/agdg/ - Page 13 edition

(Now with 100% better OP)
/agdg/ + /vm/ thread
Post your progressk, ask any doubts you have about development, or ask feedback for your game or mod.
Remember, there's also #8/agdg/ in Rizon for resources, we also have resources in >>>/agdg/ and >>>Holla Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

blenderguru.com/articles/new-blender-ui-proposal/
picosong.com/DCb9/
picosong.com/DCQu/
registry.gimp.org/node/69
katsbits.com/tutorials/textures/how-not-to-make-normal-maps-from-photos-or-images.php
armory3d.org/
luboslenco.com/notes/
allegorithplease
ika.neocities.org/sigma_engine.html
mega.nz/#!o9FmTazY
mega.nz/#!o9FmTazY!-1N1G2GR1czOSvQOGxGjZZQI01RcoPWykbQ5XA7W9wQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i feel dumb
i changed the camera position to Slerp instead of Lerp, and now the controls feel fucking perfect
should have done this ages ago

So I had mentioned CSG editing/quake3-style BSP levels in the last thread. Got netradiant installed because apparently gtkradiant is no longer maintained. Install Xonotic so it runs, plus some textures, plus something that will let me run around the levels that I prototype. Get a texture of my own recognized by the editor. Start cutting away at a cube to make a rock, so far so good. Move 1 vertex a little, it collapses in on itself. I am really out of practice with this CSG shit.

Anyone got tips for getting terrain lighting/materials to not look like complete shit in unity? This world is procedural, so I can't do any real baking.

use more textures i guess
otherwise you gotta figure out some way to not have it look repeating
i'm sure there was something on the asset store that did that, might have been a shader

To make terrain of the same type not look like complete shit, use random texture variations.

Terrain lighting is all a matter of shaders, and the appearance of your lighting really depends on whether or not your shaders have some quality data to work with.
So make sure your normals are nicely done (not automagically done, as those look like shit).

Also, use a triplanar shader for blending textures, and it's performed based on slope generally (you can find quite a few out there for free); so that with scaling makes it look pretty quality.
There's more advanced techniques out there that apply to procedural landscapes, but I'm too lazy to find the links.

I'm going to make an MMORPG

I believe in you user.

proceduraly generated
roguelike
super realistic graphics

My AI is generated. Can I use that to lure in a fanbase of ignorant retards?

Depends on how many more buzzwords can you attribute to it.

Not many because I don't want to.

Then no, you can't use it to lure a fanbase of ignorant retards.

What is the game about anyway? Is that the extent of the game's playable area? Is the player ever going to be in a position to see the textures tiling that bad (like by flying or something)?
Also look into implementing wang tiles.

Are you still rusing or can you elaborate on that?

It's an AI planning system that basically takes in a set of world conditions and generates a plan of tasks to do based on those conditions, resulting in reactive behaviour from the AI instead of more static behaviours like you get with behaviour trees. Not finished yet, but getting there. Will take a hell of a lot of tweaking for the AI code to make the behaviours run nicely however.

Think of games like STALKER or FEAR but even better.

If you replace 2 days with 2 months then it's me.

Get on my level, it's been nearly 2 weeks and i've literally done nothing.

just fucking give me an aneurysm or something to get me off fucking Holla Forums

i have finally achieved my lifelong dream
only downside is that the player is gonna be a mute since i never bothered to design the dialogue to work with a pause for the player's audio
so no van lines

How do you even get to that point? Just do it faggets, or do you even want to make game?

I haven't done game dev in months but that's because I haven't had time to in between art and non-game dev projects.

That silence feels super awkward

Add footsteps or some other shuffling sounds next

i'm putting those back in when i get to dodges

I want to make money, and have stopped caring about the game part and am making a shitty browser meme game. That probably has a lot to do with it.

It's been some time since Air Control was available.

Get to it.

Steamspy was a godsend, showing me that I must make something to break even at 2,000-3000 sales only

I also haven't done shit in an entire week

I'm becoming no dev again

fug

added extra sound for additional immersion
if anyone has any appropriate sound effects to contribute i'd be right happy to put them in
also anyone got a clue why i can't watch my own mp4s when i upload them here?

To the user from the previous thread:

I'd say about 3-4 months. I didn't know anything about OpenGL or 3d maths before this, thankfully the internet is full of resources.

It's a bit hard to say how long it took me to make this engine, because depending on how you look at it, I might have finished it in 3 months, or I may still be working on it, since I'm still adding features.

Developing an engine is only generic until you hit a point where you start implementing features that you might not need, and that's when the development of a generic engine should switch to development of a game with an engine around it, imho. I started working on gameplay as soon as it was possible, and I only add features to the engine if my game needs it.

Source control!

Can a nice user who knows a thing or two about space help me out here a bit?
I'm starting to like the look of my autocannons which picks up speed as they warm up, but i'm struggling to make it look nice while the ship is moving. The particle effect kind of just stays where they were emitted. Is that how gunfire smoke would behave in space? If i move forwards, would the smoke that appeared also move at the same velocity as the ship that fired it?

What source control should i use for GMS?

it would

Any mass will keep its velocity unless otherwise acted upon. Since there is almost no matter in space, they would indeed keep going. Also things would dissipate very quickly due to space being almost a vacuum. Oh and I imagine ejected gasses from a gun would also shoot forward much further than on Earth due to the lack of air resistance.

Smoke in space would look a lot different from smoke in an atmosphere. It wouldn't be slowing down for one. I'd say it looks about right.

As for doing it while moving, the velocity of the particles should have the ships velocity added to it.

Aight that helps a lot, thanks anons!

Humm, the smoke I assume is from the explosive force causing the round to eject from the cannon, and the hence the smoke escaping the muzzle of the cannon (pressure differences).
So, due to pressure differences, the smoke would go towards the lower pressure (space) faster than usual; in addition to the speed of particles bouncing around before hitting the pressure difference.
With the initial velocity imparted by the explosive force + pre-speed of particles bouncing around in a pressurized environment + post-lower pressure of space, and the momentum of the ship would probably look like the smoke was traveling at about the same speed or maybe slightly faster (if the ship is traveling at a constant speed), but forming blobs of smoke that will quickly dissipate due to the whole idea of space being a near perfect vacuum (think of it like opening the stem of a blown up balloon, and the air escaping towards the lower pressure space in regards to how fast it would evacuate the chamber).

I think that about covers it?

Thank you, scientist man!

redplebbitmedia, please leave

Re-Posting my gameplay video from last thread

I've speed up everything since hearing some feedback, and it feels better now. Im going to work on adding reloading and ammunition pickups to the game, as well as make the robot enemy shoot five shots at once instead of one, so its more threatening.

Are you going to do something about the lack of lighting and horrible sound effects?

lighting is too large of a feature for me to implement and still make the game in a reasonable amount of time- so I cant put it in.

The sound effects are the best I could find on freesound, i'm not sure where to get better ones.

I like to ask this question to every developer I know:

If you suddenly have your dream budget, what would you do?

hello john

who is this?

lol wut

Nobody knows.

Lighting isn't too large for how essential it is. If you're really going to make 3D vidya in [Current Year] not having a lighting system of some kind is simply a fucking terrible idea.

Sit in my room doing what I'm doing currently.

Depending on what you mean by "having your dream budget", I might quit my job and also spend that time on this, too.

reminds me of this shitty gamemaker game I saw a video of long ago, it was a FPS and all the voice acting was microsoft sam. best line?

basically the entire game was the house filled with bad guys, but it was really dark, no lights. if you flipped a switch to turn the lights on, the game lagged

anyway if you don't have lighting you better get your ass on it son. Lighting is like one of the most important things to making a 3d game look good.

I would have to add light-maps to the game engine, which would take a long time. First of all I would need to figure out how to bake them according to light sources, and scale them according to the size of the surfaces that they are on, and then store them in my map files, which means changing a lot about how the map files are written too and read from. And then I have to figure out how to blend it together with the texture in openGL. It would take me about a month knowing how bad I am with big features.

Or I could use openGL's lighting system and see how that works- I'll try that out first.

I didn't realize the man in the picture is John - I have the same name, so I thought it was someone who knew me.

buy a giant house and never fucking touch a computer again

Donate a part of the shekels so the Blender engine niggers finally makes a optimized Ptex support, because fuck UV maps.

Better player character than what I had before. I am aware that the animation needs a lot of work.

Also touched up another of the models now that I know what reflection mapping is.

I forget to add also another sheqel donation to fucking ZDoom/Skullfuck so that they can make a decent OpenGL 3D render without Graf Zahl the Nvidia nigger and his fucking 3.0 enforcement, for a fucking sprite sheet support and the possibility to prevent filename clash so that one doesn't overwrite the other and causing funny effects due to multiple wads being loaded.

A proper 3D map support so that the maps can have those noice Unreal 1/Half-Life 1 style and proper physic handling so a mesh collision can be used for practically everything.

Too bad it will never happen but a man can dream, can he not?

so i think i finally have the punch values figured out
the damage will depend on three things:
the base damage of a punch (left jab - 3, right jab - 5, left hook - 7, right hook - 10)
the velocity of the fist at the time of the collision (ranges from 0.5 - 3.5)
the amount of time that has passed since the animation has started
basically, like in hajime no ippo when the coach explains in the second fight with ippo vs miyata, if a counter hits you, but it hasn't managed to extend entirely, it won't deal as much damage
so in this case, each punch has a minimum time that needs to pass for it to start doing the base damage, or more
and it has a minimum percentage that needs to have passed in order to deal damage at all
example:
right hook has 10 base damage, minimum time needed to pass is 0.8 seconds, at that point the fist is in the correct position to do the perfect amount of damage
the minimum percentage for it to do damage is 60%, so if you hit the target before 60% of 0.8 seconds have passed, then you won't be dealing that damage, and the punch will continue until enough time has passed, or the punch misses and finishes
so you can move the player to punch faster, but deal more/less damage (less damage if you punch too fast, more damage if you time it right, perfect damage if you time it right AND get a decent collision)
so a hook can range from 8-16 or so, or not deal damage at all
worst case scenario the collision will be shit and you won't get any bonus from the velocity, the timing will be too early, and you'll only do 0.6 times the damage, so you'd be doing (10+0)*(0.6/0.8)=7.5
and best case scenario
(10+3)*(1/0.8)=16.25
i might have gone a bit too autistic with it, but i think it works right

Just testing the physics. Still need another layer of dress. Then tweak and add more animations, then finally gameplay.

If it's the total velocity of the fist, will strafing while jabbing increase the damage?

i take it back, this isn't autistic enough
getting the exact timing right is perfectly
after testing, i was mostly getting 8-10 damage with the right hook, but on a few rare occasions it went 11-13
on two occasions it went to 16
and just once, i somehow managed to get it up to 22, which i didn't even think i can do according to previous tests

shit it actually did
how do i only get the local velocity?
pic related is from doing a right jab while strafing left/right

Looking good, user.

there is no air for smoke to ignite into a flame in space.
you could make it into a bright flash of energy and make it dissipate.

you should go into gml folder and copy the folder as a backup.

that hair is far too light.

Probably more trouble than it's worth.
I'd consider using the character's velocity and just making it a bonus when going forward on a straight punch, penalty when backward, bonus when stepping left on a right hook, etc.
Though I don't know how easy that is to do in the context you're working in.

Alternately, you could get the surface normal of the fist at the time of the hit and only count the velocity along that line. That'll naturally take care of angles that should partially benefit.

that works
ah fuck me, that reminded me
i USED to do it like that and at some point i scrapped it for one reason or another
and now i knew there was something similar to local velocity, but i couldn't find it when searching through the rigidbody variables
turns out it was in CollisionInfo, which is used as an argument in collisions in unity

Make sure those cucks finally make a new UI or you'll shut them down!
fuckers think they made the best thing ever but its garbage.

does anyone know what language gamemaker engine uses and where i can get documentation and tutorials?

With the proposed UI that they made? Or do you mean a complete new one?

blenderguru.com/articles/new-blender-ui-proposal/

I agree some UI changes should be made, the vertical tabs with vertical text is fucking terrible done, what the fuck were they thinking 'bout it?

did you just use cloth physics on hair?
hair is slightly springy but always sets back into its original shape. starting from your hair follicles.

something like this.

They actually laughed at the guy who proposed this and said it was impossible.

also you have to learn a fucking shortcut for every single goddamn action. you you end up having to learn 200 shortcuts to do 1 function.

yea, this is the correct way of doing it i guess
float dif = (targ.PunchDelta() / curpunch.MinStartTime); if (dif >= curpunch.MinAcceptableAnimPassed && body.controls.Weaving == false) { float mag = info.relativeVelocity.magnitude * 2;//bonus damage based on collision int rag = (int)((curpunch.Damage + mag) * dif);//actual damage, based on bonus damage, multiplied by acceptable animation percentage
now strafing doesn't seem to have as much of an effect
although i do get random moments when it ends up hitting too well, like a jab doing 20 damage by accident
i'll ignore that though

Yep. I like it though. Reminds me of Alice in Madness Returns.

She's going to be flying in the air a lot during combat.

歪みねえな

The definition of autism, everyone. Why are you enginedeving if you have a deadline for this project? The Butt Pirates in Butts user in these threads is using the doom engine, or some variant thereof, you know, the one that does everything you want to do already out of the box. Difference being he actually has something of a game made, with movement and action and shooting and that big one, lighting. What is your time constraint anyway? Summer project due when middle school starts up again at the end of the month? You're not trying to sell this shit, are you?

I thought there would be no smoke because there is no air in space.

Yeah it wont since you cannot even fire a bullet in space. But if we disregard that, the question was less about the smoke and more about the velocity of the particles fired from the ship.

Jesus christ how horrifying.

Indeed, especially when those shortcuts are using a retarded combination so you have to do a damn finger gymnastic to use it.

Through to be fair at least the new UI isn't that terrible/hard to use like it used to be in the past, and the way how the transform tools works is actually pretty good done and doesn't feel so sluggish.

I could slowly transition from Wings3D to Blender, there is some functionality which I am missing that I could do in Wings3D like selecting the object and curving it nicely, Blender can do it too but it needs to be done via the Curves functionality which is for me annoying.

It's called 'Sweep' in Wings3D.

I tried with 3DS max too a bit but meh I don't really liked how it operates.

An actual Role-Playing Game
With Role playing elements
Ergo no Skyrim shit, where it doesnt matter which lass you chose, and you're fucking omnipotent
And with good game design, with lots of lots of lots of love

I think of that game every day

I will make it, or I die

I am afraid that if I take too long to make my game, I might lose interest in the project.

I want to get better at programming, and writing game engines is the most fun thing for me to program. But I still want to finish my projects every so often so that I have something to show for it. Also, the engine has lots of mistakes and bad choices, so I want to be able to restart every so often by finishing a project.

I have figured out what I am going to do about lighting- I will use openGL lighting and make it work in the same way the doom engine does lights, where the light source is the player and everything gets darker in the distance. That's a lot easier than light maps.

Being able to pay the artists that drew stuff for me instead of having them work 4free and feeling really bad about it.
Commission a whole ton of spritework.

Art's always been my biggest problem, a bissel of shekels would go a long way to remedy that.

I know I bitch about this a lot in here but god damn:

Update Demonsteele first, Term. Shihong still needs a player sprite.

I am working on lighting. Its right now horribly broken.

And still looks better! Carry on with this, please.

thanks- I will eventually get it working, once I figure out how openGL lights work.

This.
It's already much less of an eyesore, no offense.

Splash!

The splash feels kind of slow, and your robot disappears too fast, because it seems too small to sink this fast.

trigger warrning, video contains a presentation of a trigger opening the "door"

That's a really neat effect. Seems like it's only using about three-ish sprites? Pretty ergonomic.

Nice font man, haven't seen such shit in any recent games.

Hehe, it looks kinda cool doesn't it ? I didn't make it though.

Where my wannabe composers at? How do I become Yoko Shimomura?

This sound library (Albion I) is comprehensive, but the timings are shit. Show me what you've been working on.

picosong.com/DCb9/

What is your problem with the timings?
I cannot understand your problem, tis is a comfy little song.

Mayb the solo is a little bit short, could be a bit longer and more playful, but it's pretty nice.

This sounds like a Tomb Raider Song. namely boss song.

That's the "improved" version, but to get it to this state, in addition to changing some instruments, I had to turn off "round robin" which is what plays varied samples, so they don't sound as repetitive. This should be especially noticeable on the driving bass staccato. Here's how it sounded before:

picosong.com/DCQu/

Basically, when they do the recording of the instruments to make the sample pack, the sound engineer has to cut the recordings into individual samples. Depending on the engineer's opinions and taste, he might leave the whole sound, and not just where it makes sense to start playing it. This is technically "more natural," of a sound, but it makes fast passages a pain, as they'll be somewhat off timing, and video game music, in general, tends to be somewhat fast.

Yeah, now I get what you're talking about
What software do you use? On loonix, I use Musescore, but I'd like to have some nicer woodwind instrument sounds (for big bands)

give all the textures a bumpmap.

registry.gimp.org/node/69

I'm on Windows 7. I'm using FL Studio, as I found it to be the easiest software to jump into, but I've considered moving to something else. I'd like to learn Pro Tools, if for no other reason than because it's the industry standard, and someone might expect me to use it someday.

Iv'e managed to improve the lights a bit, instead of trying to figure out openGL's lighting model I just made it so that the polygons are blended with a darker color the farther away they are from a light source. It works rather well.

I could, but im trying to keep an older look to the game.

None taken, its nice to have people to criticize you. I probably would have released the game without lighting if people hadn't commented on it.

and another picture, I think im satisfied with it.

just because you want to make it old school does not mean you should not take advantage of modern techniques. it would make your world less flat looking and more alive.

katsbits.com/tutorials/textures/how-not-to-make-normal-maps-from-photos-or-images.php

this's not a bumpmap you show, it's normal map. Bump maps and different and consist of black and white image.

i know its normal maps, but its basically the same shit.

I will try and implement it when I am polishing the game after most of the programming is done. Right now I am still trying to finish implementing all the weapons and enemies.

This.

All the graphics card (and shaders) care about are values in the range of 0..1
You could map, RGB channels to a normal map, and the alpha to a bump map, for example. Of course that's less intuitive than just making specific and optimized images for each.

Looks cool user. What kind of game are these models for? It looks chibi-robo inspired.

It's a LOT better than without the lighting. The bleach white look of the walls from before pales in comparison(no pun intended).

thats just your autism speaking.

I'm kickstarting now /agdg/ and everything is starting to slow down. What should I do to get more eyes on it?

I guess I should say what I've done so far: E-mailed journos (got two pro-ethics sites to write articles from an 8ch list on /gamergate/), youtuber emails, le leddit shill, social media.

Too late user, sounds just like my game, except that mine is not supposed to actually be online.

Saw your thread a while back on the dead board, glad to see you're still alive. It always bugged me that you went side scrolling 2d vs top down or isomorphic though. What made you make that decision? Doesn't it make pathfinding and such a big pain in the ass vs top-down 2d? Plus jumping, combat involving projectiles, etc. You don't think players will find it tedious to jump around a lot if they have to do a lot of town -> hunting zone -> dungeon -> back to town to trade sort of running around? I'm having flashbacks of backtracking in the 2d metroid games.

Do you have or have plans to be able to group with AI players as a traditional MMO party, as in, tank, healer, dps trinity kind of shit? Or is it like a modern MMO where everyone is solo playing and spamming auction chat and memes.

I wish I knew, bruv. You should probably email a lot more sites than just two. Did you do nichegamer yet?

Voted for you on Greenlight.

Thanks, user. Well, I e-mailed about 120 journos (including nichegamer) and about 60+ indie based youtubers. Oneangrygamer and Altered Confusion have done articles so far (generating a grand total of 1 click each).

I kinda regret going side scrolling too, but for other reasons. I went with that option because 3D was too time consuming for such a game, and I preferred side scrolling vs top down because I like seeing full character bodies and the most important thing, the backgrounds and sky. So basically I knew it was going to me way harder to program the AI for a platformer but I wanted the nice side scrolling view. Now I regret it because no one wants to hear about another platformer game unless it looks amazing.

I do have plans for parties, guilds, and drama between NPCs. I had no plans for classes, I wanted players to play depending on their chosen skills and weapons, so a healer would have more magic skills. There will be no auction at all, because I loved seeing everyone with his customized shop laying everywhere on the map in mmorpgs, made everything look more lively. Also, no memes in my game, I really hate that because it's lazy humor.

Anyway glad you saw my thread and you were interested in the game, if you want to know why it's been so dead it's for multiple reasons. For the past months, almost close to a year I've been swinging from one random shitty job to another, trying to learn web development in the spare time in case no one buys the game, learn how to draw so I can make art for the game, redesign all the story, characters and gameplay. And I wasted like another month or two trying to see if 3D is a better idea or not, it's all over the place. So very little progress got made… I'm gonna get back on track soon.

So here is a new mechanic i have been working on, let me hear what you think!

So if you do not know, the large ship you see here is controlled by two players, 1 in charge of movement and some weapons, while the other is more damage oriented.

The ultimate ability, which is what i have been working on, unhooks the two modules on the ships sides. When this happens, both players right stick controls one of the ejected modules. They create a sick lightning wall between them which damages enemies, but both players have to be in tune, because if they split too far apart they lose the chain and will do no damage.
The effects still have miles to go and they control like shit, but i think this has potential.

Here's some concept art for some levels that I've made in the meantime.

Cool, I guess, if you're into that kind of 2D. I'm working on a single player, 1st-person rpg at the moment, in the vein of King's field + party play, with the feel being an offline MMORPG; why I took an interest in your project in the first place. I played Everquest for way too many years and consider its dungeons some of the best I've ever encountered in gaming. You don't just "beat" them end to end once or twice like some shitty instance, you have to master them, over days or months of hunting there, living in them. In order to even survive, you need to know the layout by heart, mob spawn locations, mob levels, which ones cast nasty shit, which will run at low hp and pull friends, which mobs need to pulled a certain way or they'll glitch through a wall and pull friends, named mob spawn locations, named mob placeholders, and on and on. Pic related: bad as fuck old-world EQ dungeon maps. Straight up CSG, low poly but every bit made by hand, no prefab bullshit ala elder scrolls games. Twisty, organic, claustrophobic, traps and mobs around every corner. None of this "corridor with trash mobs, corridor with trash mobs, big round room with Boss 1, corridor with trash mobs" WoW bullshit. The kind of dungeons I'm going for, along with a bit of Dark Souls-esque keys, one-way doors, verticality, shortcuts, etc. kind of intra-zone progression. I had played with 2D in the past but I'd be pretty hard-pressed to do what I have in mind in anything but 3D.

That said, It's pretty ambitious so for now I'm working on a "1 race, 3-4 classes, 1 town, 1 adjacent newb zone, 1 dungeon off of that" as a test-bed, proof of concept thing.

thanks- proper lighting is a huge pain, but this lazy lighting should be enough to fool people.

Neat.

If you're kickstarting, you're ahead of most of us, man.

Did you try making a good game first, because that doesn't look like one

unity no

Doing God's work.

Which lightning color is the most menacing, aggydoggy?

the red is most menacing, the purple looks pretty nice tho
the blue looks kinda weaksauce, like it would be a lower level version of the same weapon

Like the other guy said, red is the most menacing. Purple looks cool. If you want to be autistic, purple would have more energy. Red has the least.

definitely red
Also your lightning looks really stringy
it should have more sharp turns its to smooth

well now i just feel like unity is fucking with me on purpose
apparently, when previewing an animation, this thing down here ISN'T the time needed for the animation to reach that frame
so this entire time my idea for the correct time for a punch to reach it's minimum/maximum destination has been wrong
now i'm stuck trying to guess them

It's always the dumbest thing user

go from the start

what is it ?

I've tried to trace the event from the beginning but everything is exactly as they should. I tried logging values in-between and all the numbers are correct in every location I've tried.

I found it

I fucking found it

It's

a

floating

point

inaccuracy

I'm about to go and kill every computer in the world
I'd be ok if it was a mistake I made
But it's literally a mistake that the computer makes

You weren't using a floating point as a loop counter, right? Right?

I'm drawing sprites along a line, and it would draw extra sprites in some locations.

The loop compares the distance between current position and the position of the end of the line, and draws a new sprite if the distance is larger than a given offset. They need to be floating points. It draws an extra sprite at the end sometimes because of the floating point inaccuracy, adding "-0.00001" onto the distance fixed it.

You could just take the distance, divide it by the sprite size, round the number up, store it in an unsigned integer, and use that.

I can't use a predefined loop size because the sprite size (and thus the offset between them) can change mid-line.

int start = 0;
int end = 5;

for (int i = start; i < end; i++)
and you can change the int end even within the loop.

How is that different from a while loop then?

I'd have to check the distance anyway to know whether to draw another sprite or not.

alright, i've been messing with the punch damage even more
i changed the variables on a punch a bit
//ignore the current values, they're wrong //the minimum time needed in order to do damage public float MinTime = 0.4f; //the time at which you do the most damage public float BestTime = 1.2f; //the time at which you stop doing damage public float MaxTime = 1.2f; //const that you need to decide for how much damage to do when hitting before/after the perfect time //at this point i have no exact clue how it works public float MinRolloff=8; public float MaxRolloff=12;
and i determine the damage this way
//ratio between the current time and the best time for a punch, also taking the rolloff into account float dif = 0; if (delta < curpunch.BestTime) { dif = (delta / curpunch.BestTime) * curpunch.MinRolloff * Mathf.Abs(-delta + curpunch.MinTime); } else { dif = (curpunch.BestTime / delta) * curpunch.MaxRolloff * Mathf.Abs(-delta + curpunch.MaxTime); } float mag = Mathf.Sqrt(info.relativeVelocity.magnitude);//bonus damage based on collision int rag = (int)((curpunch.Damage + mag) * dif);//actual damage, based on bonus damage, multiplied by acceptable animation percentage
i sort of got the values right for the hooks, with them now doing between 1-3 on a minumum and 11-14 maximum
i'm having trouble with the jabs though, since i can't even tell what values i need to put in here. the jabs keep hitting the opponent's arms rather than the area i'm aiming for, so that makes things even more confusing

oh i forgot to mention, "delta" is how much time has passed since the start of the punching animation

Your game looks hilarious

That's every day.

I feel like the delay on activation is too long to make that effective.

Yeah it is, still far from complete with this mechanic. Particles look like ass, controls like shit as well.

Some kind of thrusters on them would be nice. Right now they are just moving for no reason.

or at least something like a small explosion when they get detached
KSP does that with it's decouplers

I agree, working on some neat thrusters right now.

So I got the Const Int and Arguments working, this shit is pretty neat, this is more a under-the-hood stuff then anything.

Basically I managed to change the lifetime of the Fire via Arguments, so I can make the fire long lasting or short lasting directly at the projectile instead of the fire itself.

Hmm I need to find out a bit more flexible way to do this since I can have only 4 Args per Actor.

Maybe I can even add in the future a tweak menu so almost every aspect of the mod properties can be changed such as damage value, how much the credit injector gives and what else.

Another advance of this const int is that it is for me easier to tweak the values and I dont have to look around the state all the time.

A bit like KKnD has a built in tweak menu or the Weapon Stuff 2 mutator for UT2004.

I will try later to make a some kind of a Universal Particle Configuration so that it will be easier and more flexible to make particles, what I have in mind is that a single Actor should be able to define the whole properties of the overall particle behavior so it that a single actor can be used for boolits impact, explosion, fire effect and you name it.

Currently I have 3 actors which is used to define the sprite animation, size of sprite and sprite spawners, which is in my opinion not very flexible.

I think I will call this one as Particle System v3 which should hopefully be very advanced.

Eh I forget to mention that way I could have probably a single actor fire instead of the bazillions I have right now. Maybe even going so far that I need only 1 Actor for Area of Denial effects. Like Gas Rockets or Incendiary Shell and uh something else I guess.

Working on a logo for the game, bully me

I think what is getting at is this.

// This codefor (float f = 0.0f; f < 1.0f; f += 0.1) { DoSomething(f);}// Is NOT equivalent to this codefor (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) { DoSomething(i * 0.1f);}// The underlying problem is thatfloat f = 0.1f + 0.1f + 0.1f + 0.1f + 0.1f + 0.1f;// does not necessarily equalfloat f2 = 0.1f * 6;

Think about that each floating point operation may or may not introduce some error. If you keep adding floats up, the errors add up as well. If all your steps are the same size (which they are not, as you already pointed out), it's easy to work around the issue. Instead of doing (num += f) x times, you calculate x first, then do (num = f * x) once. This is exactly what I did in the code example above. Since your values do change, you need to work around the issue another way. The ==, !=, = operators of floating point numbers should only be used, if you know exactly what you're doing (see IEEE 754 and understand under which conditions you don't get errors).
What you need to do, is to write your own small library for performing all those comparisons and account for errors. Unreal's FMath namespace has functions like the following:
static bool IsNearlyEqual( float A, float B, float ErrorTolerance)static bool IsNearlyZero( float Value, float ErrorTolerance)

I'm no artist, but I think it looks cute.

Tweaked it a bit and changed background (which is not important since it's transparent anyway)

I think it needs more color contrast, more than just blue, white and black.

perhaps a red/orange outline on some of the letters? I'm not sure but it feels too bland.

user who picked this title must be on joy tears now.

Comfyorama never ever

I'm still no fan of the name but the logo looks great

Implemented handguns.

I'm tempted to ask, why is the player on the water?

Its pretty comfy imo, idky.

Make handguns feel sexy, user. I beg of you.
bullets better go where the gun is pointing regardless of whether you look down the sights or not

It's shallow water.

This is my test level. I based this aesthetic on that shit you always see in anime, where the characters stand on shallow, reflective water, in a clear sky. There is actually a real place that looks like this, in Bolivia.

CONGRATULATIONS

Don't worry, this game has a lot of 'muh realism', the projectiles actually sprout from the firearm model's muzzle and not the camera. And there are no viewmodels.

It's going to take a while to make them look real good. That is, having textures done and shit. Modeling, I can take care of, though.

I actually tried different colored outlines before, but didn't look good. Added a character this time, makes it a bit more lively I think.

I'm still thinking about the name actually, a lot of people don't like "Speebot" but I don't have anything better yet… Something with a -rama suffix might work better. Wheel-o-rama? Roll-o-rama? Comfy-o-rama? Still open to suggestions.

Well, I had this part of the Trigun opening in mind, personally.

Where can I play speebot?

Roll-o-rama might be ok.
I still sorta like Highjump Patrol and imagining the little guy chasing down reckless platformer characters and giving them tickets

Does anyone have any good step by step blender tutorials for finishing up sculpts? I'm talking about stuff like making it into a lower poly model with normal/specular/whatever maps.

Here's an alligator snapping turtle I made, I still have to give it the spiky things around the eyes and make the skin look more lizard-ish.

Nowhere yet, it's nowhere near done, unfortunately.

Stick with the Prod. Prod with the Prod. Just in case we are the police.

number one: that's terror
number two: that's terror

Terror built into the system. Is that freedumbs?

sage for double post

's cool

Desperate, your turn.

I like this. Tell me more about it.

Desperate

Desperate.

Speebot dev asked for possible names for his game, this was one of the firsts suggested.

I don't like comfyorama, for one, it's a little too presumptuous to advertise in the name that your game is comfy. Secondly, it doesn't seem to roll of the tongue well, too word and isn't catchy.

are you so desperate to buy fallout 4? no problem its on sale at steam for 50% off. dont forget to get the season pass along with it!

speedbot looks so comfy

How about I shell your fucking ass and your fucking company HQ with a 120mm shell you fucking

NIGGER

I love being non-NEET

You've gotta earn your beans somehow. Try to focus on one thing and only one thing.

it's like you don't even want to make game

Is it going to be used for a trophy decoration? Since the base is missing.

To your question I do not know, since I never done that.

And don't make the mistake of starting several unfinished project like I did. I shouldn't have done it either but it's too late. That's terror

Last update for today. Re-rendered the character and tweaked the colors a bit.

Blender renders colors differently from my engine, for example, the hydraulics had to be recolored in Gimp. I wanted orange, it gave me lemon-lime

Hows my modelling?

Any advice, Idk what the fuck I'm doing tbh oniifam.

Reminds me of spike from ape escape. A little higher poly though.

Kinda looks like his jaw is part of his head that is a mask but pretty good.

I'm not sure where this is going, but I like it.

Reminds me of PS1-style character designs. Brave Fencer Musashi comes to mind, for some reason, even though there's very little actual similarity.

Still, I like it. What's this for, user?

Lovely, can't wait to see it textured.

I dunno, I'm thinkin just a big dumb hacky slashy thing with dashes and junk.

Yeah, How do I do that in Maya?

last ti i tried to model a body.

sexy.

added placeholder UI and energy

I just watch a lot of time lapses so I can see workflow

question about the engine;
is this is enginefag who was working in haxe/haxeflixel?

also if it is, what would you say the pros and cons of it is for 2d/3d?

Anyone here have any interest in starting some kind of small collaborative project? I'd like to find other people around the same skill level to do a little game as a side project in order to get some experience.

The type of game, style, etc is all up in the air and whatever works out best would go. Whether it ever gets finished or becomes publicly available is irrelevant. I just want to make something with you guys.

I'd like to do that sometime, but I can't contribute code.

im currently working with lua and love2D a bit, it would be the easiest thing to work with

im also comfortable with C# and C++, but im not super fabulous with either, but im open to use whatever your best with really

email me if you want

Nice numbers.
Reminds me of the doge meme with the placement of the numbers everywhere… so yeah.

You should probably list your skills too

Awesome user, I like it.
What's your plan for the game… as I love that style.

Yeah, this is a custom engine written in Haxe. Here's my opinion:

Pros of Haxe:
- FOSS
- great syntax (subjective)
- compiles natively to everything - desktop, mobile, console, etc. from single codebase
- very fast
- lightweight
- has many good and powerful 2D game libraries - HaxeFlixel, HaxePunk, luxe engine, many more
- has some 3D game libraries, I haven't used them enough to be able to recommend
- has very good lower level lightweight layers (handle basic stuff for you like asset management, window control, access to OpenGL etc) Kha and Lime (which is what I built my engine on)
- active community, tons of libraries on github
- good documentation
- was used for multiple commercial games (Papers Please, Defender's Quest, rymdkapsel, Cursed Treasure 2, Madden NFL Mobile, Hypnorain)
- guy is making a physically based 3D engine in Kha integrated into Blender and it looks better than UE4

Cons:
- Not too popular, so not a lot of tutorials I have a website where I published several tutorial series on Haxe and its libraries - haxecoder.com - seems to have helped some beginners get started so you might find it helpful.
- Stuff keeps evolving and changing, might take a bit of effort to keep up if you want to be on the bleeding-edge
- No good IDE for Mac/Linux except plugins for text editors

Yeah, that'd probably have been a good idea.

I'm most competent when it comes to writing, but that's a very tertiary skill for indie game development. I've also got some decent experience with texturing, baking maps, sound design/engineering, and general game design. I can do a little bit of art, but I'm not great at it.

gonna check out that site, thanks!
atom has some packages, so ill see if i cant do something simple with it

when i read about it i read it was cross compiled and its syntax was like actionscript, so i as put off a bit, but if one guy can write a 3D engine with it and pump out 150 solid fps it puts me at ease a bit

can you do any 3D modeling? never touched it past one time trying to familiarize myself with blender

i still think you should make the lighting more sharp
pic related

I can sort of navigate Blender but only to the extent of using nodes to see how textures render. I'm not sure if I can even remember how, honestly. Almost every skill I've got is logistics, really. Understanding what makes games "work". Understanding pacing, balance, level design, etc. I think that's what I'm best at. Texturing, sound design/engineering, and even writing are all second banana to that.

You can't casually mention something like that without sauce or even a video

see

Nevermind, I found it myself.
armory3d.org/
luboslenco.com/notes/

Check out this totally not fake screenshot of my fully functional game. :^)

im really into the idea of working with some anons now
a few of us should work on something small and libre

at the very least i'm more than happy to help someone on their project if you want help from an autist that is

pls
[email protected]/* */

You should do a game jam with someone. Ludum Dare is in 3 weeks.

I don't know if it's pride, or standards, but I cannot stand shitting out a game that I don't care about.
It doesn't seem right to me, personally.

do you have any skills?

i dont know if i could effectively write that much code in 2-3 days, but i think ill see if im up to snuff my practicing on an older one

novice programmer. like i said before, i can effectively write games with lua, im comfortable with C#, a bit of C++ and can probably pick it up if i dont know it. i can do pixel art not going to say well, but i think it looks better than some indieshit and thats about it.

picture is currently what im working on

It's about gathering experience, making a prototype and seeing if you can even work with the team you picked. If you go in blind and tackle a huge project right away chances are you'll end up wasting several months because of one or another reason, as opposed to just a weekend.

It's just to test the waters. Lots of games that get completed started out as prototypes made in game jams.

nobody takes it seriously

well you can help on my project if you want
Its all c++

You're using Love and code doesn't look like reading out aloud would summon eldricht horror so you're already one step ahead of niggers who use Unity for 2D games. You're off to a good start.

sweet

if you're implying that this my first game you're sorta wrong
i've done a lot toying with frameworks, building prototypes for things and played with sdl2
mind you the only other fully completed projects was in ruby or game maker

Oh… yeah I don't like teams so that's probably why I never thought of that. Good point.
As every team I've ever been in is me doing 90-99% of the work, and has made me wary as I associate working with others as equating to waste my time every fucking university project has gone like that, but gamedev would maybe be different, I dunno… I've never heard good things about working on a team here.

I just sent an email to
>[email protected]/* */

Anyway i guess i should tell you about the project
The game will be an RTS
The entire thing is made in sfml with c++
Most of the basics are done though the newer parts of the codebase are kinda messy

do you have a git?
lucky me i've toyed with sfml before

If you're able to work on your own that's good. Not having to rely on others is something very few can do.
Because most people will team up with strangers and tackle an ambitious project. 99% of the time it won't work out. I should know.

The codebase
[email protected]/* */:greenman/rts.git
and the spritesheet
[email protected]/* */:greenman/rts-sprite-sheet.git

thats some weird shit right there
let me try that again

[email protected]/* */:greenman/rts.git

its 8chs email protection
i got it; im guessing im gonna have to use putty

i don't really know what that is
But any git program should work just fine
I thought i made both repo public so anyone should be able to clone them

I was just trying to sculpt stuff to get the basics down, I might keep it as a generic decoration asset.

I try to do that, too, but I can't find any professional looking stuff.

ah actually i just noticed the spritesheet was set to private just fixed it actually
I can add you to the project if you want

.jpg

Extremely good point, and smart tactic actually.

I meant this in context to working on a game jam mini-project together.
Just clarifying for those who have autism.

i don't know man
both projects are set to public

Yeah, you really need to know your team first. Don't work with anyone you don't consider a friend. Unless there's money involved I suppose.

well i've had some great experiences working with people on software
It really makes a huge difference in the amount of work you can actually get done
if everyone actually contributes ofcourse

requested access.
ill do my best to brush up on sfml and get familiar with the codebase

thanks for taking me aboard

yeah thanks for coming aboard
I was expecting to have to do everything myself
Now there is another programmer and an artist.

I've run into one of the most confusing bugs
confusing because it's very simple but i don't understand it at all

i have this line right here
terrain_ = new Terrain(groundTexture, tiles, mapTexture);

nothing special right just creating a new variable
So I checked with gdb and all the values i use to create terrain_ are totally fine
But when i gdb into the actual function the values are random nonsense
The values are not references

as far as i can tell im calling a constructor with valid arguments
but when the constructor actually gets executed the arguments are completely random nonsense

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this.

is the art yours? or is it grabbed from opengameart

Actually the tank and the factory some random guy made for me
The other stuff is just some random stuff i grabbed from google

o And i did actually make one model which is also in the game

I'm going to bed now so just email me any more questions you have
Since this thread might not be here when i wake up

What language?

Also put a breakpoint before calling the constructor in the main code, as well as a breakpoint inside the constructor itself. If it's random nonsense, it sounds like C++ and pointing to some uninitialized values.

what do I do. I don't know why it has to break now of all times. I just got in the groove.

What would u guys do?

How do you guys handle scaling your games in relation to the window?
Any ways easier to maintain that multiplying things by some ratio all over the place?

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't take it too seriously heh.
I really like the actual name too, and I do like me a nice ass… I suppose it's a win-win now that I think about it.

I hate it when you post an image and Holla Forums replaces it with the last Youtube video you posted

Do you have an aftermarket Hsf by chance?
It could be fans, HSF, something faulty with mobo, something with CPU. It could simply be CPU as if you do nothing and it hops in heat that's bullshit, it shouldn't do that.
You may need a new CPU user.

That's always a PIA, and yeah I assumed that happened.
Here's a related webm

I've had the fan for two years. Not a single problem
literally just got a new cpu. It worked great until that point. I'm stumped

You have to remember these parts are developed by hand anything can go wrong with batches of them

The ass is calling you, user.

You must answer it.

But there's no way to troubleshoot it unless I shell out another $150 or whatever for a new CPU that I might not even need

Your topology needs some serious work. Read online about good topology practices so you know what you're doing wrong here.

HOL UP
Went and updated my bios and now it seems to be doing better.

it gets two degrees under crashing temperature and doesn't get any higher.

sweet.

This was so shitty I didn't even want to save it and upload it
I'm so god damn out of practice

T-thanks doc?

I was trying to do a generic Mario jump pose without a reference
And then it kind of looked like a faceless lemming
Then it turned into a sperging flailing mess

I, for one, appreciate the sprite. It made me laugh. You have a sprite with the power to make people laugh. Even if you can't use it for the purpose you designed it for, you can find a new purpose to use it for even greater good.

I believe in the sprite.

To the user who recommended Substance Designer/Painter in one of the earlier threads, thank you.

Hmm. To the guys who showed a little interest in a group project to learn some shit and do work in a team environment, do you have any ideas for simple games? Something that a group of a few amateurs could feasibly do?

I've kind of got a couple of things bouncing around upstairs, but if anyone else has suggestions, I really would like to get together and do something.

procedurally generated MMO using gamebryo.

These trips dont lie.

DO EET

N
O

Talking about Substance, is there any similar free alternative to it?

A procedurally generated game

As in, the program determines the kind of game and engine to program itself in

translator's note: this means India will go with the cheapest whore

nah mang

I was thinking of something a bit more… simple?

I'd like to make a horror game. Not a "horror" game, but something puzzley that doesn't rely on jumpscares. I really like the idea of an early 80's VHS slasher movie-themed game, complete with A/V distortion and artifacts as though you're playing a worn VHS tape. Something like Power Drill Massacre, except not a glorified walking sim and not completely abandoned

Get rid of that echo first of all.

DESIGNATED SHITTING DEVELOPERS

that's what i did and its C++

No. Which really shouldn't come as a surprise if you visit this page allegorithplease use archive.is.com (use archive.is)/games and scroll to the bottom. If there was a viable alternative this software wouldn't be so ubiquitous. By the looks of it the conversation in any studio that isn't Valve goes "Can we afford Substance? Yes? Then that's what we're getting."

When this 30 day trial is over I'm probably going to end up shelling out the cash :/

If you make a tile-based 2d game you can usually get away with something fairly simple. Art assets are easier and faster to make. Physics is simpler because it has one less dimension. AI can be simpler because if you have to deal with height, you don't have do deal with side to side, and if you deal with side to side, you don't have to deal with complex height.
However it sounds like you wan to make a 3d game rather than a 2d game, and making a good 3d game is hard. The reason Power Drill Massacre is the way it is, is because that's the kind of game that is easy to make. Making a horror game with good AI is hard and takes a lot of time. Populating a world with unique encounters is hard and takes a lot of time. If you kept the game short, though, you could increase the quality-per hour.

well i fixed it even though I have no idea what the problem was
I just passed the constructor the values separately and it works now

anywhere i can find some free jet engine sound effects that aren't noisy/sound like screaming?

Son of a bitch.

He's right though. You may think you nailed the proportions and silhouette, but it's going to look like absolute ass when you go to light it and animate it. Also nobody told you to read some 1000-page tome on real-time 3D graphics either. Google for tutorials relevant to what you're doing like "anime face topology" or "low poly character topology."

Welp, sadly I din't managed to use the arg(uments) function to pass down a few numbers for some unknown reason. So I guess no single fire actor for me

sadfeels.png

Welp I guess I am going to work on the Chink AR niggas.

The following function should any Infantry have in my mod:

-They should use Auto/Burst firing mode when in close range,
other wise use single-shot in long range
-Some of those Infantry have thrown explosives which they will use
-They should stay rather close to the player and firing at him not chasing him all the time because well that is stupid
-When they have 30% health left they should rather run away instead of chasing
-Some of those classes mostly the AT class can have land mines which they will drop occasionally but they have limited ammo for those stuff.

That should hopefully make those Infantry seem to act a bit less dumb and a tad more dangerous but they are Infantries not some vehicles.

And for any other enemies:
-they can not be resurrected from Arch-Vile like enemy.

Yes those are ripped sprites from 'Nam duck nookem game, I will try in the near future making my own sprites via blender, I hope I have some luck with the skeleton animation or something I guess.

someone help me, i'm too retarded to figure this out on my own, and this is from someone who's supposed to be studying calculus
i've got the minimum/maximum time values for an animation, as well as the "best" time during which you do the most possible damage
in the min/max times you do the least damage, or 0, whatever
i want the damage to scale like in pic related
but i can't for the life of me think of a formula that does this, especially since the difference between min/max times and best time isn't necessarily the same

I know how to write a formula for that function, but don't expect me to translate that to any meaningful code. What you have there has to be written like this.

f(x) = x^2 + 6x + 9, x < 0
f(x) = x^2 - 6x + 9, x > 0

With x = 0, f(x) = 9 f(x) = y, by the way

Thing is, that function can't be expressed in one formula, you need two formulas or equations to properly represent this function, each being used in a certain interval.

This stuff is basic, man. Are you in high school or something?

bruh you blind
i already have those formulas on the left side of the image in my first post
my question is how do i make the graph look the same, if the values in x were positive (since x is supposed to represent time)

So you want to move the graph towards the right?

You mean you want to translate those functions in the x direction? You can just substitute x for x-x0 in the function.

So I'm working on an RPG. I'm starting work on the lore, world, geography, player races, monsters, NPCs of note, etc. and it reminded me of something I've wondered about for years: are there any good resources for fantasy monsters, items, magic, and RPG systems not constrained by copyright/patent/etc? We see so many cookie-cutter western RPGs, but where do they all draw from? For instance, using Hobbits in your game will bring the full fury of the Tolkien estate down on you, but using Halflings is A-OK (or so it seems, I've seen them in a few separate IPs. I have no way of verifying their legality atm, hence the question). Is a kobold a fucking mammal or a reptile? Because I've seen them described as both. Basically, I'm looking for good resources for freely usable monsters, magic, RPG systems (classes, skills, level, dmg calculation, etc.) and the such for me to use as-is, adapt to my purposes, or get inspiration from.

yes

oh right
now i just need to figure out how to deal with the time from the minimum/maximum to the middle being different

Equate both functions, using x = 0, perhaps?

DAILY FUCKING REMINDER TO STOP USING UNITY AND GAME MAKER

There are better, more lightweight, more well optimized, open source alternatives out there. Picking an engine simply for it's popularity is foolish and devalues your project in the end.

I don't know how many time this needs to be said until obtuse droolies stop defending this garbage

no, i ended up subtracting the difference between both functions in 0.48 from the second function, so that it starts where the first one ends when it connects with x=0.48
so now black function continues from the red one
and i need to subtract the difference from the red one in the case that the red function is higher in the blue x

Daily reminder to use whatever gets your game made

Don't be a nodev like this guy

He's got a point, though.

i actively shit on unity in any thread, whenever i get the chance
but it's still the fastest way for me to actually finish making vidya, unless i want to spend years trying to get lighting to work in a clusterfuck of an engine that i made poorly because i'm shit at math

He doesn't. RPGMaker is even shittier but there's still worthwhile things that were made in it.

A list of tips on how indians could trick people into hiring them

All that stuff is based on ancient folklore that already existed. Go give Etseg Din some exposure, user.

So you want the left function to cross (x0,0) and (x1,y1) and the right function to cross (x1,y1) and (x2,0)? You're making a fucking videogame, you should be able to do this. Technically a quadratic needs three control points to be fully defined but using the form you've written there, a(x-b)^2, you only need the two.

i haven't had my coffee today

LOO

Rip this audio and you can mess with it in an audio editor.

Personally I'd take pieces of it and layer the audio over each other to get the right sound I want.

Pretty much this. In my (admittedly limited) experience, the end result is more important than the engine used/programming language used/type of programming used.
Doesn't matter if you used RPG Maker or something custom-built. A bad game is going to be a bad game, and a good game is going to be a good game.

yea, i basically just need a slightly deeper and slower/longer version of that

I'll work on something for you.

y = a(x-b)^2
First control point (x0,0)
0 = (x0-b)^2
b = x0
Second control point (x1,y1)
y1 = a(x1-x0)^2
a = y1/(x1-x0)^2

Left function is
y = y1 ( (x-x0)/(x1-x0) )^2
Right function is
y = y1 ( (x-x2)/(x1-x2) )^2

Maybe this should be my calling

A good example of this is Minecraft vs Minetest
The former is made in supposedly shitty language while the latter is supposedly master race, but the latter is absolute garbage in every way compared to the former. inb4 b-but muh world height limit

yea, i think that works about right for my values

if i have to be specific, i'm pretty much looking for this (starting from 2:34), and i'm hoping that jet engine noises aren't a copyrighted thing

I can't really get anything right now to sound like that. May want to check Pond5 for sound effects.

i'm not made of money, and all the free shit there is either garbage or just not what i'm looking for

Alright, this another playthrough of the level that I showed earlier, but with the changes that were suggested. Also, the level has been extended slightly.

What would you do to improve the gameplay? You can download and play the game here to see how it feels: ika.neocities.org/sigma_engine.html

add slopes
also your AI looks a bit retarded at times, might just be the sprites though

his game looks fine without asians

looks neat, keep it up.

Are the green dudes prisoners or something?

In the code they are labeled as workers, I wanted a non-hostile kind of entity that you could interact with, and since my first test map was of some warehouses, I decided that they would be the warehouse / factory workers who would try and run away from you. Like the janitor or something who is caught in the middle of it.

The machinegun feels off a bit, because of the sound, it sshould be quicker, but the robot should shoot at you even while being injured, it is a robot after all

Also, do content
More rifles
You could do that if you save x workers, you get something
You get the idea
Do two full levels with assets, goals, enemies, non-enemies, pickups, etc

You get the idea

Being a space pirate, of course booze is mandatory.
Trying to make a blurry-vision thing for when you drink too much, but I keep running into, ah, troubles.

Hmmm.

okay, I will make the robot more immune to pain. You are right that it is too easy to hold him back in his pain state.

any suggestions for the weapons? I know that I want to make a gun that shoots projectiles. not much more ideas than that, though

Flamethrower, AcidThrower, Light Rocket Launcher, Grenades, Molotov Cocktail, Multi Barrel Laser Gun, Heavy Rocket Launcher.

Flip a coin and then pick one I guess.

Five things, two dealing with mechanics, and two dealing with aesthetics.

Your stairs need improvement, I loose all momentum going up them. Maybe do what said and make slopes, and instead of using stairs disguise the slopes as stairs.
I felt like the character was walking on ice. The character should reach top speed and slow down faster. If you want to go the extra mile, when changing directions have it happen with almost no sliding.

Why is the character cupping the assault rifle with their left hand? He needs to get a tighter grip on that thing.
You need to make the sound coming out of that machine gun way more punchy. In fact, if you give me some time I can whip something up for you.

if you have a sound effect, then I will use it, sure.

Thanks for your feedback, I will try and fix the movement so that it feels better.

okay, I found out what the problem was with climbing stairs… the game decreased the players movement speed when they collided with the stair, but still pushed them up, so they slowed down when climbing up- but now I have fixed it so that they can maintain that speed, and it feels very smooth going up the stairs.

I will get on to fixing the other movement problems. I think that I just need to increase the acceleration and friction.

Here you go.
mega.nz/#!o9FmTazY

Sounds good.

Oops, linked without the key.
mega.nz/#!o9FmTazY!-1N1G2GR1czOSvQOGxGjZZQI01RcoPWykbQ5XA7W9wQ

Thanks, sounds pretty nice! I'll replace the old sound.

Look up ancient myths of whatever group you like. That's what witcher did using slavic folklore.

Hey, /agdg/, what are some sites with free for download 3D models? I want to mod in some hats into a game and I can't find good models. Sketchfab had one of the hats I was looking for, but I still need an Ushanka.

I guess I didn't ask that right. I'm not so much trying to come up with completely unique races/classes/monsters or draw upon obscure folklore for original ideas so much as trying to find a collection of all of what's out there so far, to pick and choose which would fit into my particular medieval, somewhat high-fantasy, somewhat Berserk-like dark age world. So no, I'm not going for the strictly authentic Middle Ages Irish Experience or anything like that. An example would be like the D&D Monster Manuals, except that seems to be a whole trademark and copyright mess from what I've read so far. I guess I just wanted to save some legwork by having a resource at my fingertips aimed at RPG designers (tabletop and computer) that says "halfings: not copyrighted. Hobbits: copyright owned by Tolkien etc. Goblins: not copyrighted. Ur-Niggers: Copyright owned by blah…" I'll keep looking.

putting items into the game

Creatures from mythology aren't copyrighted. Just look at shit from myths if you want inspiration. Doesn't have to be just from one cultural group, you could pull shit from all over. The vast, vast majority of shit from D&D is from myths and isn't copyrighted.

Through first I need to get used how 3D-Coat behaves and shiieeet before I do some serious shit with it.

All I know is that Triangles/N-Gons can fuck up the painting layout.

The time to be alive now is both terrible and fascinating at the same time.

Too bad that it seems to still fuck up my models a bit, at least it's not so bad anymore, at least the dae export just werks.

Oh fucking christ, now 3D-Coat somehow botched a part of my polygon, fucking piece of shit.

New bread
linking because OP of new thread is a lazy faggot who forgot to do so