Shadow of Mordor

Why didn't you guys tell me this game is kind of fun?

I guess some of you did, I never installed it because it takes 55 gigs to download, 55 to extract and then 55 to install, and I just never had the fucking time

But I finally got around to it and the nemesis system has already created some pretty interesting dynamic situations.

I know a lot of you hate it because it has generic open world / batman combat aspects, but I don't really play either of those games so I'm not worn out on the combat.

I'm sure it'll get old but for now I played a couple hours without getting bored, something that hasn't happened to me in a while.

Thoughts on this game?

I got bored with it in like 3 hours.

I don't either so I found the game entertaining. Shame there's no depth to anything in it.

See vid related at 9:52.

The most effective anti-piracy method.
Anyway the game itself is very lackluster. The idea of the nemesis system is really good but you get to the later stages and your nemesis' have complete immunity to certain attacks which is more of an annoyance and feels like a cop-out. Combat itself is meh, I'm sure someone will post the guy who turns off his screen then mashes attack and wins a fight.

It does get boring after a few hours and had the potential to be so much more than assassins creed: the dark knight.

Got you covered, fam.

Here's one I found in 2 seconds, it's 19 GB.
42b2cd58af0f746ef9feb3e1de5499ad80dea70b

The game is failed potential all throughout.

Nemesis system is more annoying than interesting. Oh boy this Uruk is immune to any finishers, stealth, AND ranged? He can summon other orcs, can fucking smell that I'm hiding nearby and can regenerate his fucking health? And what's his weakness? Fucking Ghuls. That I have to spend all fucking day trying to get him to interact with so I can end up trying to kill him otherwise he's basically invincible.

Combat is your average Bamham. Graphics are pretty if you can actually run it. Story is fucking retarded.

However the two DLCs (they call them expansions but they're basically only 2 hours a piece) Bright Lord and Lord of the Hunt are better than the main game.

:ord of the Hunt if you wanted to brand the wildlife for shits and giggles and Bright Lord if you thought the base game was too easy.

Base Game is 6/10 both the DLCs are 7/7.5 respectively. I was terribly disappointed.

The combat is bland. It's easy.
What bugs me about that particular video is that he does it against a mob of starting mooks. Fairly early on, the game introduces enemies who automatically stun and damage you if you try to vault them, but it's much easier and more satisfying to just post the webm as a strawman and dismiss the combat as shit. A far more relevant criticism would be the fact that, despite ripping the BamHam brawling system off wholesale, one key change the devs made in SoM was allowing the player to cancel any attack animation into a counter. The two (relatively) big challenges of BamHam combat were in hitting mooks with the move that would beat their mook-specific defenses, and in timing your attacks so you weren't in the middle of punching one mook when another attacked you. Being able to cancel anything into a counter removes the latter as a consideration, allowing you to just mash X all you want, only to tap Y once whenever you see an orc invade your personal space.

The nemesis system should have been a good counterpoint to that–fantasy football with decapitations. It's one thing to make combat easy so that it becomes sort of a sandbox of slaughter, where you fuck up crowds of orcs in such a manner as to choose what kind of PTSD you leave the survivors with, but the balancing needed work on both sides. Most would-be nemeses had trouble surviving a single fight with you, let alone the three or four necessary to pick up a real variety of traits, and most of the nemesis powers locked you into having one or two "correct" moves that were the only way to damage the officer in question. I had fun with the game and all, and I don't even mind the weak difficulty, but there was a LOT of room to make something better without even needing to perform major overhauls on the game's mechanics.

As an aside, the DLC pissed me off. Whole hosts of new assets–new powers, new enemies, new creature types–all locked into their own separate game modes that spanned two- and three-hour campaigns. The devs really missed an opportunity in not integrating it into the main game as a whole, even if it would have wrecked the balance (because it's not like the balance was all that tight to begin with).

you know what's funny, the webm that gets passed around of this doesn't have the part where he turns off the screen and plays. I'd say that paints a better picture of the game than him just mashing buttons.

Installed it yesterday. Completely agree that the combat is goddamn easy.

You'll get bored within a few hours. The combat and stealth is braindead, and it gets even more boring the stronger your character gets.

:^)

The most effective anti-playing method. I avoided the new Wolfenstein game despite the positive reception because it's 50 fucking gigaboos.

kill yaself fool

I finished 100% last night, this time being the second time I've played it.

For an hour or two of the first area, it's pretty great. The actual area is really good to look at, and matches the orcs well. You'd know that orcs live there even if you didn't see any of them. The wild animals suit the area too, like Caragors and Graugs being ferocious looking things that I could totally see being the human equivalent to a horse. Getting hit somewhat means something because of your low HP pool.

However, after an hour or so you easily start to see the faults. Stealth is way too easy, even if you got rid of your bow. You can headshot orcs from a mile away, and even if another orc finds the body their movement patterns don't change. One of the will say "There's a body over 'ere" and none of them will react, even the one who found the body. They'll carry on sitting around camp fires and drinking grog even if you've been blowing up the campfires and poisoning the grog everywhere you've been.

I said that getting hit means something early on, which it does, but there is absolutely no reason you should be getting hit, apart from the janky camera or hitting one of the orcs that counter you by accident. The thing about Arkham combat is that once you attack, you can't cancel it. So either you have to chose whether to attack to continue the combo and risk taking a hit, which ends the combo, or wait for an enemy to attack, which can have the combo time out. Morder lets you cancel every move you can do with a counter, which removes that little mechanic that Batman has going for it. Orcs are so goddamn hesitant to attack you even if they outnumber you 25 to 1, you get more than enough time to just lay into them constantly, and do whatever you want. I think I was only attacked by 2 at once about 10 times in my 100% playthrough, and I got hit the first time because I forgot that they can do that in this game.

Contrary to what this faggot says, that webm is a valid at the beginning and end of the game, because no mobs stun or damage you if you try to vault them. They push you back and prevent you from jumping them, which is annoying if they're a captain that has a shield, but even if they do stop you, you have plenty of time to get up and vault someone else. There is no downside to it, and I think it even pauses your combo timer as you do it.

Does anyone else find the orcs in this game kinda ruggedly hot?

It would've been more fun if the orcs got stronger but they stay the same and you become OP easily.

continued
The nemesis system was neat, and I really liked how many unique orcs there were, though I think that I probably met them on my first playthrough too. I would've like it to be a bit more expanded, but that would depend on expanding how you could approach them, which boiled down to stealth (archery or knife) or combat (sword or beast). I would've love to have seen the orcs ride the caragors that they own, rather than keep them in a cage so that you can let them out and kill them.
Sometimes you have to fight orcs in fields that are afraid of morug(?) bees, which only spawn in the areas that are filled buildings. And like this guy said, you'd get captains that are immune to almost everything you have expect explosives, which you were shit out of luck for if they didn't spawn near a campfire. I did like how going up against orcs at the end of the game without knowing their strengths and weaknesses was a stupid fucking idea, not because you'd die, but just because it'd take unnecessarily longer than it should've. There's at least some punishment for going in blind, even if it's the worst way to punish a player.

I can't decide if you were given the ability to take control of the orcs too late, or too soon. Before you get it, interacting with the boss orcs is basically just killing them. I like how you can interrupt their infighting but before getting brand, there's only one reason to want one orc to win over another, and that's so they're easier to kill as a higher ranked orc. But once you get brand, it's real fucking easy to have every orc taken control of, and close to zero reason not to brand orcs, especially the mooks, since they'll fight with you. The captains I suppose reward you with runes when you kill them, but runes are chance based, so it's hard to tell when putting that rune in that slot has payed off.
It's also pretty good that if you start branding normal orcs across the world, they start popping up in groups of non branded orcs, and will help you fight against their buddies if you decided to start a fight. It's also nice if you make a vacuum of power, and of your normal branded orcs gets promoted without you doing anything.

The story was a pile of shit. There were too many missions where you had to walk slowly and follow someone somewhere then do all the work. I still have no idea if the blonde chick Talion wanted to fugg but didn't because 'muh wife' survived. Abilities are limited by your progress through the story, and some of them are way too fucking strong, like being able to mount a graug from range. The last boss is a QTE with 5 buttons, two of which you have to move into a circle. The first boss is a normal fight but only needs you to stun the guy and attack him. The second one needs you to attack him in stealth, but is made easy because of your 'see through walls ghost vision'.

What are you people, fucking brazlians?

Oh, no no, that's right. You're just cheap niggers who need an excuse to pirate shit.

Kill yourselves.

It's basically Batman in Mordor. The Batman games are good for when I feel terrible, and just want to turn my brain off. It has an Orc babysitting feature that's pretty fun. It's really fulfilling to fill the Orc ranks with the meanest, ugliest fuckers I can find. It's almost like trimming a banzai tree.

They fall between rugged to hideous.

This is absolute bullshit. After a few hours you can clearly see it boils down to "This guy is immune to melee/ranged/magic/executions/""""stealth""""/any combination of those/everything until you splash some water on him then he's a complete fucking wuss who dies in one hit and you get better runes for it"
The generals were piss easy, the bosses were a complete joke and I had never died once in the game until I ran into those big beast things. Fuck arkham for making such a shitty combat system and fuck assassins creed for fucking up every single game of this type.

No-one said that it was impossible to have fun with it, they mostly just criticized it for the meh story, dialogue and mostly the fact that there's no end-game challenge

Some people like to be able to rewrite their disk without it becoming utterly useless and costing a trillion dollars

continued
The first area is better than the second, but is god fucking ugly, which I said I like since it's the home of the orcs. The open world is filled with shite. There are two collectibles to get, artifacts that add some lore to the world, and the Elven door thing, but I didn't give a shit about any of it, so when it comes to quality I don't know. There are challenges scattered around in places, which are rarely difficult, and upgrade your weapon. What they upgrade I couldn't tell you, but they do change the appearance of the weapons which I like. I think they allow you to unlock incredible overpowered abilities that go on cooldown for a long time, unless you decide to pass the time at one of the ghost towers. The only other thing to do in the open world is to interact with the captains, and do the outcast rescue missions.

The outcast rescue missions are possibly the worst parts of the game. You have to untie 3/5/7 prisoners from posts, with optional options that reward some every upgrade points. My problem is that you have to do it 24 times, 4 more times than you have main missions. It would've been fine at half, maybe at 15, but 24 is just padding. Because the game is really short. There's not much to it.

There are other little things that annoyed me about the game, like there being an orc castle that you go to once that could make for a great place to sneak around, only to kill one boss then leave forever. Troy Baker's VA was okay, but sometimes I could hear his accent change, which is probably something only I can really complain about since I talk to people with the accent he was trying to do, and the one that he accidentally would do regularly. You shouldn't have been able to use the bow in combat, or at least not go into slow mo mode, since you can headshot for days with the upgrades.

It's a solid 5/10, if an out of 10 rating means anything to you.

Not knowing SSD's are already outperformed by high grad disc drives.

That's not how it works you retard, with SSDs today you won't get even close to the write limit unless you're running a datacenter or some shit, they'll still last you longer than a regular HDD.

You forgot to mention that every single prisoner looks the same and how the "collectibles" are marked on the map when you activate the magical tower of the place complete with an ingame arrow telling your stupid fuckface character where to go and whether to go up or down to find it.

I will never understand this shit. Collectibles are supposed to be secrets that you are clued on and hinted to until you finally scour the land well enough to find them. They should not be this sightseeing tour your magical map recommends you to go see.

Oh totally. I think that started with AssCreed, having to unlock parts of the map with towers that show you where everything is. Getting them isn't hard either because of how easy it is to climb around. Not good easy. You just hold up and you'll climb on almost everything there is in the world. I don't think I found a single bit of the world that wasn't the world edge that I couldn't just run up and climb.

It is pretty fun, combat gets harder than mashing buttons after the first ten minutes.

faggots here pass around this video because they've never played the game and are disgusted someone might have fun with something they cant afford.

The strongest part of this game, and arguably its selling point, is the nemesis system. Something like that needs to be in every sandbox RPGLooking at you, bannerlord.

The only other interesting thing about it imo is the main character concept. Its a revenant possessed by a wraith.

that's premium butthurt right there