IT'S TIME FOR A SEGA SATURN THREAD

IT'S TIME FOR A SEGA SATURN THREAD
have you flashed that AR cart yet? Don't you know, there's a lovely library of Japanese games, shmups, fighting games and fucking panzer dragoon and virtual on waiting for you.

I've recently taken the dive into the Saturn after kicking butt in the Xbox scene, and there's a lot of great games here just waiting to be played. I've started with a childhood favorite, Virtua Cop on a Japanese light gun but quickly found myself playing Cotton 2 and getting sucked into that awesome shmup series.

So, lets talk some Sega Saturn, got any good memories? Ever wanted one but mommy refused after you got your N64? Already got one and are cranking out burnt Verbatim CD-R's on it and fucking things up in Burning Rangers? How's it look on that CRT? You are using a CRT, aren't you? How badly did SoA handle porting over those kick ass Japanese games?

Other urls found in this thread:

sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?30755-Jo-Engine-2D-game-engine-for-the-Sega-Saturn
racketboy.com/retro/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters
mega.nz/#!JER2wQgZ!5eCiBBgSEuEpstbbcOy_qJt_hiYfVfiVxztQkKejp2w
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4wfcbj/mednafen_0939unstable_adds_experimental_sega/
mega.nz/#!rxdklRZT!T6-ZIogg6E0-5xt0uzSXfekg7VsmL0cj22kF2jtXYOw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Anyone has a list of games for it?

Here's a recommended list I stole from a previous thread. Should give you a basic idea.

Nah, i'm using a 720p plasma. It doesn't look half bad.

What about the light gun games?

Still working on trying to put together something a bit better than having to cross check game covers with a separate table like that (I have to wonder if whoever made that originally hadn't just thought of having name plates beneath the covers).

Taking suggestions on what else could go on there. Also, if anyone has a non-faded cover image for Baku Baku that doesn't have a price sticker on it or a fucking chunk cut out of it, I could use it.

When we getting a good DOOM port? or a good FPS in general that stays fucking consistent.

Anyone paying attention to the new game engine for the Saturn, or played with it yet?
sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?30755-Jo-Engine-2D-game-engine-for-the-Sega-Saturn

Anyone tried the Sonic Xtreme demo yet?

Been hearing a lot about the Saturn lately. What's up?

Xbox user got a saturn and now wants to make frequent threads on it.

Other than that, the saturn has been fully cracked and now a back up loading usb based storage device that plugs into the expansion slot is on the horizon. Preciously copy protection could be circumvented by the swap trick which still required a legit disk and some disassembly, and more recently pseudo saturn which ignores copy protection checks were only bypassing system security. So now there's major interest in a system that was previously difficult to get into because of lackluster emulation and expensive games or potentially dangerous tricks that prevented people fron getting into the sizable library.

What's the name of the USB add-on? Heard discussion of it, but not much outside the use of the port.

So how easy is it to crack these days? Like PSP easy or do you need to buy something else to run the exploit?

I believe in you user.

頑張って!!

you need good CD-Rs, I suggest Verbatim CD-Rs, you need the action replay saturn cart. Goes for like $30-35, and a legit saturn game. The swap trick requires a bit of disassembly, and you need to determine your saturn model and how you need to trick it into thinking the disc tray was never opened. This varies a from each model.

You can see how to do the swap trick online, it's a little nerve wrecking, but it's nothing too out there. Assuming you've done either the tape trick or removed the lid (depending on your saturn revision.) you just need to boot the system with the action replay flasher on the spindle, let it boot to the CD player menu. Swap it with a legit game, hit the reset button, listen or look for when the laser cycles to the outside rim of the disc (it's very noticeable) and when you see the access light blink 3 times (it'll be a quick series of blinks) swap back to the action replay flasher. It should boot that disc.

you can learn all about it here. The video covers just about anything anyone knows.

What are the Genesis games that make the best use out of its sound chip? The only games off the top of my head that contend are Sonic 3&K, Gunstar Heroes, or Zero Wing.

Good stuff Holla Forums good stuff. Burning Rangers is the tits, remember that this console can be modded but it requires soldering unless one goes for the Pseudo Saturn method. I personally own a modded one and I've been playing a shit tonne of Bomberman. If only I had atleast 9 friends.

Panorama Cotton, but I feel that shows off more the actual power of the Genesis. However, this may be the definitive example of superior YM2612 power.

I'm also really fond of Michael Jackson's Moonwalker soundtrack, but that's a personal thing. Also this isn't really a Genesis thread - although I welcome the discussion.

Reminder that TOSEC has no Saturn collection

It's not too hard finding games, theisozone, emuparadise both have good collections.

Pretty much the only reason I still have a CRT is for lightgun games (not counting the Wii).

Surprised people haven't mentioned this. Also, found out apparently Virtua Cop 2 exists on the Dreamcast. Looks like shit for some reason. Vid related.

I'd say its a matter of time, now that the Saturn is cracked its just a question of when the USB hits the market for a homebrew scene to pop up. The dude has already shared his findings with emulator coders so its not like he's hiding it.
Does this work with the actual console or should I download an emulator?

Apparently it works with the actual console, from what I've read. If wanted to save a blank CD, boot up an emu.

They are lucky that most image mounting software nowadays is retard proof.

I've got a shit tonne of blank cd-s also own a Dreamcast so its not a problem. Its pretty much just a beta right? You can only run around n shit?

Sure but it would still be nice to have a no intro-set or something like that. Shit even the Sega-CD has one.

Here's a raw scan for Baku Baku don't know if its good enough. You can always find raw scans in The Cover Project, and sometimes unmodified ones in the regular cover section.

heres the highest res i can find for baku baku. Sometimes you just gotta check ebay.

Works well enough for me, thanks.

Putting both of those on the list.

More alpha.

About that video, apparently the guy is emulating the arcade version which could explain the discrepancy.

Do not forget Cotton 2 and Cotton Boomerang.

Thats the one from the Cover Project. I didn't post it because I assumed chart user wanted the original ones kek

What? Are you referring to the model 2? That one looks the best, with the Saturn second and Dreamcast last. Notice that the Dreamcast has different building textures as well as the cars, roads, etc. It looks rushed and without detail unlike the other two.

Oh shit, also

Say what? How does this one play?

Yeah apparently he emulated the Model 2 version

cotton boomerang has a large array of characters you can play as and each has a unique danmaku pattern for their attacks. Similar to Cotton 2, but the changes make it play very interestingly.

Oh, well that isn't surprising, I doubt he owns an actual Model 2 Arcade kek.

Nice, will definitely try it out.

why live?

Are those two saturns taped back to back to her head?

I think it's a hollowed out shell of a CRT combined with the top piece of a Saturn but I might be wrong

ke, thought they were defacing Saturns for a moment there

fug

Well I dunno which better place to ask but do any of you own the US version of Rayman for saturn?
Its literally impossible to find a working dump for this game and even redump does not have cue sheets for it so I can't just fix it.

It's easy to build cue sheets.

welp turns out it has nothing to do with the cue sheet and its a bad dump.
I guess that kind of makes the situation a bit more dire.

I don't get why thats funny? English is not my first language Isn't defacing something vandalizing it? or is it the pun?

Where are you getting your dump from? I've got a US Rayman game and I'm pretty sure I got it from Romulation. It was working last time I checked.

No idea what this game is about, how does it play?

It's a nice 2D fighter about maids fighting each other. Some of them have move sets similar to female characters from other fighting games while others have completely original move sets I think.
Also the story is completely voiced.

It's sequel and arguably better version was only released on the PS1.

Oh and on the PC-88 games before this, the loser was stripped and raped.

Reminder that Lunar 3 in English never ever.

That interests me more but Ill check it out anyway

Why?

What are your thoughts on the best STG of all time?

Pls, does anyone know about this one Sega game I think it might actually have been for the Genesis where it's a sidescrolling shmup/bullet hell and the characters ride fish or something?

I used to play it rented, as a little sperglet back in the day, dunno the name, just the distinct fishy impression.

Keio Flying Squadron? It's a hori shmup where she rides a dragon on Sega CD.

Maybe, Keio on the Saturn is a platformer so it can't be that.

Actually own this bad-boy but haven't had enought time to sit down and give it a go, I've just recently gotten into shmups. I recently purchased a Dreamcast which got me playing shmups, and I immediately bought a Saturn once I heard it was Shmups galore. Been following this list so far, is it any good?

racketboy.com/retro/sega/saturn/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters

Doesn't look like it.
I do recall it had a 2p mode, the characters boy and girl with a blue fish/pink fish, possibly.
Feels like there was a dragon in that head-and-circles body 'pokemon style' as a boss.

I can't remember shit, I think I played it 15 years ago or something… literally a europoor

list looks good

good list, but downtalking cotton's 16-bit showings is not a good idea when panorama exists.

Dolphin Blue for the Atomiswave?

Nope, far too advanced.
OG sonic style art, not much depth to it regarding background and stuff.
Everything fired bubble projectiles? Kid friendly as far as bullet hell style shmup thingies go.

Maybe it was some chinese knockoff of a knockoff of Dolphin Blue, I dunno. Pixel-y chibi chucklefucks on fish blasting bubbles at other fish.

I'm pretty sure it was around some sort of dying-90s dark age of videogames in merrie england 2000 so that could be the case, dusty cartridges rented from back alley game shops where only advanced autists could lurk.

That is a god-damn marvel of engineering right there. Reminds me of the ridiculous draw distances on that Asterix & Obelix game on the GBA

Already had Cotton Boomerang on there under the JP only ones, but I'll put Cotton 2 on there as well

Putting that one on too.

yeah, the SNES mode7 doesn't have shit on the Genesis. The later stages are even more impressive, it's rather interesting seeing how the technical team at Success behind the Cotton games continued to one up themselves and constantly move on to new ideas and mechanics and explore them extremely fulfillingly. Lots of game enthusiasts don't seem to acknowledge the shmup genre and how much can be done with such simple concepts.

Anything by Technosoft, Treasure, also anything composed by Hitoshi Sakimoto or Jesper Kyd. Also, Gleylancer, Rocket Knight Adventures, Mega Turrican, X-Men 2. Games by Compile (Aleste, Puyo 1 & 2, Madou Monogatari) sound pretty good but don't really do anything interesting with the sound chip.

I don't see Fighting Vipers on there nigger. Particularly the Jap version that has the best hidden character in a fighting game.

Also, the original Saturn version of Virtua Fighter 1 is shit. Replace it with the Remix version.

Also, Deep Fear had an English release in Europe.

I was using the one here as a base as far as initial content, so if it wasn't there and isn't here yet, then likely no one's suggested it yet.

Also, I do suppose that if anyone wants to give it some more looking over, whether there was some stuff on the prior one that ought to have not been there (the way with the old PSP one I've seen a LOT of complaints that anyone had wanted to put The 3rd Birthday on there), I'm open to further refinement if some might need to be culled.

Huh, makes me wonder why the old one had it listed as an import then. Anyhow, I'll move it to the Western section, unless there's some reason the JP one is the better one to play.

I've found a lot of the old charts to be incredibly mediocre and poorly thought out. Ultimately lacking a sense of longevity. Kind of why I decided to make the xbox games list. I was really happy when someone said it's the most consistent recommended games list around.

Just ignore that old chart altogether. What you have is a decent base, but it still needs work. Also, put DBZ: The Legend into the import section. The "localized" version is in French and Spanish only, and is reportedly translated very badly as it's based on the shitty French dub (i.e. Saiyans/Saiya-jin are called SUPER WARRIORS).

You can add D and Enemy Zero to the list. By today's standards they're clunky as shit, but they're unique survival horror games courtesy of the late Kenji Eno.

I want to say the English releases of some of the older DBZ games might have done that too, though admittedly I am going off some of them using game titles like "Supersonic Warriors" as opposed to having actually seen what they call them ingame. A part of me wants to see a DBZ game with a Malaysian English joke dub option in addition to a regular English dub; that Malaysian "Tree of Might" dub is hilariously bad.

And yeah, that's why I'm working on refining the list first while I work on trying to find decent cover scans (I've taken to trying to list off new additions and changes for things prior to finalizing them to see how other anons feel about them, but people seem a lot more prone to complain after a v1.0X release has already been done, as opposed to beforehand). For the time being though, using the old one as a base provides at least some content to work with.

I'll add those as well. What's up with the background of the cover for D though, being striped and all?

That's part of why I initially started on reworking some of them, since it seemed like everytime myself or someone else had posted the old halfchan ones back in the day, there was some amount of bitching about them missing various games (in particular it seemed silly the DS one didn't even have Ghost Trick on it given how much Holla Forums adores that game, but whoever had been working on it prior stopped in spring 2009 and didn't return to making it).

I honestly haven't seen whether or not you've done a revision since you initially made it, but I did think it needed some slight tweaking on the layout going off the last time I saw it. Still, it seemed pretty good to me overall (and I can't fault you much if you haven't had a lot of experience with making stuff like that as far as layout goes; some of my older ones I might revamp somewhere down the line since I've learned a bit more through experience).

This is a good thread.

Well yeah, those were going by Funimation's own inaccurate dub or using titles Atari (who were publishing DBZ games in the west during the 2000s) wanted, but that's nothing compared to the various European dubs that were all based on the shitty French dub. Regardless, since they are no English DBZ games on Saturn, they should probably be imports.

And the stripe spines you see on some US Saturn games was probably because Sega of America wanted some uniformity like they had with red stripe Genesis games, blue stripe Sega CD games, yellow stripe 32X games, etc. Of course by the time Saturn came out, Sega of America and the success Tom Kalinske brought with the Genesis were basically being buttfucked by Sega Japan, and as a result they probably steadily dropped the stripes as marketing for the Saturn in the US was a clusterfuck.

Got this glorious thing back in June 2007. The guy I bought it off repairs consoles and had a mod chip installed in it. So I can play all the games!

Hard to believe it's been nearly a decade.

I see. Yeah, the lack of uniformity in how some systems have their cover layout is annoying. Still, I have to wonder if anything's approached the PS3 in terms of how many variants there have been for the headers and spine tags (original black label, original Greatest Hits, second black label, second Greatest Hits, BLUE label; even if you only want original label copies, that's still a good two or three styles to annoy one's autism about).

nice

Its the same dump as the emuparadise version
Doesn't even mount on daemon tools

Are you sure, I just tested the game on my Saturn and Im sure I got it from either of those sites.

Sexy

Just burn that shit to a disc and mount it.

Bump

yeah, in the case where you're using something like mdf/mds, just pirate alcohol 120%. At least you're not like me where you do your saturn game burning on a win98 laptop, I had to find an ancient copy of alcohol 120% and a crack for it.

I enjoyed it more than I'm letting on, I love that kinda shit.

also found this very cheap.

do you like it?

I like Saturn, but i prefer MegaDrive

Saturn is my favorite, she's outgoing and confident. Megadrive has better fashion sense, also Saturn was cheaper and coincides with a recent interest.

Cotton tunes are pretty great.

wish i could get a Saturn. and a good CD/DVD recorder that burns lower than 16x, any good place to start?

It's fucking terrible. There's a fully invincible DP that's safe on block.

Who is she?

old laptops and ebay. You can use any region Saturn, so it may be cheaper to order a Japanese one but you'll also need a legit Japanese game, which of course will be cheaper.

You're the user from the Tube TV thread. Also, how does it feel being a living contradiction?

fucking underages

I feel my sense of humor is misunderstood at times but when people appreciate it they enjoy it very much

Anyway I found a working Darkwater rip from other site. If anyone actually cares I could upload it on Mega

I would appreciate that.

I'm actually from Spain I was just pointing out the Trump hat and juxtaposing it with the TV.

Remember some user went batshit insane in a DC thread due to this ripper. Wonder why he hated him so much

mega.nz/#!JER2wQgZ!5eCiBBgSEuEpstbbcOy_qJt_hiYfVfiVxztQkKejp2w

somehow i feel that will be a bitch to find.

Not really, you can always check craigslist and get something cheap. Before I ever used craigslist I always though it was rape.com but so far I've never been raped I always come armed though and meet somewhere I know

ebay m8. Just get an IBM Thinkpad T42. I run Windows 98 on mine.

hopefully this also works for PS1, mostly because I don't live in murica' and anything sega is a rare find

Just buy a cheap external writer
I bought one for 20$ and it can write discs at 4x and 8x.

I know some people are selling already chipped Saturns over at Assembler games from England and France I believe, might want to check those out, especially since we don't know when the USB loader will be hitting the market. I personally already own a modded Saturn, the USB will be great in terms of extending the Saturn's life-cycle since the laser won't be worn out.

Saturn has the best controller of all time for 2D games.

Prove me wrong.

Nigga please, everyone knows thats easy as cake to prove. Its the you're totally right, that shit is tight

Any good brand? don't think the koreans will give me low speeds to burn cds.

personally i was thinking on getting that pcb made by the guy who is doing GDEMU

the Rhea? That shit is extremely expensive though and judging by the fact that the saturn's been finally cracked, you could wait a year or two till the USB loader hits the market, it should at least in theory be far cheaper since its as easy as plugging it in, no soldering required.

I got one from HP. How low do you want it to go?

a guy in a previous thread was saying that anything around 4x for CDs was good.

is there anything like that for DC?

A USB loader? No. There are a few options though:
Like the Rhea, expensive (over 100 euros). However, you won't be using the Dreamcast laser which like the Saturn laser is prone to failure. Everything is played from an SD card, you have to to solder the GDEMU to the Dreamcast though. Has full compatibility and one can play GDIs instead of CDIs.

A device that uses the DC's serial port to run games. Its a much cheaper alternative ($20-30) however compatibility is ass. Not only that but different versions of Dreamshell have different compatibility meaning a game working on the previous one may not work on the newest one. Likewise, the serial port is extremely slow meaning any cutscene or even songs may sound slow/stutter.

This one requires soldering, essentially turning your Dreamcast into a Frankestein's monster. It also uses Dreamshell so compatibility is subpar.

I've never met someone with a SEGA Saturn. I'm convinced you're all fucking with me. Are you sure you have one? You didn't just dream it?

I recently got mine after really enjoying the Dreamcast, I personally never met anyone with one either since it pretty much bombed in the west meaning people either had PS1s or N64s. Its actually a pretty good console, lots of good arcadey games and some nice gems and exclusives. Definitely worth a try, thankfully I bought mine before it got cracked, you should probably too since the price has been steadily rising over the past few years.

My cousin had one that I had borrowed for about a week when I was a kid. Had a copy of Bug, Virtua Cop & Mr. Bones but otherwise this is what I consider my first proper experience with it. I'm very happy with the Saturn and I'd strongly suggest the system to anyone who loves Sega games and 2D games. It's interesting seeing how people largely preferred the N64 in the west, or the PS1, but the N64 had a significantly fewer number of games compared to the Saturn in the end. About half as many games which explains why the Saturn was such a hit in Japan.

I've never even seen one, and I loved the Genesis. I don't think I even knew it existed until it was dead.

I saw two growing up and didn't even know it.
My cousin and my best friend both had one and I thought they were Sega CDs.

I was about to make a thread. I want to buy a JAP Saturn (because why buy USA when they are the same price).

When is the HDD mod coming? I'm not going to buy this and the games since the games are way too expensive.

hdd mod is a ways off. I'd say at most it'll be 2 years. Currently backup loading from discs is very easy with pseudo saturn, and it is obviously much cheaper than buying the games since all you need is a $25-35 action replay cart and blank discs. This also works on Japanese saturns, you just need to have one legit game from that region so just find a very cheap one and you'll be good to go.

Thanks for the quick answer. I'm not a collector by any means. I just want a physical "le retro console xDDD" for novelty purposes and to play old Japanese games cheaply. I liked the Playstation as a kid so I figure the Saturn would be nice.
I'll probably wait until I have more money though.

Yes, I imagine it'll probably set you back about $100 after everything? Maybe that's pushing it, but it's by no means some absurd cost. I'm a mild collector, but I'm mostly interested in being able to play the variety of games, and usually playing with some friends.

If you are into arcade style games, shmups, fighters, 2D action games and a few early 3D console titles you may find a lot to enjoy. Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers being some of those great 3D games.

Remember to always check Craigslist since its always cheaper there (at least in my experience). Right now in Rochester Michigan you can get a Saturn with controllers for 50$.

not a bad idea, slipped my mind because this is what mine looks like. I'm interested in accessories but if I check ebay…

What is the best Saturn Emulator and why can't I EVER get Die Hard Arcade to not freeze up. That thing used to go through my quarters like an (insert Jew joke here)

Also Panzar dragoon games were awesome.

iirc your only options are ssf and yabuse. You're far better off getting the actual hardware.

Kek, you just have to check regularly. I've got some good hauls from craigslist
Also

Just gotta be willing to drive a bit. Furthest I've gone was a 40 minute drive.

you can try this: reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4wfcbj/mednafen_0939unstable_adds_experimental_sega/

SSF

FOR FUCKS SAKE WHY DOESNT ANYONE KNOW THIS

Yabuse is trash

yes, it is worth checking once in a while. I've noticed however for many Saturn components, it is best to just order them from Japanese people on ebay. I just got my second sega stunner (earlier all black no saturn logo model) and the seller also gave me a cute wheelie card, an enemy from kirby. The gun was cheap, and it's a lot cooler getting a JP gun over an American one, particularly for that Black plastic instead of orange.

I think next what I need is a better TV. I love the Dora one but I really want to get a top quality picture out of this system.

doesn't work. Have the bios and all, whenever i drag and drop the .cue file on the exe nothign happens.

No.

Where's a good place to import jap stuff? Is it considerably cheaper? I don't understand amazon.jp never ordered from it either

I mean its barely 5th gen and the idea behind it was neat but its a terrible console mate.

Make sure you're not doing any of the following

People only use that because there isn't any better alternative now that there is another emulator that has the potential to do better it wouldn't be such a bad idea to give it a go (if only just to give people an idea of how good/bad it is) see
It's very new but it already handles plenty of games including ones that apparently don't work properly in SSF (although the reverse probably is true too for now)

Why bother flashing my AR? I already have a Japanese Saturn with a modchip installed. I can play literally everything

Its a modern, more practical alternative to buying out of production mod chips. Requires no soldering so it can be a bit less intimidating to newbies. Plus you can flash ar carts and use them in any saturn. If yours fails, just pop the cart into a new one.

everything checked still nothing.

Darkwater/selfmade/romsite rip?

i took a look into the stdout.txt it said 'missing ss.cfg' and can't find [path] .sbi file

one should be in the mednafen folder and one should be in the game folder within the mednafen folder that also doesn't exist.

Well I'm lazy and it's probably easier for both of us if I just give you a working install directly.
mega.nz/#!rxdklRZT!T6-ZIogg6E0-5xt0uzSXfekg7VsmL0cj22kF2jtXYOw
And yes it has a working game included, Alt+shift+1 to remap your controls and you're good to go.

thanks user, turns out the missing ss/sbi file is a bios error. I tested already a few bios, rename them and so on, seems there is a lot trash on the internet.

and it werks!

emuparadis is since yesterday damn slow. I guess many people are dl now saturn games.

isn't there any mega link?

If you want a good source for saturn games I'm afraid you're gonna have to torrent.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:80bf06fbb19b0a8b2a02ecc985f6f218410e1e53

(checked)
bump

damn, it doesn't play Albert Odyssey.

huh? Seems like i can only start 'japan' games on mednafen!?

psst, hey kid. Original hardware > emulation

also, I completed Cotton 2. It's a superb game and I'd recommend it to everyone who likes:
-shmups
-cute girls
-mechanics that reward risky play

Make sure your BIOS matches the required name and hashes given in the docs.
Or if you're lazy use the pack linked in
Make sure your disk image isn't crap or grab one from (or isozone since they generally have decent rips)

Does the mednafen Saturn core support netplay?!

already fixed, i just forgot the sega-101 bios

No savestate support so no, and probably won't come from mednafen itself anyways but likely from the libretro port.

you got that shit modded or running Pseudo Saturn?