N64 Thread

Alright niggers, I just got a N64 with a Everdrive v2.5, what should I get? Any good homebrew shit? Best Mario 64 shit that works on hardware?

Do we have a chart for the system?

Why is that expensive piece of shit the only flashcart option? Is there nothing else on the market?

GoldenEye 007
Perfect Dark
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

I don't think I've ever actually seen a chart for this system.

Both Goemon games
Paper Mario
Snowboard Kids 2
Jet Force Gemini
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Banjo Kazooie and Tooie
Mischief Makers
Bomberman 64

There isn't one. It has some amazing 10/10 games on it but not enough to really warrant a list. Plus every time you bring it up you get boomer nitwits talking about spaceships and 3 handed mutants instead of actual vidya.

Most of that chart would basically be "games you'd never be able to play anywhere else" and "we're throwing this shit in here because the N64 has a crippling small pool of games in this category" and all the Rare games except hybrid Heaven which is in the Novel game to try out category.

OP is going to need a memory card though.

*No wait no, Hybrid Heaven was made by Konami.

A PlayStation.

Give me a PSD for charts and i'll make you one.

N64 is the most overrated system of all time.
But it does have Virtual Pro Wrestling 2.

What is that Luigi screencap? Looks nice.

A Sega Saturn.

Got one user. Waiting to get a PSIO.

Got one as well. Haven't played much on it yet though. Hope the USB add-on launches soon.

Luigi's Mansion 64, or something like that.

Hell if you have that crazy expensive thing you could try some rom hacks and japan exclusives translated.
I hear good things about Wonder Project J2 which has an english fan translation. Some kinda thing where you train a robo girl. I remember playing the first one for the super nintendo on an emulator eons ago and it reminded me of some kinda supped up chao garden but I got tired of managing some little shit child. Depending on what you did he'd get fussy or behave and I can't be dealing with fake parenting. But this one's got a peppy robo girl, so who knows
If you had v3 you could have tried animal forest translated, but it crashes a lot apparently anyway

really this guy's got my picks

maybe shadowman too but I've only seen videos and haven't gotten to playing it yet, but it's acclaim and they made turok

I wonder if it's any good, or if the one ai found it's the same in the OP.

Custom Robo
Custom Robo v2

Was actually thinking on getting one until I heard of the cheaper alternative ED64. Anyone tried that one out? Its supposed to be a knock-off done by the surprise, surprise chinese. Is it any good?

Again with this console-war faggotry, old console-war faggotry at that. There's nothing wrong with owning more than one console especially for a system like the N64, which while having maybe 40 worthwhile games, many of those are not emulatable

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that PS1 > Saturn > N64?

By number of titles? Surely, I personally own two of those and I'm planning on owning an N64 if the ED64 cartridge turns out to be reliable

You have to plug another game into the top and the whole reason the everdrive has three revisions is for compatibility and I don't trust those squinty eyed cheats to give me an accurate list.
Better just count the amount of games you want to play but not emulate, check ebay for the going price and see if they add up to at least 3/4 of the $200. It's what I did and why I don't own one since I owned most of the games I wanted to play already. Except conker, and I've been trying to get the damn thing for under 50 bucks ever since. $90+ for a used copy, those jews better include a fucking handjob for that price

Did those ever get full english patches? Heard half way or unfinished, loved the GC custom robo though

No the fuck you don't.

I've heard this isn't necessary on the newer version. It just has a PAL - NTSC switch on top. Isn't compatibility 100% on all revisions of the N64 Everdrive? The differences being stuff like memory, saving etc?

I dunno, I looked up ed64 a while ago, I look it up now, I get this image

99%, some have to have patches. Realistically all you get from v2 to v3 is the need to not reset the console to keep your saves and pokemon stadium 2 full compatibility and any animal forest compatability

Well thats the older version apparently, the ones I've seen have a PAL - NTSC switch. Even so I wouldn't mind having one of those as long as its considerably cheaper. I'd only need to buy some cheap ass N64 cartridge and thats it. maybe a japanese one/pal one as well

Luigi's Mansion 64 wasn't made by and 11 year old, it was made from an 11 year old.
Then the room went dark and the TV started bleeding hyper realistic blood and then I was a zombie

Your bait is bad and you should feel bad.

Well more like 100-140 and only a couple dozen have that one fucking emulation bug that won't go away. Even though you can "fix" Winback with cheat engine the fucker who showed it had recorded it with shit quality so you couldn't actually read what he did nor did he explain what he did to isolate those variables.

If the N64 wasn't such a piece of shit to emulate then i wouldn't always recommend the PS1 versions of equivalent games all the time. Exclusives are the sole reason to play it.

Super Mario 64 Star Road
Super Mario 64 Multiplayer
Any good romhack.

Having objectively correct opinions is bait now?

Are they playable on hardware though? I know of Star Road and Goldeneye X.

Any good recommendations for romhacks would be appreciated.

You make a template post you're going to be dismissed as bait.

What about if all of your posts use Reddit formatting?

Checkmate, atheists

Bump.

Why cant you just upgrade the firmware?

If Lawyer Dog says its fine then its probably fine.

Nigger what? Assuming you want to play the worst version of multiplats? If its the only console you could own, then sure, but I doubt anyone here on Holla Forums has less than 3 consoles or so.

Is this thing compatible with the Dong Expansion or whatever that shit DK uses

Emulating is literally better due to the upscaling.

try again

The compatibility issues with SNES and N64 flash carts is typically hardware related. It wasn't uncommon for games to have special chips. Cartridges now are mostly uniform, that's why patching and firmware updates fixes games easily post-N64. It's a completely different matter for those 2 godforsaken consoles.

It's horrible because emulators don't achieve 100% compatibility, flash carts weren't there either for a long ass time (still had issues last I checked, but I'll take user's word for it), and yet they had the comfiest games

Why does everyone forget bomberman hero

There is a rather significant number of N64 games that need a good documenting in a chart. Most people mention the obvious nintendo/rare games but even then I'd say there's a good need for it to be documented in a readable chart.

Also, look into HDMI modding your N64.

The UltraHDMI did appeal, but got one with RGB enabled so it's already looking decent.

Mednafen if you want accuracy and PCSXR if you want upscaling and actual straight lines

Enjoy your random crashes, sound fuckups and games that don't work

There's still the blurring from the system itself. UltraHDMI bypasses the absurd amount of filtering and produces a very clean image, Filtering 2D textures is such a nasty thing to do, but the N64 had something like 3 or 4 layers of filtering over the final image.

In 99,2% of the cases you're correct.

But not in case of this specific system, where the emulators are a case of 10+ years of trying to make a technique that don't work right get to work, made by a sick to the bone community.

There are only like 200 games for the system. Why not download them all, or at least the ones that aren't ports?

Are you counting Japanese releases? I feel like there are a lot more than that

Kek no there aren't.

There is a reason why the N64 bombed everywhere except North America. Yes even Japan passed on it.

there's only 294 North American releases for the system, it's terribly small, but part of the appeal for the N64 is getting into those Japanese games that never made it here.

For comparison, the PS1 had over 2000 games and the Saturn had over 600.

Super Mario 64 was the launch game for the N64.

Yes one game.

Sasuga Nintendo.

Lies, Pilot Wings was also a launch title

Not at all.

this chart should be redone. It looks pretty bad.

Yeah, remove the review scores for one and use properly scaled box art for another.
Also listing the game name and a little description blurb directly below the game's boxart would be better imo.

Confirmed shit list.

Also,

Confirmed even more shit list.

yes, when I made the xbox list for example I used ample spacing (I'd say a bit too much?) but I wanted to maintain a nice aesthetic and I think it worked pretty well. It's very readable at least, and the quality stands well. That N64 image looks like it was made to cater for older bandwidth limitations and screen sizes, considering the quality and actual resolution.

The guy on the Hybrid Heaven box looks like Donte.

I wish I knew Nipponese user.

it has clunky controllers but it's still fun.

That's my count on the bundle collection of N64 games on the share thread for the emulator, only 2 of those were stuff I included myself afterwords as part of the "you'll never play this anywhere else".

I'm getting 95, excluding multiplats and the few arcade ports.

so, is there any good n64 emu out there?

no, the two that exist barely werk but hey it's better than nothing, check the emulation wiki

Ah I see my mistake, since it's 95 though that's close enough for me. I know games like Winback aren't recommended because they're one of the ones whom had a bug that wasn't fixed. It was only figured out this year that the square is a moving texture bug involving the sky and water.

No, although Project64 is now open source so maybe bugs can be hammered out more effectively.

Doom 64. You'd be surprised at how thats a better Doom 3 than the actual Doom 3.

Just play the PC port

Diddy Kong Racing
Harvest Moon 64

I guess you could, but no reason you can't play both.

Why the fuck would you ever need that useless babble to play fucking custom robo.

Krikzz is one of the few epeople still interested in producing new products for old systems, and the N64 especially is a mega bitch. You can have other stuff like SD2SNES which is more or less just an open source fan project, or you can get chinese crap like the GB Smart Card, but krikzz is going to be the majority hold of any flash cart.

This man says otherwise.

Generally the reason it was hard was because Nintendo kept it's internal workings an elusive secret, which turned out to be a system that had some bad optimization so once some of those secrets were revealed companies would have to do complete custom work on their own.

1080, my nigga

going to try it. Already got some sound problems.

n-bump

an emulator

talking of xbox, i finally dragged mine out and swapped the 160gb for a better working 250gb.

Perfect Dark
Hybrid Heaven
Body Harvest
Space Station Silicon Valley
Conker
Dong Expand 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Mario Kart 64
Road Rash 64
Starfox
Mario Party if you have friends who are we kidding

That's literally only one system that guy's done anything for so far, and it's not even publicly available yet. If he moves on to other systems, that'd be rad, but I wouldn't count on it.

Nobody could argue otherwise.

Just be sure to get Glide64 it's one of the best graphical plug-ins, do not however go for the latest version since the guy who developed it also apparently works on Dolphin and deliberately sabotaged it or something like some kike asshole. Jacob's Plugin both his newest and best 1.5 versions are also recommended even if they're out of date. You're basically going to be going back and forth between all three of these. You're also going to need version 1.6 of project64 and the latest version (no viruses anymore). The screen door effect is the best that you can hope for in many cases. If you can't stand Project64 there are other N64 emulators, some of them actually specialize for specific games too but you'll need to dig a bit to find them since I can't remember what most of them are called.

It's all one big mess.

Why the hell doesn't that Xbox list show which games are exclusives and which games are multi-plat?

Mupen64plus is rly damn awesome. Almost perfect

No one gives a shit about Bomberman Hero.

I loved it though.

Reminder that faggots like these not only populate Holla Forums but this planet as well. Die swiftly please.

3 is the one most of the kids here remember.

And they're never going away.

It's a pretty good list but it looks awful.

you need to go eat some nails

Because I didn't see much value in it. If you're looking for Xbox games, you're looking for games to play on the Xbox. Chances are if a game is multiplat, you'll find out when you look it up to play.

Well, Xbox was the most powerful between Gamecube and PS2. Or at least more than PS2.

Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 are fucking GOAT if you have the GB games with them.

Well, the xbox has maybe 20 or so decent exclusives, the rest are multiplats. Being the owner of a CFWd Xbox I cant tell you most of my library is multiplats, it means that my other 6th gen consoles are dedicated to exclusives. It certainly makes hdd space less of a problem

On the subject of Everdrives, I think I'm going to go for the ED64, its $30 cheaper than the Everdrive on amazon and from what I've gathered online the differences (at least with the 2.5 version) are negligible. I don't care if chinks made em, if it works it works.

project64 seems to have some weird audio problems and can't play conker
Mupen64plus (retroarch) runs out of box without any problem and i can play conker.

i don't understand why anons hate mupen64plus?

I don't know what your audio problems are for Project64 it could be in fact your hardware or the plugin. "Not being able to play Conker" is going to need a better description though because that's a Rare game which Rare designs all their games to put the N64 to it's limit.

mupen64Plus being good for you tells me your hardware is more compatible, make no mistake though you will by necessity require a list for every option combination you need for every game you play because none of the emulators are actually good enough to play a game without at least one minor problem cropping up.

Is that… Pecos Hank?

Its Dave Grohl from Nirvana and the Foo Fighters mate

Surprised no one is talking about how you can now play 64DD games on your Everdrive. V2.0 here and can confirm you can.

sucks you cant save, but hey its something

Rainbow Road FZX theme is GOD TIER

Better than BM64 1 & 2 IMHO.

damn, can one do this on the knockoff everdrive too? ED64? Also
There's only like 2 or so games right?

Didn't FZX DD get an English translation recently?