Oldest games you can enjoy?

What are the oldest games you still regularly play Holla Forums? What is your cut off point that games are just too basic or dated to play? To be more precise, what are your cut off points for each genre?

Racing - 1990 with F-Zero
Platforming - 1988 with super mario bros 3
FPS - 1993 with Doom

Also, why do I find it difficult to stomach the graphics on most NES games but the monochrome of the original gameboy looks absolutely fine?

Depends what you mean by "enjoy".
The first game i ever played as a kid was a game where you hoarded animals inside a farm, on C64.
I could play it again right now and it would be like "i guess this is kinda nice" for a minute or so.
But that's not -true- enjoyment i suppose.

For enjoying currently, UnReal World (1992), but that's propably cheating considering the game isn't anything like it was two and half decades ago.

spacewar is where it's at

It's hot so I usually play older games in the summer to not tax my pc parts too much. Took an user's tip that the hd mod of the original diablo makes for comfy gaming. They were right.

1997 plus a little modding went a long way. Highly recommend.

Probably NES platformers like Mario, Contra or Ninja Gaiden

I still play ultima online

Racing - Gran Trak 10 (1974)
Platform - Space Panic (1980)
FPS - Maze War (1974)

Your tastes are too extravagant, son of the "glorious" generation.

Also: you're playing your NES games on an HD monitor. Get a CRT television or a filter if you're using an emulator.

Getting the obvious one out of the way.
But seriously, i have yet to find a game that i consider "outdated", even minimal 80's games are still enjoyable for me.

Well made things don't age for me. I keep them in memory, I know what they are, I wouldn't have a different world see them.

You are raising the perceptions of others revisiting them. Doubt and critique attack upon entry into you. You don't want them to be better, you want to take from them. That is why they are worse to you now. Make more of them, or a world they would belong in.

Chess

Fucking hipster.

I emulated some games recently and played stuff like Super Mario World and Final Fantasy 7 and enjoyed those games immensely.

After spending almost a year playing only PS1 games I can't bear to look at them

I can't play anything 3D before the sixth gen, but I fucking love old 2D games.

I played some ps2 games recently…. and the graphics where bad but i enjoyed some of it.

Man old games are buggy looking.

Good games do NOT age user, I still see a crowd of people hudled by the old Pacman machines at the arcades some times

If a game is good, then its good, it doesn't matter how old it is, Masterpieces are timeless
Probably because you're an underage faggot

If you really want an actual answer though, its because with the Gameboy it was easier to get a good aesthetic through minimalism. the NES was in an awkward phase as far as graphics design goes, a lot of low-budget games with low-rate designers from the NES era like using this "textured" effect for a lot of graphical elements and it just didn't age very well

Obviously high-budget games and Nintendo first parties will give you cleaner graphics that have a great aesthetic that age better. I like saying Super Mario Bro. 3 has some of the best game graphics of all time because it pisses off plebs who think photorealism=graphics but also because its kind of true, aesthetic wise, it looks amazing

Would Nethack or ADOM count?

Even the oldest game of all time is still fun.
See who can hit harder.

I had gotten the chance to play a Vectrex and played the asteroids equivalent on it, I don't recall the name, but it was really very fun. The display of the system had some ghosting that gave the image a very distinct quality to the movement on screen, and the game itself was very fun. Great sound, good visuals, fluid gameplay, I kinda wish the system was more successful, maybe vector processors could have been a more essential thing in game play and game systems.

Anyway, the oldest game I play off on and would probably be Bard's Tale.

Have you taken your meds today schizofriendo?

BY MARDUK YOUNG BULL OF THE SUN
GET OUT OF HERE, PLEBS

FUCKING NEWFAGS

BY THE BALLSACK OF TIAMAT, I BET YOU DIDN'T EVEN WORK ON THE WALL OF URUK YOU LAZY CUNTS

IMMORTALITY WAS A MISTAKE

Pong

ooo, spacewars works too. from the 60s

nethack is still actively developed, i don't know much about adom but it was re released in 2015 right?

I can play nes and genesis games perfectly fine. Played through a bunch of games that I missed as a kid recently, and it was just as fun as playing new games on actual consoles back then. Same deal with most PS1 games, one of my favourites being Megaman Legends that I first played a year or so ago on emulator. Great game.
But something like original Deus Ex is completely unplayable to me. I hated it both from gameplay and visual standpoint. Or System Shock. Dear god I can't play system shock.

I wonder why some games age and some don't. Both MML and DX are 3D action games with RPG elements from early 00s, but one looks and plays good even today, and the other is completely unapproachable and unattractive.

install the revised opengl renderer or the dx9/10 ones otherwise you get a bunch of graphical artifacts on dude sex. I can take lacking the latest graphical effects like in deus ex but if i play something like rfactor which is just plain ugly i want to puke

I just got a Saturn last year with many of the essentials. Having never played the system before, I'm hooked. That being said anything 3d prior to gen 6 aged so poorly visually. I can still play my NES and Master System with no problem tho.

I'm not even a graphic whore. It's just art-style of DX is offputting to me. It tries to be realistic but with technology not really allowing it.
Somehow FF8 and Vagrant Story did it better on worse hardware.

The original asteroids

I remember it came with a bunch of files in some old computer I found

Its incredibly adictive

Can't usually go older than 1996. Duke3D and Quake were bad ass. Doom and the clones following were kind of disappointing after playing. I also usually can't go younger than 2004. Half-Life 2 was okay, but set some really horrible trends.

Late 90s or gtfo. I can't say I enjoyed the likes of early Ultima titles. I'm willing to sacrifice a slight bit of abstraction to have a more fluid and animated experience like the Interplay titles. The early 90s dungeon crawlers were okay though.

Other than that, nothing really gets too clunky or outdated for me. I like wrapping myself up in a blanket and enjoying the comfy of low poly N64 and PSX graphics. Only thing that pisses me off is the often uncompensated lack of camera controls.