Ps3 Stuff

Is this console even worth investing in?
My friend said I could have one of his spares, but no games. I have never really checked into the catalog for it.

Ps3 Thread/Recommendations.

Get CFW on it and play some free shit.

Yes, yes it is worth investing it.

Best model for CFW?

whats the best model for CFW? Been seriously looking into selling my 360 and all its games for one. People are selling it for something like $180+ which is an immediate no from me.

You could modchip your 360 too, i've done it with mine.

You forgot
Where are my Armored Core games with 60fps? Where is Demon's Souls, for fuck's sake? PS3 has plenty of good games, but dear god they run like garbage.

ehh. the 360 recently RROD'd again and i honestly dont want to deal with that shit anymore. PS3's werent built like shit from what i hear.

pfft thats all of 6th gen.

The PC thread is two blocks down.

I'm not hurr durr race, nigga, I play on everything.
That's why I said I would be happy if we got DeS on PS4 with good framerates.
People will buy it like hot cakes, I can't grasp why sony still didn't do it.

Demon's Souls
LittleBIGplanet 1 and 2
MGS4, but I guess that also got a release on Youtube.

Games i still play on it after all these years:

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
GTA IV
Gran Turismo V
Red Dead Redemption
Guitar Hero III: Legends Of Rock

It has Drakengard 3 and Nier as well as the first two on the PSN.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what the fuck is CFW? and its the 2nd model of the ps3 and I heard that those cant be modded? what do I get with modding it?

But I also don't mind buying games, just wondering what are some good exclusives I can get besides Demon Souls and Neir

Custom Firmware. Basically sets up a system to let you use homebrew and play pirated shit (it's how the PSP got so notorious as a piracy platform, namely because of how lax the security was). With the PS3, it's a bit more annoying, since as of now you need a model that had 3.55 OFW or below on it at some point to put it on there (preferably it would still be at 3.55 or earlier, though you can have a system that had 3.55 but is past it flashed back to it, but that's an extra expense). You'd have to double check what the actual model number is and see see what the earliest OFW it had was.

Still been trying to put together a graphic for worthwhile PS3 games based off what other anons have said they'd like to see on it, since some of the existing ones have issues. This might be of use to you still, but take it with a grain of salt as it probably could use more refinement. Not all of this is exclusive either.

Also, Nier's not even exclusive, as it's on the 360 as well; in the west both versions are based on the JP 360 "Gestalt" version (with Papa Nier) rather than the PS3 being "Replicant" (with Brother Nier) here as well.

Xept he's telling the truth

Ever tried playing Bayonetta or Red Dead Redemption on PS3? Multiplats and console exclusives are almost always going to be better on 360.

Bayonetta was patched to mostly fix that issue.

What year is it?

For some reason this reminds me of a Genesis/Mega Drive list I saw about a month ago. Are you the same user?

Yes.

Current Year?

the demon's souls framerates aren't a particularly heinous issue. Never gets as bad as dark souls. It's not desirable but it's not some horrendous tragedy that renders the game unplayable.

Does GTA IV run better on this or Xbox?

xbox 360, but if you want high performance in gta 4, the pc version is the best one.

The recommendations in this thread so far are solid. Get the Yakuza games and pick up some good PS2 games from the eshop if you haven't played them in a while.

Yakuza, Kingdom Hearts, Blazblue, UMvC3, Puyo Puyo vs Tetris, inFamous, Project Diva

Huh? How can you compare them if they're exclusives?

Like these anons have said, CFW really makes the PS3 shine. As far as best model goes it depends
These two are the only hardware BC consoles. I own a the former, which out of the box comes with 20gb but Ive put a 1TB hdd in it and 2TB (which I use for other things as well) USB outside. These ones are great if you want a all in one (PS1+2+3) Playstation. The PS2 games look nice in higher res (much better than PS2 with composite). The downside is that these are prone to failure (overheating). Im lucky enough that mine hasnt kicked the bucket but I try to keep it in good condition (regular cleaning, no more than 2-3 hours playing straight, fan control etc)

No longer prone to failure but no longer have access to PS2 titles unless you go through the Classics hacks. Compatibility is very spotty however.

Chances are you'll have to flash the PS3 as 3.55s aren't particularly easy to find. Dont bother with superslims as only a few of these came out with 3.55 or lower out the box.

Bought one a few months ago. I have no regrets. There are a few things the 360 does better, but overall the CFW is god sent.

Reminder that the libretro goyim updated Retroarch on PS3 to 1.3.6, and it seems to work quite nicely (with XMB menu and sheeit)

As soon as I have some money, I'll get my PS3 CFW'd, and buy a 1TB HDD, and two Hori Fighting pad Minis for some Jojo HD action with my bros

Forgot video

Play the Yakuza games on it, except for Dead Souls unless you become a fan of it.

Start with 3 and work your way up. It has a feature that helps you catch up on the first two games storywise anyways

Will you be covering PSN titles on your worthwhile PS3 games chart?

Not the user you're replying to, but it seems like necessity. Games like Hard Corps Rising, MvC2 HD and SFIII Third Strike Online are god-tier

How lively is Demon Souls multiplayer nowadays?
I never played it much, so tempted to start now.

It supposedly died a couple of months ago.

I am, but there's a slight issue with trying to decide how to do so, especially for games that do have a physical release elsewhere in the world, but are sadly digital only in the west. Not sure whether to just use a JP cover art for those and put them in the main section with a "*Digital only in the west*" tag, or just have an entire section for PSN games, regardless of whether they have a physical print out there somewhere.

a digital only tag would be nice. There's also games that can only be obtained through gameshare now, such as the PSN version of Mahvel 2 or the Scott Pilgrim vs. The World game.

The big issue is that while games that did see a physical release somewhere have an actual official cover to go off of, ones that were digital only regardless don't. And while I could use splash screens or something as the image rep for those ones, that would require an entirely separate section due to a change in dimensions of the images compared to the front covers, and could get into various issues of "why isn't Yakuza 5 in the PSN section when it's digital only in the US" or "Why is Yakuza 5 in the PSN section when it has a physical moon release for importing?"

Honestly a bit of a problem I've still yet to work out (be it for the PS3, Wii/Wiiware, and Vita). Most of what I've done these for have been for older systems where the games on them had to be physically released somewhere in the world.

I'm probably going to get a ps3 in the future to softmod. Are there hax for the other versions of the ps3 that allow's backwards compatibility, or is the fat the only option for that?

>found out how to fix it new optical drive installed
I never bothered to haxor it to 3.55 FW