Is Dark Souls a WRPG or a JRPG?

Is Dark Souls a WRPG or a JRPG?

A japanese action rpg

kek

It's a game

You don't understand. The J just means its a worse "RPG", same with the letter A

Ok I am going to drop my thoughts about the games here because I fucking feel like it.

DS1: Good until Lord Vessel. Overall the best. Has lots of replay value and is interesting to speedrun.
DS2: A step backward, not really worth the time.
DS3: Casual. Give it a couple simple lighthearted playthroughs, but don't think you will enjoy speedrunning, or PVP, or becoming really 'good' at this game.

Neither.
It's an action RPG made by a Japanese company based on the Western traditions of chivalry.

don't be silly, there aren't any good western rpgs.

its influenced by western table top fantasy games. Nothing to do with chivalry

The fact that Dark Souls exists proves the superiority of the West over the East.

The East got China and Russia. They got our number.

dark souls as a series only had 1 good game, bloodborne and demon's souls are far better. in fact, dark souls 2 and 3 are some of from soft's worst games.

What about Demon's Souls? I just picked it up, and it looks like online is still active

Never played it

It's a hack and slash game with inventory management and skill upgrades, dumbass.

RPG is such a vague definition. Crash Bandicoot is an rpg.

To me it feels more like an action game that has RPG elements. My understanding of RPGs is that they aren't just stats and level ups, they are about your character's skill. Dark Souls combat is more about player skill than it is character skill. I've only really started playing RPGs in the last few years so I could be wrong, but it just doesn't seem right to me to call games like Dark Souls and Skyrim ARPGs when they play nothing like Diablo 2, Grim Dawn, etc. (player skill has an effect, but character skill is still highly important).

diablo 2 is pretty shitty compared to other games that actually embrace the action and hordes of enemies style of game, like gauntlet dark legacy. diablo just relies on shit skinner boxes to stay engaging for the player, it's never actually good.

the online isn't super active, but it's a great game, bloodborne is even better.

only if you treat it vaguely, generally rpg means stats, equipment, inventories and shit when it comes to video games. table top and literal interpretation shitters may want to kill themselves

And White Men Can't Jump is a walking simulator.

RPG is any game with abstraction. Chess is 100% RPG.

Much more so for Dark Souls 3.

Well you see friend, RPG means "Role Playing Game". With that definition, we can conclude that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is an RPG because you are Role Playing as the Boss.

Here you go bud, a Western RPG and you can't deny this one.

HERE'S AN RPG FOR YOU YA MOTHER FUCKERS

it's a pretty weak game, with worse shooting than its contemporaries, worse stealth than its contemporaries, worse level design than its contemporaries. It's like babby's first immersive sim style game. You play it to fit in, but it's so surface level you're deluding yourself if you think it's anything special. It's only neat claim to uniqueness is how occasionally the narrative reflects your actions and choices from earlier on, but even then this is disregarded for most of the game. Like after the first few hours it rarely happens again outside of some throw away moments, makes it feel really shallow when you see how half-baked the effort was.

TL:DR

it's medicore, there's better games from the period that get neglected over the meme status of deus ex

It's technically a JRPG because it was made in Japan. That's all it really takes to be a JRPG. And all it really takes to be a WRPG is to be made in the west.

Unsarcastic contrarianism is the most disgusting meme in existence

can't defend your little meme game can ya

what

It's not mediocre. There's your defense.

Chess is so far fucking removed from the concept of an RPG that it doesn't even follow the basic definition of RPG. What role do you play?

It feels jappy but is ultimately western in style and gameplay.

War General

you're pretty boring, oh well

western games don't have good game play you silly goose

soldiers, horses, fortresses, knights, queens, kangz an shit

Oh so you're the king? Who directly controls every other piece? And moves castles? Whose wife traverses the entire field in an instant? Who himself moves slow as fuck and is absolutely vulnerable? Dank "role"

The king is actually an essential and powerful piece that decides end game scenarios by testing the player's ability to effectively utilize and place him.
The king's ability to move in all directions makes him a master in board control.

it's a good rpg

888?

Doesn't the queen also move in all directions? And even farther? What is chess implying?

You clearly don't understand the concept of using all your pieces.
Chess is a game of utilization. If you fail to use something, you are putting yourself at a heavy disadvantage.

That's not hard to see user, I'm just saying the queen is way better an individual piece than the king, if you ignore him being the game over trigger

How is it not an RPG?

Holy shit weebs are actually this retarded. I bet you think MGS is a good stealth game don't you?

An action rpg with Western mechanics made by Japs.

i bet you're really fun to talk to one on one

But I guess there's no dialogue tree so it doesn't count :^)

what makes it not count is that there's no skill checks retard

The entire game is a skill check :^)

And as always, anyone who uses this term has no worthwhile opinion.

That's some killer irony kiddo.

yeah nigger
you play a role in every game except puzzle games with no characters
skill checks are what make rpgs rpgs

Its shit

A Japanese western-style RPG.

Literally only exist for PvP multiplayer, and it's a long stretch to say pic related is roleplaying.
Isn't roleplaying. Well I guess to the skyrim generation it is.
You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Step back and think about all the games that are now RPGs with this retarded logic. You used this same type of shit in your other post to

All moral choice games are now RPGs
Still isn't roleplaying
Duke Nukem 64 is now an RPG

Neither. Stats and upgrades don't make an RPG.

RPGs are awful.

Everyone has shit taste.

White Men Can't Jump and Plumbers Don't Wear Ties. What a time to be alive.

The entire game can easily be beaten bare-ass naked at SL1, so the participation in the RPG elements is completely voluntary. The medium's just been so polluted with dumbed-down infusions of RPGs and other genres that any game with RPG elements is an RPG now.

I prefer Japanese games myself, but holy shit this the most shit-for-brains attempt I've seen at defending the JRPG genre.

WRPG's realize that RPG's have inherently shit gameplay because you can't make a particularly FUN game revolving around upgrading stats just so it becomes easier to upgrade your stats next time you do it. Instead, they make your stays have a role to play in the story and how you approach issues. Like the figure checks in New Vegas, or the different routes to take in Deus Ex. So, in other words, role playing. A story with abstraction.

Honestly, the only JRPG I've seen with good gameplay is Xenoblade Chronicles. It's very strategic, and you don't have to watch a 30 second long cutscene before it fades into a battle screen.

Also
Drink bleach.

Hey I know you guys are arguing about genres but tell me if I did right on my first playthrough so far (yes, I never got around to Dark Souls until just now)

I was grinding in an area two steps harder than the one with the boss I was grinding for. Now apparently I can more or less waltz into the Depths and farm the rat gauntlet there for more Humanity.

amidoinitrite?

Pointless semantics. Why not define these terms? Is it because there's no consensus on what these terms mean? Is it because trying to draw a consensus on the aforementioned terms is akin to pulling teeth? In order to categorize [Game_X] as [Genre_Y], the definition of said genre needs to be clear. Because it isn't in this case, the conversation cannot proceed, but that sure as hell isn't going to stop shitposters from shitpostan.

Dark Souls is a Japanese made, western fantasy inspired action RPG. It's just that simple. No need to further convolute the description by adding in nonsensical terms.