Emulation thread

and go

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Nuvee-PS1-PS2-input-plugin-supporting-lightguns-by-Shalma
github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/1508
sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility
orcastraw.com/snes
libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340
filthypants.blogspot.com/2013/06/dedithering-pixel-shaders.html
banana-pi.org/product.html
solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/hummingboard/
shop.udoo.org/usa/quad-dual.html
beagleboard.org/boards
nanopi.org/index2.html
nanopc.org/NanoPC-T2_Feature.html
translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/Emuladores_para_Xbox_360&usg=ALkJrhjWfGD8LyZqx9HACYai7PZ4tuuJHg
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Texture_Packs#Sprite_Replacement_.282D.29
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Metroid and Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti
Illbleed for how crazy that horror game is. As for other games, play the Yakuza games on PS2, Timesplitters,
Is there a best emulator?
Never paid attention to the rom hack scene, ever.
Giving a CRT filter or any filter hurts my eyes, why would you want to cover up beautiful sprites?
Fucking Illbleed. Also play Phantasy Star Online and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the GC while you're at it.

last one

this is the only serie i never touched. I guess it is time to start. Does it emulate good on pcsx2?

That reminds me, I need to get back to fixing all blank spaces.

You need to either buy a real CRT or fucking kill yourself

It emulates good, especially compared to some games like Drakengard 1 which run like shit and the sound keeps fucking up. It's a fun 3D beat em up series by Sega which keeps on getting better through each installment.

I've been wanting to make a Wonder Boy/Monster World thread for days, but I couldn't find the strength to write and interesting op for it.

Here it is, updated SNES chart. Removed shit like the SNK games as well as shitty censored ports of Brandish (that's better played on PC98 or PSP)

Yakuza 1 and 2 can be completed from the beginning to end in PCSX2.
Both have a few graphical glitches and I do not know how well the widescreen hacks work for them.

I was emulating some DOS games, but now I have hardware for that. Mostly Warcraft 1.

I've mostly been using mednafen. iirc the PS1 emulation core is one of the most accurate.

SMB3Mix is pretty cool.

Yes. No shader, it's an actual crt. Nothing special, just a desktop monitor. I'll probably pick up one of those tiny desk-sized TVs eventually. I might try using an older PCI card that has composite output.

Street Fighter 2010, Star Wars, Clash at Demonhead, and The Guardian Legend are some good NES games.

The third image of Samus is correct because it retains the exact pixel data and fidelity that was programmed into the game without blurring it.

Why

just a reminder that emulation is never better than the original hardware and you are settling for an inferior experience.

I only removed games I knew were objectively better played elsewhere

Why

I'd take a 99.9% experience for free over a 100% experience for extravagant hipster prices, with a time limit on out-of-production hardware.

False, PS1 emulation is perfect and all you really need is a decent rig and the controller. Which you can set up with all sorts of DIY guides.

Because the King of the Monsters ports are superior to the neo geo originals. They changed the entire gameplay for the better and removed all the bullshit.
The loss of animation and graphics is justified in exchange of a superior product that leaves the source obsolete.

doesn't ps1 emulation still use horrendous input wrappers like x/dinput? lol, it's shit. Have fun playing time crisis without a light gun.

flash carts, back up loading, modding, etc. if you're smart you can get a better experience.

I didn't even know Neo Geo existed until about 6 years ago.

I grew up with SNES, and had a blast playing it.

Explain.

But that's not the original hardware now is it user?

That's nice. But the SNK ports were mediocre. There's no reason playing them now.

Sure there is. I want to play them again as I remember them.
Your very same logic could be applied to emulated games in general; modern games have better fidelity and quality of life improvements. Even Diablo 2 is becoming aged compared to any ARPG in the last decade. Why settle for less?

Keep paying 500$ for a single game on a single system that will stop working just on normal use because the devs were too retarded to have proper hard drive support.

Saying a port of something is worthless isn't the same as saying the game itself is worthless.
Reductio ad absurdum

A port of a game is a distinctly different product.
So yes, I can

holy shit how cuckolded are you to emulation that you have to justify THIS hard?

Not anymore. You can emulate the arcade originals easily enough.

That's nice. But they were objectively shit ports compared to the originals. Would you seriously recommend someone play the original US release of Final Fantasy IV? Would you actually recommend playing the version with a garbage Engrish translation, reduced difficulty, and removed items and attacks? Of course you wouldn't.

I played mediocre ports of games on the Genesis when I was a kid. Would I recommend them or play them when I get better versions just as easily today? Fuck no. You can have your nostalgia, but Samurai fucking Shodown is not going a recommended SNES games chart.

But I don't want to play the arcade originals. I want to play the game I grew up playing.

Yeah, in the case of some arcade games getting ported to consoles, they were different in that they were shit products.

Then go fucking play it you whiny faggot. It's not going the on chart, which is really meant for people new to playing games on a particular system and need some easily objective recommendations of quality.

PS1 literally cannot render straight lines. Is that some how a feature?
Also don't hurr durr me you luddite. Your entire point is that you are too stupid to use emulators.

Its a game ported to a different system.
Nobody except you is saying the game is worthless. Why the fuck would you settle for an inferior experience of the same game

I haven't said the game was worthless at all. Did you even read my posts?

holy fuck do you know anything about these games and how they were intended to be played?

You literally applied the port logic to video games as a whole here
So you're backpedaling from that?

Have you actually emulated a game in your life?
Have you actually even run a Playstation game on the system?
Are you seriously doubling down on the fact that the PS1 has poor depth calculation and cannot even render straight lines is really the way it was intended to be played despite ports of the games on PC having proper rendering?

The genesis port of king of the monsters 2, which is the only port that I'm familiar with, lets you select all the monsters on the roster instead of just the 3 protagonists. It added a lot of moves and commands, like a dash and the ability block.
The game has actual balance instead of the shitshow that was the quarter munching original, and it isn't focused on exploiting the cpu with bullshit.
The grappling system is a lot better.
The only aspect that it lacks are the city destroying segments before the boss fights, but the actual fighting makes up for it.

its called z-buffering you stupid fuck and it's because the ps1 doesn't have the proper hardware for doing floating point calculations fast enough so it relies on integers to get the same job done which is inherently less accurate than FPP holy fuck how can someone who thinks they knows more about someone else than technology not even know this basic shit

I know you're a retard, but god damn. And you think emulators are some how hard to work with despite being baffled at faulty lasers and batteries. Nigger do you even know how to solder? I know you don't because you think cr2032's are some fucking wizardry that's an absolute show stopper when one dies.

The only one who thinks here is you.
Emulators are easier to acquire and run than the original hardware and hence the superior experience. That is the crux of my argument. You can keep babbling about how you solder shit to your obsolete hardware with shitty processing capabilities but even you know that is nothing beyond putting make up on a pig.

I know what Z buffering is you luddite. I was directly addressing the results of any proper support of it in the games because I assumed your mong brain wouldn't grasp the technical terms just like it failed to grasp even the core of this argument. The fact emulators can do proper GTE correction that isn't even possible on the original hardware makes them objectively superior. You can keep crying about how much better eating shit is but you are still eating shit in the way of a smaller rendering resolution, awful interlacing and shitty framerate on the original hardware on top of graphical glitches which you tout as a "feature"

What specific game have I said was bad?
All I did in that post was apply your retarded logic to something else.

I can tell

Well then it probably doesn't go on the SUPER NINTENDO games chart.

If the SNES game is any good, let chart user know. I'm taking a break from cleaning it up. But I'll check out Monsters on Genesis, thanks for the recommendation user

You said modern games have better graphical and technical fidelity which somehow makes Diablo 2 age poorly despite no modern port or rerelease of Diablo 2 existing.
And I said you were comparing apples to oranges.
Saying a port of a game is inferior isn't close to saying certain games are obsolete.

Oh shit son you noticed a typo. You totally trounced my argument.
After all noticing typos is the best form of argumentation, second only to making strawman MS paint comics.

you think emulation is some incredible accomplishment that requires some sort of high tier knowledge. You can't even replace a battery in a cartridge. I don't care what you say, your point that battery failure in a game cart made you out to be a total buffoon and from that point on, any of your contributions or arguments will be disregarded because you are some incredible retard who has been trying for the past half-hour to strawman me as someone who can't operate emulators which is why I don't like them.

Sorry, but that's as dumb an argument as you can make.

I literally said otherwise
Learn to read mongoloid

Maybe it is you who is a bit on the retarded side, I understand. Not everyone gets why original hardware is so important, as are CRT displays and even taking basic care of your stuff. If you want to settle with emulation that distorts the original image further and further from the intended experience by the creators, it is indeed your loss. While you keep perverting the games more and more, there will have long since passed a point where you understand the games intended experience.

kek

Playing on the real hardware is nice and all, but it's pretty great having an all-in-one machine that has basically every game ever made up to the 6th generation (excluding the original Xbox) ready and waiting for you to play.

Plus, older systems already have multiple cycle-accurate emulators in existence (NES, SNES, etc), meaning you sacrifice absolutely nothing by using them to play games, and I still own two CRT monitors and a CRT TV to complete the experience.

Lastly, emulators have this neat trick where they can fix performance issues that would plague certain games on real hardware by virtue of having a hell of a lot more CPU/GPU power to draw from. I don't care much about hacky graphics improvements, but stable frame rates are always welcome.

Emulating anything fourth gen and earlier is fine. If you think that emulation of fifth gen and beyond is at an acceptable state you're an unsalvageable moron.

PS1 emulation is great via Mednefen. No problems there.

N64 emulation is still rough, but there have been some good advances made in the last couple of years. There is a lot of potential for paraLLEl thanks to Vulkan, but in the mean time you can still play whatever you want in other emulators and just deal with the minor inaccuracies.

GameCube emulation is good, PSP emulation is very good, PS2 emulation has come along well (I can play Ace Combat games flawlessly now, where as that used to be impossible). The current version of Demul is pretty good, as long as you remember to turn on vsync.

It's not the unsalvageable mess that it was years ago.

So, how's PS3 emulation going?
I know it's still very early and almost nothing runs on it, but I like seeing the progress.

RPCS3 can boot some retail games, but frame rates are often single-digits.

reading the rpcs3 forum and i have to say, that's rly fucked up how you have to emulate ps3 games.

i hope vita emulation gets better.

What's the best emulator for N64 at the moment? I know new PJ64 is a pile of shit, so I've just been using pre-botnet PJ64

Just finished playing Chibi Robo. Works perfectly on my mid-tier machine. Really surprised me.
The game itself is very charming and fun. The story had a bit more depth than I expected it to as well. I really recommend anyone who can run dolphin to give it a try.
Otherwise, I'm submerging myself in GC and Wii games, since I can run them now.
I don't really understand the question. I suppose anything that is a ridiculous price for a real copy? I can't think of anything that is objectively better emulated vs actual hardware. Translations and other hacks, maybe?
I'm using Ishiiruka Dolphin at the moment and I'm seriously impressed. I can't get above 45-50fps with Dolphin 5.0 but with this I get fullspeed in all the games I've tried (one caveat is Punch Out!! which lags at little when you knock down a guy and the crowd starts cheering). I can't run it with full anti aliasing and such, but it works and looks pretty much as good as I remember the GC/Wii looking. Only thing I've noticed is that shadows are pixelated, but that's because I have ALL the hacks turned on.
Go to romhacking.net and look at all the translations. Tons of games I bet you've never played. Also, that Link's Awakening hack that lets you press B to skip text boxes.
Nah. Sometimes I use scanlines with PS1 games, though. Nearest neighbour every other time.
Chibi Robo and Cubivore. Weird GC games are the best.

Pretty much this. Call me a pleb or a poorfag is you want you wouldn't be wrong!, but if it runs at full speed 99% of the time and looks decent, I really don't care. I just want to play games.

You could try retroarch libretro cores.
N64 emulation is hacky so its more of a case of "which emulator actually runs this" instead of "where can I get the best experience"

Fuck off with that shit. Anything pre-5th gen (excluding PS1) is perfectly emulatable (except I guess lightgun games)

I see filters talked about all the time, but what are Holla Forums's thoughts on aspect ratio for retro consoles that didn't actually output 4:3?

Both look fine.

I could have sworn there was a PS1 emulator that let you fake a lightgun with your mouse like MAME does.

Come one mate, half the fun of a lightgun game itself is the gun. I don't doubt its a serviceable alternative but it's far from perfect

Well shit, now It's actually starting to bother me.

Fuck you.

I know about this and I take aspect ratios seriously for pixel art games, so it does bother me. What can be done about it, though? Usually I just ignore it and enjoy the game regardless.

Well just looked it up
forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Nuvee-PS1-PS2-input-plugin-supporting-lightguns-by-Shalma
You just need a PC lightgun which is an absolute bitch to find and I'm not sure it can be used on anything that isn't PCSX2.

How hard is it to run Yakuza 2, Jak 2, Mark of Kri and the first 2 Sly Cooper games? Are they as hard as Black or Burnout 3? Pcsx2 wiki has testers using relatively powerful rigs compared to my humble laptop so I have to ask.

I heard plenty of people managing that, maybe a few complained about ghosthing issues but they're likely fixable.

Forget about it

They're relatively heavy, if you're willing to make a few sacrifices resolution wise and your CPU ain't too shit they should run fullspeed.

Oh and speaking of which
AMDfags rejoice
github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/pull/1508

I regret buying AMD so much.

Thats ultimately the thing with emulation, you can make the arguement playing on the original hardware is better, but when scalpers drive the price up for what you want I'd rather get it for free until it drops down to a managable price.

This is my main argument for emulation (as well as archival purposes, but no one is interested in that, I find). I want to play games, I want other people to play games and I want devs to be paid their worth when possible. Scalpers are the antithesis of this desire.
Call me greedy or entitled if you want, but at least I'm not that guy on the 2nd hand market selling Earthbound for $300.

Most if not all improvement over the original hardware are hacky (just look at the implementation of OC for NES emulation) and prone to breakage by design (there are exceptions obviously), those who affect 3D rendering are the one seen the most negatively because they're the most common and it's easy to see when they fail

Also you often have to resort to a shittier emulator to use them at all (want that sweet SNES OC, well too bad you have to use MAME for that).

the squished look on snes games is intentional and it was supposed to look that way. In fact, it's essential for the interlaced games.

I don't know why people keep bringing up scalpers. It's inefficient to get the original cartridges when back up cartridges and other solutions are much cheaper and are indeed the exact same experience.

Explain? I'm not being a dick, I just want to know why you think that.

That depends on who you ask. I'd agree, but many anti-emu peeps I've spoken to insist that flashcarts don't count.

newer version of chart

>get super famicom for about 25 bucks + shipping rip in pizzas superbus ;_;7
buncha idorts in here, it's not like you're bound to doing things one way

But Jap games are almost always cheap as fuck. Scalpers don't really seem to be a thing over there, aside from games that actually are rare.
I guess it's because they're not plagued by hipsters and mainstream nerd culture. Also they have brick & mortar stores that don't literally throw old games into the trash.

because it's rendering the images at a resolution which displays and the systems internal analog conversion hardware literally could not support.

I am providing you an example of how games output the image in the intended fashion. Something people who's first reference was emulation would not understand and has perverted their views. Just give me time to DL the clip, webm it.

Also I've been proposing original hardware solutions to legit carts here and on several other boards and have never once seen anyone say "flash carts are not a good alterative!" for certain systems, such as the SNES with its superFX chip games, this is the case, but even then 90% of the library does without this. Considering the games are doing the exact same thing with nothing special going on when it comes to reading the game data, flash carts are the best experience. That or some other form of back up loading. I have a saturn running pseudosaturn I installed myself. The first game I played sells for $130-300 average. If you think anyone would pay for that reasonably you'd be out of your mind. We're at the point where legit games are viable for collectors exclusively in some cases, with more common systems (genesis, snes) being the exception. Even then some of those mega drive games go for $400. Nintendo collectors are kind of like the nickleback fans of classic game collecting.

Not in every cases, especially with homebrew solutions and less orthodox methods of playing backups.

Flashcart shouldn't have any noticeable difference from using the actual carts outside of that one odd game that won't run (correct me if I'm wrong but ED64 still doesn't have 100% compat and EDNES doesn't support every mapper) and SNES which uses an FPGA to emulate special chips.

another good alternative if you want legit hardware is to get games and components from Japanese people. Yahoo auctions jp is good.

ED64's case from the creators mouth:

so 99.9% of the library, what most people care about, works.

I also noticed judging by some pictures that Superbus had that the stores seem to take care of their games, I could be cherry picking but it looks a hell of a lot better than most of the games you see when you walk into a Gamestop

Explain this shit. I don't know, maybe LCD/LED has spoiled me, but I don't see the point in using those if it only deteriorates the picture quality while looking nothing like an actual CRT.

The black thick lines shit comes from trinitron TVs, especially larger ones.

Well, that explains a lot. I don't think I've ever seen a trinitron in person, so no wonder these shaders don't look right to me. The CRT's my family had were a little blurry and had minor color bleed, but no scanlines.

Oh, that makes sense. I'm interested in seeing this clip you're talking about.
Then you're lucky. I've been on a few collector forums and some of them are very insecure. The only good argument I've heard is the SuperFX chip problem, but you've already addressed that. What are you missing out on? Pilotwings and Starfox? I don't know much about flashcarts though, so maybe it's a bigger problem than I'm aware of.

That's sounds about right. There's a retro game shop near me that has okay to extortionate prices and I noticed a lot of carts and consoles were yellow. Some box-less games had ruined stickers, too. I mean, I expect old games to have a few aesthetic problems, but you can't sell SM64 for $40 without a box and a ruined label.

That explains it. I don't think those were popular in the PAL region, or at least not where I live.

japanese people have a different perspective when it comes to taking care of their belongings. The shops probably, at best, did basic clean up, there was never anyone writing tony's poop smells good (or nii-chan's poop smells sugoi) outside of very odd situations. Discs are unscratched, there isn't any controller crack dirt, and the systems are shrink wrapped, a system I use myself in my own shop.

this is how black lines work.

sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility
ED SNES has worse compatibility than that.

To be 100% fair most shaders are pretty bad at copying trinitrons, I've seen a few CRT-Royale config get it mostly right though but that shader needs 4k to really work.
CRT-hyllian 3d is surprisingly close too so that's what I use.

Well I live in a PAL country and had one (32" 4:3), shit was glorious but it sadly died recently.
I think there's also something about the lines being way more visible in one region.

PAL displays have more lines of resolution, however 90% of the time PAL regions got the worst versions of games, if they got them at all.

I can decide for myself what I think looks good, thank you very much.

You're not wrong, TOR-chan. But you have to accept that you likely have an unpopular opinion.

I don't think I've ever seen a texture pack that was actually decent, except maybe that one where the portrait in the VN portion of the game were upscaled with Waifu2x

But with the original hardware you can't have save states, and play all games, without the shitty "regional lock" (choosing the correct BIOS).

I read that the latest PJ64 after it all went open source (finally) had the spyware removed, but if you are a better safe than sorry guy then Mupen64Plus seems like the best bet until paraLLEl has more of the bugs ironed out. Standalone or within RetroArch, both are fine.

Retroarch seems to have good control over aspect ratio, and I agree that it should always be played at what it was originally intended to be displayed at, if possible. I spent the last two days messing with aspect ratio stuff for PS1 games, and in my autism-filled research I discovered that if you play a PS1 game on a PS3, it displays at the wrong aspect ratio.

Mednafen PSX has an "overclock CPU" option that fixes FPS issues in THPS2 (for example) without sacrificing anything at all. It's basically just the emulator pretending you have an overclocked PS1, nothing else changes. As far as I am aware anyway.

I've only ever used one texture pack, and that was one for Star Fox 64. At the time I remember thinking it was fantastic because of how faithful to the original it was. I'll have to see if I can find it again.

PJ64 has been open source for a while. Compile directly from source if you're scared of installers with malware. Or ask your fellow IT/Linuxfag to do it for you.

Well that particular option is one of the best ones, only real default it has is it drives up the requirements in some game significantly and it has a generally limited effect (still an appreciable boost)
And it actually doesn't emulate an overclocked console, in that particular case it omits timing penalties on some instructions.

only casuals use save states. get good.
neither can emulator fags? I can play more games and play them correctly.
?? region locking is one of the first things subverted with every console.

Noisy as fuck. Needs smoothing and some AF.

If 8:7 was 'intentional', the SNES would be 8:7. The devs knew the image was 4:3 and made the ball an oval anyways. Most other devs weren't retarded.

Considering that in metroid case the SNES game is the only version that has an oval instead of a circle for the morphball I'd say they just didn't account for it, wouldn't surprise me if they only ever tested it on professional monitors that somehow weren't 4:3.

Hmm, interesting. Got any more information about this that I can read up on?

Well there isn't much more info than that, if you really want you can try to contact simias, he's a pretty cool guy, he was (is?) the owner of >>>/psx/ maybe he still takes a look occasionally.

If they had special monitors for it, then they knew it would look different.

Then they just didn't account for it for some reason, which is strange when 3rd party actually did.

Nintendo was well aware of it, after all their JP-21 TV standard at the time had the same restrictions of a standardized 4:3 display. Something tells me Nintendo just wanted a higher rendering resolution regardless of what it might do to the image.

Yeah but if Nintendo was aware of it why didn't they account for it like say Chrono Trigger, none of their first party game did afaik and it's not like it's exactly hard to account for.

considering how even the VC implementations of the games run them in 4:3, they may have intended the stretched look.

except the VC ports allow for pixel perfect output which is 8:7 last I heard

It doesn't display in 4:3?

Confirmed legit, list has Rival Schools in it.

the vc ports run in 4:3, you heard wrong.

Doesn't look 4:3 to me user

It seems like it doesn't crop enough overscan on the left and right sides, making it slightly more vertically squished than it should be.

Here's a screencap of my Spyro 2 disc playing on my PS3. If I crop the 16:9 screencap to 4:3, you can see that there is still some black bars on the left and right remaining. In Mednafen PSX, the overscan cropping doesn't leave any black bars on the left or right anymore. It seems to get it right.

And for the record, that Mednafen PSX screenshot is running from a BIN/CUE file that I ripped from my own disc.

I've started toying with the shader options in RetroArch and it's been a lot of fun. I imagine this isn't very impressive compared to other shit in this thread but here's what I've got going on.

But does it pass the waterfall test?

orcastraw.com/snes

VC SNES on 3DS offers 8:7 option.

lacks bloom and screen geometry.

Before you ask, read these:
libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340
filthypants.blogspot.com/2013/06/dedithering-pixel-shaders.html

All in the pursuit of perfection.

I messed around with those for a bit but I turned them off because I was worried it would cause slowdown on later systems.

how long has it been since you played a classic system on a crt?

I'm very sad to say that it hasn't been for a very long time.

>orcastraw.com/snes
Yeah that's pretty much what I thought, there's enough evidence to be led to think that nintendo made a mistake (wouldn't be the first time either, looking at you GB player) but in the end it's really up to what you like

you may want to give it a chance with something like a PS1, Saturn, Genesis or NES so you can understand how CRTs looked and why they're so important for classic games. CRT's have numerous qualities that your pictures aren't replicating. This is my own CRT (a low end 13" CRT from 2003) running Saturn through composite, planning to upgrade to BNC RGB and a Sony PVM in time. The qualities that make the CRT image stand out are still extremely evident.

You have a point here, that's what's giving me a hard time; not having a reference anymore.

Thank you for showing me yours, though.

yep, I strongly suggest using a system with good, sharp, clean visuals to get a feel for what a CRT looks like. Sega consoles historically had the best RGB output of any system, but composite on genesis and older is pretty weak. Nintendo systems had very weak images and very inconsistent ones, but PS1 looks good. You don't need to go full RGB, but it helps when really picking out the best image possible.

TOP KEK

I get the impression most texture mods are done just looking at the raw files without any consideration for what they'll end up like once they're all put together and rendered.

That's the joke

I know that. It's just I never realized WHY they were so shitty until now.

This is real funny.

FUCKING
THIS

tfw border line toaster
how good of a CPU do i need for ps2/gcn emularion? Only gcn game I can get at full speed is Crazy Taxi. Everything else is good 10 fps off.

PS2 emulation is notorious for having very high CPU requirements, especially for AMDbros.

Gamecube emulation is more manageable, but with each new push for accuracy also comes a push for more CPU horsepower.

Got one of these for N64?

am a-anons? Is the user with the n64 comparison image dead? I miss it somehow.

only this one.

Are you saying I need to rob a convenience store to afford a CPU that can emulate Silent Hill 2 at full speed?

Don't even think about SH3.

Are you saying have to step it up to Banks?

>to afford a CPU
Didndoo detected.

anything that involves any sort of particle or rain effect will slaughter anything that tries to emulate it. We're talking the processing power of whatever AI they have cooked up at the NSA to filter internet traffic. Not even a mid-level graphics card will save you. I could barely handle Path of Neo with speedhacks.

Oh god, that compression is awful.

Let me put it this way. I have an i7-2600k that I overclock and it blasts through any emulator I throw at it. Even Ace Combat games run perfectly. Aim for that, or maybe a bit lower?

At that point why not just pirate SH2 and 3's PC ports? You can argue they make too much time to set up, but it's like emulating GTA or Manhunt on a PS2 emulator, you're jumping through more hoops than you really need to.

I only got i5 so you should be good I think.

PC ports are fucky and are missing some effects last I checked. They work as well as any other konami PC port I guess.

what single board computer or device does Holla Forums advise i use for small form factor emulation. I want to play N64 games but the raspberry pi doesnt cut it.

If you want to have a dedicated device for that shit, don't even bother. It's gonna end up collecting dust. Most of em are trash pieces of hardware made by sjews anyway. Get a generic cheap craptop so you can play whatever the fuck you want, wherever you want and not have to lug around extra hardware for it.

I sell kodi boxes that stream movies and shit on the raspberry pi

my idea has been lately to make it into the emulation market and sell emulation stations fully loaded with games.. I know its difficult because there is a lot of troubleshooting that comes with a device like this but, that is my idea anyway

How are these third party USB controllers based on old consoles?

the snes works fine obviously. ive only worked on it in retropie but there are ways to configure the controllers in retropie i have experimented with. the xbox one works fine and the wireless playstation one seems a little off. but i have more experimentation to do

How bout that, funny you say that. I'm actually running your type out of business by doing that shit for friends/family for free and warning them that it's a scam. Good idea though, just limit the games to 2D, since normalfags still don't realize that post-snes emulation is really possible. If not, they probably won't care about a bit of lag.

btw where do you sell em? One would think that's a bit of a niche market that people don't know about yet, seeing as how if they know of the pi, they can set shit up themselves.

ive only actually sold a couple of them on craigslist. ive made

I like the raspberry pi and have a bunch of them around. I wish they were faster for emulation. I have got calls from people wanting to just play n64 and psx

Can someone explain Libretro? Looking at their site, its just an API. How do I go about getting it working? Is this some linuxfag shit?

Hmm. I'm not that pilled on hardware but would it be impossible to hook up some sort of secondary CPU? I don't know how the pi already can't run a PSX emulator, last I checked it's got extremely low requirements. Maybe set the emulator up in a way that it emulates poorly so it's less of a load on the system?

The cancer is strong with this one.

what did you use to make your kodi boxes?

afaik the way it works is a lot of it has to do with screen resolution when it comes to performance but have yet to master it.

thanks i have cancer and am set to die in 6 days

It has it's uses. I can see someone wanting something separate from their PC to hook up to their tv to play shit on with no distractions. The main issue with them is that they have the same functions as a PC, which means you can do anything on the PC that you can do with the pi.

Yeah. Like expanding the volume of a landfill.

I don't build them, per se. I've built one in the past and current just "jailbreak" shit like the amazon firestick or whatever for them because they're faggots who want the newest shit that jewlywood puts out.

I've already said before that it's a shit piece of hardware but it's good to scam normalfags with and it's good to have something separate from the PC to play vidya with, in case someone is too poorfag to buy a bunch of old consoles and expensive games to play the shit they want. Besides, I'm sure you buy shit that jews have made. Buying shit that isn't made by sjews is like being vegetarian, you soon realize that you have almost no option than to pay the good jew his money.

OK, friend, whatever you say.
It's sad that there are people even dumber than you willing to buy the shit you produce. You probably can't even be bothered to organize things and provide a good looking frontend.

either way it is a hard sell because emulation seems to be a bit of a hobby to get working

while kodi boxes.. people realize there is a bit of work to get their jew movies going

There are plenty of alternatives to the Raspberry Pi.

Giving reasons as to why someone would purchase them while understanding that they're still shit is…a bad thing? Alright. You still haven't denied what I've said about you though. Glass houses and whatnot.
Except I have yet to even sell these things, I do it for free because I like fucking around with computers while also doing things for my friends and family. Again, I've only bought one pi, and that was for myself years ago to see what it could do. Nothing I do costs me any money, and the hardware they buy is usually an amazon firestick, of their own will. I don't even know how I'm retarded since all I do is jailbreak and provide tech support. If push came to shove, I'd have people weigh the options and provide them with smarter routes when it comes to buying something like this.
What do you even mean by this? Kodi does all the work for me, and the normalfags know how to operate it. What exactly is the issue here, again?

You seem to be butthurt about the fact that becoming a jew is almost a necessity considering our economy. People want a product that pretty much only means buying some piece of shit sweatshop hardware and jailbreaking it and I'll be damned if some other tard will exploit that industry first. If someone is gonna get jewed, people like us may as well be the ones to do it because most of the time its some indian faggot who sells shit on ebay and bothers giving no tech support or customer service once the payment goes through. Not everyone can be a Linus, but we can at least set a standard here in this autistic budding industry for jailbroken garbage.

I was referring to the grand scheme of things. The clothes you wear are made by the jew, the parts of the computer you built have been made by the jew, most operating systems are developed by the jew, etc. Unless you're some sort of madman that goes out of his way to make sure nothing he has is made by the jew, its pretty much pointless to argue about how we use a certain product made by the jew. If it works, then fuck it. It's not like Ubisoft is making these things.

It actually takes work to set up? Feels like once you've made one copy you can just keep applying that copy to every pi you buy.

I dont quite have it working up to the standard i would want. only a couple games on n64.

Banana Pi
banana-pi.org/product.html
Hummingboard
solid-run.com/freescale-imx6-family/hummingboard/
UDOO
shop.udoo.org/usa/quad-dual.html
Beagleboard
beagleboard.org/boards
NanoPi
nanopi.org/index2.html
NanoPC
nanopc.org/NanoPC-T2_Feature.html

No idea how well any of them could manage 5th gen emulation though.

Any news on cemu? Is that shit able to play shit soon? And what's up with the lack of emulators anyway? Why is dolphin the only wii emulator?

diddy king racing? What in the fuck? I am a dk fan and even I hated that game. F-Zero X on the other hand is fine.

I mean once you've finally worked your way around it. Wait a minute, why would you care about resolution? Lower that bitch down because the normalfags don't care. Run it at the original resolution because that's the way it's supposed to be. And if they want the extra bells and whistles, offer to build them a cheap mini pc or something because the current hardware isn't powerful enough for full grafix.

But most of the time they wont notice. Put yourself in their shoes, most of em just want to play the damn game regardless.

Apparently it can emulate Super Mario Maker really well.

Get a load of this faggot. I bet you didn't even have any friends to play it with.

Hateing*

But user, it's meant to be played in bullet time.

I'll be honest with you, pun spic, the low emulation speed helps a fuckton at some moments and may as well be a cheat code when it comes to slowmo

I actually did, I played it on the original n64 and was never a big fan of it. Characters were weird, if it was today I would say that it was made by a furry/brony and this comes from a guy whoes favorite animals are monkeys.

I would much rather play something like mario party.

Well it wasn't made in the current year user, it's 19 years old, and it was a better time.

currently im looking into odroid. from what ive read its not about the cpu cores as much as clock speed and the gpu is only important for displaying on the screen.

I want to be able to sell to normalfags so i guess messing with the resolution is the way to go if it really does increase performance

sorry i cant link posts cus my comp is being a shit

I'd much rather have mario kart characters like Wario and shit like that.

I hate furfags too, but they have nothing to do with the game and it doesn't mean DKR isn't a great game and highly recommended for people interested in knowing N64 recommendations.

Fuck man, I've wanted a pet Capuchin Monkey for the longest time. But I'm poor

To be honest, I am also not fan of that sonic racing game, and you guys recommended that one too. The one for pc.

What they don't know, can't hurt them. Just be a good dude and give em the best product you can make with some good service. If they ask for more, just remind them that it costs more money. You're giving them the "best" that can be made, the only thing you should lose sleep over is how much of an easy thing it is to do and how you're putting a price tag on it now, which technically is how IT-type shit works anyway. You're charging them for not learning how to figure it out themselves.

I guess you just don't like Raccan then
Sure I don't like that but we all have different tastes

right now im not even sure if lowering the resolution will fix the problems. some games just freeze for no reason

Id rather just get better hardware like the odroid xu4 and work on selling that thing

Wild guess but I think a game freezing would be memory issues or something. Who knows. Being a good troubleshooter is a major key here.

Of course you should always try getting better hardware if its necessary, just explain the price tag to people when they ask why it's more and that you're not ripping them off. If you have the extra cash, buy different types and see which one works best and sell the rest if you don't need to use them to test anymore.

alright thanks for the advise bro.

im hoping my kodi boxes start selling

Don't put all your eggs in that basket, though. It's good to generate some side cash. Good luck.

how are you dealing with controller setup for people with something that's not in the meager database of es?
it's easy enough to do manually, but it seems like you'd want a script to do it if you're selling them.

Is there a reason why this image doesn't also mention Mario Party 3?

Ok i need some help here. I downloaded the GoodNES Full set from emuparadise but it has just too many versions of each game and compressed in 7z, i dont want every single dump and beta of each game. I just want every game on english and japanese and fan translated whenever possible. Is there anything like that out there?!

You'll just have to sift through and delete stuff you don't want probably. Otherwise look for torrents matching your requirements.

Sadly none of them are as good or as well documented as Raspberry is. I was thinking about getting one of those alternative boards for a "portable" emulation center, but all of them some kind of issue that would make it a pain in the ass (e.g. shit processors, lack of specific pins or output, buggy software etc.). Shit sux mang.

(U) - usa
(G) - germany
(J) - japan
(!) - best rom
(T) - translation (ger/eng/spa/fr)
(H) - hacked rom

there are a few letters more but they are basicly just bad rips o rsomething like this, just look for the (!) and/or your region

What is best rom suppose to even mean? I have never seen anything with (!).

Means is the best known dump.
Few reasons to use Goodsets in this day and age though since no-intro exists and is just as easily available.

It's some an old thing that's supposed to signify a good rip. I don't think anybody really uses those anymore.

the first one is shit

the rest is one of my favourite game series

I was trying the new Retroarch N64 core, but they need to get their shit together with Vulcan first.

Besides that, I'm working on getting 100% completion on Donkey Kong Country for GBC because I fucking hate myself, Beyond Oasis it's kinda overrated, but still good.

I just finished Zelda: Minish Cap fuck that game and it's 100% completion. It's so easy to fuck yourself over because you didn't get all Kingstone fusions or not saving a soldier that I simply gave the fuck up and just finished the game and Banjo Tooie way too bloated with minigames and FPS sections, cynical as fuck, I kinda hated. Didn't helped that Mupen64+ runs it like shit.

Yeah, I'm not having a lot of fun with my emulated games

I only know a little bit of python but maybe i could find something that does it.

When you launch retropie with a new controller plugged in it takes you through some configuration but it doesnt work for every game. TBH im not sure how i would go about it

Kek

paraLLEl only works with a handful of games, and most of those still suffer frame rate issues when too much is happening on screen.

Who the fuck /rec/'d Ninja Gaiden Trilogy? That thing is absolute dog shit. Just play the NES versions.

Vigilante 8, but no Second Offense?

Your pc is shit.

At least his PC actually runs it

Pixely Samus looks best

What emulators are these for?

Just get a fucking CRT or something else jeez. I use my fucking tube tv and a chipmodded 360 running retroarch to emulate SEGA CD and it looks great.

how is emulator support on the 360? Can it do PS1/N64 alright/as good as PC?

The homebrew scene has been kinda slow for a while but there is an unofficial fork of PCSXR or whatever it's called that works quite nicely, mupen64 has been abandoned but runs some shit. nullDC runs some stuff like Power Stone and JSR smoothly, and everything older works perfectly in retroarch.
Check this out translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.elotrolado.net/wiki/Emuladores_para_Xbox_360&usg=ALkJrhjWfGD8LyZqx9HACYai7PZ4tuuJHg

I can imagine it being slower, there's a lot more in the way of getting into the 360 modding scene, unlike comparatively the original xbox which has a plethora of well supported emulators and homebrew for it.

so about +20 frames lost.

paraLLEL use the vulkan driver.
vulkan driver is at the moment not very good, still loosing many frames.

You mean API.
Maybe it's their understanding/implementation of that is not very good.
I've seen many games get a nice boost with the Vulkan API.

Frames lost compared to what?

No he's right you need the Vulkan backend driver in retroarch to use it.

Do you know how to read? My pc can run Vulcan fine

If you're using any of the following you can't run Vulkan fine

I can run fine, I've ran Doom

There's a difference between running vulkan and running it fine user.

there's a difference between running vulkan and not running vulkan at all. and I don't mean only the N64 emulator, I mean Retroarch doesn't work with the vulcan renderer

Then you're just bad or use hardware / drivers that don't have proper vulkan support.

my pc does have support for vulkan, as I've already established

Anyone bother to recommend a nice comfy JRPG? Really liked Grandia 2.

I believe I already said I can run Doom fine

Which tells us nothing outside of you being able to run
DOOM

Retroarch has specific requirement for vulkan as they stated on their news post about it, DOOM might be able to run with hardware / drivers that has bad support for vulkan and in the present case that's irrelevant since RA and ParaLLEl need hardware / drivers with good support.

Also, add Magical Pop'n.

Did you switch the renderer to Vulkan before starting paraLLEl?

And maybe Jutei Senki.

how do you guys think emulation will work on a smart tv

Well, it seems they actually fixed their shit, but the solution is still in the nighties builds. I really dislike using emulators not considered stable for the developers due to being afraid of losing saves.

The good part, the emulator really is more accurate, although slower and glitchy, as one should expect from an alpha build. . I just checked some games.
Everything I tried from Rare runs like shit, something I already expected. It either runs like the screenshot of Banjo Tooie right here or I get a black screen.
Superman 64, Doom, Super Smash Bros and Fighters History run fine.

I also tested all Mortal Kombat games on N64.
Mythologies has a lot of disappearing sprites, Trilogy runs fine and 4 has the same problem Banjo Tooie in the menus. When the fight starts, things are still distorted, but its playable.

Of course, this were very superficial tests with a unstable emulator, so take that with a grain of salt

Oh yes, this fucking emulator crashes a lot (most times) I try to open a new rom. it runs fine after I reopen retroarch and search for the ROM again

Is that supposed to be double wide-screen?

your comment is….. surprisingly accurate

why the FUCK hasn't anyone told me about this before

seriously niggers I've been waiting over a decade for this

Why bother with the inferior experience of original hardware?
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Texture_Packs#Sprite_Replacement_.282D.29

Because it's a new featured backported from Rustation by simias, can go thank him on his board >>>/psx/

because its pretty useless if the game does not have an internal frame limit.
Whats that second game?

Actually the OC in PCSXR and the one Simias made have nothing in common, one is a dumb bump in frequency (which causes breakage often), the other is a slightly more elaborate solution that has less impact overall but doesn't break anything.

Most game on PS1 have a frame limiter, some game even render separate element with a separate framerate (FF7 renders the battle menus at 60fps but the battle themselves are 15fps)

The ones which do don't suffer from crippling slowdown
Kings Field has no frame limiter.

Pretty sure it's limited to 59.97 regardless, only thing is that the game will run faster depending on the framerate.

The Divide, a mediocre Metroid clone. It's near unplayable without the overclock. (together with a lot of other games)

I could tell that Divide would run at 60 because it has a fully variable frame rate, and already reaches 60 in smaller rooms.
Red Sun, surprisingly, also has no limit.

Silent Hill is weird, it has unlocked framerate at all times except when the actual game is running. When you examine something, pick an item up, or a cutscene is playing, it's smooth. Otherwise it's locked. However, a small memory edit can change that.

Other games I tried either ran too fast, or were more or less unaffected. In the latter case, there's a decent chance that a patch can unlock it just like with Silent Hill. The chance is even higher if there's any screen in the game with already unlocked framerate. (all three up there had 60FPS menus)

And even if you can't force a game to go over its limit, overclocking can eliminate existing slowdown at least. For instance, it completely fixes King's Field II, bringing it up to a stable 30.

It does. Both 1 and 2 go no faster than 30 even at 4x clock speed, except in cutscenes.
The reason you think KF2 has no limit is because the original has crippling slowdown and almost never runs at full speed.

webm for proof

Speaking of games with crippling slowdown how does DOOM behave with the PCSXR OC?