Why wasn't this movie successful? What happened to the movies post "Disney-Renaissance"?

Why wasn't this movie successful? What happened to the movies post "Disney-Renaissance"?

Other urls found in this thread:

dejareviewer.com/2014/10/28/movie-matchups-atlantis-the-lost-empire-vs-stargate/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well I know why I wrote it off personally: Disney had already earned the well-deserved reputation of only making safe, sappy films for children. I stopped bothering with them once I realized that's all they made, a long time ago.

I watched the original and loved it.
They did make more, though, this film did really well and Disney decided to make more.
EVERY OTHER FILM IN THE FRANCHISE IS TERRIBLE.

They were good but i always hated how Disney went away from beautifully crafted cartoons into shitty 3D-animations, trying to look like Toy Story.

Atlantis and Treasure Planet were two of the only Disney cartoons I enjoyed growing up. I guess they overestimated how successful these cartoons would actually be, got disappointed and then decided to shaft traditional animation entirely in favor of imitating Pixar's success.

It was somewhat successful, just not enough to justify the great hype built around it before release.

It probably would've helped if they'd launched a Lego line of it, it had some pretty nice designs.

That's why it failed.

It's like you didn't even watch the movie and are just baiting.

More? I knew there was 1 sequel, but beyond that?

I still wonder what they were thinking by copying the main character's story almost step by step from Stargate.

I remember someone once had a theory that this and Treasure Island got shafted because Disney higher-ups purposefully changed the release schedule and did not advertise the films sufficiently. Some internal politics power play. Feels bad if true, I don't think Disney was founded on those principles

I don't know much about Stargate. Post the similarities. And don't cop out with HURR just google it.
You made the claim. Back it up.

Thanks Yidney.

And an animu by the name of Nadia.

The movie also had bad art, comparable to low effort trash like like Anastasia, which became a bad trend around the time of Emperor's New Groove.

no thanks

It looked ugly, safe, and boring, and the protagonist looked lame af.

see

PG Disney film not based on fairy-tale with no musical numbers.
archaeology, Indiana-Jones-esque adventure, non-cancerous dieselpunk influence
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The only valid point is that Milo looks like a geeky everyman rather than a traditional hero.

I recommend you watch Stargate, it's a fun movie.

Considering the stories aren't exactly the same otherwise, the similarities of the main characters is rather notable.

I saw it as a kid, barely remember.
But everything you said makes sense.

Makes sense. These movies always seemed different then the usual Disney formula at the time and it would have been cool to see more like them.

dejareviewer.com/2014/10/28/movie-matchups-atlantis-the-lost-empire-vs-stargate/

They were doing what Disney has always done: ripping shit off wholesale. If they can't get the rights to something they don't let that stop them.

Treasure Planet was doomed to fail:
15 November 2002 (USA) - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
27 November 2002 (USA) - Treasure Planet
18 December 2002 (USA) - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
No major film could make a fortune with being kneecapped at the start and crippled a few weeks later.>>1039900

Also there was apparently the films "Maid in Manhattan" and "007: Die Another Day" which did not help the boxoffice draw