UT4 is LITERALLY the only good modern competitive online game out and definitely the only good multiplayer FPS

UT4 is LITERALLY the only good modern competitive online game out and definitely the only good multiplayer FPS.

Prove me wrong
Protip I want to be proven wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

epicgames.com/unrealtournament/#splash
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

kys tbh fam

UT99 is far better and has more players right now. They only care about their shitty assfaggots game anyways.

Its true

Gran Turismo 5

I said modern user.

What is wrong with the gameplay of ut4 right now, or is it just a case of ut99 is the more finished product? Note that I haven't played either for years and would like to get back into it.

It's only real issue is that it updates slowly.

They were fun when they were all FFA deathmatch and no matchmaking shit.

It's just shooting at people online
It has no story
It has no interesting gameplay additions
It has no charismatic characters

It's just shooting like every single FPS game has been for the past 20 years
What the fuck is the point of playing this? How can you not get tired after a few hours when the novelty wears off?

Found the game for you.

WUT

Or how about

You don't know what you're talking about do you?

Why are you posting here and not on reddit?

Go level your Destiny warlock, little boy.

No I need something to enjoy a multiplayer game that isn't the same gameplay I've seen a hundred times before. If it can't give me good, new, and interesting gameplay then why the fuck should I play it if it doesn't even have interesting lore or story?

jesus nigger, do you really enjoy playing the same thing over and over again?
What are you? Autistic?

Probably the best part about UT3 was the vehicles

Wow user, it's not like that is true for every shooter ever.
Instead of caring about the details that make a game better/worse you are mad that it is people shooting each other with no gay romance sub plot inside.

like?
What makes UT4 and all the other shitty shooters or MMOs around right now so special? What kind of amazingly sound mechanics do they have?

You're telling me you're not just shooting people? What makes this game so amazing? I mean give me anything at all that makes it objectively original and worth playing and I'll be on my way

Why is that a bad thing casual?

Sorry it doesn't have uneeded bullshit pilled in like your MMOs.

Because it's boring and I've been doing it for 20 years.
Are you for real right now or are you just spouting buzzwords?

Maybe you shouldn't be playing videogames user.

So you have no argument as to why this particular mechanic is good and you resort to buzzwords and ad-hominem or derision to prove your point.

Well, that's pretty good user, maybe you might want to go to a site that is more of a echo chamber, like reddit or tumblr, so that you don't get triggered this much by opinions that differ from yours.

But hey listen, I'm not an asshole, if you manage to come up with anything that makes multiplayer shooters marginally obectively better than they were when I started playing them a decade ago, then you're free to say it.

Do I really need to explain why shooting people can be fun in a videogame?
Have you never played a videogame?

Jesus user. Mario is horrible, it's just JUMPING ON THINGS

This is not an argument. I want to know what makes shooting at someone in UT in 2016 different from shooting someone in UT in 1999.
Why is it better? Why is it different? How can you possibly play the same fucking game for this long without getting bored?

Do you just like the shiny new graphics? Do you like the fact that you can drop hats?
Please tell me, I'm dying to know.

well memed kid

Oh, I bet you would still be playing mario if they had just released the same first game over and over.
But hey, guess what, they changed it! They added new things that changed the game! Oh wow!

Is it finished yet? I have been keen to give it a go but don't want to beta test.

Ok user. I know you are under age and have ADHD so you can't do one thing for very long but the reason a lot of people like shooters is so they can shoot things. I know casuals want their romance options and skinner box gun/skin unlocks and leveling up systems but for those with a brain those make the game worse, not better.

I wonder user.

But user, it's just jumping.
NO STORY
Just Jumping. How can I be entertained by that?

Okay listen, you just seem to go back and repeat the same buzzwords without actually having an argument, so I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here.

So… You want DLC?

You do realise that I never mentioned story being the only thing I care about? If you had actually read my post instead of sperging out like the retard you are, you would've noticed that I mention additions to the gameplay, as well as story elements.

But nah, better not break off from your heard mentality, I'm sure all the RPGs in the world would be much better without any story or lore.

I mean shit, can you imagine Baldur's gate without a good developed story? Oh wait you don't, you have Dragon Age! Man that sure is a good game, really shows how story isn't important at all in games.

Oh, wait actually, what if Fallout was just an FPS without the setting, massive lore, the interesting factions and the really well written story, I'm sure that would be a great game.
I forgot actually, you do have that. It's called Fallout 4, and despite being mechanically superior to previous entries, it's an absolute dogshit of a game because it has writing comparable to a 5 year old's.

You sound like a child parroting someone else's opinions you've heard.

This is the best bait I have seen in weeks.

Nicely done.

Guess what retard. Some shitty ass multiplayer FPS games now have story, lore and factions. You will feel right at home with your 12 year old friends.

This isn't COD underage. You can't just add new guns to an Arena shooter.

saying that about a game with a fov like that is pathetic

Really? Any of them that actually expand the story behind them?
Would love to hear what they are.

But you said that's what you liked. And they did it. In every UT up until now.

Not as DLC stupid. You would have to make a completely new game to do that without breaking the game.

Hey user I enjoy shooting at people because I like using my aiming skill to hit things with interesting guns.

Guns like a M4 rifle or AK variant aren't that exciting to me, but I like shit like rail guns or big fuck off rocket launchers. I tend to die in three seconds with battlefield or CoD, but quake and UT I can at least run around for a minute and get more than one kill before I die myself. I like the alien/Gothic feel to those games more than a realistic shooter, and it just seems cooler to me that shit is dripping skulls and acid… In a 90s kind of way. The games seem faster, so you don't have to walk through a map to get to the action, as the action is happening all around you. Honestly it sucks getting sniped as I walk out into an open room, whereas in quake or ut I have to battle people rather than just get lucky and hit them first.

I like death match rather than team based stuff, too, and I like seeing how high I can get each round. I can stand still in battlefield or not get a single kill and still win the round. It's a rush to have your performance solely depend on your shooting skills (even if I'm not that great).

Why? Because of balance? You do know you can balance things without making a completely new game right?
You don't seem very informed at all in what you're talking about.

No you idiot. Because there is a certain limit to how many guns you can put into a game. There is a reason most Arena shooters have 9 to 10 guns max.
Of course you would know this if you actually ever played a shooter made after 2007.

So it would be balanced to have a DLC gun in an arena shooter, even though some people would not get to use it, and others would? It would just be cosmetic, in that case, otherwise totally game breaking.

Sure kid. Have you tried the amazing memewatch? You can read for the days the intriguing backstory of all the stronk progressive characters, its really deep.

You can try Evolve, after waiting a few minutes to get into a match you can hear the characters speak a lit bit about their story with each other, really intersting sutff, adds like a totally new layer to the game, you will crave to wait more to get into new matches and hope you can hear a new tid bit of background thats like super relevant for the gameplay.

There is also Dirty Bomb another game with lots of chacarters with so much to say, like real life lessons, you will want to just forget the game itself and hear what the charcaters are saying.

But lets not stop here, if you are okay with other genres you can try DOTA. Amazing game, hundreds of charcaters with so much lore. You will never stop reading their amazingly important backstories.

Hes even posting Simpsons and smug, goddamn, redirect him to Doom, tell him to fuckoff and just stop replying

haven't you already made this thread last week ?

Halo 5's MP and map editor is actually really fantastic. Both are getting free PC ports too

What in the everloving fuck is happening here? Post arena shootans that actually have players, no Reflex because that got microtransactions while removing the possibility of SDK.

Xonotic exists
So does Red Eclipse but it has regenerating health

Agree, they felt really smooth and well-made unlike in UT2004. I liked the revamped Onslaught mode too, the ball prevents these awful matches where the victor is decided after five minutes and everyone has to wait until overtime because holding your opponent's primary for longer than ten seconds is impossible if you aren't playing against retards.

Why did the rest of UT3 have to be so bad? The game had some strong points but it just isn't as fun as '99 or '04.

No point in even mentioning it then.

'no'

there's a lot of maps nigger what are you talking about

Every time I want to play UT4 I always end up in a shitty looking arena map

I wish more multiplayer FPS games would go back to the old school way of arena shooters: no loadouts, no killstreak bullshit that break the game.
The problem would be how to keep the same number of people after a few months.

because the game is unfinished and instead of making you wait for the content you can play on empty level meshes while authors are taking their sweet time adding textures and decals

Sorry user, multiplayer games need a playerbase before you can call them good. Otherwise, why wouldn't I be playing CPMA right this moment?

Nope.

What is wrong with that?

lol noob

What the fuck did you just about me, you little bitch?

ahaha stay salty kido

ur noob and a fagget

You misspelled Dirty Bomb

the only dirty bomb here is what that girl on the left is going to drop when im done fucking her in the ass for 6 hours

Xonotic but other than that I absolutely agree

I just wish they'd finish texturing the other maps, not because I'm a gwafixfag that cares but so they can finally say the game is out of pre-alpha so people will actually play it with me.

But I will say this game is fucking gorgeous, the new Titan Pass looks ridiculously good. Favorite map in terms of gameplay is definitely Plaza though, it feels pretty badass to jump from where the flag is down the tall hallway in front of it with everyone shooting shit everywhere.

splatoon is better

Because it gives you incentive to leave combat and hide like a bitch while you wait 10 seconds for your health to come back, whereas in a real arena FPS you gotta go scour the map for health pickups which the enemy knows you're gonna do so they might try to intercept you at one and you have to deal with this.

amateur talk right there holy shit, please talk more about what you think a real arena fps is

Are you seriously going to defend regenerating health in arena shooters? Go back to COD and Halo you faggot.

lol are you retarded or something

Xonotic sucks dick, nobody plays it, fucking kill yourself. So sick and tired of you shilling that garbage game in every fucking FPS thread, fuck off.

when did i ever mention xonotic, are all pc gamers this retarded these days

Oops. Regenerating health is cancer.

I actually meant to reply to
What is wrong with double tap to dash?

see

Good job getting your facts wrong in the beginning 50 seconds of the video.

Why is nobody playing this? The game is damn good.

No advertising and it is still really early.
Mark has tried to get us to all play games together. Someone here should just start a server and play capture the flag. It would be a lot of fun.

He mentions Doom later on in the video.

I keep forgetting this exists, I've never once heard any mention of it outside of Holla Forums

I wonder if they used substance designer?

Well UE4 has a built in material editor that is pretty comparable to substance for real time rendering (focused on shit you can do in real time rather than stuff like super expensive SSS).

That was just an image of a bunch of modern shooters, I don't think he meant to say that numoomdood has regenerating health.

We've a thread, server, and schedule.

there's nothing wrong with competitive games, it's just that nowadays it's a marketing term for "not actually skill based at all and it was never considered at any point of development, we just want the people who don't play video games audience by making a casual shooter with 0 content and grid maps while we throw microtransactions on the side"

burden of proof faggot

Prove me wrong faggot.

It's just shitposting at people online

It has no story

It has no interesting forum additions

It has no charismatic posters

It's just shooting like every forum has been for the past 20 years

What the fuck is the point of posting here? How can you not get tired after a few hours when the novelty wears off?

After reading through this thread the thing that makes me happy is that people are still playing unreal 99. Downloading that now. Feels good man.Thank you for letting out that bit of info guys.

are you talking about dodging? because that's been a mechanic since UT99.

This

You're going to give me shit for this but I'm having more fun with Overwatch than UT4.

Right now the big problem I have with UT4 is that it's pretty much UT99 with pretty graphics. I already played UT99, I already played Quake 3, I already played the same style of arena shooters since they were a thing.

I played the Overwatch beta and I fell in love with it, character design was creative, gameplay was balanced, teamwork was required and it's filled with waifu material.

I wish that Epic Games, instead of just copypasting UT99 gameplay, would at least build and expand upon the good mechanics of 2004 and 3. That's pretty much the big issue with every new "arena shooter revival" game that has come out during the last 5 years.

Games like Toxxik or Ratz Instagib attract the same people that played Quake3 or UT back in the day, they will play for one to two weeks, get bored and then they will abandon it and go back to complain about Arena shooters being dead.

Arena shooters are dying because no one makes any attempts at innovating, they just rehash the Q3 or UT formula and they don't make any effort at attracting new players to keep the community alive. The only people keeping Arena shooters alive are nostalgiafags who will complain when a game isn't a carbon copy of Quake 3 or UT2004 and when it is they will get bored within one or two weeks.

It's unfinished.
Movement is still kinda wonky.
No vehicles.
No waifus for now.
Epic plans on selling maps AND mods, like the Jews they are.

Are you being serious?

It is, the problem is that some players can't git gud so they whine on the forums asking Blizz to nerf the characters they don't like and buff the ones they like.

Didn't read past the first word

Fuck me, Overwatch might be shit, but posting like that does more harm to the board than what overwatch did to the genre.

Someone has the pic and I hope they post it but the short story is that when devs change anything about a game formula, autists get assmad about it.
On a UT2k4 I proposed the idea that the "Health Regen Mutator" should be a thing in the maingame. You're in combat with someone. You don't regen. If you do kill him, and don't take damage for 5 seconds, you get your HP back to 100. Then remove Healthpacks.

My reasoning for this comes from playing a lot with 8 or more people. Half of my kills came from turning a corner and finding some poor sap at 13 HP. Sometimes he had just finished a fight with someone, sometimes he was running away. Either way, when you score 60% of your points on shit like this, you don't feel you are a good player. You feel lucky.
My group kinda agreed to test out Regen, and it worked wonders. You'd get a lucky kill like that less than 10% of the time.
The "durr, you just go hide" thing didn't hold up. It's UT, not CoD. IF you hide, the other players are fragging and leaving you behind on the scoretable. You either take a risk and start hunting at 23HP or you're bottomscoring for the rest of the match.

The responses from the "HARDCORE ARENA SHOOTERS" were about the removal of Health packs I personally prefer healthpacks you could pick, carry and activate in an inventory, not stationary powerups and the stale old meme of "HEALTH REGEN IS BAD".

Game mechanics (like health regen) are never inherently bad or good. They simply change the way the game is played. Sometimes these changes are fun, sometimes they are not. Sometimes they work with other changes and mechanics, and sometimes they clash badly.

Health Regen worked rather well for me in UT2k4.
And before you go "hurr you only think you play well" I played with other groups without health regene. Remember that if every fight starts with my and my enemy at 100%, every fight lasts a lot longer. I learned how to dodge and aim far faster than a lot of the people I played with because I spent more time shooting and dodging instead of clicking to respawn.

Low test beta male detched.

It's not finished

wait, why I found out about this now?

they had no advertising

That used to happen to me in TF2 all the time. I'd still play it despite the F2P shit but the community was just bad so I stopped playing it.

I was constantly carrying the weight of all my team mates on my back while they were just out shooting shit.

Oh well. Any good clones out there? I tried Fortress Forever but there's fucking no one playing it.

epicgames.com/unrealtournament/#splash

ok

Yeah I don't see a problem with something like health regen in ffa. It's mostly gamemodes like duel which have a rich and thick meta revolving around health and armor pickups. FFA is just inherently not a good gamemode in vanilla arena shooters.

But that's the thing you should also remember.
Most people who argue against Health Regen are fans of smaller, more focused matches.
At most 4 players, but usually 1vs1.

On matches like that, yeah. I understand the argument of health kits versus Health Regen.
It allows a player to get a comeback after being killed if he's willing to dash for the health pickup instead of searching for weapons first.

But what happens when you increase the number of players? What about 8 players? 12? 24?

Now, 24 players is a mess. Unless we're talking a large map, half your deaths will be caused by a stray rocket or what have you.
But 8 or 10 players is much more manageable.
And the best argument I can come up with is comparing the lack of Health Regen to random criticals in Team Fortress 2.

Pretty sure everyone had this happen to him. You pull off some incredible play, take down 5 players and start pushing the cart/get the intel from the ground/stand on a point.
But WHOA here comes a demo/doctor/soldier. He shoots. And while the projectile is in mid-air you already know that the red glow around it spells your doom.
One great play completely invalidated. Was the other player skilled? No. Were you unskilled? No. An external factor dicated that you lose and he wins.

When you fight someone and you're both at 100%, there's no external factors. You win because you aimed better, you dodged faster.
But after that fight, if you turn around and see someone at 100% while you're at 13%, that fight as already been decided by a factor that is external to that fight: the previous one.

I like to think that Arena Shooters should play like a series of mini-duels. You dash around, grabbing weapons, ammo and powerpups. Suddendly, you see another player. And he sees you. Fight starts, one dies. Duel ended you get a point. The match continues until you find another player and repeat.

You might prefer the arena gamemodes where you spawn at full stack and with all weapons. It kinda plays like that. Duel will always be #1 though imo. FFA isn't really a good gamemode because of the reasons you stated. It can be fun to play but it's not something that has a whole lot of merit competitively

FFA is great for practice and little else.
Real gamemodes for real man coming though:
And the real test to a man's will:
Yes, I used the 3 name because Warfare had some neat ideas with the Orb, the Hover pad and the vehicle that laid traps (forgot it's name).
Were they implemented well? Heck no. Only one side would get the trap-laying contraption, and since Orbs didn't protect you when defending with them (they regenerated health, but that doesn't do much when you headbutt a tank shell) they were only used when attacking.
But they were ideas. New ideas that could have been improved, expanded upon and evolved the game.

As good as UT4 is looking, I still feel sad they're dropping all of that instead of fixing it.

My nigger.

Do you have a source that UT4 drops vehicle modes? I thought they just focus on the normal modes first.

kek. Keep shilling. The game has no balance.
Lucio is the best support by far
Symmetra is shit tier when not in pubs

Bastion is shit except against the worst of pubs

Go shill back to reddit.

Over watch is not balanced you shill.
Lucio is god tier
Symmetra is shit

The game is completely horrible right now as far as tiers go.

this is pretty stupid of them, none of the unreal games had expansions so why start now. I thought the whole point of UT4 was to sell the engine, not the game. They mustn't be getting very many successes from UE4 then but I'd argue that's because of how damn often they're completely changing UE4, makes it hard to keep up with Epic on a dev side.

The game should be free. Tangent are idiots.

*Tancent

No source. Just from what I've seen.
I mean, pretty sure they'll bring back vehicles (otherwise it's dead to me).
But what are the odds of getting that trap-laying tank back?
They're gonna bring back the Raptor, the Manta and the Hellbender because they're familiar, the tank might make an appeareance too. Maybe even the goliath (these last two depending on the size of the maps).

Necris vehciles were fun, and Necris vs normal vehicles was great, if unbalanced.
There would be too ways to fix it.
a)Make everything symetrical.
Necris has a trap-laying lawnmower? Then the other guys get one too. This one is boring as shit though. It's essentially reskins.

b)They get simmilar vehicles that work diferently.
The Necris trap-layer for instance, could turn invisbile, sneak into places it shouldn't and lay a couple traps.
The equivalent would be an airborn vehicle that drops pods. Pods with a little 3 second animation opening up and laying a trap there too.
Both vehicles have their merits, but their unique enough for people to say "I like Necris" or "I like the other one's".
Fuck, can't remember who made the normal one's

The Tripod should have had a weak point beneath it. And the Necris motorbikes were fast, hence they'd need a weakpoint in front that when shot, would crash the guy (forcefully ejected) or some such.

Now I'm gonna be realistic. They have a small fanbase (most fans kinda scratched the name UT after the shitpile that 3 was) and they are currently focusing on a very small game. Even at realease, I don't think they'll have all the gamemodes in yet. And if you were making a game like this, what would you cut? A mode where you just need a ball and some goals? Or a mode with bases, vehicles and giant maps?
So, UT4 is gonna come out, with no vehicles. Then it will later get a patch or God help us, DLC where Vehicle gamemodes are introduced.
But it's late. It's very very late, for very special date: the launch day itself.
So they gotta pump it out, and later fix it, because people WANT vehicles (like I do) and will drop the game later if they don't get them.
So, in a rushed Warfare mode, all that's realistically gonna be included is the few vehicles we used to have, and maybe not all of them.

I still have hope that they'll prove me wrong, but since they're focusing more efforts on that MOBA… well. You should always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Wew, had to make two posts to make sure you belong to the Holla Forums hivemind didn't ya?
Maybe try playing it as a casual shooter, for fun every once in a while, instead of playing it like it's the CS:GO killer. You said it yourself. It's not balanced. Why the fuck would you bother with tiers.
Instead of spouting stupid shit, you could get in game, pick those three and learn how they play. You don't need to play them for long, and you certainly don't need to "main" them.
But if your only experience with them is seeing retards playing, you'll constantly overestimate them, and every few matches get rofflestomped by one.
I don't even like widow or Bastion. I just know what they do, where they do it and how they do it. Pick the right tool for the right job.

You mean Tencent, right?
And they're not Idiots, user. They're a business that does thing in a way you don't like.
Bullfrog studios did their games in a "long-term" prospect. They had fans, they had fame, and they made a lot of money. It then dried out after many years and they were taken in by EA.
But for people like Tencent, long-term means it takes too long to recoup their investment.
They're in it for the short-term. Make shitty game. Hype it. Sell it. Everyone hates the studio that made it. Close the studio, take the money and buy/open a new studio.

You know there's Tencent behind this. And beind LoL and other shitty games too.
But the average consumer doesn't. Tencent logo doesn't show up there, and for good reason.

Yeah, how dare he.

It wouldn't be a substantial loss. You're playing games for gameplay, aren't you?
You're a riot, user.

the broader picture is that UE4 if adopted in large numbers would force the industry to capitulate to them which would give them royalties on all games success or failure thus mitigating risks. Its the trick that Autodesk and Adobe have done. Force everyone to use your product/service, then give up updating it because where else are they going to go? you own everything.

They're idiots because Maps and Paid Mods historically don't make money, EA has proven this time and time again with their shitty map packs, they barely break even and reduce shelf life of the product considerably because it fragments the playerbase into the haves and have nots thus diluting the population.

Like straight up if they forced everyone onto UE4 like they could quite easily do, they would be rolling in cash right now. UE4 is a fantastic engine and the devs are fantastic. I just worry they'll end up sabotaging UT because of a stupid business model that so many other competitive multiplayer games have suffered from as well, we've seen enough of this bullshit from EA to know its a bad idea. Or you could be Valve and implement straight up gambling. Overwatch is the only game to have done it without fucking it up and only because WoWfags will buy anything with a Blizzard label on it, they supported WoW even when Blizzard had well and truly given up on the development side which frankly was pretty stupid bordering on Stockholm syndrome.

I really don't know though. I mean we have to wait and see what the final UT4 product is like to determine if their business model would work out at the very least in the short term. I get why they're doing it. But the examples we have, resulted in a much shorter shelf life which would hardly make back enough to cover the initial investment, games even further disadvantaged because of no retail presence like other games would have.

Ok straight up if they do a console release and charge for it. They are the smartest sons of bitches alive. Use the PC as beta testers, and then turn the console fags into a money farm. That could work. Its been proven to work.

Overwatch is fun but not if you play competitively.
Dota's not fun, but it's probably the most competitive game out there.
Of Guards and Thieves is free and very fun, but it's not competitive at all.
I recently downloaded Paragon and there's a couple design flaws, but it's OK.
Sc2 is still the most intense modern competitive multiplayer game out there. Some people think it's fun, some people don't. Once I got over ladder anxiety I found it really fun.
Pokémon is becoming more competitive with each new release. If you have a 3DS maybe you should pick up Sun and Moon.

Tf2 works just fine without health regen.
Health regen causes camping.

I have played both.
You going "Just play casually" doesn't change how horribly unbalanced it is.

No fast health regen means the game devs have to put health packs in maps, and map design is too hard.

I have played both.
You going "Just play casually" doesn't change how horribly unbalanced it is.

But the shit eater is right. Pointing out what he's doing, even if true, is not an argument. Attacking the argument is an argument.