I pretty much missed every single early PC game...

I pretty much missed every single early PC game, and when I did play a few games it was always my parents starting them from me so I'm a complete retard as to how this stuff works.

Is there any way to make shortcuts with Dosbox so that I can just click on the shortcut and automatically start the game I want to play? It's just such a hassle having to go through dosbox every single time

Also any games to suggest that aren't point and click or a crpg?

Other urls found in this thread:

myabandonware.com/
dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts
myabandonware.com/game/hexen-beyond-heretic-2bd
emuparadise.mobi/Abandonware_Games/Rise_Of_The_Triad_(1994)(Apogee)/94678-download
myabandonware.com/game/blood-44w
archive.org/details/msdos_Super_Solvers_Midnight_Rescue_1989
archive.org/details/msdos_Super_Solvers_Challenge_of_the_Ancient_Empires_1990
archive.org/details/msdos_Super_Solvers_Treasure_Cove_1994
members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You could. I just drag the game executable onto Dosbox.

Unfortunately I don't have the quite solid dos game chart, maybe someone else will.
Any genre preferences at all? There's an awful lot of games to choose from.

Not really?
I just don't like turn based RPGs and I played all the Point and Clicks I can stomach.

I'll wait for the chart if anyone has it

myabandonware.com/

dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxShortcuts

Use a frontend like D-Fend Reloaded or DBGL, each will let you automatically create a shortcut .

Excellent. Saved it this time.
Off the top of my head, if you want to avoid turn based games and point and click, some good choices from this list are

myabandonware.com/game/hexen-beyond-heretic-2bd
emuparadise.mobi/Abandonware_Games/Rise_Of_The_Triad_(1994)(Apogee)/94678-download
myabandonware.com/game/blood-44w

rise of triad is shit

You can create .bat files that do everything on their own

Blood and Hexen are good tho

Thanks for the suggestions, will check them out.
You guys got any suggestions for the dosbox config?

I get this weird stutter every time I start moving the mouse in elite 3

You'd better have played the Quest for Glory series, nigger, or else you're missing out on one of the best franchises to ever grace the PC.

Except for QFG V. That game was pretty shit.

I haven't no, I really have had enough

nigga how hard is it to

you can also use dir to see whats in the folder if you don't feel like exiting dosbox and looking for the executable.

the games i suggest is the jazz jackrabbit series, the second one is on windows so don't worry.

It's annoying, very annoying actually

those who aren't use to the terminal base layout might find it annoying but once you get use to it you'll find that it is better than gui's, you will feel a greater sense of control and actually knowing what the machine is doing without all the absorptions used by todays gui's.

Have some oldschool edutainment games:
archive.org/details/msdos_Super_Solvers_Midnight_Rescue_1989
archive.org/details/msdos_Super_Solvers_Challenge_of_the_Ancient_Empires_1990
archive.org/details/msdos_Super_Solvers_Treasure_Cove_1994

Your loss.
Keep them in mind if you ever change your mind.

also don't forget to play some moonstone that shits cash.

You can't possibly believe this, come on

Just smile and nod, user. Just smile and nod.

:^)

Yes there is, OP. It's called DBGL, DosBox Game Launcher. You can save the installation and configuration profile of one game and replay them with only a double click. It's pretty easy to use.

members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

There are several frontends you could use.

GUIs were a mistake. I'm surprised Alan Kay didn't disembowel himself when he saw what he unleashed on the world.

firstly, you must know that dosbox is horrible. Awful sound emulation, god awful input lag, and even after tweaking it specifically for each game (read: changing memory & clock cycles lmao) you'll still be getting a pretty shitty results. It's inaccurate, it's slow, and it has not improved very much at all. You are far, far, far better running the games on 9x/dos hardware.

Shut up gramps.

get fucked nigger.

That doesn't make terminals any more practical. Even if you know your way around a terminal like a pro, a GUI will always be better.

You have to be reatded to believe the opposite

Old computers eat a lot of power and run like shit. I want to play dos games on my laptop.

It's unpractical you know.

then get an ibm t42 and install win98ubcd on it because that's the best dos system possible.

how is a gui better user :^)

were on a chinese cartoon imageboard user.

i'm more l33t than you.

explain ?

Is it old enough?

Do I need to explain why typing the same lines of shit code everytime just to play video games is unpractical.

I'm guessing a computer like that is going to be found at sites like ebay right?

terminal is unpractical.

it's an ibm thinkpad t42, it's got a great gpu, it's got at least 512MB of ram, a pentium 4, and can run dos games superbly, natively.

I used to have a desktop computer with the exact same spec, and it ran duke 3D and wolf 3D without music, and most obscure dos games like the ones by bethesda don't even run. They need ancient graphics and sounds card.

or you need to learn to configure your system properly.

Believe me, I have.