PSP Thread

So what are your favorite games? Most I have are from Holla Forums's recommended list but I get bored playing them. I want to play something fun, something that can take my mind off of things.
Having good games is always nice but what are those that you can just waste hours upon hours?

Pic related is my guilty pleasure, do you have any?

Other urls found in this thread:

wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?p=359128#p359136
wololo.net/emulators-for-the-psp-ps-vita-the-ultimate-download-list/#fifth
nicoblog.org/psp/7th-dragon-2020-english-patched/
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/PSP
wololo.net/2014/12/19/high-quality-video-encoding-for-psp-with-handbrake-by-reprep/
nicoblog.org/psp/install-pro-cfw-on-your/
amazon.com/Slim-Rechargeable-PSP-2000-3000-Compatible/dp/B0037U7CQK/ref=pd_sim_63_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31rR9XhX4bL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=JYVVMDV8CBXTJCH7PE0B
nicoblog.org/psp/gurumin-a-monstrous-adventure-undub/
gamefaqs.com/boards/196817-breath-of-fire-iii/55291244
rpgfan.com/reviews/Gungnir/
wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7371
nicoblog.org/psp/the-best-psp-plugins-collection/
wololo.net/emulators-for-the-psp-ps-vita-the-ultimate-download-list/
nicoblog.org/psp/6-60-ctf-best-themes-collection-download/
emuparadise.me/PSP_ISOs/Parodius_Portable_(Japan)/156560-download
nicoblog.org/psp/valkyria-chronicles-3-extra-edition-english-patched/
iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/the-fateextra-ccc-translation-project/
yadi.sk/d/z2kEgqemsMfBP
pastebin.com/GaKfEChk
nicoblog.org/psp/monster-hunter-portable-3rd-hd-english-patched/
wololo.net/cfw4dummies/
nicoblog.org/psp/grand-knights-history-english-patched/
forums.dashhacks.com/psp-help/302489-home-button-wont-quit-games-help-request.html
nicoblog.org/psp/dj-max-portable-3-usa/
ifixit.com/Device/Sony_Handheld_Console
nicoblog.org/psp/chrono-trigger-usa-psn/
nicoblog.org/psp/final-fantasy-iv-complete-collection/
nicoblog.org/psp/star-ocean-first-departure-usa/
nicoblog.org/psp/lunar-silver-star-harmony-usa-undub/
youtu.be/73XnZFOrVXQ?t=7m53s
nicoblog.org/psp/valkyrie-profile-lenneth-usa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know why I enjoy as much as I do, despite it being an FPS with PSP controls, but Coded Arms is pretty damn fun.

I tried playing it but couldn't get used to the controls. Does 2 make it a little easier?

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity is probably the greatest trashmob loot grind game I have played on any platform, at least since PSO on the DC/NGC. Especially if you play a glass canon class which relies heavily on dodging and blocking like Duman. I've spent far too much time on that title.

English patch always perpetually "almost finished". Never Ever though.

Valkyria Chronicles III was pretty tits, too.

I'm going through 1 now, I like to play things in a row, it soothes my autism. Would I be missing much if I skipped or should I keep going?

Couldn't agree more, been enjoying it far too much, got it for a quick trial but now I'm in too deep to go back and play 2 or the first one.

Also I've heard good things about Cave Story, should I give it a go?

Ate my image

Parappa the Rapper's a fantastic port, and Gitaroo Man Lives is just as good.

As for other games Dissidia's quite fun, same for the Megamans.

I'd quite like to see what else this thread has in mind - I just bought a cradle and bluetooth controller for my PSP Go and I'm enjoying using it so far as a microconsole.

You'd be missing more by skipping out on PSU/AotI, but since most of the story for that is online and no longer accessable - then I wouldn't sweat it too much. There's only one *new* character from PSP1 that returns, and she's only got a minor side-quest for her partner card. The stories of the portable games themselves aren't really connected, whereas PSP1 is a bridge story between PSU and AotI - and PSP2/i is more of a side-story only tangentially related to the story of PSU.

Not that it matters - because none of the stories are actually worth any serious investment. They're not actually good, like PSI, II or IV. They're just slog you have to go through in order to unlock new content.

Though PSP2 did actually make Lumia a halfway decent character. So props to it for that.

Truth be told this is the first PS game I ever play so I have no clue of any background story. I'll keep going so I can at least understand what's happening on 2.

On another note here is a chart which I think some user is updating it. I grabbed it some threads ago.

Also, I got 6.60 Pro-C cfw running for FF-type0 and I was trying to run Cave Story but it won't acknowledge the GAME150 folder and I can't find anything on the cfw recovery menu.

Nevermind, I just slapped it on the normal game folder and there it was.

I don't see these games get mentioned too much, if at all.

E.D.F 2 Portable, Jap only, don't need to know nip to play, but all weapons and menus are in jap.

Tenchu Fatal Shadows from PS2 ported to PSP, jap only

PS2 game of same name ported to PSP, open world driving game

Samurai Shodown I - VI on psp, also only way to play IV on psp

I really like the aesthetic and music in coded arms. I also like how simplistic it is. Reminds me of the kind of custom levels I used to make in Timeplitters

Didn't they cut out a fuckton of content for the PlayStation versions of TD Unlimited, though? Still worth a play either way, tho

Missing content from PS2 and PSP version:

I can't find these fucking things anywhere at a non-jew price. What makes it worse is that I saw them on clearance 6 years ago for $5 each.

Secret Agent Clank was infinitely better than R&C Size Matters

I wonder if someone's willing to spend money to see if its possible to get 2x200gb, highest I've heard of is 2x64gb.

I'm thinking of selling my old PSP since I haven't touched it since I was in grade school.

Any advice?

Reminder that both Way of the Samurai 1^2 got ported to the PSP and have fan translations available for both.

The PSP OS can only recognize 64GB.

By the way reminder to never go 64GB, every single person i saw using 64GB ended up with a completely fucked PSP memory slot/MOBO.

Do you have shit taste or you just don't play vidya in general?

Whatever the case if you really don't want it, you could sell it to some user around here since sometimes anons mention having problems finding PSP's for sale.

Never played Way of the Samurai, sell me on it user.

Never tried Size Matters, does it play like the other R&C games or does it have some sort of camera gimmick? Or am I just being retarded and it's just like Agent Clank?

I'm curious about this one as well, are they fun?

Just some of the best games with sword combat or choices that actually matter. It's like a chose your own adventure game with amazing sword combat and you can pretty much do what ever you want. For example the opening of the first game has some guys kidnapping a girl your choices are one attack the guys and save the girl. Two join the guys in kidnapping the girl or three ignore them completely with consequences for all three actions. It also has a dedicated groveling button for when you pick a fight you can't win. Which is all of them until you play a bit more and actually get a sword worth a damn.

Yeah, I have a shit taste in vidya.

That sounds like a good idea. How would I go about doing such a thing? I'd be glad to give someone else that'll put it to use.

user you're selling some good fish here, now seal the deal for me, since you mentioned getting a good sword does that mean there's also different armor/clothing?

I don't know about the second game since I was never able to find a copy of it but in the third and fourth games you bet you could. The first game really feels like a budget PS2 title I hear the second game is pretty much the best one but I wouldn't know. The third game is definitely my favorite out of 1, 3, and 4 but that's only because they dumbed down the fourth game. If anything play three and maybe two if you find the first one too boring because the third game is fucking amazing. There are like twenty different ending in the third game.

Alright, I'll be sure to take a look, thanks user.

I finally slapped the snes emulator on it and got Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid and Megaman X. Anything else I should add?

The best place to still find them, offline anyhow, is from hobby shops and comics stores. I just bought my brother-in-law a PSP a few weeks ago for his birthday since he doesn't have a lot of time to game on his dedicated rigs between working and watching three sub-5year old kids. He's mostly been trying to make due with shitty mobile games on his phone. I figured the PSP was the perfect solution, since it's easy to play on and flip into sleep mode when having to keep an eye on the kids - and it doesn't have to compete with Super Why and other shitty kids shows for the TV screen. The shop I visited was just a little hole-in-the-wall comic store, but they had like four different PSPs for $70, and a few special edition models for like $100. Plus, the atmosphere is comfy as fuck in those places. Reminds me of the old days of visiting locally owned dedicated video game retailers, before everything went digital or super-marketed GoyimStomp shit.

The only problem is, he's quite a bit younger than me and didn't really get into gaming too hardcore until the PS2 era. So I put CFW on it, filled the 32gb card to the brim with PSP ISOs, PSX games, emulators and roms. Not sure how much of any of them he'll play, though, since most of them were before his time.

Still fucking better than mobile shit at any rate. And I got him both God of War PSP ISOs - along with Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, so at least those three should be enough right there.

Well, SNES/SFC, NS/FC, Genesis, GBA, etc games really don't take up much room at all, even in bulk. You could probably load a ton of shit onto it for older non-disc based systems and have it take up very little room altogether (compare how at most a SFC game, like ToP, might take up 6 MB or so, while PS1 eboots can be in the range of maybe a couple hundred MB to 1.5 of so GB each).

Can't say how well some of the SNES library runs on it, though I've heard it can have some issues at times. I know I've personally had some issues trying to get BoF II to work with the retranslation patch with it (the logo screen and opening Watercrown added maybe affects it? It works fine played on an SNES emulator with my Wii, for the sake of comparison).

Wait, I thought EDF Portable 2 was a Vita game.

I'm honestly surprised those got a portable version. Is it actually the original games, or is it just a spinoff like that Yakuza one?

The original PS2 games

It's both but we only got the Vita version in English

As far as I'm aware they're ports with script rip patches of the PS2 translations, with any extra content being fan translated.

I thought Secret Agent Clank is bad Then again I havn't played it but everything post Gladiator doesn't hold up from what I've played

Then play it, it's more puzzle oriented.

It was a fun game but i gave up halfway due silky smooth 10 FPS on PSP 2000, hopefully it will run better on my new 3000.

Sounds interesting, i'll give it a try after finishing what i'm currently playan.

Put it on Ebay or Craigslist and drop the link around PSP/Vita/Collector/Emulation threads.

The Vita one is an enhanced version of the PSP port which is a "remake" of the original PS2 game.

wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?p=359128#p359136

just because I know you stupid fucking niggers have to be spoonfed every little thing

I don't think that's the most ideal way, at least as far as using ebay or Craiglist to advertise goes. Just mentioning it in a thread though with a burner account or something in the email field and seeing if any anons respond directly could work well, though a third party to ensure the money and item are sent would also likely be needed (I think the old BST threads half/vr/ had used paypal as a mediator, with "purchase" as the selected payment type).

I mentioned OFW because if you are using an SD+adapter that goes over 64GB probably won't get recognized by the OFW PSP making you unable to boot the CFW.

The only way to reliably boot 64GB+ on OFW is with an official Lexxar/SanDisk ProDuo card but they are way fucking expensive thanks to ((Sony)) and the faggot scalpers.

I heard about being able to boot 256GB+ with an adapter+SD via Infinity but honestly i never cared enough to research how.

So I found a used PSP 3004 on the used market for 25 eurobucks, its battery is dead so it can only be played if stuck into an outlet. A local vidya shop sells a battery for PSP 3000 for 12 eurocucks.
PSP looks scratched to shit on the back, but it comes with a case and some games (2 or 4, can't tell from the photo).

Should I get it? For emulation purposes.

Yes.

Check this wololo.net/emulators-for-the-psp-ps-vita-the-ultimate-download-list/#fifth

So i see that a LOT of jrpgs were released for the PSP. Is this one any good? Any recommendations
i was gonna make a thread for this but id rather not fill the catalogue

As far as I've heard (and I could be wrong), Student Alliance is a pretty bad port job of MK (something about loading issues, which are apparently in both the physical and digital versions, but much more severe in the physical), though whether the issues were on Gust's (or whoever did the port job) end, or induced by NISA, I'm not sure. Though the PSP did also see a port of Mana Khemia 2 as well, so between that and NISA's… tendencies… I'm guessing that it might be the latter. Anyhow, as far as I'm aware the PS2 version is the better way to go, though still somewhat buggy thanks to NISA.

If you want to play a PS1 classic, there's a PSP port of Tales of Eternia that PAL areas saw (and was never cleared for North America thanks to SCEA). To my knowledge it even has an undub patch, as people are a bit hit or miss on the official English dub (I personally found it more charming than bad). Fun game.

If you have a CFW PSP (you really should if you don't), you've got access to a fuck ton of PS1 ports as eboots as well, both official PSN rereleases and fan converted. That assume you're actually playing with a PSP though and not just emulating with PPSSPP or whatever.

You might try asking in if you can't get a decent enough response for stuff here.

I'm the user from
I've never sold anything online, but the way that you're mentioning intrigues me.

First, how does the item reach the user that wants to buy?

Second, what third party sites would you recommend?

Sorry for needing to be spoonfed. I'm terrible at stuff like this. If anything, at least someone else in the world can make use of my old PSP

Droppin' some random recommendations to keep the thread alive.

Been playing god eater on the psp emulator. Pretty fun, been looking for other games to play though.

2x 64GB Sandisk SD card + adapter does work fine with both OFW and CFW. I was surprised that I was able to use it on the PSP right away.

I'm about to go into Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 for the First time and I noticed the sequels are on PSP. Are they good follow ups to the first game?

(checked)
If you want some similar things I'd recommend
>Final Fantasy Type-0 if you want that quick dodging slightly cuhrayzee gameplay, nicoblog should have a translation

Please don't devour my images

Not the thread for this but was Soul Sacrifice on the Vita a Monster Hunter competitor and if so was a good one?

Sorry, can't help you there.

But I can say that I've been playing 3 and having a blast, it's pretty nice.

What is up with the Monster Hunter pre-fab games on PSP ?
Lord Of Arcana, Phantasy Star, God Eater and other ones I forgot.
They all look and play the same, with the same mechanics and UI style.

I assume it's because of the limitation of buttons? Can't say if MonHun always kept the same control recipe, the only ones I've ever played were on PSP.

But if you have so little controls to so many actions it's bound to feel the same between games even more if they were just lazy and simply copied them. I still can't get used to Peace Walker controls, for example.

Also recommending the echo games, although I feel like the first one has too many levels. May get boring after a while.

Is the PSP Go a good investment if I already have chunky PSP?

Also a world of problems would have been solved if the PSP Go had added another analog nub.

Tactics Ogre, but I'm also frustrated that the game doesn't update the enemies their gear past lvl 30. The enemy UI is also scripted like shit and does nothing but just rush your team which makes it too easy.

If they would've fixed that I would've played it for so many more hours.

More recs.

PSP 3010 right? my fucking 2000 and 3004 refuse to recognize my SanDisk SD for whatever reason.

1>3>2
I didn't liked 2 much but 3 EX was pretty good.

They have the same controls because the PSP lacks a 2nd stick and similar gameplay/UI because even cheap MH clones do really well in japan.

Pretty good but the problem is that the Go is really fucking expensive, if you can't get a 2nd hand for around $80 then it's not worth it.

Disregard NG, the real game starts on NG+.

Also if you are using Ninjas and Archers you are never going to have fun because those classes are just OP as fuck.

Well, again, I'd wait until the monthly collector/buyfag/recent pickups thread to try to advertise here. The user that makes them seems to do so around the 15th to 20th or the month.

But basically, the idea would be that you stick an email in the email field (whether it's your main one or a burner; latter might be good if you don't want spam after the exchange), an user that's interest contacts you, you'd negotiate a price, and then you'd ship it out and the buyer would pay for it. But you'd still basically want to get a third party involved in making sure both the item and payment go through. Here's the old half/vr/ image on how they had it working with their constant BST threads.

Any chance you'd care to write up a brief description for Type-0 and Lord of Arcana if you're still around? Provided they seem like worthy additions to ?

On that note, wasn't Lord of Arcana the second game in some series the west never saw the other two entries for, or am I remembering wrong?

Think some anons might caution against Lunar PSP. Something about it having an added prologue that spoils various stuff.

I keep seeing these games recommended but I can't read moon, are there fan translations or something that would help me get into the games. Or is it a series where you can get by without reading moon?

There's four 7th Dragon games at this point: 7th Dragon (DS), 7th Dragon: 2020 (PSP), 7th Dragon 2020-II (PSP), and 7th Dragon: VFD (3DS). As of now, all of them but 7th Dragon 2020-II are in English, with the first two having been fan-translated and the last actually having been officially brought over.

I don't remember anything about that, like the only bad thing i remember from the PSP version was the game being too easy but that can be fixed by using only the starter gear.

nicoblog.org/psp/7th-dragon-2020-english-patched/

Psp has a very nice comfy catalogue. Just play dracula x chronicles recently and despite the cancer tier art style, I had a really good time with it.

Admittedly there is a difference between the art of the PC-Engine original and the PSP version, I wouldn't call Kojima's art or style "cancer." Hell, if anything fans lament the fact that she was dropped from doing the art of Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin in favor of generic anime designs.

Seconding Nayuta

Truth be told I'm only 8-10% into both games so far. But I did get FF-T0 rec from vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/PSP , Lord of Arcana was mainly because it was on the top dls from emuparadise.

For LoA, the camera controls just like MonHun and the field item usage is the same as God Eater. You take quests from a guild in a hub like MonHun for money, exp and materials for crafting.
The battle system is simple, you walk around in the dungeon and hit enemies to get teleported to an arena. There's one button combo spam and 2 more for specials and magic. You hold X to raise your shield and flick the analog to quickstep, the lock on system makes it incredibly easy. The game did warn me that only some weapons allowed shields and if I used them that it would slow me down, have no idea what it meant.

Weapons are limited to one handed swords, two handed greatswords, maces, polearms and firelances (magic firing thingy). Seems pretty basic but I get the feel that it develops more with different combos and special attacks.
Build up your attacks and you get a special ultimate attack, the one I had in the tutorial made me summon a giant dragon which spit a giant fireball. You will be able to equip different supers later on. There's also a finisher button which gets annoying after a while because it tilts your camera to hell until you do it.

Bosses get different colored lock on icons in certain body parts, if I'm not mistaken yellow means crit damage and blue means you can chop it off.
There is 4 player multiplayer but I have no idea how it works.

TL;DR ARPG with big weapons, nice combos, good visuals and a pretty good soundtrack. MonHun hub for items and quests, God Eater gameplay speed and big monsters with wings and tails to be chopped. Plot is something about you being the chosen lord to be crowned but need more power or something alike.

Thanks user. I'll just be waiting for that thread to pop up.

>nicoblog.org/psp/7th-dragon-2020-english-patched/
Thanks user, just played it for about 3 hours straight, probably the most fun i've had with a psp game since the star ocean 2 remake

Thanks for the description. I'll see if I can toss anything together for a tab for it in a bit.

This seem workable?

Also, did some looking into it to be able to provide some additional information. I can certainly see how the soundtrack would be good, given it's got Uematsu as one of the composers and Hitoshi Sakamoto as sound director.

Some anons in them have already been trying to figure out how exactly to try to get a BST sort of thing going on here. I might be wrong, but I think half/vr/ did have the jannies/mods keep an eye on things to make sure people didn't get fucked over.

Really enjoyed the first three acts of CGS (the character art and spriting were also pretty good). Shame the fourth act was so bad and ends with an assload of unanswered questions due to never getting a sequel.

For anyone who cares, I made an icon anc background for Supercross on the PS1 for PSX2PSP.

Anybody here use/setup Adhocparty?

Might be fun to try some games out with you spegs.

I really don't get the appeal of prinny games.
I played prinny 1 and it was just a kind of boring platformer

Does anybody know what kind of settings (I'm using handbrake) I need to look out when converting video for my PSP?

Manual said it can read mpeg-4 files, and while the handheld can recognize the files I convert in the XMB menu, it cant read them at all.

Holy fuck i didn't even know the Go could do this. Looks like i have a new set up to work on.

I made a few more.

Hell no.

Any reason why I shouldn't just play this on PS2?

It plays like other games in the series.

What batteries don't suck for this thing? I've gone through more than 4.

Is the framerate that bad?

Well, you can play the PSP version anywhere. Isn't that the point of handhelds? What kind of stupid question is that.

If it's not any different from the PS2 version, then I'll just play the PS2 version. The PSP offers more than just portable versions of games. Plenty of ports have some form of additional content.

It's not a stupid question at all.

It has WLAN multiplayer.

That and the control scheme.

Is it that shitty?

Just download it and find out, a download from emuparadise takes like 4 minutes tops.

Not sure if it's from the PSP or emulated, but there's this.

S I L K Y S M O O T H

Oh hey look at that. I'm blowing through the first game, I wish the enemies were more horrifying considering they are bundles of cells. I wish I had the autism for bullet crafting because it seems like it can get really nitty gritty

Enjoy your censored port.

Do you think it will be that bad? Worst comes to worse I could just snag the fan translation for the one on psp. The first one seems like it skirted under the radar.

Yeah, good stuff user. Where did you find that cover art? Looks pretty nice.

As smooth as frozen butter.

When is KHH going to release the english patch for the first Kurohyōu(PSP Yakuza) game?

I have never played a Yakuza game, do they have overarching stories?

These are spinoffs so you can play them withour prior knowledge of the series.

I've got like 3000 hours in the first one and about 1000 in the sequel
I just can't get enough of it

Bump

I just googled for the US cover and that popped up.

The main series ones do. I think the spinoffs are their own thing though.

They still likely need to do proofreading/editing, as well as hacking and debugging. Admittedly I'm not real up to date on their progress though, so maybe some of that's already done.

I use PRO Online from time to time.

I liked them because they are challenging.

wololo.net/2014/12/19/high-quality-video-encoding-for-psp-with-handbrake-by-reprep/

Japanese ones from amazon.

Nobody knows, such is the life of vidya fansubs.

Bump.

The guy that makes the threads apparently decided to do so early this month.

Just figured I might give you a heads up.

How is Tenchu Kurenai? Is the draw distance as bad as the other PSP Tenchu/Shinobido games?

Best tenchu game on psp, no problems with draw distance, only has slow downs when 4-5 or more enemies are engaged at the same time.

Combat is a bit slow compared to ps2 version, cut scenes are a little blurry and are pre rendered instead of being done in game, but the experience is all there, even has costumes not included in the ps2.

So lets say I wanna buy a PSP and start a physical games collection for some of them, while also putting ISOs on a 64GB microSD card, what specific model of PSP do I need? I have plenty of game ISOs already downloaded, about 50GB worth.

PSP 3000 because the PSP Go has no UMD drive.

Honestly the only reason to ever collect physical PSP games is for decoration purposes because ISO's run way better than UMD's.

ah okay, thanks. Is it pretty easy to CFW a 3000 then?

Yes.

oh sweet. Thanks, anything else I should know about maybe the internal battery life or something such as that?

Honestly, UMDs have a good number of issues to them. I can understand wanting physical copies of games you like (I do that myself for a number of systems where prices are feasible), but with the PSP, there's not much point. Plus, the west doesn't even have that addon for the Vita Japan has to let you burn games from UMDs onto the Vita memory card either, or however it works (which would get around the issue of various PSP games having no PSN releases.

My 3000's got pretty decent battery life, and interestingly enough, if the battery runs out while playing, the system seems to enter a psuedo-sleep or something instead of turning directly off, because when I've charge mine back up before and turned it on, the game was right back where it was. Still, it's a good idea to keep tabs on the battery level so that doesn't have to happen in the first place.

I've heard some people complain about trying to find replacement batteries. Haven't had any experiences with that myself though, since I got one of the last new model 3000's they had at Target a few years back, so mine still works fine.

Please dont ever post that disapointment agian. Fuck, ime still mad. The eve series was pretty great and that title was a complete buchering of it.

I never knew UMDs were so shitty, a shame. At least I can get all these ISOs.

I see, I'll see if I can grab hold of a replacement battery when I buy a 3000, just to have as a sort of failsafe. Thanks for all the info!

actually, quick question. Is there a microsd adapter that's most compatible with the 3000? Most of what i'm seeing people are saying its for their 1000/2000

It's the same shit across the board.

right-o then. Thanks.

It's usually loading issues and extra battery drain from running UMDs to my knowledge. Some games have it worse off than others, but for the most part, digital ISOs are favorable compared to the UMDs themselves. And while the PSP itself is region free (for playing games anyhow; I think UMD movies were still region locked), a CFW system lets you play fan translations, avoid import fees, and you can even toss PS1 eboots (be they copies of official PSN releases or custom converted ones) right on there with no need for a separate emulator; in nearly every case a PS1 game will work as an eboot (though there is the issue of whether a game was L2/R2/Right Analog heavy, as the PSP lacks those functions directly), though there are a few like Dragon Warrior VII that apparently have issues.

Just note that PS1 eboots, and emulators (with their associated folder hierarchies) go in the GAME folder, while PSP games themselves go in the ISO folder.

ah okay then, and as for memory, will it recognize beyond a 64gb card in, say, this thing? Or could I get one of those dual-combo memory doohickeys and put two 64GB cards in. If I could do the latter, would the PSP read it as one 128GB card, or two separate 64GB entities?

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall hearing that you can make a 64 GB card with two 32 GB micro SDs. Not sure if you can go above that though. The PSP should treat it all as being a single card (and I expect if you get a regular SD-to-USB adaptor to load games onto it, your PC should treat it as one card as well). That said, I just use a standard 32 GB SD card with mine, so maybe take that with a grain of salt and wait until someone that uses the micro SDs can give you a response.

Worth noting that the more you put on the card, the more slowdown the XMB will have (even my 32 GB card lags a bit as it loads the game section). But that's only the XMB. There's no slowdown within the actual games as far as my experiences have gone, and hell, with some PS1 games, playing them digitally reduces the loading noticeably compared to playing them via disc and a PS1/PS2/PS3 (Koudelka for instance; PSP eboot reduces the loading a lot).

The PSP battery is pretty shitty by design but you can find generic replacements for cheap, i personally never had problems with generic batteries like this amazon.com/Slim-Rechargeable-PSP-2000-3000-Compatible/dp/B0037U7CQK/ref=pd_sim_63_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31rR9XhX4bL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=JYVVMDV8CBXTJCH7PE0B

If you disregard the retarded story the game is pretty good on it's own, specially if you are playing on higher difficulties with top tier mutagen combinations.

Proper PE3 never ever.

The battery is the worst offender, like after a full charge i can play ISO's on my PSP 3000 for like 3 hours but if i use UMD's can barely play for 1 hour.

I urge you to not go full retard with memory size, specially with dual adapters because they will fuck up your memory port eventually due unstable frequencies.

Get a single slot adapter for a 32GB/64GB SD, also the SD card needs to be class 4 or higher to work.

XMB slowdown won't bug me much as long as the games run fine.

I see then, i'll do that single slot adapter thing then. I've got about 50GB worth of games, though I need to sift through a few and delete a couple I didn't like anyway. Thanks a ton user!

Anybody got a working version of DDR 4th or 5th mixes in eboot form? Everything I've tried has failed, but there's videos of it working.

Goddamn, Ys Seven was fun as fuck, if a bit easy.
Nice picks, user.

Glad you enjoyed 7, be sure to check the other Ys aswell specially Oath in Felghana.

Also check Gurumin too, it even has an undub version nicoblog.org/psp/gurumin-a-monstrous-adventure-undub/

Care to write some blurbs about Gungnir and Nayuta no Kiseki, so might be able to add them to the image up there in the future? Also, how does Breath of Fire III PSP compare with the PS1 original?

Same exact game, ported without changes to the PSP, except I think they just widened the visible area because PSP has a wide screen

Wasn't there also something about more fishing or something? And did it use the same translation script as the original?

That's not the case for any PS1 game ported to the PSP.

gamefaqs.com/boards/196817-breath-of-fire-iii/55291244

Pretty sure Tales of Eternia PSP is more or less the same, minus the option for co-op and an added ingame battery gauge. Maybe some button remapping as well.

Anyhow, going off that link, it sounds as if they changed a fair bit, and not all of it for the better (stuff like having to change Stallion to not be so Ultramanish and making some things easier). Does it still seem worth putting up there despite that?

i really liked exile, that strategy rpg series. the avernum remakes arent bad either, ups and downs to them. good for someone like me who has something wrong with his brain preventing him from enjoying second playthroughs of most games.
master of magic is pretty rad, its a shame nothing ever really carried the torch.
age of wonders is a sort of spiritual successor in some ways. i generally prefer it over homm but i love that too.
pokemon mystery dungeon. pokemon and roguelikes, its a match made in heaven

Might be wrong, but I think you've got the wrong thread.

hell yeah i do

is the castlevania: dracula X psp version actually the saturn version from japan will all the stuff or is it the butcherd version from ps1?

Worse. PS1 edition redubbed, no longer "So bad it's hilarious", now just "Shit."

Tried asking this in another thread, didn't get anything:
Is this stuttering caused by a compressed ISO? (using a .cso file to run god of war)
What do I do with the .bin.cue files that the PSX games come in? I can't run them.

This… This is off to an incredible start…

So are you gonna make a WWE dream-team that body slams trashmobs and trashtalks bosses?

Okay, so. You're using a 2-card stick. DON'T. That shit will burn out your card slot. With how cheap 64GB SD cards are getting, don't risk it.

Secondly,. compressed ISOs might be causing part of the issue, but it'd be a bigger problem when loading if anything. Try with an uncompressed ISO and report back.

PSX games have to be compiled into an EBOOT to run. emuparadise has almost everything you're likely looking for.

I'm going to assume you're new to PSP stuffs. What firmware are you running? You can check on the "System Information" under the "System" header.

I'm using a 2 card stick too, have any sources of them burning out memory slots? I've been using mine for a year with no problems on my PSP 3004 with 6.20

see

As I said, with how inexpensive mSD is, there's really no point. Also, the PSP can read 128GB on latest firmware. There is no way a PSP reasonably needs more than that.

Well shit

I'd like a more thorough explanation, if possible. I'm using two 64 GB sticks.

Playing these, Toukiden has probably the best graphics out of any PSP game. BRS is fun and it doesn't have a cringy dub, it keeps the jap voices.

GoW was on a single 4GB SanDisk stick. Uploading a shitton of games and emulators onto a 16GB mini in the adapter ala . I've only skimmed these threads out of interest, never nnoticed people saying anything bad about these things except that it's limited to 64GB

Stuttering occurs during all cutscenes and between areas, so I'm certain it's loading.
Ran Killzone Liberation and Tony Hawk Proskater 2 off the same stick and they ran perfectly fine (although the framerate on Killzone was kinda iffy at times).

Found a PSX2PSPv1.4.2 tool on isozone, will give it a go later on.

Yeah, I'm new, just bought that used blue psp in the video. Some kid had it, scratched to shit, screen dirty on the inside, Dpad squeaky, memory card adapter cracked… But it already had the 6.60 CFW loaded onto it and it cost me cca 40 dollarydoos.

Forgot to say thanks for the advice.
I seem to have trouble finding memory stick duo cards in local shop right now (online). I can see a dual adapter for 7 bucks, but it's the same dual one that may cause trouble.

D-Pads are always squeaky with the PSP. Even my 3000 has a squeak. That's normal.

Current Firmware is 6.61, BTW. The changes is miniscule, but if you ever intend on using the official PSN store, you'll need it. Thankfully with the current CFW, you can go back to OFW by fully powering off and back on.

I mentioned emuparadise for PSX Eboots because most of what you're likely wanting is already converted. The only hard to find stuff is more obscure Japanese releases. I should probably upload my Policenauts eboot.

Your basic single-card adapter should be like, a Dollar from Hong Kong.

Is there any CTF theme that changes the memory stick game selection? Something like the ppsspp game selection menu

And what if I only use one micro sd at a time?

Yes please, that would be great. I already have Snatcher on Picodrive.

Bump for posterity.
Also based Vinny.

4U

But does it have a cringy translation? I feel the need to ask, given NISA.

I'm pretty sure there's a homebrew program out there to better organize how things are displayed, but I haven't had any experience with it.

I asked in the other thread, but does anyone know if you can upgrade straight from 5.00 M33-6 to the latest PRO CFW?

You can get a blurb from this rpgfan.com/reviews/Gungnir/

I highly recommend having several save slots for Gungnir specially on Advanced+ because some battles can be impossible to win if you have shit level/gear, i warned a friend about this but he went full retard and got himself into an unwinnable battle that fucked up his save file with over 30 hours.

ARPG that feels a lot like a Ys game(specially 7) with fast-paced gameplay and beautiful art design.

I honestly don't remember much about the story but it's not like it matters since the main attraction here is the fun gameplay.

Didn't saw that many changes from the PS1 just a couple of weird re-translations.

Oh and for whatever reason the PSP sounds better overall than the PS1 version.

SotN is a shittier re-localization, Rondo of Blood is a port from the PC engine.

Your memory card is dying, your memory slot is dying, you have a shitty iso or you have conflicting plugins.

I used to work at a tech modding shop and 9 of 10 PSP memory related failures was due chink dual SD adapters.

You could probably find it on wololo or gbatemp but basically shitty chink adapters have unstable frequencies and transfer speeds that cause a lot of stress for the PSP memory slot.

Dual SD adapters were never meant for PSP usage, they were made for Sony cameras.

Toukiden looks nice but it's way too easy or at least it was during the 10 or so hours i've played.

You can buy a new case and replaced it by yourself, it's not that hard honestly and some cases even include the tools needed for replace it.

Several but there is also a plugin that allows you to put your vidya into custom folders wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7371

Yes you can but you need to remove whatever CFW you have right now, i recommend you to stick with 6.60 since 6.61 breaks some plugins and there are no updates on sigh.

I seem to have the worst luck when it comes to PSP screens. Both my 1000 and Go either have mold (my best guess) or dust trapped underneath the backlight. With that being said, how hard is it to replace the screen on a Go? I found some instructions online and it looks like a major pain in the ass.

what now

BAZINGA
buy used?

Just modded a PSP. What can I do with a modded one?

So far I have the Tenchu series, The Phantasy Star Series, and Disgaea on it.

What else would you recommend? Also, what besides ISOs should I do with a modded PSP?

Downloaded it, enjoying the fuck out of it.

Excellent recommendation kind sir.

Plugins for music, video, themes, etc. nicoblog.org/psp/the-best-psp-plugins-collection/

Emulators wololo.net/emulators-for-the-psp-ps-vita-the-ultimate-download-list/

PSX2PSP works fine, even on Linux.
Here are icons and backgrounds for two of the Destruction Derby games that can be used with it, use them for guidance with dimensions.

On a side note, does anyone know a decent DL site for PSP themes?

Must play PS1 games?

I need some help here with my psp. I've been trying to replace my screen, but the plastic latch that held the connector pins in place broke off and now it's near-impossible to get a good image from my screen. Any ideas?
Who's the dumbass that came up with the idea to use flimsy plastic for a latch?

Check PS1 charts.

Too many to choose from

What dumbass decided to take apart a device without reading proper disassembly guides and being near-paranoid careful

Too many charts or too many games?

Really depends on what you like genre/gameplay wise though.

It's hard to get a single source for themes since most websites focused on PSP themes are just abandoned or completely ded.

Here is a pack nicoblog.org/psp/6-60-ctf-best-themes-collection-download/ if you need more you will have to put your google fu to use.

That's subjective user, just check some PS1 charts and play whatever catches your eye.

Here try our very own chart.

test

Might as well try posting it if this is the one you're thinking of.

boku no test

Buy a used one, or use PPSSPP, as it should run on any toaster

Made some for Gungnir and Nayuta, as well as tweaking the description for BoF III some.

Yeah that's the one i was trying to post.

Hopefully more anons will give Gungnir and specially Nayuta no Kiseki a try.

How is the fan translation quality for Nayuta anyhow? Did it get touched up from "machine translated" by anyone that actually knows Japanese?

Allegedly yes but i haven't heard about any major re-translation patch from the team yet, i honestly doubt well see it anytime soon.

que?
Is hte battery malfunctioning or is this standard procedure for PSP to prevent data/progress loss?

yes, I know I have a slightly pleb taste, I can't into the artistic peak of game genres that is JRPG

Mine's done so before, but I'm pretty sure it was below 25% left. But yeah, when it charged back up some, I turned it on to check something and the game I was playing at the time was right back where I left it, without progress having been killed by an empty battery.

bump7

Can anybody get Vib Ribbon to work on psp? I downloaded an eboot from both emu and nicoblog, both times I got error code 7777777 or something like that. I also tried converting my own eboot but the game would freeze after a couple seconds

You need to re-charge the battery "emergency supply bar" before playing because that bar keeps you from losing your progress if you ran out of regular battery power mid-game.

Literally nothing wrong with God of War, well God of War Current Year: Tales of my Wife's Son looks pretty shitty.

If you liked God of War you could try Dante's Inferno next since it's pretty much Christian God of War, after that you should try to play better action games like Ys 7, Ys Oath in Felghana, Gurumin and Nayuta no Kiseki.

Try a different popsloader version.

3.90: Crashes after the initial menus are bypassed (graphical crash). By 2PS
4.01 m33-2 Works perfectly. Tracks play. Now for the next challenge of getting custom tracks to play.

The important thing to remember about the PSP battery is that it is a NiMH, so lots of small charges are better for its longevity than charging from near dead to full over and over.

Correction, it's Li-Ion. Same rule though, it's better for it to avoid getting that low.

Hmmm, that sucks about the memory cards, should a 128 gb microSD and a single slot adapter be all right?

Should be so long as your base OFW is current.

I've heard good things about that. Too bad Namco never bothered with bringing the subseries west after RM1, and all it has is a menu patch at this point to my knowledge. Considering how little demand there is for the escort titles here (the west's experiences with them haven't been that good thus far, being that we've only had RM1, Tales of Symphonia 2, and an april fools fan translation of Tales of the Tempest), I kind of doubt it will ever see a full patch.

ok, so I tried playing parodius portable and it froze and then shut off my psp. Now my psp freezes then shuts off after a couple seconds of loading cfw, it also makes a little clicky sounds when it goes off. what the fuck did I do

Updated to 6.60 OFW no problem. Thanks.

Not sure which CFW to use now. I believe it is possible to dual boot 6.60 LME and 6.60 PRO-C2 so I am looking into it.

Yes.

If you are going 128GB you are going to need a recent OFW, i recommend you to stick with 6.60 since 6.61 breaks some plugins.

Also don't forget that the SD needs to be at least class 4.

Yeah the Radiant Mythology games are pretty good mostly due semen demons and gameplay.

It's a shame but hey, at least the games are perfectly playable with just english menus.

Hopefully someday will see the sequels fully translated and the first game undubbed.

PSP model?
are you using legit Pro Duo memory or adapter?
which CFW and what version?
from where did you got the ISO?

Well i personally prefer PRO-C2 due better game compatibility overall and online play capabilities.

LME it's better for plugins, specially for fan translated games like project diva or kingdom hearts.

If I wished to play VC3, would PRO-C2 be the better choice or would LME be the better choice?

I have a pro duo micro sd adapter with a 32gb card.
660 pro-c
got it off emu, but I converted it to cso with umdgen.

Always kind of annoyed me back when I first saw it.

Anyhow, given how there's other undubs for various other PSP games out there (Star Ocean PSP, Tales of Eternia, etc), I kind of thing it wouldn't be too hard to do so for RM1. Maybe the demand for doing so just hasn't been there (I've heard RM1 is rather poor compared to RM2 and 3)?

I expect the issue in regards to fan translating RM2 and 3 is having to get each character's manner of speaking down just right in the text (which one would probably have to play the game a given character is from in English, be it localized or fan translated first). I mean not every character in the series uses straight up plain English (Raven has a rather easy going and informal manner of speech, for instance), and in some cases there's characters from games like Destiny 2 and Rebirth that have never had a finished English release or patch anyhow. And you'd have to do so for not just the playable characters, but ones that might just be NPCs/enemies as well. Just strikes me that it would probably take some real dedication for someone to wind up doing.

Works On My Machine™

Use this ISO emuparadise.me/PSP_ISOs/Parodius_Portable_(Japan)/156560-download

I played the game just fine on PRO-C2, you can get the game from here nicoblog.org/psp/valkyria-chronicles-3-extra-edition-english-patched/

The only games i haven't been able to play on PRO-C2 are the Diva Project fan-translated games, for whatever reason those games always crash on PRO-C2 but not on LME.

I do think it's all about demand more than anything, i mean some autist is already translating this iwakuraproductions.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/the-fateextra-ccc-translation-project/ and that shit is nothing but mountains of text.

Radiant 1 is not bad but it didn't do well outside of japan because the dub was trash, Namco sucks dick at advertising and well, they simply don't care enough about dirty gaijin shekels.

yeah but now my cfw always freezes, how do I fix that? do i need to re format my sd or reinstall the cfw or someten

So are there H-games on the PSP

I think Sony didn't allow that directly for PSP games, but I think I've heard some people got around that by basically making interactive UMD movies as ports of eroge.

The way I see it, demand can go two ways. Either there's enough of an existing fanbase that wants it in English (IE: various Final Fantasy games the west hadn't gotten), or someone out there is devoted enough to a given game/series out of personal interest to give it time and energy to translating and patching it, even if the potential audience to play the finished patch is rather small (AT2's retranslation, for example) or the game more or less an outright unknown out here (numerous games/series that never came west at all and aside from moonspeakers wouldn't have an existing playerbase here anyhow prior to being patched), simply because it's a game they think more people should be able to play in their native language.

I still think it's ridiculously how long it took Namco to learn how to properly market Tales. You'd think that after seeing how Nintendo handled making Symphonia a success here they'd have learned something, but no, they seemed content to just try to let Legendia and Abyss slide on Symphonia's momentum, and it took until Xillia for them to really give marketing more than a minimal effort, and surprise surprise, it sold really well.

Of course, that's not just an issue exclusive to Tales. I mean, Namco's the company that thought making Klonoa sound like an STD back in the PS1 era was wise, and then bundled the Wii remake with a coupon for fish tacos as if that was a good incentive.

I was wondering of a nip made homebrew but do you know of any of these interactive movies

Not off the top of my head, sorry. Plus, if you're looking for any in English, I'd say it's a pretty fat chance of there being any that were translated for it, be it officially or fan done. Maybe someone else can clarify though. Just going off of what I recalled reading in a past thread.

I never had the need to reinstall 6.60 CFW's to fix freezing issues, in my case it was just a couple of plugins fucking shit up.

Try this
If this doesn't work backup your files, format the memory and reinstall PRO-C.

My bet it's on the adapter being a bitch.

Hentai gameplay? No.
Games with UMD Hentai videos? Yes.

What the fuck.

pic related

Some fish taco chain called "Wahoo." Buy the game, get a free taco. It was a naming connection stunt. I don't think it worked well, namely since they only had locations in certain areas.

Thanks user

Thanks for the battery tips and vidya suggestions.
shit yeah, I'll finally be able to try it out for myself.
Little tip I've just figured out: if you're using a dedicated downloading software like JDownloader 2, you can simply Right Click - A (Copy Link Location) a game title instead of finding the download page to add it to the download list.

As for my "plebian" taste: I've noticed that I've only downloaded western games and franchises that I've enjoyed in the past. Looking at the collection right now, it looks nothing like the suggested PSP lists in this or any other PSP thread. But I'm not going to try to "fit in". My taste, my games. Sure, I'll try out new stuff, but I'm not going to force myself to play something I don't like just to "belong".

Again, thanks for all the help.

Click isn't something to be too concerned over. That's just the laser quickly moving to a safe position due to the sudden power loss I think.

PSP emulator + Dualshock 4 = comfy as fuck big screen experience.

Pics related are my guilty pleasures. I used to carry my PSP around with these games and mini-game my time away.

nec7

Kuroneko > Saori > Kirino = Ayase >>> Manami

Last question from me: are you running the 14-02-2015 PRO-C2 build or the original PRO-C2 build?

Yes that's the one i'm using.

I'm currently trying out the beta builds for The Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion. It's pretty sad that this got canned, i wonder if a more complete build exists somewhere?
Here's a link: yadi.sk/d/z2kEgqemsMfBP

I see that you have Gradius Collection but Salamander Portable is just as important if you enjoy Konami shooters as well as being the only modern release containing Gradius 2 (not to be confused with Gradius II, different game) which remained mostly forgotten and still kinda is, this is an enhanced version of the MSX original release, it slightly improves the graphics and colors as well as the choppy scrolling from the original. Not as good as the X68000 version but still great.

bump

In the past PPSSPP used to have trouble running multiplayer in Monster Hunter, with everyone involved having to lower their framerates to 25% while loading the quest or something silly like that. Did that ever get fixed?

Just don't speed up or slowdown the emulator when huntan.

Check this pastebin.com/GaKfEChk

Isn't 3rd HD for the PS3?

Yes but it can be played on PPSSPP.

nicoblog.org/psp/monster-hunter-portable-3rd-hd-english-patched/

So they fixed it? May have to try that later

Is there a version without the English patch?

Play Peace Walker HD on your PS3. We need more soldiers.

No idea.

bump

Hey babes, I bought a PSP and it's already homebrewed, it's currently running 5.50 Prome-2

What should I do to update it? What do I need?

There's way too much info on psp homebrew and I'm completely fucking lost

No there isn't.

wololo.net/cfw4dummies/

My problem is that mine is already homebrewed, and not by me
That's info to install it clean

Check again user, follow through the steps so you can understand them, even if you have them done already. If something goes south you can always know why and know what to do to fix it.

What do you want to know?

I don't know what any of that means?
My CFW is permanent, I don't have to reinstall it every time I reboot
That section has nothing to do with my situation, it just gives me more info about things that I don't use

Non permanent CFW doesn't require a reinstall per se. You just have to press it like you're booting up a game. You loose some 3-5 seconds, less if you've removed the splash screen.
I have no clue if it benefits more since I don't use permanent.

Doesn't really matter to me, I'm already on permanent CFW, and I might as well keep it going as it is

What is this? Is it any good? I ask becuase it has an english patch.

Probably not

>Implying most of PSP's enjoyable games aren't weebstuff
user-kun come one now

I keep making this mistake what the fuck is wrong with me.

==JUST== relax

Well fuck me

You are not my friend, my friend. You are my brother.

Can anybody tell me what should I do to update my 5.50 Prome-2 PSP 2000 to a newer firmware?

please

user are you literally fucking retarded? just gave you everything on a silver plater and you're still bitching.

Which means someone already asked and all you have to do is look it up.

Learn how to read and stop trying to get spoonfed faggot.

I already said that I already have a CFW, I need to upgrade my custom CFW, not the default none homebrewed one

That guide has nothing to do with what I'm trying to do for fucks sake

Should I update my current CFW to the non-homebrew 6.60? Is that going to break my console? Will I have to wipe all my data?

There's a reason I didn't use that guide, it's because it has none of the answers I'm looking for, I'm not fucking retarded user

how many armored core games does the psp have. Ive been thinking of playing through the series

A quick glance suggests four on the PSP, a lot of them being ports. There's also AC1 as a PSN rerelease.

There's also this in regards to Formula Front:

5 actually, you are forgetting about FF International. It was released only on japan but it has an english option for some reason.

I beat formula front using the ai since I didn't gel with the controls. Fun game. Give the controls a shot though. I was 19 at the time and not as patient or open minded as i am now.

jesus breakdancing christ

Either stick with what you have if you're that fucking paranoid
OR
-backup the save data
-backup the roms/ISOs
-format card
-follow the guide on wololo to use the latest CFW for your PSP model (or second to latest, just to have the most stable one)

Sucks we didn't get Grand Knights History officially released

At least it got fan translated.

The fan translation is good enough.

nicoblog.org/psp/grand-knights-history-english-patched/

Hey babes, I updated my firmware to 6.60 PRO and now some of my buttons don't work anymore when in game

It seems like most of the problems are with the home menu, but also stuff in game

Anybody know what this is about? I knew I shouldn't have updated fug

What the fuck!? My left shoulder button is cracked on the surface and i barely use my PSP. I looked thisbup online and it has happened to many others, and 'm EXTRA careful with it.

It's worthless without the online feature

I am incredibly retarded.

fucking gnomes man

Does anyone here know how to circumvent DJ Max Portable 3's anti-piracy measures?

Bump, I'm having this problem
forums.dashhacks.com/psp-help/302489-home-button-wont-quit-games-help-request.html

What should I do?
pls halp

Bump.

My recovery mode screen doesn't allow me to select anything. I don't have a VSH anymore and my home menu to exit games is completely fucked.

There is no fucking info anywhere on the fucking internet on how this crap works, what the fuck do I do

nicoblog.org/psp/dj-max-portable-3-usa/

Something went wrong during the CFW install, you need to redo the whole installation but don't try to use your old saves or anything, do the whole installation from scratch.

I actually found out that nothing was working before my L button was stuck down.
One single button was fucking up everything.

I can't seem to repair it myself so I guess I'll have to trash the whole PSP.

I'm not even sure if I should bother buying another one, 40 euros for a used PSP is still excessive

PSP emulation is so good now that you should just get a DS4 and play from your couch, user.

Thanks user

The whole point of a PSP is playing a bunch of games from different consoles in the comfort of your bed or on the go
why the fuck would I play games designed to be portable on couch

It can be played both ways. What there really needs to be is a program written that syncs up with the PSP and transfers over save game data between it and PPSSPP semi-automatically (you'd have to initiate it from a homebrew app on the PSP) - so that you can pretty much instantly jump from MonHun or PSP2 on your TV to portable and back again as seamlessly as possible.

In all honesty fixing consoles is not that hard if you actually put some effort, if you feel like trying check this ifixit.com/Device/Sony_Handheld_Console

If you don't feel like fixing the PSP yourself you could just sell it cheaper to someone willing to do it.

Actually 40 euros is not so bad, i bought my last one for around $70(pic related) and i don't regret it at all because the PSP is a well made console that can last many years.

There is no program like that but some PSP saves work on PPSSPP and vice versa.

PSP was used, one of the screws is almost completely fucked. Tried to get it out but the screwdriver wasn't even turning.

Dunno, I'll see next paycheck of I want to get one or not.

I like my PSP because of its portability and accuracy playing PSP games retard.

There are ways to get screws out even if they're partially stripped (hell, sometimes if they're completely stripped). A magnetic-tipped screwdriver can help, but be careful with magnetic stuff around electronic devices.

Good luck.

While PPSSPP allows you to play from your couch some PSP titles that are just not that comfy to play on the PSP itself(lack of dual analogs)in my opinion the real console offers a more enjoyable experience since you can play on the go and specially in bed.

Use some WD-40.

Am I missing something? It's an ancient PSP 1000 with OFW 2.60, do later firmwares add MP3 support or is it just the fact my PSP was a 3000 model?

I'm not really into the RPG genre, but I know that PSP is loaded with JRPGs of all sorts. Any entry level recommendations?
Wild Arms?
Breath of Fire?
Phantasy Star?
The only RPG I've ever played from start to finish was Paper Mario on N64

Check the ID's fam, quads is not the one having problems with his PSP.

Jesus, you need to update that thing user.

Final Fantasy IV, Lunar, Star Ocean and Chrono Trigger are pretty friendly to newcomers to the genre.

nicoblog.org/psp/chrono-trigger-usa-psn/
nicoblog.org/psp/final-fantasy-iv-complete-collection/
nicoblog.org/psp/star-ocean-first-departure-usa/
nicoblog.org/psp/lunar-silver-star-harmony-usa-undub/

If you feel like going the extra mile you could emulate FF4 and Chrono Trigger with Higan on your PC.

Are you wanting general ideas for places to start, or just ones that can be played on a PSP without need of a seperate emulator (IE: PSP ISOs and PS1 eboots)?

Might be wrong, but doesn't Chrono Trigger PS1 have some rather annoying loading issues compared to the SNES and DS versions, or is that resolved by playing it digitally as an eboot as opposed to from the disc?

I haven't re-played CT on PSP yet but according to my friend load times are not much of an issue if you are using the eboot.

As much as I love a good RPG there's something about the lack of interactivity between me and the game that just makes me only play it for some 30 minutes before switching to another game.

What are your choices of action/adventure games anons? Right now I'm playing through FF-T0, Dissidia, MonHun3 and Lord Of Arcana.

You do know that there's some turn-based RPGs that go beyond standard menu-only combat, and get the player more involved in the combat process, right (admittedly not all that much, but still some)? Not to mention real-time combat RPGs as well.

Just saying.

I know user, the first RPG (sorta) I ever played was Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and unfortunately it set the bar at little high.
I'm going through FF VII as well. Having never played a single FF before the no turn combat feels nice too but it still makes me only play it for an hour or so.

I still kind of class ATB systems in with turn-based combat, to a degree anyhow (basically the turns becoming active on a timer). But maybe that's just me. Anyhow, if you ever want more active player input for a turn-based JRPG, consider giving Paper Mario, Paper Mario: TTYD (this one's pretty nice about letting the player not only have more input in combat, but also interact with the audience itself, fighting stylishly to gain appeal, tossing disrespectful punks out, etc), and the Shadow Hearts series a go (which has a hand/eye testing "hit the target zones" sort of thing through the Judgment Ring, rather than a bunch of different action commands like Paper Mario). Neither series are PSP native (obviously for Paper Mario) though, and it strikes me as a shame they never did a PS3 or Vita collection of the Shadow Hearts games.

Try ARPG's like Ys Seven/Oath in Felghana, Gurumin, Nayuta no Kiseki, God Eater Burst, Phantasy Star Portable, Half-Minute Hero, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, 3rd Birthday, Radiant Mythology, Narakiri Dungeon X and Valkyria Chronicles.

He'll have to wait for Absolute Zero to finish with NDX, provided he wants to play it in English.

Thanks.
Anything that can be played on a PSP is good, emulated or otherwise.
I've started playing some RPGs and JRPGs a number of times, but never managed to finish them, it either gets too repetitive or I stop playing for a while and hen can't remember where to go when I load the save again. I've tried FF IV and VI (III), Chrono Trigger (SNES), Dragon Warrior 3 in GBC, Super Mario RPG and just remembered that I've also finished Terranigma, but I it's more of an action RPG than a traditional one. I riked it a rot.
Maybe that's the kind of game that would suck me into the genre more, one that's easier on the autism and is more action based. I've started playing Ys Seven yesterday and fell asleep in the port town, so it's checking all the traditional JRPG notes so far, but I know it's supposed to play more like Diablo/classic Ys title:

youtu.be/73XnZFOrVXQ?t=7m53s

Well, Chrono Trigger's fairly short unless you're going for alternate endings via NG+ (and even then each subsequent one's fairly short since you can carry over levels, techs, equipment, etc and generally the alternate endings are based on how far you got in the game when you opt to fight the final boss, and what all has happened and been resolved/not resolved yet). I doubt you'd get real burned out on an initial playthrough.

Anyhow, general advice from some copypasta I wrote for times like this: If you want some decent starting places, consider Final Fantasy VI (IV, V, and VII are also rather well liked), Dragon Quest (III, IV, and V tend to be fan favorites), Paper Mario (both the N64 and Gamecube ones; also Super Mario RPG for the SNES, though it’s not quite the same), Mario and Luigi (especially Superstar Saga on the GBA), and Chrono Trigger for Turn-based/ATB systems, and Tales of Eternia/Symphonia/Vesperia (playing through most of the localized games in the series, those have struck me as good starting points) and some of the Mana games if you want real time combat. Also plenty of other series (Baten Kaitos, Breath of Fire, Grandia, Legend of Heroes, Lost Kingdoms, Lufia, Lunar, Mother, Phantasy Star, SaGa, Shadow Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei, Star Ocean, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, Wild Arms, etc), as well as standalone games (Infinite Space, Lagrange Point, Radiant Historia, Rogue Galaxy, Skies of Arcadia, Vagrant Story, Xenoblade, Xenogears, etc) if you find yourself liking them.

Big thing to keep in mind is that there's a lot to pick from (even more if you're willing to look beyond the mainstream for more niche franchises like Atelier and Ar Tonelico, or go for fan translated ones as well, as they're popular to patch into English, even if it takes a long time to translate), and even if one particular series or gameplay style doesn't do it for you, try another one rather than writing them all off.

That’s also not taking into account the swath of tactical JRPGs as well: Dept. Heaven, Disgaea (as well as various other NIS tactical games like Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and Soul Nomad), Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Front Mission, Langrisser & Growlanser, Ogre Battle & Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, Super Robot Wars to name some.

End pasta.

JRPG doesn't exactly mean "Final Fantasy-esque" in gameplay/theme, though I suppose that's the stereotype. If you ask me, it's more of a "region of origin" designation, and you can apply further descriptor to them since they can cover a range of different gameplay and/or thematic styles (same with WRPGs).

(Will continue in next post)

Now, going off of what you directly mentioned earlier, I personally really enjoy Wild Arms, and WA1 and 2 are PSP compatible as eboots, while Wild Arms XF is a tactical JRPG spin off. I find them to be great, but I'm not entirely sure how well you'd like them if you find turn-based combat a turn off or something (Force and other related mechanics being the main thing distinguishing it combat-wise; some of the games did away with MP entirely for Force), but maybe the rest of the game might carry it for you. The series has a mixture of "weird west", fantasy, and sci-fi aesthetic in varying ratios, with the first not being something common in a lot of JRPGs. I'd say download the first one and give it a test (let the game sit on the title screen for a short while and you'll even get a prologue of the Fall of Arctica). Just don't mind the early 3D combat graphics much; the series improved a good bit in that department as it went on.

With Breath of Fire, the system saw a native port of Breath of Fire III (you could also toss a fan converted eboot of the PS1 original on there as well), while BoF IV is compatible as an eboot. Breath of Fire III is related to the prior two entries in its series (which have only been SNES, GBA, and VC); BoF I serves as an introduction of sorts to the sort of world the series is in, but is rather bland if you ask me. Breath of Fire II's better, but the official translation is fucking horrendous; thankfully there's now a fan retranslation patch for the SNES/SFC version of the game (which I've tried and failed to get working with an SNES emulator on my PSP). BoF III is great: In some ways a bit generic, but the execution is done really good and the game has a pretty comfy vibe to it. If you aren't liable to find a slow initial build up an issue, you might find it really enjoyable, but again, it shares a timeline with BoF I and II so you might want to look into those first (fuck that one tower in BoF I though with that time manipulating bitch).

I haven't given Phantasy Star a go just yet, so maybe someone else can advise you better there. What I do know is that you've got the four original turn-based entries for the Sega Master System and Genesis/MegaDrive (and of those I've heard pretty decent things about PSI and 2, and really good things about IV), and after that the series went more the action JRPG/MMO route with various entries like Phantasy Star Online I and II, Phantasy Star Universe, Phantasy Star Zero, etc (of those I've mostly heard about people reminiscing about PSO). Not real sure if they make good entry points.

Anyhow, there's a lot of classics between the NES, SNES, and PS1 as far as what the PSP can handle natively or through emulation (though I can't guarantee every SNES one will play all that well, since last I checked SNES emulation on the PSP was still a bit finicky; with the PS1 ones as well), but usually most systems have at least a few (barring the original Xbox). Also, if you expand beyond just what officially came west, you'll also find a fair bit more worthwhile games to potentially look into as well (even Square didn't bother bringing over all their games even back in their heyday, resulting in some like Live a Live and Treasure of the Rudras that had to be fan translated).

Very informative, thanks user.

No problem, hope you can get more into them. Admittedly JRPGs aren't for everyone, but as mentioned before, there's plenty to pick from, so if you don't like a particular one, try to determine what you didn't like about it and look into ones that either lack that element, or maybe did it better, even within the same series (if there is a series it's part of to begin with). Might also be good to keep in mind that just as there's some games/series you might want to use as entry points, some series might be better saved until later when you're a bit more familiar with things; much as I enjoy Tales of the Abyss, I wouldn't exactly consider it a good point of entry for Tales due to being rather different even if a solid (yet flawed) entry, to the point series fans are extremely love it or hate it about it, and regardless of if you like or dislike it, it might leave the wrong impression on someone new to the series in either direction.

Oh, and if you enjoyed Terranigma, to my knowledge Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia were by the same team and have similar themes, at least to a degree. I still need to give Quintet's stuff a go myself though; maybe when I'm done with the current games I'm playing.

Oh, and I'll also drop these here since you sounded interested to a degree in the Wild Arms series. Might be of use.

Dragon Quest 7 doesn't work though

I've heard that before myself, but I'm left wondering why exactly it doesn't work well as an eboot. I mean, a lot of other JRPGs and games in general seem to play just fine between native PSN releases and custom conversions for those without them, but what exactly prompts DQVII to dislike the format so much?

Well the only thing I can think of is that it's a game that came out later so maybe it has a different process to earlier games

Maybe, but wouldn't that also be a factor for other late PS1 games as well then? I mean, doing a quick check, the PS1 saw games in NA coming out for it clear through 2004, and DQVII was brought over in 2001.

I dunno, I was just throwing out of nothing but many of those even later games just used the same system as their prequels Ie Tony Hawk and FIFA

Wanted to try out the SNES titles, but the emulator keeps fucking up my PSP.
Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 mod froze up if I spent more than 4 seconds in the main menu. So I deleted it and replaced it with Snes9X EUPHORIA, which lets me spend as much time as I want in the main menu, but if I try to open the ROMS folder, it freezes up for 10 seconds and then turns PSP off. What gives?
Is there a way to launch LME Launcher for 660 on startup instead of

whoops, forgot to finish the last sentence
Is there a way to launch LME Launcher for 660 on startup instead of basically turning the console on and restarting it right afterwards?
And here's an… interesting title I've found while browsing Nicoblog. It's a mini called Dracula - Undead Awakening. It's kinda shit, but its perk system is ripped directly from Crimsonland, one of my favorite games (even if it is a white noise kind of game, it's still fun). Controls are a bit silly: you use the d-pad or analog stick (nub?) to move your character and Triangle, Circle, X, Square to shoot in different directions. Diagonals included. It's just a silly little game.

Well, admittedly I haven't messed around all that much with the SNES emulator on my PSP after finding out the retranslation of Breath of Fire had notable issues even getting through the Watercrown intro Ryusei added (it works just fine on the SNES emulator on my Wii in comparison), so maybe I'm not the best person to ask. But for the most part I was able to get the main "select rom" menu to work right, so long as the roms were the right ones. I did notice some issues where trying to highlight certain fan-translated roms in the menu (Glory of Heracles III, for example) would freeze the emulator, but upon downloading some different files (or just patching the roms myself), the issues would cease for highlighting individual titles. Just my take, but if you're adding fan-translated games to the ROM folder, maybe do so one at a time to make sure they take, lest you be left with a bunch the emulator gets stuck at when trying to select.

I'll take a look at my PSP in a few, provided the battery's charged, and fiddle with it and see what I'm using with mine. Just to double check though, what PSP model are you using, and you are running CFW, correct?

PSP 3004
Used
Bought it with the CFW installed (I'm ASSUMING that LME Launcher for 660 is part of the CFW)
If I don't launch LME, then I just get Corrupted Data squares on my memory stick menu and the custom theme only extendy to the background (no custom icons or sfx)
After launching LME, the theme and other plug-ins load completely and I can browse/launch ISOs, emulators and everything in between.
Because I bought it in such a state, didn't bother with installing the latest CFW version available on wololo or any version for that matter. Just downloaded a bunch of games and play away.

Hmm… I've got a 300X model myself (I can't recall exactly what model directly) and put the CFW on it myself, and because I still have the 6.60 Pro-C Fix 3 on there, it's not permanent CFW, so every time I have to boot it twice: once for the system to boot up, and again to boot into CFW from the XMB. I assume my CFW just stays on the memory stick since it doesn't permanently stick to the system (I'm pretty sure there's now permanent CFW for 3000's, but at this point I haven't bothered replacing it yet since 15 seconds or so extra boot up time is no hassle to me.

If memory serves, the SNES emulator I have on mine is also that Snes9xTYL variant. System's out of juice right now to check though. If this thread's still up later (given it's about at post limit now) I'll post if I can get stuff working with it on mine, and if not, I'll write my findings down and try to post it if you ask next time someone makes a PSP thread.. What games in particular were you wanting to try out with it anyhow? Might be able to see if they work on mine.

bump because I'm drunk

Sorry for the delay, thanks a bunch for the recs anons.

MAXIMUM COMFY ACHIEVED

Damn thanks so much for the Growlanser recommendation. I've been playing it almost all day for the week so far. I feel a bit retarded for fucking up some of the strategies but I plan to replay it and get better. Simply amazing.

It's called infinity but you need to update the OFW to 6.61 and since 6.61 breaks some plugins it's not worth it.

I'll probably make one on sunday or monday with a proper OP with resources for original hardware and emulation, if i see interest i'll keep making the thread once a week.

I use FuSa to play on my Trinitron Wega from my couch, absolutely comfy.

You better be playing the UNDUB nigga nicoblog.org/psp/valkyrie-profile-lenneth-usa/

No problem, one user had been going on about how it had always been missing and I'd seen enough of a liking before to see no reason against putting it up there on the WIP update.

If you want more Growlanser, I've heard good things about Growlanser 2 and 3 on the PS2 (bundled as "Growlanser Generations"), and its predecessor series, Langrisser, also has a few games playable in English too.

Still seems silly that Square-Enix has ignored putting either the PS1 or PSP versions of Valkyrie Profile up on the PSN. But then again Square tends to ignore doing digital rereleases of nearly any game/series Enix used to handle anyhow (I think ActRaiser is one of the only ones to see one, at least here in the west).

What are the quintessential PSP/PS1 rhythm games? I've got my Gitaroo Man and Parappa the Rapper, some DJ Max too. How about Monster Hunter knockoffs, what are the must haves in the world of those? I know there's a lot of them, they're hard to miss.

Are all Ys games this story focused? Because it's awful. It's so anime it hurts.

bamp