First RPG played?

Mine was Aidyn Chronicles on N64. Did anyone here ever play it?

It was kind of terrible, but the story was amazing in my opinion.

What was the first RPG you can remember playing Holla Forums?

I am kinda ashamed that this was the first rpg i played as a kid. I never got past first dungeon. Never completed it. Considered this game a shit, cause i didn't understood how rogue like games work at that time and age.

I loved Aidyn Chronicles. It still feel overwhelming comfyness thinking back on it. Most of my favourite vidya related memories of the n64 are of Aidyn Chronicles.

The combat is boring and permadeath is bullshit, but otherwise such a good game

I think it was Breath of Fire 2 on my friends Snes but there was this whole section of the game that I remember that I never found when playing Breath of Fire 2, something about sailing across the ocean to a new undiscovered continent and a museum.

I used to really like JRPGs until I played western RPGs, I can only touch Chrono Trigger, SMT and Terranigma, maybe FFIX, the writing and characters still make me cringe hard though.

Barring Pokemon (depending on if one counts it as monster raising, an RPG, or a mixture of the two), a friend gave me a copy of Golden Sun maybe six years back in high school. Since then I've really been enjoying playing various JRPGs, both as series and standalones, for the first time, though there's still a lot of classics I need to get around to.

Almost done with the current series I've been playing; not sure which JRPG in my backlog to start next.

Thankfully Breath of Fire II has a fan retranslation patch if you ever feel like replaying it.

Probably one of the Wizardry games. I don't remember much before I was like 11.

With the exception of games that had rpg like elements such as Sea Dogs 2 or Severance: Blade of Darkness, I think the first RPG I ever played was 1 hour of Morrowind, back when I was 7 or 8(I thought it was very confusing and boring, plus English isn't my first language). The first RPG that I played all the way through was Gothic 1. This was back in fifth grade(I was 11) and was a gift from a friend. Gothic 2 with the expansion is also my favorite game. Since G1, I played a lot more RPG either western or japanese, either old or new, either action based or turn based. I also played Morrowind and enjoyed it a lot.

Looks pretty cool for a game that early. Still I understand the feeling.

Glad someone else loved it, even for the time the graphics were terrible but the characters were interesting and the story made up for the negative aspects.

I didn't understand Shadowrun at all as a kid, so I consider Grandia II the first one I properly got into. Despite my nostalgia boner for it though, I think the first one curbstomps its ass.

I find myself enjoying Dragon Quest the most, namely III and VI because of their class systems and nonlinear progression. Final Fantasy bores the shit out of me, even the ones like V and VI that people swear are RPG messiahs, and I think that's because they're really just the writers' shitty narratives with some considerably heavier RPG elements than something like Zelda.

First RPG I can remember playing was probably Breath of Fire II on the SNES. Still one of my favourite games of all time and I still revisit it now and then (though with the retranslation patch, Capcom's official translation was absolute hot garbage and I don't get how it got past QA).

I also played Aidyn Chronicles (it was a bit difficult for me to get my head around as a kid as it was my first real complex RPG but eventually beat it).

I remember renting it from a Blockbuster, probably the last new N64 game I played before moving on to the next-gen.

It was pretty bad, but for whatever reason I still ended up enjoying it. Also boy did a lot of the "designs" on the monsters scared the hell out of me, they were so poorly modelled that it had this weird uncanny valley like effect to them.

I didn't have much patience for RPGs as a kid but did manage to get through this eventually at about 13 or so.

I wish the PS2 version of Grandia II wasn't bad. I don't know anyone personally with a Dreamcast I could borrow, and my computer's a toaster I don't trust to be able to play a sixth gen game on (be it Dreamcast emulation or native PC release).

The hilarious thing is that BoF II's official translation was not only deemed "acceptable" by Capcom once, but deemed "acceptable" by them TWICE, considering the GBA port reused it (hence the big drive for that guy to retranslate the game, if memory serves). Meanwhile, Square had at least started getting better about touching up/retranslating the scripts with some of their GBA and DS ports and remakes of their classic games.

I know there's that Grandia II Anniversary Edition that should run on toasters, but I think I remember hearing its quality being hit-or-miss. Damn shame considering how ambitious certain elements of it were, like actually supporting Dreamcast save files.

I've been wondering if maybe Sony and Sega (or whoever they'd need to talk to about it at this point) could possibly work something out to get the Dreamcast version itself put on the PSN. I mean, they've had Grandia up there a good while and just recently put Grandia III up there, but Grandia II is still absent, be it a digital version of the PS2 port or not.

I beat it too, but I had the help of dial up internet. I think either Aidyns Chronicles or Shadowman 64 was the first game I had to use internet for to wrap my head around.

Yeah it was pretty late when it came out. Strange it didn't have voice acting, alot of other late games on the 64 had voice acting (Perfect Dark and Conkers Bad Fur Day.)

I remember some of the villains being pretty spooky, like that spider demon lady that you dream of throughout the game and then fight at the end.

i think chrono trigger at a friends house was the first rpg i saw, but mario rpg was the first rpg i owned and played.

Grandia 2 showed me what RPG combat can be.

Might as well post the Chrono Trigger OVA for anyone that wants to see it and hasn't yet. Pretty damn charming, even with just a pair of monsters dicking around.

If you want more "turn-based with more active player input than usual" combat, the Shadow Hearts series has its Judgment Ring system, which tests hand/eye coordination, encourages playing well (each turn costs Sanity, and at 0, the character becomes uncontrollable unless some is restored), and has status effects that outright fuck with the player's ability to time inputs if left unresolved. The later games added harder difficulties in the form the targets to hit being narrower (with the reward of stronger effects for being able to time it right), as well as combos between characters utilizing a pseudo-physics system of how an action effects an enemy's position/height in relation to the next action.

Hell, even outside of combat, you can test your hand/eye coordination when buying or selling to get discounts and mark ups. Really not something I've seen real often.

pretty much all i want out of any cartoon

Either FF1 or Dragon Warrior, I can't remember which.
FF1 remains one of my favorite RPGs to this day, so probably that one.

Seriously, that Nu takes a piss all over Gato/Gonzales, who proceeds to fly into a rampage over it.

But yeah, it's how I like an OVA. Set in the same world, but not trying to be an abridging of some event (or worse, an entire game), but rather telling its own thing with it's own characters.

How's Final Fantasy I compare between the NES and PSP versions?

RPG or dungeon crawler?
If a RPG, it was Betrayal at Krondor or maybe Ishar I. If just a dungeon crawler, I think it was either Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder I.

Does the first Zelda count? It could be seen as more in line with a dungeon crawler.

If not, then I guess Baldur's Gate.

All of my sides.

First RPG is pic related. In Japanese. When French is my first language. It still is my favorite.

gothic was the first rpg i played as well and still one of the best.

Pokemon Blue on my cousin's Game Boy Color

It's interesting that all the other user's first RPG have been all on console.

I got lost in a forest and couldn't advance.

I grew up with a snes and psx, but oddly enough i never played an rpg until Paper Mario TTYD. Unless you count zelda alttp as an rpg

Scratch that, I'm a retard after all

Played them on PC.

people who label any zelda game an rpg need to be gassed

I had a PS1 myself, but due to limited funds for vidya never really branched out much until I was a lot older. Missed out on a lot of good ones back then, some of which can be pretty pricy now. Thankfully a CFW PSP makes a pretty good PS1 system as well.

Is pokemon considered and rpg? if so pokemon yellow
Otherwise it was probably legend of legaia for the psx

Pokemon Silver on the GBC. I remember the text being garbled up as well, so it was probably a pirated copy or something.

Why shouldn't it be? The monster-raising aspects aren't as in-depth/complex/tedious/sims-like/whatever as with the original DW or with Monster Rancher. Two of some of the oldest JRPG franchises had monster-raising elements to them: DQ5, which eventually spawned into its own subseries of DQ Monsters; and MegaTen, which is the basis of the entire mainline. The only way I could see Pokemon getting discounted as RPGs is if you discount JRPGs as a whole.

If we're disregarding Pokemon and Digimon, then my first RPGs are either FF1 and 2 on the PSX or Prince of Qin on the PC. I can't remember which.

Honestly, I'd count Pokemon as a mixed monster raising/JRPG, but some people out there for whatever reason don't want to call it a JRPG (maybe they don't want to admit to liking one, and would rather just say they enjoy monster raisers? I don't know).

I guess counting that then Pokemon Crystal or Yellow. I think the former came with a GBA my dad brought home, and I played Yellow version through the backwards compatibility at some point. But aside from those, the first "standard" (I guess) JRPG I played was Golden Sun, which got my more interested in those sort of games on the whole.

I'm actually being serious - this was my first introduction to leveling up, stats, boss battles and a zero to hero storyline.

How does that work, exactly? You have a boss tier opponent you have to reach the hole in less swings than, or does one of those field hazards, like a windmill, come to life that you have to beat up?

The first one. There's characters called Pros who are the champions of their courses, and you have to outplay them to become the new reigning champion of the region.

Ah. Given that it's a Mario game, I'd have found either one fitting.

It was probably one of these but I'm not sure which.

Unf, dat demo. Ashamed to admit I didn't finally register the game until around 2010.

what a ugly game, i remember spending 2 days straight playing this crap, i had no memory pack so couldn't save, only to die to the last boss, which is kinda of a miracle since it usually crashes after a few hours. Overall i enjoy it for what it was, not fantastic but quite intriguing especially playing it like a Ironman mode.

The writing gets really bad by disc 3.

The original PC version runs just fine with integrated chipsets.

MORROWIND

Imagine the torment I went trough until now because no other game (fallout 3 game close) than the first one I played in the genre.

Kingdom Hearts.

I played Aidyn Chronicles too, first RPG i really got into but yeah it was hard sometimes, I would also say it was one of the first 'Open World' games out there, the first I played anyway. I relied on a lot of Nintendo Power magazines to get through the beginning of the game, Like that rouge chick you HAVE to take with you at the start, if you never ask her she will corner you outside the castle and if you do the convo just right she gives you an axe she stole from the castle black smith to prove her worth.

This game. Also Final Fantasy I on a web emulator ages ago, back when I was like 5 or so. I think it was in Shockwave. Pretty sure I never got a chance to beat it.

I actually played PM1 many years after playing TTYD. Still pretty enjoyable, if not as nuanced. Shame Nintendo seems dead set on not having Paper Mario be a JRPG anymore, spouting that if people want more RPG Mario games to just buy Mario and Luigi instead.

Still need to play SMRPG.

Dragon Warrior/ Quest 1
faked sick all third term to finish it
no regrets

Shit was hype in the day, I guess it still is.
Other than esper grinding though there really isn't anything that seperates from other rpgs, besides the music, graphics and characters.

A toss-up between Pokemon Yellow or Dangerfall, although I also recall playing some SNES RPGs lent by my relatives early in my childhood too (FF4 and SMRPG).

Actually scratch that, Pokemon Crystal was my first RPG, as well as the first game I ever played.

Diablo or Mordor

final fantasy mystic quest
surprisingly in depth in retrospect; every weapon type was in the map for various puzzles

This piece of shit, which my feeble child mind at the time didn't comprehend at all.

And no, I won't play it again as an adult, since I've learned that it was one of the shittiest in the Ultima series.

Why, Ocarina of Time of course. It's the greatest RPG ever made. RPGs shouldn't have levels or classes or skills when all it takes to make a good one is a love of adventure. The N64 is also the best console to grace mankind.
Did you get all that?
Yes
(Zelda reference)

I had a memory pack, but even then the crashes were terrible. Remember when you meet the Dragon so Alaron gets his soul named?

It crashed like 5 or 6 times when I got up to that part, then by some miracle when on my last attempt it went smooth.

Baldurs Gate 2 and then Morrowind came later for me. Morrowind will always be the greatest RPG game for me. I remember hiring from a video shop for a night (lol) and when I got to Balmora me and my friend knew there was no way we were finishing it that night.

I always killed her off, and recruited Becan (the woodsman ranger) in that second town you go to with those weird Dwarf type people.

Ah yes this ugly piece of shit. I must say I remember the game having much more sound but playing it again and Alaron's hairdo and pug face is just as god awful as I remember. The story is something and it had some pretty neat cutscenes for all your party members too on your travels that fleshed them out. Or other little details like how Stupidity can outright take out enemies with a low enough intelligence score because a stat brought down to 0 kills them so zombies were much easier.

The GBA version of the game felt a lot smoother than the NES version, but they probably play the exact game.

One of the cellphone ports I played of it was interesting since you were only able to save via tents/sleeping bags/hotels I think.

Oh man, it was either Phantasy Star (II or III) or Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. I think.

i dont remember
but i think it was illusion of gaia, or breath of fire 2,

Are you me? I also consider those two games my first RPGs that I played seriously.

I remember I knew of that game because it came with a CD from a PC gaming magazine (forgot the name) in which contain lots of RPGs demos and the full version of Betrayal at Grondor. I really liked the Exile series for some reason, played them for hours.

Holy shit Holla Forums is filled with newfags

Either you aren't Japanese, and that's bullshit,
or you are Japanese, and there's no fucking way anyone would be both old enough to own a PC-98 yet young enough to have never played an RPG before.
Stop trying so hard to fit in.

smh newfags

kill urself

tbh you are a newfag. and a triggered one at that.

Ahh you think oldfaggotry is your ally but you merely adopted your oldfaggotry ,i was born in it , molded by it personal computers where a luxury where i'm from, hell even consoles that weren't those Amiga rip-offs with 156 different versions of the same 20 games pre-installed in them where relatively expensive , I didn't see a true RPG until I was already a man and by then it was blinding

I'm pretty sure the newer generations have played much more vidya the older ones.

pick one

idk, it's not like video games were rare in the ye old days

and we didn't have tf2/lol to spend 100,000 hours on