Nipponese learning thread 金田 Edition

Why aren't you learning Nipponese user? Don't you want to play all those Nipponese only games? Don't you want to play games months, if not years, before they are released in English without memes, forced dubs that don't even cover half of what was originally voiced, the ability to play as a girl removed, unreadable ccents, parts of the game cut off to sell as dlc, translation errors, new bugs and worse?

docs.google.com/document/d/1pKgBm8Aa58mjB1hYhbK-VOPZsRBTXBuPBzw8Xikm2ss/pub?embedded=true
google.com/url?q=https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ynwmcFwy0ccT70cVRp-G97fYlcf-GYZ86T62SvQMDdY/pub?embedded=true&sa=D&ust=1453325614194000&usg=AFQjCNHsfuahFvAqJk5XVfcmGnalXnfPtA

Random Nipponese Only Game of the Thread: Ex Troopers.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!6lAARJYA!MkwrDfHNCsuMz1Q8IVBkuvZsVFbAfjWPuB-1F12y2sY
nin-nin-game.com/en/psvita-used-games/5646-demon-gaze-dlc-used-psvita-en.html
ejje.weblio.jp/
docs.google.com/file/d/0B-umkaImB2TyQWt6NlREcEJ6ZHc/edit
gengo.com/wwwjdic/cgi-data/wwwjdic?1C
amazon.com/Mastering-Japanese-Kanji-Innovative-Characters/dp/0804845786/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470991923&sr=1-2&keywords=mastering kanji
tagaini.net/
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1968135341
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
tamae.2ch.net/mmominor/
tamae.2ch.net/mmosaloon/
echo.2ch.net/mmo/
krsw.2ch.net/netgame/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I realized I could set the languange in FFIV to nip, so I tried it out. Recognized a few kanji.
Kill me, Pete.

Which version?

I don't go to these threads nor do I actively try to learn Japanese, but one of my friends is from Tokyo and moved here when was around 7.
He's taught me bits and pieces of Nip over the years, but I never realised how much until I started using Pixiv a few weeks ago. I can read about half of the site.

I recommend getting a Japanese friend if you want to improve your skill in the language.

do you guys practice your writing?

Write things. Copy down sentences, find question sentences and answer them, translate from English to Japanese.

What game?

Right now I'd like to find Pokemon Colosseum and Custom Robo: Battle Revolution.

Didn't find Pokemon, but I found Custom Robo. I'll reup it on MEGA when it's finished downloading.

どうもありがとう!

I don't make any fucking progress anymore fuck this.

It fucking sucks, I think I forgot half the conjugations I just learned cause I don't have enough time to read on a regular basis, when I find time to read it takes a hour to read 10 sentences cause I have to look up half the words.

Someone post the picture of the user that learned japanese from pokemon. The one with Sora. I know one of you has to have it.

One does not simply learn moon.

so why exactly is 7 pronounced なな? Shouldn't it be しち? Why is it the only one that uses the 訓読み instead of the 音読み?

If you're struggling, just stop adding new material. If you can't read because you have to look up words all the time, just study vocab instead of trying to read.

The best/worst part is the guy who corrected him was just as wrong.

If you have to keep looking up words then you simply aren't ready for practical use. You are expecting too much for less than half a year of study. I didn't even start reading until after like two or three years.

4 is the same way. You can use either なな or しち in some cases, but in most cases you have to use one or the other. しち is used in the month name for July for example.

homophone for death: "死地;" it's basicly the same reason よん is used for 4.

PSP

Didn't know it had multilanguage support like that.

Can you change it midgame or is it locked to your save file?

At any point, apparently. Character names don't seem to change even if you use the default, so you might have to use Namingway if the inconsistency bothers you.

I hope you told them that you refuse to give NISA money.

Buy it on the Japanese PSN.

I would've, but I get review copies from NISA, so I really didn't want to shit talk them when they @ mentioned them in the conversation.

but I want a physical copy

mega.nz/#!6lAARJYA!MkwrDfHNCsuMz1Q8IVBkuvZsVFbAfjWPuB-1F12y2sY

disclaimer: I didn't test it

is there anywhere I can buy a physical copy of the genki textbook without paying a ridiculous price? I refuse to pay $50 for a fucking book.

should have used a twitter account not tied to your work.

nin-nin-game.com/en/psvita-used-games/5646-demon-gaze-dlc-used-psvita-en.html
If you actually buy it from this site I gotta give you a heads up that used games take awhile before they actually ship.

If he's gonna get it used he might as well get the NISA version, since a used purchase isn't going to support anyone, good or bad. That's why I mentioned PSN since it's the only way they'll get a cut.

Just listen to this guy and give up.

-The language of the nipponjin is useless from a practical standpoint.
-You can still watch anime and play games even though the translations aren't perfect.
-There are a shit ton of games that aren't Japonese that you can also play.

But my shitty mangas.

already can read it
but it takes me almost 1 hour to tranlate 4 lines of dialog. any sugestions?

Read more.

Iris is too cute.

黄色い声

You guys got anymore Japanese expressions that make no sense to us baka gaijin?

My first Japanese class with an actual teacher starts tomorrow. Wish me luck, anons.

Which is the definitive variation of the core2k anki deck? There seem to be so many and I only want the one to grind both Kanji and vocab.

Don't listen to this yarou and focus yourself and intent that you can learn Japanese so your subconscious will snap it up.

First time I had an online speaking session I couldn't string together a sentence to save my life and got super frustrated that all the shit I could read/write with ease just wasn't coming out when trying to speak.

After a few more sessions, though I was able to relax a bit more and my brain's slowly catching up to my reading/writing level. Slowly.

So don't worry if you drop spaghetti at first, user. Good luck.

It works. So far the script seems accurate.

The scarf clips with everything (though it does seem to have some basic physics attached to it instead of being attached to movement animations directly). I can see why they removed it.

If you took all the kanji in the Japanese language and put them into a ball the size of the sun, you still wouldn't be able to learn Japanese.

How does extroopers 3ds compare to ps3?

What's the best Japanese dictionary money can afford?

I use jisho.org for 95% of things. Anything that doesn't show up in there I'll literally just put into google to see how other people use that word/phrase.

The latter requires you to have a bit of jap knowledge to start with, though.

The free ones.

said.

I've found ejje.weblio.jp/ useful for phrases and more "slang" terms that Jisho doesn't have. Its sentences tool is also useful for finding out the equivalent of English phrases and great if you're trying to compose something.

Also if you get rikai-chan/rikai-kun for firefox/chrome, then you basically have jisho.org wherever you go. Highlight something and it brings up the definition right there. Super-useful when you know what all the words mean but it doesn't make sense then turns out the whole sentence is an idiom of sorts. Like 泣く子も黙る.

I can't imagine trying to use a physical dictionary.

So, i was browsing my local bookstore and there were a few books about learning moon from Tuttle.
Are they good or pure shit?

I tried it once. It was awful.

What are the best Nipponese language video game websites for learning about upcoming Nipponese video games?

No one?

Ok I'll be honest the only real reason I'm dreading learning this shit is because you need 3000 fucking kanji to be able to read shit.

If I just want to watch anime, can I just learn how to speak this shit and forget about reading it?
I'll learn Hiragana and Katakana, 100 fucking characters right there, but that's all I'm interested in doing.

Does this make me a bad person? Should just stop learning this shit because I don't want to memorize 3000 fucking drawings?

You can learn the radicals that make up kanji so that each one doesn't look like it's own scribble and you actually know the composition of them.
If you just want to speak it and watch anime, feel free to only learn that, but you are only limiting yourself. You won't be able to read any text beyond kana.

バンプ

あげ!
あげです!

Can someone explain what お is doing?

It's the honorific prefix to make words more polite, 御

What said.

Certain words will very often have it, too. Like お箸, お水, おまんこ.

It's weird because the last one you probably wouldn't be saying in polite conversation to begin with. But it is what it is.

I have a vague memory that the お serves as a marker, because 好き functions slightly different than english. But I can't remember where I read that.

In English "like/love" is a verb.

In Japanese it functions as a noun/adjective.

L-lewd (dunno how to write this in JP)

淫乱(いんらん)
助平(すけべ/すけべい)

In that case it'd probably be

When it is used as an prefix, it is meant to be of respect, not necessarily politeness.
For example, in this webm it's added to futon to show the character's love/worship of sleep.
You might notice it in family titles or might see it dropped sometimes. compare onee-san and nee-san.

woops, the webm.

ありがとう, 友人.

Making good progress in サクラ大戦.

Gyakuten Saiban 6 confirmed as best GS game.

I am fucking baffled. How the fuck are they going to localize this?

That's easy like シット

I'm dedicated full time to learning moonrunes now that I want to play all the games that will never ever get a western release due to cucks and shit. The flashcards are more helpful than I thought and I already memorised a few hundred of them. Also fuck kanji that look the similar to other kanji or have a ton of multiple meanings.

頑張れ!

For gerund noun phrases, one would assume that if there were already a noun available, it would be more natural than using the nominalized verb, right?
For example, these would both mean “swimming pool,” but the latter would probably sound more natural.
Is there any meaningful difference between these two types of phrases, or is it like “noun1’s noun2” vs. “noun2 of noun1” in English?

this image makes me think of stefan from death grips

its the hand thing

1st "swimming by means of pool"
2nd "swimming pool"
in nip nouns can directly modify other nouns in order to create another noun. i can't think of any "compound" nouns that take the form of a nominalized verb. another example: space ship 宇宙船 heaven + space + ship

But I do know enough Moon to play most vidya, my copy of Sekaiju no MeiQ 5 comes in today. At the moment, I'm also playing Coven and Labyrinth of Refrain, as well as the Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright series from the beginning again after having just finished 6.

I've been meaning to pick up that series forever, mostly for that opening theme

Yeah, I knew 6 was going to be good when the first villain was Hindu Death Metal Jesus wait until you get to case 4 that's about rakugo and soba noodles, and then imagine them localizing it as Jerry Seinfeld telling spaghetti themed jokes

I'm writing down every single character several times when learning with Anki and Memrise. It takes ages but works extremely well. So far I've written 30 pages, each one containing a little over 400 characters and I'm not even done with JLPT N5 vocabulary yet

So it would be a case about nothing?

Only three more centuries of learning before I can finally not rely on cancerous localisation.

て form isn't nominalized. Verb stems can often, though not always, be used as nouns. 泳ぐ's stem being 泳ぎ.

If you were to see 泳いでプール it would probably be being used to express a sequence of events. For example, 三十分泳いで、プールから上がった。 (Swam 30 minutes then got out of the pool.) It wouldn't mean, "swimming by means of pool," that would be something more like プールで(の)泳ぎ.

水泳プール would certainly be more natural. But beyond that I'm not really sure about any differences for such type phrases.

「お兄ちゃんと恋人同士みたいに歩きたいな。」

Why is she so wet for onii-chan? Holy shit, she's a kid holding a teddy bear.

Because お兄ちゃんはアイルスの恋人だよ!

アイリス*

I know, I caught that myself shortly after posting ;_;

Come on mate, let's read through the skill descriptions in Sekaiju no MeiQ 5 together, I'm trying to plan out a team.

Shichi is onyomi derived from Chinese,
Nana is yamato kotoba (native Japanese word).

Give me one good reason to learn Japanese instead of Chinese.

Japs actually make good games.

Am I right in thinking 高原薬局 means large drugstore?

I will never learn japanese ;_;

What did you think would happen?

You'll be surprised at how many you can easily do.

I don't think so. 高原 is a plateau, which doesn't really make sense in this context, so maybe it's the name of the drugstore?

The only thing I can see is 原 as a prefix means "original; primitive; primary; fundamental; raw"

So maybe large primary drugstore?; primary being the main one to use?

I think it would use 本 in that case, not 原.

Maybe I'm using the wrong kanji for it, but I don't think so.

I would just read that as Takahara Pharmacy.

They really didn't design an easy language.
is there a trick to which reading to use when trying to guess names?

The trick is read a lot and get used to the patterns they use. There is no standard convention for names though, so expect to see weird pronunciations from time to time.

Eh, if you know enough Chinese characters you could probably muddle through most nip games.

we don't have any good reasons
if you want to learn chinese, go for it

【備忘】
アニメ見ない奴らは一生日本語を飲み込めない

Isn't EX Troopers fairly accessible without knowing Nip?

nice double dubs

バンプ~

There is something that I don't quite understand with using verbs as if there were nouns. Do I have to use the dictionary form + 「の」or the verb stem? For example if I want to say "do you like playing video games?":

ビデオゲームを遊ぶのが好きですか。
ビデオゲームを遊びが好きですか。

which of these sentences is correct? Is there even any difference between them? The 「の」 particle in general is a little confusing because it can be used for so many things.

Are there any fun educational games for learning moon? Using Anki hurts my head so much after a flash card session I can't even read the word Anki without hearing and pronouncing it as Aniki.

How long are your Anki sessions? I wouldn't recommend more than an hour a day, otherwise you risk burning out.

As for games, just about any JRPG or VN will do. Preferably something you have already played before to start with, so you don't get stuck.

Do you guys study vocab mainly on the desktop version of Anki or the mobile app?

The top one is correct, but the bottom one is just fine with the の being implied. I think. You'd most likely say something like
ゲームがすき?
ゲームやるか?
Maybe.

It's simply the name Takahara in this case.

Nope. Some names spelled with the same kanji can be read 20 different ways too. It's a real guessing game if you don't know the name beforehand and there is no furigana given.

Mainland Chinese are filthy subhuman dogeaters who shit and pee on trains and in the streets, and they don't make good vidya (or anything for that matter). So fuck learning Mandarin. Also the language is ugly as shit, I might add.

The first one. The bottom one is incorrect.

Yeah, I don't see any good reason to learn Chinese, unless you plan to use it in business or whatever. IMO the real worth of a language is in the culture you can unlock with it, and Chinese culture isn't worth shit.

Where do you think you are?

What's an example of a Japanese game where content was cut and sold separately to the west? Does it happen due to a third party's licensing?

Fantasy Life cut out the bonus content of the rerelease to sell as DLC even though it is otherwise based on the rereleased version (the American script is also apparently horrible with characterization removed for no reason. The European one is different and I'm told passable).

They didn't even cut it out. It's still on the cart, they just lock it behind a paywall.

No but every anime musou game has their soundtrack removed especially Gundam because Sony Japan hates Gaijins to the extent they wouldn't allow it to be released in the West which is why the soundtrack is so generic

Anyone else been playing Ys VIII?

Despicable. As expected from western Nintendo.

A bit unrelated, but I remember this webm from a previous thread few months ago and really wanted to watch it again but couldn't find it.
Thanks, user!

I made some dank OC for you guys.

Hello Mombot!

I'm just learning characters at this point (know like 1500), not grammar or speaking or anything so could basically go in either direction. Chinese just feels like it'll be more useful in the future, and the grammar seems less byzantine than Japanese. I will concede it sounds like dogshit from 90% of speakers though.

I actually visited Taiwan and Japan just last month, in part to try and get an idea of which language I should commit to, but it's hard to decide. Japanese has much more material I'm interested in, sounds nicer, but has less real world application.

I wish I still had the screencap of the guy who learned Chinese to give himself a marketable edge in job hunting, only to find out that doing business with the Chinese is hell on earth. They're shady dirtbags, and if you work in an industry where you might do business with them, you can expect to be ripped off constantly. And good luck getting any other job once people find out you can speak the language, they won't let you do anything else. Someone else might have it, it's a fascinating/infuriating read.

Don't do it. Learn Japanese.

It's probably one of these. Seriously don't learn Chinese, don't interact with the Chinese, don't think about the Chinese, don't visit China except Taiwan, I hear it's pretty nice and not populated by bug people like the mainland, and your life will be better in every way.

Yeah, I heard from Taiwanese and Hong Kongers that mainlanders can be pretty uncouth, like they never queue or anything. Still, I met a lot of mainlanders on holiday, at hostels, and they were very nice.

I'm an artist professionally, not weebshit or anything, oil paintings. So I'm not quite sure which language would be most beneficial for that, but Tokyo does have an absolutely huge art gallery scene, especially around Ginza. Taiwan has squat, I imagine Beijing, Shanghai etc are quite different though.

Hell of a screencap, though I hear similar things on /int/ about almost every people.

The Chinese here in the Philippines act more like kikes than niggers, down to the money-grabbing and crazy concentrated power.

That said, the Chinese that do breed with Filipinos end up with cute girls for children.

The Chinese you will meet at hostels are not in any way representative of the normal mainlander. You should read some westerner living in China support groups.

The Chinese pull the strings in a lot of SEA, The Philippines, Thailand etc..

The richest "Filipino" family is the Sy family, and there are at least 50 "Filipino" Chinese families in the top 100, do you not think I know that? Our president is a fucking commie, do you think I do not know that? Our army (((accidentally))) let go of strategic islands and sand barges in the West Philippine Sea, do you not think I know that?

I respect Japan because they at least were transparent in creating their own empire like the British and French, but the Chinese? Their empire-building is closer to USA-Israel than it is to Austria-Hungary.

sage for off-topic

Bought it, haven't played it yet because I'm trying to play the series in order and haven't figured out PC-88 emulation yet to play Wanderers.

Back home in Hawaii there was an image of Chinese as very money-focused, to the point where I still think of Jews as "White Chinese"

So I can only use the verb stem as a target (with a 「に」 particle) but if I want to use it as the topic of a sentence or anything else I would have to use the 「の」 particle?

Greedy and heartless is the stereotype of chinese. It's also quite true.

Can't really say for sure, all the Chinese I knew were hapa, so yeah.

Filthy foreigner here wanting to learn Nihonggo for the first time. Where do I need to start as in nursery level Nihonggo? Any materials you can give me?

If I had trouble with high school Spanish, what are the chances that Japanese will be any bit easier? Also, how likely is it that Japanese will still be a relevant langauge as far as entertainment goes at least 10-20 years from now?

Ĉu esperanto estas ankaŭ permesita?

I nearly failed my high school Spanish and I’ve been getting along with Japanese just fine; it’s just down to whether you want to learn and you pace yourself appropriately (something you don’t have control over in a classroom).

"Ohio!" means "Hello, Amelican friend!"

Hebreaj lingvoj apartenas al la bakujo.

Ĉu vi povas ne

School really isn't a good indicator for how good you are at learning languages. I was shit in french class because it was a shitty language that didn't interest me, so I performed bad at it, at the same time I had straight As in english class because it was a language that actually had practical use for me.

If you really want to learn japanese out of your own will then you can do it, it just takes patience and commitment

Funny that, I remember someone referring to the Chinese as "Yellow Jews"

Genki. Yan-san.

I do not like the anime except hentai . You can go please?

Learned all of the essential grammar over the last week.
Now I'm just practicing making sentences so I can get them ingrained in memory, along with as many verbs, nouns and adjectives as I can memorize.
I downloaded a rom for Platinum onto my R4, so I've also been playing that to practice my reading as it doesn't use much kanji.

Also started learning kanji using this book a friend of mine who works in Japan recommended to me:
docs.google.com/file/d/0B-umkaImB2TyQWt6NlREcEJ6ZHc/edit

バンプ~

don't forget your reps みんな

It doesn't use any kanji, which makes it horrible.

I thought it was just the gameboy games that didn't use kanji, because of the limited screen resolution.

They only added a kanji mode starting in fifth gen.

Don't invest in dead languages. It has no future.

You should probably learn your own language first if you think Japanese is a "dead" language.

That books seems kinda nice.

Does it go anywhere?

Does it mean anything that I can understand her dialogue without having ever formally studied Japanese beyond learning kana? How well do people normally learn a language without studying it and without being forced to interact in it? I've often seen people claim that if you just watch/listen to things in Japanese you'll never be able to learn anything beyond the most rudimentary things like greetings and single words.

I also once translated part of an audio drama and someone else confirmed that it was accurate.

Also I'd love to play all the Sakura Wars games but I don't know when I'll stop being lazy and actually study shit.

That's lame. I guess they really are aimed at young children.

それはヒ・ミ・ツ

The only thing you will learn from trying to learn this language how unlearnable it is.

If cucks didn't have to ruin everything, the irony is these games are completely made by the non-whites they love to kowtow to so much. Bunch of cunts.

「ミンナニナイショダヨ」か?

How do I stop procrastinating?

You can do this?

Crammed it like crazy.
I'm unemployed right now so I was able to pull all-nighters to cram as much as I could.
I used namasensei at first but then got my friend to refine it and fill me in on the rest.
She offered to teach me ages ago, but I never took her up on it til' now when I decided I'd bite the pillow and go all in.

Besides, on top of that I already knew all my kana and some vocab from Jap class in highschool ages ago, but my teacher there was this Chinese old lady who sucked at explaining grammar and never gave us the reason why particles were used etc.

She wants the チンチン

Nah.
She's cute, but she's one of those "I've got clinical depression and anxiety so I'll tell everyone about it" types.
It's seriously the only thing she talks about other than Japanese.
Nice tits though.

Also she plays ASSFAGGOTS and Overwatch so that's another strike out.

has anyone else in here started to like studying more than actually playing vidya
idk why but lately I really enjoy reading and practicing nipponese, and rarely play games anymore
do I have autism?

I haven't played anything in almost a week.
I booted up Jet Set Radio just now and quit out after 15 minutes to go back to studying.

Well I like studying, but playing games is a part of that.

Read VNs and achieve a happy medium of the two

Entirely depends on my mood, when I feel depressed i play videogames to turn my mind off.
When I feel good I tend to prefer learning, but that doesn't really go beyond doing my 2 hours of reps each day since I have very little free time

POST YOUR STUDY ROUTINE.

Grammar and sentence order stumps me to this fucking day. I have no idea how to correct this other than just consuming more material.

Basically depends what you mean by "learn." You can probably read all these and understand them in that time, but committing them to memory and making them part of your lexicon the way your English vocabulary is will likely take some time and repetition.

To be sure, there aren't many - 46 (modern) characters for each, compared to 26 letters each with capital and lower case for just shy of twice as many Kana characters as there are English letters. These expand slightly with the alternates using tenten or maru, but you only need to learn a new pronunciation instead of a whole new symbol, and with them you have a writing system where you can express any Japanese word phonetically without any problems or misunderstandings insofar as pronunciation is concerned. So again, a once through pass to learn each Kana is easily doable in a day, but as for memorizing them to the point of not needing to double check, well, that will probably take a bit longer. Still not too bad though, and will easily be one of the first things you master.

Going from 0 kanji? Almost certainly, considering some are as simple as 一, and many of those are going to be the basic starter ones you'll see a lot and thus memorize quickly.

This is the hardest one. What vocabulary? Basic question words like who/what/etc. and essential particles of course, but beyond that what do they mean by "the vocabulary?"

Anyway, putting aside the vagueness of the vocabulary point, this is probably true if you're extremely dedicated and naturally good at this sort of thing and/or have practice learning languages, but even if you can't do it that fast, it certainly can be done at a reasonable pace.

Some people, I swear.

If it's fun that's good, but for me playing the games is how I git gud at the Moons.

This website sucks so much.

I use gengo.com/wwwjdic/cgi-data/wwwjdic?1C or ejje.weblio.jp/ myself.

The moon will crash into the earth before you successfully learn its language.

I don't really have a routine

if there's any topics that I can't wrap my head around I just find videos about it or ask around the internet

shit, really? any recommendations to start off with? never played one

いつか、届く、あの空に。
きっと、澄みわたる朝色よりも、
信天翁航海録
装甲悪鬼村正
霞外籠逗留記
俺たちに翼はない
神咒神威神楽
相州戦神館學園 八命陣
天ツ風 ~傀儡陣風帖~

What's with all the two-kana-pair adjective words like さらさら or もちもち?
How fucking many of these do they have? I swear there's more of these than Kanji.

okay let me just put a want ad in craigs list

バンプ~

I shouldn't be using Tae Kim to learn kanji should I?

I learned the kana a month or so ago but I got lazy afterwards because I couldn't be bothered with grammar and vocab, it didn't really feel like I was making any progress. My main issue is motivation/discipline to practice every day, and I think it's the same for a lot of people.

Japan is very heavy on these kind of words. They're usually onomatopoeic in nature.

e.g.. fuwafuwa - ふわふわ (soft)
kirakira - きらきら (shining)

What video games could you play to help you? I hear pokémon is good but since there's no audio and the names usually aren't real words it might not be that great

Must be something wrong on your end, I can look up a word on jisho in literally 2 seconds.

Playing Japanese games and reading manga is my studying, so nope.

Pokemon would be a good way to practice hiragana and katakana. But once you've mastered that, you want to get into the Kanji as soon as possible or else you'll never make progress.

Dunno if you consider them video games, but VNs coupled with AGTH or other text hooking tool are pretty useful.
The tool rips the text in JP from the memory of the executable and you get it in a string - you can autotranslate it with Atlas or do a lookup in several services online to translate and read.

It's not that you shouldn't, it's just that there are other methods/resources that more focused for learning vocabulary.

I just beat Ys VIII. What a game.

You been playing anything while practicing, Holla Forums?

I already have a great understanding of the spoken language and kana, and have around 45 kanji memorized. I figured trying to translate a visual novel or raw manga would be a great workout in addition to Anki and a daily Nikki.

This idea any good?

Literally thousands upon thousands, and the vast majority aren't even found in dictionaries lol.

Playing house or doctor with a loli imouto who is seriously wet for onii-chan? Whoa there!

Right. The verb stem is functionally a noun.
を generally requires a transitive verb, with the exception of certain motion verbs, in which case it means something like "through".

洞窟を通り抜ける =
pass through a cave

Mandarin isn't actually the main language of Taiwan though. Taiwanese Hokkien is pretty much its own beast, from what I understand.

Here's an interesting exception to that rule, at least in Japanese.
和姦 = consensual sex

The fun doesn't end there…

Oh man. The past month or so I started translating doujins for fun and practice.

The amount of obscure as fuck onomatopoeia that I have to just throw into google and hope I can find the meaning based on the context it's used in elsewhere.

I'll make this brief since my previous comment was lost.

Anybody interested in translating manga or using that Japanese knowledge to work on something other than your own understanding? To get things done as they say. My aim is to work on dropped or interesting manga but I'm not quite there yet. I'm working on a manga or comic that is in a different language I know a little better but might need help to correct some things since I don't use it that often to be 100% sure of the translation. Either on a new or one of the dead boards, I'll create a compilation of the currently untranslated stuff out there and with the help of other people, get them completed.

I can clean most images that don't require major redraws. I'd prefer to finish things that are close to completion, video game related or something that looks interesting from the few words that I can parse out. I'd be willing to help out in typesetting other manga so long as raws are available and translations are provided. Also, anyone willing to do a task of transcribing? Basically, it's typing out the text that needs translating into a document file to make translating easier. I could do it myself but it's a long process and it would get in the way of translating and cleaning pages if it's just me doing it alone.

Last thing is, is there a site that has all the hiragana, katakana and kanji that isn't in an image format? I want to save those characters to a document for easy use.

Here's a list of some of the things I'm interested in working on. I'll add more to that compilation list as I look further at what's available and what has been dropped that people forgot about:
Metsuko ni Yoroshiku, Meitantei Marnie, Satanister, Kine-san no 1-ri de Cinema, Warau Ishi, Shinobi Gataki (TOBITA Nikiichi), Daidai wa- Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru, Nioh: Konjiki no Samurai, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, Lollipop Chainsaw, Devil Summoner- Kuzunoha Raidou Tai Kodoku no Marebito, Shin Digital Devil Story III- Nocturne- 4koma Megami Tensei Nocturne

Any extra work you do is a good thing. If you enjoy translating/reading, you'll pick up a ton of new words/grammar easily.

5th day of doing anki decks. Going horribly. How are your reviews going, anons?

I love these type of kanji combinations.

The kanji/radical meanings are easy for me, but I can't seem to make any meaningful progress in the vocabulary.

Lower the amount of new cards you're doing if it's intolerable. It's better to start with a lower number and slowly raise it as you see fit than to burn yourself out by trying to take on too much material too soon. I did 143 cards in 22 minutes today.

Just finished my reps for the day.

Yes, I highly recommend limiting your Anki reps to less than an hour a day; maybe even half of that when first starting out, since once the mature cards start coming in your review time is going to practically double.

You can always increase your new cards later once you start doing mature cards and it still seems too easy, but if you start high and get overwhelmed you may lose all motivation.

バンプ~

your family name is Kim you dirty zainichi faggot

Anyone playing Nipponese games in their original language and comparing them to the English release?

It's pronounced "Canada". Kate is Canadian.

Only when people post screencaps of the English releases like with Monster Hunter Cross vs. Generations. There's no real point in playing games in English at this point.

I meant games you played previously in English or have an English script dump

Ah, fair enough. Been too long since I played anything in English, so I just compare when people post things here really.

Hey yall i've been learning hiragana and katakana for a couple weeks now and i'm hoping to jump into Kanji in the coming weeks.

Would this be a good book?

Hey yall, I was wondering if this is a good book. I've been studying hiragana and katakana for a few weeks now and eventually i'd like to move onto the fuckload of 2000+ kanji.

amazon.com/Mastering-Japanese-Kanji-Innovative-Characters/dp/0804845786/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1470991923&sr=1-2&keywords=mastering kanji

The description says that book only has 200 kanji. I recommend Remembering the Kanji by Heisig instead, which has a full 2000 in the first volume.

Eh, it's probably just a starter book then. I assume better things can be found in the OPs links?

Playing the Ace Attorney games in order (up to game 3) and Breath of Fire 4 at the moment.

Actually owning something in Japanese gives me the drive to learn, even if I sadly will likely never get to visit Grorious Nippon.

well there was this thai chick in school and she taught me about traps

This is a good point, when I started seriously importing while living in the States it really pushed me even further. And you never know, they're pretty hard up for English teachers here right now due to government pressure to make the country Olympics friendly for 2020

bump11

I'm just about to start my 3rd semester of classes at my community college (I've been taking nip classes since the school actually has a decent Japanese program, and the classes all work for something on my transfer assignment)

How far are the other folks that started learning over a year ago?

nec17

Reading is what I'm best at, since it's what I do most often. Still a fair amount of unknown vocabulary depending on what I'm reading, but a lot of the time I can infer meaning from the context or kanji to keep a steady reading pace. Still a fair bit slower than English reading speed, but I think I've noticed some improvement lately. My listening is not bad but not great.

My production skills are fairly bad as I rarely do any writing and never do any talking. Been thinking about maybe creating an account at lang-8 one of these days to get some much needed practice.

if I already know a couple thousand kanji from chinese (at least the meaning) id assume that'd help me with learning Japanese right?

Some characters are written differently in Chinese and Japanese, and some are exclusive to either Chinese or Japanese. It might help you, or it might just confuse you.

Some of my students who have to work with the Chinese but don't speak the language resort to writing kanji with them to communicate, so it probably helps

頑張れ!

I have trouble to install Tagaini Jisho on Linux Mint (which I'm fairly new at this). I've installed the deb file but I get a critical error when I try to launch it.

Any tips?

also for those who are interested
tagaini.net/
it also works on Windows

Why not just use jisho.org?

Tagaini Jisho is a offline dictionary, which I value a lot

Does the error provide any information? Have you searched for mention of similar issues online?

good evening boys
what are you

give up user-desu

Replaying Fantasy Life Link, which is probably good for beginners since it has furigana for the kanji.

Give up on what? I'm already playing games in Japanese just fine.

I'll finally be able to watch my cute animus without subs.

Mobile. I can do it in bed and zoom in easily on the example screenshots I include with the answer card.

I add new vocab with the desktop version, though.

I'm playing Pokemon White, and the game gave me the option between kana or kanji before the opening dialogue. I don't know about the other games.

Black/White, Black/White 2, and X/Y are the only ones with that option (yes, apparently ORAS doesn't have it because Gamefreak couldn't be assed).

Why they don't just use furigana and be done with it like all the other 3DS games is beyond me.

(Incidentally, a few other remakes have similar options. I know the GBA FF ports have it)

Eventually you'll have to join the adults in the real world and give up such a childish hobby, my poor misguided brothers.
t. Quentin

Can you do x4a filtering on that game to make it look crisp or nah?

You're gonna burn out.

I don't even use the easy option on Anki. I feel like it delays the cards for too long.

I'm starting to get to the point where I don't even need to look at jisho for games and manga unless it's an uncommon word. Feels pretty good.

Just curious, how do YOU guys look up kanji that you don't know how to read? Assuming that you can't just copy and paste it into a translator site, of course. I used to do it by radicals but then I found a much faster way and I haven't gone back.

Maybe because they don't make Japanese-language games for foreigners? You may as well ask why American releases don't have pronunciation guides for uncommon English words.

Like PiNata?

There's no point to saving the same script twice when the 3DS supports furigana on an OS level. Every other game for kids (and then some. Why SMT4 has it is beyond me) on the 3DS has it

I know when to relax on the new cards for a bit, I've been learning for over a year now.

I just use the radical search or drawing tool on jisho.org.

They were "new" words that I had already memorized while playing games and then looking them up, or I had learned in one of my other Anki decks.

Anons this may be relelvant

I uploaded Influent to the share thread including the japanese part

after you get like 20 words you can do a time attack to see how fast you can get 10 words right

Radical search in JWPce.

games like these are always bound to be massive failures
why are people insistent on making these gimmicky learning games to avoid actual study?

oh that's why

I understand their use for something like kanji that can get tedious, but stuff like that one hiragana rpg are ridiculous. You can pump out a few sheets of hiragana and have them memorized in maybe 2 or 3 hours, its that last thing you'd ever need a game for.

the thing is that learning kanji isn't necessarily super difficult, it just takes a really long time
there aren't any shortcuts in learning the language, just fucking study

I've been reading Tae Kim's grammar guide and I noticed something that I can't make sense of. Look at these two sentences that were used in the guide:

1. 先週に図書館に行った。
2. 昨日何を食べたか忘れた。

In the first one 先週 has a に particle added to it but in the second sentence there is no に behind 昨日 even though both words have pretty much the same function in their respective sentence or is there any difference that I'm missing?

Particles will sometimes get dropped when their meanings are obvious.

Is there something I'm missing about how this is supposed to work? I remember how some words sound, but couldn't say I know any new Kanji as a direct result of this.

Do you write everything down? Because I do and it helps immensely, it just takes a lot of time.

So it's just like leaving out the を when writing a する-verb? Alright. The particles are a little hard to get used to since it's so different from German and English so when they're missing in some sentences it becomes even more confusing but I guess I shouldn't worry too much about them.

I haven't been, no. When starting out, I wrote down most of the kana, which was effective, but I found it vastly more effective to learn simple mnemonics for them. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that's as viable of a method for kanji. I was hoping it could be avoided, since like you said, it takes a shitton of time, and I've got so many other things on my plate. But if writing them is what gets me through it at all, at whatever speed, then I guess I'll have to.

You should give it a try. Writing makes it a lot easier for me to figure out the components of the characters which will become really important when learning some of the more complicated ones. Look at these two characters for example: 墓 and 暮. If you're not familiar with the radicals it's quite difficult to memorize them both but if you do know them (in this case it's 土 earth and 日 sun) it's not that hard at all. For that reason I also recommend learning the radicals seperately, it makes a huge difference when learning kanji (for me at least) and there are not that many of them. Use a deck like this one ankiweb.net/shared/info/1968135341
Personally, I occasionally use a brush pen for writing to make it a bit more enjoyable. I'm still really bad at using it so the characters end up looking like shit but it's a nice change of pace. If writing actually helps you and you want to keep doing it, try everything you can to make it as fun as possible to stay motivated.

There are certain time words that aren't used when using に in this way; marking the time something takes place. It's not ellipses just not used for certain words.

Here's a screencap from Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar, which I highly recommend for looking up bits of grammar you're having trouble understanding.

I agree with Tae Kim that it's more practical to jump directly into vocabulary. I take vocabulary from reading and look it up on jisho. That way, I see the kanji, their meanings, and how they are pronounced in real words. Over time, I pretty much know what any random kanji means and how it's pronounced because the 80/20 rule applies. This way, I can somewhat confidently guess the meaning of new vocabulary words.

For example, 最新 (さいしん) "latest", 最近 (さいきん) "most recent", and 最終 (さいしゅう) "final" are common words in web browsing. From this, I picked up that 最 is pretty much always "さい" at the beginning of a word. It means something like "most" or "extreme" by itself.

It's still important to study how to write kanji, though.

How much merit is there to having English->Japanese, and Japanese->English cards for the same words/phrases in the one vocab deck?

Is it really worth doubling my reviews? If not, what's the better direction for the cards to go?

I don't like English>Japanese format because of synonyms. For example, 死、死ぬ、死亡、死去、死没、永逝、長逝、永眠、往生、逝去、他界、物故 and more. All of them can be translated as words like death, to die, dying, mortality, stuff like that. But which one are you supposed to recall when all the English side of the card says is 'death'. Would make doing reviews take too long as I try to recall every suitable word.

Japanese>English still has the problem of not explaining the differences between these synonyms, unless your cards do explain that, but you can always study that separate from Anki or just learn the differences over time through seeing the context of their use. It doesn't matter so much if you pick the optimal English equivalent as long as you generally understand the Japanese word.

This sounds good. I'll definitely try this as well.

Really, my ideal way of learning is by drawing associations. For instance, 行 and pic related.

Synonyms shit me up the wall with memrise. With my own courses I've added a synonyms column so if I type the "wrong" one in it'll tell me that's the synonym and it wants another one.

fuck that shit

i'll just make them believe i have baka gaijin syndrome.

Never heard of that prior to now. This is fascinating.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle

fuck you anons, stop learning Japanese

but it's fun

You can't stop me, bitch.

バンプ~
let's make it to 300 again guys

You can't stop me from playing video games no matter how hard you try Reddit

When a new kanji appears in anki, do you hit again or hard?

I hit "again". I've only started maybe a week and a half ago but whenever I fail to recognize a Kanji I press again.

Again until I can remember it.

Any suggestions for the next thread's game?

100% orange juice added Japanese language choice last update, changes everything except some menu text.
but you can't chat in jap, only english text i think.

Does anyone have some pdf genki books ?

Jesus Christ I knew it was bad but what the hell m8

Check the share thread's vola in a few minutes.

I just quit my job to become a full time Japanese learner.
My dream is to live and work in Japan soon.
Wish me luck guys, if I won't make it I'll probably end myself.

It's definitely possible user, go for it! Are you a native English speaker from a native English speaking country and do you have a college degree? It's super fucking easy to get a job talking English at people for 8 hours a day if you do.

Unfortunately that's not the case.

I'll make it anyway.

Damn straight you will, just thought I'd give you a fast track answer if you could use it. 頑張れ~

That's the saddest thing I've read all day :(

日本鬼子和美帝国主义者出去,现在这个论坛的学科是学习中文

チャンコロ出ていけ

Japan does similar things with the hospitals. If an ambulance takes you to a hospital, the hospital might refuse to treat you and give some poor excuse why. They will ship you around to different hospitals until someone takes you. If the foreigner can't pay it comes out of the departments funds.

Let's celebrate the 300th post with the best image from Genki.

you had one job

警察に呼ぶ。
構わない。

Only if you can't pay or don't have an insurance I guess?

Am glad to see how many people learning but I also see a lot on westernerbbs that they go to 2channel and such a lot after learning. Despite being here all my life I cannot make sense of it even as codemonkey owns the site. Like what is the most popular MMO boards and there is so multiple seems like waste for example tamae.2ch.net/mmominor/ or tamae.2ch.net/mmosaloon/ or echo.2ch.net/mmo/ even this krsw.2ch.net/netgame/

It's Nipponese only games or games fucked over by "localization", not games with Nipponese languages

Last minute バンプ to 300!