The extinction by 2030 meme

We pretty much know that climate change will be a shit, but theres this alarmism floating around. It's the kind of think that makes me want to embrace nihilism. There are also those critical of guys like Guy Mcpherson.

Other urls found in this thread:

theanarchistlibrary.org/library/anonymous-desert
theanarchistlibrary.org/library/alejandro-de-acosta-green-nihilism-or-cosmic-pessimism
guymcpherson.com/climate-chaos/
planet3.org/2014/03/13/mcphersons-evidence-that-doom-doom-doom/
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Guy_McPherson
news.nationalgeographic.com/energy/2015/12/151215-as-sea-levels-rise-are-coastal-nuclear-plants-ready/
youtube.com/watch?v=gUzuj4-s600
youtube.com/watch?v=6M73SFtZxy0
youtube.com/watch?v=sI1C9DyIi_8
youtube.com/watch?v=p1QRnErqV3U
youtube.com/watch?v=HtHlsUDVVy0
skepticalscience.com/Climate-Change-The-40-Year-Delay-Between-Cause-and-Effect.html
theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/25/rising-acid-levels-seas-endanger-marine-poertner
cultureunplugged.com/documentary/watch-online/play/7350/Call-of-Life--Facing-the-Mass-Extinction
scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/
filmsforaction.org/articles/what-humans-are-really-doing-to-our-planet-in-19-jawdropping-images/
theguardian.com/environment/2016/oct/27/world-on-track-to-lose-two-thirds-of-wild-animals-by-2020-major-report-warns?CMP=share_btn_tw
8ch.net/leftypol/res/1023395.html#q1023417
aeon.co/essays/how-the-soviets-invented-the-internet-and-why-it-didn-t-work
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't think anyone believes we will be extinct by 2030, but we will definitely be a lot closer than today. If the mass famines of the 2030s and 2040s don't drive us to nuclear fueled extinction general ecosystem collapse will finish us off by 2100.

Contemporary Anarcho-Nihilism actually has a history within the green anarchist scene. Its origin is from the book Desert and the Zine Black Seed wich is kidna Green pessimistic and mix some queer theory (Queer theory compared to normal LGBT studies is Nihilistic as fuck) and insurecctionary anarchism and tada you got anarcho-nihilism.

theanarchistlibrary.org/library/anonymous-desert
theanarchistlibrary.org/library/alejandro-de-acosta-green-nihilism-or-cosmic-pessimism

Anyway who is this Guy Mcpherson fellow?

First it was 2000, then it was 2001, then it was 2012, then 2030…

When will millennialist millennials learn- wait, did I say millennialist millennials? But of course! It all makes sense now.

Whoever said extinct by 2030 doesn't know what they're talking about

I'm guessing this assumes that things will be the same, like the mode of production I'm guessing?

Guy's monster climate change essay: guymcpherson.com/climate-chaos/

There have been critics, though:

planet3.org/2014/03/13/mcphersons-evidence-that-doom-doom-doom/

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Guy_McPherson

There's other links as well, from a previous thread:

The ticking time bomb of coastal nuclear power plants: news.nationalgeographic.com/energy/2015/12/151215-as-sea-levels-rise-are-coastal-nuclear-plants-ready/
Human extinction as soon as 2030 featuring Dahr Jamail and Guy McPherson: youtube.com/watch?v=gUzuj4-s600

Seven billion of us with Paul Ehrlich: youtube.com/watch?v=6M73SFtZxy0

Arithmetic, Population and Energy with Albert Bartlett: youtube.com/watch?v=sI1C9DyIi_8

And here's bit of ol'Noam for good measure: youtube.com/watch?v=p1QRnErqV3U

Peter Ward Our Future In a World Without Ice Caps (potential for anoxic event): youtube.com/watch?v=HtHlsUDVVy0

Climate Change: The 40 Year Delay Between Cause and Effect: skepticalscience.com/Climate-Change-The-40-Year-Delay-Between-Cause-and-Effect.html

Current speed of ocean acidification is at least ten times faster than during any previous period in history: theguardian.com/environment/2013/aug/25/rising-acid-levels-seas-endanger-marine-poertner

Call of Life: Facing the Mass Extinction (another great documentary): cultureunplugged.com/documentary/watch-online/play/7350/Call-of-Life--Facing-the-Mass-Extinction

Only 60 Years of Farming Left If Soil Degradation Continues: scientificamerican.com/article/only-60-years-of-farming-left-if-soil-degradation-continues/

Nobody thinks extinction by 2030 seriously. Are things going to be getting worse? Definitely. Much much much.
Capitalism is already in massive crisis of low profitability.
The question is, what makes the biggest waves first?
Automation unemployment
Climate change induced desertification caused famine
Climate change induced extreme weather
Overpopulation induced famine
Shortages of rarer metals
Shortage of phosphorous needed for fertilizer
Ocean acidification and over fishing means shortage of fish

But don't worry the free market will fix it

I think we will see a period of mass extinctions by the rapid change in most climates by global warming. Alot of habitats will be hit and alot of animals and plant life have to rapidly addapt wich isnt easy. Anyhow the north will be more habitable (like the north) but we will see a bigger expantion of the deserts around the equator.

Anyway lads check these little articles.

What Humans Are Really Doing to Our Planet, in 19 Jaw-Dropping Images
filmsforaction.org/articles/what-humans-are-really-doing-to-our-planet-in-19-jawdropping-images/

World on track to lose two-thirds of wild animals by 2020, major report warns
theguardian.com/environment/2016/oct/27/world-on-track-to-lose-two-thirds-of-wild-animals-by-2020-major-report-warns?CMP=share_btn_tw

In 20 Short Years, We’ve Wiped Out 10 Percent Of Earth’s Wilderness
8ch.net/leftypol/res/1023395.html#q1023417

Also this article wich is a bit unrelated but interesting.

How the soviets invented the internet and why it didnt work
aeon.co/essays/how-the-soviets-invented-the-internet-and-why-it-didn-t-work

Humans will more than likely not go extinct because of climate change, we will adapt to its changes and might possibly avert some of its affects due to geoengineering
also as much as i hate elon musk and spacex worship the silicon valley and tech porkies are pushing for space colonization and commercial spaceflight
the proletariat will be fucked, but humanity will be fine

So the culmination of 2,000,000 years of human evolution will be a bunch of rich tech douchebags floating around in space forever while billions are left stranded on Earth to spend their last few decades killing each other

Sounds about right

Don't worry, I'm sure we can fire a rocket after them.

I just switched to solar energy, what are my chances for survival now?

What do you think the chances of getting geo engineering started?

Geo engineering is inevitable, we will fuck up the biosphere (allready doing it) with the current technological society and we will try to fix it by the tech we have within our technological society. And then its over, then we must maintain the technological society as nature will become artificial and our whole means to exist (keeping this planet hospitable) depends on keeping the technological society functioning wich is allready in great dis-ballance (We dont even have a perfect one world goverment but sutch thing is impossible in itself). If we dont have created any space tech yet and havent started colonising the moon or mars then its most likely that if a major crisis happens and our means to maintain the bio phere would be interupted than the consequences would be massive and could result in the end of life on the planet. (The Fermi Paradox)

The effects of geo engineering are mutch more dangerouse than the planet after nuclear war. Life can still exist after a global nuclear holocaust but with the consequences of the failure by geo engineering you effect the basic components that are within the atmosphere wich make it possible to sustain water, temperture, protection of rays, and all that stuff. After global nuclear holocaust we only will have a planet with a nuclear ice age but after the failure of geo-engineering our planet will look like Venus. No life would be possible, at all.

Thus its important to destroy the system before the system can take over our planet its functions. And if its to late for that we need to have a communist revolution ASAP and take controle over this whole thing and sustain it and get to space so soon as possible.

So it's literally (still) man VS nature?

Also, I;m unsure if there would be one in time, with all the spooks and propaganda.

Sorry comrade, we are past the point of no return.
If it makes you feel any better, after a couple of isolated famines and flooding the vast majority of us will probably be alive.
A lot of animals are probably fucked, but maybe we can save some before they go extinct.
But hey, at least we made a lot of money for porky, right guys?

I honestly don't care much for the world wild faune at large. It's not like they are essential to our survival or anything. I'm much more concerned with the viability of our food supply and extreme weather.

Yeah. To leave us behind, you fuck.

feels like Trantor.jpeg

I don't consider the silicon valley set to be human

The second derivative (the rate of change of the rate of change) is positive and as long as that's the case things are going to get better.

Idealists, gtfo

Why do you come here for attention? Do you want a hug?

Why do you attempt to speak English when you so obviously can't? Do you want to be shot?

it's like I'm literally watching a TED talk

You probably shouldn't be talking shit about other people's ability to speak English when it clearly isn't you're first language.

Being an ESL != being unintelligible

…what's wrong with his post?

I'm just saying you shouldn't throw stones in a glass house.

It's very poorly worded. A native English speaker would have phrased it in a better way.

What is ESL? Esperanto as a Second Language?

Pretty sure you are making a joke, but in the event that you are serious.
English (as a)
Second
Language

Not to get too off topic, but did you consider the possibility that he might be drunk, or drugged or that he's just plain bad with words?

The fuck happened to this thread? Must be some cointelpro/newfags,

literally why?

Maybe.. just maybe.. we could have non english people on this chinese forum. Youknow like people who arnt english middle class who can only speak one langauge.

If you can't communicate with others, what are you even doing in here? Your posts are near illegible.

You are the first one to complain so its your own problem.

I'm the first to answer you, period. The rest gave up on making sense out of the mess you typed.

Verry true, thats why everybody still interacts with me. :^)

I dun wanna die. I jus wanna play with muh legos.

If we have (or develop) the technology for sustainable space colonies then we'll be able to survive on earth even if we completely destroy the biosphere.

for god's sake, both of you type fine, just get a room

bump

that's not what i said i said the rate of change over time of the rate of climate change over time is going down (which would make it negative fuck me) and will probably be stable before an apocellipse.

well that's based off a false premise and you just answered your own question anyway so :^)

yeah maybe i shouldn't have used the expression "second derivative" outside of calculus i've just been cramming a lot recently lmao

I meant more like

This meme needs to stop. There is no magical point of no return.

Oh LOL definitely not that. I just dislike people conflating nihilism with defeatism