Fallout

Having played Fallout 3, which was fun, and New Vegas, which blew me away, and there being no way in hell I'm touching Fuckup 4, I decided to go back and play the older games. The original was very… underwhelming. It has its moments, but it's VERY clunky. I feel like maybe a quarter of my total playtime would have been shaved off if I didn't have to deal with the game's quirks.

Did I do something wrong or has this game just not aged well? Is the 2nd game any better?

It's a meme game, much like Morrowind and Deus ex, you were never supposed to play it. You were just supposed to praise it endlessly because of Nostalgia.

I actually really liked Deus Ex. Barring the graphics and nonsensical default control scheme, it feels like something that could have come out today and been just as good (except the voice acting, though I think it gives the game personality).

Morrowind was totally unengaging, though. Maybe I'll give it another try when OpenMW hits a 1.0 release.

How wrong you are. Opinionated little shits like you should never feel as if they could post here.

Just how much are you going to complain about 1997 games not being up to 2016 standard exactly?
A you…special?

Just play Fallout 2 and prepare for one of the best RPGs ever. 1 was definitely hit or miss with many, and I admit this as someone who loved it.

I'm guessing you haven't played Fallout 3 in a long time?

There are games older than Fallout which are entirely playable today like Doom or Eye of the Beholder. Even if we're sticking with strictly isometric CRPGs, Baldur's Gate still holds up and it's nearly as old. Fallout made choices that would have annoyed me even if I had played it on release. I might have been more forgiving then, but not playing it now.

It has been a few years since I last played 3. I view it less favorably after seeing New Vegas completely shit all over it, but at the time it was fun. Honestly though, I'd rather replay 3 than 1.

I've heard that 2 makes improvements, which is good. I'll probably mod it beforehand. I played through 1 basically vanilla + hi-res, which might be part of the problem.

Tell you what friend, it'll only get worse.

Didn't get the fanmade patch that fixes most of the bugs? Probably won't make a difference for you, but make sure you don't make the same mistake with 2.

Can't help you with mods, mind you. Besides bug fixes and high resolution, I think it's at its most perfect. That doesn't mean it's a perfect game, just a perfect Fallout 2. Does that make sense?

FO1 is one of those games that depend heavily on how much you can handle dated gameplay. Personally I love it but I can understand why some do not.

2 helped solve some of your complaints but has its flaws with pop culture references etc. I also didn't enjoy the ending as much as the conflict was much more black and white. Still worth playing in my opinion. Try it and see if you bounce off of it.

Morrowind isn't exactly a 'meme game' (whatever that is) but it is indeed somewhat less spectacular than claimed. Gothic 1 and 2 are far superior. Deus Ex is the tits and you're a fucking idiot to claim otherwise.

Have you tried VTM:B yet?

Deus Ex was a masterpiece ahead of its time
Vampire The Masquerade is boring filth only lesbian fetishists ever liked

Let me guess, you're gonna say it has a masterful story, even though it's just you get blown up by the biker guy from the beginning when you open the coffinif I'm wrong, it's been years since I played that piece of shit and I refuse to reinstall lesbian propaganda, and when someone mentions an RPG with a good story like Planescape Torment you're gonna shitpost because no lesbians are in it.

There's one single instance of possible lesbianism in the entire fucking game user and that depends on the gender of your player character. How you can blow that out into lesbian propaganda is beyond me. Claiming it is the main reason people like the game is just outright bullshit.

One instance is one too many you goofy /u/nuch.

Alright, review it. I won't even nitpick all your points like a faggot, just say what you liked about it even though you're only in it because you always dreamed of watching a lesbian fuck your dream wife, who would divorce you and just fuck your shit up. Go ahead.

But Fallout 2 has lesbian sex too and you claimed it was 'one of the best RPGs ever'. Hell you can even marry her…

Oh fuck right off, no you can't.
Yep, it's a shitposter. Go back to Reddit, c/u/ck.

I feel exactly the same. The interface was designed by autists for autists who enjoy nano-management and equipping every item to find out its stats instead of being able to see it in advance like a sane game (Fallout is not the only one to do that). But what really brings my blood to a boil is the AI of the companions. I feel like a babysitter for suicidal retards. At least the game is fairly short.
So much this. I had a bug where Dogmeat blocked a door to me and I couldn't talk to him for some reason. I was literally stuck forever in a cramped room with a fleabag and two retards. The only way I managed to get out was by hitting him to provoke a fight, backing away to lure him away from the door, then open the door and run out of the map. Luckily after crossing to the new map he was no longer hostile and I was able to continue. I guess that one time the AI's retardation worked in my favor.

They can, you have to give them the armor and then tell them to change their armor. Maybe this was added by the fan patch though, I'm playing with Fallout Fixt.

Baldur's Gate came out in 1998 and had none of the problems. You could control companions directly, items were displayed on a grid, you could right-click them to see what they do before purchasing, you got to see all the stats in the item description, and passing items around was just simple drag & drop. And because there was no autistic fiddling around the developers were able to actually put the challenge into the game rather than the interface.

Fallout made a bunch of godawful design choices, but most of them are fixed in 2, including your gripes about companions. Items you pick up also go to the top of your inventory.
IIRC you need both INT and Speech for some choices. There's plenty of checks.
You don't need to pick again if you haven't manually saved or loaded the game since your last quicksave.

There's none if you play as a dude
Pic related.

Yeah, the NPC patch. Doesn't Fixt add shoving companions away as well?

C'mon man. Although VTMB is fairly degenerate/snowflakey shit… It's a well constructed game. Basically DX for the Buffy crowd.

I hope you realize you're retarded now, c/u/ck. And of course I hate yuri, I'm against rape.

I scared you off once, 1d9d15. I'm not gonna bother triggering you twice.

Whatever, homo. You never even mentioned what you disliked about the game other than the alleged lesbians. The gameplay and writing are solid, there's plenty of intrigue, and it's one of the few modern RPGs where characters can actually lie to you.

Epic, simply epic

Why don't you just go back to Cuckchan if you hate being a male so much?

You seem oddly adamant on this angle. Did you get your wife stolen by a lesbian or something? Wew, what a cuckold.
t. Guy who apparently skipped all the dialogue
Oh, right, so you're just butthurt that someone likes something you don't like and throwing a temper tantrum. Carry on, then.
Intrigue as in political intrigue. Besides the faction conflict, there's all the minor players in LA looking to grow their power and threaten the prince.

Yeah Fallout 2 is waaaayyyy better than the first one

Oh yes it would totally be my fault if my wife was raped. I don't do marriage fam.
GET FUCKING BODIED

It's alright most states still don't let you people get married.

I like Morrowind, elder scrolls gameplay was never good but Morrowind had some god damn heart.

I fucking won man, I own your ass. You call me daddy now.

What else would I call it but a temper tantrum? You simply stated your opinion without any arguments and then called anyone disagreeing with you a samefagging cuck.
What the fuck are you even raving on about.

People who claim Fallout has aged badly are only partially correct: It was clunky and inconsistent as fuck even when it came out, just compare it to something like Darklands.
People only like it because of Fallout 2 and it's Lucky Star style reference based humor and over the top gore.

I like it because it's a proper RPG. Choices matter and there are so many ways to end the game.

That isn't me faggot but hey, keep deluding yourself.

You're projecting your feelings. Also, the only opinion spewer here is you.

Lesbians rape women. That's how more join them. Jesus you're so emotional you don't know how anything works.

That's "daddy" to you, my new bitch.

Hey retard, >>>/9gag/ is that way.

Fags not welcome

Nah man, if you want to show your "cred," you gotta go with >>>/digg/

Nah I just like dominating bitches like you.

Na not me. tbh I don't even know what lesbo shit you're referring to.

It's the hub-mission-lightrpg-action structure I'm shilling for… and i wish more games had/would use it.

t. 1d9d15

Well, that or the story. I still think the Master is a cool villain, better than anything the recent games have come up with.

At first I was thinking you were talking about the Vampire the Masquarade Redemption, but then read again. Wonder how many anons actually played it…
sage for offtopic

Nigger I don't care about your drama with VtmB/lesbianism or whatever.

Someone give me a list of other games that utilize the same DX structure.

That's it as far as I know. Dishonoured doesn't have enough RP elements for me to count it and arguably doesn't have hubs either but that's more of a personal thing.

Oh boy oh boy, I wonder how many threads I can talk about my Christian based morality which I only hold because I've realized I'll never lose my virginity today!

Oh and maybe SS, SS2 and EYE but they aren't exactly the same hub-mission-action-rpg type of games you're after. It's a small genre because it's next to impossible to phone it in: it's just as expensive to make one badly and making one well requires a talented team. You've also likely played SS2 anyway.

Moral relativist please go.

t. a virgin who is proud to let Becky fuck women he likes because he's ashamed of being male

Doom, Fallout, Final Fantasy, are all meme franchises that were never good

Waste of dubs on a hipster bait. Summer treating you alright?

Bait or not, shut your fucking mouth

t. a virgin who is mad at anyone fucking anyone

A-user I…

Balder's Gate is Trash

I can understand disliking FF and even Fallout but Doom? Never good? Even if you think it's aged badly there's a reason it inspired an entire fucking genre. Wolfenstein 3D is a better example of a game that really shows its age and is worth mentioning only as a curiosity rather than playing.

t. the new king of projecting cucks

Why are you here

Multiple people calling your bullshit its a common thing when you have terrible taste user, care to explain why its a bad game?

Boring yurishit. If that's not a good explanation, that's your opinion. There, you're done, bye.

Just because Yakuza is better than Bloodborne you go on this rant

Remember suicide is always an option

Pls kiddos, i played this trash on release. Your hipster poser opinions are worthless compared to mine.

what did he mean by this? Also it might be. Never played a Yakuza game but fuck I want to.

t. someone who parrots opinions

Still waiting for your reasons on why the game is bad, stop spewing buzzwords and prove your points faggot

Morrowind has the best UI and game breaking customization ever existed in an RPG game. The world building and design (terrains, buildings, dungeons, ecosystem, etc) is absolutely amazing too. Other than the sloppy RNG (which still isn't quite as sloppy as Fallout 1 and 2), there's literally no reason to hate Morrowind.

No, you're gonna have hurt feelings like the useless cunt you are. You don't make demands because you're my bitch.

What did he mean by this?

Superior quests, superior NPC, but the world is way too tiny and not memorable. The combat might be decent but controls is shit.

Your reply.

For morrowind: lack of miss animation that makes the combat looks unappealing even if it works. I don't like the dialogue RNG.

For fallout: unforgiving as fuck RNG. Like, holy shit. 100% small guns skill and I still missed all the time? I had my power armor on and I still got btfo by weaker enemies? This is why I hate turn based combat.

You would fit there better than on Holla Forums. Even Holla Forums is closer to your baiter powerlevel.

Both are shit. If they were action RPG, they'd probably be a lot better.

That's a pretty fair summary user. The lore in TES (Morrowind included) is far and away the best thing about it also.

I see you projecting. Here's your (You), so the meme goes.

Are you going to make this a challenge, or are you just totally submitting?

Nice literal brony meme, faggot.

What made you the obnoxious shit you are today? I'm interested in psychopathology, so share your experiences, user.

Will filtering IDs ever work here?

user, no, thats not how things work.
You seem under the delusion that you are being funny/witty/whatever, so ill explain it to you again: unless you prove your points you're just another underage faggot screaming maymays who is worth nothing.
Again, prove your points or stop responding.

I have no idea what you're talking about, I didnt even max small guns and I blasted the entire game with the smg

My experience comes from years of hurting your feelings. You're my bitch.
Blocking is SJW shit :^)

It's not about being funny, it's about kicking the shit out of you for having opinions. And feelings, for that matter.

Your dick is smaller than an underage's, by the way. You're my bitch so don't tell me what to do. That's not how it works.

Wow, summerfags are sure on rampage…

Have a nice day Sally, see you in Church!

You're having a mental breakdown? Holy shit I literally own you at this point, might as well get a deed to make it official.

Every fucking time. Back to Reddit with you.

Yeah, I like how every race and place have a history behind them. It was when Todd was still a vigorous passionate young dev who took part in everything, including writing some of the quests and lore.

Skill maxing is 200%, right? Well you don't have to, but the level progression is painfully slow, so getting 100% alone is hard. Shooting enemies in the eyes is the only thing that works in fallout.

"…" means reddit? Wow. Either you're trying to fit in too hard or there some plebbit meme I missed because I, dunno, don't visit reddit?

It's general autismspeak, to be fair. I just picked Reddit because I had a feeling it would trigger you.

How people have fun in F3? As side from raped lore gameplay was boring and dull.

They pretend to be pedophiles and LARP ingame. That's how.

It isn't as buggy as NV, the gunplay is somehow a bit better too although it isn't saying much. And the level design, aside from the boring subways, ain't bad at all, unlike the messy NV. The atmosphere is nice, I like the green filter even though it kinda gets tiresome. The NPC's are indeed dull though.

I liked it for being able to play a retard, just like F1

It's rare to see a game with enough lore to keep a board semi-alive certainly.

Is there any big-name dev that hasn't sold out? Even RWS seem to have pussied out of their school shooting ending to Postal.

Dude, I quit Darklands because I couldn't make my party go up the stairs. Talk about clunky. I'm a casul, I know.
Also who the hell plays with the default characters?

Todd just stopped being a project leader after Morrowind. He has been credited as the executive producer since Fallout 3 or Oblivion. All he does is watching over a project, pretty much. Not much direct intervention from what I imagine.

Hey, did you hear? Primm has a new sheriff. I got the laser pistol combat sights but when I try to mod my laser pistol the mod isn't available. Why?

It's for the GRA laser pistol.

Whoops, meant for

That's really fucking gay. I wouldn't be surprised if you were the user who posted pic related. Either way, the way you insult people arouses me rather than infuriates me for some reason.

So an ideas guy that also handles marketing? Funny to think it was actually better when he was directly involved.

I like Morrowind, but I wish the TES series had taken the "choices matter" approach at this point.

You can choose what kind of factions are in power, or how people feel about you, but nothing significant like the Fallout games, or even kinda take what Daggerfall did with its consequences and amplify it

Are you running out of comebacks? That's unfortunate. You are no longer entertaining.

right

Yeah, I do too.

I was purely talking about gun physics.

NV has it worse.

Right, because if there's one thing an RPG shouldn't do, it's give the player freedom of choice.
-
Thanks to those who didn't take the bait. Fallout 2 is next on the chopping block.

wow, what a shithole of a thread. hope you're proud of yourself OP.

Try it with MIB88 or at least with the rest patch.
And this is actually one of the better recent threads since not everyone in it is a dipshit baitfag

>several more (Throwing, Barter, First Aid/Doctor you only need one, never both, Repair) are almost useless
These are problems that are apparent in the character building process. These should have been obvious when they started designing the basic systems of the game.

Unarmed is probably the best way to play Fallout 2. They fixed the skill be letting you become a Kung-Fu Hustler. Upgrade to Powerfists in the late game to keep punching things to death.

Unfortunately, the game's combat is still slow and dull. They removed magic but didn't give you any options to compensate for the removal. Every battle is effectively you targeting an enemy or their eyes/groin with your favorite weapon. Occasionally you'll toss a grenade or use some stimpacks. That's it.