/agdg/ + /vm/ Thread

Sorry for taking so long in making another thread edition.

Post your progress, ask any doubts you have about development, or ask for feedback for your game or mod.

Remember, there's #8/agdg/ in Rizon for discussion, we also have resources and FAQs in >>>/agdg/ and >>>/vm/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SviIeTt2_Lc&list=PLFt_AvWsXl0ctd4dgE1F8g3uec4zKNRV0
monstergirlisland.com/
my.mixtape.moe/umimyl.zip
my.mixtape.moe/gcfimk.zip
my.mixtape.moe/ttlfad.mp3
my.mixtape.moe/vwaffw.mp3
soundcloud.com/user-386122191/gen-gauntlet-iv-transparent-obstacle
youtube.com/watch?v=MaOlDwRyjjI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitoshi_Sakimoto
3dartistonline.com/news/2016/08/have-a-cool-3d-character-enter-it-in-reallusions-contest/
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Allen_(author)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

New to programming, using Ruby and I wanted to know something about strings and arrays. Say I want an array like this:

['Arse Bandit', 'Dick Fondue', 'Kiddle Piddle']

What'd be the difference between using single and double quotes?

Double quotes allow for string interpolation and character escapement, single quotes don't.
Well, you can still escape the single quote character in single quotes, but that's about it.

Consult your local botnet for information next time. If "ruby single double quotes" (without quotes) gives an adequate answer as the first result, you probably need to work on how to look things up. You'll be doing a lot of it.

I did that but I saw someone say that for a string in an array if you used single quotes, you needed an escape for space but when I tested it nothing changed, so I wanted confirmation on what it actually did.

Guess I shouldn't be so darn stupid.

Should I got with Unreal 4 or Unity? Also, what are some good books or videos to watch for beginners when it comes to making 3D games?

Unreal 4 is generally better, but requires a better computer to run, also has some mildly confusing aspects to it. uses c++
unity is easier to learn, although there's no default visual scripting methods (unless you buy one from the asset store, i wouldn't recommend doing this or using visual scripting at all)
unity only uses c# (and javascript but it's shit)
unity can run like shit some times, but it does run on worse toasters than unreal
for unity, watch this playlist
youtube.com/watch?v=SviIeTt2_Lc&list=PLFt_AvWsXl0ctd4dgE1F8g3uec4zKNRV0

Isn't the UE4 engine supposed to work on mobile devices?

there are mobile devices that work better than some toasters
i don't know, on my laptop i have to lower the resolution scale in order to get unreal demos i made to run at 60 fps
then again it has an integrated GPU, so yeah

Why does her vagina light up?

Yeah, it is designed to run on phones and tablets, Epic's been placing some significant effort on making it work there.

hmm that sounds a bit odd imo

I wonder if those UE4 games for mobiles will work finely on toasters with emulator or whatever.

I'm sure my computer can handle Unreal 4, but maybe I should go with Unity first considering there is more stuff out there for developing vidya with it.

I figure if Cuckdev can do it then so can I.

Maybe, that's something that I've been wondering myself, given how my 6670 can only run my game at 40 FPS on 720p and low.

It uses specific shaders and stuff when building for mobile to make it lighter to run.

Who?

yandaredev

Is the shader exclusive for mobile or is there a way to force UE4 Engine to use the mobile shader for PC?

Why wouldn't it?
Robo-Waifus are needed in this world

My experience is that you actually need to have a project to work towards that forces you to look up specific techniques to achieve the effect you want. Just mildly following generic tutorials doesn't force your brain to absorb much.

I'm making a lowpoly game. Only reason for UE4 is PhysX and Blueprints.

But I notice that with Unity I always browsed the asset store, while with UE4 I thought about how I can implement things out of the box first, thus less dependency on the asset store.

inspired me to make a 3D waifu game, I have no clue what I'm doing half the time.

I think it's exclusive, especially since you need a specific viewer to get accurate previews. PC hardware and mobile hardware are quite different.

I see. While Cuckdev is an accurate description of him, it's also an accurate description of half the industry. Hence the question.

Oh damn, that really sucks.

This happened when I baked my lights. What the devil dicks.

I'm the guy from yesterday who had area light problems by the way

Because, she has her forcefield and that's the emitter. duh.

dude fix your animation transitions

Your cloth physics have been twitching around since the beginning because the character juts from one animation to another like that, especially when you go from walking to standing.

that's a nice.. uh, wait a sec, I forgot what you were trying to show

Add wall jumps and Q4-style butt slides and I'll love you forever.

I am not sure how to unwrap a cone thing… Is this the correct way to do it?

Should I continue banging my head against the wall until I find some hidden library for rendering transparent volumes and jiggle physics or give up on it altogether?

Depends what it's supposed to look like. If the sides are supposed to be seamlessly merged with the top, I'd do pic related. If the sides have a separate surface, then I'd make them a straight strip on the texture, as opposed to that curved thing.

Looks OK, or you could put each of the other faces on their sides like

Project from view my friend.

for the transparency is a matter of using a shader.

Alright I will use that then. Also can it cause some issues if the Pattern doesn't match properly like pic related?

It'll be very difficult to make it always match. The most important thing is that the squares are about the same size on both sides, not that they align.

Are you using Unity or Unreal? UE4 has Nvidia Flex, which includes a fluid physics library, so you could check that out. If you're using Unity, I dunno.

Forget the transparency thing, I just woke up and forgot that Tesseract already has good support for transparency.

Nope, Tesseract. Aside from soft-body/jiggle physics (which are optional but would make goo girls look more convincing) it fills some really specific requirements without being a resource hog.

There's too much inertia after the character stops. Try to increase the deceleration rate.

I posted last thread about undertaking a refactoring of my tech demo stuff.

So far so good! I still have to redo a couple pieces, but so far I've got it to render the "voxel" chunk correctly. The system I'm setting up isn't going to be pure voxels, it'd kind of a hybrid system. These are all just test pieces, it isn't saving anything yet. How it generates is by creating an 8x8 grid (an int[64]), and then by making a 64 long array out of those. At this point, its only generating 8x8 grids of either emptiness, cubes, or random data, and then loading those up randomly into the array. It isn't spawning 64x64 actors though, check the screenshot.

Next up is building a system to make an "array" of those so I can build it as big as I want on the X/Y.

all blueprint btw, it's pretty comfy

hmm

How fast is it?

So uh. What's that from?Is there a non-VR version?
As for those physics, I don't see how octrees are supposed to make collision meshes retarded.

so far, its super fast; but I haven't scaled it all the way up yet. The original code was much slower, but with a few optimizations it seems to be running much better. this model is built with instances, all of that geometry renders as a single unit.

I'm not going to be doing a traditional minecraft/voxel game, the majority of the game area won't be editable, nor will it generate on the fly. Instead I'm going to do world gen when you create the map, and then give limited options to change/add things depending on what was generated. This way I don't have to deal with constantly changing values, so that I can optimize the maps "voxel" stuff before the player ever loads it. As well as other stuff like making AI navigation routes, which would eat up a lot more CPU doing it real time as apposed to set up before the player starts the game.

The engine stores the world as a six-directional heightmap which works beautifully for realtime editing and collusion detection. Other physics engines like ODE support plugging in your own scene representation, but Bullet absolutely insists on precomputed collusion meshes which don't fit the engine's design philosophy well and take a while to compute, interrupting the flow of editing (which is why the engine picked up global illumination to replace precomputed lightmaps).

sauce is monstergirlisland.com/ , dev also posts on >>>/monster/158292 sometimes

stores geometry*

Alright here is the mesh. I suggest you should try out if the UV Layout is gud enouff or not, if not well I try to fix it somehow.

my.mixtape.moe/umimyl.zip

Texturing Guidelines:
-GZDoom has support for ONLY Diffuse and Brightmaps, but I don't really see how Brightmaps can improve it much.

-Either make it CCCP/Russkie Styled or American like.

For American styled you can make it "Hi-Tech" looking like idk Deus Ex or sumffin', colors can be either blue, gray, olive, brown.

For Russkie Styled it can be (bright-)green, gray-dark gray, somewhat red.

You can apply camouflages to it

If you make it dirty then don't make it came right of a damn swamp or so, the crews are maintaining it.

-For the logo you can go creative and make it a bit "crazy" looking or so.

You don't need to bother with the tracks, but if you want to do it anyway then make a separate texture or so, it should be animated if possible. My tracks are animated via several textures.

Well if you have something else in mind then shout it.

So, how does /agdg/ feel about Godot? Been thinking of trying it out. Documentation looks a little sparse, but it seems pretty cool and there's a good amount of tutorials

Argh shit I forget a few parts, lemme fix it first.

I've used Godot and it's pretty good.

Programming is tough.
Still learning C, what libraries should I learn first?

Here fixed it. Sorry for the trouble.
my.mixtape.moe/gcfimk.zip M4A2_Sherman_Fixed.zip

So /agdg/,

Blender, or a plundered copy of 3DS Max? Will people be able to tell that my models were made in a pirate copy of 3DS Max? (are people even able to tell what program a model was made in at all?) And is Blender being free worth the vomit-inducing UI?

I have some experience with 3DS Max as I took a course that had it back in high school, but do not want to risk getting fugged because my models came from a non-legit program, hence why I have blender as a backup option.

Your local one

Just export it, import it in blender and export it there to be absolutely sure am I right?

Your jokes suck and your shit's all retarded

Nigger, just get over the UI and get Blender. It'll save you plenty of trouble. If 13 year old me could do it and model regularly until I got gud, then so can you.

I have never heard of such cases yet that somebody got busted for using a pirated copy of 3DS Max by means of inspecting the model.

Through to be honest I would like to know that myself.

He's got a point, though. Hitting the books isn't a bad idea. What kind of libraries did you have in mind? Just utilities, graphics or something more akin to an engine or framework?

Also, my not-game can beat up your not-game. It's got two kinds of boxes.

I don't know what the fuck I am looking at, but those are some nice boxes. I have no idea what I'm doing in comparison.

I'm looking for a bit of everything, recommendations for graphic/game engine libraries, network libraries or just a one-in-all package.
My biggest concern is that it works for most computers out of the box with high portability, which is why I chose C.

bump

Why does its head look like a robot version of the reddit mascot's head?

What's your previous experience with punching in code? "Learning C" is easy. It's a simple language. But learning how to program or engineer anything is a completely different skillset. Knowing how to use a chisel doesn't mean you can make a good statue, even if you're really, really good at whackin' that thing with a mallet. And it's far from the only way to craft a statue.

Maybe start smaller. Get SDL or something and try to implement something a little simpler, like Pong or Tetris.

If you try to build a massive bridge before you're apt to stack bricks, you're going to run into endless time-consuming mistakes that might not become apparent until much, much later.
So stack some bricks. You'll likely run into what you need as you go along, but the price of failure, exploration and redesign is orders of magnitude cheaper on small projects.

Just got rid of one more item on my list for the next update: lowering weapons. It was something simple, really. Like aiming down sights. It just needed a boolean variable to be set in the client and the server, and a new state in the animation blueprint's main state machine.

What needs work are those animations and rigging, that's the focus here. However, since I will be away from my main rig for a while, I'm dealing with programming, and leaving asset creation for later, since that can be done in less powerful computers.

I wanna hug it

I still barely know the standard libraries, and I keep forgetting the function names.

I agree, use sdl, it's super easy.

Well, if youre just starting with the language then a game is probably too complex, although you could start with pong or Tetris as previous user stated. And don't worry about function names or what arguments they take, you have google on your disposal.

bumping

(not my .gif, but its pretty neato)

I've been using it for 3D and it's pretty good, albeit unfinished. For 2D it's very fleshed out and I would definitely recommend it.

Is there some repository where one can upload music for the amateur devs to use?

I can't into code, but I can sorta into production.

hmm care to upload a few samples to mixtape.moe?

Something me and a pal are working on now. It's not done, but it's loopable.

my.mixtape.moe/ttlfad.mp3

In it's current state I rate it a solid "pretty OK".

Thanks my dude.

I don't know if its just me but it sounds a bit like Unreal 1.

That's a pretty interesting way of doing static geometry and collisions.

I have some experience with Bullet. You could build a hybrid system with Bullet softbody for 1 or 2 dynamic actors to interact with while maintaining minimal or no interaction of them with the world geometry.

SDL or GLFW (but probably SDL & SDL_audio). GLFW has pretty good gamepad functions though. OpenAL at some point once you outgrow SDL audio.

Honestly that's pretty much all you need for a few simple games to learn the basics.

Yeah I'm going to add a slide to stop animation later when she's running above a certain speed threshold. Right now I'm still working on strafing. I do use blendspaces, though the transition windows I'm using are very narrow so they're barely noticeable. I want fast, almost keyframe-like poses, with trail effects it might register better on the brain.

Good suggestions. Thanks.

I used to use the Student Version of 3DS Max to reorient my blender models so they would work properly in UE4, especially those that are to be animated like vehicles. It does write on the source file that it was created with a non-commercial copy, but I don't think it will register on exported FBXs. Dunno about plundered copies.

Blender is all about the shortcut keys. I love it.

Look at me, I'm breaking rule 8.

Take your pills, Mark.

hush goy, avatarfags need to be crucified
are you ever gonna put the horse mask back in the game?

but that's a meme

holy shit

meanwhile i am struggling with variables in ren'py
turns out that CoC battle engine isn't going to be hard at-fucking-all, pop-out UI might cause trouble but ehh

Nigga that's kawaii

yeah, I'll try to keep it small scale at first. I figure it's best not to make the games I really want to make before knowing how the nuts and bolts work.

yeah, definitely can't fault you there.

I'm the guy who explained area lights to you. Which version of Unity to you use?

Encounters and sequences mostly done.

there should be a bit of a pause before the position
when are you gonna make boss fights

before the transition*

Have you considered using picture-in-picture for showing those cutscenes, rather than making them fullscreen?
That would be better for the pacing.

There is a pause between the enemy dying and the sequence, if that's what you mean. I can make it longer.

Boss fights are already supported, just tag an enemy as a boss and the HUD will show its health bar. Of course, it shouldn't be a regular enemy, but one made specifically for the fight. I'll make those when I work on the stages they're supposed to be in, naturally.

Not gonna happen.

oh wait, are you gonna put an AI version of the player waifu to fight in there? same moves and everything

Got a possible character design for a heroic antagonist for Space Pirate in Space. Bounty hunter working for the weeb space empire that chases down the player for being a pirate.
Not sure which would be better.

Also, thanks to the user that suggested Bfxr. Combining stock gunshot/cannon sounds with a bloop and doing a couple tweaks seems to make a really cool laser firing sound.
my.mixtape.moe/vwaffw.mp3

I'm gonna have a lot of fun mixing sound effects now.

You might recognize these guys. The one on the right is currently working on a more sophisticated version here: www.sfbgames.com/chiptone/
Jesus Christ, Decline was nothing short of prophetic.

I started implementing my game using LibGDX, anyone here use IntelliJ IDEA? Why is adding external dependencies such a pain? I add a library to my Project Structure (trying to add a maven repository) and then set it as a dependency under Modules but then when I restart it's gone. Am I missing something obvious here or is Idea just broken as fuck?

Also. I added it to the main build.gradle twice, once in the heading and then once under core, so that much should at least be kosher.

That's an excessively detailed character

Not exactly, but…

What functions and status notifications would a space ship have, assuming the ship is controlled by giving "commands" and not by using arrow keys or whatever? What games can I get ideas from?

FTL is the only game I know of.

I'm planning to have space ships in my game that you build piece by piece, and you'll have to add sensors and buttons/levers to control it.

the half-cape version (left)

I agree with this user, but would like to add to remove that front flap over the crotch and to instead add the belt from #2 in its place

If it's user designed I would suggest making trigger types for different conditions and then having them user labeled by name and category.

As for the types themselves, it's almost limitless. High pressure or low pressure, no power or low or high power , noxious air types heat etc

The ship will be built with a system that's reminiscent of minecraft redstone, except you can contain logic wiring inside a box that only takes up 1 space.

So for example if you want to fire up a booster, you'll have to activate it by running power into it. If you want to be alerted about a threat, you'll need to install some kind of scanner and hook it up to an alarm light.

I'm not entirely sure what or how involved I want this to be like, so I'm looking for ideas of what you could do in the ship. If I can't come up with enough interesting things, I might just have a central terminal that does everything and building is mostly for weapons/armor/looks.

Also, after looking at it again for a minute, I'd like to add that you should streamline the vertical aspects of it, and remove some of the horizontal lines from the armor pieces. Since the cape is a long vertical shape, it sort of sets the visual precedent for the character and the horizontal lines clash with it.

I.E. the greaves on #2 look better than #1, IMO; but keep the kneecaps from #1.

In that same style though, of only having vertical plating, you should redo the hip and shoulder armor to remove the horizontal aspects, and make them all vertical armor pieces.

For something like the shoulder armor, that might need to move around, you might not be able to do one long vertical piece, but in this case, go with the armor from #2 in 2 pieces, rather than #1, which has 3.

wew. that feelio when everything actually works is worth it though.

Stage 1-1 of my game Speebot.

how2maek gaem ???

Learn to program.

ok now vwhat?

Now make game.

nice progress dude, looking comfy

how2maek gaem ???

just like make game™

only because you have trips.

answer these questions:

how good of a programmer are you?

would you learn a new language?

what kind of game do you want to make?

what platform do you want to make it for?

yes

no

maybe

I don't know

there's no point explaning

what language can you program in?

the genre doesn't always dictate the language/engine, but in many cases it does. You need to have an idea of what you want to make before you can pick which direction to go.

do you want to make a web game? pc? mobile? you need to select some criteria to go from.

Gosh it's so cute how you kept going, I'm giving you a straight answer because of that.
I know Python and I'm learning C, I've tried making a game with Godot before but the node system did way more harm than good(you don't NEED to organize everythign properly due to how it works, but it gives me fucking ocd if the nodes aren't perfectly organized into a neat tree) and I realized that I hate everything that wasn't coding.
Right now I'm just going to learn how to code in more languages, and hopefully in the future I'll just be the codegoy

Good news, the latest Godot update made the node system not cancer. You can drag shit to reparent now. And there's right-click context menus and shit.

sounds like you should learn gamemaker

I'd rather not

I'm planning on a 2-D sidescroller with a 3-D character, much like New Super Mario Bros. What's better for this idea, Gamemaker Pro or Unity?

The design is cool but it's REALLY busy. Try to reduce it as much as you can and put more emphasis on the silhouette.

That's like choosing between cancer and aids.

Okay smart guy, what would you recommend?

Keep in mind I'd like some sort of programming program so I can do this in under five years.

No, guys, seriously. These are honest questions.

Who are you quoting?

You could have just said "I don't know", shitposter.

How about you do your own research instead of asking to be spoonfed then?

HaxeFlixel

nigga wtf r u doin

It's not so much that people don't know, but that is such an obtuse, odd and ambiguous question that it displays a profound lack of both knowledge and humility. Not to mention that it can be about as dogmatic as any "what X is best" argument can get.

Like asking what's a good house-building tool. A hammer? A pencil for drafting? A system of architecture? A construction company offering a service? Just the construction or design as well? A kind of heavy machinery? A specific brand of a specific kind of heavy machinery? Construction isn't just fucking house-building done with a house-building tool, even if you offer a timeframe.

Even the most superficial of research will at least tell you what's out there, what you're in for, and narrow down what you're trying to find. It's a craft where you will need to do a lot of independent research.

Has it ever happened to you, that you add some monster to your game and then when you are testing stuff, you notice that it moves two tiles per turn, unlike every single other creature in the game, and you have no idea why that happens?

also, few years ago I found roguelike tutorial on roguebasin and decided that I want to make a roguelike with no prior experience in programming or stuff
my friend tells me that I dived right in the deep end
also, pic of what my game looks currently.

My UV Mapping skills is augmented.

Are you the guy who said I could texture his shit the other day? The dude who needed to UV map his stuff better?

No I wrote before that I am going to UV-Map the M4A2 Sherman a tad more properly i.e. not using "Smart Unwraps" for all the faces.

Some recent cheap ass render I made for shit and giggles and yes it is unwrapped with seams and shhhieeet.

i want to clang that robot

Happens sometimes.
Are all actors updated automagically?
Maybe you've added a second, manual move update that gets called during, after or before the first one, forgetting that some larger process already handles it.
Or you're updating things by some criteria and the monster gets looped over once for being a goblin and once for being a humanoid.
Or some sneaky one-off error somewhere.

Logging or lazy console prints are helpful.

Find out when exactly it's happening.

sounds like a feature to me.

/asmr/ getting its own board here was a great idea. Too bad it turned into a 3dpd waifu board.

Thanks for the advice.I checked the code again and turns out one line wasn't indented properly. And now the problem is gone. I can't believe how I missed that error for so long.

Yeah, looking at it the day after, looks like we went way overboard with the detail of the design.
Whoops.

Thanks very much for the advice, I'll be sure to send it to the artist.
I'd never thought of vertical/horizontal balance before, I'll have to experiment in sketches for a bit.

How do I convince the guy paying me to make gaem that a 3D procedural generated world is feasible, a one that's not complete shit will be difficult, and trying to make it multiplayer as well is suicide?

Don't know how it is in Max, but in Maya if you save as a .ma Maya ASCII (which you should do if working in Maya; It is readable, thus fixable) it just writes a line in the file about the license. The student one is if it is saved from a free student copy, the education one if it is saved from a school copy. You can actually just delete this line entirely and it will remove the "This was made in a Student Version" prompt when someone opens the file on an education or pro license version of Maya. I don't know about all export formats, but .obj won't write anything regarding the program the file was created in and FBX will write about the program the file was originally created in and last edited in, but not about the programs license. (I blacked out file paths in the FBX image for those curious)

Although I personally use Blender for my personal projects. While Maya and Max may be industry standards, most of the people I know doing indie, small team, or one-man game projects use Blender and there are a lot of tutorials and info for it.

would you guys be cool if I posted progress here? I'm not working a game, technically. I'm working on a gameplay mod for Doom, and I feel feedback I get from others outside of the community might be a good thing.

mods are allowed too

in other news, nier automata is coming to pcit will probably use denuvo because squenix

I don't speak for everybody, but I'd be fine with it as long as you aren't a twerp.

I don't think I'm a twerp. I'm more of a dork if anything.

I'm trying to do a HUD right now, and I feel like I'm not doing this well

HUD design is fucking hard

Have you tried making a drawing first?

I have 0 faith in my drawing ability. But in hindsight I should probably do sketches first.

For all you 3d guys doing meshes and anims and all that, especially the ones that take commissions: What do you generally need to get your work done to a level that the commissioner likes? I'm just a programmer, I can't do art for shit. I want to commission some weapons and characters to be made and animated but it's a bit hard to get what you want just by giving a description. Most I could probably do is trawl the internet for art that's similar to what I want in the designs.

It most certainly is.

No need for a great talent, just an outline of how you want to make the HUD, how many elements you want, etc.

I could make some basic meshes for weapons, design is always hard, it won't always fit the client's vision but sometimes the client's vision may be a little too vague or completely off the rails.

It is always recommended that both agree on a concept and try to respect certain standards, maybe even check with /k/ for example.

Heading to bed, just in case you want to commission something my e-mail is there.

You should put the throwing items above the blue bar, not below it. Next to the red bar thingy. And the number should be to the left instead of right in that case. Wastes too much space in my opinion.

This depends on your budget and your standards. But you should probably start with commissioning a concept artist first, unless you can get by with filching designs from concept art forums and just showing people "Like this, but not a blatant copy of it."

Me, as long as it looks and behaves well, and does not make the game engine crash (import warnings are okay), they're acceptable.

Funny thing is that the majority of off-shelf models I acquired from general 3D asset stores are not immediately useable since they follow their own construction techniques.

To achieve a consistent look I do all the basic modelling myself, utilizing textures from the concept art I've commissioned, just basic diffuse, handpainted normals, and a specific material configuration in UE4 that I apply to all objects. I commissioned the objects that require physics as that's beyond my capability.

The problem is that would get too cramped, the HUD elements are as small as they can get at this point.

Plus there's a final ammo counter that's gonna get tacked onto the blue gem bar once the player picks up a specific item.

No idea about budget at this point. I haven't set a specific amount I can or cannot spend. Every last drop of savings I have I'm happy to pour into making my game. Standards are generally pretty high. That's a good idea with getting a concept artist first. Any recommendations for places to look that aren't full of your typical lazy shitter artist?

I've had the exact same thing, which makes me always annoyed that I don't have the money to hire a good 'full time' artist.

Not sure I can do most of the basic modelling myself. I've only made basic architecture, and no texturing beyond taking textures from cgtextures. All of it is for UE4. Thanks for your help.

Why do I suck at sculpting.

bad idea.

The professional forums are filled with all sorts of opportunistic people.

My best bet was to look at Patreons and Kickstarters and contact the artists to see if they were available.

Warning, though, 'full-time' art makes your costs skyrocket, but that's the price to play if you don't want to be sitting and waiting for weeks or months at a time and need progress immediately.

Thanks to Steamspy, the random no-name game would be in 1500-3000 sales. So don't spend more than 5, 10, or max 15 grand. If you can go lower the better.

I realized after finalizing my idea of what I wanted my dream game to be that it wouldn't be good to do from zero practice. So instead I plan on doing something a little easier to work my way up. AI for that type of game would be a bit complex, at least for a single person with no experience. So instead I'm going to do a side scrolling shmup. I only really have experience with vertical shmups, so I'm going to start looking into horizontal shmups so I can learn a bit about how they play/what not to do. It will be a silly little game about a fairy in love with a human, but he can't love her because she is too small. So she goes out to get a potion to become big.

To any 3d modelers, does solidworks help in any way? I've been working with the software for a bit and wanted to know if any of the skills could transfer over.

Yeah I know but I have very little to live for beyond making the game. I'm not all too fond of money and affordability in my country is so low that I'll be a debt-slave till the day I die anyway. Better to spend it on an investment I care about than hoard it and never be able to afford a home anyway.

I don't really mean to hire a 'full time' artist, but it's just a thing that I'd love to have if I could. Did you have much luck looking at patreons and kickstarters?

Yeah, if you keep tabs on the patreon and KS scene you will tend to see familiar artists crop up, and some styles that I like. But this is the weeb scene, so i dunno for non-weeb games… you should probably be able to tap into a larger talent pool.

That's how I feel about my project however I wouldn't want to do any game development if it was another game.

You might want some more consistency there for one, there's like 5 different styles in that HUD.

I've seen images that suggest otherwise.

Got any progress?

I can understand a girl wanting a big guy, but it just wouldn't work out.

I at the very least want the two different ammo meters to look drastically different, as well as the subweapon boxes, because of how different they are mechanically.

So far just building up the engine from scratch and a couple of drawings of the UI and all the NPCs to behave.

That's a cute story idea.

And yeah, it's always easier to start simple. It's really easy to get swept up in how ebin an idea would be, but start with small stuff and then build up from there.

Is that Demonsteele?

No. It's GMOTA.

Nice to see the GMOTA dev posting on full/v/

I've poked my head into the Doom threads before, I've found myself here because Term's posting shit here, and I like to pretend I'm game devving too

Kill me

Why haven't you devved in months?

Can you listen to at least one loop of this and tell me if I'm not the only one who thinks this is some good music for GMOTA?

soundcloud.com/user-386122191/gen-gauntlet-iv-transparent-obstacle

Lack of time because I work a lot, I keep changing projects and ideas, if I don't know how to do something cleanly and in line I tend to make a whole system out of it, I generally feel like my time is more effectively spent enjoying myself playing games other than chasing a project that won't get finished, there's some aspects of asset creation I don't know very well such as 3D, and audio creation, the list goes on

This is fucking rad, if I can pull it off, each character will have their own console themes while you play as them. Samson, my little alchemist Kobold, is gonna have a sega genesis theme to him, so if this is an actual sega genesis track I'll have to add it.

I can understand lack of time from working a lot. That really gets you down. The rest you've just gotta jump in and do really. You get better the more shit you make.

I personally find developing more rewarding than playing games, so I pretty much don't play anything anymore.

It is. I think it's same guy who also composed this one.

This man's work is a great example of how the Genesis' soundchip is god tier when used by someone who knows his shit.

Yeah it comes and goes, the last 2 months I was pretty much playing a ton of games but before that I was developing almost exclusively… I still don't have a solid concept and I only have a rudimentary light system done comma any sort of things involving 3D or shaders would blow mine away unfortunately

God damn, this is rad too.

I was planning on using tracks from Jewel Master, but I am adding these tracks for sure

youtube.com/watch?v=MaOlDwRyjjI

My memory was good after all. It actually is from the same guy, Hitoshi Sakimoto.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitoshi_Sakimoto

Good taste

This may be of interest to someone here.

Especially me, since I'm willing to do the textures for a cut

3dartistonline.com/news/2016/08/have-a-cool-3d-character-enter-it-in-reallusions-contest/

Good night

i wish i had kept drawing rather than studying code, at least then i would have been surrounded by girls in my art classes

Incremental saves nigga.

install blendoo

GANUU+Blendoo

Halfway through… Just two fucking more exams and I can finally continue to work on my game (and finish that guide on basic data structures and shit).

I see. Then you should make doubly sure that those interruptions don't happen in too quick succession. That would get really annoying really fast. Oh and good to see you back. I wondered what has happened to you.

I was offline.
Almost forgot, one day I cobbled this together in a span of about 12 hours.

Anyone here play/interested in Minetest?
I'm working on a pretty massive mod for it.

Quick update to my project. I was able to get the chunk data to be stored in separate actors from the code that is generating stuff. It now can spawn however many chunks, and then it cycles through those actors to load/instance the data, rather than doing it all through variables in my first version.

I still have a few levels of optimization to go on this current stage, and I need to split the world gen programming from the model loading/instancing, but that shouldn't be too tough.

Ah, another Doom mod dev here now. That makes it 4, with me, you, Term and TankAnon!

What do you make, user?

I am working on Memoirs of Magic!

So I've been bouncing between what engine to use.
Not gonna use Game Maker because of the EULA- and having to sign in online every time is retarded.

People suggested Godot- but is python gonna limit me since everything else is C++? I mean, I like indenting more than curly braces, but I still have the same issues no matter what code I use

Anything else? Free, simple, and all it needs is their name in the credits.

Oh shit I remember you. Been watching your progress on and off as well, I like your skeleton enemies.

may as well post something so have an old webm of a feature that never got implemented

Love?

What's wrong with the EULA? I got Game Maker a while back on sale for steam and I plan to dev with it one day

Jesus.

I am actually mapping right now as we speak. I am having a bit of a crisis however, since I don't know if I want to do a system shock 2 styled maps, or a Might and Magic styled map.

Even though I nearly finished the forest map I am working on, I am having doubts

post a picture

Depends on what style of gameplay you're ultimately aiming for, I know you have multiple characters and stuff, but how you want things to flow will really determine the best style of map.

Of course you could always just try out different maps here and there, there's nothing wrong with variety.

The map I am currently working on has a lot of inspriation from the Lost Woods from OoT, Woodfall from Majoras and the General Areas of Turok. This is the first combat map I tried doing so far.

People have said its comfy, but I am worried about the length and difficulty, and I am not sure I am going the right direction. They are multiple ways you can complete certain objectives with the spells you have on hand.

They take a chunk of your profits, not sure how much- couldn't find it.
Their terms on what you could/couldn't make was pretty vague. But they reserve the right to shit-can your account. No account, can't use it. And with what's "offensive" getting more and more…

Some people also said it's extras were crap (why do you need a sprite importer when you have gimp or even Paint.net?), and the "rooms" you set up are a pain, as other editors let you make "infinite" canvas and then cut down- Game Maker demands to know the canvas size in advance.
And no editor should need log in/DRM.

TBH, I was won over with how some major titles used it. But obviously the engine doesn't guarantee success, nor ease of use.

I remember these pictures, I might have even been the one that said they were comfy, I like them a lot.

I think you are right on with the art style, I know your game is very fast and hast a lot of movement, so things have a different look if you are zooming through them rather than just standing still in the same place for a long time.

Honestly, I'm not deeply familiar with System Shock 2 nor Might and Magic, how do these level styles differ? any particular maps that really define the style?

The second image is giving me flashbacks to TFC and CS1.6 climb maps. Except not as stylized.

Something about that stone texture makes me think lighthearted fantasy adventure, the kind that makes Wind Waker look grounded and serious by comparison. Everything else being kind of muddled, desaturated and not cheerful makes it feel like you're in one of those spooky desolate forests, and then that wall really sticks out weirdly.

Maybe it's just the lighting and it looks better while playing. I dunno.

Damn, that IS comfy looking.

I agree there, but I want to try using it at least, if it doesn't work out for me then I'll take a whack at future tools then, or maybe look into Godot, that seems to be getting better.

Oh god yeah, never take any single user as gospel.
Even a few anons (hence why I used GM first. "No try it, it's fine").

Only worry if most of the thread has the same opinion.

The Lighting is pretty specific of this area, since the place itself is called the Misty Forest. The forest itself as actually connected to some Aztec Ruins, which serve as the Dungeon for this area!

Might and Magic has large, open areas where you follow the road. Basically, imagine Hyrule Fields in OoT. Now imagine that they is 7 other Hyrule fields, and each hyrule field has a village and 2 dungeons you can explore. That sort of sums up the Exploration maps of Might and Magic 6-8

In terms of System Shock 2 (or Thief and Deus Ex), they are sort of like mini open world games where you can explore around, and have many areas you have to explore to progress to the next area. Another example of this is Vampire the Masquerade, if that gives you a better example!

I'm personally interested because I've been told it's easy to get into, and just like you, some of the games I enjoy have been made using game maker.

I think I see what you mean.

How do you progress in your game? Levels?

I'm actually in a similar'ish situation. I'm building a voxel system, and soon am going to build a world gen that builds villages, dungeons, etc, procedurally. I'm trying to figure out how to structure things though.

Do your enemies level scale?

What other sorts of mechanics are you trying to implement?

yes, that

The game world is open ended; basically, they is 5 areas you can go to from the start, and do them in any order. Each area has 3 other areas you can go to from there; a Village area, and 2 Dungeons (1 Story Based Dungeon, and 1 Special Dungeon I will be showcasing soon). With each story dungeon done, the other areas increase in difficulty.

Each area has a puzzle/challange and ambush areas, and the main objective of these areas is to collect a key ala zelda to progress through. They are optional areas that require keys to open, but these are used for the sole purpose of collecting gold, which is used for leveling up.

Its not the mechanics I am having issue with however, I am just trying to make my mind up with how I want to do this

I'll give you my personal 0.02 on it, since I did use GM at one point; and I started for the same reason, that a game I really like (the original Spelunky) was programmed in it.

I'm not going to weigh in too much on the whole EULA and royalties aspect of it. IMO, if you are going to use an engine that has already provided you a ton of tools and thus saved you a lot of time, it's okay to pay a percentage to the engine maker, I'm okay with that. The smart business decision becomes getting the most engine (free work) for the least royalty (loss of potential profits).

I used GM for a little bit, bought a bunch of books on it, learned its quirky aspects. When other anons say that it has a weird system for code, they are not lying nor exaggerating, some of the stuff like the room system is kind of weird and can be a pain in the ass.

The editor can be buggy and kinda shitty at times. True story for me: I found a tiny bit of code online to solve a problem I had been having. So I copied and pasted the code into the editor, made a few modifications, and then tried to run it. It gave me a compile error when there shouldn't have been one. I was like, what the hell, and proceeded to do a bunch of debugging for hours. I was banging my head on the keyboard trying to figure out what the hell was wrong, and in desperation, I tried typing all of the code back into the editor, by hand, from a notepad file. It worked!

So I investigated as to why it wouldn't compile the first time around, and went back to the webpage that had the code and I tried copy and pasting the bit again, and it wouldn't compile. So I took that bit of code and pasted it into another program, and there it was… An invisible character. One random invisible character that was put in for formatting or something by the webpage was copied and pasted into the editor, and the editor wasn't rendering it, but the compiler was trying to compile it. I had literally spent hours trying to hunt down an invisible character for code that should have worked the first time I ran it.

I kinda stopped using GM not long after that, that wasn't the main issue, just one of many stupid buggy things you would run into all of the time.

That said though, it is easy, and if you have never programmed anything before, you could use it to get started and learn kind of how a game works and how to program one.

But to use that as your main tool that you will have rely on forever, I think is kind of a mistake, IMO. It forces you to do things a certain way that only GM does, so if you want to transition of it later, you need to retrain yourself and forget their inefficient system.

I switched from GM to Unity. Also had issues with Unity, switched from Unity to Unreal, and I'm very happy with Unreal now. I wish I had just jumped into the deep end with Unreal from the beginning years ago, I would be much farther along now.

But like the other user said, don't take my single post as gospel, try out a few packages and see what clicks for you.

This isn't exclusive to GM, things like that can throw off any compiler.

I appreciate this input, you guys are alright. I definitely gotta stick around and share my progress with you guys. Have a webm of something I plan on adding as a surprise for the next big update.

Can you sketch out a diagram of how the levels would be laid out?

I do have to say I like the idea of an open world with that engine and art style, could be very cool.

Maybe you could make a sort of fast travel or interconnection system that links the different towns/dungeons/whatever together, that you have to unlock as a "reward" in sort of a SS2 style, but you could just stick to open world if you really wanted to?

You could make the SS2 part all "underground' or through narrow passages in forest, so it would feel like you are exploring an extra layer of the game.

Gnarly.

I realize this, but their editor is integrated into the whole package, and if there isn't then some option to highlight or remove that, it just becomes an invisible hazard one has to navigate. Sure, I learned my lesson, but it cost me like a days worth of programming time.

If that was the only issue with the platform, then it wouldn't be a deal breaker. But considering all of the other time wasting minutia that you have to slog through to get things working right; for me, it just wasn't worth it in the end.

You actually do get rewarded with shortcuts that are connected via Paintings, so they is fast traveling!

I can't draw out a map right now, but to give you a good idea what I am sort of aiming for, you could just google SS2 maps

I would show you the overhead of my map, but I want to keep some surprises!

Do you get powerups for each dungeon you complete? Does the order you complete everything in effect the experience/difficulty (like in megaman)?

if it does, I'd say maybe make it a more open world, simply then to get a little more replay value out of it.

I was looking at the SS2 maps, and I like how they are setup, but if I had to play the whole game through these little mini-levels one after another, I don't know if there would be much in terms of wanting to replay it again after I've beat it.

If you were to link together SS2 maps in an open world kind of fashion, that could be kind of cool. I'm interested in seeing where you end up going with this.

practicing 3d modeling by recreating models but
what the hell is going on in this original model and its topology?
why is it like that?

I got the model from model's resource

I can't say for sure but it looks like they have multiple objects must kinda pushed together in one. If you want to see if they are connected, select one of the faces and press Ctrl+L to select all connected faces.

There's multiple objects shoved into each other. There's nothing really wrong with that either.

Looks like 3 pieces:
-the handle, that goes through and stick at the top, basically a big rectangle
-a thickening bit around the handle, probably a slightly bigger rectangle
-the two blades, most likely clones

you put the handle, then the thicc bit, making sure their centers are aligned, then the two blades, who probably join in the middle and are aligned with the center of the handle

The amazing bit is that you could literally release that in Early Access, saying the shit unfinished graphics are "retro styled" and make mad cash

anons, I'm doing a little graveyard on this game and I need a little help with these walls, I don't know which one to use, can you help me? ( the ones on the upper left & right corners)

You don't have to pay any royalties for using GM. You only have to pay the licenses and export modules that you would use.

Neither. The left looks like a flat top-down view, and the right looks like a perspective error because the right has apparent depth/thickness but the tops and bottoms dont

What's the best language for a websocket server?

space pirate you say?

huh, i never knew this guy from megas was a reference

cute

comfy

cool

I just rewatched it all. I guess I missed that part. Good show.

I love 3D, Because I don't how to use 2D :3 , I am going to keep making cute games for kids to play, Until the day I feel I am ready to unleash "The Beast",

A hitman game about the Darknet, You are a hitman and have a lot of missions to do, Associate with FPI Agent so he can protect you for doing his dirty drugs business. Contains Child abuse, Women abuse, Use of drugs and alcohol, Completely not kids friendly.

M (MATURE with Intense Violence, Blood and Gore, Nudity, Mature Humor, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alcohol.)

I have something similar, but less in your face
game is basically shinobido with guns and some missions have you extract kids from bad neighborhoods and get them in your schools.
you can buy schools and hire professors to increase kids stats then get good kids to equip the best abilities then "equip" kids into missions.
if you read between the lines you run a pedophile ring

Anyone have that Blender series that gets passed around here from time to time? I believe it's on the foundations of the software and how to make and rig good models.

I had an idea before about making a programmable Battle Network clone.

Rather than moving and attacking yourself, you'd pre-configure a set of logic, which then does commands like moving, attacking, using a chip, etc. You could also set conditions like "if the tile above is empty" or "enemy is shooting a projectile" or "health

if it's multiplayer, it will never be fun
supreme autists will immediately min-max their characters and post them online for everyone to copy

so now every newcomer would have to play against supreme-autists-incarnate, or ape their own to be viable

Shit

Maybe I'll just clone pic related instead. Pretty simple mechanics for a platformer, and a surprising amount of level variety.

I actually don't know if what I said was true, I like to say things that come to mind as if they're established facts

No, you're very right. I wouldn't even know how to touch multiplayer, even if it was as simple as pasting enemy builds in notepad

I can't write a line of code without saving, but with art I just can't get into that habit.

Don't do this to me user, we both know it wouldn't work.
Also Ballistic NG is a thing

Harlock's a real badass, yeah. Inspired a bit of the protagonist's design.

That better be ironic.

Anyone know where to find UE4-compatible sex mocap animation sets?

I want to do something for [cuckchan's] Lewd Jam:

itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

All the Source Film Maker stuff, are they all hand-animated? On the contrary, I just want simple motions of bumping uglies for low poly meshes.

Wow, someone actually replied to my job application as a unity game developer
Now I just have to wait for them to get in contact with me via Skype
Wish Mr luck , I need the money

For those of you that were familiar with GMOTA, these are gonna be replacing item crashes as utility moves that can be performed with the powered sword, should I make them consume sword energy at one gem a piece like power strikes, or make them a free use attack but you have to hold the secondary attack button down for a moment to wind it up?

Regardless of what I do, these attacks won’t be as strong as the powered strike itself.

For reference, sword energy is measured in gems and you can carry a max of eight, and you get energy from hitting dudes or picking up shotgun shell-tier ammuniton on maps.

sprites shamelessly stolen from Secret of Mana

animate it yourself nerd
that's tempting

Although people min/max decks you can always have rules in place (default decks, extended, unlimited)

Although this isn't really in the style of normal battle network so my statement might not be valid

user, that spine while in low mode is terrible

Crystal Caves was the shit back in the day

Bumping.

You gunna dev on the weekend user?

This game isn't going to make itself you know.

Does anyone know of any resources/tips on writing a game design document? It seems that whenever I start a project I always get lost, confused or just stray to far from what I originally intended. I feel like if I could nail down exactly what I want with a design document things would be so much easier.

nice gif.

In fact I have 1 week free so that means more time to develop shit. that is if I dont fall into slacking mode

it's something

i've got to redo exams from the 25th to the 8th
after that i'm either resting for a month and hopefully buying/building a new PC
and on a side note i may or may not have a job by then, i doubt my luck in that department though
so gamedev is at least a few weeks away for me

I always try, but then I get depressed or feel like shit and end up doing nothing. I haven't made a lot of progress lately.

I think "just do it" requires a secondary component that nobody ever talks about, and that's the mental energy to make yourself do it. Sometimes I'm just so tired or feel so shit that I can't do it even if I wanted to, it's just not possible. I get a desire to die if I try to force it, the only thing I'm capable of doing in that state is something that does not require brain power to do, e.g. watch movies.

I'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled. So I'm actually gonna spend the entire weekend on opiates watching cartoons.

Here's the official GDD of an unreleased Saint's Row PSP game. I structured mine using this one as a template.

GET IT DONE user! KICK SOME ASS!

Good luck on your exams on building your PC.

I feel you on that. Actually, there have been studies done that shows that willpower is a finite resource. I guess I kind of believe it, but I also believe there are "hacks" you can use with your willpower to motivate yourself or conserve mental energy other places.

Figure out what you gotta do next in your game,break it up into smaller pieces, and just work on it a bite at a time. Getting that dopamine rush once you get something working is pretty nice.

good luck with that user, cartoons on drugs sound like fun

Nice, this is exactly the kinda thing I was looking for, thanks. Has having a design to follow helped you out as much as you thought it would? It's weird, this seems like pretty important when it comes to making games; yet I never hear anyone talk about design documents.

general programming question

I've been reading into commonly used algorithms and techniques used in 2D games to achieve things like AI(A* for example is a popular one), sprite layering and so on.
where should i look to find more?
any good books to look into, or good tutorials?

oh god yes
i still remember getting my teeth pulled, besides waking up in an agonizing pain, overall fucking fantastic experience

more than likely though unfortunately i have a funeral on Saturday which will probably eat up most of the day.

Speedbot sure did a drastic change in artstyle all of a sudden.

I got 2 removed so far, both times only a local anesthetic that wore off after an hour, and neither of said two times did it hurt afterwards.

10/10

Only if I can learn this new obscure language fast enough to get anything done by Sunday night

what language? you learning it for a project? or just for enjoyment?

personally, I just write down my ideas on pages, and keep them all in a folder. As I program things or change my design, ill update the pages as needed. It's nice having everything I've thought of easily accessible and in front of me, even if its just loose sketches, rough diagrams and pseudo code

No problem.

Yes and no.
For what little I wrote down it did. Sadly I stopped some time ago (writing the document that is). It has been shown over and over again that writing your ideas down actually increases your chances of making them become reality. I first thought this was bullshit, but let's be honest here. If you can't even be bothered to write your shit down, you're beyond lazy and never finish any substantial project.
Documentation like GDDs are pretty much mandatory, if you're working in a team. Concept art is a nice example. It's really fucking important to have unless you're the only artist. No matter how detailed you explain some environment/character/whatever of your game is to your artists, every single one of them will have his own mental image of it. You absolutely need those pieces of concept art to make sure all of them are on the same page. Otherwise you'll be in for a bad surprise once your level designer puts the assets from various artists together.
I currently have to deal with writing exams and still have two more to go. After that I'll have a small conversation with a acquaintance of mine. We both study CS and I asked him, if he wants to join me (I really need some help or this is going to take forever). That's why I started to write that GDD again. He asked me to explain the project to him in depth (what it's about, scope, etc.) Since I really need him, I better be prepared.

I don't think it's weird. Writing those documents is probably the most boring part when creating a game. Let alone talk about writing them.

Search for "redblobgames". Their blog has a nice selection. Other than that, you will find stuff when looking to solve specific problems.

Elixir
Both kind of, it's a functional language so it should appease the Holla Forums gods, and it seems to be well suited towards my project's back end. Elixir and Erlang are apparently the kings of concurrency.

what kinda game were you thinking about making with it?

i remember waking up some mild pains, enough to need more meds for

the agony came the next morning, i came out of the hospital so high off my ass i had to be pushed out in a wheelchair, so i didnt take any meds before i went to bed
it was the next morning i woke up and was completely sober

guess you're right on that part, i just like reading the literature on these kinda things
most recently i was reading up on raycasters, and even found a raycaster someone wrote in lua using love2D
thanks for the blog

A scalable, networked, ENTERPRISE QUALITY one.

Painfully true. Sometimes I can get away with not writing anything down for small projects, but it still can get difficult when you don't have anything concrete to reference.

For what purpose?

Read Getting things Done by David Allen, it's a great book/method. The book is a little outdated since everything is digital now but it can all be applied just the same with any decent text editor. It essentialy boils down to: Write EVERYTHING down, and if it takes less than 2 minutes, do it right now. There's a lot more to it but those two things, as simple as they seem, help immensely when you're constantly thinking to do it.

heh

So apparently I have my own Bloodbath Kavkaz already. Fucking ruskies.

Is that the same David Allen that made the Mordor dungeon crawler games and now writes about MMOs?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Allen_(author)
No.

Alright, I'll give it a read. I found a pdf of it, so here it is in case anyone else is interested.

Y-Yes… I will try to make muh tonk mod as radical as possible.

One post earlier I mentioned that I asked a guy to help me. The reason for this actually was ENTERPRISE QUALITY development. One of the mandatory exams I have to pass deals with all the ENTERPRISE QUALITY shit like ERP-Systems, SAP, ABAP, etc. I postponed it and will write in next semester. I have NEVER gotten bored by a lecture that fast. I didn't manage to make it through the second lecture. I'm not even shitting you. 3/4 through it I decided to postpone it. I made it through less than two out of 14. If I end up in that line of work, I'm sure as hell going to contribute to those suicide statistics.
I've looked into the abyss. And I've looked into it deeply. I'd rather be a poor indie dev than do something that is that agonizingly boring for the rest of my life. At least gamedev is actually interesting.

Another book would be "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. You don't need to buy/download it though. Just search for the videos of Earl Nightingale on YouTube. In one video he summarizes it. I really like to listen to them while working on 3d models/textures. He has that grandpa quality, where you can easily listen to him talk for hours on end.

You want to tell me something, bruh?

I guess I'm not truly ENTERPRISE QUALITY then. That's perfectly fine. SAP, ERP, etc. are all a load of shit for corporate faggots. I feel bad for you if it's actually required for your schooling.

It's so fucking far removed from how I usually program. They are like: "Just shit something out that works. If it runs like ass, just tell the client to get an extra server." Their approach to software development is drawing a bunch of diagrams and throwing design patterns at the problem until it's dead. It really shows how that approach is custom tailored towards outsourcing jobs to India or somewhere. You need developers who design programs using pre-made building blocks and code-monkeys who don't need to think themselves. It kills me on the inside.
I had to choose two elective subjects this semester. There is a reason why I went with "Development of technical systems (crash-course in x86 assembly)" and "Efficient algorithms and data structures" (more theoretical computer science; dealing with problems that lie in NP).

I was approached by a pajeet at a convention once different industry advertising his development company in India. They had a warehouse of over 1000 developers ready for the outsourcing. And then the suits wonder why their software is such shit so they start throwing more and more acronyms and diagrams at it.

Wew

need to fix that arm

Why? Still looks better than Revolution 60.

The head is a bit awkwardly placed, but it's a stellar first effort.

You could also do some weight work on the legs, so they don't clip.

Why are the shorts and the legs separate objects?

Different shader, probably.

Ah, I forgot not everyone uses PBR, where you could get the same effects with just a roughness map.
Dumb programmers like me shouldn't meddle in the dark magicks of artists, I guess.

Hello anons future gamedev here I hope

Trying to learn c++ right now. I think I've got enough down to make a simple text based adventure. I need to make functions to call on for choosing (Ex. 1. enter cabin, 2. explore campground, 3 leave etc.) So I'm trying to learn to compact this shit so in the end ALL I have to do is type just choices and outcomes. Any suggested methods?

Also whats the deal with "using namespace std"? Should I try to learn to code std: in everything while I'm new? (My books lazy and just calls the library after first ex.)

When you have "using namespace std" you don't have to type std::functionName as you import the entire "std" namespace into your file. I'm not a very good C++ programmer so someone else can probably give a more detailed explanation but I think it's actually considered bad practice to use "using namespace std."

Thanks, didn't even notice the legs

There's actually no lighting involved here. It's just this texture with reflection mapping.
I reuse a lot of textures.

Another one.

In that case does anyone have a different book recommendation? I'm using Siddhartha Rao: Sams Teach Yourself C++

I've heard good things about Discovering Modern C++ by Peter Gottschling,

Accelerated C++ is one of the better C++ books.

Does it teach me how to use std: on everything?

It goes over that in the first few chapters.

Teaches you to use std:: for everything until using is introduced, then it starts doing "using std::[functionname]" as necessary. Of what I've read, it never tells you to use the whole namespace.

I dev a little every day no matter what. EAT MOTIVATION AND SHIT PROGRESS

I'm running into an annoying problem with SDL2.

When SDL_RenderFillRect() draws a rectangle it shows up on the screen exactly when the function is called.
When SDL_RenderCopy() is called with equivalent parameters it takes a while for anything to show up. It just doesn't care to do anything for 2 seconds, meanwhile the game is still running.

Anyone else run into this? Am I missing something?

Are all of the parameters being used by RenderCopy properly filled the first time(s) around?
Are you calling RenderPresent at the right time?
Are you by any chance clearing or writing over a renderable before you actually throw it on screen? Are you out of memory and swapping so badly that it can't into texture load?
Does anything change during those two seconds?

Here I've added the first scroll the give you sword throwing ability, I show the new HUD in action and how it changes depending on your weapon, and also the hint message doesn't pop up when you pick up extra scrolls.

This is fun

Neat. I wonder if rapidly throwing and picking up the sword before it even touches the ground would make for a viable offensive strategy, or if it's best to just slap a cooldown on it.

Also, might be a good idea to migrate to

I'm just sitting around to see if SDL problem guy shows up.

Thanks buddy, I had no idea, I replied to your post on the new thread too!