lies like that one.

Best part is in Europe the GTX1060 is the same price or even cheaper then the RX480.

You bet your fucking ass I'm buying two of those fuckers soon.

faggots

Buying a RX480 when the GTX1060 is $10 more for 11% performance increase.

Jen's marketing team getting better or is Mark on this too? Every single fucking day holy fuck.

Again, I'm an EU fag and it's (1060) significantly more expensive than the 480.

But who cares. I don't think most people on 8ch are brand loyal. I think people should just get whatever gets them a better deal. If that's the 1060 in your country then so be it. But people try to shit it up by stating things like it's the case with the global economy, disregarding differences in how taxes are handled, currency exchange etc.

I bought the 480 only after checking all my options and verifying the exchange rate and customs taxes.

So my 480 is going to arrive tonight. They even sent me an email with a picture of it at the depot. Pretty good service this counter-jewish border hack.

What country and what the 8gb RX480 goes for with a link.

I have not seen the GTX1060 being way more expensive in any EU country.

If this is how Nvidia shills do their work, they would be better off finding better shills.

You made the claim first. You find the links

And I proved it see

Post me the RX480 you bought and the country and I will look for a gtx1060 for that price.

whoopsie. forgot link:
anandtech.com/show/10580/nvidia-releases-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb

fuck your slave zero. MDK up in this bitch

If by "general thread" you mean shilling thread made by a total retard, then no.

Did the maker of this specify what the size of the VRAM was?

I will buy both and swap them as needed.

Come the fuck on. I hope at least the shills spewing that shit are getting paid.

maybe in america

It's easy to offer a lower price of a card that isn't in stock.

Then in Britain there's no reason to get an RX 480 if the GTX 1060 is cheaper - I understand that, and that's shitty pricing on AMD's part.
But GBR is a very small island nation compared to the rest of the EU.
I'd honestly really like to see what the rest of the EU prices are like but I don't know what their tech sites are.

Do you think that as soon as the card was/is in stock they're just going to raise the price?
The RX 480 has gotten a fuck ton of shipments since launch.

Possibly. It happened with the GTX 1080. I ended up paying $40 more than the price when it was out of stock.

So with both Intel and Nvidia quite literally dominating the Supercomputing sector, will AMD ever recover from this and be relevant in high-end computing ever again?
Source:
top500.org/statistics/list/

AMD will never die, after all, they dominate the console market currently, and Intel needs them to exist so they don't get hammered with anti-trust shit, that and Intel pays AMD a large sum to use 64-bit extensions to the x86_64 architecture

But its quite obvious AMD really fell off the wagon and is struggling to even get the low-end market with Intel Atoms running laps around it

To be fair, intel literally jewed AMD and the market pretty fucking bad and even with the record breaking fines against intel it meant nothing overall because the damage was already done and they still made way more in profit than the fines could make up. Of course AMD itself is not free of blame due to their shit leadership after the guy who handed out hundred dollar bills to employees out the door left.

Funnily enough RX 480 prices have actually came down since launch. Price gouging by shitty AIBs like Gigabyte and I think Diamond, also third party resellers.

Have you ready anything about the new upcoming Zen?

They showed an 8C/16T Zen engineering sample last night performing better than the $1,100 USD i7 6900K.
Jim Keller might have worked his magic once again.

Not to mention they already showed off 32C/64T dual socket server AM4 motherboards.
Fun stuff.

Do we even know how much Zen will cost and when its coming to market exactly? Didn't people say the same things about Piledriver?

No mention on cost.
I don't really think AMD has an option to try and price it even similar to the i7 6900K - Intel brand recognition, poor AMD reputation, etc.
AMD needs to undercut to regain marketshare, they aren't in a position to demand 1K like an Intel can for an 8C/16T CPU.

But who knows, because the FX 9XXX CPUs were at one point around 1K~ USD.

also it is important to note that the only benchmark they showed was from a Blender rendering scene, and AMD actually downclocked the 6900K to match the Zen 8C/16T CPU.
That's actually very interesting because AMD weakpoint since bulldozer has been their abysmal IPC, but now apparently their IPC is on par with Intel Broadwell-E CPUs.

Sperging aside, the release date for Summit Ridge AM4 is Q4 2016 in limited quantities and full release in Q1 2017.

fuck me daddy

Expectations are already low especially since they'll have to compete with intel's 10nm on zen's 14nm.

Keep in mind even if they did beat intel like they did with athlon 64 it'll realistically end up the same way. They do not have their own foundry with good decent yields and the supply will choke them just like before.

Having the best shit does not even guarantee success either. Literally the most competitive thing AMD has technology-wise is their GPUs which has beaten Nvidia multiple times in sheer power but it has never not even once overtaken Nvidia despite having the technologically superior card. That is because AMD has fuck all marketing compared to intel or Nvidia and any that they do have is absolute shit. Sell off that stock now before the Chinese buy it for cheap to destroy the US with.

They never were relevant at the high end. I used to work at a lab which was was doing "climate" simulations and there was a brief moment of interest in AMD in the Athlon/Opteron days as while Intel was busy sinking the Itanic, AMD had updated their consumer-grade line with multiple memory controllers, NUMA, and a 64 bit instruction set. There were rumblings about making a shitheap supercomputer out of consumer-grade AMD parts to avoid going down on Intel's ship, but Intel got its head out of its ass and AMD went back to sleep and no one cared ever again.

I'm jealous as fuck for the people who bought AMD stock at sub $2-FUCKING-dollars.
I think it's $7 a share right now? Vega and Zen are set to release next quarter, I wouldn't be surprised if AMD stock hits $10 a share.

They don't have anyone to blame but themselves for going fabless.

The fact that AMD ($1B~ company) can compete with not only Nvidia ($9B~) but Intel ($103B~, over 100x the value of AMD) is pretty astounding to me.

Intel's yearly R&D is probably several times more than the worth of AMD as a whole.

It's hard to imagine that at one point AMD was going to buy out Nvidia in the mid 2000s.

It shouldn't be that astounding. Intel and Nvidia only put in as much effort as they believe is necessary to stay on top of the competition. That's why things went so slow for years, they were both deliberately advancing only slightly faster than AMD. The reason why things sped up massively in the past couple years is Nvidia and Intel suddenly found themselves in competition in the rapidly expanding deep learning market (see the recent dick measuring contest over the Phi) and Intel and Samsung are now in competition in that space as well (suddenly new memory technologies and 32TB SSDs, what a coincidence!) so R&D is way up.

4gb RX480 get compared to the 3gb GTX1060 which costs $200 too.

That's the 8gb Rx you mong. Are they taking on more paid shills where you're working? I could do a better job.

Poor pajit is shilling so badly, he's not getting any pay. He's gonna be beaten up by the sweatshop manager with a bamboo stick.

GTX 1060 is going to get shit on by the 4GB RX 480.
GTX 1060 3GB might as well be a whole different SKU as it has less Cuda Cores than the 8GB version.
It might as well be a 1050 Ti.

Sort of weird to have this big clusterfuck of $200-$300 cards.
RX 470, RX 480 4GB, RX 480 8GB, GTX 1060 3GB, GTX 1060 6GB, not to mention all the older EOL cards that are being sold between $200-$300 to get rid of inventory.

Pretty sure XFX was selling the Fury X for $350 or so not too long ago. I would take a Fury X over a 1070 for $100 cheaper to be honest.
It's only a matter of time before the Fury X starts edging out past the 1070 as that's already happening with the 980 Ti, and the 1070 = 980 Ti in performance in most scenarios.

Someone has to pay up for the discount.
1060 is cheaper in €uro, too.

links?

So I should get a 480 if I have a top of the line I7?

Cheapest 480

Cheapest 1060

Most of them for in the RX480 and GTX1060 are in the €279-289 range.

If it's a skylake i7 then if it's a lot cheaper yeah, if they GTX1060 is only $10 more it has a 11% performance so go with that.

But if you can buy a i7 skylake I would get a GTX1080 or wait for the RX490

Pricing is definitely much closer than the US, but they're still not more expensive than the GTX 1060 6GB.
Still it's a gaffe on AMD's part.

That chart is bullshit and you know it. It has nothing to do with needing an i7, AMD GPUs suffer from singlethreaded driver overhead, specifically in DX11.
If you have an i3, the RX 480 will still pound the GTX 1060 into submission in Doom.

I'm not sure why that chart went from a 2016 CPU to 20-fucking-09 - but that's not true, I know why. That chart was deliberately made to mislead people.

I have one, but I flashed it and unlocked the 8GBs.

Also, the 470 exists and is $170 and is about the same speed as a 480

8GB RX480 - €269
6GB GTX1060 - €279

4GB RX480 - €249
3GB GTX1060 - €229

Love how you you cropped out the cheaper GTX1060 cards but started the RX480 at the cheapest.

I see what you are doing AMD Shill

The reason I cropped out the 3GB version cards were because they are not GTX 1060 performance.
They're different cards almost entirely in all but name.

It was intentional because the difference is not just 3GB of VRAM, the 3GB GTX 1060 should be a different SKU as a whole because it has less CUDA cores than the 6GB version.
It's basically the equivalent to the RX 470 which has 4 less CUs than the RX 480.

I'd heard that you could flash 4GB reference 480s to 8GB.
Pretty cool.

I wonder if anyone has gotten to unlock an RX 470->RX 480 yet?

I agree we should only be comparing 8gb RX480's with 6gb GTX1060's, if AMD shills want to bring in cut down cards then it has to compaire the cutdown 4gb RX480 vs the cut down GTX1060.

The 3gb 1060 lost cores, it's a 1050 in all but name. The 4gb 480 is the same PCB as the 8gb.

I still think power usage is a meme
More power usage equals more heat, it's not a meme.

It's like watching homeless dude fighting over a cheeseburger

RX480 is the top-range AMD card.

they haven't released the highest end of that series yet same goes for nvidia

So what was the best old gpu maker 3DFX or Imagtion ?

image quality
games support
custom version support

Nvidia kikes absolutely BTFO

Was 4GB.

It arrived 3 nights ago. Loving it so far. I like the FPS throttle the AMD drivers have so you can leave in-game FPS uncapped but the GPU cap it. Seems to have less drops this way.

Linux drivers aren't working for me, though. I get no GUI no matter if I install free/nonfree.

You're telling me. I'm running an R9 Nano, absolutely love it.

Still on an i5 2500k, although with a 4.5ghz OC. I don't want to upgrade until I see how Zen is.

4GB compares to the 3gb GTX1060 which the GTX1060 being cheaper.

Same I will wait cause the 2500k is still good but want a upgrade to an 8c/16t CPU, Though I am expecting ZEN to be another bulldozer which I nearly waited for but after it got delayed a year I just got the 2500k instead.

Best choice I ever made.