Batman - The Telltale Series

So this just came up and looks like it's another masterpiece

Other urls found in this thread:

twitch.tv/broteam/v/81465008
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do they do this to batman games on purpose ?

Why do people buy video games where the developer leaves out the game on purpose? When did the masterful genre of story-driven adventure games devolve from the glory of King's Quest and kin into bland choose your own adventure books with even less illusion of choice?

Telltale are like lego, they make a lot of ridiculously similar games games based on different intellectual properties and nobody seems to have a problem that they're practically making the same game again and again

b-but muh choices

Patting heads is so hardcore guise, game of the year

Can't wait for Telltale to die.

These reviews for Batman are great. All mostly negative, after the car crash DC had with Superman V Batman, their bosses won't be happy. All the projects TT are also doing at the moment and their lack of using a decent engine are finally catching up to them.

Amen to that, brother. Telltale deserves to burn in the deepest pit of hell.

Telltale deserves to die in flames solely because they buried Sam & Max to push out fucking bullshit like MINECRAFT STORY MODE

I hope Brote will stream it while drunk.

Are these just shitty reviews or is the game really short?

probably just unplayable. Sounds like series bugs and syncing issues

Someone post the pig video.

I watched someone play it on PS4 and it didn't have any of these problems. Maybe it's just issues with the PC release. I also checked the Steam store page again, and it seems the system requirements are lower than they were before release.

How many of these fucking """games""" have they made so far ?

So did they made Bruce Wayne bisexual or something? Why did no mainstream reviewer notices the PC version runs like shit?

They noticed it. They just didn't include it in their reviews because that means breaking the monetary contract by TellTale and/or WB/DC

I don't like it.

Oh God, it's gonna be great.

That is some serious nostalgia talking. Point and click adventure games didn't have amazing stories and certainly didn't have a good interaction between the gameplay (puzzles) and the story. Just look at the retarded logic underpinning most so called 'puzzles' in these games.

I think this modern Telltale design of an almost visual novel style game with is a natural evolution for the modern age. However, with such bare bones gameplay then the story and writing better be top notch.Also some puzzle-lite elements would be good to mix up the experience. I think season 1 Walking Dead nailed this. Everything since from Telltale has been a failure though.

Based Kenny

Visual Novel at least have multiple ending and your choice actually matters. TTG artificial choices become apparent on the second playthrough and you realize that every choices dont have any consequences

Nailed what? being a fucking waste of time? adventures game in the past rely heavily on puzzles and its really good for what it is, TTG choose your own adventure is fucking false advertising because you cannot 'CHOOSE your own adventure. Everything is set in stone regardless of what you do.

What is it with Batman games and being poorly optimised? Is someone in WB trying to sabotage the IP?

To be fair you can make some genuinely cool shit with legos, not sure you can do the same with Telltale games.

Crowdplay was the only interesting new thing they added to the game. Too bad, it doesn't work that well, especially for a stream. The delay you get the pick and when it appears on the stream is too large and you get very little time to pick when it does finally show up.

I was in the DSP stream of the game and I could barely tell when the choices I put in had any affect. I had to press down hard to try to make sure it worked. I was on PC and I couldn't tell if my choices made it through because my name wouldn't show up in the choices listed. I couldn't only confirm that I was in the crowdplay when I had to span thumbs and thumbs down on the side. Sometimes it would freeze up and say wait a moment and skip choices abruptly between actions and you couldn't change the choice you accidentally made. Of course like any telltale game, the choices you make don't matter.

Interesting feature but needs a lot of improvements to it.

A good Lego set has a bunch of generic pieces and a few special one for a specific function or appearance. A bad Lego set is nothing but proprietary pieces To make a model that you may as well buy as one object, but gives the illusion of taking effort to make. Telltale is obviously the latter.

It's gonna be great.

It's modern Telltale user, you don't want a new Sam and Max or Homestar Runner shit from them. It'll just be a VN.

Don't forget early on in the first episode

They probably want an excuse to stop making games for PC altogether.

Yeah the walking dead game is shit I mean it's not a good point and click because you have all of one item and one thing you need to ever do and all your choices don't matter. Quick save the guy or the girl. Oops we don't want to put in the work to have two separate characters better kill them off in the next episode.

GET
OUT

Don't forget the part where Lily goes and shoots Carley or Doug regardless of what you do, and then disappears from the game regardless of your choice, and no real consequences are derived.

This, pretty much. TWDS1 had enough point and click elements and action segments to feel like you were playing something every once and a while. Now, they axed all of the lite puzzles a retard could solve and dumbed down the action segments into nothing.

Oh but user the guy at the end of the game yells at you that's like a consequence right?

user, do you actually, unironically like DSP?

DSP is Chris-chan gaming version.

You can't be serious. As I said before this is a bad case of rose tinted glasses. The puzzles themselves are nonsense illogical padding and it was only the writing and imaginative settings that made these games memorable (Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Sam and Max).

I really don't know what you expect. The only game I think that comes to close to offering what you want is Witcher 2 and that still ends up in the same place regardless of what path you go down. I suppose you could say Fallout New Vegas lets you pick which faction ends up owning the dam but thats just a better version of the pick your ending option. The Walking Dead changed your relationships with characters based on the things you did. Doug and Carely survive for two more episodes after their and still have a meaningful part in the story. I am all for hating on all the new stuff Telltale has down, but the TWD S1 certainly holds up for what it is.

I mean seriously, do you guys really want old adventure games back? They are not good.

I let him kill the edgy cunt at the end almost entirely because of how obvious it was that the game wanted me to do otherwise
Kenny had a hard life

The weird thing about that is that the Kenny ending is the best one.

Regardless of what you tell him he'll do the same exact thing, so that's not much of a consequence

Season 2 generally was just awful. Kenny was seriously the voice of reason and the entire game was trying to paint him as an evil psycho.

You know it's really sad when broke Jap devs can make a game with twenty different endings but a western game with a major franchises money behind it can't have more than one outcome.

He is also never wrong at any point and they still try to make him the bad guy.

if anyone was in season 2, it was definitely him
he did have his retarded moments, but they felt so forced and uncharacteristic of him that it just felt like the devs were trying to make me hate him

Thats actually a good point, thank you for providing good reasoning.

I dunno man dosent matter how shit the game is, it matters how much it sold.

Especially with pre order hyping.

Difference is that lego make quality shit. Telltale on the other hand…

How does one break a game with almost no player influence?

He ain't the boat master for nuthin y'know

I will never understand what the appeal of playing a two hour long "game" that has less gameplay than a dvd menu is and why some wastes of food and air even itt are still buying these things.

I think one of the main problems telltale suffers from is the fact that they never want to affect the actual universe.

Like Lily and Hershel both appear in the comics, and it seems like telltale wants the game to be in the Canon universe.

Hershel literally is only there to show how his son died and his farm went to shit, while Lily only exists to show that she's a bitch.

TL;DR having a story driven game be set in the same niversee, not affect the story, and be in the exact same state is retarded.

Embed related

They were decent around the Sam & Max era and still had some puzzling to do if basic. I don't know how they slipped but I would assume big cash franchises had something to do with it. They probably did the earlier ones as portfolio work.

Just because a game is good doesn't mean you can make it again and again

When I say they're the same game i'm barely even exaggerating, minus new levels and a few new features (mostly character abilities) each installment, they're basically just repaints of the exact same thing.

Batman is the shittiest member of The Justice League. Why do plebs love him so much?

Because they cream themselves over the fact that while he doesn't have superpowers, he can still kick Superman's ass and anyone else because lolgadgets

In a scene where Batman has to interrogate a criminal for more information on Falcone, the player has the options to be nonviolent or very violent. Batman will pick up a pipe and you have the option to hit the suspended criminal or knock over a barrel with it to intimidate him. There is also the option to break his arm. This means nothing as if you refuse to hurt the man, in the very next scene Alfred will chastise you for 'beating him half to death'.

Another player choice is the ability to choose between four colors which will change Batman's computer and his holograms.

you know, it just struck me how completely worthless a batman telltale game is
one of the only choices they ever put in these damn games is deciding whether to kill someone or not, and they can't even have that here
what kind of choices can you even have? deciding how much he whines about his parents?

But user you can choose the color of your UI! For first time in a telltale game your choice did actually matter

For some reason Oswald Cobblepot, or 'Oz', the guy who is short and fat and is shaped like a penguin is now svelt and has a hipster haircut.

Harvey Dent is noticeably taller and significantly more buff than the guy who punches criminals for a living.

Most of the dialogue choices are with Bruce and that boils down to 'Jerk Bruce, Neutral Bruce, and Agreeable Bruce' in relation to what another character says. There's not many choices in this game. All the action sequences are usual Telltale fare of press a button or do a motion when it appears. However, I've noticed several instances of Batman failing a prompt and a good outcome still happening regardless.

Detective work is very limited. There's one real crime scene to pick apart and all you have to do is connect pieces evidence to one another in a trial and error manner in order for them to make sense and then play out in Batman's hologram helmet.

Batman also has the same mecha gravely voice effect that was used in Batman v Superman. It's absolutely terrible. Troy Baker, the default voice for every male character in video games voices Bruce, I think.

Telltale story structure, anons. YOU chose yout story.

At least this was somewhat funny.

A really fun and interesting* part of the game is when Batman attacks Falcone's club and plans a method of attack. This involves clicking on henchmen, seeing a hologram Batman punch them, and when all of the henchmen are clicked, Batman will then carry out the thing you just saw. It does not matter what order you do this in and it is essentially busywork before the QTEs of Batman punching more people.

*This is not fun nor interesting.

Also, i see that telltale is still using that Godawful crypto cell shading like in every single one of their games so far.

what the fuck are they even doing with this game jesus christ
it's like the borderlands fans stroked their ego's so much that they can't make any other kind of character, christ not even the Nolan films played around with the characters this much

Wall of text incoming but Kenny was the objectively best character Telltale has made in years. Let's look at the good Season 2 endings for all the reasons you'll ever need to respect this saint.

>He doesn't even give a shit about anyone but Clem and AJ, wanting them safe above anything else, likely sacrificing a chance at his own safety that inevitably becomes a shitshoot but look I fucking cried at the time and to this day I refuse to rewind

I will admit I'm a sucker for "best friend you'll ever have" characters to the point they make shitty games good See: Teagan Almace, Silas but I know we can agree on this:

LITERALLY THE BEST CHARACTER TELLTALE COULD HAVE MADE, FOLKS, AND WE'LL NEVER GET ANOTHER ONE LIKE HIM
HERE'S TO YOU, KENNY. HOPE YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO TURN WHEN YOU DIED. YOU DESERVE TO REST BRO.

Cell shading is not bad when used in a better game.

Don't tell me we're gonna see the Big Guy in this pile of shit

Prepare your ass /bane/. You are about to become more cancerous than you already are.

They already shoehorned Sam into Walking Dead. It will be much worse this time around.

Found Bane.

isn't that the dog that goes feral and you kill? I won't jump to conclusions but that would be pretty damn cold of them, I wouldn't be surprised

holy fuck they literally CANNOT make any other model besides an average Joe can they? does the little twerp at least get the muscle juice to temporarily buff up?
that's just fucking sad
he's not even a big guy

That's not Bane, but rather a generic goon which Batman fights several of in the beginning of the episode.

Here's a good example of that. Notice how the cursor is on the left side of the screen and doesn't move at all.

Gentlemen, we have reached a new level of video game, games that play themselves!

Even my chinese writings and drawings have more complexity

Bane is a big meme because he was in a stinking pile of shit. So I'm kinda looking forward to what fresh memes will spawn from this trainwreck with no survivors.

I did what I always do. Watch Broteam play it and fail every possible thing and choose to not say anything anytime he can.

Broteam played it?! I hope that fucker uploads edited version on youtube.

twitch.tv/broteam/v/81465008

Yes, this BroTeam doesn't even allow public responses.

Okay…

Did I miss something?
Batman V Superman made more than Batman Begins despite being an even worse film

Go home.

Because he is a human being and not a fucking subversive literal alien.

???

Eceleb shit, take it to the 4AM thread if you don't want to be bullied.

what did he mean by this

You disgust me user, but all is forgiven just because you saw the light and didn't fall for Telltale's bullshit. Honestly though, I'm still trying to find out what is more cancerous out of this whole shitfest :

- The company itself which has done nothing but shit out sub-par / mediocre (((GAMES))) these past few years - with Tales being the only semi-decent shit for half a season - that continuously milk retards and creates more rabid fanboys that are hilariously more delusional than all Kennyfags combined
- The Janefags that infested this site at the time of S2 airing.

what

Holy fucking shit. When you play on PC, the keyboard key QTEs fade into Xbox buttons. How do you overlook something like that? How is this acceptable?

What would you say was Telltale's last good game?
I'd say Tales of Monkey Island or Devil's Playhouse.

Maybe they think most PC users play with Xbox controllers :^)

Watched Bro Team play this. It was typical shitty modern Telltale except it barely ran, crashed and froze up multiple times. Wonder if the Minecraft audience will still lap it up.

Those borth came out before they found their "formula" and just started copy/pasting shit. Walking Dead was the beginning of the end for them.

The perfect example of a Telltale game.

The Wolf Among Us had as much choice as any Telltale game but i found the story and overall presentation to be good. Overall i would say that TWAU and TWD season 1 are the only good things that came out from this ''new" telltale.
I also heard that their Borderlands game is actually good but knowing that a lot of people love TWD season 2 and excuse all of its bullshit it could be just fanboys speaking bullshit again.

Tales of the Borderlands is the best borderlands game.
But not their best since Burch wrote some lines that are painfully obvious.

How the fuck do you fuck up optimization with a "game" like this? This has to be intentional

Yea nah, fuck you

Tales from the Borderlands is good. Even people who say TWDS2 was shit (such as myself) agree it's good.

Alright, i will one day pirate that.

For what reasons? I'm not shitting on it I am just curious.

i still can't wrap my head around making a story driven game on a franchise that has barely any story in it
Though it must involve Handsome Jack in some way right?
i think he's the only Villain gearbox ever done right

I liked the characters and the humor (it's not heavily reliant on memes), and in general it's fun lighthearted adventure that I found enjoyable. They also try to make your choices somewhat matter with the end of episode 2 choice, and by having which vault hunters you're allowed to pick for episode 5 be based on your choices in previous episodes.

You should really cut out all those "because I like it" comments when describing why something is good. But yeah sounds like its not completely in the Telltale trashbin.

Reminder that telltale """""games""""" are literally "watch a video, press key/click 2-3 times, watch a video" on repeat until the """""game""""" ends.

It involves Handsome Jack but I heard he's better written in Tales than other Borderlands games. I've only played very little bit of Borderlands 2 however so I don't really know how it compares.

So are there any good vidya where you have to figure out something from the story?

it's obvious from the start fam

This. I love it when there is some deeper symbolism or message in a story that can only be found out if you pay attention.

I don't mean understanding some symbolism, I mean that instead of getting the secret by collecting 100 things or seeing all the endings, you have to pay attention to all the clues that are given to you and use them to solve the main puzzle, or fail.

ITS NOT SIMON SAYS

I would like to add that it seems like at least with the first season that a lot of people actually didn't realise that the game had no real choice. I remember watching a lets player long ago and he said during the lets play that he didn't realise until their lets play that the game pretty much had no choice and people who commented under the video said similar things.
Could it be possible that there were multiple people back then that really fell for the ''your choices matter" shit?

Yeah that is great too.

I fell for the your choices matter with the first walking dead, I had a suspicion they didnt while playing but I didnt look it up untill after finishing the "game".

By the end of it i realise the choices things was absolute bullshit because all the scenes would play out VERY differently if you actually had choices with a real impact and i knew that the devs couldn't actually pull it off so i put the two together and realised what bullshit it really was.
But i must admit i was even more horrified when i saw that choices really had zero impact on anything. It was way worse then i thought and even telltale, with its smaller budget and team, could have done way better.

I saw Brote's stream last night, what was the point of the red and green thumbs in the Batman game?

Never thought I'd see the day.
The Schadenfreude is a thin mask for the pain I feel inside.

BRUCE WILL REMEMBER THIS

From what I understand the red and green thumbs represent the Crowd in the Crowd Play's opinion towards the choices made. However, since Telltale didn't implement some sort of number to go along with this, you can't tell how many people agree in relation to how many people don't. You just see names popping up. And in Bro Team's case, who had around 500 people in his crowd, it was just a continuous feed of names with no real context.

In fact, from what I understand, Crowd Play has a bit of delay to it. And with 4 to 8 seconds to answer a question, most people didn't understand exactly what color represented what. Everyone just picked yellow since that meant "…". Crowd Play is a real dumb idea to me. Only because there's so little actual gameplay and player input in Telltale games to begin with, letting even more of it go to chance just means the game plays itself more than it already does.

Epic

oh boy

Pretty sure most of those arent even shills but just good goyim

there's a specific audience for telltale games, people who say they like videogames but don't want any gameplay

Do they know they can just watch a Youtube playthrough and get the exact same game?

The prompts don't need to be prompted, the gameplay doesn't need to be played, and the choices have very little choice in the matter.

He wanted me there. I thought this was the objectively morally correct choice. He gets what he wanted, Clementine and AJ are more likely to survive, and my only concern is if he'd turn into a walker.

He needs to rest. The guy's been through hell and back, and finally he can have closure. I have second thoughts of course

TALK SHIT GET HIT FUCKFACE

So far I know of four including this one as of present. Maybe an extra one or two that slipped under the radar, and they do have Walking Dead Season 3 in development.

Oh boy I wonder how they'll ruin Kenny or make fun of the people who sided with him than Jane

BANE?!

It was confirmed that Clementine losing a finger in season 3 is determinant based on your ending choice in season 2, so some of us in /ttgg/ think that Clem losing a finger is going to be a punishment for going with Kenny.

The E3 trailer shows that there's another huge-ass time-skip, Clementine is now in her mid-to-late-teens, AJ is primary-school-aged, and they're both traveling in a city with a 18-20 something white dude guide, searching for an antagonist who's apparently in control of the territory, marked by whoever they are capturing, branding, then releasing the nearby zombies.

It seems they're just skipping over addressing season 2 ending straight-on altogether. Mixed bag that; on the one hand it reaches new heights of invalidating players, and at some point people's paternal goodwill for Clementine is gonna run dry if they keep aging her up 5 years and making her shoot everyone in cold blood. On the other hand, reconciling or canonizing any of the divergent epilogues would have required more tact and evenhandedness than any modern Western gamedev/writer could be expected to possess. The option of making or choosing a new character for the story to follow and building player investment in them back up from scratch of course never occurred to them.

you're objectively wrong and also gay. you've never played old adventure games.
kill urself

At this point I can only think of marvelfags buttblasted because there isn't a Iron Man telltale game

They actually are making a Marvel game next year.

So it's like a live version of their percentage thing that you usually have at the end of each episode, but this time it's just dumb.

Especially in this "game". If you use the crowd play "simon says" system, you don't even have to press a button, people are making the decision for you.

I just want to see Catwoman's ass.

Totally. I know I miss the days when you sat down to play an adventure game and had to make yourself as batshit as the game's designer to figure out their asinine fucking puzzles to pad out a game that is otherwise fifteen cocking minutes long.

There's not a lot of Catwoman ass and it's kinda lackluster.

This guy's sorta right. Point and click games have lost their audience since they don't really want to think anymore. Those old games suffered because some of the puzzles were needlessly complex and had some failstates that were unknown until you just ended up in one.

The newer games are now streamlined to the point where there's no challenge or even thought, just hitting the button prompt when it appears, walking down the hallway, interacting with all the items that have a interact icon over it, and then pretending you're in a conversation with an NPC. Frankly, I'd rather sit down with an old adventure game that's a bit unfair than pay 20 bucks for a game where I do nothing.

Are you fucking reatarded? I expect to have my own fucking adventure according to my choices you dumbass

Maybe Bioshock infinite is more your style

It's almost like being episodic is counterproductive to making a branching narrative and Telltale's MO is inherently flawed.

This is literally a Tumblr game isn't it. Something for fangirls to draw inspiration for their new pairings, draw fanart of, and playing one handed while schlicking to some yaoi on the second monitor.

BASED

Holy shit, I was just about to post this.

It feels like I turned my back for a second and the company went from great to shit. I hadn't heard a thing after Poker Night until the Minecraft shit started popping up.