RTS thread

Is C&C 3 worth it for single-player alone, it looks dead as a horse on Gameranger.

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/
thebfme.com
cncnet.org/download
cnc-comm.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_strategy_video_games
archive.is/Niwwf
archive.is/Bwwkg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No.

Everything after RA2 is shit.

What about Urban Assault :3

Thanks to elite mod I have a second Windows of enjoyment of Dow II.

C&C3 is worth it for the mods, Single Player is passable but nothing special.

Anyone still up for some CnCNet matches? I haven't played DTA in a long time.

Kanes Wrath is pretty fun 1v1 brutal AI

That RTS infograph is so fucking ugly, I really wish someone would make a proper one already.

Anyone got any into the Cossacks 3 beta? I recall getting an email from them last week but never got a code.

That's not entirely true. Renegade was a fun spin-off, especially for its multiplayer, Generals was good, Zero Hour was even better (this was the last project the westwood staff worked on before most left after being absorbed into EALA), C&C3 was decent but nothing special, and Kane's Wrath improved it considerably.

RA3 was the first game C&C that I'd say was bad, what with the forced AI partner shoved into campaigns to accommodate their co-op mode, retconning all the stories of the previous games and replacing it with their laughable one, cluttered unit design that focused too much on making units all general-purpose with different abilities and less on specialization, and the streamlining of the resource gathering.

Yes, C&C3 singleplayer is legit good. I don't know how but EA made a campaign for three factions that was fun. Nice cutscenes, nice mission design, and the game itself is refreshingly alright. Kane's Wrath is a good improvement on it too, but shorter. There is no C&C4

Yeah theres something wrong with that list, I also dont remember there being a sequel to supcom

Never played AoM, how the shit do people think it's better than AoE2?

But Homeworld: Shipbreakers was released last year

Is he an autistic reptilian.

So anons, most cringeworthy RTS story?

Let it rest in peace

Why no Perimeter?

I don't know why people always recommend Men of War: Assault Squad 2. Sure it's the only game with a live MP community but it has the worst SP of the entire fucking series.

Heres a hint user: Its for the same reason people recommend DOTA or League

That's probably it. Somewhat of a shame though. The first Men of War makes an excellent coop game too.

Probably Red Alert 3

It wasn't cringeworthy but it was overly-cheesy, overly-silly, overly-stupid, and retcons the entire Red Alert series, but the acting was fine though.

It was cringy in relation to the dead serious RA1 and RA2, which only used comical elements in good measure.

I played RA3 just yesterday. If you can look beyond the cheesy stuff, the mission design is surprisingly neat. IIRC it also was one of the first RTS game with a dedicated Co-Op campaign, but I never liked that

RA2YR had multiplayer co-op campaings before RA3, but they were sadly somewhat small compared to it.

He's a jew. So yes

There's a bunch of stuff missing. Also metal fatigue

UPDATED VERSION

now stop being lazy and finish it your selves

it's literally just ms paint

just why

Alright, I'll post some pics of games and you guys tell me if they're too RTT or too city-buildery to put on the list.

Now it looks slightly more symmetrical

Version 2.0

Is it called the autism corner because the guy who made it was autistic?

In part yes. Most people don't enjoy those types of games and those that do are generally a little 'special'.

Also picrelated should go under Tech Demo.

You're literally describing the entire RTS genre in relation to the rest of todays gaming

although i will agree that people who liked the combat mission anthology were a little wird

TW and KW aren't that bad

Generals feels very slow though

Earth 2150 definitely should be on the list. One of the best RTS games ever made (although the enemy AI was shit and Lost Souls in particularly was hard to the point of being unfair).

Speaking of Dungeon Keeper, has anyone played War for the Overworld? If so, did you like it?

Full disclosure: Worked on the game

I'm not sure CoD and similar mainstream shit requires autism but I get your point.

Weird in a good way, of course.

Done also can someone tell me the guy who added the word "water phyistics"
Is that something from the game was a terrible misspelling of physics?

black and white is entirely city builder
black and white 2 had rts elements

it was mediocre at best

honestly it was a good try but it missed the mark by quite abit

yes

I know the perfect place for you user

Since I only play my RTS games in single player, I am thoroughly convinced anyone who shittalks Starcraft 2's campaign gameplay has shit taste

the plot being a steaming pile of shit is irrelevant

But the narrator literally IS Richard Ridings, user.

you're fucking with me, did he really just phone it in?

I don't follow. The developers are British (or at least are headquartered in Britain). They just did recording sessions with him and that's it.

I stole your fix user.

tbh user, i dont think anyone complains about the campaign because of the game play, It how they raped the characters and the lore which pisses everyone off
Also fucking up custom maps and making the game gook click may have also had something to do with it

as in didn't really try nor care

I'm inclined to believe it just was too many lines in too little time. Development was quite rushed near the end.

Also, bear in mind that voices do tend to change over what is more than a decade.

JUST
Now theres no room for anymore still births just so you could add an ambiguous shitty orange corner

it's different for voice actors though, although it being rushed would make sense then

Does From the Depths count as an RTS?

Then use select in paint and move it faggot. There's a ton of extra space in the top right.

I guess

sudo apt-get install warzone2100

After waiting for it to pull its shit together and getting through the lackluster first few tutorial levels, I enjoyed it, but it left plenty wanting.
It included a few knew features over its predecessors that were really enjoyable, like the alchemy lab and sanctuary.
The skirmishes and other post campaign content didn't really appeal to me but what I was really hungry for was a more ground up, endless management mode, like dwarf-fortress.
Going into z-levels would have also been a cool feature.

I think that's what I really want more than a Dungeon Keeper sequel actually. Dwarf Fortress, but with monsters.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that it's interesting how even though the majority would agree that writing in vidya is among the lowest of priorities, having terrible writing can drag down a game so so much

I replay SC2 every year because IMO it has the best RTS campaign I ever played, and while I can skip the terrible cutscenes and dialogue, I can't help but imagine how great it could have been if Blizzard was not buttfuck retarded

For fucks sakes this is not sinking to page 10 you lazy fucks

Campaign missions are fine, except for seemingly every single one of them being some variant of "Get this shit done before some arbitrary condition" which just made it feel like an extended tutorial. At no point did they really just give you an enemy to fight with all of your units available. Probably the closest it came was the one where you had the Odin at the start and had to take the broadcast towers.

Not being able to go back to earlier missions with the later unit unlocks is also disappointing.

star-trek armada was fun as fuck, play the 1st one, 2nd one sucks.

a homeworld clone game would be nice

Why is Total War Attila not in Purgatory

I didn't make that part of the image user. Frankly I think Rome 2 should be in irredeemable shit and Attila in purgatory.

Agreed

I think the problem with this chart is its branching and doesn't really tell you what you're getting into.

Where would it go? It isn't my chart but I'll stick it in.

Well its an RTS set in fantasy not-Japan. The campaign revolves around hero units and the occasional choice which alters which hero unit joins you, however hero units are not as significantly strong as they are in Warcraft, Warlords Battlecry etc. They're more like late game units, fairly tanky and with a unique ability but otherwise not overwhelming. Units are trained by sending your workers into one of three structures, then those units can be trained again at the other two structures to make new units. The game has forced-melee combat, that is if your opponent runs a spearman up to your archer, your archer has to punch and kick them, like Dawn of War.

Quite frankly there's no RTS exactly similar to it.
For the chart in general I'd suggest a spreadsheet that rates traits like 'Micro' 'macro' 'hero focus' 'competitive' 'custom games'. But that's a bit of an undertaking and not as aesthetically pleasing as a flow chart.

Not that this particular flow chart is very aesthetically pleasing. Still can you think of where to fit it in? It seems to have some basic similarity to DoW (lighter on micro/base building in favour of combat, hero units that aren't OP) so maybe there?

Those two games that other user added a while back on the right also need to actually be part of the main progression.

We could start over with the flow chart and clean it up. Begin it with more broad terms like 'Sci-fi' 'modern' 'historical' 'fantasy', then start brancing from there. with C&C landing somewhere between modern/sci-fi.

I mean, the main reason I think this chart works well is because you'rew meant to start at RA2, a game that is still quite good even in the modern day, whereas the original C&C is much slower and probably not as enjoyable. Likewise I think a lot of first-time players wouldn't do well with Starcraft.

There was absolutely nothing serious about RA2, it was every bit a silly as 3.

Now with less wasted space.

That's an option too though it would probably be a better idea to start a thread dedicated to that. Possibly tomorrow since most European anons are asleep now. Part of the problem with the old chart is how many times it's been edited but then that's also part of the charm in my opinion.

Yeh RA2 is the ideal gateway RTS.

meant for>>10227530
C&C and RA1 both have performance issues on modern PC's anyways, or at least i had performance issues playing them.

Did you get the fan patches? The games are free nowadays so you can get the full game with the fan shit installed easily. I'd still say RA2 is a better gateway RTS though.

Thanks, dubsman

RA2 had plenty of serious issues, that the artstyle of the game and some of the quotes/units were a bit comical doesn't stop to the fact that it's still a war against two factions. Yuri was even more serious with the whole mind control thing slaving the entire world, the original game was just poking a joke at the whole cold war gone loose scenario.

Now RA3 lacked any of this, it just goes full retard with everything, specially if you include the awful story into the mix.

If you're still here user what I'm thinking is that the main thing the game does is allow you to customise units fairly heavily (or at least manage their progression/role). It would fit naturally along with Warzone 2100 but that isn't in the chart either so I'm not sure what is similar.

At least I managed to get that other user's games in though I suspect they probably come under 'tech demo'.

Well I tried anyway. Enough autism, time for bed.

My problem is Japan clashed aesthetically. While the Allies and Soviets had sci-fi elements, their bread and butter was infantry and tanks, and their biggest units were boats and zeppelins. Japans first two infantry and fine and their Tsunami Tanks are cool, but everything else is just crazy. Their first vehicle is a hovering anti-infantry that can transform into a flying anti-air fighter, and their later 'iconic' unit is a mech that just looks totally out of place. All of their weaponry screams 'touch screen sci-fi', not 'cold war era but with some sci-fi'.

You mean like that time Adolf Yuri killed over 6 million allied civilians by marching them into grinders?

Don't make threads that are questions.

Yeah and?
How much cheaper would it be to feed your psychic clone army if you grind down captives.

If you think TW's campaigns are good you clearly haven't played C&C '95, RA and TS.

AoE2 with Holla Forums makes a resurgence when?

Believe it or not, it was probably the best console rts ever made. The controls were fluid and the game wasn't too oversimplified and all of it worked really well with a controller.
Problem was it still doesn't hold a candle to any other regular rts game. I would have much preferred halo wars to have and fill the niche that assfaggots do instead of actual assfaggots existing.

It's a general, faggot.

Can't you do this with the Master Archives though?

I can see where you're coming from but I disagree, that shit done varies a lot between missions, enough to make the campaign feel diverse

This bothers me as well, especially because there was easily enough room for a mission like that (like fighting The Ancient One), but nope, gotta make it one of those no-base missions that you can play with your eyes closed

After some googling around, apparently it does allow you only SOME unlocked units, ones that you could have gotten on an optimal path before the mission is question, but no endgame units for non-endgame missions

That's retarded and I'm retarded, my bad

The archives only let you replay an earlier mission, and only with the units you had unlocked then. So if you do the evacuate mission early on, you'll have less choice of units than if you did it later, and you'll always have that selection of units when you redo it in the archive.

There's nice variation in the mission objectives, but I can't remember any mission that just gives you a full tech tree and have fun. As I said before, the closest is either the broadcast tower mission, or the Protoss mission where you're trying to take over the heretics.

Once you get Goliath's, you might as well stop building other units, made worse by science vessels. Goliath's being able to hit air and ground simultaneously makes them the best defenders against everything except long range enemies, but since 90% of missions are defensive or are about competing over an objective you never have to bust into an entrenched position through careful use of units.

I recently played an entire run where I only used infantry in every mission (with the exception of the first battlecruiser mission because while I could have done it with a Hercules dropping on top of those fields, I won it with just the starting battlecruisers). It was a nice change and some of the missions provided an interesting change like the train robbery. I even intentionally took the hard option and didn't kill the flyer for the final mission. Ultimately it was still way too easy.

I tried to find something fun to do in HotS but there is no fun in HotS and I won the game by only ever building queens.

In HotS I often end up trying to spread creep on as much of the map as possible, makes me feel good to look at the minimap and see purple everywhere

Is this autism

Uwot? RA2 was quite campy but RA3 goes full retard

In RA2 the women were attractive but didn't go full whore. They were a bit flirty but not screaming how they want your dick. They looked believable, their clothes included. RA3 just hired some whores off the street put them in some vaguely militaric looking outfits with huge cleavage. I mean I like tits and all that, but RA3 seemed to treat you like a horny 12 year old, which is bad if you aren't one anymore.

Also IIRC some of the unit designs were too goofy (yes RA2 had weird units too but their design was still made to look cool and somewhat realistic)

BRAIN TANK

But seriously, as much as I like RA3 because of its co-op action (that you need to go through special hoops now to make it work because EA shut down the servers), theme-wise it went too overboard and it can never live up to RA2, it just feels like a cheap Rising Sun knock-off in comparison

I did have a bit of hope that it will keep the campy feel when the game started with going back to the past to dematerialize Einstein so the Soviets win the war, too bad it stopped there, right at the beginning (save for a few small moments like the American President being a Jap robot)

Besides, you can't tell me it wasn't cool to play as Japs defending honorable Pearl Harbor from dirty Americans

What do you think of LOTR BFME ?
Witch was the best ?
I, II , Rise of the witch king or edain ?

Point taken. Whenever I think of RA2 I think of the base game because that's what I replay every now and then for the past however long since it came out. Only played YR maybe two or three years ago and didn't enjoy it much.

My only real memory of those games is maing a custom human hero with the spear throw ability maxed and one-shotting every hero my friend threw at me in a 1v1.
Got a lot of salt for that

Dawn of ASSFAGGOTS has no place being even mentioned there.

Didnt they patch that out?
Or am i thinking about the unofficial patch?

meant for

Don't know. must be close to 8(?) years since that happened.

Good luck trying to get those work in modern systems. Its a fucking hurdle and the method doesnt even work with all machines. Worst of all, EA wont probably ever republish them due to expired LOTR-license.

Can anyone Know which game i should play first, Perimeter or Maelstrom?
Haven't tried these two b4 and want to give it a shot

Well then neither would Tiberium Twilight but it's still there

Works fine on mine and its Windows 7
We're talking about OS right?
Honestly you deserve anything you get if you're using Windows 10 or a Mac
my sympathies to those using Linux derivatives and the like

4X, TTS and a bunch of other shit too

I can think of more but space is getting to be an issue

make it even bigger

to do that properly you'll have to redo everything that's already been done otherwise you're just adding stuff onto the side of it

At least it's under the "irredeemable filth" label. Hand me over to the Inquisition for being a psyker, but I predict "dawn of war 3" will belong to the bottom of that category.

We'll find a way.

It might be a good idea to turn it into a .jpg at some point too since the filesize is increasing rather sharply.

You've clearly not been in the threads where faggots argue it was superior to AoE 2.

You're probably right but I'm not sure it's fair to stick it in there until it's out.

I know there were RTS elements too it, But fuck that, i was in it for the creature training
I must have done more harm to my civilians than my enemies

Shadow realm is not just for games you hate anons, Its for games that killed off franchises (or at least a franchises entry into the RTS genre) Total war games are still coming out and i hated Attila even more
Honestly Rome 2 belongs in purgatory, it is no where close to C&C4 levels of awful

Well I'm not entirely sure, but i thought the Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron and Europa were real time grand strategy?
However Sid Meiers Shit was turn based if i remember so why the hell is it on this chart?
I bet it was the same Retard who added the autistic corner

Well, it's more like really really small turns IMO.

Not sure about putting gsg and things like civ on there. Maybe in a very far corner with something like "I think I don't even like RTS" or "RTS is too fast for a pleb like me"

Also Black and white 2 would fit the chart better, even though you could basically ignore the rts elements.

(real-time battles, turn-based campaign)

I was in those threads user and they weren't arguing that it was superior
They were arguing that it was a good game, just not an AoE game.

Most aoe fans despised it for being so radically different, such as city shipments and levels which took far too long to level up in my opinion, However some people found it pretty neat

Like seriously when was the last time you saw people adding new things to the RTS genre? The people making it decided to take a risk and created it, which they probably shouldn't have done for a sequel admittedly, partially alienating some of there aoe fans, but the end result wasnt a bad game

there were other reasons for that user
And the game didnt flunk, I'm pretty sure it was at least a financial success probably because of all the expansions

The only bad thing about it was Revolution, that shit was fucking retarded

Well that counts for total war, not for the paradox-like gsg

Why did that turn out so poorly in BFME2 for multiplayer?
I get ready to try ut a game at lan party that should've lasted for hours and end up being cockblocked so hard

I'm aware user, and whilst i reckon it can be allowed on, i think it fits the genre god simulator better

There was that AoE kingdoms or whatever it was called afterwards, so that would be wrong either way.

if you want to change it, then change it but I suggest not subtracting though

Sure, I wouldn't disagree. Though there are no real hard edges (more of a fluid transition) against certain other genres like city builder, god sim, or something along those lines, you gotta draw the line somewhere.

I don't mind it being on there like I said on the very edges as something of a "maybe you're not really into RTS but this other genre" link

user, Forgotten kingdoms is like a the movie "a weekend at Bernies"
It is merely a corpse puppeted by strings at a brothel and you're the one fucking it when you buy that cancerous expansion

user ignore him, subtract away if you feel like it

Wait, I don't mean the expansion. There was some browsergame-tier official AoE game that shut down like a year ago, wasn't there? That's what I meant.

Why did you remind me?

I don't want to suffer alone, user. That's what it's like to be an RTS fan

I could dump c&c4 pics if it makes you feel better

Holy fucking shit that's horrible, just start from scratch and make one that isn't a mess.

I don't want to suffer that much

thank you for this

feel free too

that's why you're here though, just to suffer

Would make sense to try to collect as many titles as possible and categorise them beforehand so it doesn't constantly have to get revisited and made messier.

Will it ever end?

I like how clusterfuck it is, gives it a more accurate representation of RTS on the whole

here you go user

I quite liked C&C 3. It's no Tiberian Dawn or Tiberian Sun, but it was absolutely passable. It was from the the very end of the time when videogames still used to be fun. You can see the transition, but it's still good.

I like it. Check it out. The multiplayer probably isn't active, but I didn't mind it either. I was always a dick who killed peoples harvesters with the recon bikes.

Halo Wars and Supreme Commander 2 are great games compared to C&C 4. I genuinely played each for like 10 hours.

C&C 4 is on a different fucking planet.

tib wars is meh, tib wars KW is great though

they're in the same tier because fans always say that those games didn't exist whenever it's talked about

Honestly if i could i would place it off the chart, but if i did that people would forget it exists, so it goes to the lowest tier

might as well put it in the still borns then

still born doesn't mean people utterly hated the game though

true but the game was pretty much dead on release

Stillborns and shadow realm are right next to each other
We could put C&C4 in the middle

guess thats better than nothing

nah

Stillborn means DOA which isn't necessarily a bad thing. C&C 4 is the shittiest game on that list but its still in shadow realm but we're not going to make an autism chart of different shadow realms.

Can anyone suggest a place to download perimeter or Maelstrom?
Even pirate bay delicious honey lacks any seeders
pls anons i need you

rutracker.org/

Am i racist if i dont trust anything russian?
except Girl Life of course
Regardless, I'm going to play a really shit game now just to spite you

No but you'd be an idiot if you trusted them

Someone must add Emperor to the list already.

No, probably you're just retarded if you trust FBI honeypots instead. If you have no problem with current kat and TPB there is no reason for you not to use rutracker then which is safer.

Smart choice.
More often than not if it has a russian language option in the installer there's some kind of virus in there.
Get sandboxie or something if you can't find anything but the russian torrents for what you want.

Okay I can understand the 4x and the RTT, but fucking TURNED based strategy in a REAL time strategy chart?

Well, we could make a second chart for those as well.

It was already mentioned in this or the previous thread
Honestly I'm just waiting for someone to replace it, otherwise the chart looks a bit empty just like the RTS genre

Remember this?

I'm making a Total War infograph. I'm starting to get a little out on my depth due to my lack of experience with all the Total War games beyond Napoleon. So I'd like to get some blurbs from you guys. I plan on adding a recommended mod list to this as well so give me suggestions. Let me know if the blurbs I have already are shit too.

Stainless Steel 6.4 for Medieval 2 obviously.

Europa Barbarorum for both i think.

Both Rome and Medieval 2 I mean.

Below rome and medieval:
"pillars"
and
"spectacle"
Also last I heard some people liked empire and said it was alright with that one modpack, I forgot which one it was. Darthmod?
Also also: ME2 has Third Age and one (or two?) warhammer mods for those that don't want to put up with total wawa

I say we need a way less shit infographic, preferably one made from scratch. In the meantime, reposting the Spongebob

Lots of people say that but nobody wants to bother.

Also it seems that the infographic would be just for fun. Most RTS fags here will know 95-99% of games already and it's not like anyone else has interest in this genre

rate my most played GSG game in my teen years

I cna try, but I wanted a more different layout, maybe something like this? You just answer questions like that, and it goes from there.
I'm thinking of starting with "Are you new to RTS, or want to try something new?". New players option then asks you if you want to try RTS because big armies or because you want strategy and planning and so on, and in general gives best game recommendations, meanwhile the new games one gives more niche but original suggestions. Anyways, any suggestions where could I put up each game? I'd prefer to put up the aesthetic/setting choice at the very bottom unless the game's selling point is realistic recreation of the period or something like that.

Holla Forums why?

you're right, samefag. i meant to say RTS game

I've always loved Tiberium. I'm not sure what exactly it is about it.

Maybe because it's a resource AND an environmental hazard that spreads on its own, has many unique uses and mutations and is always acting as a volatile catalyst for chaos.

I also like all the various Tiberium mutants and the new strains that were introduced in Firestorm (and almost immediately forgotten by everyone but me apparently)

Plus I just love the way it looks. It's so fucking gorgeous.

So anyone has suggestions for ?

Tiberium:

But user
I thought it was a resource for Kane to use to rocket back to where he came from?
you know cause hes an ayy lmao

I'd fuck tiberium tbh

I never played the game that shall not be named. Did they ever do anything with the plot about the Scrin coming back with an invasion force to harvest the entire planet?

how could anything so green be so wrong?

This. There's nothing quite like it in any other RTS I believe. And it's also one thing C&C had over other (semi-)postapocalypse games in that even the resource you gather is dangerous and even part of the reason why the world is so shit.

no, kane goes through a portal and that's that

there's no scrin at all other then the towers

just a waste of money all round that game

it's so fucking atmospheric too, that's the one thing which made a c&c a c&c

God damn that is still the best aesthetic out of any RTS, except maybe Brood War.

anyone wanna play age of empires 2? preferably steam version since my connection there is a bit better

What are your favorite map easter eggs, Holla Forums?

Kari Wuhrer's eggs are my favorite

I liked it alot user, but the rest of the world didnt ;_;

This guy knows what's up

Seems pretty much accurate. They forgot everyfuckingthing they learned from Shogun II and made shit again.

fuck this planet

It's unfinished, and reading over my blurbs again makes me realize it's shit. I'm trying to style it after /gsg/'s infograph, but I suck at writing summaries. So if anyone would like to actually write some for me, that's be great.

You know what, here's a blank canvas for anyone who wants to write summaries for the games. I'll reorganize everything once everything has a good description. I've included /gsg/'s infograph for reference as I'm basically looking to copy it's design.

I dont think i would ever play a mod that was exclusive for steam workshop, such thoughts are cancerous

whoops, I forgot to include Total WaWa

I liked 1 the best, but edain might just be better, we'll see.

The special 'online edition' worked just great for me on win7 and you can even installed Edain mod on top of it.
thebfme.com

Supcom 2 is surprisingly not so bad when heavily modded, sort of like the C&C3 appeal aspect

Bump

dude why

Waste of Trips

He said from scratch.

Not including Stronghold

Crusader is on there. The list doesn't mention every single title from every series

Im sure I have one slightly more in depth but I aint pouring through my folders looking for it

waste of dubs

Waste of singles

maybe on cuckchan Holla Forums

Nice dubs.

Empire Earth and Cossacks should be higher.

Rome is not the first TW game, pleb picture

Where would the Myth games fall on that chart? I feel like the first two games should be in there, with the third game being in the purgatory list. A lot of people that played the first two tended to really like them, though the controls could use a bit of tightening up so your units didn't get killed in so many ways.

Decided to make some room in the pic and make some additions of my own to the chart and fix some of the text I saw. Still under 8MB so far.

there's still lots I can see be added to it, maybe holding off on making it neater is a good idea?

cncnet.org/download

I did not know about this

If you turn it into a .jpg when you're done it'll drop in size a fuckton. Obviously that might not be so helpful for editing in future.

Also you could probably just roll still borns into shadow realm and be done with it. It's pretty much a category for only a single game and you'd get some more room for tech demos too.

RA2 and Yuri's Revenge aren't free yet sadly but the rest of the games there are iirc. Thank god for autists keeping shit alive and working.

Has anyone played Ashes of the Singularity? I've been avoiding it because my GPU was shit but now that I upgraded I'm kinda curious, I'm getting some SupCom vibes from the videos.

Anybody knows if it's worth it?

it's not worth it I would say, it's a tech demo and it shows, the dev team is made up of coders and that no designers or anything which can make the game good

Can you elaborate a bit?

Also what's so special about the tech?

it's DX12 and the game its self is really simple

Isn't DX12 Win8 and Win10 only? Or does it also allow DX11?

I pirated it since it looked midly interesting.
Has no charm to it, both factions seem too similar, economy tries to be deep but fails.
The depth in gameplay comes from the stats of weapons and armor that each unit has but there's far too little.

Do your wallet a favor and pirate it instead. If you end up liking it, then buy the game but I wouldn't expect an online community to play with.

yes it is and yes it does

At least they cared enough to give both options.

I just wished they cared to make their game alot better then it turned out

Is Red Alert 3 the Saints Row 3 of RTS games?

no, I'd say that's tib wars

Well a download mirror for the fullsize image isn't impossible either while someone uploads the JPEG on here if the filesize gets too large, to show off the general aspect.

PNG is way better for the original though cus saving and resaving in JPG will fuck up the quality pretty bad, cause compression artifacts everywhere and make it hard to read a lot of the box art.

They took the silliness of the past Red Alert games and made it rely solely on that while being weak in every other aspect like SR3.

Pretty much sums up why i despise red alert 3
The worse part is that i preferred RA2 more than any of the C&C games
Also i liked generals a lot
Without mo0ds GLA was clearly the strongest team due fucking teleporting into your base and fucking shit up, but demolition general was probably my favorite GLA general

Theres just something about sending hundreds of quad cannons towards the enemy and watching them destroy tanks they would normally stand no chance against

Honestly I'm a little disappointed every time i see a demolition general use bikes, theres so many other options they can use instead, just comes across as a bit plain to me

Looks like a good guide, but I found a dire lack of Anno 1404

Mah nigga

Did you know there was a planned expansion for it that got scrapped?

Anyone played Tears to Tiara?
RTS and hentai game, all in one.

Demolition General was clearly Michael Bay, I am surprised more mods didn't capitalize on this.

Why is AoE III in purgatory? I thought it was fun.

It's pretty fun, but should maybe not be called Age of Empires, having to grind your home cities is completely fucked up and access to an easy infinite source of gold defeats the point of gold.

It was user
Its just that some AoE2 players dislike it because it wasn't a very aoe-like game and try to classify it in the same league as Attila or SC2, despite it actually not being a god awful game

I honestly thought it was more balanced than AoE2, but honestly i dont think balancing can really push a game into purgatory unless they really drop the ball
Like take HoAE as an example, game was unbalanced as fuck but was still pretty fun

Still i cant figure out why Black and white 2 is in there, it fits the definition of a god simulator

honestly when you get the expansion it automatically lets you start at lvl 10, which really helps, still it wasnt that hard to grind, maybe around 15 matches easily gets you to 40, which is the end game

Theres a reason quite a lot of people despise the relics in AoE2, really fucked matches up sometimes

Its not very aoe-like, but imagine if they tried to make an age of empires 3/4 now, it would be suffering

still in the end it was pretty fun, so it really shouldn't be in purgatory

Tell me more user?

Even with it's flaws, like small maps, the entire hometown feature, being too range and not enough melee like the first two games, it's still very fun. The setting is the real attraction. I'm still waiting for a cowboy storyline mod.

I actually modded mione to get large levels, which actually made the shitty horse native team op, due to the small pop caps the natives were able to defend and attack with the smae army whilst all the other teams were slow on foot
debatable, i think some aspects of it were pretty good
to be fair at that p[oint in history range was becoming the norm
aren't we all user?

Fucking RIP

definitely

melee is not the norm but its very much a part of the game.

which do you think was the best melee unit?
Strongest infantry is likely skeleton knight or one of japans shitty samurais, personally though for the European teams its likely doppelsoldner

Personally though i prefer to not use doppelsoldners unless i have a reason to, they're far too slow to be of any use except as backup as they will likely been picked off by skirmishers
My personal favourite is the Uhlan, Quick, high melee attack, cheap and builds rather quickly, you can literally spam these against an enemy even if they have pikemen
However if you put them up against heavy infantry like doppelsoldner they get raped, so really they're just in case of emergencies honestly i just like them because they can easily pick off enemy cannons and fought the ottomans far to many times

i dont know about best but my favorite has to be coyotes runners, functioning as cheap pseudo cavalry without the same cavalry weaknesses

Where can I find games like the original Age of Empires or C&C 2?

But they get raped by Heavy infantry and either way, also wood can be pretty expensive in some maps

Jaguar prowlers are much better in comparison, even if they lack the speed, being able to stealth allows them in close without dying (provided their explorer isnt there)

Still they are pretty great early game, but i prefer to set up two farms and plantations before going breeding dance and literally spamming them with jaguar prowlers and eagle runners

Also arrow knights are shit, I've only ever found them useful on water maps, and even then i only build around 6 of them, honestly wish they had some kind of artillery, but to be fair all natives had shit artillery

have you tied starwars galactic battlegrounds?
Its a bit more like AoE2 in some respects but sill a good game
fuck republic invisible jedi

I'm not sure what to play, actually. I don't have much experience with RTS games. I'd like to start with the classics, but I can't find them anywhere.

Start here newfag:
cnc-comm.com/

Age of Empires is where you would normally start, or maybe starcraft or warcraft 3, they're both pretty good and simple
I'm pretty sure both are torrentable or you can buy them, but i recommend not buying warcraft 3 unless its in the battle chest or for free, because battlenet is mostly dead

oh yeah also what this guys says
But honestly you should start with Red Alert 2, it was by far superior to C&C

Will do. I'll begin downloaded Red Alert 2 immediately.

You can get the C&C collection for $10-20 at a few places.
It's pretty much every game and expansion they released, including the FPS.

the online one wasnt bad, still i felt the first one was dead on arrival

>Open en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_real-time_strategy_video_games
Are RTS truly dead? I mean even 2008 actually had some good games like SotSE or the worst expansion for dawn of war tbh i didnt mind the campaign no matter how much they raped the lore

yeah wood is always a problem but food sure as fuck isnt. definitely take cards to alleviate structure costs where you can. being able to plop down war/noble huts anywhere you might need them
arrow knights cost isnt too horrible and theyre adequate for taking out cannons, but taking 2 population is a slap in the dick that im not entirely sure is justified even when considering that theyre able to function somewhat outside of their role unlike the culverins.
cannons would be nice, but you know exactly what youre getting in to when youre playing aztec more like notech

Don't listen to him it requires Origin, just get the Decade Collection and pick up C&C 3 with the expansion.

rts petered out because cnc was axed

My bad, was going off second hand knowledge. I happen to have the first decade and a copy of RA3 on steam and a physical copy of C&C 3.

How about~ the Metropolis Dawn fansite '3'

I Just found out that Warcraft 3 has been updating whilst i've been playing single player and Lan for the past few years
All the updates did was balance the game
I feel like they've taken a bad direction
it hurts anons
pls help me

I dont think my opinion on the matter has ever been summed up so well
The worse part is that even the iroquis gets a cannon despite being shit all around except for the infantry they get that have 1000 hp and cost 1pop

European teams definitely have an advantage, I think thats why the asian dynasty teams were so much stronger, because they were trying to make up for shoving such shit teams in
tbh the stealth ability of coyote prowlers and jaguar scouts is actually extremely helpful against artillery if you micro manage them well enough, in that respect it comes across more aoe-like

More like when generals 2 went f2p
a straight up punt to the balls of any RTS player right there
It was even worse than GWS attempts at putting dlc into their games

please tell me you bought that when it came out and not after

Posting superior artillery
mavor can get fucked

Actually, I bought it way later. I had heard people always talking about how much they didn't like the game but they always said it was because of how silly it was, so I had to give it a go myself. Overall I liked it on my first play through, and my second playthrough that I did co-op with my brother. But now that I've played it a fair bit I realize the flaws of the game.

Is it possible to port the 3D graphics of the N64 version to PC?

Not emulation, but with C&C 1.06 by Nyerguds.

tbh I bought the game to play Lan with my brothers, but after finding out it was DRM i lost all respect for it
I suppose i might have liked it more if i could've played coop, but still it wasnt nearly as good as its prequel

I know this might be blindingly obvious but I just realised something. A while ago there was that bellyaching about RTS UIs not being, I suppose, "centralised" enough and this promoting busywork/gookclick over actual strategy. Isn't the solution to this exactly what C&C did? All of your options are in front of you all the time. RA2's tabs meant you didn't have to scroll though the unit list. In fact the only problem with RA2's UI is the pre-radar phase and having to scroll around because you don't have a minimap.

That's intentional.

If you don't build a radar tower, you don't get a minimap.

Obviously. The problem I have is not having a minimap at all as opposed to having a nonfunctioning one. If you don't have one at all, you have no idea how your screen space relates to the map and you have no way of moving units without focusing on where you want them to be. You might not even know what edge you're closest to. Not having a minimap doesn't mean you just have a smaller viewport, it means your controls are fundamentally crippled.

That's an SRPG, not an RTS.

That just makes map awareness more necessary when playing. Although this is a bit more troublesome in RA2 with the random starting points in skirmish and online/network and remedied in YR.

Okay you mongoloids.
Ground Control 1&2?
Populous: The beginning?
Constructor?
I dunno, fucking Battlezone?

Battlezone is awesome.

FPS/RTS hybrid, revolutionary for its time.

Chart needs a bit of rework in regards to the Relic bloc and Wargame/WiC. Those two should be closer together, with Ground Control nearby, as Wargame, WiC, and DoW2 all draw heavily from GC's small-unit approach. Something like a "Why aren't units in groups to begin with?" branch off RA2, which would include DoW/CoH, GC, TW, Wargame, WiC, Ruse, etc.

pretty fun

GC1: yea.
GC2: eeh.
Pop: yea.

Would MechCommander 1&2 even count as RTS?

Really? That would be really good if they made it considering Dune 2000 never had expansions and Westwood always did expansion packs for their RTS games.

Though the game seems to be rushed overall because balance and some missions are pretty weak. It had so much potential to be great, OST alone was amazing part of the game, if only they released CDs with the entire OST, Harkonnen music was the best. I also loved new map mechanics.

Not necessary, I bought the whole collection on Amazon for $5 during Christmas.

Doesn't seems like there is mod for it or port which is a shame.

anyone wanna play age of empires 2? steam version

Any suggestions for CnC Generals mods? Been playing Shockwave with friends, and I think they have one lined up with koreans in it. Saw a vietnam one that looked intriguing.

You should definitely give Rise of the Reds a shot, one of the best in my own opinion.

[Hype intensifies]

Modded Empire can be fun if you want to role play with line infantry and cannons killing both dot and feather Injuns. Darthmod adds an autistic amount of units, and slightly unfucks the naval battles, at the cost of making them last forever.
has good mods for Med 2, I'd add Third Age Total war, and Beginning of the End times, Lotr and Warhammer fantasy mods. The warhammer mod has all the tabletop factions, but it's buggy and they are working on a new version.

What are your thoughts on the Empire Earth series?

An acquired taste
Its territories arent bad and having 999999 by 99999999 maps is absurd, however the end game turns into a spamfest depending on map size
Although to be fair as far as i can remember all territory RTS I've played turn into that except for COH

customizing your own faction (even if its minor) though is pretty fun, wish more RTS did it

Rise of Legends should have been the game that replaced Starcraft. Its so good, easy yet also deep.

Wish there were a sequel to that game.

Vinci>Cuotl>>>>>>>>Dog shit>>>>>>>>>Alin sandniggers

Thanks for reminding me that my KW disk doesn't work.

It's because the game didn't have anything else to favorably differentiate it from SC+BW.

I'd stick it to the "EVEN MORE DIFFERENT" side of Total War.

archive.is/Niwwf
archive.is/Bwwkg

Apparently Blizzard might be trying to HD remake SC1. So, what do you think they would retcon, and make retard to fit in with the love story of SC2?

Also been playing CoH 1's campaign and CoH 2 multiplayer as of late

You would think they would make warcraft 4 before then and fuck it up even more than WOW which is saying something

So essentially after seeing "We wuz Kings" being actual successful, they're trying it out on the starcraft franchise
Alternatively they're just remaking starcaft 1 on the a different engine, probably the starcraft 2 engine like some people have already tried

Worst case scenario its going to be HOMM3 remastered
==FUCK THE CUNTS WHO MADE THAT, NOW I'M FUCKING PISSED==

IIRC you have to put the redtext shit outside of the spoiler for shit to work properly.

Why would you remake a 2D game? And how?

They should do Warcraft 4 already. Like says.

*they remake

Apply Hq4x / xBRz / Vector Magic on every sprite and call it a day. I wish I was making this shit up

Sun used Voxels to simulate that shit, same as 8-bit-armies, they're low on resources as well so don't need to have end of the line videocards to render more than 100 units with that.

Total Annihilation fucking sucks though.

I think the reason that RTS died is because of red alert 2 perfecting the genre and nobody else wanting to try to surpass it.

Just because the scale is huge and you can build lots of trash doesn't make it a good strategy game.

TA isn't even that large in scale, at least when compared to SupCom. The main advantage it has over other RTS games is that no matter how many blobs of death you are sent at by the enemy you can still win a tactical battle by utilizing terrain advantages, better weaponry and by using combined arms assaults with air, ground, artillery and naval units all at the same time.

Compare it to Starcraft or C&C where most of the time a blob of tanks, bikes or mutalisks just decimates a base because there's nothing to counter it with short of another blob of counter units that's even bigger.

Conversely, just because you don't know how to play it doesn't make a game bad.

Rise of Legends is awesome.

Speaking of TA, any mods you'd recommend?

I've looked at Escalation and even though it has a massive case of "bigger guns because bigger guns", it looks well-made. Haven't tried it out yet, though.

You know for all the praise everyone gives Wargame, I actually think it's worse in a lot of ways than Eugene Systems last game, R.U.S.E. It just seemed to play and flow a lot better than Wargame ever did and individual Unit AI was heads and shoulders better. They would not overkill units and didn't really need babysat.

I kinda like Escalation because it balances out ARM to not be Flash Spam: the faction and gives more options for early game harrasing for CORE that aren't just simply rushing Goliaths and hoping they aren't caught up by heavy laser towers.
T3 really needs a rework though, ARM and CORE's T3 air superiority fighters are extremedly costly for how ineffective they are, T2 fighters are already hampered by not being able to target ground units and Gunship and Bomber units don't have as much health as they did before, pre-experimental 'epic' units are also too powerful for the cost considering that T2 units simply get instakilled en mass by them most of the time, which leads to everyone just spamming T2 artillery defenses or Berthas if anyone teches up that far. Not even upgraded T3 defenses can deal with them, they really need to tone down their firepower.

RUSE is a game that badly needed mod or at least map editor support, cause it was a sadly overlooked RTS. The eras were interesting even though the balance was really fucked up in 39 and 45.

I remember the beta having a lot of units that got cut from the game. There was originally going to be a whole host of units across eras including a lot more prototypes. For example Brits got the TOG II with 6pdr sponsons and Tortoise. Germans actually had the ability to build V2's and have a recon helicopter. Also there were meant to be navy ships and useable landing craft, think Japs were being originally reserved for a Pacific campaign.

AoE2 WITH Holla Forums WHEN?

you want to get raped nigga?

because aoe2 with Holla Forums would be rape

never== ==ever

Battle Realms with Holla Forums when?