PS2

Anyone remember good RPGs and/or Fighting Games for the PS2?

Other urls found in this thread:

at2.metalbat.com
a0t.co
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That'd be quite a list.
Radiata Stories comes to mind.

Please, give me everything you've got.

I really enjoyed the Wild Arms games on it (WA4 not as much as the others; admittedly it's a weaker entry but I honestly can't hate it) and have been recently playing through the Shadow Hearts series and really like that too. Shame both franchises are pretty much dead now, closing in on a decade or so. Tales of the Abyss was also one I really enjoyed a lot, but admittedly is not for everyone, and even series fans are heavily divided on it.

I can dig out an old general PS2 JRPG list I've had saved as an rtf if you're looking for general things to look into rather than more personal ones if you want.

Silly user, you can't play games on a Dreamcast stand.

I honestly dont get this joke.

I'll take any and all reccomendations you can give.

Will do. You want just standard JRPGs, or are Strategy/Tactical ones fine as well?

Both.

How are the Monster Rancher games on PS2? I only played up to 2 for some reason.
Anyway, a couple games I vaguely remember, so I can't vouch for their quality too hard.
Shadow Hearts.
Okage: Shadow King.
Ephemeral Fantasia.
Of course the various Disgaea-related games, La Pucelle, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, etc.
Those Baldur's Gate games were pretty fun to play with someone on the couch.

Nothing else that absolutely everyone hasn't played by now comes to mind at the moment.

Let's assume I've not previously owned a PS2.

How the fuck does this happen.

Does it matter? I can make up a tragic backstory if it matters to you.

Here's stuff I've generally heard good stuff about over the years from fellow anons. Some of them have additional notes.
That's not to say that's everything worth playing JRPGwise though, and I can't vouch that every single one will be enjoyable to you (some of these are still in my own backlog). Also, I do hope you're planning to just download stuff that's of interest. While some of these are still on the cheap end (DQVIII, FFX, Rogue Galaxy, Star Ocean: TTEOT, Wild Arms 3), some of the others, like both .hack subseries, Mana Khemia 2, Shadow Hearts, Wild Arms ACF, and Xenosaga Episode III, can all be $40+ (ranging clear past $200 for the original .hack tetralogy). Might be best to "try it before you buy it" at the very least (if you even plan to do so) and can perhaps get luck in finding some of the more expensive ones cheaply (it's happened to me more than a few times.

If you plan to keep an eye on fan translations, the site for the AT2 retranslation is at at2.metalbat.com , and Absolute Zero has adopted Tales of Destiny DC (a Director's Cut of the PS2 remake of Tales of Destiny) as a project; their site is a0t.co

Also, as mentioned, there's a few Western RPGs on the system as well.

I can vouch for Shadow Hearts being really enjoyable.

Was Ephemeral Fantasia all that good? I never hear it get brought up that much. Also, I think I've heard that the western release of La Pucelle got censored. Not sure if the PSP version's (La Pucelle: Ragnarok) fan translation remedies that issue; I haven't heard of many anons that have given it a go.

Not him (obviously), but I got my first PS2 maybe 4-5 years back now. Wasn't allowed much in the way of vidya growing up and wound up with a Gamecube during sixth gen (which wasn't bad at all, aside from not being allowed much for it anyhow and prices these days on a lot of the library seeing rather heavy markups). Been slowly building up a personal library for the PS2 over the last few years and working at what I missed out on. In a way I'm glad I'm able to play so much worthwhile stuff for the first time, especially since 8th gen still isn't quite there yet.

Urban Reign is pretty neat

That's a damn good list. Thanks a million.

I don't rightly recall. I only played it a couple hours before I let a local nigger borrow it. You can guess what happened after that.
I do recall it being interesting, at least. If you're not paying the physical game, might as well give it a shot.

Meh.

You're welcome.

That AT2 patch is available to people on the forum the translators have it linked to, but as far as I know you have to be a registered member to download it. I've seen prepatched ones in the share threads here every so often though (which is nice if you're on a toaster that's not friendly with patching stuff more recent than the SNES).

Also, if you've never played any Wild Arms before, I might as well drop these here. Been working on making some for the Shadow Hearts series too, but can't quite get to a point where I'm satisfied with the infographics just yet.

Well I suppose the good news then is that, from what I've seen locally, Ephemeral Fantasia is pretty damn cheap if for whatever reason you want a copy again, though a lot of the early PS2 JRPGs they brought over (Evergrace and Eternal Ring as well) seem to be pretty cheap anyhow. Think Shadow Hearts 1 is probably the more expensive of the early ones, simply because its western release timing fucked it over hard (FFX released here within mere days of it; one guess as to which game most people were saving their money for).

For some reason, I suddenly remembered Gekido for PSX. Beat 'em up, not fightan, but still. Good fun.
CHECK IT OUT NOW

Eh, I'm a poorfag. I doubt I'll ever have a physical collection.
I will, however, get La Pucelle for my PSP emulator. Wasn't aware it existed. Just got into PSP games recently. I regret buying a faggot 3DS so much now.

I want to say that you should be able to find a prepatched La Pucelle: Ragnarok at Nicoblog, but I could be remembering wrong. And again, I'm not sure if the people that made the patch did so with the intention of ground up retranslation (hence giving any new content a translation for the first time and resolving the censorship issue) or if it's more or less a script rip.

And I'm pretty low on spending money myself, but have still managed to slowly put together a decent PS2 physical library, though it's certainly not like I have anything and everything. At least there's still a reasonably good chance where I live to find even the more expensive PS2 games cheaply from time to time, though there's a few of them like .hack Quarantine and Rule of Rose that I think might be too well known as scalper bait to ever see real low now, and some other games like Steambot Chronicles and Blood Will Tell that I rarely, if ever (I've never seen a single copy of Blood Will Tell here) see at local stores, even the ones with better selection than most.

take a look at the share thread, somewhere is a MEGA link with all psp games

passwort: hatechan

That just threw doubt onto every single other game on that list.

I've still been working on revising that (the original one was here ). Been considering culling a few that I've seen people mention before as not being that good (I know some anons are pretty vehemently against The 3rd Birthday being there), in addition to adding what's been missing since whoever had last worked on it. It hasn't been the quickest thing to do since I need people to provide descriptions for new entries (I didn't want to just cull all of the existing ones), and that's more effort for people than simply listing off names.

Good looking out. I'll go scope it.
Although I could give a shit less about some kind of censorship if it doesn't effect gameplay in any way. I generally don't pay much attention to the story in those games anymore.
I just have a nightmarish addiction to making bars fill up and numbers increase.

Nice. Thanks, anons. Maybe now I can pick out more than 8 I wanna play.

Be cearfull or you end up with 40 in your backlog

image:launchbox

PS2 had some great fighting games, although the times were weird. Everything Capcom was bad except for CvS2, MK was going through the clusterfuck that was Deadly Alliance and its sequels, SNK experimented for a while then went back to arcade ports and compilations. The only big name that was consistenly good at the time were Namco and Sega.
Anyway, in the case of fighting games:

If you're into some more obscure/weeb stuff:

3 is shit, 4 is da bess mechanically, but not quite as cute as the ps1 games.

How so?

bump
u
m
p

It's the "streamlined for casuals" Monster Rancher.
Less attack techniques, no monster combining (so no hybrids), and other stuff I forget.

mahvel
vf4 evolution
cvs2
kof xi

Know where I could get English Corpse Party ISOs? Emuparadise only has Jap version.

that's some good taste

Any images like this for PlayStations 3 and 4?

Wild Arms 4 and 5

DBZ Budokai series
Tekken 4 and 5
Soul Calibur 2 and 3

These are the ones i played a lot.

Hokuto no Ken is a great game.