Minetest Thread 2

MINETEST THREAD 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO
Recommend mods, raid join servers, build blocky hippy communes! All in a free as in freedom package!

Minetest is a free as in freedom (and as in free beer) barebones Minecraft clone. It more or less plays like a pre-redstone Minecraft

Well, the main difference with Minecraft is that Minetest has a mod API. Not only that, all mods are serverside as well, so you can connect to any type of server with just the vanilla client. It's just plug and play!

minetest.net/downloads/

Mind you, the portable game works well, so if you want to download that one, all you need to know is the actual executable is found inside bin/minetest.exe inside the minetest folder.

We got a small community built at beha.zapto.org:30000 "Survival in Ethereal", but our very own Holla Forums or Holla Forums server should be up very soon, in a matter of days. Connect there, set a password and be sure to press Enter and not clicking in the connect button.

We got two settlements. One is the Banana Republic, now abandoned due to some (native) 10yo tabletfaggot griefer using hax clients partially fucking our shit up, located at (150, 15, -550). Our new one is the Crusader Settlement, at (5, 90, -936). Press F5 to see your coords and march through the 10 minutes adventure to get there. Be careful with the non-chosen ethnoreligious peaceful people from the desert and the tree niggers, they will attempt to culturally enrich you. Press E to sprint, but be careful not to use all of it.

Right now we don't seem to be as active as we were in this server because we are waiting for the Holla Forums server, but we are still there. Just don't be a faggot and respect the secrecy of the settlement to avoid situations as the previously mentioned, and people will welcome you with open arms we need cheap spic workers for the mine, after all.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.minetest.net/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author=paramat&fid[]=11&sf=titleonly
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2787
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Banners mod maker reporting in.

Factions mod maker reporting in.

creatively bankrupt mod maker reporting in

Please include hunger mod in the Holla Forums server, cultivating and hunting food adds to the game. Food could use a rework, though.

Some ideas I'm proposing for the future Holla Forums server
* The consensus is pretty much for the server not to have rules/admins, with the obvious exceptions of cheating and DoSing/attacking the server. However, if we don't want the surrounding areas of the spawn to be griefed to death, we should have some mechanism.
What I propose is not to allow anybody to build in wilderness/non-faction territory. This is tantamount to disallowing players to do anything until they join a faction, which should protect most of the map from being destroyed should a bunch of 10yo find our server.
And then, make factions being hard to create, for example, a fee might be required, therefore requiring a certain amount of play time before being able to fund your own faction.
Kings Faction admins will most likely not allow the newcomers to do anything they want, so this will likely create a sort of meritocracy which will filter people on its own.
In case a faction goes full retard, the damage will be limited to that same faction.

For further elite-filtering, make it so that factions have to pay a fee in order to recruit people. Shit factions which shitplay will just not be able to recruit more people, ebin Leddit infiltrators will not able to just create a faction and invite 30 people right after, only to wage war on everybody, etc.

This is just a set of ideas, tell me which ones you like, and which ones you don't.

(Me)
Of course, this is a solution that requires 0 admins.

mcfuckingkillyourself

It's just an idea.
It prevents an external raid.

How does one make a faction by paying some sort or resource if they can't gain resources without making a faction?

We create an original faction for free, and delete it after X days, or give the first X newcomers the resources to create their faction.
For new players after that, they just cannot create a faction without first acquiring resources within an already existing faction.

By taking a loan silly go- I mean, guy! Come to my bank and ask for Goldmann's special shekel solution and recieve a special deal!

Actually this could be an element of gameplay, introducing a cast of (((chosen bankers))) :^)

Alright, but it sounds like some jerk faction leader could easily re-absorb the person who broke off almost immediately.

Also, what was the mod last thread that let you fly things around? Meshnodes or something? I want it.

I'm not sure of what you mean by that.

As for the meshnode, I'm personally all for it if you're forced to power it with something instead of just getting free energy like the MC mod did

I'm pretty sure minecraft has some kind of mod that makes you unable to place blocks or destroy blocks in a certain area around a special player placed block. Bastions or something. Might be an equivalent somewhere.

Yes, there is that stuff in Minetest, and a million different ones in Minecraft. We could use a mix of both faction permissions and faction permissions, to allow private property within a faction territory.

Sounds like this is going to turn out like civcraft.

I mean like a "civil war" type situation, but enhanced by it only being like one player against an entire faction.

And I agree, but what would be a good way to power it? Something common like coal? Something like that MESE stuff? Different stuff at different rates? And does the meshnode mod have that already? I didn't actually try it, I probably should.

One last thing, we starting a new map, or are we downloading and re-using this one for our own purposes?

Guys, I could just patch the function for protection to automatically make it protect spawn

Make a server where there are different races you can place. I just want to slaughter and raze elf villages as a dorf.

On a more serious note, something akin to have different races/factions might be neat with a decent pop. Whats the population limit for servers

I'm not sure how CivCraft is right now. Last time I went on it (last year), anyone could destroy anything and certain areas just gave me cancer, with flying cobblestone roads over griefed desert. This is precisely the kind of thing I'd want to avoid.

If you mean "a player leaves a faction", there are two possible outcomes: either the player creates his own faction because he has his own resources, hoping that his ex-leader won't bother him, or seek refuge within another faction.
If the first option is chosen, I guess the guy who breaks off will have to contract alliances.

On the map question, I don't know. I think we could play with tweaking mapgen settings to see if we can get an even better landscape. Downloading the same map would be also cool for me, even though I personally like exploring.

Pls turn the spawn into Runescape's Great Exchange.

Indeed, we're discussing it right now.
As many as it can handle. 20-30 seems to be the upper bound if we want a correct performance, though, with a system of factions, since people would be less scattered, it might go up to 35 or 40.
After that, we'd need mo' money fo' dem hosts.

I just want to slaughter and raze jew villages as a notsee.

6 million

I just wanna big bigass walls, roads, trenches and canals between/for groups. I'm all about infrastructure.

Water pumps would also be neato

Alright, so I'm wondering, I've made a server and it's running a beta version of the factions mod, but I'm not sure if it's 100% stable so I want to test it. How should I?

Give Holla Forums the IP for testan?

Try to perform all of the functions of the mod and then dump shitloads of people into it and get them to do it to.

What I'd like is there to be no laws against going to war against other factions and raiding their bases for war reasons, and for people to have rules within their own faction. The only rule I'd like is no hacking and no acting like a nigger about things like that one guy who put protect blocks all over the Banana Republic.

Also don't do map wipes.

Another idea. This one doesn't actually affect the gameplay at all unless players pay attention to it.
Make a system of families/dynasty. Each person playing on the server can /adopt someone.
This would create family trees, which can later be used to discriminate people based on ethnicity and impose racial segregation roleplay.
For example, let's say eblum is playing. A new player, MikeUSA, comes and agrees to become his son.
Upon completing the command
/dynasty MikeUSA, you'd get
"MikeUSA, son of Eblum the XXXX"
The XXXX part could be "the Elder", if one of the original players (i.e. joined in the first X hours of the server or something) or "the Orphan" if having joined later without having been adopted.

I've proposed a way to do it earlier in the thread, tell me what you think/what you would change.
The goal is to have no hotpocket (the admin would just be there to solve technical problems, never to police people).

Oh, any recommended exotic location mods? Like, the moon, sky islands, hell, whatever.

this have thaumcraft yet?

I'd love a fucking moon mod.

And with the meshnodes mod, you could fly Bub's Concession Stand TO THE MOON!

bump.
these threads are getting real comfy.

Sky Islands you say?

I say add chat spamming as a rule as well, then NO DATING as a joke. Protection mods also have some limitations that we should maybe contemplate, since you can actually drop gravel or lava over a protected area and it actually drops into the protected area, so unless we put that into cheating, maybe we should consider griefing (not applicable during war) of protected areas or bypassing of protection zones a bannable offense as well. Vertical area protection cockblocking is also pretty nasty, but there is no sane way (you can claim all the Y belonging to the area, but that's nuts) to prevent this without human intervention.

To prevent spawn areas from being fucked, we could claim them for an admin/system-only faction, then tell the players to run in some random direction until they find something. The rest is up to them.

Griefing shouldn't be much of a concern, though. Only places where people actually build can be griefed, and those will most likely be protected by either a faction area (initially thought to be very tall to account for fuckers just building a column over the place and fucking its shit up, but now I am not sure about the exact plans) or a player protected area. Banana Republic got fucked because we were using no protections because the most widely used protection system sucks major ass for groups (you have to add each player to each 11x11x11 protection cube manually), but we would have been fine had people not leaked the coords or had a faction-protected area.

This sounds like a terrible idea. In order to modify mines, for example, you would have to first claim that non-vital territory, which many factions wouldn't want to claim because it's a waste of area resources.

Claiming areas is (or at least was) done on a chunk per chunk basis, which could be kinda clunky since chunks here are quite small and having to claim territories constantly just to place ladders to get out of that Amigara manhole you just built would be a pain in the ass.

Also, think about this: some guys are digging towards Y -3000, but then they find out their hole ends at -2500 and there is no protected area after that. The faction has put limitations to players below a certain rank to prevent them from wasting area resources in unwanted areas, and so these guys can't claim. Should they wait for the admin to come down (mind you, it's quite likely a 15 minutes journey, being optimistic) and claim the area for them?

This would work, although the current factions code doesn't contemplate this. If everything is the same as yesterday, creation is free for everyone.

Some factions are open for everyone to join, so this doesn't seem like a good idea. I don't think Leddittards joining and trying to go at war with legit factions are a bad thing, though, as the factions system is built to encourage factions killing each other (killing enemies gives you area power, and I guess dying in PvP will remove power as well; if a faction has more area than what they can claim, you can overwrite the claims in their chunks until they have no area and essentially lose to the invaders) if they wish to do so. Making an alliance with other factions to destroy Leddit would be a legit tactic as well, so I would consider "rogue" factions to be additional entertainment for everyone else. Furthermore, if you lose to prepubescent 9faggers, you probably deserve it.

This guy basically only makes mapgen mods. I think he has a float lands mapgen, but I am fairly certain a Nether copycat mod exists and yes, you can dig deep enough to reach it without a portal
forum.minetest.net/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author=paramat&fid[]=11&sf=titleonly

Rules for the Holla Forums server:
1)No dating
2)No hacking
3)No spamming
4)==No anime==
Anti-anime hotpockets will be appointed and will ban anything related to weeb faggotry.

well, youre off to a terrible start

But can I spam hacks in order to date my waifu?

I think the "Not giving out coordinates" bears repeating.

The harder it is to get there the better. I'm not saying it should be an hour trek away, but Banana Republic was about a 5 minute walk from spawn. It's a wonder it didn't get fucked sooner.

making a rule against that is a poor decision.

Somebody here knows enough about webdev to set up a small website for the server? If we want to be able to make players upload their own skins, this will be necessary since I don't know about any API functions that could allow for sane uploading of skins.

should i buy minetest.moe?

Yes

(checked)
10/10. If we could get an anti-spam bot it'd be golden instead of letting mods decide what is and what isn't spamming.

My currently preferred solution is to protect columns from Y -512 to Y +512. It would allow everyone to mine past a certain level everywhere, and also go to sky worlds without any problem.
entering the faction territory by dropping gravel from above would require too much autism (think something like 512+511+510… cubes of gravel to get a decending stairway, not to mention the ascending one).
The lava exploit is tricky, there are several solutions to it, none of them convinces me much.

Free mining/building below Y -512 (or other value).

Remove these possibilities.

It's not, in theory, but I remember /intcraft/. Something like 12 people came from Reddit, quickly became the most powerful and numerous faction and started to coordinately raid everyone. They were pretty annoying.

There is a war system that was used in /intcraft/ after the one you've described here, which was much better. The "dying in PvP removes power" made everyone just shelter in castles and battles barely ever happened.

An additional note related to factions and combat: I wouldn't mind encouraging combat as much as possible if combat wasn't absolute horseshit.
That, and taking into account lag, makes combat the single worst part of Minetest, and even Minecraft.

This shit just proves what a contrarian shithole Holla Forums is. You couldn't play Minecraft before, but you CAN play an obscure blatant ripoff that looks EXACTLY THE SAME, because it's the hipster choice that only a small group is playing.

This is hilarious. What a joke. Faggots.

Nigga we did play minecraft for a while.
We're switching over to this because it has the features we want.

Like what.

These are not exactly rules but limitations. If you want the server not to be shat up by a bunch of 10yo kids playing on their tablets, you need them. Of course I'd like to play with 0 rules and restrictions while being safe from ebin rusers, but then we'd need to filter the people who come in. And even that isn't easy.

Read the OP you 12yo moron.

Huugh…
I guess it's not that I disagree entirely with the ideas of having some basics, but I heavily disagree with the limitations being put on factions.

Honestly I'd just go vanilla, fuck official, mod-made factions and just go full hotpocket on any redditor that joined.

Stealing and outright copying the ideas from Minecraft is a pretty niggery thing to do. Nice bootleg.

notch can i borrow 1 million dollars

No, I won't. If I wanted to play Minecraft, I'd play Minecraft, instead of this nigger bootleg shit.

He earned his fortune fair and square, commie fuck.

this isn't worth the time or effort to even argue

Pretty sure limitations would only apply if the factions ended up being different races, although I don't know that for sure

I don't think you belong on chans at all.

FIrst, I think we could have large factions that are open be limited in power, with power being needed to take land.

Never heard of Infiniminer?

Also, at least this isn't in Java and is slightly less of a mess. Easier modding helps the game suck less too.

But yeah, pirating Minecraft was easy, this is easier, whatever.

If you put no limitations on factions, then factions can be used to circumvent everything else. Imagine if ebin kids started to claim a belt of chunks around the spawn.
If faction power comes from players power, what prevents a faction from creating a thousand different nicks, making them join the faction, never use them again and just claim enormous areas of terrain?
That's why I require a solution that requires you to actually play in order to gain privileges such as owning a faction.
Note that this most likely wouldn't affect us, but rather the future player, since I have proposed a short initial period of free faction creating.

Then go play Minecraft instead of attention whoring like an emo kid.

This doesn't solve the problem of the thousand accounts ebin memer, unless closed factions are limited in power too, which would also suck.

Essentially, cap power for open factions at 20, make power from newer players derive from an exponential decay function and such.

The OP pic is indistinguishable from Minecraft. Copypaste job.

Wow, it's fucking nothing! Just Minecraft!

What the fuck is Infiniminer and what does it have to do with anything?

That's exactly what you fucks would be doing if you weren't too contrarian for something mainstream like that.

rest in peace Banana Republic

i did play Minecraft before, i gave up because it was getting continually bloated, had technical problems, was written in Java, and had no mod support or official API.
Minecraft itself would be a ripoff by your criteria. its an Infiniminer clone with some Dwarf Fortress sprinkled in, it has very little in the way of originality.
theres a bunch of texture packs and mods, i can make it look pretty different.

Please read: closed factions are the problem here. The solution for open factions is very much ok with me, but closed factions still suffer from that potential exploit.

Guys, I think he's baiting.

heres your you.

Nigger if you can say that Minecraft is a fun experience in any way then fucking kill yourself.

The power for _ALL_ factions would derive from that function.

where is everybody?

We prepping for the new serb

Then, create multiple factions from multiple accounts. For free.
The initial faction fee, which makes it so that it requires playing time in order to claim land, is the only way to prevent it.
No matter what system you can come up with for power and factions that is merely based on players presence, multiple accounts will work around it.

Alright, I think the factions mod is sort of working at this point,
connect to catgirls.animebitch.es:30000

How long? I don't see much against a playing time barrier.

is it really happening ?

This is a testing server, btw. Don't expect magic.

Since it's for creating a faction, I think at least a couple afternoons (4-6 hours) are reasonable. Apart from preventing abuses, it would also prevent autists from just logging on, scattering ultra far away (thus slowing down the server) and occupying a server slot while effectively playing single player. At least you'd have to get to know the community before doing that.

Pretty please.

This would work. Make buying a territory more expensive as a result.

Actually, there is jump-placing in Minetest, so it could very well be just 512 plus the bridge, as big as you want. Even that, it's a lot of autism.

I think just banning or warning whoever does such a faggot-tier thing would work. That or prevent lava from being placed above 512 until the start of the sky dimension (depending on the mod, it has an unbreakable "hard floor" that kills on touch, so dropping lava below that would be impossible) with an excuse like "something something little pressure makes it evaporate or shit like that". That would prevent most problems.

I think, but don't count me on this, that lava put so high into the sky wouldn't manage to propagate to the floor because the chunks it has to traverse must be loaded in order to allow a free flow, so it may be a literal no issue.

Creation will probably be changed later on. Open factions may be changed, but I think it would be better to just leave them as is.

If it was up to me, I would make claiming areas done via protection blocks instead of commands, and then make those blocks "vulnerable" to being taken by enemy factions a la CTF. To prevent people from just building a giant fuck you bunker around them, we could make accessing to them regularly necessary (maybe you can use them as teleporters, or maybe they are used to manage guild stuff, or maybe the more "in the open" they are they could act as beacons for buffs for the faction members nearby; use your imagination). This way, people would leave weak points in the structure for convenience that other factions may exploit.
Mind you, accessing to the "core" doesn't have to remove the protection from that area; it may be used just to steal area power.

Anyway, I thought about encouraging a more tactical PvP through the use of bombs, missiles or stealth raids rather than full frontal click mashing. I even thought about being able to put timed bombs in enemy territory to force them to search for them and disable the bombs before they fuck their shit up, but maybe that's a bit too crazy

My idea was to ask for some retardedly expensive shit, like a stack of diamonds, to allow the player to create a faction, then require some diamond blocks to claim each area in addition to area power. It's not an actual time requirement, but it does force you to play for a while.

I could easily do this by modifying a function, for the vertical pillars thing.

I also wanted to add, Minetest works on my low end 8 years old laptop relatively well, so I will be able to develop mods for it while I am away. Free software wins again.

It would probably be for the best. In fact, it would make the mod more efficient: just check if the position is between Y -512 and 512, and only if that's true, proceed to check if the X and Z coords intersect with any of the saved now-2D-rectangle areas.

You know, making a diamond block as the center point for the faction's super cool invincible base might not be too bad.

You could have it cover only a small area per diamond block and have the area it extends to only allow players within the faction to place and destroy blocks in the vicinity. More diamond blocks = bigger base. Nothing stopping people from raiding and murdering people within this area or stealing shit out of their chests but at the very least everything would be intact when they have finished pillaging.

Even better. The layer of chunks above factions' space just does not propagate liquids. A dedicated ruseman could find a way to make all chunks load.

On the faction war system, the one used at /intcraft/ was simpler than what you described:
The attacking faction reaches the defending faction's area. They can build nothing except for a banner of war or some other object.
If the banner of war is not destroyed within the next X minutes, the defending faction loses the chunk.

That would be awesome albeit somewhat griefy. Well, real life war is super griefy anway.

That's exactly the kind of fee I was talking about, in case anyone thought I was talking about real money or something. Rather than diamonds, I've thought minecoins, but the details don't matter that much.

[laughs in GNU]

[freedom intensifies]

Well, it would be a special diamond block, if anything. I guess we could make a system like the Minecraft beacon (build a pyramid, the bigger the pyramid, the bigger the AoE) to define area of action, but plain old protection blocks would probably work as well and also be way easier to make.

Maybe in a future we could fork protected chests from that protection mod, but make it faction-only and quite expensive to produce. Pillagers would still be able to steal from them if they manage to defend them while they "lockpick" them like it happens with PAYDAY's drills. Maybe by accessing the core you could disable the chests protection systems or something like that (which would be easier to make).

I guess that would work, but attacking headquarters would probably be pretty much impossible so no faction could ever be completely wiped out. Might be similar to putting a bomb and defending it just to let players enter the central building and attack the core

With the diamonds block solution, yes. I have thought of maybe giving tiers to chunks claimed. Basic chunks cost X gold/power and have takeover time of 1 minutes. Tier 2 costs more gold/power and has a takeover of 2 minutes, etc.
That means you would have to find the balance between a large yet weak faction and a well protected base that's too small to do anything on it.

why did you delete the non-trip post

Anyway anons, it's 5am here, so I'm off.
May you all have sweet memes.

alright who broke it

Fml and my 32bit PC, first wurn and now this.

The portable version is 32-bit compatible.

Nah, i don't feel like this playing on phone. Hell, i don't even use it.

Im not a clever person.

So I just downloaded this and I'm trying to find my way to the settlement, and my cursor will keep drifting in any given direction on it's own; it's only happening with this game. Anybody know how to fix this?

bump

This game is fucking boring, honestly. Very unpolished mob system, no mobs at all underground, very laggy and very shitty combat. It's proof that mods just can't make some games fun.

Why?

Because Minecraft is always getting worse. Also this one is FLOSS.

I agree that mobs suck, but have you really played? There are three different mobs underground, which are quite dangerous.

Before the Holla Forums server is launched and everything is decided, I recommend everyone to hop on >>>/intcraft/ to learn about the decay of the community and how it went down.
>>>/intcraft/13536 contains a good bit of drama, although the whole board consists of threads complaining about some aspect of the server and moderation. It's like a caption of the last moments of a fallen civilization.
Most of it boils down to power-trippy admins and newcomers shitting up the server, all mixed with a substantial amount of drama.

don't worry we're filled with reddit but i don't think we're as bad as them

do the candles float up and down too?
if not, I can probably fix that

Do it user.

Convince a guy who's burned out on Minecraft to download and play this.

You could start with the person that created Better than Wolves. That person is probably the saltiest of the bunch.

So where did everyone go? What happened to banana republic? Did you guys switch to a new server? I read the thread but it's pretty vague, something about a hacker kid named piggy that did something?

how hard is it nigger? i had to go to the config file, tell it to go fullscreen and specify a resolution and bpp otherwise i get a 16 bit 800x600 image on my top left corner of my screen

Some people are on the original server, and some are on the testing server.

Alt+F11 would have been faster, user.

i dont even fucking know

one of the server owners is paranoid af and is obsessed with open source irc for all comms so nothing gets posted here except for some autistic ramblings about factions

like anyone gives a rip about some freeware block server chat ffs

in a perfect world it would've worked but i tried alt enter, f11, alt f11 and nothing

oh there a testing server? would be nice to know about that kind of thing, you know for people who dont give a shit about downloading Yet Another IRC client

That's strange, after all, it WorksForMe®

Had you read the thread instead of being a lazy nigger, you'd have seen that the address of the test server has been posted.

some random post i found by reading each and every reply

with one reply to it

and no image

way to make it obvious friend

Sorry we didn't adapt to your lower intelligence.

Sorry I have no idea what the fuck is going on, since everyone's circlejerking in an IRC, and 90% of thread posts are usually garbage worth skimming

I have no idea what the IRC you're talking about even is, so let's start there.

No one is circlejerking on IRC at the moment, and the few mentions of Minetest on IRC have been for technical discussion about Lua modding on Holla Forums and official Minetest channels.
t. IRC fag.

Why not this?
Just make a small spawnzone where people can trade, and some next several miles a factionzone, where people can only build inside on faction areas/land through permission like you already said, so no one can fuck shit up inside the spawn zone, and factionzone will fuck up only their own shit.

Out of the spawnzone/factionzone is everything mad max zone and everyone can do everything, including griefing and destroying the map.
This way, treehuggers, factionfaggots and griefers can enjoy their respected playstyle in their respected area, everyone is happy.

Can I grief? Can I raid? Can I shit everything up without getting banned?

but nobody will then go build outside the faction zone

Early screenshot of the banners creation process, for you, big guys.

Sounds reasonable. I guess adding a sort of wasteland will give a new nice dimension to the game.

Could you make it extend the factions mod?

I think he might mean "if this area isn't claimed by a faction there's no rules".

Yes, upon completion.
I have thought of adding two types of banner support:
One is a standard support made of wood, which is purely decorative, and the other one is made from somewhat expensive materials, and claims land for a faction.

yeah, that's pretty fucking tinfoil-tier

seems bretty gudd :-DDD

How about having banners increase faction's power?

I'm going to join this shit, build a cave, then go underground and build the underdark.

Don't get pissy if you fall in a hole.

No one would build beautiful things there probably, but it's kind of an extended neverending hunger games + basebuilding

You could make everything "wasteland" outside a radius of ~20 miles spawn/factionzone. If not, just make sure it isn't too small in the end.

The entire factionzone including non-claimed parts in it should be protected from the beginning just like the spawn, otherwise people would probably instakill the map.

Maybe, too.

How the fuck do I put the server in? I've never actually been multiplayer on mineshit, and I've no idea how to do it here.

"Client" section

Alright, I'm in, I wanna virtue singal you fagmunches.

Holy shit, this crafting system is autistic as fuck

How hard is it to start a server? How do the necessary specs compare to Minecraft? I started a Minecraft server a few years ago but it was unplayable laggy, even on what I thought was a decent server. That's without mentioning mods.

Minetest is supposedly more performant, because it's written in C++ and loads smaller chunks. However, it is still quite laggy, and given a large ratio of players dispersion and a large amount of mods, it will lag as much as a Minecraft server.

Well, this was shit.

am i the only one getting mouse drift here? the mouse doesn't stop when i lift it from my mouse pad just keeps going in the same direction wtf?

That's a shame. Minecraft always bugged me in that it lagged horrendously even on a high end computer in singleplayer. Let's hope it will get better over time. Having the game in C++ is definitely a step in the right direction.

It lags because they still haven't figured out client-side mods

Even the inventory screen is done by the server, every single mouseclick goes back to server and crafting is seriously laggy on shit connection

Otherwise, the game doesn't require a powerhouse to run

True day. It's fucking annoying when you have to wait a second before placing every block then the server decides it hasn't received any event and everything goes to shit

But why?

Because modding. Mods never get really downloaded on your side, just the textures and models.

But why?

Because scripts are executed server-side. Executing them client-side would require to transfer the context over the network, which has apparently not been deemed worthy by the engine developers. That, or taking a whole new approach to modding, which I don't think would please mod-makers.

flowerchild is pure autism but come on lad, the forge take-over and death of independent modding was hardly his fault

I still have yet to encounter this lag a few people are talking about.

We're lucky with the server we play on, but most servers I've joined were extremely laggy.

Where the fuck is everyone? I'm like, the only person on the server

It's hard for anyone to find the server. They'd have to read the whole thread.

THE SERVER IS CALLED SURVIVAL IN ETHEREAL, FUCKING LOOK FOR IT ON THE SERVER BAR THINGY, AND YOU'LL WAKE UP IN A SILENT LAND OF FAGGOTS WHO CAN'T KEEP THE WORLD'S THEME STRAIGHT AND A FAGGOT HOLE OF NOTHIGN AND GLASS WITH CLIMBING USING SHIFT AND JUMP

so what's the server
i aint reading through 160 shitposts

t to chat, i for inventory, shift and jumping lets you climb, and everything else is a mystery to me so far.

thanks famicom

how do i find you guys
I joined the server no clue what to do now.

Head northeast and keep following that way till you get out of civilization.

Will this grow or can I say fuck it ?

Is is possible to make the command block protect only blocks below it? That way you can always make a skybridge if they abuse the system. Maybe you can place multiple blocks on top of each other so you'd have to kill/disable them all and slowly work your way around or down a base.

I NEED SLAVES

you're autist as fuck but keep it up
t. donardotrumpo

It should, but if I were you I'd try putting the torches right in between the crops.

Well this piggybear faggot is ruining everything atm. Why don't everyone go to the new server?

IP: catgirls.animebitch.es

I FOUND ME SOME URANIUM, AND SOME COPPER, CLAMING CUMIMIN SOON

ICBMs when?

Lloth 4 lyfe!

If there's one thing I loved to do in mineshit it was use this digging method, and even here it serves me well, an endless eries of canals and the easiest way to get only the best of ores.

Also, seriously, the fuck is everyone talking?

Nice coords there m8

fug

Stay the fug outta here.

Do we have a server yet?

Oh excellent, the Charcoal I was making with trump is still there.

this fucking server is unbearably laggy, everyone keeps freezing and teleporting around

Speeds are fine for me.

SHUT IT DOWN

Serber restarting due to jewish lag

Ugly Mobs

btw i made a mine that goes until -512 and diamond is common below -256
Coor: +100,+71

the only thing below that is mese block that spawns at -1024 but i dont know if its worth searching for it

the mobs could definitely use an overhaul

The not-redstone? There are a couple of things we need that for.

Should I make anything below a certain y free game?

I think someone suggested 512 to -512, but it's up to you.

I was thinking just below -512

is there any real interesting mechanics to the game or is it really bare bones minecraft?

Which server are people playing on?

base game mechanics are basically just digging and building
everything else is modded in

what mechanics would you like to see?

tell me about the mods then

I would like lots of different kinds of in-depth magic, such as blood magic, necromancy and Chaos magic.

I would also like different planes of existence with various gods, demi gods, elder gods and creatures.

I would also like low tech made advanced like clockwork robots and steam golems.

finally I would like npc empires with different races and cultures that actually do their own thing other then just be there for the player but the player can interact with.

sorry for the bare bones descriptions my head hurts so I can't think all that well right now

Gee, and I thought recreating ic2 in minetest was gonna be a lot on my plate.

A train / minecart implementation that isn't completely barebones would be nice..

I do suggest one thing though, don't have lots of separate mods that do their own thing that never interact with other mods

Nanosuits.

Lods more food and drink items. I wanna unleash my inner gourmet. And also so shit like stringbeans/grapes/wild onions actually have uses and aren't just there for being there

everything having a use is always good, having multiple uses is even better though

Also ability to brew beer and such, having a tavern would be comfy as shit tbh

Pls add alcohol for fast driving and drunken fights.

interesting brews like fires breath ale and spider cider

Just disregard my 1000000 million hours in paint yeah?

(You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You) (You)

yes, gudd :–DDDD

is the Holla Forums serb done yet.

(You) are my best ally :–DDD

I'm going to whip up my old backed up Mineshit Mods, then tell it to you worthless faggots straight.

What are some good mods? I just got this game today.

Fucking Fish mobs, Seaweed, Sponges, Underwater ruins, temples, civilizations, including mobs that trade, Sharks, Sunken Ships and a Leviathen not to mention a multituide of seafloor biomes and mob placements for sea depth levels and varieties of sea-sand and blocks that didn't make the sea floor look 100% NOPE thanks to Bioluminescense.
Coral reefs weere especially lovely when I have good Land generation mods that had proper rivers, sealines and the like present. I think it added If this mod were still working it would have complimented the likes of the Rougelike Dungeons mod, which sometimes goes to sea level resulting in flooded dungeon floors, The battletowers mod which sometimes spawned massive battle towers in the middle of entire oceans, and the Ruins mod which spawns random abandoned structures across the map, this coupled with Default Vanilla water ruins for those shitty Literally Aboleth's without all the cool rip offs would have made water exploration that much more fun, with the cherry on top of the Fucking Seaboat and airship mod for when you find abandoned ships and the like so you could raise them back to working and pilotable standards.

Seriously, Seafaring in minecraft would have been that much more greater for me, I hope Minetest reaches such standards.

I ain't on about this game, I'm on about stuff I'd like to see

Are there guns in it?

The ping is generally too high for any FPS feature to be enjoyable.

always x-DD :—-DDDD

We could get a gun mod

Was aways a given, with a slight modification to included modded and vanilla mob lists, and limiting the spawning of these towers for most of them to be underground so they intersect with underground dungeon structures such as Roguelike, Doomlike, or Chocolate quest dungeons, it was always a blast to fight the Golem at the end, and the best part about these towers is that they fucking explode on completion, which makes escape more fun, nevermidn the fact these towers always seemed to be in the general vicinity of something interesting in the game world from other mods.

Diablo/Path of Exile tier Mob spawning, Without the defautl frequency and utterly riddicolous powers though, things in it need to be rare, challenging but beatable, No one wants to fucking encounter a zombie with 7 powers of the worst kind every waking second of nightfall.

Always a good thing, this mod gives you reason to spend time on the surface, and combined with enchanting+ and the other enchanting mod which adds in those sliders for enchanting, meteors was great for the natural disasters part of minecraft that the game sorely lacked,

I really wanted these to be rare spawns, because of how utterly versatile and ruthless they were when they showed up, but you get the point, boss mobs, I want them to be treated like bosses in Terraria, summoned or apper on a geogrpahical or time based event.

Keeps the players from starting faction wars by already having them present, offering them better trade diversity than Vanilla NPCs, and various cultures to benefit from in form of wares, allowign them to expand or even becoming a key memeber in that society, and of course, fun as fuck race wars, also adds ruins of is own and bandit attacks, so Millinarie served greatly for RPG based villages and the like. NPCs with millenaire features are the way to go IMO.

100% requirement for the ultimate Necromancer/spooky as fuck trapped dungeon, sometimes intersects with other undeground structures becoming a confusing clusterfuck of fun, think WOW old times dungoen tier. final layer has a portal to the Nether.

And lastly, for monsters, and combat

Literally fucking adapt Dungeons and Dragons, Morrowind did the fucking same for it's combat system, but it can work in realtime as a few hefty Skyshit mods proved, Minetest/craft has the capacity to run an amazing system based on the classes the game would provide as well as how one would level up. I'd love to enter a server, get a choose my race option, then base class and just jump right into that kind of fun.

a in-depth class system is always good

I fucking hate robust fags who do everything perfectly and never roleplay at all

I'm torn though, I'd like classes not to relay on other classes but I don't want to see people just using alts

maybe have it so that every class can do everything outside of their class to a certain degree and it's own thing, so like a fisherman can stitch him self up with a fishing line and hook to heal alittle bit but a cleric with healing word will always be better

also I don't like seeing dedicated healers being made redundant thanks to shit like health potion chugging

nor retarded healing strings just passively keeping people alive

Welp, started working on the ic2 clone.
Scaffolding is set up to break when no solid block is under it, but this is gonna mess with scaffold being able to branch off X amount of spaces off from a pillar.

I think I need to remove the 'attached' boolean and add an abm function to check for a supporting solid block, so that I can add a function to prevent scaffold from being placed on the side of a supporting column if distance to supporting column exceeds 3 blocks.
I think the ic2 scaffold extends the support distance to 5 when it's been reinforced with sticks.

I'll have to figure this out tomorrow though.

farming mod
forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2787

Naaaano suiiiits……

what coordinates have you fags settled at?

What server?

survival in ethereal, beha.zapto.org:3000. Anons also said to join catgirls.animebitch.es:30000

not the other user. and haven't kept up with the thread but who owns

catgirls.animebitch.es:30000

The hunger gimmick is the word "gameplay feature" that has become popularized in vidya in the last 5 years.

fucking needing to eat every other minute otherwise you'll die

hunger mechanics hinder gameplay, just have it so that food gives great buffs that last a fairly long time depending on the quality of the food so that if you're going to fight a boss you'd want to eat a good meal and take some rations along with you to keep your buffs up

D&D gameplay ensures that potions, and most magical items are pretty dear to get and harder to hold onto, belive me, betting a potion in such games is a blessing.

Actually food incorporates:
Buffs that aren't just statistical but beneficial to certain tasks I.E faster building
Survival and benefits to XP gain and character growth
Possible downsides to food
Allows for undead/carrion eaters or cannibalism immersion i.e beign a ghoul lets you eat rotten stuff for mad buffs.
Assists with fatigue, and hunting, and killing if hunger and fatigue are also incorporated for mobs.

Idea guy pixelartist with an ambitious idea reporting in.

Food in terraria is really good.
Just having some buffs like longer sprinting/faster block breaking/instantly regenerating a bit of hp would be pretty nice and give both reasons to eat and not to eat. Instead of regenerating a bit of hp, having 2 or 2.5 extra hearts when eating would be ok too (for instance not well fed a player's hp is 7.5 and fed it is 10 like now)

Apart from this minor bug which makes the banner only appear in the corner, we're pretty much there already.

depends on the D&D

right

terraria is great on the whole

Not for this server or really anything we should do at all, but someone should make a "Terraria 3D" mod for Minetest. What could possibly go wrong?

the mother of lag and low fps
Also what we really need in minetest is autistic engineering mods, like technic back in 1.2.5 minecraft days

Some guy in the thread is remaking IC2

AUSTRALIAN FLAG CONFIRMED FOR GLITCH

GET REKT AUSSIES

Is there a Terrafirmatest?

wait a second have you autists built a city or are we all just fucking off to our own thing?

uh

A city is already built.

you know nigger it would be so much easier if the OP had information

Second this

What about you read the OP instead of being the lazy nigger here?

Fucking hell, it's a long walk.

fuck i'm wrong on the internet

no wait a second you nigger that's on the old server

Updated map, found a river that goes straight to the south from the Spawn.

There is no "old" and "new" server. There's the server we're playing on and the test server, which was up after OP was created.

Wait, aren't we on
?

Yeah well apparently. I'm not very active in the game because I'm working on mods for the future, definitive, best of the best Holla Forums freedom server.

Finland will rise

Shamoanjac, or the IC2 guy?

sh-shamoanjac
I'm currently stuck with the banners mod due to a graphic bug which I hope will be solved soon. I'm trying to work with the world generator right now.

what kinda stuff can the world gen do?

Literally anything. Right now I want to get it to generate larger mountains (there's no reason they should stop at

oh there's biomes?

anything really neat and worth getting to?

Well the ethereal mapgen adds some really sweet biomes such as giant redwood forests (trees are like 50 blocks high and 6*6 wide), dead wastelands with dead trees, savannahs with actual savannah trees, giant mushroom biomes, banana biomes, etc.

is there a reason to go there other then it looks pretty though?

Yes, for the special types of wood and dirt. Some plants (including trees, such as the banana tree) only grow on certain types of dirt. Redwood forests are fantastic resources of wood, and can also be used to get yourself a functional tree house.
It's true that I'd personally like biomes to have even further advantages (for example, certain minerals or something).

Would you be having certain crops only growing on soil from certain biomes as well?

is there any kinda magic biomes or corrupt/crimson biomes?

This already exists afaik, though adding it wouldn't be hard.

I think not, but it could be added.

I'd prefer it if certain crops simply will not grow outside of their own biomes or similar ones but I don't know if that's difficult to do or not.

that's the kinda I love, specially there's also biomas in the sky and underground too

Well, there are humidity and heat settings attached to chunks, which are used to determine the biome to be placed, but I think these are dropped after generation, unfortunately.

Yeah we definitely need one or several nethers + planets/sky islands

well I meant more like in terraria where there's undergound biomas and then cavernous biomas

Sounds good, caves are pretty damn boring.

I'd also like weather which make moving biomas like fog or storms and snow

the thing with biomases that made terraria so great was the fact that everyone of them was so utterly different in almost every way asides from common blocks/ores

just giving them all their own enemy types is enough to give a real enjoyment out of the game

What film?

the only weather mod I know of is a very poor implementation

it creates 'local storms' that either snow or rain on you depending on the biome, but it does this by creating particle spawning nodes at player.position + 60 or something stupid like that
weather should just be rendered as an effect, not rely on a fucking invisible cloud of particle spawner nodes

well talking about terraria again when it rains it spawns new enemies and allows goldfish to walk on land, so as long as it's not just an effect I'm all down to however it's implemented

another thing which makes biomas stand out is a change in music

do we have anyone doing music for the mods?

steal terraria music?

I wouldn't

It would have to be added into the engine I think.
The engine would have to check for 'x time since storm, storming = yes/no', and client would check for boolean "isStorming" and "canSeeSky" before rendering the effect

doesn't sound so bad

does this server have other people that arent you guys and pvp on? that was the gay thing about wurm, that it was no fighting allowed so it was just building shit to look at it rather than use it

What, did you guys play Wurm Online?
btw there are PvP servers on WO

some other guys did (maybe still do) but it was on a pussy server with no pvp. they made a nice town and everything but there was no drama

Are we talking WU or WO?

I'd assume WU

Choppers was a mistake.

Did you steal my heli?

Do you guys really think that 1k m away from spawn is far enough?

No but some asshat called Hyper is fucking around doing that.

It's not.

We gotta disable the unlimit viewdistance of nameplates, thats how the niggerfaggots gets to us.

Hype is stealing helis?

Yeah, he and some normalfag called joe.

is there a way to have your own skin?

Concept for the Holla Forums map.
In the middle of the map, normal map generation, several biomes, only factions are allowed to build.
Outside this central zone, the wasteland until map boundaries: free building/mining, but survival is very harsh: growing anything is next to impossible, mobs are extremely hostile and dangerous, trees cannot grow (though there are some dead trees for wood), etc.
The Wasteland should have some unique minerals, though.

no, this

Is (5, 90, -936) still the location of our new base?

It seems a bit anti-fun to make the only place that's completely free a literal wasteland. If it ends up being a wasteland, it should be because the players made it one. Maybe just have wasteland areas within it, or a ring of wasteland acting as a barrier between faction land and fertile anarchy land.

whoah

on the ethereal server, yes

alright the wall is all mine and you're all kicked out i'm tired of niggers just jumping in
t. DonardoTrumpo

I'd always actually used soundtrack replacements from Bastion when I was playing Terraria. But, anyway, if music rips in general would be acceptable, it'd be fun to have Holla Forums together to assemble a collage for the game's soundscape.

Should I just use lava as light ? Is that what's missing ?

First pic seems ok, second pic is definitely under-illuminated.

Minetest does indeed need sounds. It just feels dead without birds singing in forests, wind in deserts, cave sounds in caves, etc.
And, of course, ambient music.

if it comes down to that then it comes down to that but I think that if it had it's own music it'll be more appealing to people

you can't really hold up a game with ambient music alone though it does help alot though

or things like hitting animals/monsters

Finland just reached the CURRENT YEAR in technical development

so you admit we're white

n-no!

nuclear power soon

Oy vey the goyim are arming themselves!
shut it down

wait until we got nuclear bombs and tell all the other factions to not make them for some bullshit reason like being too dangerous

Will you also force them to use a money the value of which you can arbitrarily decide by printing more or less of it while putting them in debt of that same value-less money?

what does it mean Holla Forums?

X-files theme starts playing
I have no idea, I found one of these, too.

it get spookier still

The shack near spawn had an unknown item instead of a door until I replaced it.

Which of the two servers are we playing?

i have an intel hd 3000 for muh grafix
can i run this shit or what
i wouldnt mind relaxing and autisming about

Yes

You can run the full version of Minetest on shitty Android phones (unlike Minecraft, which has a completely rewritten mobile version). It's not very demanding.

bump

The thread is bump locked.

Can someone make a new thread and link it here?