So, Quake live with better graphics?

So, Quake live with better graphics?

Other urls found in this thread:

openarena.ws/smfnews.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It looks slower than Quake was.

It will be shit, if they keep the loadouts and classbased said in E3. Needs a better and longer video.

if they removed champions it'd probably be alright, like hell they'd do that though

its supposed to be an overwatch clone with quake nostalgia. fuck overwatch for everything its done.

Nobody is bunnyhopping, so it does look slower; but you can see the speed of that towards the end. Theyre probably looking to show off weapons, maps, gibs and shit without it all being a twitchy blur. Hopefully theyll show off an actual gameplay trailer.

Yeah, from that it sounded like they wanted an OverQuake type thing, but if they can at least keep classic Quake in there it'll have something at least. So long as all that modern bullshit is relegated to its own mode then its whatever.

how hard is it to just make more quake. a couple new weapons, new maps, new player models. all in quake 3. it shouldnt be this difficult.

This is looking pretty good

There are no loadouts this time so it is at least 1 step up from nu-DOOM mp.

Well, at least there's bhopping/strafe jumping of sorts.

wtf i like quake now

They tried that, it's called Elder and everyone hates it. New maps don't bring in new players any way so that's pointless from the company's perspective.

Have they finally realized people want fast in shooters now?

Its an Overwatch clone, fuck Bethesda, fuck Blizzard, duck their fans and apologists.

They literally just have to add a classic mode or some such mutator on servers that remove character abilities and you've got a normal fucking Quake game. That's all it takes. That's all we have to keep demanding off them to make this game good.

Looks kind of slippery.

Its more like casuals have never played an arena shooter so this is innovation to them.

Its fucking Zenimax, its fucking NuID, Its fucking Bethesda Software, these facts alone will make it suck shit.

This is true too. They couldnt recreate what id did even if they tried.

…have you supported any arena shooters that have been produced lately? Because the market has indicated that the majority of people don't like arena shooters now, and it sounds like you're simply upset because the thing you liked is no longer popular. It's a niche genre now, much like simulators.

I still hope they make a resurgence, which is why I took a proactive step and supported the developer of TOXXIK. It's not terrible.

And I went and dun fucking misspelled it. It's TOXIKK.

MODE

I said MODE. The official feature to turn off passive and active abilities and just play with everyone having movement somewhere between Q3 and CPMA, whatever they choose as the standard for this game. As long as it isn't slower than Q3 it's fine.

I hate the idea of characters with their own skills in arena shooters. That only works in tf2 like class based shooters. In an arena shooter everyone should be on the same ground, no advantages or disadvanages.

This shit looks exactly like UT3.

The problem that nobody can catch same drift Q2-3, UT99-UT2004 did.

You just can't copy those games that easy.

Go play UT4 instead of expecting anything from Beth/Zeni you stupid gullible bastards.

Are you implying this game is legitimately good?

Not yet

I'm really starting to desperately hate Bethesda's entire style of visual design.

Hey guys, did you notice we let you rocket jump?
No?
Well, let's show it again 10 more times. We are not going casual, you see? Please give your money to Zenimax, so it can kill more of your favorite franchises on the future.

This, so fucking much
Every Zenimax game looks like shit

What are the chances that they make rocket splash damage not hurt the user. Its gonna be awful.

I'm not sure how I feel about the game being hero based where they have different abilities. My main concern was loadouts, but it turns out theres no loadouts in the game, so thats good.

So it's basically a worse Unreal Tournament 4.

Why?

I wouldn't be surprised if they speedlock strafejumping.

Of all the early access arena shooters, you pick the worst one.

QL is barely alive. Q3/CPMA is more dead. I'd want a classic mode and CA too before I try QC.

Well, each segment was about 1-3 seconds long so that's realistic.

OpenArena 3 NEVER EVER

Oh fuck. Not again. Will these bethdroenes ever leave this shit alone? They always feel they have to attack old quake fans.

Visually, the game looks like UT3.

Actually, speaking of UT3 I just noticed one of the players had a hoverboard

I just wanted them to go back to the original concept with all the norse mythology and shit.

I'm not interested at all on this thing

FUCKING DROPPED

…That's the OpenArena guy.

Openarena?

Open source clone of Quake 3.

Is it good?

It played almost exactly like Quake 3. It depends on how much you liked Quake 3.

The game doesn't look bad but God knows there'll probably be:

Did I miss anything?

Might check it out.

Look up what Quake was originally going to be before it came out, it was going to be a fantasy game loosely based around Norse mythology, you would play as "Quake" and wield Mjolnir.

You guys aren't cutting to the heart of the issue

You'd think that making a game that already exists with new maps and better graphics would be easy.

Most quake players play with the graphics as simple as possible.
All these details and textures they put into the maps are going to be ignored if their supposed target audience actually buys the game.

Quake hasn't done that since the first game.

Far more people bought Quake 3 than just the current niche.
A good artstyle goes a long way to opening up the game to newer players, while having options to lower the graphics will satisfy the competitive players as well.

Overwatch have no completion right now so this is a good thing. OW is also slow as fuck while Quake Champions looks fast

Pass

shit
shit
after a decade tossing turds at us no sane person is glad to see a new Bethesda title, especially another butchering of a classic title.

Color me surprised

vid related, the Quake Champions experience™

no, it has classes and skills.

i just play Xonotic or some other free arena shooter occassionally. the commercial arena shooters are either early access disasters or you have Quake Live, which is basically Quake 3. commercial multiplayer FPSes aren't any good anymore, its always nickel and diming on the maps and/or some other DLC shit, then the stupid thing gets shut down. you'd get more value donating to some open source project at this point.

they have a help wanted sign on the frontpage, the only way i'd see it going faster is if they got more help: openarena.ws/smfnews.php

I'm underage - the post

Mark my words:
It will be mediocre with extremely shitty aspects like the Champions, muddy graphics and some other shit i can't remember right now because I'm drunk. It'll be defended by people who have never played the original, it will be lawded by the same journalists who say vidya should be art just like the last of us and Gone Homo, it will be marketed as TEH RETRO SHOOTER OF DA MONTH! yet again, exactly like nuDoom.

In fact, I expect it to be nuDoom all over again.
I expect the exact same shit.
I'm not gonna make a gay music video this time because I was never that invested in Quake myself, but I can see when a corpse is being dragged around for an extra buck

fuck this
fuck everyone involved

I tried googling a "disgust and despair" image for this, but it was too specific for me. god fucking damnit shit fuck cunt ass bitch fuck

Literally bought Quake 3: Arena today and played it for the first time in years.

Why the fuck is this new "Quake" so slow?

user let me make you want to kill yourself even more: They're probably going to make immunity to your own damage a perk

everyone will be damaged severely by the explosion except one guy who's ability is being immune to rocket jumps, but his jumps are shorter than others
every weapon shoves him back a bit
He can pogo with the lightning gun
he has decreased damage output and a huge bonus to gauntlet damage

This is oddly specific. Are you at Qcon?

No. I'm at work. And I don't work at Qcon.
I think I've tuned into their mindset when they make "balanced competitive" game characters. It's really not that hard, only takes 2 or 3 blows to the head with a metal hammer.

I guess I'm going to have to say this a lot while I shill for Zenithesda for free. Here it goes again:

That's it. So you don't get whacky combinations like that, and I seriously doubt that any of the characters' passive ability will be related to damage. Maybe health at spawn for some tank character, or better yet, less health for some fast but squishy character. That would be tolerable. But more damage with the same weapon? Never. No way.

Anyone who suggests such things is just out of touch with current id / the former QL, now QC devs.

I could understand shit taste, whiteknighting and general stupidity of trying to add abilities or any kind of differences between players in an arena shooter, but that sentence is what gets to me.
Generalization.
Pointing the finger.
Being "out of touch" on the wrong side of history

Nah, fuck you buddy.

I've been following QL and id closely ever since the announcement and I've absorbed every bit of the admittedly scarce information (including rumors) there is on QC. I only care about being right. If the available information pointed to horrible shit like different damage per character or multiple attributes stacked on one character I'd be on the bandwagon that wants to see them fail immediately. But it doesn't.

It's weird to see Holla Forums having its typical reaction when for once you know it's unwarranted. I'm usually part of the crowd and I haven't been wrong agreeing with doom and gloom once. I get why it's the natural reaction, I really do. It's just not accurate this time. And I will be proven right when the game reaches beta or whatever.

How is it unwaranted?
How is Bethesda/Zenimax/nuId taking a well known and respected franchise and putting the "flavour of the season" spin on it not deserving of the current reaction?
Nowdays it's team based shooters or more accurately named CRAPCUNTS.
Before that it was ASSFAGGOTS.
And before that it was ZOMBIES.
And before that it was MMO.
And before that it was BROWN.

Sure, it probably won't be EXACTLY as bad we predict it to be. We predict the worst case scenario. Yahtzee was right about not being hyped for anything - that way you're never disappointed despite devs' and publishers' attempts. You just have to live with shit on your mind all day.

Oh and before I forget: I never said ALL of the horrors I've listed in had to be combined into one character.

You were very clearly talking about on character, come on now.

If that's not about the same person then you failed at English.

It's unwarranted because for all we know these abilities don't even matter. id would be retarded not to make them server-optional like loadouts are in QL so even if they suck we're still getting a proper Quake 3 successor, except with no mod support. Regarding mod support: There are enough fully moddable Quake-likes out there and guess what, nobody ever fucking plays them. That's how much the community loves and needs mods. Passionate modders / hobby devs have spent hundreds of thousands of hours painstakingly created dozens of Quake clones over the last decade+ but except for Nexuiz/Xonotic and Reflex nobody played any of them and Xonotic is a weird game I won't touch. Reflex has ever improving modern graphics and a real-time level editor that doesn't require any dev skills so it would be a shame if that game died any time soon. But it's got those floaty PQL physics when most people want VQL so it's positioned itself firmly in a niche. Bad for growth but potentially good for longevity. Less competition in that niche. Lastly, Diabetical by James "Dick" 2GD is more direct competition for QC and also has a map editor like Reflex, pretty cool concept but weird visuals, less mainstream appeal than QC.

Conclusion: The way forward for Quake players will be to main QC on classic servers as it will get the biggest community and most seamlessly continue the tradition of Quake Live. And if you're into user-created content or a mapmaker like me you can choose to play some Reflex or Diabetical on the side.

Any one of those four lines could be applied to the character. You're just nitpicking at this point.

again with the bullshit generalization of "oh silly user, you're overreacting, am I right, guys? We all know what will actually happen, so just get in line and pre-order, goy!"

What kind of reasoning is that? That's like saying "Diablo 3's lack of Offline mode is justified because most diablo clones were offline and guess what? Not that many people have played them!". Of course not that many people have played them because they're not as popular as the big fish!

that's bullshit and you know it. Casuals will outnumber veterans every day of the week.

This will be nuDoom 2: Electric Boogaloo. It'll be forgotten within single digit months by the majority and leave a bad taste in old-school players' mouths.

The game aesthetically looks like classic Quake which is actually something I never thought they would manage. It's probably gonna be shit in the end because CrapCunts

Seriously guys.

Why does it look like such shit, visually

How does every Bethesda game look so smeary and bland

Aside from the weapons I think the art style is solid, beautiful even in shots like this. I'm a sucker for gothic architecture since UT99 so I'm biased here. But the lighting and other technical details are nice, as well. What's the problem (again, aside from the weapons)?

Q1 & Q3 got everything right
developers still go for graphics while actual fans want framerates
soulless shit

sup shil,l

They seem like they'd look much better in a legitimate Quake 1-type singleplayer game. It doesn't quite have quite the same feel as Q3 for the most part. Plus, for a fast-paced Quake type game there's a TON of lighting effects.

Also how can any artist look at these weapons and say 'that looks cool' when that is clearly overly-designed bullshit

Lighting effects and muzzle flash can be turned off in QL and I expect no less of QC. I will absolutely throw a tantrum if the entire room is lit up by my LG like the leaked gameplay footage shows.

And yes, "overdesigned" is the best way to describe them. Oh well, I'll make them transparent or deactivate them entirely any way.

At least this time they bothered to have the weapons' color match their HUD/ammo/simple item icons.

There's no indication they're going for muh graphics at all. The game doesn't look better than Doom 2016, in fact lighting on weapons / characters is significantly worse and that's the non-baked stuff, the real-time stuff. The map lighting is baked with megatextures so doesn't cost any performance. So a step DOWN in graphics despite the game being a PC exclusive. However Doom singleplayer runs on your PC, this game will run a lot better because it's closed off maps, easy to optimize, and it clearly uses older, simpler rendering techniques. Doom SP Vulkan with medium settings runs at around 100 fps, usually well above, on my r9 280 and good old i7 920. I'm expecting 150-200 fps from QC, easily.

Arena shooters deserve to be dead tbh. They've had their day.

Filtered.

I agree with you about QC, but as a Quake 1 modder you can fucking end yourself. Mods are the best part of these games.

….. have any arena shooters with good business models been produced lately? Last time I checked Toxikk was shit, Reflex was in early access and had many issues such as using a proprietary windows only engine and having incompetent devs who can't plan things out properly, UT 4 plans to make money from the way its engine is licenced, and Quake Live had a shitty business model prior to going pay to win and the people in charge of maintaining it now don't deserve any money after switching the business model, removing linux support, adding the heavy machine gun which completely breaks certain maps, and moving it to steam only. And don't even get me started on the Arena shooter drought we've had for years.

No it hasn't, its indicated that AAA devs aren't interested in making them because they don't pander to the lowest common denominator. If an actually good arena shooter were to be released, one that had a good marketing budget as well it might not sell as well as the call of duty's but it would sure as hell make money.

That's a perfectly valid reason to be upset because arena shooters are multiplayer games: they require a community to be able to play. Sure you can do offline botmatches but bots are usually either cheat when it comes to aiming or are retarded and predictable. Its just not the same thing.

Let's face it, ID and Bethesda had their shot and they blew it. The new Quake will turn out just like the new Doom. People will suck its dick but it will probably be a farily average game, people will say it captures the essence of the original but it won't andpeople will continue to play custom single player maps for quake 1 and log onto to quake 3 ffa servers and quake live clan arena and duel servers while the new quake fails to have the same longevity due to the company's anti-consumer business practices(denuvo made modding for Doom 2016 impossible and they'll likely pull some draconian DRM bullshit with this game too).

At least Crom ctf, freezetag, and FFA servers are still alive. Never seen any shortage of players there. CPMA though….. I wish more people played that only see people on the servers occasionally.

The new quake looks ugly, its art style is too realistic and its weapon models are absolutely hideous. Sure its got more graphical fidelity but its as visually bland as an arena shooter gets. I don't like UT 4's art style much either but its got more personality than OverQuake's

Two points, first of all you're using an official game, not one of those fan clones so you're proving my point if you think about it. And secondly, you're probably talking about singleplayer mods and there's really no relation between that and a new multiplayer game having mod support or not. I like mods, I'm just stating facts here.

Why do you think that fans of the original Quake games are their target audience? That's nowhere near their target audience

That money goes to zenimax you traitorous uncultured shit

Looks like they just copied all the buzzwords from the old game like

to appeal to people who have heard of the game but never actually played it when it came out. So they buy it based on quake's reputation when in reality it only copies the outwards effects rather than having a true understanding of how Quake III was built or of it's community.

so, no bunny jump?

There will most likely be a classic mode. The devs are well aware that the existing community does NOT want to play with "abilities". But the whole marketing angle to get new players in is to make it seem like the game is like Overwatch when it's really just a Quake game + character shit.

this looks better in my infected eyes yeah I have an eye infection

So Harding is actually making it? I thought he'd give up a year after announcing it.

you knwo, i would just like those as toys,…

Turns out they made their own in-house engine and there's a multi-user real-time map editor so yeah, a team of like two programmers would take several years for that.

Looks worse than UT3. (Tweaked)
Not impressed.
Higher resolution's fault.

Should use 480x270i
240fps. Would play the best multiplayer wise. No prerendered frames. Lowest imput lag.

Focus on world constantly changing so there is a reason to keep moving. Use megatextures in areas that don't change. Link areas by them. Those areas safe zones. Go through multiplayer to get to the next.

Multiplayer with hundreds of players so getting to next area is hard. The longer you stay in multiplayer area the stronger your player is in it. Health regen doesn't stop, bfg doing enough damage to wipe out someone with levels of health nothing else can touch.

Carrying it stops health regen, and degrades health over time.

Also need to go to next hub area to turn health into upgrades. So people get greedy, linger in matches to get upgrades. Killing other players adding the health shot off them to their own.

Need so many kills or health to unlock different hubs.
environment expecting higher levels of mastery the further into them. Jumping and firing at exact times. A rush for some players as they pull off precise navigation at high speed. Firing portals and going through to anothers portal And using them to move.
Some areas dedicated to guns. Sniping, machine gun, rockets, shotgun. Areas that require water movement with lightning guns.

Needs more of a grim theme too.

I'm surprised as fuck that it actually kind of resembles Quake Live. I thought for sure they'd go for something more casual for the currentyear audience.
Granted, trailers can be misleading, but for now I'll keep the game on my radar and hope they won't fuck it up.

there was bunny hopping when the trailer said pure speed

looks fun but I hope none of that meme dialogue is in the game

I'm this close to fam-posting right now. Just stop.

It looks worse than UT4 in every conceivable way; the graphics are worse, it looks slower, the weapons seem too simplistic, fucking league of overwatch hero bullshit, wallhacks, no neat movement mechanics like wallrunning or sliding, messy art style, forgettable music, and closed source.

maybe at least it will get finished in time if they have more than two fucking developers working on it holy shit Epic get your shit together fuck. I know that I can already play the game pretty much 100% but until you fucks finish texturing the maps and say the game is released noone will play it with me.

That actually looks pretty fun and I like the art style but if the announcer is gonna be like that there better be an audio option to mute it.

embed related

I didn't even know he was making this until you mentioned it just now

Do you think bridge to rail will still be possible without >abilities?

It just doesn't look like Quake. Quake is gothic brown castles and metal and shit, not generic mossy stone ruins

Might as well use this thread to shill UT4 instead of this garbage.
pros

cons

shill harder fam

You forgot to mention it`s only works on windows 10, or at least it was like that months ago when I tried to install

Nigger I'm playing this on motherfucking ganoo slash Linux and I've played it on W7 before. That has been the case for at least a year now which is when I started playing.

maybe you're just retarded, user

I played it fine on Win 7, so it must be something on your end.

Nice. I wish my 450GTS could run it at an acceptable framerate. In the meantime, though, I'll shill Xonotic.

And this is the only other post we need in this thread, I think the best thing to do as far as nuBethesda is concerned is to ignore it unless it's particularly entertaining like both of the Boston salt parties.

Jesus, Quake fans are pissed.

Ah fuck, now the fucking bethesda shills are going to come here and act like we're entitled for not liking the new quake game.

Fuck off; Nobody asked for a class based shooter in mainline quake, if we wanted a class based shooter we would just get the original Team Fortress mod for Quake 1.

Literally all you had to do was make Quake multiplayer again with updated graphics and moddability. You cannot improve upon perfection.

That's what you get for posting on 4chan.

I didn't make these images, I just saved them. I mean, why wouldn't I? It's irrefutable proof that bethesda/zenimax shills exist.

Noone actually plays UT looking like that. Well, noone who wants to win any way.

Kill one community to have the biggest chance at initial profits from the new one.

I don't think they're going free to play with Champions. It would be a mistake if they did.

It would be a mistake if they didn't. Unless they want that non-existant blunderborn dollar. Or perhaps the evolve buck. ;^)

Fucking kill me.

Both of those games were "new IPs", horrible comparison. A new Quake game automatically gets enough attention that the people who would like it will be aware of it and may buy it. Whether they do depends on whether it's a good fucking game and the initial players like it or not. Given that it's Quake many people will buy it no matter what.

Free to play isn't profitable, never has been. Valve using free games as a front for a major gambling operation doesn't count. Free to play games in and of itself have failed to prove profitable in any general, reliable sense. Ingame ads have failed, and any game where you pay for gameplay features has failed. Only the gambling-for-cosmetics approach seems to pay off and that would be rejected by any real Quake player, so they would only have newcomers to the franchise and people who got tired of CSGO or whatever.

Overwatch is a simple pay once affair and worked out perfectly for Blizzard. Quake Champions will cost 20-30 bucks, mark my words.

That's dishonestly assuming that Battleborn was not sold on being the next game from "the borderlands guys"

Quite easy for me to tell you that what you just said is completely false.

Take note of the last two words in your sentence.