What Causes So Many People To Get Mad At Games?

Video games almost never piss me off. The only time I get upset when the game is blatantly cheating (input reading is the biggest offense) or bugs ruining my experience. And even then I'm never thrown into a fit of rage and am usually mildly upset. These events are rare in the first place since the games I usually play aren't buggy.

Saying that, I've seen many people complain and get absolutely livid over the smallest shit. Even worse is most of said events could have been prevented or they put themselves in that situation. And then they make the same mistake over and over which frustrates them more.

So really it's more like, why are people mad at the game when they don't want to actually play the game it's meant to be played, and then get punished?

Some people get mad, some people don't. Maybe we can use videogames in the future to decide which people are intelligent enough to live and breed and which are chattel to be purged.

Friendly reminder that, if you break your own stuff because you're so mad at video games, you should seek professional help.

iz lyk wen nigguhz b postan on boards talkn shit bout otha niggaz postan on dem same boards. is lyk y tho nigguh? aaaayyyyy

this
It's the surest sign that you're getting way too mad.

I get pissed and have a quick "hurr this game is bullshit, poorly designed garbage, etc" moment, then I catch myself, calm the fuck down and try to figure out what I did wrong and correct it instead of solving nothing by bitching in my head.

At worst, it baffles me to notice blatant IA cheating (the worst I've seen is in Soul Calibur games, especially Soul Blade where the IA seems to have jumps between "oh yeah, hit me harder" and "now I'm mad") and access to knowledge/ressources it shouldn't have (nearly every RTS does that), but outside of that, I don't care that much.

Hello, Total War Attila

I just get mad out of frustration, but when that happens I just leave the control, turn off the console and reevaluate my life.

What I said applies to basically every RTS though. AoE2 and WC3 especially.

Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Stadium 2 make me rage the fuck out. I mean Pokemon is always a little bullshit with some of it's rolls, but with Stadium 1 & 2 the CPUs rolls are far too sweet for it to just be luck. I've had countless matches where I've had a 90% win condition and a perfectly timed series of confusions/flinches/paralysis or criticals will fuck me over and leave me out my play time and mad.

Also fuck the challenge cup.

Oh, and I forgot to add that Gen 1 and 2 are broken messes with mechanics that don't make sense when pushed to competitive play which doesn't help the situation. Fuck genwunners.

Fuck that game.

I've enjoyed every last TW game EXCEPT that travesty

I'll admit I got angry at some of the bosses in DS2, it was my first Souls game and the Ruin Sentinels and Royal Rat Authority pissed me off so much. Then I got good.

True, it just hit close to home

Roll faggots

That's funny I've enjoyed most except for ROME II

As a poorfag growing up. I've never understood this. Shit is expensive and if I were to ever break my shit it would almost never be replaced. I see people breaking their own stuff every once in a while and think "What the fuck is wrong with you?". It's like watching a child throw a tantrum. And I know damn well once you're used to breaking shit, it never actually works to calm you down and could even fuel your rage.

I've seen more whites break controllers/keyboards.

Forgot about this since I barely play RTS. Psychic AI is bullshit. I can understand hard mode making the enemies start with more resources but if they're going to just make them cheat. They should go the Perfect Dark way and give them a name, like Dark Sims.

Daily reminder that any kid destroying their consoles, computers or hardware out of a stupid rage should be beaten the shit out of them.

Aren't you aware how many chinese men suicided so you can play Call of duty?

When a game controls poorly and feels absurdly slow, then tops it off with some sort of enemy group or boss that knocks me into a corner and doesn't let me get up until I die. cough007racingcough

That shit. Also certain matches in Insurgency where I constantly get shot out of nowhere, or close quarters fights were somehow the enemy always gets the jump on me.

Ruin Sentinels is SmallTime compared to Demon's Souls Man Eaters

???

That's in the case of just bad hitboxes.

At that point, I get bored and stop playing.

Well, think of your mother's wallet at least.

I'd say it all boils down to frustration, frustration to being ==SHIT==

Reminds me making people rage quit fighting games by constantly grabbing them in the corner. Even worse if it's a grappler. Fighting games are the paragon of bully simulators. It makes me laugh harder when they say "All you do is use the same move". Why should I use any other move when 1 works just fine?

The prepatched Ruin Sentinels and that first major boss at the bottom of the prison were some tough fuckers. They became pathetic after the patch. The Man Eaters are easy once you know to take the fight to the center of the stage and not stand your ground on the dark bridge. But man did that tackle move send me to hell plenty of times.

The frustration usually comes from lack of understanding. They don't know why they are losing. Then proceed to use the same strategy with more effort behind it, only to lose again. Causing more frustration.

I completely forgot people actually get upset at fightan. I just drink and talk more shit tbh.

Only one book I've ever read has ever diven me to anger. That's Anansi Boys, and everyone should read it. You'll know the scene.

I vaguely recall being angry at a few ovies when I was younger because I didn't understand why x person was doing y stupid thing, but not anymore.

But videogames tend to cause a good deal of investment, emotional and temporal. You spend an hour doing x and lose all the progress, you're gonna be frustrated. That's just how it is.

I think I agree with you mostly because it happens to me. I follow all the strategies previous people did and try to imitate them, then I just grunt as I keep losing.

Oh and all you had to do was follow the Damn train, CJ

Also the rc plane missions

I think those are just down to shit controls though tbh

Or the Alone in the Dark reboot car sections.

The midgame, where you just conquer without stopping is fun, but then the terrible inner faction diplomacy and public order problems turn it all into a shit show

And Attila was so much worse, I came for TOTAL WAR, not Public Order Simulator

You're probably right, at least I found you can spam magic at the ruin sentinels

This is very true, as much as I've come to enjoy DS2, bad hitboxes are bad hitboxes.

I never got it either, though that may be because I grew up on couch multiplayer with my brothers, so when I was at the stage where people develop that habit I'd beat up my brother instead of the gear.

i haven't gone full blown lost my shit in years, but for some reason i find myself feeling noticeably more annoyed when playing an online game than i do playing locally

Ruin Sentinels were always completely wrecked by simply wielding a greatshield. I don't understand why anyone ever had a problem with them.

Probably because I never use shields at all, my build is mostly a longsword in one hand and magic in the other, switching between two handed and dual wielding

i only get frustrated if some enemy attacks me from range in an action game when im tangling 3 other guys. ranged enemies a shit.
that is why i didn't finish dark souls.

I don't get it. Not only does the game tell you what to expect and how to enjoy it but you ignore it and continue to do something that makes you mad. ON TOP OF THAT you waste money destroying your OWN property

Fighting games are definitely fun for me. But watching someone trying to hide their anger and saying something smug because you know they're angry is priceless. If I do get mad, I'll notice I'm mad from something and then laugh it off.

Man I love fighting games.

The manga Onani Master Kurosawa made me rage when actual spoiler the MC saw the girl he like start dating the otaku. It made perfect sense why it happened but it made me furious. I don't think I had been that mad in years. But I'm glad a story gripped me enough to put me on a emotional roller coaster like that. I think many should read it.

If I raged out on my brothers they would kick my ass with ease.

explain?

that part of the brain looks like a penis

It's unnerving how daily I run into that kind of personality in the real world. Fuck people like that, and fuck people who can't have fun exhibitions with their friends. The whole fun of playing with friends is to actually treat it like what it is: a game. Thank god for the most part I keep the type of company that doesn't treat shit as if it it were important.

Roll

I've never broken something, but I have gotten frustrated when I reach a part and fail a few times in a row. Especially when to retry means a good few minutes to reach the section again.

I knew the scene before I read the spoiler. I didn't feel anger when I got to that, but for some reason I felt my heart sink.

I think I could provide a sample.

No wonder people think turn based RPGs are grinding sims. Some people are terrible at decision making in these types of games. Most RPGs these days require 0 grinding if you just learn to play the game. It's just good management, seeing patterns, and good decision making. For example, Seymour third form is a boss many consider hard. This guy literally has 5 moves he uses over and over in a simple pattern. Lance of Atrophy, full heal, attack, dispel, massive damage AOE attack. It's something like that. He slightly changes up when he casts protect on himself and gets a stronger AOE attack. But people have trouble seeing a pattern this simple and making a strategy around it.

No wonder a game like Natural Doctrine got a 4/10 for being "The Dark Souls of Tactical RPGs".

Oh, chalk that up to me misunderstanding what the thread was about. I thought this was just a generic "what makes you mad, Holla Forums?" thread. Yeah you're right, some people can't just think shit out. I'm probably one of them when it comes to shit like speedrunning.

I think you need to go see a doctor immediately if that looks like a penis to you.

"you own stuff" include body parts?

Everyone who plays video games is more or less autistic, and when you get a bunch of unpredictable, strange and otherwise disturbed people together to do something, you don't know what the fucks going to happen. That's why there are so many videos of autists, both young and old, screeching online, because a sperg put in the effort to make them screech and scream.

Video games are seriously business shitlord. Jokes aside, I used to be an autistic tourneyfag Melee player when I was young. I would always get made when I got my shit slapped. Only when I stopped taking it seriously, looked at things from different angles, and started playing for fun, I got much better. When Sm4sh came out which was nearly 2 years ago holy shit I used to teach people here how to play. Turns out people who legit wanted to get better were more understanding and fun to play with than the "fun only" folk who had a unfounded hatred for "tourneyfags" (read as people who wanted to get better. Tourneyfags haven't been a thing for years).

I was upset because I thought she would be the one to set his life straight. He was finally crawling out of his hole and becoming a better person. Then she dates the otaku. It makes perfect sense why it happened. Their personalities are nearly the same and they've been in cram school all summer together. They were already friends before they went in. Still, seeing her leave him behind hurt hard. And watching him tear everything they developed after that apart hurt even more.

Damn man that manga was good. Makes me want to read Molester Man again too. Kansai is just too bro-tier to be real. Do you have any recommendations for a good romance manga?

Its been a while since a JRPG gave me a lot of trouble. Now it seems the latest fad is the dungeon crawler genre. Instead of making a decent story with a bunch of towns and set pieces. Smaller devs are now making dungeon crawlers. These are usually much harder and lack a decent story. But I don't mind the lack of story as long as it gives me a reason to kill things and explore. Some DC bosses really puzzle me. Like I was stuck on a few bosses in Dungeon Travelers 2. I really hope the sequel and more of these types of games come over seas.

Shits only good as a sumo simulator fam, shiggy

Yes.
I know some people punch the wall when they're mad. Think about it: hurting oneself over VIDEO GAMES. It's silly.

I've never had a problem with RPGs in general. The game never limits the grind or tells you what the best level is to attack a boss so I grind regardless.

SPOILER: almost every single AI does that, some are better at hiding it is all.

I think you're talking about a very specific situation and then generalising it all to fuck to cover all situations that involve anger.
I get mad at games that give me a hard time but it makes me want to keep playing. It's a good thing.
Games I don't like don't make me mad. They bore me. They make me feel depressed

People expect to be the best at a game, which means never dying or never getting hit. So when someone or something challenges that statement, people get angry because they are not as strong as they thought. Of course loading times, and if they meep dying, doing the same repeatingly does not help calm them. If they tried to get good and improve their skill, then they could eventually be posting vids of them doing insane shit while never dying. However, most people just quit and remain dsp-tier bad.

Singleplayer

>Crushing hopelessness in the most basic of mechanics memorization. Note: Applies 95% of the time to Fighting Games. I don't think I have it in me to ever play one beyond the most basic of scrub levels. Hell, years of trying and I can't use Charge Characters, or Grapple Characters.

Multiplayer

>Being shut out so hard that it's pointless to continue, and games these days are multiplayer competition only for the most part. Even cooperative efforts like your local MMO - competition for loot rolls. Enforced PvP zones. Also, Fighting Games, again.

>Did I mention teammates? 99% of games with Teammates will have assholes as your allies, and gods from the ultra platinum division or whatever super tier of matchmaking there is versus me and my "crew". Muting my crew also doesn't work too well since if it's a game with teammates, I'm not too good at it, since it is most definitely without a shadow of a doubt fucking DOTA, and that shit stresses me WITHOUT FUCKING PEOPLE.

Hell, Multiplayer gaming pisses me off the most, and I'm feeling a headache coming on just thinking about it. Just..pump out a good worthy singleplayer game without Multiplayer gimmicks needed to proceed once in a while, and I'll be just fine and cozy.

Man.

Seeing shit like that in a narrative is just absolutely gaurenteed to stir me up. I'm still pissed at Anansi Boys simply because that whole scene was set up to fuck with the guy. And he gets another love interest later, but it's so terribly poorly explored it hardly feels fair. Like, fuck, I didn't get nearly this pissed at American Gods when I found out HOW his fiancee kicked the bucket, but come the hell on

You could replace video games with a bunch of activities. For example sports. People will rage over sports, even fight others over their opinion on another team. In Brazil they use that as a excuse to riot. People who you'll never see playing a sport will follow it religiously like how people praise e-celebs or fighting game players. People make fandoms over them and all this other crazy shit.

People just want to fit into a community and will sometimes do whatever it takes to rise in said community. Having the best tastes, knowing the most about an absolutely meaningless subject. Or being the biggest dick sucker there ever was. I don't think this is autistic. However I think how much they value it over other things can determine how autistic they are.

I'm not a fan of Sm4sh. It was clear that Sakurai hates tourney players and wants to remove anything sort of depth the game could have. Honestly PM was the most fun I've had with Smash in general. I'm upset Nintendo was actually intimidated by it and silently killed it off behind the scene. Just for Konami to finally pull the trigger.

It kind of reminds me of SFV. It's obviously full of flaws but so many high level players put up with it because Capcom is pushing so much money into it so it's very profitable to win a tourney. Just like Sm4sh and Pokken, which honestly should have never been at EVO.

As someone who used to get really mad at vidya, I think it's a feeling of frustration at the game because you lose and the player themselves getting angry at themselves for fucking up. This manifests itself as all the anger being directed at the game to distance oneself from fault. How many times have you heard
or
and how many times have you heard
Once I got into the mentality that games are there to challenge me and I'm there to figure out how to get over the challenge, I don't get mad anymore. Unless it's bullshit like Plesioth, he's back to being a swimming shitter in Generations and that shit triggered me the fuck outta there

Not sure if I'm actually doing that. I'm talking about the game pissing the player off and why they're so upset. I get angry at myself for something stupid but I wouldn't count that as the game making me mad. If I really hit a wall. I sleep on it and try again another time. That usually works even if I pick up the game months later.

Reminds me of the article explaining that it's not that games make people more violent. What causes the most anger is bad mechanics. Then again, what people may consider as a bad mechanic may just be them not understanding how it works and how to properly use it. Not that there can't be an actual bad mechanic. Like The Last of Us removing the x-ray vision on the hardest mode, when the game is designed around having x-ray vision.

I've just avoided none local multiplayer games for years outside of Dark Souls since invading in that game is essentially a bully sim.

Always so satisfying. Especially when they try to climb away and you throw shit at them to make them come back down. I don't even mind when I get invaded. It makes the game more fun.

I miss Gravelording so much. It was like making yourself a boss character.

The Old Monk boss in Demon's Souls was great. Becoming the boss and fighting a group of people was some cool shit. 3 on 1 fights were absolutely crazy. However grass was broken and made the game hyper aggressive because anyone could heal to max with no effort.

This phrase makes me unreasonably irritated

I know what you mean. To anyone that played games from the late 80s and 90s. Games being hard were common practice. It kept the player engaged and felt satisfying when you won. Then after many years of easy games, one comes out and becomes popular. Now people compare it to that when they mention hard games. Yet we know it's only moderately difficult and can easily be cheesed so casuals can feel great beating the "hardest game of our time".

The quote I was using before came from the NISA commercial of Natural Doctrine. Great game btw.

Biblical

This actually agitated me through the video.

I cant stand being beaten by AI, Don't know why but it makes me furious. Though when playing multiplayer I'm always happy.

You want something even worse?

Try Call of Warhammer, a few turns after you take a settlement a army will spawn from fucking no where to take it back.

weak people project their shit on anyone-anything they can

They grow back.

Mostly feel annoyed by games. Though Odin Sphere did piss me off because of the mages and the slimes.

please don't post that nightmare here

I remember I had a 100% save for Ratchet and Clank 1 with all the gold weapons and my sister got mad at me and deleted it as I walked into my room.

I've never been mad as fuck in a video game. At least from what I can remember. But at worst I'll feel annoyed that I'm doing shit in multiplayer games.

Good god what the fuck is wrong with this guy? He breaks hundreds of dollars worth of controllers.
I wish I had that kind of money to burn.

maybe if you act like a dumbass on youtube youll get paid

100% sure you are.
Again, your own experience can't be generalized to all people.
Anger is not always a bad thing and it doesn't always mean you're doing something wrong. Likewise, anger isn't always due to frustration out of doing something wrong, sometimes it comes from legitimate challenge.
You keep talking about people being upset as if it was a bad thing. Not all people that get upset call the game shit and rant about it on twitter. Anger's helpful to keep you going.

Yeah but controllers cost like a hundred bucks for one, not to mention he didn't even make this vid.
That being said, I knew people who would do this. I know one kid who threw his DS at the wall while playing Mario 64.

The only game I've ever sperged out over is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. Being fucked over by lag in an intense duel is a surefire way to make me go Hulk, but only in that game for some reason.

I've never understood why.

lag is a surefire way to upset me

The same reason professional chess, go, and sports players break down in tears after losing a game. They feel incredibly invested in the game and for them to come so far only to lose it all is extremely upsetting for them.

The erroneously inflated perception of their own skill level. They cannot accept responsibility for performing poorly, so they lash out at everything else – teammates, hardware, software. Anything to avoid taking blame and feeling bad about themselves.

you say that as if people cant be upset that they arent the best

I was playing AoE2 when something like this happened. I watched guys literally POURING out of the barracks, like 1 every 2 seconds, while my troops were attacking the AI's town.

a mixture of autism, being shit at vidya and being a worthless person

roll

Invested time and effort rendered null because of some shitty game design.
It's not fun to lose your progress, especially when it takes a lot of time.

Mad at what? The technical aspect of the game or its content? If the latter, its because people are so stupid they believe everything has to appeal to them, so they get mad when something doesnt and proceed to waste their time shitting on it

You've clearly never been to fighting tournaments. Nigs rage way worse than any white.

This is why MMR systems could turn Lake Superior into the Caspian Sea.
Any rank, number, whatever, is just an attempt to let you play a balanced match. In games with high skill ceilings, if a new player plays against the general population the game is unreasonably difficult.
Instead, people see it as a fucking feudal system, and think that they're somehow entitled to a higher position in a match-making algorithm.
That guy who kicked your ass probably plays for fourteen hours a day, fuck it, who cares. Even in team games, your team is either there to drag you down if you're placed too high relative to your skill level, or to carry you if vice versa. Resenting them for being worse than you is wasting effort that could be spent on securing the game instead.