Netmonsters

I want to get some people from Holla Forums hooked on an abandoned online game from around the year 2000, like I am

Basically, you use URLs to create Pokemon-style monsters for you to fight and capture. These URLs determine everything about the monster, from the stats to the moves to the picture. You can make monsters with custom images, names, and titles. There is also an online PVP function to the game and a "single player" story dependent on other people discovering boss URLs (there are 84 bosses in total). You can also raise a "champion netmonster" that can equip crystals you get from "oracle" URLs, allowing them to become extremely powerful. And you can trade netmonsters and DNA blueprints with other players.

I'd say yes, for a while. The download comes with a .txt file that has a list of sites that are still up. These sites have good advice and boss/oracle URLs for you to use. I've beaten all the bosses that I could find and discovered 2 more while checking random URLs. With more people playing this game, more URLs that generate cool stuff will be discovered

As it stands, there are a shitton of random encounter URLs but only a few Boss/Oracle URLs that have been discovered among the random encounter ones. With even just three people playing, one person would find enough URLs to make the other two happy, I reckon.

If anyone plays, please post links in this thread and possible future netmonster threads. I will put them on my website (in links)
The game is easy to pick up, but reaching maximum power is something I haven't done yet. I didn't read a guide, but I have one published on my website that I set up for this game. It's easy to get into, but you can consult my guide or the official one (archives from around 2005) to learn more. The official guide does not have any information on DNA editing, which is weird because it is a central mechanic. There is a DNA section in my guide. You should probably skim the bold parts of my guide to learn useful tips.

Download:
mediafire.com/?pv31k1923h59ozi
There are links to good sites included, plus there's an archive of whitemask.com (link to it in my website)

My website:
dongwiener.angelfire.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B5GUENKBqrdRSkcteG5XelJXSms/view?usp=sharing
dongwiener.angelfire.com/index.html
1998portal.neocities.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Theme song

I'm trying to install this, but the installer keeps freezing at copying fonts. What do I do?

To be totally honest, I have no idea. What OS are you using? I would try running it in a compatibility mode for XP first, or using a vm of XP if the first option doesn't work. I'm running it from a laptop with Windows 8.1 installed without any sort of compatibility issues.

Oh, and I forgot to add: I disabled a bunch of fonts at startup for my computer a long time ago, to make it boot a little faster (who needs arabic or farsi when your web browser takes care of that?)

That might be relevant, since it involves fonts.

Win 7 x64 bit
I put it in XP compatibility mode and it's still running but it's still frozen at fonts.

I'm just going to remove any fonts that are causing the installer to freeze

That is pretty weird. I can't really speak from direct experience when it comes to solving this issue, since I went from vista straight to 8. I guess you can either delete additional "language packs" (I called these fonts earlier by mistake, but they do have very useless fonts in them) or try a virtual machine approach ( make a virtual machine from around 2000) Sorry I can't be more helpful!

The file "LICENSE.BMP" in your [Installation path] is invalid. Please contact support for assistance.

Run-time error '481': Invalid picture

Actually I think it's that it's freezing because I'm missing a font.

I would really hate it if half of Holla Forums couldn't play this game because of stuff like this

Have you gotten as far as the "license" part? I could make my copy of my functional LICENSE.BMP available to you through a Google Drive link.

Nope, can't do license part. I get the error and then it closes

drive.google.com/file/d/0B5GUENKBqrdRSkcteG5XelJXSms/view?usp=sharing

Try using this file

Still telling me the license is invalid (the bmp looked corrupted before I replaced it after installing it)

I'm looking into a virtual machine solution to this game right now, so that everyone can have at least one standard option

I forgot that I don't have an XP ISO on this computer

In the meantime, I hope there are people who are set up to just play the game instantly. I know there are some people who use XP as their main OS on here

god bless you for trying OP

I managed to get the game running on a Windows XP VM, with an iso I got off TPB and virtualbox. This should work for everyone. Probably a lot of people already have VM software and an XP iso anyway.

Also, another screenshot

Also, this is how you capture your first netmonster

This looks pretty cool, wish it wasn't abandoned. Will only certain URLs work with this?

ONE job…

I think you can use new hip characters like Tim Schafer and that Dedotated WAM kid.

Fuck me.

Wait, what? Why did the thumbnail magically change?

Unfortunately, yes. That said, if you have even a little html knowhow, you can create the monsters you want, and anyone can randomize URLs with the ? trick which has a chance of spawning a boss/oracle. So it's not a huge issue

I'll download this for my Windows 98 VM later. Could be fun. Kinda reminds me of Monster Rancher + Neopets, almost.

do you even Blitzkrieg?

You'll want to use a vm then

Works for me on win7 64bit.

But I can't get any URLs to work- what do?

If you mean "site not found" then one of two things might be wrong:
- it's not a netmonster URL (the monsters themselves are specifically created html files put only oncertain addresses e.g. netmonster ones)
- You're not including the full path (include http://

Try pasting this in:

Actually whit I made a mistake
There is no www. in that url

MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG
MARLO IS A FAG

Bump because this game is fucking sick.
"It just works" for me on W7 SP1, no updates installed, 64-bit. Try that in a VM if you're on something else.

I'm glad that I got a few people to play. I think I'll post my "Pvp code" in a little bit and we can figure that out. For now, remember to post any special URLs you can find!

delet this

I got some gay robot thing from 1998portal.neocities.org/
IDK if it'll be the same monster for everyone or what, I copied the HTML from the program itself

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but here's my IP code. Currently waiting for a challenge

IP00125D6F3444113843B1B4AACBA686B2576E98E5

Just tried it, didn't work. It says this is my IP code, too.

I remember playing this back in the day. Good times.
If memory serves, you can open one of the game files up in Notepad and there are secret codes in plaintext. I distinctly remember finding and entering a code that set my rank to "guy who created the game".
Anyway, I tried to find more info in my old notes, but this is all I could find:
Hope that helps someone.

I believe the issue here is that if you're connecting to a router (Wi-Fi or LAN, as opposed to direct modem connection), it detects your IP for your personal network, and not your internet IP.

IP00135C6D3B411426B9BBBEA4A19C944C599CFDFAF6

try this one

Then it would still be possible to connect using a proxy then, right? There's an option in the settings menu for using a proxy address

Entered it, it said connecting, and then "socket operation timed out" error. It's progress, though.

Yeah, if you can find a good, working proxy, it could work.

Although I did run it in a sandbox and it didn't try anything funny…

also you could use hamachi or something similar to set up a vpn

I think I'm using Hamachi correctly, never used it before

IP00125D6F3444113840BDA8B0D4A18EAB4C698EE1

For Hamachi, everyone in the thread would need to download it, not a viable solution IMO

I managed to make a connection with myself. What I did was use the VM IP code on my host IP copy of the game. Now I'm going to see what all the functions do. I think that, going forward, I'm going to just copy my files to the VM and use that, and everyone can just fight/trade on VM. Also, the built-in chat is non-functional, probably because the server for it went down a long time ago. Maybe I should set up a discord for sharing IPs

If someone could set up a VM copy and post the IP code from that one, I'd be really grateful. I want to see if connections between VMs located on different hosts are possible. I don't know shit about computers.

Observations:
1: Connecting does not work unless the other player is also idling at the pvp screen (the one with the IP code entry fields). The pvp screen is separate from the main client screen, and it says "netmonster" when a challenge is issued, so you can do other shit while waiting. I guess people were supposed to just post their IP codes on the integrated chat when the game was active. I'll set up a discord channel for this stuff.

2. chatting in the game client when a connection is established works, probably because it's a direct connection

3. For some reason, custom monster images from my host copy don't display on the VM copy's trade window. When I traded Asscastle from my host copy to the VM copy, he initially did not have his custom image. However, when I used "update netmonsters" under "monster maintenance" the VM copy restored the custom image (by pulling it from the .html directory on the website)

4. Initiated a battle on both copies. The battle proceeded normally on my host copy, but didn't display on the vm copy. My host copy monster won. Winning the battle gave my host copy an oracle crystal (!).

I got "socket operation timed out" when I tried to input my VM copy's IP into the challenge field on my host copy's pvp screen. This leads me to suspect that it's something about the way a modern windows OS handles internet connections. Now I'm going to make another WinXP VM on my host computer and try and fight/trade between the two. I predict that a connection between 2 VMs will be as glitchless as possible, which means that a VM will be the only auxiliary program required to play this game (awesome)

Just battled using 2 VMs. Everything went flawlessly. A crystal was not awarded this time, but the battle was 1:1 on both machines unlike last time. Therefore, I can say that a VM is the best way to PvP in this game right now.

IP000F40552F35000E515AB282A6B0D2AB85

This is the IP to the vm copy of the game. Try fighting me! I'll be here a while longer.