MIDI soundfonts in vidya

Let's discuss MIDI soundfonts.
After getting fed up with winwangs shitty default MIDI audio, what are some good soundfonts for vidya? I downloaded a SC-55 soundfont but it doesn't sound that much better on a RPGmaker fangame

Other urls found in this thread:

vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45600
dosbox.com/wiki/MIDI_software_devices
williamkage.com/snes_soundfonts/
coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth
giantsoundfont.npage.de/
synthfont.com/links_to_soundfonts.html
woolyss.com/chipmusic-soundfonts.php
anapan.525lines.moe/oldscardemu.htm
kode54.net/bassmididrv/
vgmusic.com/
picosong.com/DDtc/
musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/15
hcs64.com
mega.nz/#!eYlnkZCa!Gvsa8YuqLab2QFMqxtFtbnJH9Rwrva87I9FN7eSdyfE
mega.nz/#!CQ9UxL7T!wkZdpkbS1x-YWckYxcnfHAB8j_MDZfabrIxNQuRSJx8
mega.nz/#!nAcE0BDK!tx3TYqqwdCOVdfuAcYClOFoatdw9nLZCoIpOKErzrFM
mega.nz/#!GU03xCrL!3ws8iCWZq3IHEgegePtdcJ3rxYlXX9FGKsiUiq42teg
mega.nz/#!GA9U1RTZ!Htp_wT0JqQQMnpXw6x_3X7PnqI3ezWlZJK-84dYtVuI
mega.nz/#!GZ9F3CiS!8nYF3dj9_P_ZpO6qnJbw0LYiRKMTUHOIz8n6-tEeXko
mega.nz/#!HMdQVSZY!qtuFGS-1lfpEf5FecgGhZ2GzHSqURyFjIiVAsR3-RH8
mega.nz/#!nVkURJJL!d9QtepN4MS0EfqzqmuzrHv3O8twG3mFlqEseRL08BbE
soundcloud.com/ashmusiczone
mega.nz/#!6dMigLoY!Zse-oEKlJJdTwqrKX3O0qGejgvlwsAtda0XHVk87P9I
mega.nz/#!yFFCACyB!D6vyqaauu-lwaoHR6oUln46o0K6S7IBHXpFGu6jtoAo
mega.nz/#!TU0HAIJC!5UK4XztWmbb5S8JzE8ZEL6Dx1Xh_daz8bXUgQVA6YeE
mega.nz/#!GIFhQLqC!63i41JzVOK0QJgFClkPXf-RpTFrM6yTm-Zf3KQtQvXA
mega.nz/#!6Z8VWKZI!__6eSq-tb_ZHz0Ws_FxNUgBBcpH9yPRqSweDnRd3gHY
mediafire.com/download/6am8vwgy43g34nr/rusty1-1.ogg
psf.joshw.info/s/Spec Ops - Stealth Patrol (2000-01)(Runecraft)(Talon).7z
youtu.be/qqSkxzoLt3M?t=2m10s
youtu.be/ZXe8-rfq25A?t=47s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_synthesizer#Microsoft_GS_Wavetable_SW_Synth
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There are several of those, make sure you grab the one from
vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=45600
The other I grabbed were way bigger and sounded worse.

How do i use the Sonatina Soundfont on old MS DOS games?

I downloaded the Patch92 soundfont from this video, gonna try those thanks.

Haven't messed with DOSBox (assuming you're using it) MIDI soundfonts, but I found this wiki article, hopefully it helps you user dosbox.com/wiki/MIDI_software_devices

I will check that out.

I didn't know it supported MIDI files. I've always used mp3 and ogg.

I've been using the Weeds GM Soundfont linked in the dosbox wiki for years, ever since my real SC-55MK2 got ripped off along with most of my games.

I'm playing Pokemon Zeta/Omicron and all the music files are .mid except for 3 .mp3s. Besides setting up virtualMIDIsynth now will help me later when I go back to playing Doom .wads.

I used to have a copy of Age of Empires: Gold Edition but I'm not sure if it used MIDI soundfonts. I know that older, previous versions of it did, though. The soundtracks are completely different and I can't find all of the tracks from Gold Edition.

are there midi soundfounts with words or syllabes and then midi vocals?

Arachno is better.

Anyone know of a Yamaha FB-01 MIDI soundfont?

I use the one called SGM-V2.01

For when Hitler wants everything to sound like Western made Genesis games.

AoE Gold actually removed the Redbook audio soundtrack that was present on the original+expansion discs.

yes, I'm pretty unimpressed with that sound font. I love the YM2612 so it's kind of lame to hear.

williamkage.com/snes_soundfonts/

ew. Get that tin can sounding shit outta here.

this thread is now midival
the description has downloads

Oh shit, nice one.

Outside of a few exceptions, I usually end up using physical things when I wanna listen to midis. Webm related goes from typical sound to a old-ish sound card I have in my pc, to a yamaha keyboard, which has it's own GM/XG set. They're all pretty fun to tinker with.

i thought that was going to be some konami ninja turtles soundtrack

If only Roland weren't so fucking Jewish and released real SC-55 soundfont for PC. There is one for iOS IIRC.

Use this if you want to get rid of shitty standard MS MIDI synth: coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

I use soundfonts with some tracks that I make for my music project. I use fl studio, and from what I've noticed is that good mixing can make a mediocre track become a bretty good track so I'd say learn how to mix and ofc find quality sound fonts for yo shits. Also learn to into music theory.

Do you hate Jesper Kyd or Tim Follin or something you fucking weeaboo?

Tim Follin never made music for a single Genesis game that was actually released.

For orchestral midis look for Crisis general midi 3.1 on Google.

A more rounded soundbank is Giant soundfont:
giantsoundfont.npage.de/

synthfont.com/links_to_soundfonts.html

Old console soundfonts:
woolyss.com/chipmusic-soundfonts.php

Old soundcards soundfonts:
anapan.525lines.moe/oldscardemu.htm

Link with various sites with soundfonts to download.

Also, if you want to use them with Dosbox, emulators for japanese pcs like the PC-88/98
and the x68000 and even windows programs until 7/8 you can install Bassmidi driver:
kode54.net/bassmididrv/

Good shit.
vgmusic.com/

Bump for interest

A page where you can download midi and mods rips of games
www.mirsoft.info

Downloading SNES soundtracks on MIDI and playing them on "The Ultimate Genesis Soundfont" is quite fun.

is there a better Soundfont for Sega Genesis/other consoles sound? I'd love to know it.

Genesis doesn't use midi music like the SNES, it uses a synthesizer.

The page posted has SNES soundtracks arranged in MIDI by fans.

I know, I'm just saying you aren't going to find an accurate soundfont for Genesis since the sound chip doesn't use samples.

Oh okey, now I get it. Thanks for explaining, mate.

So "The Ultimate Sega Genesis Soundfont" is the closest thing I'm gonna get. That's fine, it sounds alright

picosong.com/DDtc/

I'm not that big of a fan of people making samples out of synths. But, you could use a OPL3 soundfont. I believe they're based on what an old sound-blaster would produce when playing midi files.

So I guess if you want something a bit more authentic under windows/midi playback, it's close enough.

musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/15

Airfont 380 final is fantastic for a bloated soundfont that's actually good.

If you like this thread, feel free to browse hcs64.com

i fucking hate this thread

Anyway
hcs64.com
Fixed the link, that's the biggest VGM ripping site available in the planet. Lot of good people there, except for maybe one or two spergs.

Anyways, any of you fellas heard the ripped Sound Version of DKC3 for the GBA? It sounds horrible, but slightly beats the god awful version that is the extra filtered gsf rip. Give it a hear, super low sample rate and all.

mega.nz/#!eYlnkZCa!Gvsa8YuqLab2QFMqxtFtbnJH9Rwrva87I9FN7eSdyfE

Can this be an OSV thread?

If you guys, don't mind. I'm gonna share my warez and archives here, this thread is really nice.

This is the Heartgold and Soulsilver Sound VERSION I ripped straight from the ROM with NCSF, It's the second best existing rendition of it. I say second best because just like the official soundtrack, the samples are just as low, except this doesn't suffer from any filters or added effects. Compare the bellsprout tower from the iTunes rip to this one, I dare you. Faggot.

The tags are near exactly the same from the official soundtrack, with an extra CD full of unused music, not in the iTunes/CD album.

MP3
mega.nz/#!CQ9UxL7T!wkZdpkbS1x-YWckYxcnfHAB8j_MDZfabrIxNQuRSJx8
FLAC
mega.nz/#!nAcE0BDK!tx3TYqqwdCOVdfuAcYClOFoatdw9nLZCoIpOKErzrFM

I have Emerald, Black/White/2 and some other games as well.

i didn't know how much i needed this in my life until a couple hours ago when i downloaded this.
it's a shame most midi arrangements are kind of a shit.

Share your stuff user, go on.

I'm looking through my MEGA, I remember the Black/White not being too good due to me absolutely fucking the replaygain up and making it too loud.

Leafgreen sounds like ear sex though.
Here is Bowser's Inside Story, I don't know where the flac is, but you shouldn't worry too much because it's such an easy conversion with NCSF. I just tagged it.

MP3
mega.nz/#!GU03xCrL!3ws8iCWZq3IHEgegePtdcJ3rxYlXX9FGKsiUiq42teg
Once again, this is the BEST version you'll find in the net without a remaster.

I'm proud of this one, this is the only properly tagged album that exists in the net, along with once again, being the best sounding one. I'll look for the flac version of the other albums I've posted when I find them.

MP3
mega.nz/#!GA9U1RTZ!Htp_wT0JqQQMnpXw6x_3X7PnqI3ezWlZJK-84dYtVuI

I used to contribute to ffshrine until I got perma banned, then I just decided to quit.
I made my own board but it never took off. The websites I linked in the sticky seem to have died now, I still refuse to go back when the pedophile, Nicholas, still owns it.
>>>/ffshrine/ if anyone gives a shit.

I may make more if you ask me, and I've played the game. I would LOVE if someone who knows image editing is willing to make me an album cover for "Pokemon XD"
I'll be sharing emerald once I find it. Sorry for clogging up the thread.

What is this music?

Rusty Ruins Zone from Sonic 3D
God, I love my music

Don't worry, user. Your stuff is welcome.

Thanks for the board shilling, I didn't know it existed

You're welcome, It's pretty much dead now though. Would be awesome if it could become active again. I don't see too many people here from hcs64 though, or ex-shriners, even people generally passionate about the BEST possible sound from a video game, so that's a shame. I'm a huge audio nut, bought an X7 with an AM2 a few months after launch, just talking about it hypes me up.

Anyway. Best audio quality, etc.
MP3
mega.nz/#!GZ9F3CiS!8nYF3dj9_P_ZpO6qnJbw0LYiRKMTUHOIz8n6-tEeXko
FLAC
mega.nz/#!HMdQVSZY!qtuFGS-1lfpEf5FecgGhZ2GzHSqURyFjIiVAsR3-RH8

Here's an album by an old ex-friend, lost touch with him, but I love his music.

mega.nz/#!nVkURJJL!d9QtepN4MS0EfqzqmuzrHv3O8twG3mFlqEseRL08BbE
It's MP3 only, unfortunately, but give his music a listen, It's fucking sexual.
I found his soundcloud too, I'm gonna catch up and see what he's made.
soundcloud.com/ashmusiczone

mega.nz/#!6dMigLoY!Zse-oEKlJJdTwqrKX3O0qGejgvlwsAtda0XHVk87P9I

When the game had hope and the music was memorable.

My old Aztech Sound Galaxy Waverider Pro 32 ISA sound card had awesome soundfont in its ROM. Not very General MIDI conforming, but it sounded awesome in games.

This is a VIDEO GAME
I ripped it straight from the obb file in android, enjoy.

MP3
mega.nz/#!yFFCACyB!D6vyqaauu-lwaoHR6oUln46o0K6S7IBHXpFGu6jtoAo
FLAC
mega.nz/#!TU0HAIJC!5UK4XztWmbb5S8JzE8ZEL6Dx1Xh_daz8bXUgQVA6YeE

This is from the ADX files in Sonic Unleashed.
The mixing is slightly different from the soundtrack and the representation is a little warmer than how cold it is in the album, It's also in 48kHz compared to the slightly lower 44kHz soundtrack, that doesn't really matter though, this is just to show the game AND album both have different native recording qualities along with sample rates, so if you prefer something warmer and less fatiguing, this is for you.
Once again, this has files not present in the soundtrack.

MP3
mega.nz/#!GIFhQLqC!63i41JzVOK0QJgFClkPXf-RpTFrM6yTm-Zf3KQtQvXA
FLAC
mega.nz/#!6Z8VWKZI!__6eSq-tb_ZHz0Ws_FxNUgBBcpH9yPRqSweDnRd3gHY
Chip.

Delicious, thank you, but I think I liked it better with the soundfonts used in the webm.

Would you like me to record the full song? Or do you just want the midi?

I'm not really busy at the moment.

I'm not that user, but…
If you can, please record it.

Alright, here you go.

mediafire.com/download/6am8vwgy43g34nr/rusty1-1.ogg

Kind of off topic but are there any emulators that sound like mt-32 but also support the screen overlay? They could program special messages to appear on the screen during different parts of a game. The only one I know if is boxer for mac.

SOMEBODY GET THIS HOTHEAD OUTTA HERE

Everything on SNES sounds the fucking same, Genesis had real unique music. Check this shit.

Do you know of a way to rip the BGM from Spec Ops on PSX?

What sounds samey about SNES music? Most companies the bigger ones at least. had enough money to make their own instrument samples. So Capcom games never really sound anything like konami, and neither sounded like square-enix, etc… Even within those companies you'd get games that sound different from each-other.

With genesis, everyone is basically using the same kinds of sounds, so you gotta work at it to sound different. (Which plenty of companies did.) Your example is actually what I would expect to hear.

Listen to this, it's probably the best example I can think of in terms of sounding unique.

You mean this LCD display?

You can get an old Soundblaster off ebay pretty cheap.

Rare's games seem to be the only ones that stand out, everything else uses the same percussion instruments and shit and it just spoils the effect, Front Mission for example has a great soundtrack but the instruments make the tracks less dramatic because you've heard them in shit like Super Mario World. I don't know how to explain it, SNES music just sounds 'gay' to me.

Well, I don't really see where you're coming from with this at all. Both the genesis and the SNES have their advantages and disadvantages in sound. (As well as music that sounds samey, but that goes into how unique they from each-other.)

But each to their own.

Which one did you have? I got one with the OPL chip for $30, and some cards are going for around $10.

psf.joshw.info/s/Spec Ops - Stealth Patrol (2000-01)(Runecraft)(Talon).7z

lrn2lurk
This is why I linked hcs.

It's great, m8.

You guys want more music?

They sound good when remastered.

Not him, but I have a CT1740. I had bought a A151-A00 originally, but the guy who shipped it to me didn't bother to actually wrap it properly. It was basically broken when it arrived.

So I went with finding a CT1740, due to being the "standard" OPL3 sound card people suggest. Though I don't know what the differences are between it and the newer models.

This is slightly unrelated but does anyone have any free soundfonts that would be good for writing synthwave?

IIRC Rare did some exceptional bullshit to get their games to sound the way they do on the SNES; aquatic ambience being the prime example in the soundtrack I think.

I do. Sega was the only company that could really make the Genesis sound chip shine. As much of a fan I was about the Genesis, a lot of the games had sounds and music that sounded largely the same.

Bump

I like MIDI. Here's a question: does Melee use the same soundfont as this demo song for the SC-88?
youtu.be/qqSkxzoLt3M?t=2m10s
youtu.be/ZXe8-rfq25A?t=47s

A lot of older games in general sampled off of these modules. I believe Melee uses one of the newer ones, and recorded the song right off machine.

I've been composing using ripped fonts or patches made myself, I like it, but it seems very detrimental to compose on my gaming PC, mainly because instead of composing, I just end up playing video games like a piece of shit.

that and my studio only usually has room for either my controller, or my guitar, I don't think I can fit a dedicated rack in there, so a medium tower might be the next best thing.

Is there a MT-32 soundfont?

Yes, there is, don't remember the name though, I think there are several MT-32 fonts.

In a related post, this sounds way better with the original soundfont instead of shitty samples of it.

Have you heard of gbamus ripper?

Am I doing this right?

Yeah man. You're on point. Those drums are also used in Pokemon Black/White.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_synthesizer#Microsoft_GS_Wavetable_SW_Synth

I love those drums.