ITT: Games that Overstay their Welcome

In other words, we post games that could have benefitted from being shorter (whether it's the removal of specific bad levels or the game got too repetitive or for any other reason you can think of).

Jesus fuck what was Sandy thinking?

He was probably hired by some other company to sabotage ID Software.

They wasted money then, because Carmack did that just fine all by himself.

Metal Slug X had the perfect length

*by the Mormon church

Hotline Miami 2

Far cry 3 just keeps going and going after Vaas

Vaas was the only good character in that entire game. He was the only one who had any decent lines, as well.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Santa Monica and Downtown LA are a fantastic, Hollywood starts out well and then the game starts focusing too much on combat. It also becomes very obvious how unfinished it is.

Oh man, I was determined to finish HM2 in one sitting when it came out and it just kept dragging on and on. The stage with the dark club and AWFUL music was my personal low point. Last level was really cool, though.
The game was only overstaying its welcome because it was so mediocre, though. It's not like it was fun during the first half, it just took a few hours of playtime to realize how much worse than HM1 it is.

It's weird that he was in the marketing material for the entire game yet he apparently was barely in it.

Half-Life would be a 10/10 for me if Zen didn't exist.

You thought that was too long? Did you get it confused with Radiant Dawn, which has almost twice as many chapters?

I liked Xen.

Pleb

I once tweeted to kamiya that the quest where you have to find those hero dogs or whatever was too long and he blocked me.

Yeah, that one. It's shit, fuck you.

This shit had so many long ass levels with nothing inbetween, the pacing was absolutely fucked and was much better in the episodes.
I love the game, but really dude, it's just a huge waste.

If you have to make me walk through levels clicking on enemies at least give me some exposition or explain to me visually more stuff about the world I'm playing in.

funny thing about this song, I'm pretty sure El Tigr3 or whatever is from /mu/, I say this because I had downloaded this song before HLM2 came out from soundcloud, and I got it from a /mu/ soundcloud thread.

The only thing I disliked was Route Kanal.

My favorite bits were Highway 17 and Sandtraps.

That song is pretty shit but

This game does not respect your time at all.
Do yourself a favor and just play Landstalker and then Ladystalker instead of touching this shit.

Do you anons think those problems wouldn't have been there if the game hadn't been leaked and Valve didn't have to remove/remake most of it?

I forgot to mention some of the more bullshit stuff

Add Skyward Sword to that too
Now that I think about it most 3D zelda games have a lot of padding.

Most likely.
The episodes had the same team and were made shortly after and had none of these problems.
Unless Valve decided to completely overhaul the way they make games in the span of two year.

kill yourself fam, that song is one of the best

Except they do tell you about the world, just through environmental details and scenery. I love the long levels, they really layer on the atmosphere. There are a number of problems with HL2, like half or more of the weapons being unsatisfying, but I honestly do think the pacing is perfect. Even Route Canal.

zen is fine, the amount of it not so much.

i kind of fucking hate half life 2

I've semi-recently started to appreciate games that don't go beyond 50 min or so when played flawlessly but involve non-stop action and include difficulty modes that are challenging as fuck (in a fair way). Of course there are longer games that I like, including certain MMOs even though they're shit.

Max Payne 3 is a game I finally got around to playing a few months ago, and I think it easily could have been 33% shorter, especially since the gameplay isn't that varied.

Some of them do. The highway for example.
Most don't unfortunately, they're just very bland corridors.
I love the game but it has some really obvious flaws caused by remaking the whole game in a short span of time.

kill everyone itt

what, do you like having your games padded to shit, instead of fine tuned and perfect for replay value?

congrats on signing your death sentence

I can't think of the last game I played that I thought was too long, it might just be because I rarely play games with an end.

holy shit, I remember co-oping this with my roommate when the game came out. We ground to a halt and finally said "fuck it".

I got MP3 for $5 and returned it after I'd played for 15 minutes out of the first hour. Holy shit that game is garbage.

Path of Radiance did not overstay its welcome.

Do I even have to explain?

Every Final Fantasy game, and probably most JRPGs in general. Special mention to Bravely Default which manages to be an even more repetitive slog than Final Fantasy despite being fantastic for the first four chapters.

Definitely. Even ones I mildly enjoy like Earthbound go on way too fucking long. I can't bring myself to make it much farther than Fourside, it's just such a fucking slog.

you do

Avadon 2.

I hate to sound like a hipster posting a 2obscure4u game, but I really liked the first one and didn't mind it's length at all. The second one though, fuck, After the second trip to The Corruption it just feels like I'm trudging through it. Not to mention the absolutely TERRIBLE ending sequence, one of the worst I can remember actually.

This.

The levels weren't even fun after a certain point because of off screen deaths.

metroid prime 2. great game! coulda done without so much backtracking when it came time to put that key together. or maybe im just shit

This.

Persona games go on for far too long

Persona 1's pretty short.

I enjoyed Hoyt much more. Vaas was a thug, Hoyt was the real deal.

Vaas wanted to fight you one on one, while Hoyt sent your little brother into sex slavery and wanted to torture and murder you at a gunpoint, one finger after another.

Vaas was psychotic, Hoyt was psychopathic.

Vaas was more interesting than Hoyt, though. He had kind of a fall-from-grace thing, and most of the game up to that point had been drawing thematic parallels between Jason and Vaas.
Hoyt was just a criminal-as-businessman, with a sadistic streak. He wasn't terrible, just boring.

user, I'm pretty sure you're missing quite a bit of his evilness there.

Darkest Dungeon gets pretty repetitive and boring after a while. I never did beat the final boss, I was way too bored of grinding out heros and paying for their stress relief.

I'm not saying he wasn't evil. I'm saying he wasn't interesting.
The most interesting part of the entire Hoyt arc was actually Jason. The idea of him running around in a stolen mercenary uniform, pretending to be this monstrous, sadistic killer–when in reality, he was (or at least was becoming) that exact kind of person. I know, it's supposed to be a critique of vidya violence and power fantasies in general, but most of the meta stuff in that game was a little too sloppily executed.

Have you played Vogels other games? I feel the Avadon series is easily his weakest, and from reading some of the stuff he's said about it I think he agrees.

I don't think it was as much a critique of anything as much as it was a perfect male power fantasy (no feminist bullshit intended), which is why it was so damn successful.

Jason was already an alpha, bound only by social norms. Once he broke out of them, he started becoming an alpha even by the islanders' standards.

It's a seamless transition, allowing you to identify with Jason fully.

This is also why Far Cry 4 failed.

so did 3 you casuel if anything it just needed a level break after you get into the big alien spaceship

No, there's too much other meta shit for it to be anything but a commentary on games. "You win," as the last line Citra says before you die. (And conversely, "Citra, I won," after you kill Vaas.) Vaas and one of the girls (in a hallucination) talk about "deleting" him. The (arguably pointless) choice at the end, where choosing to stay in your role as alpha Rakyat means your death, because you were never really that in the first place–it was all a ruse by Citra to get your sperm. The occasional talk about how the faceless mooks you kill "deserve to die," which is a line that's clearly supposed to be directed at the player.
There's a lot to the story. At the same time, there's also token fluff and pretentious bullshit, like all the allusions to Alice in Wonderland. It's the kind of game I'd love to to do a thorough analysis on one day.

No, it's just a simplistic, very animalistic way of looking at things. This is how you get shit done in real life - you visualize it and jump at it.

"I won" "delete him" "deserve to die" these are all to the core very strong, instinctual ideas.

I liked it but at least twice I was convinced the game was about to end and then you have to go dink around and fix some other broken thing on the station.
Remove the alien and the robots and this becomes space station maintenance simulator

The entire point of the game was that the island isn't real life. Citra is the heart of the island, and every time Jason's with her, he hallucinates. The main conflict is actually between Citra and Jason's girlfriend. The former wants you to stay on the island (i.e., in the game) and the latter wants Jason to leave the island (i.e., return to the real world). That's why Citra is fine with killing tons of people (because that's normal in games) and Jason's girlfriend isn't (because in real life that's very, very far from normal).
If the Alice in Wonderland stuff really had any point (and maybe it didn't, hard to say), it was that Jason (and by extension you, the player) were Alice, and the game was a fictitious wonderland that operated on unreal and inconsistent rules–that is, the kind of rules that you see in video games.

Well yeah, he's basically what Dobson would be if he was successful.

It doesn't change the fact that he's still a sperg.

People don't call him Japanese Phil Fish for nothing

The cycle of buy/sell/equip stuff-upgrade characters-talk to people-watch cutscenes-fight eventually drained on me. Too many menus to go through every single time.

The pre-reboot Half-Life 2 was much, much longer, more meandering and less tightly planned out. Hence the reboot.

Thank god the sequel allowed you to fast forward time when waiting for someone. I can only play darts and Space Harrier and buy capsule toys for so long.

Also this. HL2 is the cesspool of modern FPS bullshit.

It'd certainly be more playable if you could skip the fucking shitty cutscenes so you didn't have to put up with the shitty story that's written by some hack who isn't Sam Lake and has Max acting out of character.

etto

Truth hurts, Valvecuck.

you can definitely lay some blame on valve for thinking making 90% of their exposition unskippable conversations which involves just standing and watching people talk was cool or immersive.

its incredibly annoying when they characters keep looking at the player like you can actually answer them only to get a shitty joke about silent protagonists every other time. ye olde seesaw techdemo meme is still real as well. stacking boxes isn't fun even if its considered impressive for the time, and psi-ops which came out the same year as half life 2 had much more creative use of object manipulation. since the novelty of throwing a toilet at a combine wears off real fast when the gravity gun feels like even more of a last ditch weapon than the crowbar

zen is fucking boring

fucking retarded

The actor really sold it, they loved it and made him a bigger a role.

Here's one more. I just played this and I can't stand any more of this repetitive and unfunny garbage after powering through the game to at least get to Marge's level. I don't know why some anons keep recommending this game every licensed game thread.

Didn't know people even made fanart for this game. Very nice.

Downtown is kinda sluggish, but it's not Abandoned Mines / Bloodfalls / Chasm -bad. Industrial Zone is pretty good. Suburbs isn't that bad.

Psychonauts is not that long. Maybe 1 or 2 areas that are a bit obsolete. More sluggish towards the beginning, in fact.

Yeah, the only slog in Psychonauts is the Meat Circus.

I love this game to death, but Panchaea was completely unnecessary and going to Hengsha twice sucked. Not to mention that shitty ending.

Not sure if this is quite what OP had in mind, but every level in Wasteland 2 needed to be maybe a tenth as large as they are now. The amount of time spent slowly walking across these giant-ass maps takes up literally about half the game. It's borderline unplayable unless you're doing something else at the same time.

What was wrong with Panchaea? The enemies were kind of annoying, but it didn't make the game seem overlong to me.

The enemies were annoying and the level was really boring, it just added length to a game that really didn't need it.

I think if anything should have been cut for time, it's the return to Hengsha. Panchaea was important to the overall story. Going back to Hengsha wasn't.

It's not any more boring than the entire game.

It's their nostalgia talking. I played it last year for the first time since beating it not long after its release and it's really not good. The gameplay is basically the same shit repeated over and over, and the difficulty curve becomes more of a difficulty brick wall at the end. The main reason I think it gets so much praise is that it references its source franchise better than any other licensed game I've seen, especially since it mostly only calls back to episodes from its pre-zombie days.

I agree that it has good references to the older episodes. Seeing Jasper frozen in Kwik-E-Mart surely gave me a chuckle especially after I saw him later in the game driving in Homer's level but good references can't save a game.

Skyward sword would've been better without all the padding

I found Panchea absolutely zero effort aside from figuring out what direction to go next. I mean at least have some crazy super-cyborgs or giant robots or something. (they totally underused the giant robots)

Kinda funny that DEHR kinda follows a lot of the same beats as Revengeance, complete with the protagonist using a suborbital capsule to reach the final area quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game – but I'm 200 hours in and *still* haven't completed it.

Now I have to commend the devs, because they made this experience really fleshed out and fun, and there is *a lot* of depth.. But there sure is a lot of fucking around in between isn't there? And it's almost like this game forgot that the first game existed, and only references a bit to what happened in 2.

Choices do carry over though, which is fun. I just wish they'd spent as much time creating different NPC faces than they had done giving the landscape as much depth as possible..

And I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I feel obligated to complete all the quests in the game and I guess that's where I'm kinda going wrong.. There's just *so many things to do* in the game, and so many setpieces, it's just kind of overwhelming. I feel that even the most neurotic completionist would have genuine trouble trying to do *every little thing* in this game.

And those levelled quests and areas make it ten times worse. They can honestly suck my dick – why the fuck do I have to wait ten levels to track and kill some fucking ghouls, or another couple to take out some ghosts *THAT ARE ON THE ROAD* to another lower level quest? Bitch, Geralt killed a dragon, and just about every other fuck that tried to step to him. Why now does he suddenly have to hone his skills to track a mundane beast? I know his amnesia comes and go at will, but does it happen along with his skill?

It also means that I have to actually go out of my way to do these things whilst they're at my level, otherwise I only get a little bit of exposition from it, but no xp or useful items from it.

It would have been *way* better if they had just stuck that levelled quest shit in the dirt and actually made it so that you can really do whatever you want, whenever you want – scaling the creatures level as you levelled up, and maybe by keeping levelled quests for the story if they felt like it. I suppose in theory 1 ghoul cannot be as powerful as 1 fleder, but maybe just scale the number of them instead if they are lesser monsters.

Those goddamn *RECAP LOADING SCREENS* don't help either.. It's like.. 'Eyy man, you haven't played the story in a while.. No worries.. We'll just keep playing this over and over again till you do.' It makes it really kinda hard to get back into it to be honest.

Overall, it's a very decent game – but this sorta shit is what makes me feel like I'm not in the mood to go back anytime soon. And this was basically overlooked by everyone who played it (unless I'm just a faggot). Shamefur dispray.

I think you're well-meaning, user, but you're clearly new. Lurk more next time.

In all honesty I thought I needed to get all this off my chest rather than just saying things like 'it's shit lol!' as most anons generally do..

It's alright.

TPHD fixed it. Reduced the Tears subquest a shitton and made the Wolf transformation animation faster as well as making it a single button press. And reduced a lot of minor things like making the inventory instant access on the gamepad.

I really wish they would do the same to SS, it was so close to being really amazing.

Well spoken but word of advice, you don't have to say *sign*

There are Anons who tell you to go back to reddit or whatever Even though that's a Forum thing. but other than that and the recap page, I've seen your complaints before.

The entirity of Daein in PoR was boring, outside of maybe one level every mission in the country is basically just follow a line. Radiant Dawn is a lot more interesting in level design and gameplay but the entirity of Part 4 almost ruins the game for me, part 1-3 10/10 part 4 is like a 3/10

It's the "*sigh*" makes you look like a faggot.

I was wondering whether to put it in or not.. Guess my inner faggot took over.

The *Sigh* aside, at least now I know I'm not the only one who thinks this..

You should never having to decide whether to use *actions* or not, it's always retarded.

A lot of people here hate The Witcher 3. You're definitely in good company.

Just don't talk like a faggot and everybody'll get along.

Was DMC4 not insulting enough by itself?

Well, glad about that.. Haven't seen many people here do it either.

Oh I don't hate it, I just think it wasn't as perfect as a lot of people made it out to be.

Twilight Princess is like a long string of the best set of dungeons in Zelda history (Goron Mines, Yeti Mansion, City in the Sky, Arbiter's Grounds are fucking incredible, every other dungeon is fucking solid) but the content BETWEEN dungeons ranges from mediocre to okay.

Midna is GOAT though

I didn't mind x/zen too much, but christ I fucking hated that entire room before the boss The one where you had to reach a teleporter above you

Every second you fought humans should have been removed, the alien and roberts were spooky not humans.

I liked it.

I fail to see the problem

Permanently removing Midna was the moment where I lost all hope for Zelda as a franchise.

*sigh* You can say that again..

Two characters were enough, there were not enough levels to use them in. I got bored of repeating the same level over and over again.
Now there are more characters, but there are still the same old levels. They could have made new levels, but fuck that.

He's just easymode though. Yiu can kill everything on the screen in one move, and you can't even be touched while charging it.

you're just making me wanna play it again

ITT: millennials with too many games don't have time to finish one.

And you wonder why you're considered scum. How many of your favorite games of all time, you haven't even played through the end?

Is playing the same level over and over again that different than playing the same level over and over again for an S-rank in the previous games?

He said Vergil, not Nero.

I understand your frustration, but they could've just given us Vergil and told us to take him to the Bloody Palace and I would've been motivated

I always finish games that I like, but that doesn't mean a game can't drag on too long, especially if the mechanics aren't good enough to justify the length of the game, or the story takes too long to wrap up. These are common problems.

The dungeons in the latter half just got

too many dungeons,

I keep forgetting that when you consider something a given, and stop talking about it as everyone already knows, then idiots like this pop up from the maelstrom of ignorance.

Dark cloud, dark cloud's sequel and rogue galaxy HD remaster release on pc fucking when?

rogue galaxy, I really wanted to get into.

Then the prison dungeon.
Who fucking designed this shit? Everything looks the same and nothing is satisfying about this.

Pretty much every Tales of Series game has this problem I think, and this is coming from a long time fan.

First 20 or 30 hours are usually great, full of twists and turns and new dungeons with new gimmicks that keep things interesting.

Then it gets to the late game and all that happens is people die for no reason other than to have a dramatic moment, and your party takes way too long getting ready to fight the guy who you knew hours ago was gonna be the final boss.

That's not taking into consideration all the side content that typically unlocks about 70% through.

It doesn't help that after the desert dungeon, pretty much every enemy you'll ever encounter is a reskin.

I cant remember which tales of game I played but it was on the gamecube and you didnt know who the final boss was untill the very end. There was also one of those annoying as fuck trial and error dungeons where my friend and I just went fuck it and looked up what to do. Was quite some time ago so maybe I just misremembered how you didnt know the final boss untill the very end.

The only Tales game on the Gamecube was Symphonia, and you could guess who the last boss was gonna be by the first quarter of the game.

I feel like Kirby 64's slow movement speed makes it drag on too much, but it's remedied by the fact that once you beat a level you don't need to re-beat it in order to keep a powerup combination that you need

I found the Goron Mines,, City in the Sky, Arbiter's Grounds to be mediocre.

Any .hack game.

Better than Mass Effect in terms of games connecting to each other, but the wait between games was terrible.

:still no hack G.N.U.

EVERY FUCKING TIME

Blazblue. I have ridiculous patience, but with BB I keep thinking GET ON WITH IT. And then they keep adding more characters, twists and turns, reminds me of Humanity is Declining's mention of this shit to keep watching/playing because theyre throwing so many variables at your face.

Right around the end of the Realm of the Dead is when the game starts to sour.

Dark Cloud 1's biggest problem is the separate leveling of 6 characters' weapons when at most you probably use Toan for melee, Xiao for range, and the genie girl to replace Xiao

Dark Cloud 2's biggest problem is probably spheda/dungeon mini-golf

the original series only had a 3 month wait between titles
how long did GU have?

I find you mediocre.

Path of Radiance was perfectly fine, it's about the same length as Sacred Stones even without the grinding. Now if you want bullshit, play Radiant Dawn.

Episode 3 might have been worth it to see how jacked Ike could get, but fuck Episode 4 and getting stuck with Miciah's and her "valuable" NPCs stealing 4 slots.

Path of Radiance had the 4-padr chapter, but I actually liked it. I groaned if one unit got killed, but that showed me to do better. One of my criticisms for PoR would be that Ike spends quite some time as Ranger, so for a couple of chapters, he needs to stay back so he doesn't hog EXP he's not getting anyway.
But Radiant Dawn was a mess in many ways. The maps are fun and challenging and I love the game, but the things you described are a mess. Dawn Brigade is hard to train though there are decent units, and same goes for Elincia's group. Fucking shame that Paladins were beasts in the last game and here Titania was the truly good one, I missed beast Oscar.
And then you have other neat units but they spend such a ridiculous short time with you. Vika is solid, but you have to dump a truckload of EXP to keep up in the last chapters.
The extremely shitty supports did not help the game at all. Why remove one of the things that made so many characters memorable? I wanted banter, not HELLO, TAKE CARE IN THIS BATTLE.

But to me, the worst thing in the game is the fact that you have to take so many obligatory (shitty) units, and leave you with fuck-all for the last chapters. That takes away the feeling of freedom of choice to pick your best/favorite guys to do their thing, amd instead you're babysitting Kurth, Ena and Sanaki.

Permanently? Zelda rarely makes direct sequels.

Correct. Pretty much every dungeon but the first three were amazing and memorable. Also every boss starting with the Water Temple's was great.

But two hook shots!

Two hookshots was fucking lazy as shit, I spent the whole dungeon up to them thinking it was going to be something like that but that they'd be more creative than just doubling up on an existing item and then I was just extra disappointed and it ruined the entire dungeon for me. I also remember the boss being just super repetitive, there wasn't any real strategy or pattern or anything, you just keep braindead-ly clawshotting around him until he doesn't turn fast enough and you get to the back.

Only dungeon I have worse memories of are the mines because of how fucking drawn out and then underutilized the sumo minigame was to get into them and then how incredibly fucking slowly you move with the magnetized boots.