JRPG Thread

Holla Forums I'm brand new to JRPGs.
I haven't played any Final Fantasy, just tried out FFXIII and I didn't like it.
I have also tried Chrono Trigger by emulating but I got fed up with it because I wasn't saving and I basically lost all my progress I had played.
The only game other than that which I have played that is somewhat similar is Child of Light. I don't know if it can be really considered a JRPG but I liked it overall. It was fun.

So I want to ask what are the most essential JRPGs to play? Preferably things that are newer and are on the PC. No emulation. Ports only if they are good.

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyanime.com/squaresoft/ctsaves-srm.htm
mgba.io/nightlies.html
transcorp.romhacking.net
pastebin.com/GaKfEChk
serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53111&st=0&p=3704216
talesofvesperia.net
gamefaqs.com/ps2/561922-tales-of-destiny-2/faqs/58741
gamefaqs.com/ps2/920236-tales-of-rebirth/faqs/52311
nicoblog.org/psp/ys-vs-sora-no-kiseki-alternative-saga-english-patched/
legendsoflocalization.com/i-had-to-write-a-final-fantasy-fanfic-for-square/
tcrf.net/ActRaiser
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You have ports of ff 7 to 9 on pc. They have terrible music, but it can be fixed with mods

ahahahahahahaha

Thoughts on pic related

OK, there is a golden rule to JRPGs that is not every game is for everyone.
But the essentials are Persona 3 or 4.
I Am Setsuna it actually good. you can chose between active and turns on the enemies. Also the battles are quite quick. At first when you see the unity logo you expect shit but the graphics ain't that bad.

If not you could pick almost any Tales game and get value for you bucks. I prefer symphonia or Abyss. The Vita ones ain't that bad also.
Also some of the FF games are good but its almost a hunt in itself when it comes to FF.

So in short chose a Tales of game, I am Setsuna or Persona 3-4.

Chrono Trigger is the only JRPG that I would consider to be essential. From there it just depends on your preference. What exactly are you looking for?

Also, here are some Chrono Trigger save files. Just find one that's near the last place you got to before you lost your progress, download the file, and put it in the same folder you keep the Chrono Trigger ROM in.
fantasyanime.com/squaresoft/ctsaves-srm.htm

While I haven't played it, I've heard the camera is atrocious.

Persona 3 is great. Gameplay is simple, but fun. Music is awesome, characters are pretty good. Atmosphere gets really dark at the end.

Persona 4 is more of a pop themed JRPG, with much less dark atmosphere. Still worth a shot.

Digital Devil Saga is pretty good as an entry point to SMT JRPGs. Play it.

SMT III Nocturne is fucking great, it's one of the most essential JRPGs out there.

SMT IV is great too.

Souls games are great JARPGs.

If you have any questions about those, go ahead.

Don't ask about Persona 4 though.

I haven't beaten it, but it's bland at best where I am. Not as good as Strange Journey setting-wise, but the fusion system was heavily improved for searching possible combinations. Smirking is neat but also broken as fuck.

Where are you? First 10 hours are a chore.

Final Fantasy series. Dragon Quest Series. Breath of Fire series. Suikoden series. Phantasy Star series.

Chrono Trigger is probably one of the few that could be argued to be "essential".

I forgot to add, make sure the SRM file is named exactly the same thing as the ROM file. For example, if SRM is named "Chrono Trigger" and the ROM is named something like "Chrono Trigger (USA)", it won't work. You'll either have to rename the SRM file to match the ROM, or vice versa.

user, come on
You always keep at least two separate save files going on these games. It's more common than you think to save just before a boss with no way to grind/heal and basically become stuck and have to start over.

Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3(sequel to above)
Final Fantasy 4-6
Tales of Phantasia
Illusion of Gaia
Terranigma
Bahamut Lagoon
Earthbound
Live-a-live
Super Mario RPG
Treasure of the Rudras
Romancing SaGa 3
Chrono Trigger
(Star Ocean - Looks better than the psp version but unstable as fuck, probably not worth it)

Start there.

Quit crying, install it on your phone.

For Super Nintendo, I'd also recommend Dragon Quest V, Shin Megami Tensei 1 and 2, and Breath of Fire 2.

And your lists are full of garbage, what a surprise.

Kill yourself you pleb fucking faggot.

Only essentials would be Chrono Trigger and Super Mario Bros Legend of the Seven Star.

After that it comes down to preference. Here's some opinions for you:

I played Earthbound for the first time a good 20 years ago, it sucked then, it sucks now.

Pokémon Yellow, followed by Crystal.

jrpgs are not your thing

No doubt, but I try to be objective, even about genres I tend to dislike.

Pretty much every core trait of JRPG is somewhere in a Dragon Quest title. Play Dragon Quest III on a GBC emulator
we're talking about a genre with 'japanese' in the name. it's rare enough to get one localized, you can forget about PC ports. JRPGs were in their prime in the 4th gen, just be glad about this being the simplest era to emulate
pick a new genre

final fantasy xiii is the furthest thing from a core jrpg you can get. the only saving grace besides graphics and an ok theme song is a battle system that acts like a puzzle, only the puzzles begin 2/3 the way into the game and are piss-easy
and saving isn't the game's fault, it's yours. this is like playing a first person shooter then complaining that you have to aim

Shitty tastes Wasshoi!!     \\ Shitty tastes Wasshoi! // +   + \\Shitty tastes Wasshoi!/+        ∬ ∬    ∬ ∬    ∬ ∬  +   +     人      人      人     +         (__)    (__)    (__)  +    (__)   (__)   (__)     +.   +   ( __ )  ( __ )  ( __ )  +      ( ´∀`∩ (´∀`∩) ( ´∀`) +  (( (つ   ノ (つ  丿 (つ  つ ))  +       ヽ  ( ノ  ( ヽノ   ) ) )       (_)し'  し(_)  (_)_)

Instead of green arrows, try to come up with an argument in favor of the greatness of P4's combat or the strategy sections in Suikoden 1/2. Ya know, like a person trying to prove or disprove a point would.

Chrono Trigger isn't particularly good either.

What folly. I'd just as soon debate a dumpster, or an amoeba.

Summer disgusts me.

Good music, characters grow throughout the story, battles and boss battles tend to be well spaced out, story is clean and easy to follow, good length, has some replayability. I think these traits are enough to consider it a good game.

What you mean to say that it's generic, because it did just about everything exceedingly well and it has been used as a measuring pole since.

It's good and was great for its time.

Deserves the hate it gets, but still sorta fun. Loved Shiina's songs in it.

I was going to ask what game that was (because of the super cutie in pic), but just saw the post saying it was a Tales game. Let's see what the price is..
Yep I figured.

Are there any violent, edgy JRPGs that are also colorful and cartoony?

You are fucking morons.

wut about persona 4?

Soul Nomad

I'm like 15-20 hours in I think. Made a deal with the mob dude to kill people? I haven't played in a long ass time.

(you)

NIS games, basically.

GoShiina is really nice to listen to. Gods Eater's soundtrack was nice too because of that.

Seems like argument of a SJW. Stopped watching right there.

Also golden rule of having a good taste in japanese roleplaying games:

1. Stay away from Persona shit
2. Stay away from Final Fantasy shit
3. Stay away from Dragon Quest shit
And that's it, you are good to go and try anything you fucking want, sometimes even random shit from no-name dev is better than this overrated garbage.

What?

Despite that sentence and his pedantic voice, he did his research.

I can't get into the modern jrpg since they are almost all fucking terrible.

Yeah, he did his research.

Who is replaying Terranigma for it's 20th anniversary?

Are there any JRPGs like this that aren't turn-based?

nope

In Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, you play as cannibals.

Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma

I'd recommend:

Skies of Arcadia, Paper Mario Thousand Year Door, and Fire Emblem on GBA or even Gamecube (avoid 3DS versions like the plague), Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (not the DS FF tactics though), and Disgaea 4 (Ps Vita verision, get it second hand, only use Jap audio IMO).

I wouldn't suggest other stuff I've played because either its shit, stuff I think only a few people will enjoy, or I just don't remember.

Wow, how close minded can someone be. Oh wait, this is Holla Forums

Kill yourself and your entire family.

Also entirety of YS series, Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana) series, Neugier, Illusion of Gaia, Star Ocean series, Crystal beans, Gunple, Brandish series, Tales Of series, and kingdom fucking hearts.

Only Neptunia V-II comes to mind. I don't recommend Rebirth 1/2/3 of the series unless you like the characters and dialogue of the games and you don't really need to play them to get the story/setting of V-II. The gameplay of the previous games is somewhat lacking.

The Rance series has some good JRPGs, but only if you know moon, I wouldn't consider the two great games of the series in English to be JRPGs, Kichikuou and Sengoku are more like strategy games. 01, 03, 6 and Magnum are great, but not in English. 9 is also good, but it's an SRPG.

There are a lot of missed non mainstream jrpgs that are available on psone and ps2. I am playing Dragon Valor now.
Acquiring items is a little different but in the end you only got yourself to blame if you end up sucking.

Shut up user. You wouldn't know a terrible rpg if it bit you in the ass.

There is nothing in this game that is not half assed.
Random encounters happen every 2 seconds because map size is fucking small
Lazy as fuck digivolution chart. Your digimon share champion or ultimates with others in party
Rookie digimon put up a fight against ultimates and mega forms cause devs to fucking lazy to include other digimon that are not just pallete swaps. Aka digimon with blue, black, yellow or red versions of normal digimon.
Ultimates and mega forms don't come by that frequently. This is important because your digimon needs killing strike for ultimate and mega requirements.
These requirements are broken up even more with killing of 6 diff types with 25 kills each. You have 6(can only use 3 at a time) digimon in party with these requirements and kills are not shared.
Animations are half assed with cell shading looking real bad. Lines are cliche and expected.
Battle menu is the most autistic shit you will ever see for a jrpg.
You have no real control on what you digivolve into. Nor can you digivolve in a fight.
Games a fucking mess.

It's funny that the anime for this game is the best animated one of the season

You want great JRPGS? Play Personas Tsumi and Batsu, they're amazing, if you can look past the graphics and deal with the demon negotiation stupid randomness. Their plots will blow your mind and,alone, are already worthy of a reason to play them. But,stay far away from 3 and 4, since the original writer Satomi Tadashi left, they hired a new one that seems to be used to work in generic anime shounen shit and boy it shows; fans of the old personas hate them for many reasons…like Marie or Naoto's existences.

You can play Tsumi and Batsu in your ps3, or just stop being a pussy and emulate both, of course. Unless your PC is a toaster, they will run just fine today.

I am surprised how nobody named ni no kuni or xenoblade yet. some of my all-time favourites

this is the worst main game of the series, and most of the time it is not a jrpg but a hallway simulator with battles. If you want a good FF then try out FF7 or FF9. Some people also liked FF8 and some people claim that FF10 was the last good FF. I think FF6 was the best one.

Also keep in mind that every game has its fanbase and every game has its hater. Also notice that you do not play a jrpg for the story but for the boss battles, the dungeons and for developing your characters and maxing their stats/ abilities etc. If you do not like doing those things then jrpgs are not a genre for you and you might have more fun with other genres.

the ones I played so far and liked:
soul blazer trilogy
secret of mana
final fantasy 6, 7, 8 and 10
skies of arcadia (dreamcast)
xenoblade (Wii)
tales of zestyria (ps3)
ni no kuni (ps3)

the ones that "core gamurs"will recommend you:
shin megami tensei series
fire emblem series on the gba

other popular titles:
tales of symphonia (gamecube)
tales of xillia 1+2 (ps3)
the last story (wii)
atelier series (ps2 and ps3)
neptunia series (ps3)
persona series (ps2)
grandia trilogy

jrpgs are a typical console genre so you wont find the blockbusters on pc.
emulation is the easiest way because most computers can play even PS2 games pretty well and downloading roms or even isos does not take that long anymore.If not, getting a used PS2 and a freemcboot memory card will help.

Did you get past the tutorial? It's only 20 hours long! No, that number isn't exaggerated, and yes, FF13 is shit.

I get that feel since we've all done it before, but you're the fucking idiot for doing it. Give it another go sometime, but don't be a retarded nigger about it.
I hate hyping things in general, but I'd agree that Chrono Trigger is probably one of the only essential RPGs. You'll notice that most of these posts are people shitting on each other for having shit taste, as usual, but CT almost never gets shit on.

Nonetheless if you end up enjoying RPGs then I'd try everything listed here. Just so you can establish your own taste and have an educated opinion about it. I played through all of FF13 to see the shitshow for myself, and was still massively disappointed.

dont even start kid

this genre is pure cancer

Is FF13-2 any good? I know the Lightning returns was even worse than the original one but some claim that 13-2 was ok.

In the middle of 13-2 right now. I was pleasantly suprised at some of the changes and additions they made. It is actually a serviceable entry.

Most importantly: 1. The tutorial is no longer the entire fucking game, and 2. Lightning is barely in it.

Or save one save spot too deep into the final dungeon and no longer be able to leave to go explore the bonus dungeon you unlocked by getting to the room right before you get locked in.

I'd recommend finishing Chrono Trigger at the very least. Just make sure to properly save this time around.

If you want some other decent starting places, consider Final Fantasy VI (IV, V, and VII are also rather well liked), Dragon Quest (III, IV, and V tend to be fan favorites), Paper Mario (both the N64 and Gamecube ones; also Super Mario RPG for the SNES, though it’s not quite the same), and Mario and Luigi (especially Superstar Saga on the GBA) for Turn-based/ATB systems, and Tales of Eternia/Symphonia/Vesperia (playing through most of the localized games in the series, those have struck me as good starting points) and some of the Mana games (Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu, Legend of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, and Legend of Mana are generally well liked) if you want real time combat. Also plenty of other series (Baten Kaitos, Breath of Fire, Grandia, Legend of Heroes, Lost Kingdoms, Lufia, Lunar, Mother, Phantasy Star, SaGa, Shadow Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei, Star Ocean, Suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, Wild Arms, etc), as well as standalone games (Infinite Space, Lagrange Point, Radiant Historia, Rogue Galaxy, Skies of Arcadia, Vagrant Story, Xenoblade, Xenogears, etc) if you find yourself liking them.

Big thing to keep in mind is that there's a lot to pick from (even more if you're willing to look beyond the mainstream for more niche franchises like Atelier and Ar Tonelico, or go for fan translated ones as well, as they're popular to patch into English, even if it takes a long time to translate), and even if one particular series or gameplay style doesn't do it for you, try another one rather than writing them all off. Also plenty of fan translated ones that never came west.

That’s also not taking into account the swath of tactical JRPGs as well: Dept. Heaven, Disgaea (as well as various other NIS tactical games like Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and Soul Nomad), Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Front Mission, Langrisser & Growlanser, Ogre Battle & Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, Super Robot Wars to name some.

Yes this is partially copypasta, I have this saved since I didn't feel like typing this up each and every time the question comes up.

Apparently not as closed minded as the faggot in the video

How is that one anyhow? As far as I can remember it's the only entry in Dragon Buster to come west aside from an arcade version of DB1 (and barring Tales of the Abyss including a variant of it as a minigame), and I never see discussion of it.

Went to local gameshop and found it. Gun little game so far. Has liniar exploration. Meaning you can only go forward but there are some branching paths that would change what spells you acquire or how strong the spells you have will become. But the real branch off is at beginning of game where it changes your decendents. Death penalty is pretty leniant but doesn't hurt overall experience. If I would say what game is the closest in gameplay, I'd say Brave Fencer Musashi with a step back in overal speed. Hurts the game a little but it's not a real demerit.

Game story is essential following a family tree. MC goes adventuring, completes main mission and gets married/laid. Than follow son for his own adventure and than he completes mission and same marital ending. Overall stats is carried over to next in line. Going through game and after reading book realize there is still a disc 2.

Neat, I'll have to give it a go sometime (surprises me that Dragon Buster hasn't gotten more in the way of cameos in other Namco stuff like Tales; Think TotA is only one to have much for it, though I might be wrong).

I suppose the original arcade one can be emulated in English (given it saw a NA arcade release), but I have to wonder if there's been a fan translation for Dragon Buster II on the SFC.

Can't fucking tell if people here are baiting or just have shit taste.

Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 4(FFII in murrika).
How about you stop being a bitch nigga and emulate the actually good ol JRPG's instead of playing [CURRENT YEAR] garbage?
JRPG PC ports are trash 99% of the time because japan doesn't give a fuck about PC, THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO EMULATE.

But whatever, if you insist on playing PC only games then i recommend you to play The Last Remnant.

Excellent pasta user.

I always wondered what Chrono Trigger characters might look like in a less cuhrazy style.

I suppose they were going for less spiky hair there, but it looks a bit too short even if it were to be lying down a bit more.

Mostly just stuff from both observations and my (admittedly still fairly limited, given how long some of these can get) experiences. Used to hang around JRPG general a good bit, and while some of the posters there were weird, they generally had good ideas about various games to look into. Bit of a shame there's not a good replacement for those threads here (/jrpg/ exists, but it's been dead for probably a year or so now), as JRPG discussion here on Holla Forums can be a bit hit or miss. Mostly wrote that to at least be able to provide some half decent advice for people new to the "genre" (for lack of a better word) amongst what might be, depending on the thread, a lot of shitposting against these sort of games in general. Been slowly working through various classic ones and having a good time with them. Only real issue is a lack of people to discuss them with since some are a good decade or more old and from now dead series (and as such don't have much to keep them current in people's minds, nor real deserving of having individual threads made for them at this point). I do try to make stuff that might help drum up some interest in others to play stuff, but it's slow since it takes a long time to get satisfied when making something for a game/series you really care about.

Fucked that up, second part was supposed to be directed at . Not sure where the third carrot even came from there.

I actually just drew that

Maybe this is a bit more accurate

If you don't already like JRPGs you're either underage or missed the boat when they were big and as such don't deserve to know the good ones. Suck my dick normalfag

It still seems a bit short, particularly what you would be seeing of the hair in the back (In my opinion, it might be better to have the hair going a bit further down the neckline). The katana also seems a little thick, but maybe that's just me.

Yeah if you want to dislike playing JRPGS, go right ahead

Both are totally fair criticisms, noticed the lack of hair in the back myself. I didn't think of changing the proportions on the katana when changing styles, so you're right about that.

How the fuck can someone be new to something that's so old. Did you wander into this place from your local GameStop?

Holy fuck, 80 replies and noone told this faggot to either get a PS2 and play the best JRPG ever created, Dragon Quest VIII or kill himself.

This board is going to shit. Even Dragon Dogma fags left apparently.

I suppose it wouldn't be a huge issue if Crono just used general blades (the way a lot of games use different swords as the same "class" for a given character and they can wield them all just fine, with maybe differences in speed or reach), but he does specifically use katanas, while Frog gets the more general western looking swords. Anyhow, either make it thinner or longer, or maybe both.

Not sure about OP, but in my own case, I didn't have much access to much in the way of video games in general until maybe five or six years back, so there's still a lot I need to catch up on, classic or current. I can't remember having heard much on them from other students back when I was in school when I was younger, either (I know JRPGs can be a bit niche compared to so other games, but I honestly can't recall even hearing other students talking about Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, or other somewhat mainstream ones back in the day, and I certainly didn't hear much on the more niche ones).

OK
Since everyone seems to agree that you have to emulate to play the good games, I'll just emulate shit.

I'm going to play the following

I think this is a good place to start and this is a shit ton of games. But please tell me if I should replace something from these with a different game.

Breath of Fire 3 is better than every single game you put on that list. Only FF9 and CT can hold a candle to it, out of everything on that list.

Are you a nigger by any chance?

DQVIII is considered the best DQ by far and is different enough that it won't sour your experience with the older games. Play it faggot.

You have also been told about the Souls Trilogy, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. They are action RPGs with very polished mechsnics, and you want them in your shitty list to not get bored of turn-based systems.

And avoid Breath of Fire, 1&2 are pretty OK but there is better choices, everything after the first two is pure shit although Dragon Quarter had some interesting ideas.

With some of those Final Fantasy games you have various options you might want to research as far as which versions are ideal for playing, between extra content and English script quality, and some versions also have fanmade patches (such as FFVI GBA have a color restoration patch, if memory serves).

Dragon Quest V also has the SFC original and PS2 remake fan translated.

If you think that's a lot you should see my backlog, even just looking at the JRPGs in it. But yeah, that ought to keep you busy for a while.

Take these if Wild Arms ever seems of interest to you.

What the hell are you on about? If anything, BoF I was the weakest of the original four (and not by being bad, but just somewhat bland).

BoF 2, 3, and 4 are fucking masterpieces kill yourself you huge faggot.

I'll add it to the list.
Right now I'm starting FFIV

Why's everyone only picking at the Persona shit when everything else he speaks of is just as shit?

Last I heard, Tales of was littered with crap games and anything made by current Square should be taken with a block of salt.

DQVIII is the entry point of DQ.
Sucks DQX never ever, that seemed like it would've been the perfect game.

It's worth mentioning that Breath of Fire has a chronology of sorts between BoF I, II, and III. BoF I's a bit bland, but helps introduce the vibe of the series as well as the world, while II and III are pretty good. If you ever play BoF II though, the fan retranslation patch is practically a must, as Capcom did a pisspoor job with it (even BoF I had a better, if still iffy, translation) in both the SNES and GBA versions, because apparently it was deemed better to reuse the same shitty official translation twice, than do what Square had started doing at the time and retranslate it.

I mean, I suppose the games are stand-alone enough (unlike, say, Shadow Hearts Covenant is to Shadow Hearts), but playing them in order might add more to the experience and be able to pick up on connections (hell, the opening scrawl of BoF III is a mural of the final battle in BoF I if memory serves).

Tales is pretty decent, but they're not exactly known for having all that well written of stories (though they serve well enough to drive the games), and are much more of games you play for the combat and character interactions. Of course, I suppose if one can't stand anime, they're likely not going to enjoy Tales.

I suppose it was for a lot of people given how well it did out here (wasn't it the best selling one in the west until IX, or something?), but I've generally seen people also say that III, IV, and V are also other good places to start the series with.

Emulation or bust OP, the PS1 emulation is for all intents and purposes perfect and all the must play RPGs can and should be played on it because not many of them have been ported as far as I'm aware.

If your PC is dogshit then of the 5 N64 RPG games I recomend Paper Mario, Ogre Battle 84, Hybrid Heaven, Aidyn Chronicles: the First Mage. Those last two for pure novelty though since no other game has done what Hybrid Heaven has done abut it's av erage otherwise whereas Aidyn is an open world RPG that beats Morrowind by about 1 year. It doesn't have much going for it since it's Quest 64 on steroids I only recommend it for novelty.

All 4 of these RPGs are long, and I mean long you will not typically beat these games on one sitdown over the weekend unless you skip everything and rush.

It still surprises me a bit that BoF IV got a JP/EU PC port. Admittedly though I'm not sure how good a port job it was.

Found some old /vg/ rec.

That list looks decent but it lacks ARPG's, add Terranigma(SNES) and maybe Star Ocean:First Departure(PSP) and you are good to go.

Oh and be sure to check the emulation general to learn how to properly emulate games, if i see you using ZSNES unironically i'm going to fucking kill you i swer on me mum.

A lot of anons here have irrational hate for anything Persona, just check the Persona threads and you'll see how triggered shitposters get when someone is having fun with a Persona game.

It has good and bad games just like any long running IP.

This is what I have open right now.

DQVIII sold over 1million copies compared to the older games hitting at most around 250 or 500k copies which lead to SquareEnix proclaiming the series dead in the west even though it did way better than most if not all other non Final Fantasy JRPGs which still came over.

DQIII is the FFV of DQ, the one game that the oldest of the fans hold onto.
DQIV I never really hear people talk about; just mentioning it whenever they say a list of DQs they enjoyed.
DQV is the FFVII of DQ, people won't shut up about it when it's likely not that great.
DQIX is a hit or miss depending on what you like with the fans being split on people who enjoyed it and people who disliked it.

I wonder when they're gonna release more news on DQXI.

Use mGBA instead mgba.io/nightlies.html

What's the qualification for JRPG here?

Actually, I don't need to know. Valkyria Chronicles, Fire Emblem, Disgaea, Devil Survivor, etc. are not JRPGs.

Hell, I mean, at least those are some FORM of RPG, so I can forgive that, but how in the fucking hell does anyone include Nier on a list of goddamned RPGs?!

Nier is an ARPG, it has upgrades and shit yo.

Can I put in the save I have so far?
It says the format is wrong when I try to switch to mgba

Devil May Cry has upgrades. Dead Space has upgrades. Call of Duty has upgrades.

None of these things are JRPGs. Or RPGs at all.

I'm not telling anyone not to play Nier, because Nier is fucking fantastic, but it's hugely misleading to label it a JRPG.

The way I've seen it is that if it's an RPG and made in Japan, it's a JPRG, going off the idea that the J (or W in the case of WRPG) simply stands for a region of development rather than theme or style. You can tack on a variety of other classifications for gameplay styles onto them to go more specific, but I'd still consider Japanese made tactical and strategy RPGs to be JRPGs of a sort.

Admittedly that half/vg/ image has some issues that people have brought up rather often, and I'm not exactly sure when it was made. It may not be the best thing to go off of, especially since a lot of what's on there are the generally well known things anons are readily aware of already.

Are you the same user that sperged out last JRPG thread over the term "JRPG?"

Heh. I check daily and get disappointed daily.

Considering DQ's status in Japan I guess they do get news updates frequently, but western jounalists are busy spreading their political bullshit and shilling indie nugames noone cares about.

I just want to feel like I felt when playing DQVIII again ;_;

Rename it to "game.sav"

It should work but honestly i haven't used VBA in years.

Anyways, if your save doesn't work you can just start a new game and fast forward the game with mGBA, it's worth the effort since mGBA still gets updated regularly unlike VBA.

I know, i have no idea what's with that chart.

Beats me.

Anyways I guess I'll explain Hybrid Heaven.

So basically it's a cross between a fighter and an RPG and you're basically a dude who shoots a guy in an underground train station in New York directly in front of federal agents and throwdown with those MiB after being dragged into a "secret" door. You fight then fall off deep into a hi-tech mineshaft this is where your adventure begins. Soon you discover monstrous clones of aliens and to stop them you must fight them, with your fists, and a plot to take over the world are you a bad enough dude to save the president?

Exploration is essentially running around collecting consumables and shooting little robots with an EMP thingy this isn't the actual fighting mechanics, you explore looking for keys to unlock doors and otherwise read stuff or just look for opponents and sometimes talk to unassuming NPCs, some action segments break up the monotony.

The actual fighting mechanics is a hybrid between a fighting game and a turn based game you have a gauge that so long as even a smidgen is full you can take an action but until it's full your hits do jack shit oh and you can't combo unless you atleast have two bars full. At any point during the fight you hit Action button and a menu pops up, from there you can choose to attackm and then choose which limb to attack then what attack with that limb. If you or your enemy is attacked then you get a menu that automatically pops up with three options guard, counter, dodge (hint: counter not even once) or you can do nothing. The next option is Items which you can use at any time, and finally combos which you can use when you upgrade your gauge to allow you to do so and what it is, is that you chain attacks in succession however you want so instead of one punch to the face you can give two punches to the face superior to standard attacks because the enemy can only do one defensive action and can't respond to the rest of the combo chain. The other things you can do is switch stance, jog at a light pace the best move in the game, and grab. When grabbing if you don't hit the action button then you can't do wrestling moves, the same grab button breaks the grapple and I believe the enemy can do it to break it like that too (or another button). You can also shuffle around and shimmy back and forth. If an opponent is down the type of attacks you can do changes to attacks for guys lying on the ground you can stomp their shit in over and over again it's great, you can roll them over to prevent them from getting up too. You collect moves by letting the enemy hit you and wrestle you like a little bitch but some moves you can never learn. To grind you let them hit you a bit then you fuck their face in.

Enemy variety is to put it simply very good, you've got your typically animal hybrids then you got your skinless animal hybrids, then you've got your "I don't know what the fuck this is" types, the "human but with a different forehead" only crops up a few times and the first one you find can wreck your shit in if you let him.

Overall I recommend everyone give it a shot, it's one of the best compatible games for N64 emulation.

Tales of destiny directors cut is a pretty good remake of the PS1 version, fun battle system with combo potential, you don't need to learn moonrunes to know where to progress, story is simple and cheesy but that's to be expected from an early entry in the tales of series. There's some bullshit moment with enemies on harder difficulties with status ailments up your ass for a quick party wipe and having to redo the entire dungeon

I'm more bother by the fact so much of the list is just "Final Fantasy [insert number]".

Around the time FFX came out on PS3.

I check monthly for DQX update vids.
DQ is interested in spending its money on game content compared to FF blowing a bunch of money on broadcasting FFXV everywhere for a while; DQXI is getting near its release date and all that's been shown is a gameplay vid back when combat wasn't put in yet.

Been keeping tabs on news about various JRPGs myself, moreso fan-translations. Getting a bit annoyed that Nightcrawler hasn't written an update post since february for Glory of Heracles IV and Song of the Angel SFC, and the guy doing Sol Trigger's translation hasn't said shit since January. And then there's been absolute jackshit from Aeon Genesis about ANYTHING they've had listed as an "active" project since June of last year.

At least Absolute Zero's been keeping people up to date on progress for Tales of Destiny DC and Tales of Phantasia X (and Narikiri Dungeon X) with monthly updates, and the guys working on translating SCS3 are pretty active in updates as well. Dynamic-Designs also keeps putting out surprise translations, though I wish they'd start finishing their JRPGs they've had in the works like Aretha, Aretha II, Oni II, La Wares, and G·O·D.

I'd be willing to try to make something better, but JRPG discussion isn't all that frequent, and I'm pretty certain there'd be spergouts over certain games being put on there, even accounting for variance in taste and some games being a bit hit or miss (for example, I know there's one user around that seems to show up when people speak favorably of Suikoden I and II, claiming that those games being good is just a meme).

To be fair, there's a LOT of Final Fantasy games out there (similar cases with Dragon Quest, MegaTen, and Tales), whereas some other franchises like Wild Arms, Suikoden, Breath of Fire, Shadow Hearts, Ar Tonelico, etc, have a much smaller selection of games. But yeah, one fifth the entire thing being Final Fantasy is a bit much. Especially since (looking at the filesize and going off what I remember) they didn't even make full use of the filesize limit to have more ideas for games people ought to look into.

Absolute Zero's working on bringing it into English.

Downloaded a bunch of SNES roms.
and some others.

Damn. I liked the third game too.

There's still SNES JRPG I'd like to see translated like Soild runner too.

As long as he at least posts something soon, I'm fine. I mean, he does have an existing track record for completing various projects (Dual Orb II, The Magical Land of Wozz, Emerald Dragon) so it's not as annoying as someone picking up something as their first project and then never bothering to update, but he's said both of the games he's working on were getting close to completion, so it is slightly annoying. He used to update every 3-4 months going off his site.

Here's a link if you want to keep tabs yourself.
>transcorp.romhacking.net

What's Solid Runner about?

There's a few other SFC JRPGs that I'd like to see in English someday but apparently no one has picked up for whatever reason, namely Dark Kingdom and Granhistoria.

It's more the fact they have the two most overrated FFs (FFVII, FFXII), the black sheep of the series (FFVIII), and a game that had a large amount of hate (FFX).

Can't say but it's kinda like a some kinda of cyberpunk JRPG.

also it's made by Sting so I expect some kind of weird battle system

FFVIII isn't the black sheep of the series. It, at least, is decently playable. It's almost impossible to get yourself to a point where you're totally fucked.

On the other hands, I'm honestly kind of surprised the series didn't die at FF fucking II.

Yeah, I suppose if it's by Sting it's liable to be an odd one in some way. Surprises me a bit though that they were around that far back though (but then again, I remember being rather surprised to see a US NES game in a local shop that had apparently been brought over by Atlus, who I knew were around in Japan back then, but I didn't know they'd done western publishing for so long).

fug i know which one are you talking about, in fact he was sperging on the OST thread a few days ago because some user posted the Suikoden II OST.

But yeah it's hard to make a chart feedback thread when we have so many resident shitposters like the "shitran kagura" fag, the doa sperg, the salty smt mainlinefag, the "emulation is cancer" fag, that "metal gear is shit and kojima is a hack"fag and assorted Holla Forums shitposters filling up half the thread.

Haven't seen that guy who always shit on your charts though, maybe he finally stopped being salty.

Ever hear of Treasure Hunter G? They made that too.

Hope he finishes it so more people can play the amazing game that is Narikiri Dungeon X.

Those are OK for starters, but Atlus makes far superior RPGs.

I highly recommend playing the best Persona whenever you feel you're ready. (Preferably the 2009 version.) You can thank me later.

He's still here, usually now he tries to catch general system threads early with a "nobody post any charts, they're all shit.

They still say it's likely to be a while before they get done with either game, but they've got a pretty decent track record for actually finishing what they start and having decent quality, so I don't mind waiting as long as they keep people up to date. Apparently with ToD DC, they're even hard coding subs in stuff like victory quotes and MA quips, which don't have natural text boxes.

Embed related, sampling of the intro to the game in English.

Yeah, I've heard of it. Never played it though. I'd swear Square was involved with it somehow, but maybe I'm getting confused with Treasure of the Rudras.

It's in the works, but right now I think all that's being done is menu and system stuff, as they're giving ToPX the focus first. Also something that the script for NDX is surprisingly large, and as such will probably take more time than initially thought.

As it turns out theres the DS version FFIV.
Should I switch to it or stick to the advance version?

They were. Well Sorta. They published it.

It would be the very last Snes game they would do.

The DS one is a 3D remake that changes a lot of things and it's considerably more difficult than the other versions.

I would recommend you to finish the GBA one first then move to the PSP version to play "The After Years" bonus content and then try the DS version.

I think the PSP version is the best one by far.

They released it on PC too.

Don't play the PC version, it looks like shit.

I like the DS version myself (Mato's done an ongoing comparison of all the translations out there and apparently the DS one is the most accurate to the original script), but to be honest, that the only version I've played. From what I've seen reception is a bit hit or miss, between the change from sprites to low poly 3D, voicing for certain scenes, and gameplay changes.

In what way is this a bad thing? I prefer it if the game is more difficult. I always go on the hardest setting if they give us the option.

I would listen to this guy, partially because of triple dubz and almost entirely because I only know that there is a PC version, I don't know if it's cancer or not.

Pirated it. Doesn't look bad.

PSP has sprites+new FX effects and the DS has low poly models, so visually wise i would take the PSP version any day.

Challenge wise the PSP version it's just disgustingly easy, the DS version is way better.

NEVER EVER PLAY FF STEAM PORTS
Those ports are absolute trash because they are broken ports of already broken smartphone ports, pc ports have game breaking bugs that are never going to be fixed.

Never said it was a bad thing, i just pointed out that the DS version is harder.

Also when it comes to JRPG's most of the time harder difficulties mean "enemies now are bulletsponges with 1 shooting skills and you need to grind 100 hours to be able to kill them" like there is very few JRPG's that are actually hard and not just grindy bullshit, The Last Remnant and SaGa Frontier are good examples of good and hard JRPG's.

Square had Matrix Software do the development for the DS version. From my experiences with some of their work (FFIV DS, Nostalgia, Avalon Code), they did pretty decently at low poly 3D, even with the DS' screen being rather poor quality.

JRPGs are grindy and that is a good thing. If you don't like grinding go play a western cinematic experience with trannies and fuck off.

You clearly have never played the game and you are just parroting the same retarded shit that memeisters post every single time the game is mentioned.

Just because some JRPG's are grindy doesn't mean that the genre has to be grindy, most highly regarded JRPG's have little to no grind.

Kill yourself faggot.

Are there any JRPG's that don't involve too much grinding since I got college to worry about soon? I also prefer JRPG's that don't involve mainly going through menus as "gameplay" because I easily get bored.

Well, enjoy playing shitty Square-Enix ports of shitty JRPGs and Trails in the Sky, I guess.

The classic JRPG genre is not for you user, maybe you should try ARPG's focused on gameplay.

Try Y's Oath in Felghana, Gurumin, Dark Souls PTDE, Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma.

If everything fails just go full action games like DMC, Revengeance or Ninja Gaiden to keep your ADHD in check.

Is Monster Hunter Tri good enough? How about Xenoblade Chronicles and Last Story on the Wii?

You looking for older stuff or are newer games fine too? If you liked Chrono Trigger you should try I am Setsuna.

I have been playing Xenoblade Chronicles recently and want a new game that has a lots of things similar to it.

Can someone recommend me a JRPG that has the following:
A story you thought was entertaining at least
Gear customization that alters your appearance depending on what is equipped. NOT just purely extra cosmetic stuff, like the actual armor and weapons in general
A sort of open world environment to explore and find hidden places and such.
A semi real time combat system, even if it is just moving around and things. Sort of like Xenoblade, but not exactly identical.
Different party members that are cool and have neat battle banter.
Hot girls with preferably flat chests, but that is not a necessity.

Suikoden 2
Breath of Fire 3
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vagrant Story - more of a single character JRPG with a bit of dungeon crawling elements into it
Koudelka
Star Ocean 2

Well there's your problem. I played IX first followed by VII and VI, consider either of those, preferably IX.

no FF1, go to FUCK OFF NIGGER
no Secret of Mana, GTFO Nigger
Enjoy your Mario Cancer fest faggot.

OP is a faggot.

shit chart

Triple Triad was shit. The stealing magic aspect was cool but got old by disc 3. At least there was lots of extra shit to stumble across like King Tonberry or Doomtrain & whatnot.

Triple Triad sucks sweaty balls and is on the level of YGO Forbidden Memories.

How can one single person hold so many shit opinions

I'll fite u

Well, Tales games have some banter and weapons change models/sprites, and they're open movement in combat. I'm assuming you've played or don't like those though.

Well FF-12 sort of fits the bill.
Its interesting until mid-game where it goes batshit crazy. I prefer the cast and how they interact quite frankly.

The license board allows one to create custom characters. You can make each character focus on something (magic, brawler, jack of all trades etc), making a balanced party for every scenario. The weapons are pretty nicely designed, however armor does not change appearance.

FF-12 probably has the most vast world to explore compared to other FFs. Its absolutely beautiful and full of secret monsters and places to find. Can get a bit tedious to explore.

Its sort of ATB on steroids. The gambits are essentailly orders on how the characters should act, these are all customizable and can vary between characters. A good party has each character have custom orders. One can play without this as well, it makes the game harder though. Combat stops when choosing an action (this can be removed in the menu, I personally recommend this so as not to stifle the flow of combat).

Vaan is a whiny cunt, you get used to ignoring him. Penelo has an amazing ass and hips. The rest of the cast is actually interesting, Balthier is top-tier husbando. (4/6 interesting characters is not a bad cast). You get to explore them relatively well and their interactions between each other are enjoyable.

None of the girls (3) have big ass tities. They're not flat either, except maybe Penelo. However, if you're and ass and hips man you'll thoroughly enjoy them.

Radiant historia is like chronno trigger ,go with it .

Planescape torment is not a JRPG but very "JRPG" like(look for the right builds on gamefaqs to enjoy the game)

I am playing Dragon Quest V and looks fun(have started right now)

see

Wait, I thought FFIV was the one they ported the mobile version of that popped cheap looking pictures over the sprites; was that FFV?

FFXII is dog shit.
The story was fucking stupid and had you run around for no reason while the characters are either shit or have great asses beyond the pirates.

It's still corridor level shit.

They helped me push to the finish.

I can't seem to find a screen of this, but if you prop the camera well enough against a wall with ashe in the right position you can have a nice upskirt shot to what looks like her very hairy pussy.

I'm not if it was my teenager brain filling in the gaps and making me imagine I could actually see her vagina or if it was supposed to actually be it, but I thought it would be interesting to mention.

Sorry for the interruption

Is Xbox-exclusive JRPG an oxymoron?
any generation

Dragon's Dogma, Tales of Vesperia, DaS and DeS.

Dragon's Dogma lacks

Tales of Vesperia lacks

DeS and DaS lack

Start with MH3rd HD for PSP, you can emulate the game using PPSSPP, check this pastebin.com/GaKfEChk

Both are great games and you should play them, just keep in mind that Xenoblade is a long game.

Shin Megami Tensei Nine
Infinite Undiscovery
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
That's about it, The Last Remnant and Tales of Vesperia were just timed exclusives.

Wild arms 3

Always good to see more Wild Arms love around.

Not sure how many versions of FFIV have ended up with mobile phone ports, but yeah, Square's prone to fucking around with the graphics for the ones that used 2D spriting. Hell, if memory serves they even screwed up the way the graphics for the mobile Dragon Quest ports look.

I think they only went as far as the text/UI.

This fucking game.

I don't know, from what I saw of the spriting for the phone versions something seemed… off. Like they'd stretched the background pixels while leaving the character sprites at the original ratio. I'll see if I can find an image.

So how is I am Setsuna Holla Forums?

Fucking shit saving a vid link…

See it in any of these?

I bet it's shit.

Maybe. It was a while back someone pointed it out. Think it was from the ports of I, II, or III, as the others seem based off the DS ones.

Something still seems a bit off to me, but I suppose I'd have to compare them to the SFC versions directly (which I assume they're based on; still need to give those versions a go).

Assuming that was meant as "Insulate," I'm guessing that's a typo Square didn't bother to catch or fix?

Thinly veiled attempt to make him hate RPGs

If only we were so lucky.

If it's none of those, then it's DQII since I posted DQI and DQIII pics with that post.

Considering they carelessly typoed "esper" into "espier" in their mobile version of FFVI (or so I recall hearing; did they not just plug the same existing translation script in, or have some intern have to enter it all by hand for whatever reason? Just wondering how exactly that happened), I'd hope it was just a typo there for that spell, but yeah, with modern square and how they let Dragon Quest be handled, I can't say for sure. Though I suppose it would be telling as to if it is or not if they've taken to using that same spelling throughout the series.

I swear, Square-Enix, be it the western or eastern branch, has purposely been fucking over Dragon Quest for western fans.

Same way they spelt the stronger version in DQIX.

Best chance we have at getting the games unfucked is if the head of Localization up and dies or quits.

I suppose Square's been hit or miss back in the old days (what with letting Woolsey take some liberties here and there, though as far as I've heard he wasn't given much time per game, and I assume character/line limits would have resulted in some amount of trimming), but there's certainly a difference between, say, their work translating Wild Arms 3 for Sony, and some of the recent shit like tumblring the moogles in Type-0 ("mog" apparently not cutting it as an established pronoun?) and the butchery that went on with Bravely Second.

Does Square still whore out Dragon Quests' translations to other companies, or is it internal now?

Last couple games were done by Schloc LTD; whether they're part of SE, I do not know.

Going off their webpage they apparently had worked with Square and Nintendo (NoA?) as freelance translators before starting their own their own company. Wouldn't surprise me if they picked up some bad habits working with either or both, though it sounds as if that would have been prior to 2008.

Makes me wonder if they themselves choose to fuck up Dragon Quest with text accents, or if Square themselves tells them to on the idea that it's what fans expect and/or "want" from the series at this point.

It existed before they did it, the accents got started by Richard Honeywood who used to work as one of Squares translators. The reason it's still going is because the head of localization (in Japan) got it in his head that the only reason it sold is because of the accents. He has said that he doesn't want to bring a DQ game over without accents which has kept him from bringing games over because doing them costs so much.

Okay, I suppose I can see how back in the day with DQVIII on the PS2, western fans might have expressed liking the accents, but I'm pretty sure the games would sell just fine without needing localization induced accents; really just needs to be marketed decently (which to my knowledge was the real difference in sales between VIII and the earlier games they'd brought over; that and having a FFXII demo disc, anyhow). Not like Dragon Quest is something really niche either (being one of the more mainstream JRPGs); done right in translation and marketing I'd think they'd do just fine. But I get the feeling that the main games Square wants to make that good a marketing push for these days are Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts (and between FF's popularity and Kingdom Hearts being partially western already due to the Disney aspects, I'm not sure just how much either need at this point).

Though I'd have to wonder, if they were to suddenly try bringing a game over without the accents, would it result in another "Nep Rebirth" type situation, where part of the playerbase bitches at their absence (the way some complained that Neptunia Rebirth Volume 1 didn't have memes, or whatever), resulting in more fuckery?

TearRing Saga translation v0.99 released:

serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=53111&st=0&p=3704216

The accents weren't the reason people bought it though. A lot did enjoy them but that doesn't mean you should start retranslating the scripts into beyond broken English.

Yes, there will be people who have issues with no accents but they don't have to worry about it changing since this is SquareEnix, they'll ride the shit train into the bowls of hellish bankruptcy.

The last remnant

;_;

Good video. Although, I've always thought most Holla Forumsirgins actually considered JRPG to be a catchall term for all RPGs that come out of Japan (except maybe Japanese table-top, but that's mostly more out of ignorance or forgetting actually do exist rather than being a direct exception). And so, I'm not really sure why you're rebuking people in the thread. OP only mentioned Child of Light because it's of a similar style to Japanese Console RPGs, and OP freely admits to ignorance when it comes to RPGs from Japan.

Are you saying OP and everyone else in the thread should start calling these games as Light RPGs or Console RPGs? I mean, we usually just refer to those as Traditional JRPGs because they actually are representative of the mainstream when it comes Japanese video game RPGs. Despite that, Strategy and Tactics RPGs, MonRPGs, Dungeon Crawlers, and ARPGs also get mentions in these threads - so using the Light RPG and Console RPG terms might exclude those to some extent.

True. Especially when it results in a game having to spend that much more time in editing. I mean, I assume the initial translation is accurate enough, but not only are they having to reword things so they flow well in English, but are also having to take extra time (and money) to rewrite it with accents.

Really, the only times accents (or foreign words) should be used is either when the original script had them (thus, a substitution for a regional accent or Engrishing; Yeager in Tales of Vesperia, for example, throws around a fair amount of Engrish in the Japanese version, the effect of which is substituted with German in the English release), or, in the case a game is set in the real world (which is admittedly rare for JRPGs), a character might need to have the accent/words for the sake of proper atmosphere (FtNW's Ricardo, who speaks English with a Spanish flair, being of Mexican blood; not real sure how the Japanese release handled him, honestly). However, this keeps in mind that a game doing this should be voiced, with the text dialogue left in plainly legible English for the sake of clarity (a certain amount of cohesion also helps, provided there's other characters that would need to speak the same; playing through FtNW right now, Ricardo has been the only directly Mexican character I've seen, at least that's voiced).

Stupid that Square-Enix has been doing so for text-only games, both wasting resources AND making them hard to understand unless you're used to reading text accents (I've got some amount of tolerance since a book series I read as a kid did that, but even then there's certainly times I still find it annoying, especially when it's localization induced and ought to have been left in plain English).

I've seen general amounts of debate over whether JRPG represents simple region-of-origin, or encompasses a particular gameplay/thematic style. I more or less favor the first since you can tack on other descriptors for more of an accurate idea of what a game is like (turn-based, real time, traditional, strategy/tactics, [X] inspired, etc). Treating it instead as a gameplay and/or thematic vibe is what opens up things like people calling clearly western developed RPGs like Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, South Park: The Stick of Truth, and some other games as being JRPGs since they borrow various elements (and I've seen people do that, though admittedly I'm not sure if they were being serious or joking), as well as claiming various JRPGs that borrow more-western elements as being WRPGs instead.

I suppose it's really up to interpretation though. I prefer treating it as a regional descriptor. Just my take on it.

You start playing JRPGs by not wasting your time playing JRPGs

Speaking of Quintet, I seem to recall hearing there's a difference in difficulty between the US release of ActRaiser and the Japanese one (which also has a translation patch), though I suppose I might be wrong. Is one version in particular better than the other to play?

Confirmed for never having played the game. The story is garbage (still relatively interesting until midway) and the vharacter interactions are top tier. Its probably the best FF cast (that says a lot about the series considerimg two of them are annoying)

don't listen to those faggots, I almost skipped it too
it's the best in the series

Get a GameBoy emulator and check out SaGa 2 and 3 Final Fantasy Legend II/III.
I think there are DS RomHacks for at least one of those with Japanese/English translations, if that's more your style.

I played the game, I just have better standards for calling something vast when it's just a bunch of slim routes occasionally connecting to a big space of land.

Character interactions are shit and the cast is almost all terrible; Ashe is an uppity bitch, Vaan is Scrappy Doo, Basch doesn't do shit memorable and I don't think Fran has much done either. One thing I'll give Penelo for being a shoved in character, she doesn't say much.

If that's what the best cast is for Final Fantasy, it's far worse off than I thought.

Nigger please.

Her character is built around revenge and the weight of responsibility for her kingdom, Dalmasca. She grows as a character realizing that the Empire is not evil re-incarnate, mainly thanks to Larsa. She realizes that the equivalent of nukes and nuking the empire won't bring back his husband, thanks to Vaan, pretty much the only useful thing Vaan did in the game.

A man who has found a new home and will do anything to protect it, despite what his name entails - a kingslayer. Unlike his brother he understand his duty is to his new home, he is not a dog to the whims of his leaders.

0 Development whatsoever

Ex-judge turned FUCKING SKYPIRATE. He is badass reincarnate, quips galore. He is so badass he is willing to kill his own god-damn father because in his eyes, his father is already dead. A man lost to his own hubris.

If you need everything explained neatly in exposition in a game then its no wonder it all went over your head. Likewise
Again, nigger please. You can straight up blindfold yourself in FF13 and walk forward all the way to the end of the game with the ocassional button press. The world in FF12 is richly detailed and vast for what it was, a PS2 game, it is much more vast than any other FF game. Its full of hidden places unaccesible unless one bothers to mingle with the world, talking to NPCs. In other words, what any sane person that plays JRPGs would do. It has many sidequests (not counting the Marks) and the monster variety is top fucking notch.

There's fan translations for both the DS ones at this point. Not sure how they compare with the Game Boy originals though. I don't see much discussion on SaGa in general.

It might've had a better cast than the other games if it wasn't barely half finished.

Last I checked, she treated her people like shit, had hallucinations out of nowhere of her dead fiance or whatever, and the reason she didn't nuke the place was because she was being used and even though they hyped the crystals up to be so devastatingly powerful that would have given the Empire the ability to keep everyone under their foot with the game being about the heros eventually learning of some they can get to help defeat the empire, the team somehow marches up to Vayne and defeats him drunk off the crystals power and then again while he's still drunk off the power and fused to a rogue alien god.

They had nice distraction tactics.

Only truly great character.

Vast for a Square game, there were RPGs that felt like an actual world than a bunch of interconnected routes leading to the same place.

Like every other PS2 RPG, they just didn't save most of it for post game like the others did (since did didn't have one). Items that were rigged against you finding them because of the idiotic chest rules, secret summons, and areas that were supposed to be something but the story got cut so it's just there.

They all suck for information with the most they give is the usual talk of their world.

Hunting and errands with the only real interesting quest being the notCactaur family taking over the village by the river; everything else was just MMO level bullshit.

I did enjoy its bestiary.

Also,
What surprised me the most was that was never really brought up. I mean half of the population of Dalmasca straight up live in slums under the city like mole people.

This is exactly what I claimed, I know games do it better than FF12 but its still the best world for an FF.

Absolutely agree here, fucking chest system sucked big old donkey dick. Is it too much to ask for an FF12 that has all the good stuff from IZJS ie
But without the other crap like

It just came out of nowhere with him egging her on to kill all Arcadians and she questions nothing of it until you get to the stone at the top of the tower.

To be fair, that was post Arcadian takeover with its use having been trade storage or whatever.
I was talking more about the team and those mooks that were running with her before she met up with you.

I still prefer the overworld. I will always hate it for taking away flying around in an airship.

Totally agree, I don't know why people are so into that shit excuse of a class system; if they really wanna gimp their skills, they can do it to themselves.

The other thing that sucked about the game is the need to hunt shit to get potions, the casters can't even hit enemies to gain more MP like with DQ mages while the only skill that gives MP having the chance to drop it down to zero.

Nope. Remember its got a whole fucking economy down there. There's shops and houses all over the place meaning people lived there during Dalmasca's sovereignty. These people live a stairway away from fucking sewers filled with monsters for fuck's sake. Meanwhile Arcadia has fucking flying cars and skyscrapers. they do have slums outside the city but atleast they''re not mole people

I know what you mean, I only had 2 dedicated casters in my party, I just used the rest of the characters MP pools as storage for syphoning. Even so that wasn't as practical as ethers. The worst part about using Charge, apart from the possibility of losing all MP, is that with successive use the chance of a loss increases for some fucked up reason so its not even a coin-toss, its just inevitable loss.

I played every game posted in here. Anything else to play?

The story is awesome.

Good for you cunt Have you seriously played every JRPG in this thread, I sincerly doubt it

Compared to what it could've been or the route it took mid-way for no reason? The story looked like it was going to be a coming-of-age story for Vaan, then it shifted to politics of the realm (which I find to be the most interesting) and then it turned into catch-me with the Draklor laboratories/space race/nuclear race. The tone was all over the place mate

What made you think that i would care if you believe it or not? Either you know a game that is so unknown or not.

I love Penelo's thighs.

Get the fuck outta here

Nothing wrong with forgotten games if they're good user.

While I suppose it's certainly possible to have played all the classic ones that came west, I doubt you've played all the fan translated ones. If you're bored, maybe give some of those a try.

If you have played all those games you should have more than enough experience and knowledge to find new games by yourself, in fact with all that experience you should be the one recommending us stuff.

Played some Mystic Ark today.

It's awfully puzzle forced(Although not to the extant of say. Lufia 2)

Meant focused.

What translation were you using for it? Been wondering about that since it's one of those few JRPGs that has more than one translation by different groups (In this case, Aeon Genesis and Dynamic-Designs).

Also hope you're not trying to call puzzles for progression bad (I really like how Wild Arms handled that), but I suppose whether it's enjoyable depends on how well thought out they are, whether it's obtuse in what it wants or even translated well in the first place (WA2 has a puzzle towards the end of the game that I don't think anyone would fault someone for looking up the answer for, between it being out-of-game trivia and the hints not being translated all that well).

Not bad. Just interesting is all.

I'm using AG's patch.

Guess I'll go with that one then if it didn't seem like there were stand out issues. Ideally I'd assume both AG and D-D's translations would be roughly the same if done right, but it's always an odd case when you actually have options for something as far as different fan translations go.

Anyone played Tales of Zestiria?
Last one I've played was sales of Vesperia any of the newer ones worth getting or older ones I should go back and play?

I've played most of them, though I haven't touched Zestiria just yet. Anons that are fans of the series seem rather hit or miss in regards to it, though I suppose it could be said that all of them past Vesperia get that sort of love it or hate it treatment here.

What all have you played? I've played most of the ones that came west, in the main series anyhow. Could maybe give you some opinions on what you haven't played yet.

I have only really played Vesperia to the end, going through abyss now on the 3ds since I heard good things though.
I may of played older ones on the ps2 but I can't remember well just watching through Zestiria since its got an anime this season and it looks interesting enough.
best scene so far

You can save at any point in the overworld and at save shimmers usually mid-way through dungeons and before a boss

You are such a pleb I am trying not to think about it before I get enraged at your ability to play Chrono Trigger for the first time but refusal for the niggerest of reasons

Alright, I'll get to writing something brief (though it's going to take a bit of time, but real quick, in regards to Abyss, it is a solid game, but VERY much love it or hate it. Not that it doesn't have some actual issues (camera slowdown and loading issues in the PS2 original, story pacing issues, and being buggy in the original Japanese release), but it's mostly due to the characters being a fair bit different from the usual JRPG party, in that early on the seldom get along well, and Luke starts out rather hatable. It's not my favorite, but I do really like the game.

Yeah you want to punch Luke in the face at the start, im past the point where he is getting better as a character now.
Just try out the newer ones too see if I like them or not then?
or do you have a favorite to recommend?

Well, I would at least recommend giving Eternia and Symphonia a go as well, they're my favorites along with Vesperia. Phantasia is also worthwhile, though you need to keep your options in mind as it's had a number of ports and remakes, and the GBA version the west saw is garbage compared even to the prior ones.

In my experiences the newer ones (Graces f, Xillia, Xillia 2) are still pretty enjoyable, though all have some notable flaws to them, and in general anons seem to find them love it or hate it entries from what I've seen.

I would recommend maybe given some of the older ones a go before the newer ones though. I haven't had much problem with them (my experiences have been all over the place with the series, newer to older, to newer to older etc), but some do note that due to refinements and added features, the older ones can be a bit hard to go back to if you're really used to the later ones.

Also still writing, might be a while on the opinions on various titles. Done through Legendia right now; might leave Abyss and Vesperia out since you don't need those ones. I will say that Vesperia PS3 now has a full fan translation patch though (you can find it prepatched at Nicoblog), if you want to play the extended release in English. Requires a CFW PS3 though.

I'll keep my eyes on those ones then.

How do you apply the ps3 patch, or is that for an emulator?

There's no PS3 emulator just yet to my knowledge, but you can patch it and then play the file on a CFW PS3.

If you want patching instructions, check here:
talesofvesperia.net

They also have a browser version of the script, though it's not as ideal as playing with the text directly on the TV screen.

Well this took a while, and will take multiple posts.

Cless’ time-traveling adventure to get revenge on Dhaos, the “Demon King.” SFC version is rather clunky being the earliest game in the series, but has since had a number of remakes. SFC and PS1 versions are fan-translated (PS1 version even has a choice of two different translation options), GBA version is a horrid frankensteining of the SFC and PS1 version. Has two PSP versions, the latter of which (Tales of Phantasia X) saw the added voicing from the former, extra content, and gameplay tweaks bringing it more up to par with Eternia as far as fluidity goes. ToPX and it’s bundle game, NDX, currently being fan translated. Avoid the GBA and mobile versions, play the PS1 version if you want better the most fluid version in English, or if you want to see the series from the start, play the SFC one.

A favorite of sorts in Japan, but never got real popular here in the west, likely due to poor marketing and the PS1 having a lot of JRPG competition. Runs on an engine similar to Phantasia SFC and therefore is still rather clunky in some ways. Has an apparently excellent PS2 remake and Director’s Cut of said remake, but Namco never deemed it worth the time to bring west (Absolute Zero is now fan translating it). PS1 version has no PSN rerelease and is expensive as hell at $75-100 (local prices here) if you actually want it. Emulate or play as an eboot via PSP.

Named Tales of Destiny II in the US due to copyright issues. Smooths out the combat and adds fluidity to both melee AND spells. Pretty darn fun game and a good entry point; overall pretty good translation for the time, too (barring “Sekundes Corridor” how the fuck did they not realize Collider is what they were going for there?). Dubbing is a bit hit or miss, though it strikes me more as having been bad direction than poor acting (I found it more charming than bad). No PSN release either, and is even more expensive than Destiny is at $90-120 where I live. Has a native PSP port that SCEA apparently didn’t want to be brought to the US, though it did come to Europe (they didn't get the original PS1 version either).

Actual sequel to Tales of Destiny on the PS2 and PSP. Can’t comment much on as it’s not in English. Supposedly has a patch in the works, though Cless (the guy translating it, not the Phantasia character) is fucking slow as hell (Twelve years to translate and patch Phantasia!) and hasn’t posted any updates on his site for the last few years. Has a script translation on GameFAQs by lanyn at gamefaqs.com/ps2/561922-tales-of-destiny-2/faqs/58741

A fan favorite and for a long time the most popular entry in the series. A distant prequel to Phantasia, many western fans started with it due to it getting actual marketing and relatively few JRPGs on the Gamecube to compete against (hence “baby’s first tales” as some call it), it makes for an easy entry point due to lots of content, generally likable characters, and fun (if at this point in the series, simple compared to later titles) combat. Combat handles much like Eternia’s (the game in general is a mesh of elements from Phantasia and Eternia in various ways), albeit on a 3D plain. No free roam for the player though. While some have claimed “nostalgia” as why people like it, I personally don’t think that’s the case as I first played it a few years back and loved it. PS3 version is based on an unlocalized PS2 extended port, and has the same pros and cons as the prior PS2 one. Which is better, the GC or PS3 one, is up to the player.

An oddball entry made by a guest team of Tekken and Soul Calibur debs, and it shows. Even series mainstays Kosuke Fujishima (artist), Mitsumi Inomata (artist), and Motoi Sakuraba (composer) were absent from the entry, replaced by Nakazawa (artist of Samurai Champloo) and Go Shiina (composer). Very much a hit or miss title for a number of reasons, namely just how different it is. English version also has an odd issue in that the second half the game (character quests) are unvoiced. Has a really good OST. Not for everyone.

Another PS2 (and PSP) game the west didn’t see, and again, I can’t comment on it too much as it’s not in English. Has a neat looking Tri-line battle system. Patch supposedly in the works, but no updates for the last few years. Has a translation script at GameFAQs, also by lanyn ( gamefaqs.com/ps2/920236-tales-of-rebirth/faqs/52311 ).

Another Japan only entry, but this time with a finished fan-translation patch by Absolute Zero. Unfortunately my computer is a toaster and I don’t have a DS flash cart, so I haven’t played it yet. Has a Vita remake that I hear is a lot better than the DS original, but Namco never deemed it worth the effort to bring west. Perhaps when the Vita is more open to fan translation it too will be in English.

Japan only on the DS, but brought west on the Vita. Fun battle system and audio left undubbed, but because Namco didn’t care to bring it over until SCEA begged them to, they didn’t bother to keep 8-4 on as tight a leash as usual (they’ve translated for Abyss, Vesperia, Graces f, and Xillia), they REALLY fucked it up. Kajitani-Eizen (who had been working on fan translating the DS version prior, before canceling it out of respect for Namco opting to bring the Vita version over) was fucking pissed, and by his estimates, having worked with Hearts’ script before, is only 40% accurate, with the rest being fucked with. Hopefully some day it will get a fan retranslation patch to untuck it’s shit (maybe Kaji would be willing to do so, given how mad he’d been at Namco).

Enhanced port of the unlocalized Wii original version featuring, in addition to general new content and fixes, an entire 15-20 hour post game story arc. Really fun, flashy combat (basically tries to apply the PS2 Remake of Destiny’s combat system to a 3D game) and character interactions through the skits, but the story is really meh, even by Tales standards, and the cast runs the gamut of enjoyably likable to mid-tier to downright bad/boring (and in the case of Richard, he jumps between all three of them depending on the part of the game).

Tales 20th Anniversary title. Features dual protagonists Jude (a med student that fights as a brawler; the latter of which hadn’t been seen in a protagonist since Legendia) and Milla (a spirit who fights with sword and magic), with some scenes exclusive to each character. Features a link system to partner two characters together into either a Player/AI or AI/AI bond, complete with various abilities that can only be used when a character is a linked AI. Hybrid TP/CC style resource system. Bit of a hit or miss game due to it being somewhat rushed (which namely results in the post game being rather lacking, barring the Arena and an extra dungeon you have to clear three times to fully beat), loss of a true overworld (something that had already happened with Graces f; if anything, Xillia is more open), and the link system infringing on co-op ability due to need for AI.

Direct sequel to Xillia by a year or so, featuring a new protagonist, Ludgar Kresnik, who wields dual blades, handguns, and a sledgehammer, and can swap between weapons (and arte maps) on the fly during combat, leaving him incredibly versatile and fun to play. The entire cast of the previous game returns and are fully playable, and even two antagonist characters join as well, having mellowed out some, for a total of nine characters. Story is rather dark and melancholy, though not exactly out of place. Link system is pretty much the same, but doesn’t allow for swapping characters out mid combat like X1 (most likely since there’s too many character to make the same swapping system work). Bit hit or miss due to content reuse (to be fair, it is mostly the same world so having the same locations make sense; a particular gameplay mechanic for “what if” style scenarios for further character development also makes it feel a it more justified in doing so), Ludger being locked in the party on an initial playthrough, various characters being locked for certain missions (usually slot 4 is left free so you can bring whoever), and the debt system (though when you get a feel for how to manage your money, it’s no big sweat, and the game gives you PLENTY of ways to do so). Oddly enough, perhaps due to the theme of player choice, Ludger is more or less a silent protagonist outside of combat (and a few “yeah” or “right” during skits), but is still very physically expressive (he can be voiced on NG+ as a GRADE shop purchase).

Anyhow, I've generally liked all the ones I've played through (and I've played Phantasia PS1, Eternia, Symphonia, Legendia, Abyss, Vesperia, Graces f, the Xillia games, and some of Hearts R), though Eternia, Symphonia, and Vesperia are my favorites (honorable mention to Abyss and Xillia 2 as well), but maybe my standards might be lower than some peoples. I mean, I've even seen various anons have arguments about where the series "died" (or if it even did), and some will outright claim it died after Phantasia.

It's also worth mentioning that, on the off chance you weren't aware, the console entries, barring Phantasia SFC and Legendia (again, oddball entry) all have the option for multiplayer co-op, up to four players, through switching the control setting for a character slot to "Manual." This can add an additional layer of enjoyment with the right people, though at times either the co-op camera (in the earlier entries) or gameplay mechanics (Xillia and Xillia 2's link system; also hear Zestiria's fusion system hampers it) sets a bit of a lower threshold on how many people you can play with (you can still play with up to four players, but it may not be ideal). And as an aside, some people don't like playing the healer characters, at least in the earlier games where they're not as versatile or fun to actually play. Some games require an equipped item to access Manual mode (Technical Rings in Phantasia and Destiny; Phantasia PS1's is obnoxiously far into the game, both for co-op or even just getting Cless out of fucking Semi-Auto; the Phantasian Productions patch includes a hacked in technical ring due to how annoying 8-10 hours of semi-auto is), others require a key item to be found (the Manual Manual in Eternia and Graces), but a lot of them have just taken to having the Manual option built in from the start.

Again, it might be better to start with the earlier ones than the more recent ones if you plan on playing the older ones at some point. As far back as Eternia though, the combat has a decent fluidity to it (Phantasia PS1 tries to improve the melee combat, but didn't quite get there for spells), even if the combat isn't as refined overall as the later ones, and Eternia, Symphonia, and Vesperia have struck me in my experiences as good entries for people to either play first or at least early on. Some of the other ones, like Abyss or Graces, might leave the wrong impressions in various ways. But that's just my take on it.

I've been debating about making an infographic for the series, but it already has sixteen-going-on-seventeen main series releases, as well as still being one that sees new ones every year or two, AND a plethora or spinoff games as well (though admittedly most of the escort titles haven't come west). As such, it could get VERY long and actually need updates every so often (compared to some of the now dead series I've tried making stuff for that only need updates with a PSN rerelease comes out).

Non-bumping posts due to chain posting.

Just got EOV demo: very slick.

Right.

I looked up that Angel's song JRPG series too. Looks neat. From I what I gathered the Snes game is the third one.

Sorry man, these things don't mix. Go try out Legend of Mana. It's my personal favorite and you can play with a friend.

Fairly decent and unbiased write-up. I'll add in my own bit, so that it might be a bit more complete.

Cancer.

It is, and the series didn't continue afterword for whatever reason. Unfortunately the two on the PC Engine are apparently unfeasible to fan translate due to voiced scenes without accompanying text to replace, or something. Shame too, since one of my favorite composers (Michiko Naruke) worked on the OSTs for those, while the SFC one has Sakuraba as the composer. Granted, I don't mind Sakuraba as much as some, but it annoys me Naruke would just get dropped from the series, though maybe she was already busy composing for other stuff at the time (according to Wikipedia, there weren't any games she composed for between Song of the Angel II and Wild Arms, so who knows).

Speaking of Naruke, I do hope that Nora to Toki sees a finished patch. The person doing the translation hasn't posted an update in a while, though maybe they're taking a break for the summer.

Just wanted to do something brief about my own experiences with them and what I've seen others say on them, as far as the hit or miss ones go. If I wanted to go full autism with descriptions, I'd probably just make something like (wordy infographics for reposting instead of wordy posts).

Wasn't this one essentially translated as a meme because of how bad it is? Also

Shame. worst part is I actually finished the game its garbage

No. You're thinking of Tales of the Tempest. The game's short enough that Absolute Zero translated it as an April Fools Joke and was a game so bad it split the series into Mothership and Escort title classifications to keep it away from the main series (not that all escort titles are bad; NDX as a prime example of a good one from what I hear of it). They did claim it helped give them more experience though, so I suppose at least something good came of it.

Also, I didn't bother mentioning Symphonia 2 there because it's not a main series title, but at escort one. Still not a good game to play, especially if you enjoyed the first Symphonia.

Oh shit, yeah that was the one I was thinking about. Also, how is Symphonia 2 not a main series title? Its a sequel much like Xillia 2 is right? Its just fucking terrible is all

Poor reception maybe (though maybe Japan likes Symphonia 2? Not sure, but I know Richter is at least somewhat popular there, to the point of being playable in RM3)? Destiny 2 and Xillia 2 meanwhile were pretty well received there (and X2 has a number of aspects that avoid the same issues fans had with Symphonia 2). Plus, maybe Namco wants official main series chronologies to remain at a max of two main games, and Symphonia was already a prequel to Phantasia?

On that note, counting escort titles, the Aselia timeline has the most entries over Symphonia, Symphonia 2, Phantasia, Narikiri Dungeon/NDX, and Summoner's Lineage.

Having played Rebirth, I feel obligated to add my two cents about it. It's another popular title among the fans that have played it, taking a more tactical approach to battles as opposed to the faster-paced combo-oriented fights of other Tales games. Fighting on 3 lines gives you more freedom of movement than a 2D plane, but still allows you to block off monsters and protect your backline unlike a 3D Tales. Protecting your spellcasters feels pretty important in this game, since their spells can hit enemies on multiple lines at ease and give the frontliners an easier time killing. One of the defining traits of Rebirth is its Rush Gauge, which lets you perform more powerful combos when it's high and lets you heal when it's low. This system lets you enter fights with any party you want without worrying about always bringing a healer although only one character can revive dead people. All the 6 party members fulfill a certain role in your party and are all surprisingly fun to play, even the spellcasters. I consider it one of the most thoughtfully put together and interesting Tales games, and Annie is the best.

Thanks for the input. Hope that an English patch comes out eventually.

Wish Namco would have been more open to bringing the sixth gen 2D Tales entries over, but after poor reception of the GBA port of Phantasia (for good reason) and poor western sales of the 2D PS1 entries, they seemed to get it in their heads that the west would only want the 3D ones, or something like that. Or maybe SCEA was pulling some dumb shit in regards to blocking them (didn't stop other 2D games like NIS or Gust's stuff from coming over; also the fact that SCEA blocked the PSP port of Tales of Eternia here in NA due to not enough changes/extra content). I don't know.

V was better.

Try Lunar 1 and 2(it doesn't matter which versions, they're both really good in their own ways), the Breath of Fire series(be sure to play the II with the re-translation patch), and Grandia 1 and 2, which have some of the best combat in any turn based JRPG.

Also, the Fire Emblem games are Tactical RPGs, which are very different from traditional JRPGs. If you want to play them, you should start with Fire Emblem 7(just called "Fire Emblem" in the west.) The Radiant games, especially Radiant Dawn, are not good for beginners.

Considering all the fansubbers who literally did it for free back in the day, I'm not surprised some of them would have gone and made a localisation company like this no matter how much it flops or little shekels it makes.

At least they're doing something they love.

Well, some fan-translators do eventually start working professionally. I know Mato now does official translations for stuff, though I think it's mostly anime now (such as Tales of Vesperia: First Strike) as opposed to working on games. He's got some articles on his site about his experiences with trying to get into the professional world too (apparently at one point he tried to get Square to pick him up and they had him write a Final Fantasy fanfic as part of the hiring process).

anyone know of singleplayer jrpg with artstyle ala Tree of Savior?

Anyone agree that Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth had the best semen demons?

Video is good, but user is right. Calling JRPG a racist term is ridiculous.

(you)

This thread makes me want to fire up an old JRPG… Maybe I'll play Star Ocean 2 again.

The original Wild Arms really isn't that good, though. I played through it recently to see how it was without nostalgia goggles and it does NOT hold up.

Wild Arms 2 on the other hand is still really good.

Wow your opinions are trash. If you're gonna talk shit about Suikoden 2 then this is just not the genre for you.

I really enjoyed them all, even WA4 to a degree, though it's certainly the weakest of the main series. WA1 is a bit simple compared the rest, but still a classic and worth playing, provided one doesn't mind the early 3D graphics in combat.

I always forget that Japan still has Tower Records. Pretty cool.

FUCK

I WANT TO SEE WHO GOT THEM SO I CAN CALL THEM A FAGGOT

No wonder everything they've done has gone to shit.

Still didn't have all my fav Digimon women.

nicoblog.org/psp/ys-vs-sora-no-kiseki-alternative-saga-english-patched/
What the fuck is this? Has anyone tried itďyet? I already installed CFW and i need some games to play.

It's 3d arena fighter with Ys and Sora/Zero no Kiseki characters that uses the Ys VII combat mechnics with some tweeks.

He was apparently trying to get a translation position there back in 2002 (so, before they merged into Square-Enix) and got sent the following as part of the application.
Square apparently didn't like what he wrote as the fanfic and rejected it.
legendsoflocalization.com/i-had-to-write-a-final-fantasy-fanfic-for-square/

I suppose the idea being that they'd want to hire translators that can function as an editor itself.

MUH DICK
It's not like i wanted to play it or anything…

wew lad

The game is good but you won't enjoy it that much if you don't know shit about Ys or SnK.

Nigga if you want good recommendations you need to be more specific about what sort of games you like.

Here's some good rpgs you fucking faggots.

Shit, why is such a godly character designer?

We'll never get a digimon show on par with Tamers ever again though, especially with Desperaman dead. And someone better get Chiaki J. Konaka to get off his arse.

Sad fucking truth.

yeah the japanese version is far more difficult

"The American and European versions are significantly easier than the original Japanese version: there are fewer enemy encounters in both the action and simulation portions of the game, and the action sequences have fewer traps and enemies. "

tcrf.net/ActRaiser

Pretty sure that one's not even in English.

There is a full English text set in the game. The only thing is some of the "poems" that come up in the dialogue when you park at places may sound weird translated.

Hopefully someone will patch it soon.

Wait, you mean it's got just a built in English font someone could make use of, or that the menus/script are already in English in some form? How is that game anyhow? Can't say I've heard much on it.

Also, in regards to other stuff you've posted, with BKO, did it seem like 8-4 removed/changed anything else aside from the option for the PC to be female? I mean, it's bad enough that they even did that, but did anything else strike you as off? That's assuming you've played it though.