So what games have memorable boot camps/tutorials in them Holla Forums?

So what games have memorable boot camps/tutorials in them Holla Forums?

half life 1
sheep dog n wolf/ sheep raider
deus ex

System Shock 2
HL: Opposing Force
Thief: TDP/Gold

Full Spectrum Warrior had a long and in-depth tutorial–so much so that, by the time it was over and I was being briefed for my first real mission, it actually made me feel a little nervous, like there was a clear line between "training" and "the real thing." No other game has made me feel like that.

GW1 and its expansion have a nice tutorial island

HL: Opposing Force

Mmmm I got a story for you all.

Back when America's Army was fresh and was super closed beta. You had to give out an email address and pledge that you were 18 or over and "was interested in joining the military".

Mainly, people played it for the multiplayer, but there was a small unfinished portion of the single player campaign that TO THIS DAY was the best bootcamp sim hands down. Not only were there firing ranges that taught you proper understanding of down range and breathing, there was even a virtual class room where the game taught you actual medical procedures.

Back then doing things like holding a limb higher to slow bloodflow was still a thing. They would show pictures using a slide show in the class.

At the end of the class, you had to take a fucking virtual multiple choice test. And you couldn't proceed to the next part of training until you beat it.

which tombs have memorable doot camps in them?

You've finally arrived. But our records don't show from where.

Beat me to it.

Ultima Online. Because before Haven, the "tutorial" was dumping you outside of town in the forest and that's it. You would be immediately killed by PKs and spend the next several hours wandering the world as a ghost wailing at other players trying to figure out how to return to the living. Was an unintentionally memorable experience and taught you that you either needed to be prepared at all times as the world was a dangerous place or to just quit now.

nice buzzwords there schlomo

no wonder that turd died as soon as mmo alternatives started popping up

Yep, I'm shilling a dead game from 1996.

Life
probably one of the worst experiences but it was okay.

top edge

No, it was murdered by EA. They couldn't stop fucking with it and just kept breaking everything until there was nothing left. Like SWG, they kept wanting to throw everything away and create a totally new game. At one point they had turned it into Diablo, they tried converting it all to 3D and failed, they split the whole game in half to cater to carebears, they tried making it look like WoW and having it be quest-focused, etc.. All the while they also paid so little attention to bugs that there were months where the servers would crash and revert many hours of gameplay per day. The first in-game mass protest was about this. About 4 years went by where everything that happened between 2am and 4am would be lost. Yes, every single day, not exaggerating at all. You kids today have no perspective on how badly this thing was run and how awful EA was.
And yet through all the shit there was something amazing. And if you got to experience it before about 2002 you'll never forget it. And you'd better not as it will never happen again.

Yeah, AA's traning was pretty neat all in all. I think they changed it a few times

theres that word again :^)

Attention

You're weird, user.

Consider going outside, the whole world is not Taiwanese woodblock discussions.

top meme

Anyways, as far as tutorial levels go I enjoyed phantom pain's opening level, even if it dragged on a little. Too bad the rest of the game didn't match it.

I like your style

What the hell kind of name is Soap, anyway?

Seyda neen is a great tutorial, you can skip it and it teaches new players that dont skip it the basics about disposition, quests and it even has a no hand holding dungeon where you can die if you're retarded.

Far Cry Blood Dragon had the decency of making fun of how awful many regular FPS tutorials are.

It's just the first town, it doesn't deliberately try to teach you anything (except a few keyboard commands in the Census and Excise Office).

It very clearly does teach you things, just because they dont freeze the game and a box of text pops up in your face doesnt mean its not a tutorial

Isnt that why people go to school, to improve themselves, and go from having a solid grasp of the basics, to developing a fuller understanding of their desired?

I don't know if hitler was self taught, but his work is

I really enjoyed CoD 2's tutorial, at the beggining youre shooting teddy bears and throwing potatoes and at the next youre dodging german MG42 fire while still holding aid potatoes.

Like what? Teaching something isn't the same as the player running into a concept or mechanic for the first time.

I liked America's Army, but never played the actual game because my computer was a potato
I could only run the boot camp