Like pokemon, but not shit

Is there yet a decent game that takes the core ideas of pokemon (Collecting and training monsters, exploration) and combines it with a battle/combat system that is actually entertaining/has reasonable depth?

Other urls found in this thread:

falcom.co.jp/vantage/index_e.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This game.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon

The Dragon Warrior Monsters series.

hell fucking yes my nigger
I was just telling a 420chan user to get the DWM games after he made a thread about Pokemon

Admittedly the combat's kind of wonky. The meat of the gameplay is the breeding system and how monsters inherit skills, stats, and lineage recipes that create new monsters when specific breeding conditions are met.

The combat is core RPG mechanics. The elemental skills don't function as intuitively as Type matchups do in Pokemon, and the correct type of magical element to use against a monster depends on that individual species's elemental resistances. You will likely never remember which element to use against which monster and it doesn't really matter, which feels like wasted potential to me.

The engaging combat strategies in DWM games arise from interesting stat buffing skills or debuffs and status effects. The scale of endgame spell power in DWM is pretty amazing though. It's a massive game with tons to explore and tinker with. The dialogue and setting is comfy and straightforward, I highly recommend the series.

If you like these two games, look into Dragon Quest Monsters Caravan Hearts, you'll have to find a translated ROM if you don't read moon runes.

Shin megami tensei

Really, SMT as a whole (even Persona) did what Pokemon does far better, far longer. The most Pokemon-like is probably Demikids.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have to check out SMT. I always thought it was generic JRPG, but weird.

Anyone know of something like this, but with a tactical map (Something like FFTactics or Fire Emblem) or on PC?

It's kind of a longshot genre-wise (more classical WRPG-oriented, like Ultima or Gold Box) and uses summoning rather than wilderness mons-hunting, but you might check out the Geneforge series.

Emulate PSP and then Disgaea 1 and 2.

Yokai Watch

The rock paper scissors system is the only way to have depth of complexity with that many different characters.
If not fire water grass
Soldier Ranger Cool Wizard
I've only been making games for 7 years and I can tell you burying the game with fluff is a nightmare for actually entertaining gameplay.

I meant something more along the lines of adding depth by:

So SRPG elements?
Or double battles?
Or Triple battles?
Or rest in peace Rotation battles, you were too good for this world

So SRPG elements?

puchimon

Yes, there is a Nobunaga's Ambition Pokemon game.

Ranger Cool?
Ranger, Cool?
Cool Wizard?

Story's good and the flaws aren't too much of a turn off, but I can't agree with it being posted here so much as the poster boy of SMT.

falcom.co.jp/vantage/index_e.html

They're still Pokemon so they're still shit

Try Telefang AKA "Pokemon Emerald" for gameboy color, it had better mechanics and design than anything pokemon ever did on the Gameboy Color if you want oldschool, otherwise i'd just play Yokai Watch or wait for the new Digimon/Applimon thing that looks awesome.

It is the poster boy for the franchise because it is the most recent game to follow the play style of the original MTs/pre nocturne SMTs.

Robotrek on the SNES

I always thought Pokemon was based off SMT

Megaman Battle Network

no. why do you think pokemon still sells?

autists?

that too but close

Pokemon is based on the sexual delusions of a little japanese autistic kid who used to put two beetles inside his ass and see which one of them came out alive (for the concept of pokemon battles) he then began experimenting with worms and other small creatures until he decided to put a mouse inside his ass and this caused him the most pleasure but the mouse escaped and he missed it so he decided to create Pikachu based on that experience and made it the mascot of the game

Because people know no better so they are always fooled into buying Furry Madden, i've played pokemon from Gen 1 to X and Y then i began playing other games and i realized how much i've been playing the same exact game with very slight changes all my life, wish i would have given Digimon and monster rancher a chance much earlier.

That's another reason.
Basically my main reason is because nothing better has come along.
Look at sims, EA still makes a fuckload selling a gimped version of sims 2 with worse graphics in 2016 at $60 for base and over $200 for all dlc at once. If smoeone came along and made a better sims with no dlc practices, they would go out of business.
Time to find another hobby
tbqhfam

Or you know you could just play one of the best Pokemon games of all time, it's not even a contest. Emulate the fuck out of these, they are so comfy.

Yellow is the best of the three as you get little pikachu following you around.

fuck emulation

Lots of better games have been released but people are too attached to their childhood experience with Pokemon, i used to be like that too and i even was in the same mental retardation ward full of retards who would say things like "digimon are ugly and overdesigned"

Monster battle games are fun and i've come to realize there's no reason for there to be only one after playing Yokai Watch the only problem with that one though is that not many people know japanese so they're stuck at the first game.

That's not Crystal

Well if you can point me in the direction of a mostly open world game were you collect monsters and battle your way to being champion of the region, i'd love to give it a shot.

good pokemon never again

Man that's some shitty makeup, I can see the skin around the actor's eyes.

fuck off casual

Pretty good for an 80's TV show really.

How about Pokemon Godra?

All your favorite pokemon from Gen 1 to Gen V two regions to choose from, career paths, 128 starters

now that sounds frisky, talk dirty to me fuckboy

Any digimon game ever made? The DS games are great, or you can wait for vita.

It's a fanmade game so you can only emulate, there are no fakemons except for pic related. All evolutions requiring a trade have been replaced with a "Link stone" that acts like any other stone evolution in the game, there are career paths that will take you on small quests. Since all pokemon from I - V are in each are of the game, you will be scarcely able to buy enough pokeballs to capture them all. Berry system from Emerald, Apricorn System from Chrystal, Fairy types and mega evolutions included sadly I have only seen one on one battles implemented for the battle system. Honestly the career paths where you can do odd jobs for the military or a Tech company and get paid are the most interesting parts. Also multiple endings.

Oh and you only get a pokedex if you choose the Pokemon research assistant career path

thats pretty interesting. i checked the wiki and it looks moddable.

pokemon girlbutt edition when

Digimon could have been great but the games were just so inferior to pokemon most of the time and when it mattered during its peak of popularity.

I'm playing it right now and it is refreshingly fun for a pokemon game, mostly because I only truely hate pokemon designs from Gen V onward, before that I like him but if your fun stopped at Gen II it may not be for you.

This is true sadly, they also ran into the problem that they had to compete with pokemon but without pokemon like gameplay for fear of copyright infringement, on the otherhand, digimon are always kind of cool looking and I liked them better than pokemon most the time. Best digimon pic related.

i enjoyed playing through pokemon X but it didnt feel even close to as good as heart gold
so i'll probably love this then

As for 128 starters there's a quiz at the beginning of the game that determines what pokemon you can start with, here's the entire pool, if you want to get spoiled on how to get the starter you want, go to the wiki.

going for riolu
but really though it'd be nice to have an actual starter pokemon like from gen 2 or something, if i want like 99% of that list i can just go out and catch em.

are there cheats for shit like all pokemon be shiny?

There are gen II starters, look at the list again. Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita

Well yeah it's more like a difficulty thing, lots of pokemon you can catch, but you have the option to perhaps have a harder start for difficulties sake.

Huh, alright then. Think i may actually go for cyndaquil for nostalgia sake. First starter ever so why not.

but i gotta ride on them shinies tho

PSP emulator.
Tactics Ogre.
You're welcome.

Dunno about cheat codes, there are ways to mode the game from hearsay but, It's release 1.0 it's stable but fucking with things like that may make the game act in unpredictable ways, I am satisfied with just having my pokemon go do pokemon things. Also Aron starter because metal T-rex is possibly best pokemon ever.

which PSP emu do you recommend? Last I checked, there were three or four that had good emulation coverage, but each had their own problems, such as with gamepad input or supporting resolution stretching.

Siralim

This is the only correct answer

There's a flash game I know of that's kinda like Pokemon, although by the end of the game, everyone hits too hard and becomes a glass cannon.

I use PPSSPP. Haven't run into a problem with it yet.

i noticed the good ole PNG graphics shit.

gonna see if i can make the trainer character stocking anarchy. i have a stiffy for her

Also Jade Cocoon

How is it? The game got really good reviews but while i am not a super graphic whore the graphics look so bad that it is hard to get pass. Is the gameplay so great (i do like the genre) that it makes up for the shit graphics

Literally the very description of SMT

Try Digital Devil Saga for a fairly easy start, Nocturne for a less easy start, and Persona 3 for a really tough start (but great story).

The graphics are pretty ass except for the in-battle monster sprites, which are all varied and pretty decent.
The game itself feels very easy unless you really push yourself, so that's on par with most poke-clones.

What it does really well is has tons of monsters, really interesting crafting/leveling/breeding/fusing/etc systems, and your monsters can all be fully customized and equipped as well.

So, there's shitloads of customization and party-building. It never ends. Really fun if that's what you're into.
The game should be dirt cheap too, and even the sequel is on sale I think.

I'm getting too old for this shit.

wat

do i have to fix this game before i can play it fully?

Nigga what? the Jam'Hadar were were mid-late 90s

*Jem'Hadar

damn, Evolve could have been that if they didnt turn it into a dumb multiplayer

I haven't played Ni no Kuni yet, but I hear it's great.
Can't wait to get my hands on Digimon Cyber Sleuth.
Digimon World 2 is also good, though I recommend playing with cheats to speed up the grinding.
Dragon Warrior Monsters is a no-brainer.

Brigandine for PS1

All anons here, except 1, make me fucking sick to my stomach.

Multiple edings, bonus content over the original DS version, maetal soundtrack, SRPG gameplay

Why are you not using VBA?

VBA?

Mystery Dungeon
:^)