archive.is/1psUc
soundcloud.com/cosmictits/astral-erection
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

well fug

It feels good to be right.

we know nigger

It's pretty groovy, huh?

Well fuck you too.

They better get some of the guys from the BTS and ATS soundtracks on this.

So let me get this straight, some autists just sat there and made fan game using both original content and assets from old game.
Sega saw it, and instead of shutting it down, adopted the project, gave it money and branded as a part of franchise?
While Nintendo shut down that metroid fan game while releasing shitty handheld halo clone under metroid name?
Is that right?

no that's completely wrong

What happened then, where did this came from?

Not quite, you ignorant little shit.

That actually looks kinda fun

This game has always been an official sega project, but one of the developers (Christian Whitehead) was previously in charge of a fan-port of sonic CD to iOS in 2009 which was later made official in 2011

I'm pretty sure they're talking about one of the guys behind Sonic Mania.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Whitehead#Career

Meanwhile:
metroid2remake.blogspot.cl/

Ok, they didn't adopt sonic mania, they adopted some talented dude and made him make a new retro sonic game.
Still not bad, especially compared to nintendo.
My point was while we got used to big companies and publishes being bad guys, sega for once did something good.

Then he wanted to port Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but for some reason SEGA didn't allow it (my bet is because of MJ and his music, hence there is no Sonic 3 & Knuckles OST yet) and things went silent. And then Mania announcement happened. They also have PagodaWest and Stealth, the former has some Sonic 2 HD devs, the latter worked on Sonic Megamix.

Otherwise, SEGA was always fine with fan projects, they C&D only one fan project which is SoR Remake because they could lose the IP, however, they allowed the devs to release and spread the game before C&D.

Also, I'd rather link Sonic Retro, fuck wiki.

SEGA does what Nintendon't

Not just him, the founder of headcanon games is also a big sonic autist.

Now i'm a little hyped.

You fell for my ruse cruise, user. I didn't say they were shitty.

They're all right, just not the same. I wouldn't call them shitty so much as different, with Advance 1 being the closest to the Genesis games without quite getting there. Music's definitely not as good, but I'd blame the hardware more than the composers. And those Special Stages can go fuck themselves.

I'm pretty ambivalent about Blaze. She's not bad. The soundtrack has a groovy hip hop feel to it, but I can't quite place why it didn't work for me except Belanova. Plus there were all the mini-games and the overall DS aesthetic holding it back for me.

You have to be 18 or older to post on this board. There is no such thing as a game that "didn't age well".

well some games age worse. like SM64 aged like milk compared to Banjo-Kazooie

Allow me to interject for a moment to tell you that I played the games recently and I still think they're boring.

AM2R does not itself run on a custom engine like Sonic CD on Retro Engine, it's gamemaker built to replicate Metroid. AM2R isn't quite as good as other Metroid games, in order to ready it up for a proper release you'd need to do a shit tonne of work, new soundtrack, new graphics, new engine, large sections of the game redesigned, it just isn't as appealing to Nintendo as Christian Whiteheads work, on top of this Nintendo could easily outdo AM2R as long as they kept Sakamoto away from it, I honestly don't think that Sega could outdo what we have seen from Sonic Mania, it shows a level of understanding and love that Sega seems completely incapable of. It's perfectly within Nintendo's rights to shut down AM2R, I don't think they should have done it entirely that way but at least they shut it down after release.

If I were Nintendo I would have shut down AM2R, hired a small studio and made them hire the lead of AM2R as a consultant and published a proper Metroid 2 remake based off some of the AM2R content, maybe even have rereleased higher resolution widescreen and graphically/mechanically redone version of Metroids 1 through 4 and given fans the Metroid collection they absolutely deserved for the Metroid 30th anniversary.

Don't take my word for it. Just check the Youtube comments. You don't have to tell me they're wrong.

Let's talk about what's dank, though, like the introduction of the Drop Dash and bringing the shields back from S3&K. One of my favorite things from the old games was the "shield" base attack that the powerups modified. Double-tapping Robotnik and other baddies was the shit, but they never brought it back outside of the necessary-for-3D homing attack.

The fact that they brought back the shields makes me think they must have also brought the base insta-shield move back, but it doesn't look like it. I haven't seen any gameplay footage where somebody kicked it in, so it looks like it's just been replaced by the Drop Dash, which was interesting and unexpected. I wonder how you're supposed to engage it. Do you just have to hit the ground spinning in a given direction, or is there more to it?

You don't appreciate the power of Blast Processing.

Almost but yeah Sega does what Nintendon't

Actually listen to their community and not constantly shit on them C&D threat mails

Banjo-Kazooie's kinda clumsy in its physics and mobility in comparison to Mario 64, I play Mario 64 if I want acrobatics and simple objectives and I play BK if I want a more open-ended game.

They still have the standard shield though, I honestly why about that so hard, in every situation every other shield is better, they should have left it out completely.

This is a Sega board faggot, you don't criticize Sega on this board.

Oh boy, there we go.
Ready?

IT'S OK WHEN NINTENDO DOES IT

It's okay if you didn't understand what I wrote fam.

Stock shield probably confers an ability the others don't, if the double-tap instashield is still in effect. It's either that or that stock shield is in place for levels from games where elemental shields weren't introduced yet.

Would've lost their claim to the copyright because they hadn't made a SoR game in decades, and either way they gave it a couple weeks to distribute before issuing a limp-wristed C&D.

Nobody is saying that, retard.

Two of them. 'Headcannon' is actually Stealth - another prominent Sonic Retro programmer/ROM hacker, just like The Taxman (Whitehead).

Stealth previously developed E02 - a multiplat Sonic game engine, very closely mimicking S3&K and made a demo called Project Mettrix.
The cool thing is, Mettrix and E02 have been a thing seen the fucking nineties, when all the other fan games were shittily done Klik'n'Play copypasted borefests or whatever. Learning how old the advanced engine is was just surreal for me.

As an aside, Capcom did openly adopt the Street Fighter X Mega Man fan game in commemoration of the anniversaries for both franchises a while back, setting yet another milestone for the company and the industry of fan involvement and community relations.

They do have the standard shield in Sonic Mania? If so, then I'm happy. I've been asking for that since before Sonic 4 came out.

They do now, apparently. I haven't been following that at all, though, so I don't know why they did.

But they have to do it first.

Checkmate, SEGA does what Nintendo takes AGES to do.

I actually thought as soon as the countdown went up and new sites started reporting on it… That they were going to jump in and stop it from even releasing.

Every time someone says that here, it's always when it doesn't make any sense.

At least try thinking before you spew your dumb shit.

I hope you're right about it being a placeholder.

But why, it doesn't do anything that other shields do then why keep it for reasons other than nostalgia?

(checked)

You're right. The stock shield does something different than the other ones. The Elemental Shields replace the double-tap move with their own spin on it: the Thunder Shield lets you double-jump and attract rings, while the Fire Shield lets you air-dash and the Bubble Shield lets you defeat Heatman bounce.

Can't double-tap bosses with the other shields the same way, and you can't lose the stock shield.

Stealth also made a perfect GBA port of Sonic 1 (only 1 zone and special stage, but with added spindash and Knuckles), something that SEGA horribly failed at. And he was one of the first guys to made advanced Sonic ROM hacks (like putting fully functional Knuckles into Sonic 1, at a time where most hacks were simple palette/layout edits). It was like he was bending time or something, being years ahead of everyone.
He is also one of the biggest contributors to Sonic Megamix.

Taxman, on the other hand, made this Retro Engine, which was first utilized to make fangames, before becoming 'official' with a Sonic CD port (in actuality, it was just a 1-to-1 recreation of Sonic CD assets).
He's also been making highly-accurate fangames since time immemorial (google Retro Sonic, for instance), which were of a much higher standard than most contenders at the time.

So yeah, there is almost no one better in the whole Sonic Retro community than these two guys, at least in the programming department.

Oh I get it now, but that assumes they let you do whatever it is that Sonic does in that video with the standard shield on.

What, yes you can

Additionally, engaging the stock shield at the right time will let you kill enemies that are otherwise hazardous to jump on or impervious.

We must be talking about different things then. When I say stock shield, I mean the shield you get by default in Sonic 3, otherwise called the Insta-Shield. Maybe my memories' fuzzy, but I think you can use it even without having any rings. Let me double check.

Sorry about that, I'm complaining about the fact that Sonic Mania has the Sonic 1 shield that just eats 1 hit as well as the fire/bubble and spark shields which are in every way better.

Ah, okay. My mistake. You're right, they do have the stock shield, which I'm guessing confirms that they don't have the Insta-Shield, since one would make the other redundant. Hopefully I'm wrong because the Insta-Shield was awesome. It increased your hit-range by about half an inch, which mitigated your risk of getting hit for a fraction of a second, so it required precise timing and made for some really fun boss fights.

SEGA fucked like, what, the Sonic 1 HD remake and the Streets of Rage remake?

Christian Whitehead was just a Sonic fan that made romhacks and then remade Sonic CD for Sega and they loved it so much that they hired him to finish the project so they could release a remade Sonic CD.

Now he's been hired to make a legit, real Sonic game. Nintendo doesn't do this kind of shit. Sega took away at least two projects but Ninty has been even worse with some of the shit they've done.

The absolute locos

Guys.

The purity of this live reaction almost rivals the beauty of the Smash Bros Melee reveal reaction, if not actually rivals it. Holy shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=VynDxJWZ698
youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA

Either SEGA removed all traces of it off the internet or you're just thinking of Sonic 2 HD, which is still going, just at a very slow pace.

go to sleep user

I dunno about beautiful, but it was pretty nice. I'm just relieved to finally see what should've been Sonic 4.

That being said, it feels good just to hear other people being so genuinely excited about something awesome, though the Melee reveal had a lot more meat to it and a lot less meme-filled teasing. Keep it to Twitter please, Aaron.

Class and concision go a long way, so I have to give that to Nintendo. Then again, it looks like everyone's dogpiling on SEGA for having a shitty press conference and ruining what should be a momentous occasion, so Jim Sterling and his contemporaries can eat shit. This is a moment to be celebrated, not nitpicked.

While we're posting reactions here's a really good one pulled back a bit. It's good save for the audio drop in the right speaker. I get a better sense of the excitement in the room.

They gave ample time for distribution.You can get the game anywhere. No further legal actions taken. It was done to please the higher ups most likely. This game was 7+ years in the making - they could've stopped it earlier if they wanted, just like how Squeenix killed Chrono projects.
Hell, Sega even made a Steam title solely for ROM hacks. They know their fans, and to shit on them would make zero marketing sense.

I was talking about the reactions themselves. It was really nice to see so many people so happy, and the trailer and the gameplay we have kind of make me have faith for gaming again. We're getting some pretty fun games here and there and it's making me happy that I play video games and have things like this to enjoy and look forward to, y'know?

What do you think of Project Sonic 2017 though?
I know there's a lot less to discuss, but still.

It's Generations 2, what else would it be?

Oh, I know. Seeing games like this and I Am Setsuna coming to consoles again makes me want to buy a PS4, and I'm even excited for playing VR games now too after trying out a friend's Oculus. I think we're looking at brighter times, but myself and others like me need to make more time to enjoy them–difficult for a guy in his 30s looking to build his career and become independent–and drop the years of learned cynicism from being on the net all the time.

I, too, want to get a big beanbag chair like I used to have when I was 15 and just have another comfy summer of games.

Mind you I don't think Setsuna is the Chrono Trigger sequel it's touted as, but I'd be willing to sit back and give it a shot

You're right, there isn't much. It just looks like Sonic Generations 2 at a glance. They're probably going to remix what wasn't remixed in the first one in the context of a new adventure. It's probably not SA3, but I'll wait.

They specifically noted that this game is not a sequel of any kind, though.

And Sonic Lost World is Colors 2 because it has Wisps in it.

How is that game? I've been thinking of getting it myself.

Yes and Fallout 4 has over 700 guns.

One thing looks certain, though. They're going for a Days of Future Past kind of scenario. That's pretty cool. A Sonic game hasn't looked this dark since '06.

Did they say anything else? Besides, it's kinda weird that they'd bring back Classic Sonic a second time and not have it be a sequel or sorts.

We'll just have to wait and see what's different about it.

I have a rip of it and Mighty No. 9 but I haven't gotten around to trying it. I'll let you know once I do and give my honest thoughts. I'm expecting it to be sad and the battle system to be interesting.

Classic Sonic was kind of jarring and I think he should've been kept to Generations, Mania, and other future classic games, but I'm alright with him being Sonic's sidekick in it. Maybe it means we'll have some more 2d sidescrolling gameplay? I'm okay with that.

Honestly I would've rather had Knuckles or Shadow come up to help him, but hey, Classic Doesn't seem terrible. I just kind of miss when Knuckles was a cool, respectable character like he was in SA2 instead of being a clumsy comedy relief character like he was in Lost World.

We don't have too much to go off of at all, but I think the game could be fun. I got kind of a SatAM vibe from it? The "Join the Resistance" tagline made me think of the Freedom Fighters and as shit as this sounds I wouldn't mind seeing Sally Acorn and the gang showing up as canon in-game characters in it, even though people don't really want more characters and shit. I just think they'd make kinda cool additions to the game canon and, if Sally or someone showed up beside Sonic instead of Classic I can imagine that the trailer would have just as much hype or even more hype than Mania has.

It looked kind of gritty and apocalyptic but, Sonic has been like that before and I've come to adore the cheesiness of that style as long as it isn't too over-the-top like it was with Shadow the Hedgehog. Sonic seemed kind of pissed at the beginning too, which isn't something you see happen to him too much at all. It's more likely for the current Lost World-era Modern Sonic to get pissed at shit moreso than the SA2 Modern Sonic that I like the most, but even then he wasn't one to get mad.

We don't have much info to go off of, like I said, and Classic being in could actually be pretty fun. So considering the fact that we didn't see much at all other than a pre-rendered trailer, I think it should be decent at the very least, or even good. I'm looking forward to it; just not as much as I'm looking forward to Mania.

You're shitting me right? This ain't a dark game, and we're not gonna get a mix between the two either. Hell I doubt we'll GET a dark game with Roger Craig Smith as VA for sanic

Not that kind of dark, mang. I mean dark as in it looks like Eggman won, or is winning, until Sonic does something about it. The situation's dire rather than about to become dire. It's all in the lighting and the color palette for now.

Yeah they said it wasn't a Generations sequel and they said there were no plans to make Sonic Adventure 3 yet, but that they'd like to make an Adventure 3 someday. People have been calling it Sonic Resistance and I think that seems like a decent and even likely title for it.

Could be pretty fun.

Also I'm just gonna say that this is the chillest fucking thread I've seen in a while on here. There aren't even the usual problems that plague the average Sonic thread, either. It's just pure discussion; the epitome of a good thread here.

you can't fool me, Eggman is practically a loony toon villain at this point. but that's not what bugs me, what bugs me is that the Rush segments are still there. I just want the generation's 3D gameplay WITHOUT Rush segments, no one fucking likes that they're implemented in this way. Just make a fucking Sonic Rush 3. Holy shit.

also I want Yuji Naka to come back and make Sonic Adventure 3, AND ACTUALLY FINISH IT THIS TIME.

I wouldn't mind more Eggman getting mad and losing, like in the comics or when he fought Tails I think in SA1.

I'm hoping to be impressed or pleasantly surprised, like I was with Mania. Right now my curiosity is peaked as to what they'll try to do with this game. Maybe make the environments more open and exploration-oriented rather than gatta-speedy-keedy.

As for Knuckles, I just missed when he cackled at other people's misery in Sonic 3. I enjoyed him a lot more as an antagonistic trickster than as a partner, though I never minded the latter.

I like to think we're all adults here. No shame in that.

They could probably make a Sonic Rush 3DS sometime soon and play around more with merging 2D and 3D gameplay with Jet Set Radio jookies. I wouldn't mind it.

We just need to open our hearts and it'll be all right

That's so great. Everybody wanted a sequel to it but the uncertainty of it actually getting one, up to the point where everyone sees Mario thinking "Ah okay, a Mario game" but then they see Link and the Smash logo going apeshit. I love it.

Yeah I WANT to see another Sonic Rush game, I just don't like how they're handling the series now. the characterizations have been fucked up. With Knuckles being a fucking idiot, and Eggman being a loony toon villain who probably won't kill anyone. the mixture of 2D and 3D gameplay, and the fact that they're pushing classic sonic as much as possible, also I fucking HATE the new voice actors. They sound like something I would hear from Kid Icarus Uprising. I don't care that Ryan isn't as good of an action as craig, he fits the mold much better in terms of the actual sound. Craig sounds like Chucky Cheese trying to get a blow job on the A train in the Bronx from passing white kids who are on the way to see the new Avengers movie featuring Spider-Man from the Spider-Man Movie Franchise.

Fuck it, I should start playing Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Heroes, and Sonic Generations in Japanese so I can tolerate the voices in the game

s-so is that bad?

For me the voices were bad, but they were tolerable. I didn't care so much about them as I did about the game at hand, which if they were Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, I generally liked except for the Emerald fetch quests. They really nailed it with the Sonic and Tails segments in SA1 and the Sonic and Shadow segments in SA2. Wonky controls and glitches aside, I felt the speed well against the constraints and demands of the level designs, which usually didn't allow you to just go in a straight line for miles. You have to meander around, make sharp turns, look for shit, and basically navigate a 3D map instead of a 3D track. I miss that, it was good old 3D adventure platforming shit without being a collectathon. Not that there's anything wrong with collectathons

All the characters were super fucking flat in those times too, and the bad VAs didn't help them any. They were better in SA2 though.

That was always the case except in SatAM

In his defense, he seems to have gotten a lot loonier since Colors, if the Sonic Boom show is any indication. Before he was just fat.

Man, does anybody happen to have the Sonic OVA in webm form handy? I suddenly have an urge for some 90s retro Sanime.

I like Motorola.

Classic Knuckles was pretty cool, yeah. To define why I like SA2 Knux so much is the fact that he's kind of a not-so-wise monk. He's chill, serious, and passionate about protecting the world, but even then he never lets his passion get to his head. He's kind of a simpleton at times, but I think that's kind of his charm. He's a really strong character who isn't dumb as bricks, and he's a really monk-like character who isn't Ghandi V2.0. He's like the perfect mix between a strong, brutish character and a kind of wise monk character.

His line about him not chuckling unlike Sonic is kind of about him taking shit a lot more seriously than Sonic does; Sonic is always cracking jokes and smiling but Knuckles is pretty serious when it comes to fighting for good. It's one of the reasons I find Sonic and Knuckles to be a legendary team. Sonic's carefree, chill, and relaxed nature tends to come out more when paired with Knuckles mature, chill style. You really see the maturity and coolness in each of the characters when they're paired with each other, as them being kind of similar brings it out more and makes you think "Damn these guys have their shit figured out in life".

Tails was good in SA2 but he's never been my favorite; he was fun to root for with how he was kind of a youthful, boyish character with some confidence issues, and I liked how he always tried to believe in himself so he could be like Sonic someday, who was kind of his secret role-model. It's honestly really endearing to see a character who looks up to and respects their sidekick so much, almost like they're a kid finding a childhood hero. I liked him for that and honestly his VA was the best in SA2 as well.

Shadow wasn't an overly edgy fuck and was just kind of cunning, mysterious, and a little edgy instead of being sorta stupid with how MUH DARKNESS MUH MARIA he is now. Rouge wasn't some slutty thief either; she had a ditzy charm to her at first but quickly revealed that she was incredibly capable and skilled at being a secret agent and a super spy when you saw her in action.

SA2 had it's problems but I adored the characterization and writing in it, even if it did feel like a cheesy action movie at times. Eggman was actually pretty fucking intimidating in the game, too; him tricking Tails like that and trying to make him believe that he was responsible for the death of his hero and rolemodel to presumably stunt his confidence, if only out of fear for him becoming someone who could figure out his plans and dismantle his machines in the future. That's kind of jumping to conclusions though, but I got that vibe from that moment in the story.

I think kids nowadays want comedy and funny characters rather than RADICAL stuff so, they've kind of changed up the writing with Lost World to make it more like a Saturday morning cartoon with tons of jokes and silly moments for the characters. Not as much of a fan of it as I was the other stuff, but, hey, it makes sense as to why they'd do it and I'm not really the target audience so I'm pretty okay with it happening as long as todays youth enjoys it.

Can't knock the scan line interrupts trick with the faster proc to produce those sweet parallax effects, though now I kinda wish it was called JAM Processing instead.

please use archive.is/blast-processing/3015-963/

the first game was fairly slower on average compared to its sequels

Yeah I don't mind that he's loony, he's just too loony.

I'm not a fan of the Lost World 'Saturday cartoon' hijinks, but I did like Colors' witty story and dialog. Besides, those Eggman PA announcements were gold

Sonic was never good is slowly becoming my favorite maymay.

This. Kids just dont get it.

Drive to woods and eat corn out the can?

Nah, cause he looks like eggman

Yeah same. Tails jumping between being a whiny bipolar fuck and the friendliest dork you could imagine was kind of annoying. Sonic was kind of a douche at times too; he's way too arrogant and egotistical and isn't carefree and in-love-with-the-world-around-him-enough.

Again I'm kind of a fag for SA2's characterization and I feel kind of guilty for that. I wish more people would feel the same so maybe Sega would try and do something about that. 2017's trailer with Sonic looking so pissed honestly made me hype because I was imagining his SA2-self being like that; it'd take a lot to make that fucker angry, and Eggman actually winning seems like what'd push him over the line and make him boil with passion for saving the world. But eh, I think we'll get more of the current characters; not that I mind. As long as they're done well enough then, hey, fuck it, bring the changes on. I'm all for a good story, even if it changes up shit a lot.

I may like SA2's characters the best but that doesn't mean that I can learn to love the new characterization style just as much or even more if it's done right. I like Sonic's Adventure-series VA and his 4kids VA the most; both of them were legendary and perfect for him. Roger Craig Smith is good and all and he really makes it seem like Sonic has grown up a shit ton; which I don't mind. I just prefer how the older ones were handled. I can probably get used to Craig though; in fact I kind of like him, and I think he'll grow on me even more if his role is written really well.

Prepare to die of a stroke.

I only watch YouTube links, sorry.

It took them 17 years but Tails finally sounds "normal", his SA voice actors and especially the sonic heroes one was God awful.

I only watch your mom's pussy.
On youtube.
Every day, in a video that's looped for 24 hours each day.
I don't really fuck your mom or anything, i'm just obsessed with watching her saggy boring pussy all day every day.
It's not even a fetish, i'm just really bored and have nothing better to do.

YO XBOX

I was nodding my head until I read this.

I thought Sonic 2 HD died on its own.

It never died, it's just slow as fuck.

Jesse, stop. This is a good thread.

I don't see what's wrong with that video. That boss is not difficult in the slightest, and that player is using good timing and skill to finish it in a different way.

It's harder to do it that way. That's hardly broken.

Anyway, I got excites for sonic mania and went back and played through all the classics except sonic CD, and they are all still good. Sonic 2 is actually the one I found most challenging, with 3&k the most fun. I also enjoyed the sonic rush games, but never played advance. Generations was 50% a good game, and I never touched any other 3d sonic after I stupidly bought sonic and the secret rings.

I am conflicted about following Mania closely, because I am genuinely looking forward to it, but I also want to be surprised each time I enter a new zone.

Favourite zone - ice cap
Favourite music - carnival night

So these guys are just fucking awful at both Sonic 1 and 2, and just don't fucking understand the point of sonic, that means that sonic is overrated and was never good to begin with…

These fuckers need to stick with reviewing movies.

Is it bad if I'm used to Jason Griffith Sonic

the fuck you doing

Are you Spax?

Sonic Adventure or Advanced? His Heroes one sounded like a little kid to be honest. Advanced was 4kids and that's where his more rough, scratchy, cutesy voice started. As much as I love Adventures voice acting, I can see entirely why someone would think Tails sounded weird in it. Honestly as a kid I hated his voice in Adventure 2 because like, god damn, it just sounded so weird and it almost had that weird "budget voice actor" sound to it, if it makes sense. He had that kind of.. fuck, what's the word for it? "Chubby" comes to mind for some reason but I know it's not the right word. He just had some weird shit going on with the way he pronounced things and it felt kind of awkward for sure.

I find it kinda cool and charming for his character nowadays, though.

Adventure.
He sounds like a janitors kid reading straight from a paper.

Jason Griffith and Ryan Drummond were best Modern Sonics.

Martin Burke was best Classic Sonic. He's the VA for Sonic from the Sonic OVA. But then again that's just me.

If I was, I'd be reportin like no tomorrow

That's exactly what I was talking about holy shit. You actually nailed it perfectly, even though I like the voice. I think he had the voice but yeah, he could've had a lot more talent for sure.

Just haven't gotten around to it yet, that's all. I consider CD to be one of the classiscs, too

What's your stance on Chaotix?

How does this make you feel?

Makes me feel whatever.
I enjoy the good games and objectively criticize bad ones, aside from Boom, which isn't even made by sega and sonic team, past six or so games have been great.
Again, shitting on Sonic is a meme of some kind, especially for these nu male hipsters like the ones on ign, they don't care about facts and the real world as long as they can circle jerk and try to one up on another at who can shit on this franchise more furiously.

kek.
The best sonic games to come out semi recently are colors and generations and even they decent at best and are somehow worse than the sonic adventure 2 sonic stages.

Unless we are counting the racing games but those don't really count.

Half good, night stages could have been removed from the game but they needed a gimmick i guess
Excellent
Very good
best kart racing games ever created
alright game, mediocre at worst.

As i have said, last six games have been great, stay triggered IGN intern.

Are you trolling or can you not even read your own post?

Lost world isnt bad, it's just not really a sonic game. They made Super Mario Galaxy: featuring Sonic and Eggman from the Sonic the hedgehog series

You need to be over 18 to post on this board, kid.

Niger, you said the last 6 were great.
You only named 2 good sonic games.
Are you serious nigger?
This isn't grammar. Your entire argument is wrong by your own definition. That isn't nit picking at all.

>not picking up on a "featuring dante from the devil may cry series meme

hoist 'pon your own petard

Despite that, I'd wager to say it's got some sort of continuity to the previous Sonic game, like how Generations took place after Colours and such.

Since Generations ended with two Eggmans in the white world, my guess to the plot is that they both teamed up and tried conquering the world together in Classic Sonic's time, hence the two Death Egg Robots in the Debut trailer, and the only way to beat both Eggmans is to have both Sonics defeat them.

Burke seemed almost like he had a weird accent that kept slipping. He's alright (probably better than Urkel, imo) but not great.

I think there's some interview out there that says the devs weren't even considering X-Treme when they made Lost World.

It died at first because their coder was a retard, my favorite part is that this idiot wanted to implement DRM in a fucking free game. It's alive right now, however. Just check it out: sonic2hd.blogspot.com/

I hope it will be released this time. SEGA could even hire them to boost its development.

Did you expect something different from shitty YouTube reviews though? It's like expecting good review from IGN or good gameplay video by Polygon.

Speaking of which, it's very unfortunate that SUMO isn't planning to make next All-Stars game and what worse is that they dropped support for Transformed, I want more characters and maps if we're not getting sequel.

This is strange because SEGA was pleased with sales despite the game being buggy as shit on release, Wii U version especially. Good thing they managed to make PC version the best. SEGA don't even have competition on major platforms and honestly I think the game is better than Mario Kart, plus SEGA have shitton of franchises they could use.

archive.is/1psUc

I can empathize a bit with this. I enjoy humour, but I think kid's shows these days lean more towards the quick and dirty one-offs than the long cohesive narratives with characters that grow in response. Growth and conflict are recontextualized in a slice of life format rather than a long arc or overarching plot. It's more mundane and silly despite being an action adventure kind of thing.

I just posted that one to show off the insta-shield. I wasn't pointing out anything wrong with it. The comments I referred to were from another video.

Not that user, but Chaotix sure looked pretty.

The mechanic was misguided I thought, I couldn't get into it much.

Spotted the 12yo nigger

I'll never get tired of that music.

They can't do that either, not anymore, they fucking shilled for the shit awakens, it took others like avg to shit on ghostbusters for them to make a mildly negative review of it

RLM lost its fucking mojo, they are playing the shill game and wont say bad things about a movie if they are being paid to defend it

They're going back to where IGN and most other game journos were in the late 2000s/early 2010s by treating Sonic like a punching bag, except going so far as to insinuate the originals were never good. They know what they're doing, and controversy generates attention.

The last thing I care to watch these days are talking heads on YouTubes and their opinions or theories. They can go fuck themselves, I just want to watch footage that isn't bullshit. It'd be nice if Polygon had the decency to upload their exclusive game footage without having to hear themselves talk.

They should get the sonic for hire guys to do the voices……..and the script

A E S T E T I C

I realize this isn't just a big deal for Sonic but also for pixel styled games. Like the animation could set a new standard so hopefully if it gets successful we won't see more lazy pixelshit.

I don' t think the indies that spew out pixelshit even know how to create sprites bigger than the Atari era.

compare it to other games, great job reading only one bit of it nigger

The very fortunate thing of this outcome is that this was only possible due to the collective effort of Sonic 2 HD in the Sonic Retro forums. Now while that project fell apart due to LOst being difficult to work with, a couple of artists that contributed to the project (who then became Pagodawest Games) obviously caught the attention of Tax and Stealth. As much of a shame it is that project has become stagnant, Sonic Mania being born out of those collaborated efforts is something that paid off. If it wasn't for their skills shown in that project, the art and animations probably wouldn't be on this level.

>Getting games for PC Steam
Fuck that noise.

The Sonic fanbase is a blessing, with its innovative hack and fan gaming community, and a curse, with its OC and lolcow shit. When it's shit, it's really shit. But when it's good, it's really good.

Most of those faggots converted to bronies years ago.

Shit bait.

well, its the whole spectrum really, theres some moderately good and mediocre games too. Still, thats the kind of community that pumps out gems and uh.. anti-gems

Man he even had a flag and i didn`t notice

The word you're looking for is shit.

I don't think Sonic even had any measurable influence on vidya, to be honest.

WHAT COULD PAWSIBLY GO WRONG?

He helped raise another company and prove you don't need to be from Nintendo to make good games. Or specifically, you can be a successful platformer without being Nintendo. This little thing helped Sega get some notice toward their other game and of course the rest is history.

I honestly dont know who i hate more.

PCs running steam and windows are basically consoles at this point.

Consoles with all their shit are basically becoming PCs.

pick your poison!

Wasn't trying to samefag. The thread was just less active then and I wanted to talk Sanic. I didn't even try to remove my flag.

How measurable are we talking? He pretty much jumpstarted the whole animal mascot craze.

Get /fit/girl user.

I just want to go back to playing awesome old sidescrollers on the big screen.

im a buyfag. i have a pretty impressive collection actually. right now im moving so my TVs are in closets. but i have a varied amount of CRT TVs from different times to go with their period appropriate consoles. my PSX, PS2, N64 are all on my regular lcd tv until i can get my hands on an HD CRT… but im not wealthy. nor do i have room for it.

and yea… i havnt installed steam since the first time i installed HL2… and i was like "wtf is this spyware?" and removed it… then returned HL2.

if its not an iso i can mount, or an executable install package or whatever… i dont bother. i do own a ps4 but holy shit, it might as well be steam on a weaker computer.

consoles dont exist anymore. and most pc gamers are really just steam gamers. the only real gaming that still exists is emulation and old stuff.

i miss the good old days.

Good games that aren't spyware infested still exist, man. You don't have to solely emulate older games.

I can't give Capcom credit for that because it came out on the 25th Anniversary of Megaman and up until that point, Capcom had done ==NOTHING==
for it.

This is something I'd like to do, given the proper budget and living space. More than likely though I'll just invest in one good HDTV and either set up a media center with old school USB controllers, or get a high-end TV that takes VGA and/or coax inputs, then grab a handful of old consoles in decent condition and maybe rig them all to the TV with a switch box. Then the search for old games begins.

To be fair, Capcom of America was just making up for the fact that Capcom of Japan canceled everything. Sometimes you have to do with what you got and take what you get.

Now I just really want to see Capcom make a solid Mega Man X game that rivals Corrupted and isn't too much of a Zero fuckfest.

You can now try out the Drop Dash

Just because your PC can't run it doesn't mean it's DRM.

Space is really the only thing you have to worry about, most CRT, barring the ultra high quality ones are dirt cheap

its not like i had to install the ps4 software onto my computer though. its just a thing that sits next to my amplifier that i used to play bloodborne and doax3.

infact, i dont even need to make an account on ps4 or give an email address.

start with consoles you owned as a kid. and games you remember. then only buy cardboard boxes of random old shit from garage sales if you see one.

the problem with using a regular hdtv is the input delay. theres a device you can buy to help… i forgot what its called…

I remember playing the old sonic games with my big brother years ago. Maybe I'll get this one and we can play through it.

I played it on an emulator for all of fifteen minutes about fifteen years ago. I remember it had a weird mechanic that I didn't learn at the time, and I never got back to it. I'll probably return some time soon though, because it looks fun.

I remember getting a 32x promo pamphlet at some point, and remember wanting it so bad for Chaotix, some star wars game, and Doom for some god knows reason. I never got one though, and it was probably for the best. I never had money growing up, and by the time I had saved up enough for a Dreamcast by myself it was all over.

I will always feel bad about that.

I'm still sad we don't get games like Dragon Force anymore. Or that the Shining Series was so heavily redesigned that Sonic! Software Planning had to make their own company, and even then Golden Sun was only 2 good games. At least the Mario Tennis and Golf games were enjoyable.

Well, it's not like anyone could've saved SEGA at that point. They were suffering from one terrible decision after another until it finally killed them at the Dreamcast.

First it was artificially trying to extend the life of the Genesis instead of making standalone 32-bit/CD consoles, and then it was refusing to port over RPGs because "they wouldn't sell in the US", which, as I understand it, ended up killing what chances the Saturn had to compete.

That end boss for Chaotix looks metal as fuck, though. Way better than anything that came after it. Shame it was on a console peripheral that was essentially dead on arrival.

Who the fuck had one of those, most stores didn't even carry the damn thing.

By the way, if this turns out to be a success, maybe they can go back and try to make the animation look as good as or better than this.

I didn't grow up in the USA, but I don't remember the Saturn at all, as in, it doesn't even rank as something that I as a Sega fanboy would have wanted to own. I like the look of the Saturn though; I think it's a very nice looking console. Actually, every Sega main system bar perhaps the master system was absolutely gorgeous compared to it's competitors, with stuff like the ps2 and Wii being ugly as hell.

I wish you could get a Dreamcast controller with dual thumbs, as I would use it over the 360 one I have.

There's always the Twin Stick.

Stop being a hypocrite and don't pretend like you have standards, PS4 is a shitty PC with locked hardware, actual physical DRM which you can't remove, you can't even pirate games on this shit. It's like saying "just because you can't run games outside of Steam doesn't mean it's DRM". No wonder Sony is still in gaming business, Nintendo and MS can only wish for such retarded fanbase.

Saturn had a lot of good games, I liked Deep Fear a lot, it was pretty good survival horror game.

In case of Saturn it was "we need 3D games only, fuck that 2D crap, 3D is the only way". Meanwhile Sony did the same thing and Saturn could kill PSone if SoA wasn't that retarded at least in that regards. Surprisingly MS did this right with their Xboxes prior to Boner of course.

Too bad Saturn failed, it had very powerful hardware and very useful features, it wouldn't cost them shitton of money even after all their retarded decisions if they just continued supporting and selling it, in Japan it wasn't such a failure unlike in the West and third party devs still were interested in Saturn.

There was also KB and mouse for Saturn.

The animations are pretty good in that; they have a lot of special effects, but I wouldn't say it's better than Sonic Mania. Maybe by a hair at the most, but that's stretching it. I'd say it looks equal to Mania at the most but, eh, I think Mania looks a bit better. This game still looks fantastic though; I should give it a try some day.

user. I remember way back playing Sonic 3 as a wee lad.
Was there ever a good reason to use that "air-slice" attack? You know the one that is used when you press the jump button again after a jump? I know it did the same dmg but it felt like there was never a time to actually utilize it well.

Just stop.

Are you sure you know what the fuck you're talking about? Because then you might as well say Linux is DRM.

It's called insta-shield.

You could use it in many situations actually, not only it makes you invincible for a short time, it slightly increase your attack range. Otherwise, good luck with killing bottom left fucker without insta-shield. Though it was useful against spikebonker too.

It lost its meaning either way and even you proved it by calling Steam a DRM while it's not true, plus devs and publishers aren't forced to use Steamworks. People also consider Denuvo as DRM while it's just anti-tamper. We both know what's the real point, all of them serves the same purpose, to force as many goyim as possible to buy games, moves, music, etc.

Guess why? Because stupid Sega did that stupid E3 surprise launch with only a few stores, which made all other retailers pissed off. It seems the owner of one such retailer was so furious that they took everything from Sega out of their shelves immediately.

Steam is a digital store, Steamworks is DRM. You can run some games without Steam perfectly fine if there is no Steamworks just like you can run games without GOG Galaxy.

Why do you use DRM as buzzwords and then consider its actual meaning when people call PS4 a physical DRM?

You haven't lived until you've double-tapped every boss in Sonic 3.

Really, most bosses you can hit can be hit more than twice with just maintaining upward bounce or getting stuck inside their sprite without making contact with the hit box. Still, it feels good to hit them again with the press of a button, and the physics of how you bounce off are affected differently when you use the insta-shield

I'd forgotten about that. Did E3 just creep up on them or was it part of their plan?

soundcloud.com/cosmictits/astral-erection

I hope this video is an indication of their music choices for the actual game.

Possibly, but it sounds like they're leaning more towards the groovy 90s Sonic CD sound.

32X was so shit. It really doesn't look any different. Same color, same resolution, same everything. It has some extra effects and a little more ram for Doom I guess but nothing worth buying an add-on for.

Was it even really 32bit? probably just added an extra 16bit processor and it equaled 32 when you added the new CPU with the old one from the actual console. What a shit add-on.

The Sega/MegaCD was good though (even if it was overpriced).

Most underrated Sonic track?

It's a pretty groovy followup to the intro stage. Evokes a lot of Marble Zone come to think of it.

That's now how cpu architecture works. 2 16-bit processors are just that, 2 16-bits CPUs.
The Saturn had dual 32-bit Hitachis, that doesn't make it 64-bit.

The 32x had a stepped down version of the Saturn's Hitachi twin CPUs. It became the 'main' system when used, taking the Genesis' AV signal into itself and adding its own signal to make the final image for the TV (The Genesis doesn't have AV in, only out, so it's the 32x that actually connects to your TV since the Genesis has to send its signal to it).

It was badly supported, had very few games worth getting, and required a separate fucking AC adapter. It was crap regardless.

Now you're just splitting hairs.

And most physical ps4 games run perfectly fine without ever needing to log into PSN for anything, including game updates, and most, if not all GOG games do not need Galaxy for anything. Meanwhile you're still stuck with the steam client, even for the supposed "DRM-free" games, as they still have to be run through the steam client at least once for them to work properly.

This is probably why I like Aquatic Ruin Zone's music. Marble Zone probably has my favorite track in Sonic 1.

By the way, did anyone else notice the big U-shaped pits from Spring Yard Zone in Studiopolis?

The instrument used at 0:22 is the ring sound.

Why the fuck aren't more companies doing this? Those scenes are where most of the talent is (just look at the Doom modding community), and I can't see any disadvantage to the idea for either party. The fangamers/modders get to officially make the games they want, and they're getting paid for it, while the company gets fresh talent with a proven track record.

God damn, this is good. It makes me feel like Mania is gonna be an actual sequel to CD.

A lot of fans don't actually know what what's good for a series. Those people simply proved themselves so that's why SEGA trusts them.

This is exactly what happened with Doom. The Plutonia and TNT are literally fan made level packs that were so good id accepted selling them.

Is it? It just sounds like the Genesis sound chip's xylophone or wind chime instrument. checked

Apparently there's a CD version of it now.

Hot damn, I never thought I'd see the day when a SilvaGunner mashup wasn't just a meme and was unironically good.

On a second listen, as much as I love the sound of Studiopolis and would prefer a mostly Genesis sound for the game, this trailer theme is pretty awesome for sounding like mainstream dubstep. It makes me feel like this is a moment I'll remember fondly forever.

Oh I know that, but the Atari Jaguar wasn't 64 bit either.

Seems like a waste to replace the old completely. At that point, just release a new console.

Didn't the 32x have a higher quality video output than the vanilla Genesis one? I remember hearing people say the 32x was good just for that but I might be wrong.

Yeah, the whole 'do the math' shit doesn't apply to processors. 2 32 bit chips does not a make a 64 bit one.

Since the MD has no video in port, it was the only way to make it work. It basically serves as a first step in graphics drawing, and as the interface with the controllers. Sega was going to sell a standalone 32X with the name Neptune and at least we got the NepNep games out of that but it fell through.

Indeed, releasing a new console would've been the best move. And that was going to be the Saturn, with 32x as a stopgap. But then SoJ had to fuck it up and start the bad shit for SoA. Damn businessmen envious of each other… They were supposed to cooperate, not eat each others' throats out. But hey, that's what happens when a system developed in SoJ manages to sell tenfold in America by SoA because of good marketing and good business decisions.

Yeah, the video encoder chip is superior. Since the 32x also allows you to play regular MD games it does help, but you'd need to plug the extra AC adapter for that…

Guys, help.
I haven't fallen into the Sonic Cycle since Sonic Adventure 2, but I'm in it now.
That fucking game looks amazing.
pls help…
Does this mean I'm gonna turn into Chris-chan?

Sonic Cycle was broken long time ago. Get with the times, user.
Mania is shaping up to be quite promising.

Don't worry - I don't see you complaining about arms or claiming you're trans.

i HATE that hedgehog

Oh yeah, I hadn't been playing any of them, so I forgot about those decent-quality games that started coming out on the Wii.
I guess Sonic Boom is more fresh in my mind.

thats a rarity indeed! As rare as a AAA company putting out something of quality!

Anybody know what the price-point on this is gonna be?

You guys are missing a pretty obvious possibility about the nature of the new trailer.

Think about how Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood ended.

I've always adored the N64's graphics and sounds. I think the games have aged beautifully with their surreal, primitive 3d and slightly alien atmospheres. You just gotta keep an open-mind to 'em and kinda be into that sorta thing, that's all.

Not even a nostalgiafag for the 64. Started with a Windows 98 computer and an NES and eventually got a GBA in the early to mid 2000's.

I try not to think about that game. Within two hours I returned it.

Shit better run in 640x480 so I can get those delicious scanlines on my CRT

Everything ages, user. Even games.

Some age gracefully, others age… well, like Sports games.

That and I dare you to go back to playing an FPS without a mouse. Tell me that shit isn't dated

Well yes, they need to verify your licence to the software, user. I get both sides of the argument on DRM. Yes, it's obtrusive, but Steam seems to make an effort to be as unobtrusive as it can be. It's come a long way from the old days. Yes, DRM-Free would be ideal, but is unrealistic, at least in the early months of a game's release when the majority of sales occur.

Some purists still play Doom with their keyboard

But I have to admit I use GZDoom so I can have proper mouselook

The "good" part is actually recent, problem is you have a popular game series that appeals mostly to kids and early teens. The popular part already means you wont be having a lot of niche spergs, the kind of connoisseurs who take their shit seriously and create quality content, you fall into the "99% of everything is crap" trap of all popular things.

And because that fanbase were kids it took many years of donut steel OCs for those kids to become great artists who could make shit like pic related, or things like Sonic Robo Blast 2, SFR, S2HD and other pretty impressive UE4 demos after years and years of shitty hacks

Thankfully shit like mlp, freddy's, steven universe, memetale and other spergy shit siphoned most of the worse of the sonic fanbase away so now those who remain are mostly the ones that actually played the fucking game and not just idiot furfags who watched the shitty cartoons and comics

I remember years ago reading a bunch of docs about the 32X and being shocked by how fucking stupid the engineering was

Worst part is video: you got the genesis doing backgrounds and hud then feeding that analog signal into the 32X which does everything else

Who was the retard behind that? why dont just access the 68k from the genesis through the cart slot and use it as a coprocessor of sorts and only use the 32X video out?

Oh and the twin SH2 processors? that's all there was to it, there was no video processor at all it was all done through SOFTWARE which is why it sucked even more than the saturn at 3D

Whats tragic is that the idea was solid and had the 32X had good engineering and proper support it would have won the console wars because it was way cheaper than a new console

not bad not great advertised as good chrono trigger but fails to be it it's a "cheap" jrpg made in unity

I wonder what the special stages in Mania will be like, if there are any? It'd be cool to see what Headcannon and Pagoda would come up with, considering how creative and impressive the rest of the game looks so far (which is why I seriously hope that they don't just recycle Sonic 1 or 2's special stages, which a lot of more recent Sonics seem to do).

Doom has native mouse support. Still, people insist on using keyboard controls with old FPSes for whatever reason (maybe because mice weren't as commonplace?).

I guess the data bus in the cartridge slot is only fast enough to access game data rather than the video bus and game data at the same time.

Using the analog encoded video out is quite a smart way of doing it.

Why do people think their opinion is important? How retarded can millennials be?
You can point specs and interesting techniques the game tried. You can point out flaws in the game. Just saying it's boring says absolutely nothing. It says so little you're left to think the author of the post is an ADHD fuck.

Mania has got me thinking, did capcom ever confirm if they knew about Megaman X Corrupted?

JKB might've said something about it in one of his Facebook or social media posts, but if he has it doesn't show up on Google. So no, they probably don't know about it, but the fact that it's been in development this long and has a Facebook page with over 31,000 fans makes me think otherwise.

Because they hate their fanbases and think that it will damage their image while they're ruining their reputation even further when they C&D fanmade projects, not to mention that most of the time these projects could bring them more money as well. Even when fans themselves are coming to publishers and ask them to publish their games which are superior than publisher's trash they refuse to work with fans. EA with that Battlefron III build is the best recent example of it.

I'm surprised that SEGA decided to go with it though, few years ago you could say for sure that they would never allow something like that to happen. I guess it's good that Sonic franchise was heavily damaged by Boom, we would never have Mania otherwise.

There are just fans and there are people who works on mods or maps and who are better than paid AAA devs. It's not like Doom or Duke Nukem 3D modders and mappers can't make good games, even free Duke 3D Forever fan mod is better than that piece of crap we've got from Gearbox. People who have good projects behind are most of the time competent and know their favorite series very well to the point that they would make official game with passionate love, something what Taxman, Stealth and PagodaWest are doing right now.

What I'd rather say that devs themselves most of the time have no idea what is good for the series. Current Sonic Team can't make classic Sonic games nor current id and 3DR or Shadow Warrior devs understand why Duke, Doom and SW series were good in first place. The same goes for Metroid, Pray and many many other series. Most of the modders on the other hand know how to handle shit.

The same happened with Duke, by the way, DN3D expansion packs were made by fans too. I think the same situation was with SW expansion packs as well, but I'm not entirely sure.

things that nintendo isnt doing;

I don't think Nintendo cares too much about Metroid right now. The one that did was Sakamoto, and look what he did with it. Now it's handheld-only spinoff ware nobody asked for.

That's not entirely what happened. Back in '09 they made a blog post asking for suggestions for their next iPhone port and, seeing an opportunity, he made vid related to pitch his version of Sonic CD. Keep in mind their port of Sonic 1, much like the GBA port, was kinda shit, so the features he pitched made this offer hard to refuse.

The comments after that more or less unanimously said "Do Taxman's Sonic CD!!", until he deleted his video and went silent for a couple years, in which they released his CD and shoehorned its plot into Sonic 4.

Well, he hit that one out of the park.

It was worth it for Tempo.
Otherwise completely garbage addon.

Tempo has fucking incredible art design but the game itself plays poorly due to Tempo's weird movement speed and the level design not being built around it. I've heard the Saturn sequel is better.

Chaotix, Kolibri and Stellar Assault were far more playable compared to Tempo, the game is overrated for its decent spritework.

Tails' Adventure and Heroes VAs were both kids at the time, the latter coming in when the former hit puberty.

They wanted to be first to the market, trying to cash in on the 3d craze.

What's a good controller to play the android games on? My PC is broken and I bought sonic1 & 2 for my phone, but the screen tap control doesn't work too well for me.

I hope you never offer your opinion then since they're all so equally worthless, you edgy faggot.

Yes, there is such a thing. Control scheme, engine limitations and framerate are three completely objective things that could easily be improved with today's technology, causing most older games to show their age and leave you wanting more for them.

SARGON OF CUCKKAD THAUGHT ME ABOUT LOGICAL FALLCIES! I CAN PWN PEOPLE AT DEBATES NOW xDDDD. I AM SO WISE FOR MY AGE

LEEE SONIC NEEDS MORE HDR AND BLOOm XDDDDD. THIS ISN'T EVEN WIDESCREEN 4K? WHAT'S "dithering" MEAN AND WHY WON'T IT WORK ON MY IPS PANEL?

Fuck dude, you hipsters that hate Sonic because "he was just a marketing ploy meme" and "how come he doesn't go straight up when I jump on a ramp like Mario? I don't understand how the physics works" or "lele I never press down on my controller because I think Sonic needs to be on his two feet 100% of the time, why am i always getting hit?" are ALL Redditors

Fun fact: The Retro Engine compiled to Dreamcast.

feels bad man

First, nice grammar.
Second: Yes. Yes, they are. That's my whole point you stupid fuck. Opinions alone are worthless. Arguments based from facts are the ones that have value.

Aside from the fact your butthurt is hilarious enough to have prompted you to post that, my criteria is nothing special. Everybody can agree that "boring" says nothing at all.

clearly the dreamcast can't actually handle the retro engine.

I bet it can – if Taxman thought it was worth the time and effort to optimize the engine for the DC.

That build's from 10 years ago, back when the engine was still in its early stages, so a less shitty version might technically be feasible.

If the R-SDK ever got publicly released/open sourced, that is…

M8, fucking mobile shit can handle Retro Engine, why more powerful hardware wouldn't? If it was in current state Dreamcast would handle it easily.

uh, the Dreamcast is easily less powerful than most mobile devices today.

Along with "Free" as in "Statue of Liberty" and "Free" as in "Free beer" there is also "Free" as in "Free money."
If he released the source under whatever FOSS license SEGA could just take it and make a product out of it.
Instead, he's the sole owner of the Retro engine and the only one that knows what makes it tick. He has his job because of his programming skills and because of the Retro engine.

It's showtime.

Let's get down and groovy.

If you feel strongly about it, there is a pretty good open source Sonic engine. It has this dumb character swapping mechanic for no reason though. But I'm sure one could just ignore it if they were making levels.

is this the lost vikings

Holy fuck, why?

It was a thing with Knuckles Chaotix, I think. Not sure why the fuck an engine trying to emulate the Genesis games is doing it, though.