How can you use gore in a game or any work of art without looking edgy and/or pandering?

How can you use gore in a game or any work of art without looking edgy and/or pandering?

Do we any vydia examples of successful attempts of this?

Guys?

I thought it was tasteful in Metro 2033

I guess it's really circumstantial I dunno

Gore is like any other part of human body is tasteful by default, how you perceive it is completely up to you and your cultural upbringing and environment.

"Edgy" is a dumb meme. If darkness is executed badly, then it's just bad. If darkness is executed in such a way that it's entertaining as darkness or is actually disturbing, then it's good.

Could you give examples of games considered edgy and/or pandering because of gore - what type of games are you thinking of exactly? And just how much gore are you talking about? Are tf2 characters exploding into gibs considered gore?

Those iceberg charts have some pretty edgy gore games because the gore is only there for shock value.

Gore in war games for example isn't edgy because that's just part of war.

Gore in Serious Sam and shit is fine because everyone explodes into meat chunks and it's hilarious.

Correct. Even when done correctly, the people who enjoy it will be labeled as edgy or even the work it's self will still be called edgy.

Postal 2 isn't even gory compared to those other two games. People call it edgy because the protagonist is an unapologetic asshole and because you can do disgusting shit like piss on people. Honestly, I just think it's tacky comedy rather than deliberately edgy.

YOU DIE I GET PAID

Whoever told you those game are edgy is a fag.

You could reserve gore for shotgun blasts, handcannon shots, and explosions.

It looks silly if you decapitate a head with a suppressed Walther PPK.

like so

I guess is right, it's all about context, my initial presupposition was already wrong. Edgy gory games just for the sake of the gore aren't good games in the first place, Manhunt uses it to enhance its stealth and postal is just crazy black humor chaos.

Guess thread is dead now.

Chivalry due to how over the top it is. It also makes beating an opponent satisfying.

Oh god I was so shit at Life & Death. Mostly I remember drawing pictures on the subject with the scalpel, all in one motion.

There's nothing wrong with being edgy.

sorry i prefer not to give the impression i shop at hot topic ;^)

killer 7.
when blood is used stylistically it becomes more than a way to visualize violence.
afro samurai, metal gear rising, etc etc.

if you want a realistic approach then use a realistic amount of blood and gore. simple.

I don't know what hot topic is.

what did you say mofugga

Verdun?

I miss when games had gore.

It doesn't even need to be over the top. You just have it that when you hit someone hard enough they explode.

Good fun in New Vegas is playing shotgun + bloody mess and just pasting everything in your way.

By not presenting it as "cool and stylish" without it actually looking cool or stylish. The two differing examples I can think of of this done well would be Madworld and Green Room (you said or any work of art)

Madworld is absolutely stylish with its blood and gore which look great and fit in thematically with the rest of the game.

Green Room (Blue Ruin is a good example too) does a fantastic job of making violence look extremely unappealing. While Madworld makes you revel in the blood of your enemies, Green Room makes you cringe and want to look away because of how painful and realistic everything looks. It helps the depressing and tense atmosphere of the movie quite a bit in a way that would be significantly reduced if it was some garbage like Marvel violence (one bullet to the chest and you immediately die with no screaming in pain or blood).

Examples of this done poorly would be something like Fury Road where everything in the movie is supportive of brutal, over the top violence but it just does Marvelshit with minimal blood or style in it's action scenes. I think violence in the style of District 9 would have been perfect for it, quick and nasty where it looks horrifying but it isn't focused on like the lightning gun thing exploding dudes into gibs casually in the background before it cuts one second later.

you dont

See, I'd point to the 3D Fallout games as an example of the very thing OP is complaining about - gore just for the sake of being edgy.

It's like you don't even fap to guro

zombies.

kill yaself fool

Green Room was a shit movie.

would the weapons used in the game inflict gore when used upon another human being? then there should be gore its a level of detail that should be respected unless the game doesn't want too be that violent

i view no-gore as lazy or trying to keep the rating down or lighten the load, since ultra violence is a dying breed. i wanna see blood textures all over the fucking walls and i want the corpses to stay around after a fight so i can use them to know where i have and haven't been. i want blood fountains and enemies hollering like lunatics

fuck being tasteful and i don't care if anyone calls me edgy, waterfalls of blood during a fight was satisfying feedback to player action

OFF made great use of blood and gore.
Specifically, you can see blood splatters when you attack enemies, but only for a brief moment, and enemies will disappear as soon as they're killed (which is reasonable, since the majority of them take on a ghost-like appearance).
One boss, however, leaves a mangled corpse behind after you kill him, which leads into one of the more serious scenes in the game.

System Shock 2 used blood and gore excellently. It never felt like it was thrown in just to make things look dark and edgy. Corpses you found, and the parasitized forms you had to defend yourself against, were all very deliberate in their presentation.

Corpse Party for the PSP, it's gory but it's well done

What do you think made it shit?

There's definitely a threshold of "woah that was cool" to "saw that already" when it comes to gore.
Since vidya is repetitive, the boredom can be achieved pretty quickly, (killing random enemies makes a gory death, etc.) but the most effective uses for gore are for those gimmicky deaths or boss fights.
A good gimmick I can think of is the chainsaw death in Resident Evil 4. The first time you get it is pretty dramatic and awesome, but after that you know how to stop Dr. Salvador.
For boss fights it's better if the boss dies a gory death, or has a gory cutscene. You want the player's imagination to run wild about how powerful the boss is.

Hotline Miami does gore pretty well, too.
The first one moreso than the second one, especially since weapons that are difficult to execute with (like the scissors or the pot of boiling water) have some of the more brutal executions.