Holla Forums Fortress

Alright, this is an experiment I'm going to try.

In this thread, we will collectively attempt to run a game of Dwarf Fortress.

If you're not familiar: Dwarf Fortress is a notoriously hard-to-learn ascii strategy sandbox game where you struggle to manage a colony of dwarves. It features Goblin Sieges that will swarm you in numbers, Werebeasts that'll infect your dwarves and twist them into monsters, Megabeasts that will ravage your militaries in an instant, and vampires that disguise themselves as unassuming migrants. Most endeavors end in glorious disaster.

As the host, I am not allowed to make any major decisions for the fort myself, and instead must take decisions from Holla Forums. I will do all the boring parts, then post updates to the thread in the form of screenshots and detailed descriptions of the carnage, and Holla Forums will decide what happens. Any decisions made in this fort are in Holla Forums's hands. It's up to you to put forward ideas and Make the Mountainhomes Great Again. This fort has the potential for great things, but it could also be critically mismanaged. We could bring glory to this place, or burn the fucker to the ground.

The fate of dwarvenkind rests in your hands, Holla Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/lsp17i
poal.me/37xswj
blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/
bay12games.com/dwarves/
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0
pastebin.com/raw/VCp0z9RH
poal.me/h65kp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The first order of business is naming the fortress. Dwarf Fort has a really strange name editor, and you can't type in words directly. Instead, you have to pick from an expansive and colorful dictionary and splice the terms together.

Give an idea for the fort name and I will try to approximate it, if not directly recreate it.

ok

Wolfwoods

Rapemountain

Anyone got any other ideas? Otherwise it'll be

Rapemountain sounds better. Rapemountainolf

(checked)
This is as close as I could get it, but I added some, too.
"Grapemountain the Unwelcome Touch of Balls"

Wolf rape mountain it's a furry fortress now

Where are you from son?

Make 20 miles of tunnels then dig into the nearest body of water

Alright, '[G]Rapemountain the Unwelcome Touch of Balls' it is.

Now we gotta name the starting 7 Dorfs.
You can name as many as you want, but only one name per post. To name a dorf just post:

followed by

We have 6 females and 1 lucky male. Get naming!

How did that happen?

Anyway,

[F]Hillary Clitoris

Johnny Bravo
Male

Marge Simpson [F]

I posted with the wrong flag.

3 Females to go.

Only 2 more names to go and we're ready to die horribly start the fort!

You're not going to take suggestions for starting supplies?

Sigun Razuzol [F]

Female dwarf Anthony Burch is a lot more successful than the real one. Isn't it sad?

Figured that was too meticulous/boring for Holla Forums's concern. But if you have any suggestions, go for it.

if you plan on keeping this whole basket shit together, i'd recommend that you get a tripcode for curating

just wanted to drop the meme, I'm sure you're right

John Carmack

Shit, you're right. I fucking hate tripfags, though. I guess if it's just for these threads it's OK.

You sure you wanna name a female dorf John Carmack?

Doom Paul

here's the secret formula 4u: Don't use a name, and remain as 'Anonymous' + Tripcode

I never played this game but I guess i'll join the fun

testing tripcode, I have no clue how this shit works

Doom Pauline. It's a girl.

Alright, cool, it works.

I'm just gonna leave the last one as unnamed, since no one's biting. The offer still stands, if anyone wants to name her, go right ahead.

We have embarked!

The environment is pretty standard. A flat grassy area, with the occasional tree here or there. To our left is a river. To our right is a small hill.

To begin, we will make a simple decision: For the entrance to our fort, we could dig into the side of the hill, or just dig straight down. Digging straight down is simpler, but digging into the side of a hill could let us have a long entry tunnel, which could be way more secure. What's the verdict?

long entry tunnel

side of hill

Dig into the side of the hill so you have all that grazing land for livestock.

Tunnel into hill. 3 tiles wide that opens into a 7x7 room for trade depot.

Fuck that, have a walled it depot outside designed to be shut with floodgates or a bridge to drive the elves insane.

Got it.

While they're digging out the tunnel, I've been working out the military stuff. Ann Birch is the only member of her squad right now. When we get new migrants, we'll put some more in there. We have to name the squad, though, and this one can be called anything we want.

What's Rapemountain's military squad called?

"The Bearded Grognards"

The gang grapers?

"The rapemountain regulars"

'Gang Grapists' has a better ring. Should I do a poal?

yeah because I like the rape mountain regulars.

Alright, the poll is up. Cast your vote!

poal.me/lsp17i

Dig a short way into the hillside and then go down a few levels so you have plenty of room to work, then make one of these

The results are in. 'Rapemountain Regulars' it is.

The entry tunnel and meeting hall are dug. Before we go any further we should take some time to determine the focus of the fort. What's our goal? Some ideas would be:

If you have any ideas for our long-term goal, now's the time to shoot.

Military then Industry.

Exterminate the knife ears.

Pick a fight with everyone.

Goy this is a Jewish imageboard you know what to do

Get voting, this is the most important poll! Determine the fate of Rapemountain!

poal.me/37xswj

Would you be willing to take the highest voted as a primary fort purpose with the second favorite being a passive or secondary fort goal?

That's a really good idea. Second place gets second priority.

This is some good shit

3 options are tied lel

Alright, we've come to a decision.

Prime directive is to conscript migrants into our fuckhuge military and fight everyone we see. This is guaranteed to get us killed eventually, we'll be besieged in no time at all.

Secondary objective is to trap, rather than kill, any dangerous creatures we find. We can then pit them in the arena against other creatures, elves, or even our own dwarves.

This is gonna be good. I'm gonna start fleshing out the fortress, making a farm, stockpiles, etc. I'll post results in a few minutes.

Can the female dorf still be named? If so, call her Gertrude the Quilter

Done.

dis gunna be gud

I'ma post my progress ITT since the DF general is slow and it's more fun to post in an active thread.

Anyways, I had a human show up in my fort and petition to be a longterm resident. That's fine, except he seems to have blue vomit for some reason.

Cool.

What? No exterminating knife ears?

We exterminate everyone, but especially knife ears. While we might let a human caravan escape with some survivors, we'll ensure the elves know no such mercy.

That cannot be good.
Keep an eye on him, lest it brings corruption!

Good I hate knife ears, one raped me back in Nam.

So this thread got me wanting to play dorf fort again and I embarked on a frozen river with volcano nearby. I didn't look close enough and mined into lava and lost both my miners.

PURGE ELV

how about killing all knife ears first then moving towards general genocide?

Yep, some general direction so we are not like the DF equivalent of ISIS sitting in a dump everybody shits on past his rivalrys.

I Propose this:
Knifeears>goblins>Whoever fucks with us then

it crashed

I gotta fix some stuff

Anyways, here's my fort so far.

i cant read this

What do you mean?

Alright, there's something I didn't think of.

Refuse and corpses get left around after shit dies. The dorfs don't like it when they have to see it, so we need to make a corpse pile somewhere. We could put it outside, or inside in some kind of tomb/crypt. Any ideas are welcome.

DIG BIG PIT
THROW SHIT IN IT

Can you feed the corpses to animals you capture?

Are you in a haunted location? Bones are bad in that case.

There's also the option to butcher some corpses for bones for bolts, no?

Make armor out of bones for your fresh recruits and bones bolts.

i've tried to play but i cant make out any of this. are the last two in the air or underground?

outside

Cook them and eat them.

There's a height indicator on the right side of the screen.

thx

Negative number in the top right means underground.

Positive number usually means above.

Just thought I'd update on the state of the fortress. We've been digging down and acquiring minerals, we've struck coal and iron. I'm gonna work on smelting it so we can get Ann Birch equipped with armor and weapons.

We also have 2 migrants, one male, one female. What are their names?

And is that some flux stone? Shit nigga, you got nice steel already

SEENOEVIL

i second Coal and Iron for the names

One name per person, which one do you want to be named?

Male - Cold
Female - Steel

the male to be called"not a clone of Hitler"

Alright, the male is "hitler" and the female is "coldsteel", everyone gets what they want

Is that actually flux for steel on the map, though?

Yeah, it's limestone. I'm smelting the steel right now, I brought some coke from embark to make the iron first.

A common snapping turtle ran through our front doors and began stalking the halls of Rapemountain, biting people and causing commotion. I dispatched The Rapemountain Regulars, and Hillary Clitoris picked it up by the leg and punched it to death. There's turtle blood all over the fucking hallway.

Nope, it's dead land. Rocks and shit, no plant life.

Okay that's a pretty spooky sounding statue

The first of many victories for the Rapemountain Regulars.

acquire gifcam
blog.bahraniapps.com/gifcam/

woops.

You should probably use a graphics set to help the newbies understand what is happening. Use something simple like Autoreiv that vizualizes just enough.

Okay I couldn't resist

I feel like I'm in the Matrix.

The Rapemountain Regulars are strong as ever. Hillary Clitoris is decked out in steel armor, Coldsteel and Hitler are wielding steel swords and bronze armor that we embarked with.

I'm working on making the trade depot into a gigantic trap. When an elf caravan comes in I'll close the door behind them, trapping them inside, and then sic the Regulars on them. Sound like a good idea?

Oh shit, the biggest migrant wave yet!

3 females, 4 males!

What are their names?

ReliableUrist!

Maddy - F
Paddy - F
Fatty - F

Ironvil Beardfist

One name per person. Which one do you want me to take?

Faggot 2 - M
Faglife - M
Big Urst -M

Fatty - F
that will do

KIck Me - M

no way to gas them?

Ancor Alefist - M

Yes. If we can, rape the elves before we kill them.

guys

Toady [DF's dev] doesn't want to put any kind of sexual content in the game.

Ayn Rand- F

but dorfs are small guys.

he's dead to me after what he did.

ladyboys?

Jesus minecart systems are cumbersome to set up and use

I made a fucking 3-way intersection and it just runs right off the track instead of turning. I also expected that they would load it with ores laying around but no they have to hit the stockpile first.

Bump of interest, I've never played this before
Where do I fucking begin

Just remember you'll lose.

My last fort was a Human fort (Masterwork is best mod) and it got overran by a dragon. Fucking bastard.

DF Starter Pack,
lurk around the Bay12 Forums, you'll learn a lot
And the DF Wiki has a great tutorial

Start making dem cage traps you goy

Generate a world and start a fort.
Failure is the best teacher as it tells you exactly where you need to improve.

bay12games.com/dwarves/
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

Wait, there isn't? I'm sure there was something… Some sort of graphical MUD or moo…

There are tons of MUDs and there are most likely some that would count as "massively multiplayer" with a strictly ASCII interface. If the guy you're responding to is implying there aren't any then he's incorrect

Mammy
[F]

It is possible to make a magma steam trap, but would require magma. Maybe later.

what about a pitfall or something?

We could potentially trap a forgotten beast that uses gas, then tie him up so that all he can do is spit gas at the elves.

I second this idea. I've played DF for a year or two now but I've always used a tile set

Thanks I've never hear of masterwork but after reading it's wiki page I'm definitely going to try it out tomorrow

Can miasma kill? If so, just build an indoor pit for refuse and corpses next to the gas chamber with a collapsing wall in between.

It can annoy the dwarves, but not kill.

Bad thoughts used to be more dangerous than they are now. Exposure to miasma for a season straight could lead to a massive tantrum spiral. I dunno if it has been nerfed or that the new needs system just allows dwarves to prioritize their mental well being better.

The problem with focusing on elf extermination is that we can not send out military expiditions in 43.05. We have to rely on the elves coming to us. If they decide to stay away from our fort then we can not attack them directly. I like the idea of pissing of everyone excluding our own civilization because it means maximum fun. To piss of potential siegers we should slaughter most of all trade caravans and diplomatic missions that are not from our civilization and send a few of their people back with their testicles and arms removed.

Please keep your updates regular lol.

Was enjoying

thread still alive or is OP dead?

calling it quits for the night, I'm fucking tired. I'll resume tomorrow

bump

building a forgotten beast gas chamber should be this fort's #1 goal

I'm entirely in support of gassing knife ears and other undesirables.

Magma misting seems easier to set up

OP made it sound like a forgotten beast was easier to get than finding magma for the steam trap.

Maybe it would be. I have little experience with military and forgotten beasts, so I'd personally go with the engineering approach

Trapping a Forgotten Beast
Magma

Second method is definitely more difficult, but the first one requires luck

My experience would be

AND WE'RE BACK

I made the trade depot into a huge trap. Anyone who comes in can have the door close behind them, and the entire caravan will 'mysteriously go missing'. I'll let a few survivors here and there escape, so they can spread the word of our massacre.

Conversely, I could potentially capture them in cage traps and keep them as slaves. Your decision.

We also have one female dorf left to name. Any takers?

lets go full Armok and enslave all we see

So my depot finally has a working trap/flood/drain system. It freezes in the winter, too.

God these mechanics were set up badly, though.

Enslave everything for later use in gladiator games against beasts. Except knife ears, kill them all.

Name the dorf Lena Dunham

also are you using the rapist?

also also why not just stream it?

enslave, put in gulags/arenas, gas when done with them

Yes, I am using therapist.
I don't want to stream it because my internet is shit, it would be suffering for all parties.

have you tried already?

Yeah, a few months ago. It was painful.

you're a big guy

for you

Despite the rocky ground, I dug a layer of clay to create a green space to the west; this will be grazeland for animals eventually, perhaps some aboveground crops.

My buildings are made of dolomite (white, stone) and hematite (red, iron ore) blocks. I laid the foundation for a large temple to the northeast, which will be made from marble.

I didn't know you could do this.

I don't know if trees and plants will ever grow there, though; the biome may be inappropriate. Irrigation may allow grasses on rocks, but I am not sure.

Either way, I won't have 4 cages of dead llamas this time.

oh shit urist what are you doing

No coal or trees on the map. Very little fuel has been imported and I didn't want to dive deep too fast.

As someone who hasn't played this before but is thinking of giving it a try why is iron ore bad?

Iron ore is fine, using it for buildings is questionable.

I don't care, I think it's cool.

It's valuable, and not very dwarfy to use rocks instead of superior metals.

Most stone has a value of 1, while flux stone (marble, limestone, dolomite) has a value of 2. Hematite has a multiplier of 8, and when refined into iron, 10. If you turn the iron into steel, it's worth 30. Because its an ore, it's limited, which means it's untapped wealth

Befriend all elves.

Neat

Ruins the dwarf fort zany randomness though

how's it coming?

It's a step backwards from DEM DORFS but a step towards a fortress of autism to a specific deity.

On the other hand, you could clear cut an entire forest and build a statue of the tree you cut down just to see the elves cry

op is a faggot

rip op

God damn it OP give us an update.

I have started work on a grand temple

Can't wait until these little fucks are peasants

A longterm goal for the fortress might be to arrange Dwarves by family

I wish the cloth industry wasn't so confusing.

You only need to process plants and weave to make plant fiber.
Spinning is for animal fiber and collecting and spinning is for silk.
Its not that hard. The only problem with the clothing industry is making shit that your dorfs will wear.

I just get confused because threshing/process plants isn't obviously related, and I keep doing other things.

I mean I get it eventually but it just throws me for a while

I don't understand

Dwarves can climb and will sometimes parkour to places that can't escape from. Sometime while I'm building walls they'll scale up 10z levels and then just starve to death because they can't figure out how to get down.

Eugh, what a dumbass. I remember when they first added it, dwarves would recklessly path straight up a volcano pipe. They never fell, thankfully, but it was nerve-wracking just the same.

Iron is one of the few metals you can use for weapons and armor, and it's required to make the superior weapon metal, steel. Using it for anything else is a waste.

30x mat multiplier makes it great for projects and crafts though

do a swatsika

Is it better to have a field with 6 plots open year round, or one field with 24 plots open one season?

Feels bad man

How do I know if there's a vampire

Perfect

Are we about to create a spartan training program like the days of old?

The only way to be sure of a vampire is to have your dwarves catch it in the act.
Vampire death messages are unique and say that X has been drained of his blood

Okay so it's just a dumb accident somehow.

Not yet, but I want to keep those little fucks in their own area if I can help it since I don't want to make a house for EVERY dwarf just yet.

Could be alcohol poisoning.

so that's how the dwarfs went extinct

Anyone working on the fort may want to read this:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0
It's the guide on how to raise
GENETICALLY PURE
ULTIMATE DWARVEN SOLDIERS

Also, consider lacing one dwarf's drink with vamp blood, and then seal him or her into a room made out of the strongest metals you can manage. The fort will never crumble because the vampire will live on forever.

But some are hotheads user.

Alright, where am I gonna throw down my orphanarium?

Features:

Put the orphanarium in the temple.

I'd need to store food and booze there, then. On the other hand, it might be a good place to store extra clothes and such, too.

I'd say far right on your path

That's sort of where the trade caravan is forced to come from; I have statues to guide them in

Anyways, temple does actually seem like a good choice since I didn't have much other use for it other than a location.

Little rooms are storages for clothes, since literally everyone has been naked for over a decade, big central rooms are communal bedrooms, and the right two are a public eatery with attached storage

Oh hey this is cool

Apparently you can set conditions and details on your workshop job manager profile thing. So like, you could create a "Make Rock Door" job, and set the quantity to 0 for infinite, then specify a specific material, and then only run the job (checked daily) if eg "Marble > 100" and "Marble Doors < 10"

Why are there suddenly like 500 rats near my buffalo (black dots)?

the plague is upon you

shit

Explain

Oh okay the wiki just said they sometimes appear in swarms and I don't even see them now.

Is OP coming back?

Not sure about OP, but I've kept working on my fort a bunch.

Better outdoor area, thinking about adding a hospital and perhaps cistern to the temple.

or if he uses a name do something like "fortressmaster+tripcode". something that indicates the purpose of the tripcode

this seems like a good thread for it so how do i into dwarf fortress anonymous? i haven't touched the game yet

Start by actually playing it

pic related

The temple is coming along well

Also, instead of hematite statues, I decided to commission my dwarves to make a very specific steel statue to be the main focal point of the temple location.

Well, this is depressing.

I realized I could just define a burrow and toss all the kids in there… so I did.

For 12 years, they will live naked and without their own beds, sharing communal dorms. During that time, they won't see the sun, they won't ever come above ground, and they won't ever see their parents. The only time they'll have contact with the outside is when someone comes to bring more food, or someone needs clothes replaced.

Well then it really doesn't matter then does it?

a glorious monument to our future triumphs.

Bump

Looks like someone is gonna have to start a new one cause op died i guess.

What graphics set are you using?

My own

I also adjusted the colors too.

pastebin.com/raw/VCp0z9RH

Sorry, not dead. Just been busy for a couple of days. Should I get the ball rolling again?

Yeah. Maybe you should make a new thread though.

Why? This one is still going and he's got at least 60 posts to go. It's literally the same topic.

Also we have two DF threads up already, this and

I'll keep using this thread until we're gone. I'll make a new one when it needs to be done.

OH SHIT

IT BEGINS

Here we go

I am ready

Alright, so there are 2 elves in this caravan. Should we kill them both in an act of genocide, or let one of them go free so he can go home and tell on us, ensuring war? Because that would mean more elf death in the long run

kill em both

If we kill them all the elves will never know it happened, but we want a war so spare one to give the news about it.

DECIDE THE FATE OF THESE KNIFE-EARED FAGGOTS!

poal.me/h65kp

I have done as you ordered.

Coldsteel led the charge with her steel battle axe. She jumped forth and got into a tangle with the female elf, whose name was 'Enina Thepayemi'. Enina kicked Coldsteel in the eyelid, which didn't seem to bother her much, but then Coldsteel stabbed the FUCK out of Enina before cutting her fucking head off. Now we have her head and mutilated corpse in our trade depot.

Let this be the first of many elves we kill.

use the corpse for food.

I FUCKING HATE ELVES

Amazing, I don't even have to order it now

We just got a HUGE migrant wave.

Total count is 17.

7 Male, 10 Female.

What are their names?

pussmasher male

KHAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Male preferably in the military

We should have a legacy game some day where we send each other save files for every year that passes.

Name a male "Smarp"

5 males, 10 females to go

Name one Sly Marbo
And maybe another one Wolffkran

Goldberg Sheckelstein make him a broker

2 male names to go.

We still have 10 females to name. Figured we'd have people chomping at the bit to name them after waifus, but I guess not.

Sarah Silverman

Risky Boots

Was this supposed to mean something

he wants you to name one yukari

Alright.

7 grills left

"mai waifu"

"Tits Next to a Steak"

Helga McBigTit

concubines 1-4
make a brothel

H-here we go

Time to build an inn down there.

But I already a surface inn

I think I'll keep harvesting marble to complete my temple and this will also allow my children to grow up… I need more housing and a clothes industry still

Lost another planter today.

Looks like he and a miner were fighting a kea, and the miner bumped into him, causing his left hand and foot to explode into gore. My dwarves took way to long to assemble a hospital, so at best he fell unconscious and bled out after being sutured.

This thread is amazing.

It's pretty average as far as DF threads go

How come Holla Forums has never done successor forts?

The Keller

Anonymity makes that difficult.

Just pass it on to anyone who wants it.