Baldurs Gate and other D&D Games thread

Whether it's BG1 BG2 or BGEE1 or BGEE2, Neverwinter Nights 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, or it's EE's Temple of Elemental Evil or even Eye of the Beholder, talk about it here.

Quick question, I'm playing the Enhanced Edition and it seems only the version present in the GOG gamesCollection actually works, but it's of a very far back version that I can't seem to update.

So far I've ended up Torrenting the following but literally every single one of them will not install or even patch the one I got through the GOG collection torrent, so It seems I'm stuck with EE on an earlier patch.

I was wondering if anyone could supply the GOG patches for BG:EE, BG:EEII, ID:EE and ID:EEII.

Other urls found in this thread:

volafile.io/r/HF33Go
sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/
social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-Technical-Support-Self-help-for-all-versions-and-expansions/Installing-NWN1-for-Win7vista-including-patch-links-for-all-OS--3341490-1.html
nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Windows
gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/why_is_my_characters_skin_silver
radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm
gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/videos_and_cutscenes
mirror.aleturo.com/Games/NWN/
social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-General-Discussion-Forum-No-Spoilers-Allowed/UNOFFICIAL-links-to-redownload-previously-purchased-Premium-modules-4746466-1.html
neverwinternights.info/index.htm
neverwinternights.info/p170.htm
neverwinternights.info/nwncx.htm
adwr.wikia.com/wiki/Hall_of_Fame_&_Module_of_the_Year_2006_Interview
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh right, here's the list of stuff I found.

I really hate how awful the character models in NWN2 look. Always takes me out of the game. NWN1 looked like shit too but it didn't settle squarely in the uncanny valley.

Also

How the fuck did they not retcon that guy and the BG novels yet?

With a few mods NWN looks a bit more decent, but in honestly I liked it because it was kind of like a Higher res 2nd gen Runescape.

Because he's an ultra omni cucklord.

In all honesty, I was fine with his name ands tats save for the berserker babbby shit, but the way his story plays out contrast to the game does not give his character any justice whatsoever and it watered it down immensely.

Plenty of cosmetic mods to solve that issue, though NWN2's PRC mods are literally ass, and the games programming actually managed to make some classes less functional, or even resulted in modders having to cut corners with some class options.

Where can I find baldur's gate enhanced edition without the dragonspear dlc?
Or, does it comes with dragonspear? I though that dlc was made after the hd remake or whatever

It doesn't come WITH the DLC user, that's a separate installation.

Don't ever install it, I havn't and I know it's bad.

I only played a tiny bit of Baldurs Gate as a kid

I'm thinking of getting the Enhanced Edition for my tablet.. been waiting months for a sale because I don't wanna pay 10 bucks but fuck it, I really want a tablet game to play.

Good choice y/n?

Whenever I look for a torrent or a page to download it, it says BD ee + dragonspear latest patch etc. I guessed it was all included in the installation, never bothered to donwload one to check because I need all my 3rd world bandwidth

If you ahve a torrent for the enhanced edition alone or with the dlc as a separete install please post it, I dont care what version it is since it's gonna be my first run

Either it will be a pain to controll, or it will be really dumbed down. Im sure there's some way to pirate tablet games anyway

Don't get it for tablet, get it for PC, because you can then pop on the
And more goodies from the community.

There's also the originals which, with a few mods installed work on tablet anyway, including the one that fuses BG1&2 into a complete adventure.

volafile.io/r/HF33Go
It's GOG shit torrent files.

So, any BG stories?

Only one recently

I don't know whats wrong with me.

It doesn't come with the Dragonspear DLC when you first purchase it, you buy them both separately (though BGEE is required to play Dragonspear).

Now as we all know Dragonspear sucks, for a variety of reasons, so don't play that one. However, what you really need to do is play BG1EE and BG2EE with the 1.3 patches instead of the botched 2.0 patches that were released alongside the release of Dragonspear. Since I don't think you can roll back to 1.3 without a bunch of silly workarounds or have access to the 1.3 installer when buying on GOG, you might have to find unofficial methods to get a hold of the 1.3 versions which were the last stable releases of the Enhanced Editions before Beamdog fucked up again with 2.0.

Also it should be noted the 2.0 patches for BG1EE and BG2EE broke a number of things like mod compatibility, and made the UI look worse as well as the character sheets. They also made the process of selecting custom character portraits incredibly annoying if you had your custom portrait folder filled with a high number of images to use. Too many things for me to think of offhand, but the 2.0 patches were a big step back aside from being able to switch between dual wielding and a ranged weapon seamlessly. Some nagging issues from 1.3 still remained unfixed so I'd still recommend those for sure.

Any new Neverwinter Nights modules out?

It's an old game and starts slow, you have to make an actual effort to play the game, as opposed to newer RPGs which are usually designed to be addictive in the shallowest possible way.

Shit, are people still working on those?

Last time I played, I made a mod to BG2 where I reworked a lot of useless spells and made some new ones. Sadly it was lost when my hard drive died.

It was pretty fun and made the game a lot more enjoyable.

What it did:
-Most buff spells had increased durations, so you could throw on stuff like shield or Draw Upon Holy Might, and it would last all day instead of 1 encounter.
-Useless spells like color spray and sleep had their hard caps removed, and instead of being useless got a penalty to their saving throws.
-Some spells got improved effects or combined into one spell. Detect Evil was given the effect so that it dispelled invisibility on evil creatures. Protection from Petrification also gave you protection from Evil, etc
-Every 5 levels, I'd make one "super spell" to give to my mages/clerics in increasing spell level. Stuff like a magic missile where each missile is a Larloch's minor drain effect, or a combined burning hands/color spray, fireballs that don't hurt party members, up to at later levels a Ruby Ray/Khelben's warding whip effect combined into 1 spell.
-Clerics would get similar benefits, sometimes as simple as combining stuff like Cure Disease with Cure medium wounds.
-NPCs usually had their special abilties improved (e.g. most of the negative effects were removed from Minsc's Berserk)
-I made a few HLAs that let you do stuff like activate whirlwind attack and deathblow in the same turn. I'd usually take away 1 use per day of each when adding this.
-I took some lesser used weapons, and made some that combined their effects, usually by dumping some gold and the two items onto cespanar. Usually I'd make them effectively higher level so they could get through magic protection, but not increase the thaco/damage bonus. (e.g. Sword of Flame + Flame Tongue, Dragon Slayer + Blade of Roses, Mauler's Arm + Skullcrusher, Frostreaver + Stonefire)
-I added in more infinite arrow quivers that I'd allow myself to improve after collecting 1,000 arrows of a specific type. By the end of the game, I'd have a quiver of +3 acid, biting, fire, ice arrows.

I also played this with a ton of difficulty mods, to make it so the game wasn't a complete faceroll. It made buffing go much more quickly, and made it fun to blow over enemies with stuff like color spray or use Mazzy as an archer, rather than using the standard, boring yet overpowered tactics.

Name one crpg game that i essentially need to complete.

Better question: any NWN modules that compare to ADWR in terms of gameplay? Smut aside, the rogue gameplay in that module was stellar.

Planescape: Torment. The combat is easiest to get into out of the old IE games. One of the best games ever made, too. After that go with Baldur's Gate 1 (you can mod it to use the vastly superior BG2 engine with BGTuTu or BGT mods) and follow it up with Baldur's Gate 2. One thing to note about BG1 is that the start is SLOW AS FUCK but picks up immensely a few hours in when you get to lvl 2-3. Strongly recommend to use a walkthrough for BG1 because 1) the story sucks 2) randomly exploring will get you killed 3) 95% of the NPCs are useless and say nothing worth reading. There's also a AD&D mechanics FAQ on gamefaq, read that before starting BG1.

None of them are connectec in any way, except some of them develop on the same world. Start with any of them

What about starting from BG2 if its better? What about enhanced editions?

Also planescape doesn't allow create your own characters so i am kinda always turn away from that game, its default hero sucks.

Stay away from the enhanced editions, use the mods I mentioned instead. There's detailed instructions on how to set that shit up, google it.

Don't start with BG2. You will get your shit pushed in by the combat, even on the easier settings. BG1 is story light, but the combat is great once you get a full party and aren't lvl1-2 getting 1shot by wolves.

PS:T is a masterpiece. While your character's portrait and sprite are set in stone, the personality and actions aren't. You can be a saint or the worst son of a bitch there ever was. And anything in-between.

Honestly I think IWD is my favorite of the Infinity Engine games.

Sure not much story wise, but the encounter design is just that much better. BG/BG2 always felt like a "you stomp them or they stomp you in 2 rounds" sort of scenario, but IWD did battles of attrition well, where sleeping safely is a luxury, and every encounter felt meaningful (not to mention, lots of traps that were designed well, rather than being detect or die sorts of things)

Also the randomized and limited selection of gear/spells to buy made it more exciting when you found a 6th level spell scroll in a dungeon, since it was less "use only the best spells of this level" and more "split the two 6th level spells you got between your mage and your bard.

Wtf nigga? If he's completed planescape torment he's gonna ravage BG:2 irenicus dungeon..

Also early game BG1 is easily harder than BG:2 - almost anything at low level BG1 is like 1-3 hits death (kobold fucking caves perfect example).

Read what he wrote again, he says he wants to start with BG2 and ignore BG1/PS:T. He's gonna get his shit wrecked by the ogre mage.

Anna got crabs.

Ah, thanks for telling me, and I was in the look for those EXACT patches myself.

Good thing the GOG collection has 1.3 installers only then.

^
Also there's a time limit, if you spend too long outside of the city (I think it's 100 days) the game just goes 'LOL YOU TOOK TOO LONG' and you autofail.

In terms of difficulty, I think of it like this (easiest to hardest):

PS:T – NWN 2 – NWN – BG2 – BG1 – Icewind dale 2 – Icewind dale

Haven't played the other games so I couldn't tell you for those I'm afraid.

I can agree with that list. Unless you are using SCS, IWD is much harder than BG. There are far more enemies and it's far less forgiving.

It still puzzles me how I managed to solo IWD2 back in the day.

You have no idea what you're missing out on. That is the single greatest RPG I have ever played. It still remains as one of the only games to actually move me emotionally.

Daily reminder you can dev games with the infinity engine now.

Why aren't you putting Beamdog out of business or making some Age of Empires:Faerun edition shit nigga?

I have trouble finishing shit that I start.

What do you mean as in I don't have to pay a cut to anyone or no need for licensing?

There's no autofail at all, unless they added it in EE.

You can just sleep for days if you want.

I didn't know that the engine was being licensed out to anyone other than Beamdog. How would an independent developer even get a hold of using that engine to make an original game?

That playthrough of BG1 and 2 with my bro was the best videogame experience I've ever had.

Pic related is the smug assassin himself.

Daily reminder NWN1/2 (and FRUA, if you're a retrofag) were designed from day 1 for this, and are far more powerful.

Eh… i just noticed how the portraits in BG2 are atrocious compared to the ones in BG1.

Dragons are immune to backstabs AFAIK.

There'd be no other way to do that much damage in a single attack, so apparently they aren't.

You remember wrong, the BG 1 portraits asides from Stone Cold Steve Austin and that Paladin guy looked like shit. Especially Viconia.

Or you just remember wrong.

sourceforge.net/projects/gemrb/

possibly someone changed it in a mod or something

Oh come on now, look at these. In BG1 she looks like a normal woman, in 2 someone who suffered brain damage.

She's a half elf, so of course she's suffered brain damage.

or he's a filthy little liar.

here's a true story though; first playthrough i meet Firkraag, i turn that cheeky cunt into a squirrel. a bloody squirrel m8. then i bash his fookin 'ead in. swear on me mum.

that actually is possible

Can use Feeblemind, Finger of Death and Disintegrate against dragons too. Time Stop > Harm also works. Not sure about Flesh to Stone. Not sure why you'd want to use Flesh to Stone though, unless you plan on XP farming.

bg2 looks like a hot elf slut, bg1 looks boring as fuck

Installing the game

First, you actually want to get NWN, so go torrent NWN Diamond edition from Piratebay or something, this is generally the one you want, you don't want to piss about wuth DLing NWN stanalone then the expansions.

Win7 user will have trouble with installastion, so you need to follow this guide in order to ensure you don't mess up:

social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-Technical-Support-Self-help-for-all-versions-and-expansions/Installing-NWN1-for-Win7vista-including-patch-links-for-all-OS--3341490-1.html

nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Windows

You may also suffer from issues involving non playing cutscenes in the start of campaign chapers when playing or chrome/silver skin at character creation.

The chrome skin issue is usually fixed by simply installing the critical rebuild 1.69 patch found here:

gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/why_is_my_characters_skin_silver

The non playing cutscene issue is caused by a number of different problems, but the first thing you must do is install Bink, found here:

radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm (First DL link)

Here are some sites which can usually help you fix this issue.

gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/videos_and_cutscenes

Using this is how I fixed my Non playing cutscens issue in NWN, however, so it's probably this one.

mirror.aleturo.com/Games/NWN/

Additionally, disable the shiny water option sound ingame, it's a shit, causes savegame bloat and crashes.

Now that you've pretty much installed NWN Diamond edition patched it and made sure you've got no issues, It's time to install the Premium modules, which you can find here:

social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-1/NwN-1-General-Discussion-Forum-No-Spoilers-Allowed/UNOFFICIAL-links-to-redownload-previously-purchased-Premium-modules-4746466-1.html

Download and intstall all of these.

So now, you've pretty much got all of the Vanilla content. Save for Darkness over Daggerford, which was cancelled.

You might also want a fan made module on what happens between Shadows of Unrentide and Hordes of the Underdark, plenty of those on the neverwinter vault.

Community patches/gameplay improvements

Here I will list mods that are to NWN what the Unofficial Oblivion patch is to Oblivion, you'll want to download these for sure.

neverwinternights.info/index.htm

Community Patch

neverwinternights.info/p170.htm

A community patch for all those nasty bugs 1.69 didn't fix.

Also will merge data in you .2da folders togther rather tha overrite if you place them in a folder and run a batch file, so it works with just about anything, includign any installations of the PRC or other modifications you may have installed.

Lastly, there's the PRC, which is a mod that injects a buttload of D&D 3.5 classes and a shitload of other stuff for choice at character creation, amongst other things, such as sub-races that if you name at the begining of character creation, will be seen as their own race.

Before installing the PRC (And most mods anyway) you want this:

neverwinternights.info/nwncx.htm

NWNCX extends what NWN can actually do, and is needed to select the PRC base classes at character creation.

Lastly you want something called Leto 1.69 PRC edition I think, for editing PRC characters and stuff.

Honestly, this is taken from an old guide I wrote on the subject as much has changed on the modding scene since then, as we now have a working mod manager that works in the same fashion as the Mod organiser for bethesda games, which is a godsend compared to drag'n drop Override files to NWN1.

There'd be more links to mods here, but they were all to the old neverwinter vault, whcih shut down and changed to a new site, so they no longer work, and their search engine is piss, so it's hard to fidn the old stuff.

Anyhow, the basic stuff you want is the game fully patched with cutscenes working then the community patch, the PRC being optional if you want it, as you have things like the CEP needed for Custom created modules to play, or persistant servers and whatever.

One more thing, most moduels want these massive fuckass collections of assets, one called the CEP, and the other Project q.

Get both, and also get the CEP 2.1 (An older version) as some modules use it, such as a Hunt through the dark, a popular series of Drow modules.

Oh right, and put the game's .exe's in compatiblity. for windows XP and run as Admin, that's one of the most important things.

There's also a Mod manager for installing mods now, which you can find on the nexus, it's a bit buggy now, but the author is open to bug report submissions.
It's a lot better than the manual method, anyhow.

Any good NWN1 modules that aren't ADWR? Either good gameplay/combat or good story/writing.

She looks like hapa nigger.

Does disintegrate also destroy loot?

Never used it myself. I don't like save-or-die spells.

Darkness over daggerford, an unfinished DLC that was released as a playable module which is pretty much all the things that made BG great applid asa NWN module, A hunt through the dark, (very difficult, make sure to play as a rogue) the DLC, and a few of the thigns on the nexus like this one where you're workign for this wizard but it's on the top nexus files anyhow.

Yeah.

Well, she is HALF-Elf.

yes unless you mod it.

however it does not destroy items marked as quest items.

Boo is distinctly a miniature giant space hamster
this creature is in fact a part of D&D. Giant space hamsters hail from Spelljammer, and they come in miniature varieties

Hold on, that wasn't just a hamster?

as the flavor text said, "apparently such things do exist in the realms"
and they do

All this time I thought it was something the devs made up as a joke.

nwn Holla Forums server?

Incase you're a fan of ADWR heres the creator interview
adwr.wikia.com/wiki/Hall_of_Fame_&_Module_of_the_Year_2006_Interview

Yeah, some modules get released every now and then sporadically. Wink and Kiss 2 is under development and so is A Dance With Spies. I don't really keep track of any other modules.

You should start with the premium modules if you haven't played them already. Then there are a bunch of good ones that I could recommend like say Honor Among Thieves.

It is you were just thinking of the wrong devs :^)

Shit-dreads aside, that dopey look just doesn't suit her bitchy attitude