How to get better at basic vidya skills?

Stuff like aiming, reaction times and not fucking up everything you do?
I wanna stop being so incompetent but some of this stuff comes down to basic human stuff

I can't play snipers in any sort of games (or something like spy in TF2) because I freak out and panic

Flick aim comes with practice. Just practice against bots that dont fight back daily over a period of time. You can also try predicting the enemy and placed your crosshair where they will be and shoot when they come into it

Practicing? Like in any other skill
Stat with single player shooters if you want, sniper elite if you believe your aim is so shit

If your reaction times, aiming skills and panics in genres like FPS's are extremely bad overall, try out playing osu! normal mode.
If you are at a decent level already, just keep playing the game itself.
If you hit 300 hours played within 6 months and are still bad then try out a different game in the same genre. After that if you want to, go back to original game, your skills should have improved. If not, repeat the previous steps twice, and if you are still bad you might want to quit the genre all together.

Practice, but don't waste your time getting good at first person shooters. It's such a brain dead genre, not worth the time.

I also couldn't be a sniper and then I started practicing it.
Playing with shotguns is way harder, anyway.

This, so much this. I see way too many people trying to keep the crosshairs right over a moving target, and then missing because they stop moving it right before they shoot. Your best option as a sniper is patience; just camp in a high place, watch the way whoever you're shooting is walking around, aim at where their head WAS, and then wait for their head to find itself in that spot again.

If you have to go after a moving target, move your crosshairs FASTER than they are moving, and when you're right in front of where they're going to be in a moment, fire. They'll essentially walk/run right into the path of the bullet.

your skills with vidya will actually not come directly from the vidya you're "training" in.
It sounds weird, I know, but the best thing you can do is actually engage in a multiple variety of video games because each type requires you to think and move in different ways.
Even the difference between playing 2D and 3D games can challenge you in many novel ways against each other.

So just PLAY games. Don't get too bogged down on what type of game you're playing that much BUT do try to strive to play that game at increasingly difficult settings.
But if you really need to be autistic about it, let me give you a rough break down.

You want to help your reaction times? Play fighting games (bonus if it has a turbo speed mode like some of the street fighters did).
You want to help train your judgement of spacial relations? Play platformers. 2D side scrolling and 3D.
You want to help train your accuracy with a mouse and really get to know your keyboard? Play an RTS game. Be sure to ratchet the mouse sensitivity up just a few points.
Have a problem with being under pressure? Play multiplayer shooters. This will also help you learn how to work on teams (for team based shooters) and will actually help tangentially train your strategical/tactical thinking.

And here's just some final thing about this…all these game types will also tangentially make you better at the others.
Basically it boils down to just play video games. All sorts of genres and types. I've seen tons of people who do nothing BUT player shooters and they always suck at them, no matter the hours they put in.

Also, if you can, it may help to play some of these in an altered state of mind…such as drunk.
I used to get shit on for how bad I apparently was at video games when I streamed them (while drinking, because fun) and yet I would complete the games.
I would end up beating these games, drunk, on the hardest settings I could put them on.
Eventually some audience members would message me and tell me they were wrong because I was able to complete these games, hammered, and they couldn't even get close to doing the same under similar circumstances.
What i'm getting at here is that your baseline skill should be at least good enough that you can complete games, while wasted.

Above all else, have fun. Video games are not something that you invest time in to develop skills so that you can do something constructive with them. If you're treating it like a job or career you've fucked up and fucked up badly.
MLG is a joke.
e-sports is a fraudulent shitshow.

Masturbate a lot and drink your semen. That's what I do and I'm the best person at video games ever

this

op, your problem is not about getting gud but having fun gaining the skills and getting gud at the same time.

play osu!, no joke. You will become much better at using your mouse.

I played camper strike source for years since 2008 and I was always shit. Only thing I can do is take an assault rifle or submachine gun and luck around before somone takes me down. It was fun tough and I played it mostly for the fun anyway

Also I still don't know how to bunnyhop and a normalfag friend I introduced into it was better than me after a few weeks compared to me playing it for nearly 2 years.

It's called counting. Timing? You count to yourself how long it takes for something to happen and you change what you do based around that timeframe. Aiming? You practice measuring the relative distance to yourself and how long it takes for your shots to reach then adjust your aim accordingly, if they move then it's simply a matter of shooting where they're going to be instead of where they were aka leading the target. Strategy? Use some math to figure out risk vs reward and force multipliers and some other basic strategies.

Reaction speed simply comes naturally as you get better, oh and getting /fit/ I do however recomend older games and some fan made games for skill training like the bunnyhopping trials just don't pussy out and give up when you die just ask yourself what you did wrong and how you could do that differently. Then try that instead.

Play arena shooters

I used to be terrible at all FPS games until I started playing a lot of UT4. It was mostly bot games at first, but once I got to the point where I could hold my ground against bots near the highest difficulty I went into actual multiplayer games and mopped the floor, then when I went back to other shooters I played like TF2 I was significantly better with dudes like the soldier or sniper.

Everybody is born with a soft cap and a hard cap. Your soft cap is what you can overcome with pure determination and putting in the hours of practice.
Your hard cap is determined by your genetics. No matter how hard you try, you can only master things that are pre-programmed into your genes to be masterable.

How do you avoid burning out? I'm lucky to get thirty hours into a given game before needing to move on to something else.

I have the same problem, there's a couple I've managed to reach 100 hours in but it's a struggle and a lot of that time is usually idling while waiting on multiplayer stuff.

Have you tried pacing yourself?

I wish my attention span allowed me to try and get better at video games instead of dumping it for the next one. In fact, I wish I could play most games for longer than 30 minutes a day.

you git gud

Doesn't change anything, regardless of how many days it takes me to get to 30 hours I always feel completely done with games by then.

Ah. Never tried it, myself.

Well, I tried it, but I'd always end up getting bored or unsure and going back to the game until either I completely burned out on it or something else came along.

Skip Rogers?

From what I've learned in my time playing competitive video games:
Maintaining a healthy body and mind is more important than any amount of dedication to a game.
Staying fit, even if it just means going for a walk for an hour every other day, goes a huge way.
And keeping your brain active, whether through things like reading, or human interaction, or anything (other than video games) can do a lot.

Keeping yourself from going on autopilot is also key. You never want to be a 'floawchart Ken' in any game you play. Always be thinking about your next move and have a contingency for every possible outcome.

Find a good game to train your reaction times.
Bad games or online stuff (afflicted by lag) are not good for reaction times.
A personal suggestion would be monster hunter, and if you never got in the serie then MH4U is a great place to start.
Also follow some of the user's advices in this thread and stay fit.
Try not fucking up your eyes by staring at a screen for too long, too.
Who am i kidding you will do it anyway

wew lad

That kid looks creepily a lot like I did in middle school.