AM2R and stuff

So hey, quick question: what's the optimal configuration to play Another Metroid 2 Remake with a WaveBird controller?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Mayflash-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Port/dp/B00RSXRLUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471233503&sr=8-1&keywords=smash controller adapter
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
am2r.freeforums.org/post25265.html
youtube.com/watch?v=RpXEBvc7Ync
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

amazon.com/Mayflash-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Port/dp/B00RSXRLUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471233503&sr=8-1&keywords=smash controller adapter

This is what I use. Should work fine for wavebirds.

Oh, I already have that one. Yes, it works great with the WaveBird.
Which is, in my opinion, an impressive controller to this day.
(I also have the original Metroid II cartridge so for me to play the free remake is less morally ambiguous, I guess)

What I meant with the question is, what's the optimal button setup.
Should A be jump and B shoot? What do I do with Y and X?
What should the the optimal function of Z be? I ask because I don't think I even know what the function of the game are, although I guess they more or less mimic the functions Metroid Fusion has.

lmao?

What kind of Hori?
You know they have more than one model, right?

they have a hori pad (no stick) for the gamecube and a hori n64 controller that shits on nintendo's n64 controller

Sure, I've seen it. The D-pad is nice and big.
It's not wireless though. Also it's not cheap.

For anyone with the invisible Gravity Suit

Installing the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) fixed the issue for me.
microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

I have the Hori Pokken controller.
It's great for 2D games and comfy as fuck.

why the fuck would you ever want a wireless anything

I have a cat who chews exposed wires.

He's honestly semi-retarded. I feel bad for him.

get wire covers and put them on things. i also have a cat that's a fucking asshole retard. stopped chewing after tasting lemon.

It's pretty much Fusion's/Zero Mission's set up, though you can bind Z to flip between missiles/super missiles/power bombs if you want.

I have that Hori N64 mini pad, the analog stick is waaaay oversensitive, you can't aim for shit in any game that requires precision.

So close to being perfect but that issue is a dealbreaker for so many games.

You're a good friend.

It really figures that a shit-eating casual hyped for dumbed-down Zero Mission-style garbage like AM2R would also want to play the game with a controller that is exceptionally awful for playing 2D games.

Or maybe fuck you.

I have Super NES controllers, but right now I can't build an USB adapter.

so whatever happened ti the fax thing?

There's already an update out for the game that patches this. Also adds a shortcut to the last area.

Mark made the thread at like 3am and deleted it six hours later since he's an autist that doesn't realise people have different sleep schedules / jobs.

What's "the fax thing" and why are you asking me.

Didn't mean to reply to you.
Nintendo waited until the day that AM2R was released to C&D it after years of hard work. We decided that they are fuckheads and would spam their faxes with images involving Metroid and AM2R to send a message that we hate them for what they did to Metroid.

Sounds like a cool plan. A fun plan, though probably not very effective.

It was the best we could do. It worked with steam so why not.

Nice. I managed to download it before Nintendo snatched it.

Did the game get "accidentally" leaked or was it hacked by an "anonymous" hacker?

Consider one of these. Unlike Retrolink, the motherfuckers that make these things make good shit.

Sage for shilling.

That looks good, but if it's USB and USB only then I can't use it with my actual consoles.
Not that I wouldn't get one, but I prefer adaptors. Also even if I bought one today I'd have to wait for it to arrive, and I live in fuckin' Chile.
Also even if it's cheap it can't be free, and I already blew my gaming budget for this month (which is why I'm playing a free game) and I'm pretty sure at least one of my kids will be needing braces soon, so every penny counts. You may think I'm being cheap, but every single penny counts. One has to save. I can't just buy whatever cool thing I see any more.

AM2R 1.1 got released, fixing the invisible Gravity Suit bug amongst other things
am2r.freeforums.org/post25265.html
get it while you can

You're a cool bro.

Muchas Thank-You's

Let me buy you a beer.

Which game? Do you mean AM2R? It got officially released by its developer, it's a standalone game created in GameMaker by a guy. Nintendo had it taken down, but once something is on the internet you can't get rid of it.

I have been out of work for a month and I've been thriving off of saltine crackers and ramen noodles since. You're just being reasonable here.

He did the smart thing by setting up an official torrent. Not there's zero chance of stopping it from getting out.

Just be patient until you have money again.

A nice alternative could be the Madcatz fightpads made for PS3/XBOX that also work on PC (pic related) I had one a couple of years ago, and it was nice for 2D games. It should cost around 10.000 - 18.000 CLP.

La weá kkjaskjaskjas, Arbo canpión

Oh hey. How come I keep finding Chileans here?

That can't be healthy. Hope you find a job soon.

>Bought a few of those since they literally where selling them dirt cheap and trying to get rid of them.
What sorcery is needed?

How's the D pad?

Because.
La wea fome ql asdkjafkjhsdlkjfalg.

No seriously, how did you make it work? Did you have to get some shady ass, probably malware drivers, or did you get a relatively easy place?

I just finished the game with the patch, I what's a good time to finish this game in?

can I keep my save?

chile is the shitposting capital of latin america

Yes, you can keep your save.
You can use it, but you sure can keep it.

But we're so anal IRL. We're downright joyless in comparison.

tfw can't find powerbombs.

wander around

Of course you can't find it.
You haven't even reached the area where you find it.

Ah, I'm just trying to find the 2 more metroids.

(check'd)

I dunno, I just plugged it in and it worked on all of my emulators and many games (I actually played the AM2R demo long ago with that controller). The PS3 one (that I had) doesn't have xinput, so it probably didn't get recognized as a XBOX360 controller by your game, and it didn't support directinput.

The controller even works on Linux. It's comfy as fuck for genesis games.

Because embed related.
La Jueza best girl

It feels very good, but it's not very durable. I played lots of SMW Romhacks and Genesis games with it, and I prefered it a lot over PS3 and XBox360 controllers.

I've not tried a Genesis or Saturn controller in my life (yet), so I don't know if my opinion is really valid or not.

That's why we vent ourselves on the internet.

never mind I found them. Should have study my map a lot harder.

OK, that makes sense.
What makes little sense is that video, but I'd be a filthy liar if I said I didn't laugh.

The Tester is such a retarded fight, jump+fire+dodge at the same time with the shit jump timing, and you can't stand on a thing for more than 2 fucking seconds

I liked it, it was somewhat more methodical and less hectic that usual.

So my first playthrough was on hard. I got the spazer and fought the Torizo boss, and in his flight form, he shot 3-way shots.

My second playthrough, I was on normal, and didn't have the spazer. He only shot 1-way shots.

yeah I heard hard changes quite a bunch of things, I'm gonna get 100% on normal and then I'll start again and try to speedrun the game on hard.

Got one myself, and I love the shit out of it

I played it with one of these fuckers. It was a pain in the ass to set up, but once you get it going it is a pretty comfy controller.

Well that's the thing, I don't know if it changed because of finding the beam, or because I was on hard. I assume hard, because I can see the 360 Drone or whatever it's called having new attacks.

Man, this game sure was damn good. I already finished it on GB, but it was a nice memory trip trough most of it. It sure kicks Axiom Verge in the ass.

Never use a normal GC controller for 2D platformers. The d-pad is one of the worst ever made. It's way too stiff.

I have been playing old platformers on emulators for many years with a 360 controller and I can deal with that, but the GC d-pad is just intolerable. I couldn't even stay crouched in Rondo of Blood, Richter would just randomly stand up and get hit. Had to use a classic controller, and even that was shit.

If you want one good controller that you can use on everything, try to find a good PS2 controller, because you can basically use it on any console with the right adapter. Or just get a controller for one of the new consoles.

The SNES controller is shit for some games. Try to play MMX with that. You can't fucking dash properly because the buttons are not close enough to each other.

If they aren't already taken, play on a 3DS.If you haven't destroyed it after Nintendo took another down.Only one of these is the game you're looking for.

I'd try low% on this if I had better pad

youtube.com/watch?v=RpXEBvc7Ync

This is very disappointing for anyone who wanted a challenge, though I shouldn't be complaining considering how much those things kicked my ass my first time playing.

Remember when having fun was easy?

So you're telling me metroids on normal don't dodge half the fucking missiles I shoot ?

Metroids are biologically impossible anyway. The whole concept is bananones.

No I played it on Normal as well, the basic ones that can dodge still dodge every other attack or whatever they do.

Metroids would just skip some of the metabolic process. They leave dry husks, which implies they drain all the fluids and possibly petrify biologic matter on the spot.

How do they float, though?

Bummer, you can't set the directions to the D-pad with Game Cube controllers.
Not with this game.

Do you enjoy masochism, user?

How do those croissant bug things float?

What? 2D platformers are best played with the D.

Emitting energy.

Yes, but not with the Gamecube's D-pad.

Yeah, I agree it's a pitiful D pad. Tiny and misplaced.

The GameCube wasn't even meant to have a D-pad in the first place. Also, what was up with that fucking obsession over purple? GBC, GameCube and GBA all had purple as their primary color. I could understand it if purple was just an option, but it was the color they used for all their marketing and official displays. Is there anyone who like purple? Even girls would rather have pink than purple.

Holy shit, is that an actual prototype?
It's about the ugliest think I've seen, and I'm not even talking about the purple.

Why is the Wave Bird called Wave Bird?

Purple is a color that has never been used for a console before, not to mention it looks good and stands out in the living room.

It's fucking bird magic, it even says so in the manga they are basically science wizards.

Looks like I'm just very slightly further than you, and I can tell you that you aren't supposed to find them yet. I'm fairly certain that the area I'm in now is where they are, which is probably about 5-10 minutes of progress from where you are.

Oh dang, you can use them on PC now? When I first got mine I couldn't find shit on how to set them up for PC.
I think I might just do that, I've been using my xbox 360 controller which totally fucking sucks for this game. You have no idea how many shine sparks I've fucked up because the dpad is a load of shit.

Now that's what I call a controller.

Now that's what I call a controller.

Does this have enough buttons to play AM2R?

I thought I would only really need 6 since that's what the GBA had, but apparently it makes use of "modern controllers" and "double shoulder buttons"
I could also just get a logitech and deal with it, but I like the D-Pad and build on this one.

Of course not. Wireless is for fags who like bothering with batteries and latency.

Has plenty, it only makes use of a couple more buttons than the GBA games.

yes

Where can I get one of these that is both compatible with PCs and of good quality?

Oh and by good quality, I mean something like the original controller made by SEGA.

Has anyone else managed to beat this on hard using a keyboard? I feel pretty accomplished after all those omegas.

If you ask me, both the GC and 360 controllers have equally terrible D-pads. GC D-pads are too small and stiff, 360 D-pads are the right size but horribly inaccurate.

PS2 and/or PS3 controllers are totally the way to go.

Purple's a great color as long as it's medium to dark purple. But make it too light and you get lavender, the worst of all colors. Personally, Nintendo Purple was a little lighter than I'd prefer, but it was acceptable.

I'm back after playing a good chunk of the game. I can see why they recommend a 360 controller, since there's actually analog input as well and four shoulder buttons would be nice, but it works fine with the Zero Mission/Fusion set up. That and the updates to the controls like a dedicated morph button make it just so smooth to play.
I'd hate to play this game on a keyboard.

Overall this is exceptional, it's fucking better than Zero Mission and Fusion for damn sure, and I personally like it better than Super.

Dunno, I straight up use an original with a usb adapter. The adapter and the controller cost me like 40 bucks total, but you can probably find both for way cheaper than that since I didn't really bother looking very hard.

I was never a fan of the segmented D-Pad. By segmenting the middle you lose the ability to keep your thumb primarily in the center and just tilt it to press a direction, as easily as something like most of SEGA's D-Pads which are completely solid.