ES;Oblivion general

Hey Holla Forums, I was wondering what you guys thought of oblivion and what was the one moment you remember most with it, and any mods you would personally recommend?

Other urls found in this thread:

loverslab.com/forum/2-oblivion/
yadi.sk/d/z2kEgqemsMfBP
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Prepare yourself to be lynched and called a newfag (because, to be honest, you have to be to ask this question)

Personaly, Oblivion was my first experience with a big RPG, I tried Morrowind before, but it never hooked me, I already loved Daggerfall but I never played seriously from end to end it was more of a time waster because it was so big and full of things. I really like Oblivion because the atmosphere was just great, you just get dropped here and it says "Go on, do whatever you want" and to this day I still exactly remember my first few hours (I also was the kind of autistic kid who played a role while playing games, I would treat everything like real life and sometimes even talk in front of my TV no NPCs passing by)
Now that I know more about the behind the scenes, I can understand why some people hate it, so much lies and exaggeration, but I never read anything on the game so I didn't have any "hype".

I'm just gonna ask a question about lore.

Was it ever explained exactly why the dwarves vanished after tampering with the heart of Lorkahn or did it just happen with nothing in game saying why? Like did they zero sum (which would be weird because wouldn't everyone forget about them entirely that way?) or did they just get transported to a different realm, or a different point in time like Alduin did in Skyrim?

Move on there, that's my recommendation:
loverslab.com/forum/2-oblivion/

What I remember:
- potato faces everywhere
- several voices for everyone
- simplified skill system
- no movement/transportation related spells beyond water walking and water breathing
- shitty minigames for lockpicking and persuasion
- boring routines for NPCs day in, day out doing the same
- monster strength, NPC equipment, loot quality and, especially vexing, some item stats (i.e. for Escutcheon of Chorrol) leveling with you
- Cyrodiil being loacted not in subtropics, but in temperate climate
- boooring dungeons feeling samey without unique elements within them, with only randomized loot for the most part
- Nirnroot plants whose numbers are limited to little over 300, I'm not autistic enough to try finding all of them, even with their nice alchemical properties
- not even one city with the population deserving the name of a city, even the Imperial City having less than 200 denizens

I forgot:

The lack of combat skills working past 100 combined with the overdone level scaling ruins the game entirely for me, unfortunately. When you get a high enough level just about everything takes forever to kill. I also disagree with the decision to go with action combat, especially since they didn't take the time to do it right. If you're going to use action combat with rpg elements you have got to put the effort in. I have a lot of other gripes, but those are the biggest. It's a shame, though, a lot of the quests in this game are great, and the characters are full of personality, but the game just doesn't work for me on a RPG or action game level.

It's never explicitly stated, but everything points to them becoming a part of Numidium.

Let's not forget how a single bandit later on can actually kick your ass up and down the street.

The level scaling in this game is pathetic, you start by fighting rats and weak goblins, and later on somehow those rats become fucking ogres and shit, and the bandits are the worst example. I can perfectly understand if one of them managed to grab a piece of daedric equipment, they're bandits after all, but a full set of daedric? Oh, and they are all sword masters now, because why the hell not?

I wanted to like the game, it has some pretty nifty quests, especially the thieves guild and dark brotherhood (despite the fact that you climb through the ranks faster than a fat guy eats a candy bar), but the bad aspects of it, which there are a lot of them, really drags the game down.

I fucking hate this, a shitty fix is to choose skills you wont level up as your primary so you never level up unless you want to.

Dont they respawn after a certain amount of time?

The lockpicking was the shit. Atleast it was more based on the players skill more than anything else.

I found the combat to be better than skyrim.

it had less depth compared to morrowind.
You could also have fun exploring dungeons in morrowind and the loot was always a nice reward.

While the leveling up and questing was better in morrowind, I didn't like its combat much.

I liked playing the modded morroblivion mod the most, since it added spells and gameplay stuff from morrowind right into oblivion.
Having the areas and dungeons from morrowind with the quicker combat in oblivion just felt perfect for me.

I liked it, and i liked Morrowind as well, as well as Daggerfall and took the time to finish them all.

Hate Skyrim though, and everything about it. Never played Arena fully as i couldn't get use to it.

I was sneakthiefing some dude's castle. Got caught by a npc, but I evaded the guards and ran half world away. I do some quests for a couple in-game days. Suddenly during mid-day, in middle of random wilderness the earlier castle's lord comes running at me, looking like he's smoldering. I recognize that it's the burning effect vampires get in daylight. The lord opened dialogue with me and said something like this:
"Hey, Thief! You are not supposed to be in here! Guards! Guards!"
And then he ran off.

I seriously recommend going full thief/assassin. It's broken as fuck, but it's pretty unique experience and hasn't been done as well in any other Bethesda game.

Good atmosphere, nice towns and forests with comfy music. Terrible combat, AI, dungeons, level scaling, looting and generally everything. Lackluster quests, voice acting, character models and animations.

Lockpicking skill isn't worth shit because you can pick any lock difficulty regardless of your skill. Looting is awful because they decided it would be a good idea to fill every container with 90% useless junk items. Illusion was broken because it let you anger NPCs and get them killed without becoming a criminal. Dungeons were all the same shit. Dick.

Go get Nehrim, best game youll get out of Oblivion

If you want to play it vanilla then get all unofficial patches and a mod that changes the levelling system.
If you want a better experience then get stuff like Open Cities, MMM+OOO, a UI mod to your liking, Midas Magic, Natural Environments/Unique Landscapes and Deadly Reflex. If you still aren't satisfied then run down the most endorsed mod list on the nexus and pick whatever sounds good to you.

If you want to play a better game then get Nehrim or some loverslab mods.

Oblivion is a shit game but that isn't surprising as every single game in the TES series is absolute shit.

So someone leaked 5 beta builds of the PSP spin-off TES game The Elder Scrolls Travels:Oblivion.
yadi.sk/d/z2kEgqemsMfBP

How complete it is and does it actually run on ppsspp?
Considering how buggy "complete" versions of bethesda games are I dare not run a leaked beta on a real PSP

Get the mod where all the goblins have boners and generally opt to raping you instead of fighting you.

How is it?

This is an RPG. A game where your character's arbitrary number is based on their ability to do x/y/z, to simulate progression. This simulated progression makes every new game somewhat like experiencing it for the first time. Wether this is good or bad is up to you, but thats a hallmark of the genre. Then, why should a new character with shit persuasion be able to get everyone up to max just because the person behind the keyboard is good at the minigame? It works in, say, bioshock's hacking, because the whole game is based off the player's skill (the little it requires from him). Oblivion isnt a skill-based game, but there are some elements that allow for skill.

And dont get me wrong, i enjoyed the minigames in oblivion. They shouldnt have been there though, as it didnt make sense in terms of the genre. The nufallout/skyrim lockpicking did a little better in tone of the gameplay, but worse in terms of the minigame in isolation.

Yes and?
Oh do you prefer random shit? Random shit tied to some shit perks?
Oh ok nevermind.

I'm trying to run them on PPSSPP but i just get a black screen. Now i will try them on my PSP but i've read that you need LME CFW or something like that to run them.

Are there any mods that change its pace, gameplay and character development to be more akin to Morrowind's? Any mods that replace the copy-pasted dungeons with actually thought out ones?

FORGET ABOUT THAT. I correct myself, according to some post ive found on neofag, you need PRO-C2 which i already have. I'll report back later.

I'm downloading it now myself, will try on my PRO-B10 PSP and report back

Oblivion is the worst game Bethesda has ever made. Even Fallout 4 is better than Oblivion.

Didn't Oblivion and Morrowind have the exact same system? I mean Oblivion has fewer skulls of course but you only have 7 skills to level from instead of 10.

Morrowind had a lot of redundant skills too, like 4 armor choices on a character where you only would ever need 1 (mw is still better but I'm saying in terms of realistic leveling that Oblivion should actually be slower)

Do the dogs look good? Argonians have standards~

then you dont use more than 1 armor skill, retard. youre not meant to mix multiple of the same class of skills aside from magic.

It's garbage, and don't say mods can fix it because they can't.

That was my entire point dumbass. Morrowind has more skills and more skills to increase your level, but so many of them are redundant that you don't see them on the same character so of course they'll you level up slower than you would in Oblivion

Getting a black screen on the first ISO I tried…

Explain what redundant means, please. Certainly not that "you don't see them on the same character". You are not required to be a know-all in any RPG, and you are not expected so in most of them.

Oblivion is a game so fundamentally broken that the best way to play it is make all your major skills ones you'll never use or just never sleep in a bed to level up. Shivering Isles is worth a playthrough, but aside from that, it's a shit game. Even Skyrim is better.

If you think that's badly broken, enchant your equipment with the cumulative 100%+ Chameleon effect from sigil stones. Now that's what I call broken.

Another example is sigil stones found at the top of oblivion gates. Their properties are progressively better the higher is your level when you pick them.

No, they don't respawn. Read your character sheet. It has a line with "Nirnroot plants found: X" or similar.

It goes against the whole idea of a RPG. It should reflect the skills of your character, not yours. Minigames are childish imo. And it's retarded that the game pauses for their duration. Make the lockpicking like in Thief games, doing it in real time, only with picks having the chance to break if you try moving the mechanism in the wrong direction.

They come back after one year

Check the wiki, boyo.

Take a look at this:
>>>/tes/2137

Eh, not gates. Towers that sustain the gates.

The worst part is you can get the motherfucking skeleton key at level 10 in what is by far the easiest daedric quest.

That image gets me everytime

What gets me there is that the province of Imperials is not called Oblivion.

i love oblivion with all of its quirks. Its probably just nostalgia from playing it as a youngling.
Most memorable moment

My fondest memory was running uninstall.exe 'cause this game is complete garbage, unless you need a sleep aid.

The moment I remember most clearly about Oblivion is encountering one particular trap. I don't remember where it was (in a cave or something), but the details of the trap itself are crystal clear:
There's a smooth stone circle on the ground with a treasure chest in the middle of it. It looks suspicious, so you look up, and see spikes on the ceiling. It's one of those pillars that suddenly rises up and slams you into the ceiling when you step on it. You walk carefully around the circle… and trigger the ACTUAL pillar trap that was just past it. The circle is just a decoy with an empty treasure chest, and the spikes are actually above the real trap.

As far as mods go, I'd say get the one that improves level-scaling quest rewards when your level goes up. Don't have to put anything off that way.

Spent the rest of the day trying to find mods to fix that shit to no avail.