For Honor PC Technical Test

I can't be the only one who got into another alpha again, right?

what's up with those black bars?
i'd guess censorship, but then there should be only two of them
the game looks alright, but i'd honestly rather just play M&B/Chivalry, especially if chivalry didn't run like shit

I've always wondered why are the black bar in those locations specifically ? You'd thing that they'd use a randomiser to put their discreet watermark equivalent no ? Or is it completely unrelated ?

It's probably covering up account info to keep him from getting banned for breaking NDA, a lot of betas have been plastering their screens with tracking shit to try and curtail leaked footage.

Gameplay looks okay but I can't imagine it can carry an entire game.

Alphas for games often post your email address or IP all over the screen as to discourage you from sharing images or videos of the game.

Looks like shit, just like we all knew it would be shit.

So is this the new Dank Souls?

jesus fuck, why even bother making a beta then
they mind as well just release the game when they think it's ready

also

The point is to get player feedback in an early state. this isn't even the planned Alpha that people have been signing up for. This is PC only to test stability of it I think (they've implemented mouse and keyboard controls since last I tried it).

The black bars that are static in the middle of the screen are username. I also removed the name of who I'm fighting as well as our crests (user created icons) in the top right corner just to be safe.

the weird thing is that the character doesn't blend his animations
so the flail that should be working by way of physics,suddenly ends up teleporting somewhere else
this is why you don't put flails in vidya games. i didn't like them in chivalry and i probably won't like them here

medieval flails were rarely even a thing at all in real life, why they appear so much in fiction is beyond me

The animations seem obvious enough for indicating guarded and vulnerable zones, so what's with the fucking distracting UI? Can you turn that shit off?

From what I've looked into for options, no. That stuff stays on.

well thats disappointing

I think they keep it on specifically because certain classes can do stun animations that give like a "flashbang" effect. Adds a white haze (though you can still see) and removes all enemy hud elements for a few seconds.

I'm still really hopeful for the game even though it's likely going to end up shit. It's a nice concept and I just want to wreck shit as a knight. It's Ubishit so i'm going to wait for a while after release to see how it is but despite being known for putting out constant little effort rehashes of the same games they do occasionally make something new and interesting.

If we are lucky they will have a "hardcore" mode or something similar that turns all of the indicator shit off.

So the player movements and positioning are just window dressing and the real game is in the UI prompts. That means there's no room for spontaneity and improvisation to the fighting, and it's all just a deterministic exercise that will get boring once the novelty of the pretty graphics wears off. You could play this with a text parser.

If the baseline game is built around reading the UI prompts, then that won't matter.

Your username appears in a few places on the screen. Ubisoft has this under a serious NDA.

As for playing Chivalry over thisā€¦ Chivalry definitely feels like there is more going on during a fight, but it has a lot of flaws. The worst one of all is the mouse-dragging that has pretty much destroyed any semblance of weapon balancing. It's basically two-handers and shields now. Most other weapons are pretty much worthless against a player who knows how to mouse-drag. Also the game is fucking infested with hackers, like all old games.

For Honor's fights seem to be better balanced and paced, but the trade off is less freedom in your movement. Will be interesting to see if the gameplay can live up to M&B/Chivalry, but like those games I doubt the full AAA price is anywhere close to justified.

Honestly that's not really a valid argument though. In Chivalry and M&B, replace UI with telegraphed animations and you have the exact same thing going on: whoever makes a mistake first gets fucked in the face.

AFAIK For Honor has cancels, dashes, blocks, parries, and other effects that depend on the class that allow more options when fighting. That's more than Chiv/M&B offer.

For honor is a console game, there is no way its going to be better than chivalry in any way.

Well your knowledge is flawed and you're obviously talking about things you have no knowledge of.

First of all mount and blade takes your speed into account when calculating damage, it also takes into account where it actually hit too and you can actually cancel mid hit animation and change to attack from a different direction / block & parry.

So movement actually plays a much more importan role in m&b and offers a depth that this game does not have contrary to your falsehoods.

pretty sure chivalry has all of those, albeit dashes are only for the man at arms
although i do wonder why they don't have parries, instead we just have blocks and riposte

I can confirm this from playing.

The conqueror (Shield and flail knight) doesn't have a feint (where you can cancel out of a heavy swing into a new one in a different direction or a light swing), everyone else, BUT he can still cancel his heavy swings using his shield block ability (where you block in all directions but uses a lot of stamina when doing so).

One neat combo I've actually come across against another Conqueror in duel mode was this: Charge Heavy Attack (where you start swinging the chain at the cost of stamina over time. You can then let go in any direction, and if you time the swing right, it can come out insanely fast), Heavy Attack, Shoulder Bash (unblockable knockback that you need to dodge), Light Attacks. I say plural light attack because you can actually combo lights infinitely for the Conqueror so long as you change the direction for each swing, a benefit of using a flail I guess.

Sounds like it's more like a fighting game than Chiv or M&B, the UI indicators still seem excessive though like if Soul Calibur had huge pop ups for what was high low or mid attacks.

Looks pretty cool. So what are the game modes for this? I would like a small team mode but it seems like it would be easy to just be the guy who interrupts duels by stabbing the enemy player in the back.

How many classes?

What are multiple player fights like? Does it degenerate into scattered 1v1's?

And, most importantly, got any polearm fighting footage somewhere?

For game modes, there's the standard 4v4 with control points, first to over 1000 points gets to remove the ability for the other team to respawn. When they all die, you win.

Besides that, there is a 1v1 and 2v2 duel modes. Best of 5 round wins. Personally, I've been gravitating towards the duel modes instead of the 4v4. It can get a little hectic at times with the outnumberings, but as long as you keep your cool in a 2v1 or 3v1 situation, you'll be fine. When in doubt, run away to find friends.

For classes, there are 6 total, two for each faction. Judging by the classes, and from the previous E3 footage, I'm thinking there will be 3 or 4 classes per faction for when the game comes out. Knights get Warden (2h longsword) and Conqueror (shield and flail), Samurai get Kensei (2h katana or whatever the hell it's called) and Orochi (formally known as Oni, the 1h katana wielder), and Vikings get Raider (2h axe) and Berserker (dual wielding axes). Looking at past E3 footage, there is probably also a Viking class with a spear and shield and a Samurai class who is fucking huge with some sort of 2h mace thing.

No polearms, unfortunately.

I certainly feel like I've been thinking a lot more about my moves in this game than either Chiv or M&B. I guess you could draw similarities to fighting games.

Is there any real difference between the 1h and 2h samurai or is it just like a "one is a little faster, one does a little more damage" thing?

1h Samurai is a real bastard, He's incredibly fast and relies a lot on both dodging and riposting. The Berserker and Orochi share some slight similarities, including being very fast but super squishy. The kicker, however, is that if they time the parry at almost the exact moment of impact, they actually slide the enemy blade across theirs and can riposte. Berserker follows up with stuns and stuff, and Orochi can do an unblockable quick attack following with with more attacks OR can hold for a heaver version that can be dodged (he spins to face his back to you and stabs backwards).

Kensei can do blinding stuns using the hilt of the blade and has a lot of special overhead finishers, MUCH slower than his 1h counterpart. He's much more like the Warden and Raider in terms of speed.

M&B is also god-tier, but it looks like shit. I think you want a game that lets you do all the stuff in those games, but does it for you so you can feel more gratified. It's a shame they gave alpha to people like you instead of real vidya warriors like me.

I don't think anyone dislikes dragging because of it being difficult to do, people hate it because it results in attacks and gameplay that looks completely retarded and isn't fun to play. Nobody likes getting hit with instant attacks because the other guy spun around backwards, looked up into the sky and poked you with the tip of his sword as he started his overhead attack or having to look 90 degrees to your side to block a thrust from your front because the sword is immaterial behind its tip and will glide straight through your shield.

Yeah, I get it. It's more fun to do canned moves and counters like in your favorite 2D fighting game. The vast majority of people enjoy that, and that's who Ubishit is targeting this game to.

Why isn't this in in the OP? Dropped.

Oh yeah, sorry, forgot about that little tid bit.

I should also note to everyone that apparently it's not dedicated servers but peer to peer matchmaking. For now, besides dropping out of matches every now and then and the game failing to find a new host, I really haven't noticed any "host" advantageā€¦unless I've been getting host every duel.

you got in aswell? looks like you have a proper setup to block your name at least, i leaked and some cunt reported it to ubishit

Good Lord, that looks so fucking boring.

Question, does it have single player?
I like the slow pace but not this focus on looking on the big ass prompts rather than the animations to figure out where the attack is coming from, I had this problem with Furi too. For what it's worth I think it looks much better than any other melee combat system Ubisoft has shat out(AC, Splinter Cell Conviction/Blacklist) but that's not saying much. Might be cool, might not. Who knows

What did they do? Did they lock your account?

they haven't done shit yet, and they probably won't, i voided the NDA but NDA's don't really mean shit, and im a minor so it won't apply to me either, it was a huge shitshow of a thread, it's still here if you look for it

the combat has pretty animations, but it's trash, the 'boss' enemies you find that don't die in one hit are piss easy if you don't lock on and play rock paper scissors with him and instead spam left click, there is single player with bots, but just don't get this game, don't even pirate it, it's trash

OP here, not at my computer and probably won't be until Sunday, but I'll drop in when I can to answer questions.

This test is multiplayer only. There is the ability to fight against AI, but that's all. However, judging from this past E3, there is a full single player campaign with a story and stuff if you're into that kind of thing, and not the type that just takes multiplayer levels and adds "context" to what's going on looking at you Titanfall.

Cool, I might pirate it if my toaster can handle it.

Not really the thread for this, but I don't think this question deserves its own thread.

Every time I play a game my processor gets hot as fuck and the fan goes apeshit after about thirty minutes. I just replaced my video card. Is this bottlenecking or an issue with my heatsink?

Oh. I also have a 750w power supply.