Emulators

bigbangtheory.wikia.com/wiki/Mario

Emulator general thread, don't have anything interesting to say.

>Any casual phone emulators here?

Other urls found in this thread:

mednafen.fobby.net/
forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&goto=4409&#msg_4409
buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
zerobin.net/?42db130de1cfcbfc#Lq1Wt8G0JHmJ4ocnYvHOpHxCO5SElwKa9KlyeelHVRg=
rhope.retrodev.com/files/blastem.html
forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-ishiiruka-dolphin-custom-version
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_Boy_Advance_emulators#Oversaturation
allthetropes.org/wiki/Back_That_Light_Up
youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ&t=0m53s)
libretro.com/index.php/category/vulkan/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
forums.mgba.io/showthread.php?tid=18
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Arcade_games
libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5428
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_DS_emulators#High_Resolution
shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30659
libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1509
progettosnaps.net/mameui/
archive.org/download/MAME_0.151_ROMs/MAME_0.151_ROMs.zip/MAME 0.151 ROMs/kinst.zip
archive.org/download/MAME_0.151_ROMs/MAME_0.151_ROMs.zip/MAME 0.151 ROMs/kinst2.zip
github.com/libretro/RetroArch/wiki/FFmpeg-recording-and-live-streaming
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

also does sega saturn emulation exist? Or is it possible to play pirated games on a real system

WSAD+IJKL
Whatever is default one? I only tinker with that, if game doesn't work properly.
Depends on the game.
At the beginning yes to see if my shit can handle it. Then I turn it off.
Using physical consoles is a huge hassle. Also most PS2 games can't into full HD natively.
I tried to play on phone and tablets, and touch controls are cancer.

Honestly, the only joke that ever got a laugh out of me from TBBT was that. The person who wrote that probably actually tried to use Project 64 at some point.

it's possible to play pirated games on a real system. emulation is a fucking joke of saturn especially.

MakaronEX is such a depressing emulator. It has so much potential that will never be utilized. Why did people decide to completely abandon dreamcast emulation?

Did the other thread fall off the board? Seems plausible, seeing as this one is on page 11 already…

Anyways, I'm the guy trying out ps2 emulation for the first time. Disgaea works perfectly, but Ratchet and Clank suffers some pretty awful slowdowns on my machine. I guess I'll have to stick to toaster-friendly ps2 games.

Just how bad's your computer, are you sure there aren't any settings you can twink to make it run faster, even if it looks like shit?

Honestly made this thread just hoping to pick up some tips and tricks with settings, but I think changing the resolution's a quick way to getting better performance with 3D games, especially if you're running them full screen

I applied all the tweaks I could, the game still slows down to 80% occasionally. I have an i5 cpu from 2009, maybe I just need more horsepower.

Oh and I don't think you can change the rendering resolution.

Yeah, you need a better CPU. And you can increase the internal resolution in the video plugin settings.

I guess because Dreamcasts are common, cheap, and extremely easy to pirate for.

Doesn't explain why Dolphin is such a high quality emulator with an active dev community though.

GCN/Wii had four unusual qualities for a console:
PC-like mobo
PC-like CPU
PC-like GPU
PC-like API

Oh, and perhaps most important, especially during the Wii's heyday, it was an underpowered platform that retained full dev support for a really long time.

Ok guys, can anybody explain to me why the fuck were all the emulators of 5th gen consoles made in the late 1990's and early 2000's plugin based?

I assume all that is thrown out when talking about the Wii U.

I dont get it. Mupen64plus in retroarch works great, i finally can play conker without all the glitches. Runs at full speed no slow downs. But why do anons hate it so much?

Cemu is already pretty far along, with audio and realtime emulation of commercial games. I haven't read as much about the Wii U, but I think its architecture is nearly identical to the GCN/Wii in many respects.

Because you touch yourself at nights

Console games just arent event that good, I am fucking bored of this shit and done. Back to my PC

Any of you anons try some romhacks?

I'll just get this out of the way.

Better N64 emulation when

Get out, kid. No one wants you here.

Okay, so I've just got ePSXe on Android and I need help.

I'm having trouble keeping the thing orientated to one side. I want to play it horizontally but it keeps switching to vertical whenever I start it up. How do I fix this? Its starting to piss me off when all I want to do is play Crash Bandicoot 3.

Sure there are better simulators on PC, but none of them are as fun to pick up and play as Ace Combat.

On top of that both those console had that whole µcode bullshit.

POORLY
O
O
R
L
Y

CODED
O
D
E
D

i mean, even thenso it's pretty close to full completeion. Little bit better optimization, more games working and it could be PPSSPP/Dolphin tier.

fuck off no taste fag

bumping for ?

bump

need more gems to emulate

is this an actual pic of graphics card glitches or was this just made in photoshop. I remember one amd card glitched pretty fucking horrible at times in video games and even desktop

I had my way with a friend's new laptop and put a bunch of emulators and games on it for him. We played Mario Kart Double Dash on the most recent version of Dolphin with some decent settings enabled and had a blast, and just about every other game I tested ran great. The only issue however was that everything slowed down in fullscreen mode, so we had to play in windowed with a big resolution instead. Is that just an issue with emulating Gamecube in particular? Because every game I tested for it had major slow downs in fullscreen, but fine otherwise. It really baffled me when I tried out PS2, and it ran perfectly fine in fullscreen as a comparison.

What's the best version of mame to use?

I played the first two missions of Air Combat and it felt like a fucking chore. Does it get better?

How the fuck do i config PPSSPP so i can play fucking videogames on this shitty low-end toaster ?

Latest release of mednafen can play Saturn game.

mednafen.fobby.net/

I need your help Holla Forums.
Recently i started emulating ps2, first game being FF10, it worked perfectly well with no problems and i have only uped the resolution to 1920 x 1080, last night i downloaded MGS2 substance and the game works like ass, it's super slow, is there something special about this game that needs addressing in the settings or is my humble pc just not good enough,
8gb ram
amd r7 240
amd a4 6300 @ 3.70 GHz

Your CPU is too small probably, FMVs are too slow on any computer currently but you can fix that by using VU cycle stealing set to 1.

Don't use custom resolution it has almost no advantage over using multiples but has a whole lot more problems overall (unless you're playing Star Ocean).

why not just play the PC version?

It literally doesn't work at all.
Every time i leave any room the game freezes, unless there is some "fixed" version i am not aware of.

Except they didn't. Demul is getting regular updates again, and the emulator is getting quite good at this point.

The current version aimed for maximum accuracy, right down to the color dithering, and finally includes a fix for the broken textures on AMD cards. It could still use some speed improvements for toasters, but I like where it's headed. I do hope they bring back options for higher internal resolutions soon though, and they need to fix the now-broken netplay.

1x internal resolution, "disable slower effects"
That can fix a lot of performance issues right there.

Does anybody have an idea how hard it is to run Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction and Destroy All Humans 1 on pcsx2? I need to know so that I won't waste my data cap on a game my laptop can't run .

They don't hate it, they just only know about Project 64.

You're not running a bunch of the heaviest game to run on a laptop user.

Just now I decided to try emulating Ace Combat 4. If I use OpenGL Software mode and increase the processing threads from 2 to 6 on my overclocked i7-2600k, it seems to provide a 99% accurate emulation at full speed.

The only thing that looks "off" to me is the HUD doesn't have any color blending with the rest of the scene, so it looks like a glaring solid green color. If I had never played the game before I might never have even thought anything was out of place.

It might be time for me to replay 4 and 5, and finally finish Zero.

So how hard are they? Are we talking Black/SOTC levels of demand here?

I don't have any issues in fullscreen even over netplay with high AA/AF, but I also play at native resolution.

Well shit, what do you know, i just reduced the resolution and the game works flawlessly now.

Sorry I got my shit partially wrong mercenaries isn't that bad (lowest config running it is apparently a Core 2 E6750+ GTX260) so if your laptop is good it should run decently, bonus point if your GPU is Nvidia as it's pretty much the only manufacturer that runs the OGL plugin decently.

Destroy all Humans on the other hand won't run fullspeed on anything that isn't a desktop i5/i7 and it pretty much requires SW mode to not be broken as fuck so that one isn't running on your laptop

Yeah the HUD isn't correct but if you change it (disable the edge AA) it becomes bright green and looks terrible

Does anybody know how hard is it to run Tenchu:Wrath of Heaven on pcsx2? Is it as easy as KN or as hard as Black?

Look up the test runs on the PCSX2 wiki and compare your specs with them

Not for long. The Mednafen dev JUST released a Saturn emulator that blows uoYabuse and SSF out of the water. It's FOSS like usual for Mednafen too so it can only get better.

forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&goto=4409&#msg_4409

proof or gtfo

Are you fucking retarded? Read the link.

Doesn't need cancerous 3rd party software, there it's blown out of the water.

Looks like I have to gamble. Some posts say the game is easy to run but nobody had a config close to mine or let alone, was done in a laptop. Wish me luck,

The only retard here is you

You are already pirating Saturn games, whats stopping you from pirating an old version of daemon tools?

Not wanting that shit on my computer.

Who cares?

So like Mednafen PSX, again who cares apart from toasterfags.

So you'd rather stick with shit software rather than try something that runs actually well, at-least for an unstable release.

So you're telling me you don't have an image mounting software on your computer?

There is literally no comparison for it in terms of compatibility with SSF.

A shitter version of US-NTSC games. The thing is experimental and was just released, it will have this soon, but it's not a big deal anyways.

It's called accuracy. Enjoy your shitty ZSNES-tier shit that desyncs and has missing graphics I guess.

Closed-source garbage that can't be improved or added to Retroarch and requires you to install the virus know as Daemontools.

SSF only works with very specific tools. Use WinCDEmu (like a non-retard does) and SSF doesn't work.

At this point you are just flaunting your tech illiteracy and ignorance

Yabause has a higher system requirement than SSF. I guess that makes it more accurate. Retard.

Because open source automatically makes the software better right? Its not like closed source software like Drastic and SSF have had better compatibility than open source ones for years now.
What else can you expect from a retard for which downloading and installing an old version of a software is too much work so he calls it a virus.

Better opensource SSF if you don't want your shittly made emulator to fade into obsolescence friendo :^). Inaccurate software like SSF will always have shit compatibility as a byproduct.

Mednafen emulators always tend to be some of the most accurate whereas closed-source is garbage, only long-term exception being KEGA.

is such a thing present in the linux version?

I use MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD Manager. You don't need Daemon.

Literally the only accurate emulator in the mednafen package is the PS1 emulator.
Every other one salvages a different standalone emulator poorly.

Cuck

Yabause died despite being opensource while SSF still lives on.
Your entire premise is flawed making me wonder if you are a shill for Mednafen or just really obsessive emulator fanboy which is even more retarded.

Says the guy shilling for an inaccurate dead and closed emulator when a new better one just came out. You like stagnant emulators?

Why would I?
Literally has no purpose unless you're a retard or want to use SSF.
It's called 7zip.
No other emulator requires one at any point.

And what part of that third is actual exclusives, because PAL really is just inflicting terrible porting on yourself.

It was released today what the fuck do you expect?

It's shit because it's closed source shit that's terrible in every way except for it's compatibility.

Nope.

Yabause works off an hardware renderer which is why it's so shit, nobody in their right mind should do that for the Saturn
And PCE

Except it didn't, uoYabause exists you know?

SSF still gets updated to this day and is currently more compatible than your beloved emulator.
Come back to me when it actually runs more games than SSF with better accuracy before making retarded claims.

And it'll go exactly the way Reicast went.

b-but muh performance!!! SSF runs on my Pentium II so that means it's more "optimized". Who cares about Sonic Jam and 15 other games looking like it's completely fucked up.

You do realize that SSF runs on a software renderer too?
What am I asking, of course you don't. You are a fucking mongoloid.

WHAT?!??!

I thought most people would jump on hte occasion to switch from the pile of shit that is SSF but I guess it's another ZSNES shitstorm brewing, have fun being on the wrong side of history.

The test version is more recent, got updated a couple month ago iirc.

hey
how do you stop demul from shitting up its graphics?
it used to be fine 2 months ago
i revved it up recently, now its shitting up missing graphics and all

Neither of the "official" sites show updates more recent than 2015. explain.

That makes it even worse. If it was a hardware renderer, you could attribute many of the visual bugs and inaccuracies to it's renderer. That just means SSF's codebase is more garbage than I thought.

He's rusing you, it currently is broken as fuck too.

Restart from zero, if it doesn't fix it then you fucked up something that isn't the emulator.

Recently played through MGS2 on PCSX2. Outside of dropping as low as 50% speed in some cutscenes (especially those with multiple characters), all gameplay was near-perfect. Going to play MGS3 next, is there any specific setting that i should enable/disable?

I hate rusers.

Are there any unofficial builds of pcsx2 that fix games like ape escape 2? I've been itching to play it like you wouldn't fucking believe. It's still terribly broken as of the latest release.

You could have fixed cutscenes by setting VU cycle stealing to 1 (usually you don't want to touch that but it fixes cutscene and doesn't seem to fuck anything else so might as well)
For MGS3 just use the latest release and the OGL plugin,retains almost every effects, an older version might also have just the piss filter broken if you prefer it that way.

Yeah it's called press F9 and pray your CPU is good enough

fug :D

You absolutely need the latest OGL plugin, otherwise none of the postprocessing works and the game looks like dogshit.

Piss filter is mandatory because of the shadow mapping. If you leave it out, the ground looks like a shitty washed out ayy-lmao ship with black splotches everywhere.

If it's any consolation AE3 is basically flawless I think, at the very least with the OGL plugin but I don't recall major breakage with the DX plugin anyways.
Bonus point for being able to get rid of the slowdowns the game had on console.

restart from zero?

I'm on AMD.
fug x2 :D

Make a new install, in case you fucked up with a setting somewhere, easier to start baack from zero than spending hours figuring out what you might have done.

Like I said should work on DX too, the first level looks fine at-least.

Using 1.4.0, should I use the 1.5-dev instead?
Is that gsdx32-sse4.dll?

1.4.0 predates the piss filter fix so no you need the latest git release.
buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

Any plugin is fine, the SSE4.1 one is slightly faster if you use HW mode, just make sure you select OpenGL from the control panel instead of DirectX11 or DirectX9

OGL makes the window look washed out and fucky but provides the same fps as dx11. my pc isnt up to snuff for even 720p res so im kinda not surprised the fps boost was only small. real shame.

Thank you tumblr! Nnow kill yourself.

Citra when? I just want to play the newest pokeymans and Rune Factory 4.

So, how bout that og xbox and 3ds emulation?

he's literally been doing it for 10 years now

SSF is more than 8 years old by now and it still isn't even close to being bug free, Mednafen comes out of nowhere in less than a year and already boots some games and already rolls all over yabause (not that it's hard) and is close to being as good as SSF compatibility wise even boots things SSF can't handle apparently (Clockwork knights 2 supposedly freezes on SSF but mednafen doesn't)
So maybe right now maybe it's a bit premature to completely switch over to mednafen but there's no reason to not at-least get used to it because it's not going anywhere and it's only gonna get better.

And before you go complaining about muh compatibility list there's already a small one available if you know where to search
zerobin.net/?42db130de1cfcbfc#Lq1Wt8G0JHmJ4ocnYvHOpHxCO5SElwKa9KlyeelHVRg=

Sometime in the future, it's getting there but I think you shouldn't get too excited just yet it will require a very good computer if it ever gets to usable state.
OG XBOX needs someone to help our lord and savior espes because he's stuck with college and shit.

You do know that SSF does run Sonic Jam. SSF Accuracy is pretty good compared to most and the mednafgn & Yabause. SSF has a lot of settings relating to accuracy.

Closed Sourced Software isn't always better than open source but it can be if the open source alternatives suck, like with VM software

However Mednafgn is better and more portable for the future.

niggaz just give me a saturn emulator that can run sanic jam and i am good to fuckin go

Tell me when it actually does something instead of having a tumblr-tier spergout when someone doesn't agree with you.

user it's literally the same shit everytime, ZSNES, ePSXe, VBA and everytime we end up with month of having to deal with
etc

Also SSF being shit isn't an opinion it's a fact, only reason to use it is that everything else was worse until that point.

SSF can, but you may have mess with some settings.

Sonic Jam is only interesting for its 3d that lasts only for an hour or two. Just play the Android Versions of Sonic 1 & 2 in remix OS or on genesis plus gx with Sonic 3 & K

I wasn't being serious

though i do find it neat to fiddle diddle with for all of 10 minutes

So why did Sony desgin the PS2 so complicated and messy? Most of it only makes sense for a renderfarm or supercomputer but not for a home user.

also

Oh I know the solution to that one

Fixed it for me on the US version, was a real console bug too.

yeah thing is, this is the FIRST time its ever happened to me period. I've had lots of other problems, but not this one. Even when i've tried the game in the other emulators it didnt happen.
Just funny yknow? Game finally runs playable then WOOOOP.

Yeah it was disabled by default, but I just enabled it and it looks correct now except for some flickering on part of the HUD. That's odd.

What's the best platform to emulate Gauntlet: Dark Legacy on?
I was at my friend's house last night and he actually busted out his gamecube so we could play that shit. I only ever played it in arcades and at other people's houses, and I totally forgot how in-depth it is.

Daemontools has always been shit and shady as fuck. I've always used PowerISO, but WinCDEmu that mentioned sounds pretty good too.

There were multiple updates in 2015 which I was referring too, and they improved it a hell of a lot, as I already described. It is NOT broken, except for netplay.

Don't listen to that retard.

Probably GCN, since Dolphin is great, PCSX2 is kinda' flakey, and MAME's 3Dfx emulation is extremely rocky. OG XBOX emulation soon

dolphin is mediocre but not a good alternative like everything pre-gen5 has now. xbox emulation never ever.

i'm a faggot!

I don't know how to use mednafen on sega saturn games. It just won't work at all. Have all BIOS, named correct also using a frontend but it just won't work!

Gen-

And just to drive the point home, here's a WebM of Power Stone on the latest Demul. I have an AMD video card and they finally have an option to fix the broken textures that previous versions had.

Note that in order to get a perfect 60fps, you have to make sure your monitor is set to 60hz and enable vsync in the video plugin settings. If you don't have vsync on or if your monitor is 144hz like mine normally is, it will cause framerate issues.

Is there anyway to use a real wii remote with some inputs detected from another device? I want to set up Dolphin so that my DDR pad controls the nunchuck analog stick in Metroid prime Trilogy.

demul requires a higher end system of which i don't have. which brings me back to makaronEX which is optimized really well for low end systems but still has its flaws.

It's usable but you can't tell me that this shit isn't broken, redream can't come out soon enough

Check your .cue for an absolute path, bios names are case sensitive for mednafen so recheck that too (and yes it expects all lowercase), make sure you're not playing on a 32bit system or with the 32bit build, make sure you're not using old darkwater rips, Kof 95 and ultraman require a separate rom dump if the docs are to be believed so avoid those two, also check the html docs that came with the download while you're at it maybe I overlooked something, also try without launchers.

I don't get crashes on fullscreen switch or focus switch, not on any version. Forget toasters, you must be using a microwave oven.

I've never tried to change settings mid game because I get my settings right the first time, and especially for graphics settings I would not expect it to play nice with changing those on the fly. Not every emulator can be PPSSPP, afterall.

I've never used the save state, I'll have to give it a try soon to see for myself.

4770k+GTX770

Yeah I know silly of me to want to change the control scheme when the game doesn't allow for it or doesn't allow for what I want exactly.

Most emulator play nice with mid game changes, even PCSX2 can do it just fine.

Blastem 0.41 just released
rhope.retrodev.com/files/blastem.html
Should be about on par with Kega right now but you can emulate an OC'ed Genesis/Megadrive and have an adjustable sound filter to make it closer to the actual console (dev is aiming for the model 1 sound)

Probably could think about more, although I still wouldn't say it's mediocre but it's nowhere near as excellent as people make it out to be.

Aren't most people shifting over to the unofficial Ishikura build, thus avoiding mainline dev dickery you're referring to?

whats so special about ishiruka?

forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-unofficial-ishiiruka-dolphin-custom-version
[UNOFFICIAL] Ishiiruka-Dolphin Custom Version

>Important Features

>Other Features

been testing it for the past 10 minutes and already noticing plenty of games that run far better

how the fuck have the dolphin devs been dropping the ball so hard??

True, which also bring another point

I thought Dolphin was a pretty good emulator but damn it sounds like this guy is putting the build to shame.

recommend a gorillion games for any emulatable platform Holla Forums, preferrably not disc systems though. I downloaded 36GB of VIDEO GAMES

I use retroarch on my phone and it works pretty well, also android 6.0 fixed the issue that broke wii motes but it also broke the programs that allowed you to play with them, thankfully it's something the developers can fix themselves. Hopefully i'll be able to play with the wiimote again soon

nevermind the trap dev, too

The latest non-dev one, or if you download a rompack then you may want to use the mame version for that specific pack.

One jumped offf a bridge the other got driven away by the main devs fro not caving in to it's every whim.
No more trap dev.

…which is?
Improvement has been steady since 4.0. I don't know what you expected.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Is it was just a "thing" at the time? Fucking 1990's programming trends.

Apparently AMD finally released drivers that can hold their own on PCSX2 OGL

Shader cache generation stuttering.

There has been no real improvement and the core architecture is still fucked because of the terrible decisions they made years ago (making it a Wii/NGC was a terrible idea and now you can't fic Wii anywhere as easily) and now for actual improvement they need to do a ton of work which will never be done because an inordinate amount of retard suck up to it regardless.

A simple fix for intel IGP was never merged because "it's not my job to fix others mistake", DX9 was cut for no real reason (and don't give me that bullshit about being hard ishiiruka has 1 dev and manages just fine) , improvements to DX11 were rejected for no real reason (same as above they made up some bullshit about it being not worth the effort and one solo dev managed to merge it just fine in his fork anyways)
I also fucked up and forgot some punctuation I didn't mean that they were fucking people with lower end hardware because of android I meant that they were fucking people with lower end hardware despite doing a lot of work to support even shittier hardware.

It also sounds good on paper, but it's better to have everyone working on the same thing since personnel is always an issue

Any idea how i can keep my DS roms from lagging? It gets annoying when the music slows the fuck down from lag so it makes it incredibly tough to play Elite Beat Agents.

The idea wasn't totally shit on paper
You have a bunch of people focusing on a core part of the system and a bunch of other focusing on another part of the system, each part requires different skill sets so in theory it works.

Problems arise when

All those happened naturally over time so plugins are shit.

What emulator are you using?

I had a sound problem with desmume once, and went into config>sound settings and changed synchronization mode to synchronous and synchronizer method to "Z".

Alternately, if it is due to your CPU being too slow you could go into config>emulation settings and uncheck advanced bus level timing and/or enable dynamic compiler. Both of these could break something depending on the game but can help with run speed.

It's Desmume. Thanks, I'll give it a shot. It's really frustrating to me. Tried removing the fps limit, but that just made the game super sanic speed.

bump

I've been experimenting with GBA emulators a bit. I can see why mGBA is desirable for many, but I still like VBA-M better for a few reasons.

However, I am interested in trying the GBA emulation in Higan, since the wiki claims it is Cycle accurate, and I want to mess with its color/saturation options since the one in VBA-M is crap. Unfortunately, it looks like the current release of Higan mistakenly did not include the required bios file to run GBA emulation. Does anyone know where I can get one that will work with it? I have found downloads for BIOS dumps in .gba and .bios formats, but the emulator is requesting .rom format.

Probably just need to change the extension of the files you got.
Higan is almost on par with mGBA but slower so not really that useful.

I'm not on a toaster so speed is the last thing on my mind. I'd just stick to VBA-M but I wanted to play with the color/saturation option in Higan at least once.

I'll try a simple rename in a second.

Well if you really want complete color saturation control Retroarch is gonna be your best bet, unless VBA-M allows you to load your own shaders.

Renaming it worked. Higan seems to insist on adding black bars where as the other emulators don't, so that's a little disappointing. Color emulation seems pretty nice though, like I was hoping for.

Here's a quick comparison of the VBA-M default colors vs the Higan adjusted colors.

You don't want to see what VBA-M's attempt at adjusted colors are. They are horrible.

Might be relevant to your interests.

Currently playing yakuza for the first time on pcsx2. It works like a charm and is a blast to play. It blows many, if not even all current games out of the water. Highly recommended.

Ooh, that's interesting. Care to elaborate?

Jumping in over 2 days later just to say, kill yourself faggot.

I I recall correctly Minish Cap has a brightness option which is what the dark / normal / bright.
Higan and none are obvious.

The other images are from shaders used in RA, gba-color.cg, nds-color.cg and the last one is picture-adjustement.cg with just the two settings shown changed.
Tthere's also a psp-colors.cg to emulate PSP1000/2000 screens but that's not shown here.

Yeah Google brought me to a forum post about it, this looks very promising.

I'm 99% certain that RetroArch uses VGA-M (or a fork called Next) as the core of its GBA emulation, so I guess that is fine and I'll have to give it a shot, and pop in those shaders.

VGA-M*

VBA-M*
FUCKING AUTOCORRECT

mGBA, the mednafen fork of VBA, gPSP, Meteor and VBA-M/-next.

So, pick your poison eh? Excellent.

Fucking bullshit. Yeah, the GBA crushed colors - but because the screen was utter shite (until the micro). I played Zero Mission on a DS and 3DS and the colors were like in VBA-M. It wasn't even meant to be crushed, as seen in your first fucking screenshot. Byuu can go fuck himself

I just downloaded RetroArch and I'm trying to get ps1 emulation working. I downloaded Mednafen PSX from the retroarch core downloads but I'm a little stuck on where to go from there, where do I put the BIOS files and whatnot?

It's on the RA wiki

I didn't know there was an ra wiki, I'll check that out

It's not byuu saying that in particular, most emulators offer a mean to do so and pretty much anyone with a pair of eyes would see that some games weren't meant to be as neon bright as the emulators make them by default.

And I agree 99% with CRT fags, but on this one it's wrong. The only way you would get that dim of a screen is if you'd be using the original non-SP or non-Micro GBA. If the game was made for that, you wouldn't have those details in the background, because it'd be invisible.

It's not that dim, I played on a real launch GBA and even in the best of conditions it was way dimmer.

The game was made for a GBA screen which dims a lot, displaying the original colors on a screen with proper colors and backlight makes half the game neon bright which isn't intended and very few GBA games didn't account for that.

Let's not forget the even worse non-backlit GBC screen

I'm not sure if you mistyped, but I think you're right because there was the GameBoy Player and the GBA SP which produced similar colors to most emulators. And late games like Minish Cap were released within months of the DS, which produces the same sort of color that emulators do.

Looks nicer, but can it fix the soundtrack?

I own a real GBA and really I don't remember things being this fucking PINK.

Then again, it's Byuu we're talking about. Guy is so autistic he first made BSNESonly accept ROM images in THE ONLY TRUE AND CORRECT FORMAT, and then later made Higan convert them into this weird abomination of three separate files that's supposed to replicate the structure of actual carts, or some shit. Guy is fucking nuts.

why is the emulation scene so full of passive aggressive autismos?

Elitism?

Like I said it's not a byuu thing, the castlevania one comes from the VBA color correction, it's just a thing most GBA emulator have.
I prefer NDS color personally but that's just me

Actually I think some emulator have an audio interpolation mode that supposedly fixes audio but I don't know anything more.

Autism is a prerequiste for programming, reverse engineering and striving for perfection.
Emudeving is all those 3 things so that's what happens.

okay but I see most of the spergouts coming from users defending "their" favorite emulator against "other's" favorite emulators

and that hasn't changed a single bit over the course of the last ten years

Fanboyism and personnal preferences meets niche hobby, laziness and hard to change habits. applies to users a lot more than it does to devs actually.

I remember playing Harmony of Dissonance on my GBA-SP and wondering why the fuck the color scheme was all over the place. It looked really weird. In most games, the lighting of my SP would just add a blue-ish tint though.

You are wrong. GBA games made before the backlit SP were directly developed with oversaturated colors to combat the dullness of the screen. Games after the SP was released had to keep both models in mind, so colors potentially weren't blown out so hard, and in the case of games like Minish Cap you also got brightness options to let the player choose best for their hardware.

Furthermore, the GBA and DS don't use sRGB color space like a computer monitor and emulator use by default. The difference in color space used also skews colors beyond just the intentional over-blown color design to combat the screen. The Higan color adjustment still isn't perfect (the RetroArch filter looks better I'd say) but it is closer to the originally intended visuals.

Lastly, if your monitor is not calibrated properly, you will greatly impact the visuals no matter what settings you are using. My monitor is properly calibrated because autism. If yours isn't, the background of the Higan Metroid screenshot I showed you probably looks nearly pitch black, as most people mistakenly fuck up their black levels if they have no calibration knowledge or tools.

See also:
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Game_Boy_Advance_emulators#Oversaturation
allthetropes.org/wiki/Back_That_Light_Up

Brace for autism. I decided to experiment with GBC emulation this time.

VBA-M Default vs VBA-M "Game Boy Colors" vs Gambatte vs GBG Default vs GBG Custom Color 0.8/Gamma 2.1 (only a minor adjustment - less color, more gamma).

I compared this to my actual hardware. Gambatte and GBG are heavily improved over what VBA-M has to offer, but Gambatte might be running a bit too dark and GBG felt slightly too saturated still - at least within the confines of my own monitor. So played around with the GBG settings and came up with what I feel is probably the closest I can get through eyeballing it. I'd need some real color analysis hardware to do any better than that.

That actually is far more drastic than it was for the GBA one. I used to play a bit of Oracle of Ages when I was a kid and the two farthest right look the most accurate.

Yeah GBC is in need of it more across the whole library than GBA I suppose.

Also, if anyone was wondering, Higan used Gambatte as its core in the past and so its colors look exactly the same as the Gambatte sample I posted above.

I have a c64 emulator on my ps2, at least I can play on CRT until I get the real thing. There's few problems however.

It's slow if the programme you run uses some more advanced techniques (multiplexing, vsp) . True drive emulation is also very slow, demos are just not possible to run, unless you want some old multi part ones, but still you need to enable true drive emulation when you want next effect.

If you want to play games using tape files… That works fine, but of course takes forever to load. Disk games are better, but you need to turn on true drive emulation before loading starts and then turn it off so you don't get choppy frame rate. It's a bit annoying, because sometimes you for example finish level and forget to turn true drive emulation and it will freeze.

Here's a list of games I tried that work very well on this emulator

Commando
Bionic commando
Batman the movie
Super Bread box (¹6kb version)
Turrican 1, 2 and 3

There's rayman 2 for PC. It was my first game on my own PC too (not counting pinball)

What exactly was the point of including a gif exporter in mGBA?

The guy melted down with a mid-life crisis and stopped altogether.

Why the fuck not?

….? Did you not post the answer right now?

Does anyone know why RetoArch defaults it's refresh rate to 59.95Hz instead of 59.94Hz (NTSC)? Obviously changing it isn't a problem, and might not even matter, but I was just curious as to why this is the case.

Also, has anyone been able to get the new paraLLEl N64 core (running Vulkan) to work? It crashes immediately for me, despite my GPU supporting Vulkan (and RetroArch even recognizes that it supports it).

I got paraLLEl to work. In the config file I changed menu_driver to "glui" and video_driver to "vulkan" and then loaded up the core and a ROM.

It's a horrible ugly blurry mess, but it's an accurate horrible ugly blurry mess. Thanks Nintendo!

I'll cook up a WebM in a moment.

I tried going back to the default xmb menu driver but keeping the vulkan video driver, and it worked. Don't know what went wrong last time.

that's not the game's actual frame rate, retroarch tries to approximate your monitor's real refresh rate as accurately as possible for the best experience

i had to restart retroarch before the vulkan driver worked, but so far it provided me with the least graphical glithces on n64 emulators on retroarch

Yeah that's pretty big, but I could easily make a 10 second WebM of that size if I wanted.

What sort of fine-tuning have you done, if any?

So far I've noticed that I can set the audio latency low if I have Vsync disabled, but if I use Vsync then I need to raise the audio latency to reduce (but not eliminate) popping sounds. Popping occurs when the fps dips to around 56-57. I'm trying to see if I can speed up vsync play before I just go back to having it disabled.

GBA games.

PS4 Pad
X = A
□ = B
△ = Fast-Forward (2x)
O = Rapidfire A
Works great for RPGs and Pokemon.

Nearest Neighbour, 4x

Nope.

Got a phone to replace my dead PSP.
Emulation sucks on it but at least it plays music.
Should invest in a controller so I can emulate on the bus when I head back to college.

Not when it's fucking dead.
Phone can also do some neat web browsing, and it's a shitton better for videos and porn.
Fuck I miss my PSP, though.

Speaking of LibRetro, RetroArch is a disgusting mess as a front end. Any word on a decent WIMP GUI like Phoenix making progress?

I haven't been paying much attention to AngryLion or paraLLEl, but doesn't it have (or at least have roadmapped) some kind of optional hybrid HLE capability that allows for the usual HLE goodies (HD resolution, modern texture/polygon filtering, texturepacks, etc…) in addition to the greater compatibility of GPU RDP emulation?

paraLLEl seems to have it right in the name. It's focused on accurate Low Level Emulation that is made just barely fast enough thanks to Vulkan. In regards to the N64, an accurate emulation means replicating everything the real hardware does with the video signal - the crappy ultra-simple Anti-Aliasing and the blurry smear filter that they then put on top of it. (Check out this video to see what I mean: youtube.com/watch?v=QDiHgKil8AQ&t=0m53s)

If there is any way to mess with resolution and stuff, I don't know how to do that within RetroArch. I don't know if I can change settings for any of these cores, still learning this program.

Yeah, you can change everything in each core, and even each plugin of cores that use them. But like I said, RetroArch is a horseshit SmartTV/Smartphone GUI, while its config files are a cesspit of invisible directories and undocumented invisible text files, so it can be a little difficult to fiddle with.

A more technical explanation is that it's a software renderer made with compute shaders so it runs on your GPU instead of your CPU.

The tools to make one have been made and a few other projects have popped up, minir is in limbo last I heard and the phoenix revival is a broken and slow pile of shit.

I just use RGUI instead of the XMB ripoff / phoneshit

Yeah, settings > video should have most of that, if you're using it in a window the output adapts to you own resizing / tilling programs, a few cores have unremoveable overscan.

I mean internal resolution - rendering the games in HD - not just a simple upscaling. The video settings section has nothing related to that.

Is there at least a way to change the keybindings per console? The default N64 binding on a DS4/360 is awful.

For PSX/DS/PSP it's in the quick menu under core option, N64 might be in the same place but requires a complete restart to take effect iirc.

No other cores support it and ParraLLEl does not have it at all right now (it will in the future when the HLE renderer derived from it is complete).

Also the quick menu is F1 (PS/home button on controllers) while ingame (don't press escape).
If you want esc to not exit the emulator completely without confirmation you have to change input_exit_emulator = "escape" in retroarch.cfg to "nul" if you don't want that function or whatever you prefer if you do.

Thanks!

Speaking of phones, do any of you have an xperia play? I installed a custom ROM on mine and overclocked it. The downside is that the official PS1 emulator doesn't work anymore, but on the upside, I can emulate PSP games at just about full speed.

M-my Lord, has the time finally come?

That's the ID for all TOR users, you fucking faggot.

Wow dude, maybe replace that brick with a cushion some time.
Thank you for that valuable information, anyhow.

Wow dude, fucking replace your drink with bleach anytime faggot.

Wow dude, maybe replace your Tor node with public wifi sometime.

Wow

Sorry, just wanted to join in.

Or just find "input hotkey binds" in retroarch settings and set the "enable hotkeys" hotkey to shift (or whatever you prefer). Then all the retroarch hotkeys will become shift+hotkey.

The time has come and so have I.

Yeah but then the problem is that's not practical at all, especially when you bind hotkeys to your controller.

I guess it depends on your setup. I don't have any hotkeys bound to my controller, so it works for me.

DUDE

Vulkan has a faster pipeline and compared to other APIs it has both lower audio and render latency. I didn't do any tweaks though i used the default configuration for the winblows retroarch.
I tried it on my android phone but whenever i set vulkan as the graphics driver it switches back even if i save the config and quit

Care to link the rom? Mine emulates terribly with psp.

I just used CyanoGen or however it's spelled. I only tested it with Persona, which shouldn't be too hard on the processor in the first place, given it's a port of a PS1 game, and I also haven't even turned my phone on in ages, so I could just be remembering getting 'acceptable' results rather than fullspeed.

bump

Fucking newfags…

If any Android phones actually support Vulkan, they would likely be only very new high-end ones.

PowerVR 6-8XE, Adreno 4xx-5xx, Mali T7xx-T8xx all support Vulkan already. That's quite a lot of devices, if the firmware doesn't get in the way. Apple's Metal API also has some of the low-level features of Vulkan/DX12, so wrappers like MoltenVK might make jailbroken iOS devices usable, too.

Oh well i don't know much about android, i thought there would be vulkan support as long as the GPU has the necessary features

Google seems to suggest that even if the phone hardware supports Vulkan, the app itself has to be developed to use Vulkan, and RetroArch is not built that way. I just tried setting it to Vulkan on my phone and it crashed immediately.

well i know about the program needing to support vulkan part, and retroarch does libretro.com/index.php/category/vulkan/ CTRL F android.
I also looked more into it and wikipedia has a list on gpus/gpu architectures that support it and on which operating systems en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

Anybody have any recommendations for MAME? With over 3000 games in the library it's a bit daunting.

Then I think it crashed on my Nexus 5X because I'm not on the dev preview for Android N.

Does anyone know how to get the "Mednafen PSX HW" core to work in RetroArch? When I try to load a game I just get a black screen. I'm trying it in Windowed mode since the blog says fullscreen will just go black, but I get black anyway.

Does PS1 have any decent collectathons? Medievil didn't really cut the bill and often pissed me off with how linear it was. But I'm only at the farm so maybe it'll get better. It just pisses me off that I have to replay the entire level because I couldn't backtrack and kill the 1 scarecrow enemy because my path was blocked

Spyro 1-3 is going to be the first suggestion, assuming you haven't already played them. I don't really label them as "collectathons" because they were never that far gone though.

So are there any good gba emulators for android besides gameboid? It's good but the ui is ugly as hell.

Yea I played them already. Only fault I can really give them is that the worlds feel to empty.

MGBA or VBA-M on Retroarch.

Make sure to grab the retroarch bios pack from emulation wiki and turnoff threaded video.

USE THIS SITE AlWAYS

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Nevermind, I was being stupid and forgot that I needed to put a PlayStation BIOS into the "system" folder. Now it works.

yeah i kind of want to see an objective comparison between the available ones. I had a good experience with MyBoy! but it's paid, nonfree and you'll have to pirate it (it also supports link through the internet/wi-fi/bluetooth). but that was a few years back and while i have retroarch i don't have GBA games on my phone

why threaded video off?

forums.mgba.io/showthread.php?tid=18

This link should have the information you need.

My oldboy isn't bad for lower end toaster devices or multiplayer but I prefer accuracy and shader support in retroarch gba emulators.

PSX core in retroarch has a lot of cool options and can increase internal resolution also but epsxe is better most of the time, expect form certain issues with WipeOut 3 SE

Threaded video off, because it adds lag and frameskip and most devices can run the gba cores without it.

Do not turn of vsync on android retroarch or problems well arise

does MGBA for android support link? i haven't tested since i just calibrated my phone's battery and drained it completely. I mainly play gba games with my 7 year old niece and given the fact that she has my brother's genes she might be too slow to figure out her way in retroarch's interface

vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Arcade_games

jej

sorry for all the spoonfeeding but i can't find any explanations
What's the difference on retroarch between the audio resampler drivers sinc, nearest and cc?

sinc is the highest quality one
CC is slightly less demanding and slightly worse
Nearest is the worst but fastest, a handful of games behave better with nearest though (Crash 3 being the best example)

Unless you're an audiautist you probably won't hear much difference.

Seriously, Reddit hasn't polluted it that badly, it's still overall pretty good, and the pasta infographics at the bottom of most articles are untouched. Also, don't be afraid to take back what's yours, running won't work forever.

what does CC stand for? Are those meant for actual resampling (i.e making 44.1khz audio 48khz) or are they for when the emulator can't run at full speed and the sound either slows down, cuts off or plays out of sync?

No idea what it stands for and it's meant to smooth out small FPS dips while you play.

Xorg status: deprecated

What does that mean exactly? What does it do?

Make sure your kernel is new enough, especially if you're using AMD graphics, I've had a devil of a time getting it to work.

It cuts lag, a LOT. Like, if you configure certain emulators correctly, you can beat original hardware.

Is this a setting that only applies to specific cores, or a general RetroArch setting?

By definition you can't beat something running code bare metal with anything having any sort of abstraction layer, so you can't beat original hardware you can equal it but not via software emulation (FPGAs can though).

Wrong, Dolphin is able to play Wii/Gamecube games at a significantly higher resolution than the original hardware. And low-level emulation libraries facilitate the job of running emulated software as much on bare metal as possible by matching CPU instructions 1:1 whenever possible

I know and that's not what I'm talking about.

And because it's an abstraction layer you will have additional processing delay compared to the real hardware, the drivers add a bunch more, the OS adds a bunch more and you cannot cut back on said delay without running bare metal.

Just wondering, if your clock speed is higher than the original hardware, could this be overcome?

I think he's talking about lag in this case, which in that aspect you CAN actually "beat" the original hardware in the sense of lowering the lag (accuracy is always better on original hardware though).

Of course running emulators adds extra processing to be performed, but modern systems are orders (plural!) of magnitude faster than something like the PS1 or N64, so the delay associated with the new work can be reduced to a negligible amount.

It means I can play vidya from the terminal, without an X server running.

My system is not bleeding edge, but it's fairly up to date (arch linux based). I just tried it and it just werked. I had a bit of an issue because I forgot that /dev/input requires root access and is usually handled by X. My user doesn't have direct access to any /dev/input device other than the xbox controller, so I locked myself out when I started retroarch from the tty. I didn't have 'open menu' nor 'quit retroarch' bound on the controller.

Is there a certain trick to burning Sega CD games onto CD-Rs? I've been burning them exactly like I burn Turbografx CD games, but my CDX keeps thinking they're music CDs and just plays the soundtracks.

I should check how the Vita RetroArch cores are doing now. I know 2 weeks ago they were kinda shitty, but they've been getting a lot of attention from what I've seen.

You mean emulating an higher clocked version of the original system, then maybe but you'd need to alter the software or have software with variable framerate support as an higher internal would lead to better input polling but that's somewhat limited.

Let's say you play a game that runs at 30fps and polls inputs once per frame, then if you ran that same game at 60fps and it still polled inputs once per frame then you just cut back on 16ms of potential input delay, and that's way below what most emulators will add (a decent setup will get you 4-5 frames, a specific setup might go as low as 2-3)

Yes and no you cannot have less input delay as the original system it's simply not feasible.

You can reduce slowdown in some cases (which some people refer as lag)

That doesn't factor at all, let's take for example a NES, when you push a button it's a simple signal and it is directly processed meaning between the time you press the button and the time the CPU has processed your button press there's less than 1ms of difference (and that holds true all the way up to 5th gen pretty much), on a PC you have USB polling rate (1-16ms), driver processing delay and the OS doing their thing and you'd be very lucky to get anything close to 16ms difference between your input and it being processed.

Oh and because I'm a dumbass who doesn't bookmark important shit, here's a better explanation than I could ever provide on the subject of input lag regarding emulators.
libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5428

IIRC they have to be burned at 1x speed. And older drives/high quality discs are said to work better.

There's no fixing Harmony of Dissonance. That shitheap used the GBC audio hardware to do a lot of the music, resulting in it should like ass.

So get another one? Shit nigga, they're cheap.

I play all my ps1 games at 120fps.
At least I used to.
TURNS OUT 30 FPS LOCKS WERE A THING BACK THEN, ISN'T THAT FUNNY?

What emulator can run them at 120 without making them play too fast?

It doesn't work that way, or it isn't actually running at 120fps, personal fps caps bypass the in game call to set the fps to something which lets you play games faster or lower, the caveat being that the games were designed with specific hardware in mind and may not all be capped at 60.

For some games, disabling the 30 FPS lock is fine and dandy. For games with variable frame rates and such, doing so is just going to cause you hell, like Xenosaga or SkyGunner.

It depends if the game uses the framerate for event timing or tics.

So, modifying a memory address to tell the game "cap FPS at 100" where it originally says "cap FPS at 30?"

If that actually works, that's awesome. How do you so that? Cheat Engine?

Internal FPS, VFPS and display FPS are 3 different value

That's not even the worst case I've seen.

Nah, it didn't work. Oh well, I can just play the games I don't already have on an emulator. I was just being a hipster and trying to do it on original hardware.

Mentioned a while ago I was going to post a WebM of messing with paraLLEl, so here you go I guess.

They said their next version should have a lot of speed ups, so hopefully that is true. Only place I get problems is when a boss explodes and the FPS drops down a bit, and the audio starts crackling. I don't suppose anyone knows any adjustments I could make to RetroArch to fix the crackles while at a lower FPS do they? I already have my audio latency at 128, much higher than I wanted but still fine.

Which DS emulator lets me increase internal resolution?

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Nintendo_DS_emulators#High_Resolution

The wiki also doesn't mention that mainline Desmume has the option now and it's slightly better than the one in x432r.

Compositors like X under Linux or WGF under Windows introduce unavoidable lag (X is particularly bad, since unlike more modern compositors outside Linux, it's poorly interfaced with modern hardware, which won't really be fixed until it's replaced with something newer like Wayland). By using kernel mode, a direct framebuffer can be given to uncomposited fullscreen programs like games and emulators.

Many console and arcade games (and even some hardware!), similarly to a lot of poorly written PC games, use multibuffering inefficiently, which introduces from a couple of frames of latency, up to five or six. Also much like PC games, these defaults can often be overridden to reduce or eliminate such "in-engine" lag. See, e.g.:
shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30659

There are some console/arcade games that react well to overclocking the emulated CPU (either allowing you to increase their maximum FPS, or just allowing you to eliminate performance-related FPS drops under the cap), but most of them require hacks, and many of those have bugs of varying severity.

Most 120FPS hacks work by combining a "slo-mo" hack inside the game, with a matching emulated overclock hack outside the game.

Wow, that looks atrociously accurate. Hopefully the hybrid HLE features will be implemented sometime soon.

cool thanks

also which PS1 emu is the best

>Wow, that looks atrociously accurate.
The only thing it needs now is to emulate the N64 anti-aliasing + smear filter, and to fix a couple of 2D glitches that are noticeable on the level select, and it will be perfect! For SF64 that is, other games still need a lot of work.

PCSXR PGXP will have the most "improvements" (muh HD, texture filtering, anti-jiggling, anti-texture warping, overclocking), the compatibility is not that great and it's fiddly but when it works it's pretty fucking impressive.

The PSX core in Retroarch if you want accuracy with a tiny bit of possible improvements (breakage-less OC, 2x res).

ePSXe if you want muh HD and your game doesn't run properly in PCSXR.

I downloaded the shaders posted in this thread: libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1509

How exactly do I install and use them? Everything I have tried so far has had no effect on the mGBA core. I guess I can try it with VGA-M core but it should work with both right?

If it's a .cgp
Quick menu > shaders > load preset

If it's a .cg
Quick menu > shaders > shader pass to 1 or more > load the .cg on the first pass

I got Retroarch and downloaded Mednafen for it and I have no idea where the fuck to put the bios.

Grab the retroarch BIOS pack from the wiki, has all the right one with all the right name, just put it in the system folder.

If that still doesn't work make sure that the system directory is set properly.

I got it working now, the bios I had was incorrectly named with a - in the middle.

How the fuck can i run Killer Instinct in MAME?!

Tried the .cg suggestion and it worked. Thanks!

Got the same question myself

You don't.

Please tell me you're fucking joking.

If it does work it's likely one of the very few games that does, generally the problem comes from using an outdated set with a newer version, and not having the right .CHD.

His best bet must be the SNES version then huh?

Well after looking into it it looks like it does work and after looking at MAME it appears it doesn't need CHDs.

So best guess is mismatched romsets / MAME version.

Try
progettosnaps.net/mameui/ (get 0.151)
and
archive.org/download/MAME_0.151_ROMs/MAME_0.151_ROMs.zip/MAME 0.151 ROMs/kinst.zip
archive.org/download/MAME_0.151_ROMs/MAME_0.151_ROMs.zip/MAME 0.151 ROMs/kinst2.zip

The main thing that is driving me nuts with Retroarch is that there's no clear indication of what options take effect immediately, and what options need a core restart, and what options need a full program restart. It tries to label some of them but overall it just gets things wrong. Definitely needs a lot of polishing up in that area.

I also wish it had an option to automatically change driver settings (and without crashing). Like, start the program in OpenGL, but when I tell it to boot an N64 game in paraLLEl it should know to change the driver to Vulkan before running the emulator (again, not crashing along the way either).

Not possible, driver changes require a clean restart.
Vulkan is better than OGL anyways unless you want to use a core with an hardware renderer.

Well right now basically everything is running OpenGL, Vulkan only works with paraLLEl, so that's the only one I have to switch it for.

Or am I missing some way to stay in Vulkan with other cores that want OpenGL?

If you use the Vulkan driver on cores using SW renderer (aka most of them) you get a quite hefty reduction in input delay (similar to using hard GPU sync but with no speed hit)
If you use it on cores with an hardware renderer (PPSSPP, Beetle PSX HW) it will crash.

Alright nigs i need help, How do i emulate Midnight Club 3/LA on PPSSPP on my phone without lagging down to 5 fps?

I'm already on a hefty PC so it sounds like most other cores that might also be able to use Vulkan won't actually see any real benefit from me because I'm already going full speed on OpenGL. Then again, if I can switch it to Vulkan and use only cores that don't crash with it, maybe that's worth sticking to.

First thing to try for PPSSPP speed increase is to check "disable slower effects."

There are a few other supposed speed up options down the list but I haven't ever seen them help much myself. Give them a try.

Lastly, render at 1x internal resolution, and as a last desperate attempt you could turn on frame skipping and effectively play at half the frame rate in an attempt to at least be playable.

I did all of that excluding the frameskipping and SURPRISINGLY my FPS goes up to 20, atleast it's something i suppose, is there any other way? I still want atleast 30 fps

Also it's interesting now that i've just found out how frameskipping kills half of your fps

Not sure if much else can be done, at least to my knowledge.

I know they are doing some work with Vulkan now, so maybe in a few months you can use that on your phone to get a speed boost from it. No telling when exactly though.

Well shit, one day i guess. 20 fps is something, and atleast i won't have to be stuck with 5 fps.

I was having FPS issues in RetroArch Mednefen, and it turns out it was caused by the core options enabling vsync when it wasn't supposed to - my normal config had it disabled.

Now that it's disabled in both config files, it seems to run properly. This program really needs to re-work how it handles configuration.

Does anyone know how to record gameplay in RetroArch using ffmpeg?

github.com/libretro/RetroArch/wiki/FFmpeg-recording-and-live-streaming
Dunno how relevant it is anymore but I doubt they changed much.

I couldn't make heads or tails of that.