Valve Restrict Steam Tradings to Deal with Hackers

Valve has announced new restrictions on Steam trading.
The new change deals with online games where you can be banned, either by Valve's anti-cheating software or individual game developers. You can no longer purchase copies of these games and then save them to be gifted later. If you're purchasing a copy that isn't for the account you're purchasing it with, you'll need to immediately gift it to someone else. Additionally, if you gift a copy of a game to someone who then goes on to receive a permanent ban, you'll lose the ability to gift copies of that game to other people.

Do you guys agree with this decision? And why?(U+200B was here)

support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1327-WUJX-5722
archive.is/V29Jn

How were people abusing this for this to happen?

I don't.
But whatever, at this point things just keep getting worse so I'm kind of immune to being disappointed.

I have no idea, but judging by valve recent bullocks (needing to connect a phone to trade, needing to have it verified for 7 days, needing to buy a game to add friends, etc) I think at this point they're just trying to make Steam as proprietary as possible.

They get access to the account and use the credit card info on there to mass buy games to sell to russian resellers so they can profit on it.

This is bullshit, I have saved copys to give to friends IRL when I force them to make Steam accounts so they will play with me.

Now what am I going to use as my final coaxing method?

This is fucking retarded. Steam game trading has been a thing for a long time, and now Valve is actively trying to kill trading. On top of that, punishing people for other people's wrongs is bad on a moral and rational level. I'm not buying games off of Steam anymore, this is fucking stupid, I'll just get them off of Kinguin or GOG from now on.

This doesn't effect me at all and I can't see how it makes Steam any more restrictive than it already is.
If hackers were actually using this to ban evade then I'm glad to see it countered, if they weren't then this is just to make it look like Steam is doing something to stop hackers.

You're pretty much a stealth marketer as it is, the best of goyim.

Okay

Who cares, you've already cucked yourself by using steam in the first place.

I don't use Steam anymore but jesus christ Valve is going fucking overkill to protect the retarded 13 year olds who can't keep their accounts secure or get jewed

How is this protecting customers other than through possibly reducing hacking?

If you take away all their freedom, they cant hurt themselves anymore.

This. This is what they are doing.

Because you're making a platform used by millions worse to protect the small minority that cares about this dumb shit

Explain in detail how you think this will effect anything other than stopping hackers stocking up of their game of choice and gift trading with their friend when they get banned?

I see this thread as another knee jerk reaction to Steam changing anything without any reasoning to support a freakout.

Whatevs.
I just buy games and play them. Fuck this social bullshit. Socialfags should suffer anyway.

Well, they have to wait 15 days to trade on a new computer, plus the mobile authenticator.

What? If you get a new computer you use the same steam account, not make a new one and gift games to yourself.

As for the mobile authentication it's optional for now and I sure as fuck haven't given them my number.

If you log on to the same account on a new computer, it has a long as fuck trade restriction.

This is hilarious I stopped using steam trading when they ask for my phone number fucking cucks

Seriously?
That is pants on head retarded. I can see how that is just a way of protecting idiots from their own stupidity.

Actually, they changed the mobile authentication.

Normal phones only get you so far, if you want to truly authenticate you must use the official Steam app for an iPhone or Android.

You can spoof it with an Android emulator

it doesn't mean ALL games can't be saved, just ones with VAC enabled
but its still retarded imo, how am i gonna grief csgo on alts if i get overwatched smh

valve's gone batshit with their "hacker prevention" bullshit. these past few changes, as well as this one hurt their average userbase far more than the hackers ever could. unlike many on this board, i didn't really have anything against valve or steam but they're starting to dig their own graves here. they're severely limiting many of their ingenious services that made them stand out from other similar platforms. they're trying to aggressively drag personal information out of their honest userbase under the guise of "protection". they're getting way too greedy way too fast and it shows. i noticed that i unintentionally stopped using steam. i've had enough of all of the annoying prompts and limitations on my account of over 300 games just because i don't want to download their app and give them my phone number. instead i've been getting my games using alternative ways. it's a downhill ride from here. valve likes to do stuff that seems generous and good for the user but they're not doing it because of their good intentions anymore. they're just doing it to stay in good graces at this point so they can keep fucking up. the jewery has taken over, it's too late for valve. mark my words: in some years valve will turn into a full blown villain. there will be 4 free damage control drones, just like with every company out there but sooner or later, the smell of rot will get too strong to ignore even for your average consumer.

So, how are they going to enforce this, "you must buy a game for your own account or gift it immediately" policy? What if you want to buy a game in advance for someone for their birthday or a surprise or something? Surely they don't mean to say that you can't hold onto a game key that you purchased for an indiscriminate amount of time, right? If so, that's bullshit.

wait a minute, how is this gonna stop alts?
can't you just buy the games on the alt account?

So basically you have voluntarily entered a prison of your own design and now you are pissed off about it?
Just stop trading and all this stops beign an issue, you could even go one better and stop buying games on steam so in 5 years it won't be much of a loss to ditch it completely.

You people seem to fail to remember that this shit started when people started threatening to sue valve for being too stupid to not get scammed on steam and the broken fucking courts agreed to let them sue. Valve is, urgently trying to not get the ever loving fuck sued out of them by retards. This is like when nintendo got sued for slots in pokemon and they took gambling out of ALL their games and removed minigames from New Super Mario Bros Wii. It's over aggressive lawsuit proofing.

huh? I don't even buy games with VAC. I'm just posting the news and telling you how to bypass the mobile authentication.

You can schedule the delivery of steam gifts.

Still does nothing to fix the main root of the problem with item stealing

Yes but then you need to have a fresh credit card each time rather than just buying 40 copies of a game for your inventory and gifting it to at accounts whenever one gets banned

couldn't he just wait until it was morning before he recorded himself? also, why add background music when you're already fucking whispering into your mic from across the room? somehow he thought this was okay, too. he thought this worked and put it on youtube. what the fuck, seriously?

Given the prevalence of key reselling sites, stolen credit card sales and others, it seems like a step in the right direction for consumer protection, albeit a very heavy and unfortunately restrictive step.

Valve are sick of their platform being abused in this sense and I sympathize with the issue, but I'd also argue there's a more elegant solution to this. 3-step authentication using a smartphone? It's hard to give a solution that works (and appeals) to everyone, and tying your account to a physical object can be unappealing. Given the circumstances, it's realistically the best they can do without harming too many users.

You'll lose out on buying 4-pack copies, but otherwise you'll probably save cash really. You just buy it as it comes up if it's on sale. You lose more if you keep buying, but if you end up not buying you save more cash (if your friends can't be coaxed).

Restricting freedom in lieu of security is a key tenet of IT security. If your user account can't delete files, viruses can't do it either. If you can't be reasonably punished for cheating, you don't fear your account being banned. I agree that these measures are primitive but in all honesty your freedom is always at the mercy of the company whose service you use. It is always to be used on their terms, and their contract expressly states this. You gain benefits in exchange for following the contract, and they're very careful about changing or closing these contracts.

Even in the stories you hear about people being "unfairly" banned from the service, in 99.99% of cases people are lying or omitting some details. Companies have to be careful with stuff like this, and it's why people trust so heavily in the VAC system: It's not another person. There's no room for bias.

Lastly, this was a service that didn't even exist back when steam first existed. I don't think it's fair to say they only want to take away freedom when they were the ones to enable that freedom in the first place, thus creating the situation as it is now. I lament that restrictions had to be placed on it, but it's more than was given at a previous point.

The vast majority of steam users are fucking stupid. Just as the vast majority of people on Holla Forums is fucking stupid, including you.

Only in America can you sue for something like this and win.
So basically it is americans ruining everything for everyone once AGAIN.
Thanks America.

Actually, it was europe this time.

Do people really fall for this shit?

Valve being megajews again? What a surprise.

wrong. why you typing out your ass?

The modern Prussian style schooling system fails when used for anything more than creating barely adequate soldiers.

I suggest altering your expectations so as to be surprised when people deliver with pride and quality, otherwise you will be disappointed with most things you'll see.
We live in the final days of our civilization, user. You can't expect much, now.

Gotta say piracy is still a service problem.
In steam you just press "install" and bam you're playing your shit.
With torrents and shit you gotta do a lot more busywork like searching the version you need, downloading, then installing it and then good luck updating it if new version comes out.
Now I'm not advocating fat fuck and his story, but my mentality is that I'm not paying for games, I'm paying for not needing to hustle around. Games are free.

edgy

Epic.

PC gaming owned by one storefront. What could possibly go wrong?

Was Steam always shit or is it getting worse…

Fuck off and die.

Just slowly ease the goyim in, even the best goyim will react negatively when its done too quick.

This. Walmart could strip search everyone who walks out of their store. It would cut down shoplifting A LOT. But they don't because nobody wants to deal with security like that so instead Walmart decides to take a loss on theft.

Ha PC gamers are spineless. They'll take it up the ass.

Not like you could even legally buy most games without going through Steam.

Eat shit

Seeing as it's got the whole "games where you can be banned" thing, I'm guessing this isn't so much about people buying stuff with stolen credit cards or for key resale sites and is mostly just to stop people stocking up on like 20 CS:GO codes when it's on sale for 3 bucks and then being set for a whole year of cheating.

Didn't know hackers were that much an issue for Valve. This really only hurts hackers with 100 copies of CSGO

Good God, that's fucking retarded. What hurts the most is that I know they're not actually doing any of their anal-retentive changes to try and force Steam to become a closed, proprietary or draconian platform, they're doing it because they're far too fucking lazy to actually implement any anti-hack or improve their existing anti-hacks.

They'd sooner change core fundamentals of how Steam works and implement tens of blanket solutions that don't work before they'd hunker down and do a fucking anti-hack or hire Steam Support workers. Steam Support is still legendarily bad with no chance in hell of ever improving because they don't want to hire anybody for it and nobody already in the company wants to do it (stupid fucking flat management structure).

It's just a false positive, bro. Just turn off your antivirus scanner and you'll be fine! :^)

(checked)
When was the last time VAC got actually updated in any form? Crackers and cheaters still roam games like CSGO free. If it wasn't for the overwatch feature (another lazy move by Valve), the whole game would have been infested with nothing but cheaters.

What's the fucking point of VAC if it doesn't do its job?

I believe VAC was last updated to try and combat LMAOBOX, and it's hit user numbers for LMAOBOX with VAC bans semi-reliably (most notably hitting a shit-ton of high-league competitive Snipers for TF2 who were subtly aimbotting) but they still pop up often enough to be notorious.

I only use Steam as an insecure communications platform at this point.

I actually don't mind this because when I buy games it is exclusively to support the developer, and if I want to play something without supporting the developer because I don't like the direction they're going in (like shillout 4) I just pirate it. Buying games from Russian resellers doesn't help with either of those two things since the developers get a much smaller cut and if I don't want to give devs the asking price for something then I just pirate it.

Well if you live in a poor country the games are cheaper because your currency isn't worth much (otherwise noone would buy any games there which is why piracy became so huge in Russia before Steam, which it still is but it has been considerably reduced). But you could just buy lots of games in a poor country and then sell them to people in rich countries for a profit because even with what goes to your profit it can still be cheaper for them.

where were you when steam had more restrictions than xbox live and psn

So basically I can never gift strangers certain games again because I might get fucked in the ass by something I didn't do and had virtually no part in.

That's fucking dumb, what the hell?

You can trade games you've purchased on XBL and PSN?

They unfortunately do.

I'm still pissed off about their stupid marketplace changes. I literally just use it to sell cards, but I had to download their fucking phone app or wait two weeks for something to list. I'm not retarded enough to get phished, so give me a "I'm not a retard, let me list shit without waiting two weeks you fat fuck" button.

Haha, wow. Another slip on the downhill slide for Valve.

pc gaming just got even worse

Steam is hardly the be all and end all.

its the only realistic modern solution so yeah, it's 90% of pc gaming

Why did you bite the bait? I get it if you're really into the market and want to sell cards for new titles ASAP before they devalue, but there's no harm in waiting two weeks. Even the Summer Sale, you could turn the .02 - 05 cards into gems that could in the long run be used to make back more money than if you sold the cards.

All my cards that were put on hold for two weeks sold the same week they went live. Any market fluctuations in between had no negative impact.

Haha, wow, I hope you're a consolebabby to be spouting off that kind of shit.

GOG's not even close to a competitor if that's what you're trying to imply.

hey, if you can't refute it, that's fine. I don't mind seeing another uneducated pc nigger.

If I'm selling a batch of cards, I don't want to wait half a month for them to actually sell. I put them just enough under the average price that they get bought almost right away. That's all there is to it.

There's gog
There's physical copies
There's pirating
Hell, Blizzard is entirely not on Steam and still sells all of their old games.
No wonder you think PC gaming is dying if you only use Steam.

Here's a game, name me one game that's a Steam exclusive that is also worth buying.

this is genuinely good bait but I'd like to advise others not to fall for it

gog is insignificant
physical copies of pc games lmao
piracy isn't a market
blizzard sells only their games

are you retarded or just a nigger, I need to know if it's genetic or you're just willfully stupid - then again you're defending pc gaming like a little fanboy bitch so you have already answered that question

So that's a no, you can't name me one game that's a Steam exclusive that is worth buying. Good job for proving how Steam is the be all and end all of PC gaming.

Steam trading was a mistake in the first place.

uninstall steam and deactivate all the games

As usual everyone in here is an underage fag parroting FUD.

Are you high? Todays society is characterized by a total lack of discipline. How is that prussian?

The hell is this shit

Easily the worst decision made in this steaming pile of shit.