Videogame Graveyard thread

PS2 slim 2007~2016

Despite her best efforts, her owner continously played ripped DVDs that were badly written, eventually losing her laser vision and succumbed to obsolescence.

My slim never lasted anywhere near that long. Had the laser replaced twice and it died again both times. Got a used fat and put a hard drive in that fucker. Then the motherboard on that failed so I had to find a replacement on ebay. I've never had a piece of hardware fail me as much as the PS2. This must be what 360 owners feel like.

Good Games
RIP 1978 - You know what year

People talk shit about the 360box, but mine is tough as fucking nails. I got one at launch with all the overheating rumors and shit, and I never had to send it to repairs. It's like the little videogame box that could.

only good thing about the slim is it has a much less failure prone DVD tray. Fat is the best model due to ease of hard drive installation.

360's didn't RROD due to overheating, there was actual issues with the hardware that led to failure across all pre-slim models, no revisions were safe until they started over from scratch, so to speak. Poor thermal flow didn't help the system, of course.

Super nintendo
????-????
The little power light shined
then never again

my sega cdx still works though so genesis does what nintendont :^)

SNES and NES systems are terribly fragile and have some awful design that leads to basic mechanical failure. The front loading NES in particular is a bad joke gone too far. The fact anyone insists Nintendo systems had any sense of durability seem to be thinking their barely touched gamecube and the meme gulf war gameboy are representative of all their products.

Truth is you barely played your GC except for 1 or 2 games so it never got used enough to be worn down, and the GB was a fluke.

I do still agree though, they never did build their consoles with quality in mind. Their handhelds on the other hand, are fucking impenetrable.

no, their handhelds are pretty much trash too. Especially once you start getting to the GBC and GBA.

I work with dozens of consoles a week, repairing, maintaining, and refurbishing them. The worst I get for non-nintendo consoles are shitty DVD trays in PS2s, failed lasers in PS2s, stuck genesis model 2 power buttons. The latter of which is an easy fix, and the stuck disc trays? Often a knock or blow of air will correct that. Nintendo systems are built like shit in particular.

Jesus fucking christ don't EVEN remind me of the ps2 trays. We had to find some asshole to fix that shit so many times back when that came out. Got the first harry potter movie stuck, a game, another game, harry potter again, and something else i completely forgot. Of all the fucking console fails i remember, ps2 is definitely it. Thank FUCK for the slim.
Really though, i can't recall a single complaint for any of that except the failing speakers and DS hinges.

I have used my ps2 for i dont know how many hours, and i have not had a single problem with it. Its a fat model.

How even
I eventually sold the fucker just before getting a slim. Kinda regretting it now for nostalgic reasons but oh well.

The fucker still works too. Not a single problem, except guitar hero 2 is fucky. I have to pop out the disk drive and scroll down to the song i want or else the lazer shits itself. really, why did guitar hero 2 not pause loading songs when scrolling?

I've heard most launch 360s are built like tanks, and outside of some units getting a blue screen, they're pretty functional. I think it was around 2006 Microshit started rolling out the models that would red ring.

In truth my ps2 slim spent years and years in my closet. I finally got a copy of 007 to softmod it in 2013, and bought 30 DVDs and burned ISOs on them all.
I should have just bought ps2 games on ebay or something, it really is a fantastic library of games.

The DS brands were my least favorite handhelds in terms of build quality personally. The DS-lites buttons feel mushy, a 3DS I had for 4 years would stop holding onto a charge, they arent GB-tier.

Please friend, this thread is meant to honor the deceased.

I wonder if they used the Wii vitality sensor on him when he died.

But anyways, my OG Xbox died on me. Stopped reading disks at all. Got it for free one new years around 2008 or 9, maybe earlier.

RIP My 60GB PS3 phat

YLOD'd when my family was watching a movie on it.

My only broken console is my PS1. Everything else still works fine, except I did notice that my PS2 didn't want to play PS1 games anymore but whatever I can play them on my PS3 or PC anyway.

My DS-Lite still turns on after all these years. It's the only thing it does, sadly. What with the stuck buttons and good chunk on dead pixels, and all.

Re-flow that shit, nigga.

Rip my melee disc, my sister drilled a hole in it because i formatted her sims data.

Mine died as I was playing A Crack In Time. It lasted me about 7 years.

Top screen broke twice on it somehow. After the second time it happened, I got it replaced with a lite. Still have it in a box somewhere gathering dust.

The only console of mine that's died yet is my Wii, and it was only the disk reader failing so I took all the saves off it and just emulate now, connecting my wiimotes with bluetooth. My fatPS2 is still going strong and I've been using it a lot recently.

You don't need a disk drive to run games off of an SD card and homebrew.

you should mod that xbox.

I still have and use that exact one sans the pokemon logo. Dropped it a few months ago and the hinge is sort of loose but I don't think it will effect it too much so long as I handle it with care.

My old DS Lite is getting rebuilt right now. After I had to get my current one fixed (something inside got jarred loose), I took my old one in. Getting a new top screen, and an all-new casing, but they're going to use the original buttons because they think it'll look better. I'm pretty excited to see it, even if it'll probably just get put in a drawer since my blue one works fine.

RIP DS Lite, some good 7 or 8 years of continuous service until my 3DS supporting my DSTWO flashcart rendered it totally obsolete on all fronts. Now I don't have to kill my thumb playing Mario 64, at least.

I really miss my PS1. I basically grew up with the thing, moreso than the PC and the SNES that I had. Years later it stopped reading discs. Curiously I didn't throw it away but stashed it behind some boxes. When I (by pure chance) found it again, I opened the tray just to throw a last glance at it.

That's when I realized that the laser hadn't died of over-use or old age but that someone carved a 'D' into it with a sharp object. So it wasn't just death, it was fucking murder.

Moreover, I know the fuck who did it but lost contact eons ago. I still crave vengeance.

Ours wouldn't spin discs up properly unless you restarted a million times. Since my brother took all the games to his room like a cunt, I remember having to wait till he went out for the night, then sit there with my ear to the case, desperately hoping to hear the disc rev up on the third rotation. Sometimes i'd sit there doing that until he got back.

I still ended up playing 1000s of hours of Dragon Ball Tenkaichi 3 through sheer determination, so jokes on you, Sony.

What is it with young girls and being vindictive little shits? If you slight them they will go for the things you love, with no regret.

That's how women attack, at and with emotion.

anecdotal evidence isn't evidence.
the launch model 360 had a high fail rate not because the console generated too much heat, but because it wasn't engineered to cool down properly. iirc there are no fans and no heatsink in launch 360's (the heatsink thing was a huge sticking point back then because they used some cheap-ass thermal paste instead).

anyway. 360 is a decent console if you've set up windows media player on your PC as a media server like a good goy. it got the better end of some ports such as bayonetta, GTA4 and RDR but otherwise got worse versions of certain games too (FF13).
whatever
video games were a mistake

Front loading NES was good save the cartridge reader. you can do minor work arounds for it but yeah you're pretty much condemned to getting it replaced.
SNES does have obscure failure problems though.
non phat DS models were good too, though the DS lite was prone to ribbon cable problems, and of course every post 2000 hand held has L/R trigger problems.

What a fucking asshole. How did you know the guy and what possible motive could he have had? Take solace in that you can easily repair it

There are a number of things. 'D' was the first letter of his name. He's always been a a destructive and vindictive asshole, prone to over-reaction (the smallest slight was paid back ten-fold). He was basically a tranny to boot, so there's that too. Additionally he was the only person that had access to my room unsupervised for an extended amount of time.

To be perfectly fair, my deduction isn't perfect, but the clues are there.

makes sense

that fucking image
goes with that comment perfectly, i laughed, i haven't done that in a while than kyou

You're not this dumb, are you?

360 dated 2005, it has two fans on the back

And the other one I've opened dated 2006, there's a heatsink and a plastic funnel like in the old Dell computers to make the airflow from the case fans affect the heatsink better.

the launch 360s were good enough to make microsoft create a update that bricked them on purpose.

nah, a retarded anti-piracy/anti-unlicensed dev chip that would ignore a good read of a legit game and enter a reset loop for ??? reason.
a stupid ass lock-spring mechanism with a small plastic bit that can have the itty bitty bit of plastic that secure it wear away and become useless not to mention with faulty springs
A retarded, insecure series of pins that with just a bit too much force can be rendered useless

The NES front loader design is so incredibly stupid.

My fatty still works fine. Never played any dvds on it though. It outlasted all my other consoles. It's my baby.

Last year My PS2 slim (SPCH-70004) started scratching my discs. You could tell it was the disk mechanism because the scratches were perfectly round. After attempting to fix it myself and failing, I had to put her out to pasture. 11's old for a PS2.

In the end I bought a sealed-new SPCH-90004 PS2, and that thing works like a dream.

why not get a fat and do hdd loading?

Everyone ITT with broken or dying slim lasers should look into SMB play. At the very least, don't throw that shit out when it dies, put it on eBay.

I worked at gamestop years ago and worked with a guy who literally bowled gamecubes down the store and they still worked.

Nah, dude. You can throw a gamecube down the damn stairs, and it will still work. The actual buttons on the thing are trash, though. They'll get stuck if you're not careful. Not sure if the GC laser has problems or not. Mine's still going strong, although it has since been replaced by the Wii in 2015.

DS lite was nice, but the DSi is so much better. Love playing DS games on that thing. You can't play GBA games natively, but a flash cart can solve that problem. Although I can just emulate on my Vita.

I don't know if my SNES fucking works or not. Like, it'll turn on, but I can't get any display to save my life.