Which 2D game has the smoothest animation?

Which 2D game has the smoothest animation?

Hard Corps: Uprising kind of.
Muramasa
Skullgirls
Ghost Trick
Sonic CD
That's really all I can think of off of the top of my head.

what about cuphead?

I thought Metal Slug had some pretty smooth animation.

Karateka, Prince of Persia, Flashback.

It's not out yet. Though the trailers showcasing the gamepkay are pretty neat.

Art of Fighting 3

King of fighters xiii

Sonic mania is also shaping up nicely

Cel-shaded 3D
Tweening
This one is actually hand-drawn
Pre-rendered 3D. Or was it actual 3D? Either way it's not hand drawn.
Pre-rendered 3D and tweening

Ray-traced 3D, same as with Street Fighter 3.

Only these along with Shitgirls are actual nomenees there, even though both Metal Slug and AoF3 look like they used tweening, but it's hard to tell with how low-resolution sprites are.

I would nominate Garou. It's all mostly hand-drawn and is ultra-fluid with next to none tweening, on par with SF3 and KoF13, which were made with the help of 3D.

If you pay close attention to the animations you can kinda notice it. But I assume it all was also hand-drawn, as opposed to vanillaware's digital animations, so I give those a huge benefit of the doubt.

Rayman Legends heh

Ghost Trick

You can actually see where polygons are attached to each other.

No it's not. Definitely not ray-traced. Ray-tracing is a 3D rendering technique which means that you trace rays of scene lighting backwards from the framebuffer fragments for rendering (as opposed to standard scanline-rendering that games usually use, using a Z-buffer to determine occlusion). Ray-tracing is the way high-end 3D is rendered. Pixar and Dreamworks movies are ray-traced.

You're thinking rotoscoping, which is where you take a 3D model (or real-life footage) and draw over the top of it.

does rotoscoping count?

Also, Another World.

Banner Saga.

Fuck. I fucked up terms, yes rotoscoping.

whoops, forgot to take off my name.
polite sage

Grand Kingdom has real nice animation.
The image has the actual in game models.

if we don't count prerendered I'd assume rotoscoping is also out of the question.

Wario Land Shake it

Rotoscoped or not, this is a work of art.

Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening
Tweening

The only rotoscoped character in SF3 is Elena. Even then it's not all of her animations - the difference is really obvious in the handstand winpose.

Other japenis 2D fightans such as blazbloo, uniel (sometimes really meh), mbaa (see uniel), vanguard princess, yatagarasu. Older guilty gears have peculiar animations.

Some indie titles like crosscode (really good), momodora rutm (ditto), castle crashers(tweening and standard combined), dustforce, dust an elysian tail (mostly tweening, sometimes smooth standard), shantae, konjak's games (mega cuck).

On consoles usually the kirby and sotn-style castlevanias have good animations.

There's also that fightan in the works which has hand-drawn anims like skullgirls, cerebrawl.

How the fuck do you tween pixel art? Isn't it limited to vectors?

Well how do you properly call technique where you stretch, skew and rotate parts of characters, instead of drawing new frames from scratch? Super Robot Wars franchise mostly relies on it. You definitely can do it with raster sprites.
I guess it's technically animation, but it's not the same as frame-by-frame one.

Plenty of SF3 characters are obviously rotoscoped - Alex, Q, most definetely that eye-skinned Dhalsim stand-in.
Character like Ryu and Chun Li are much harder to tell. Maybe those were hand drawn.

Also being having rotoscoping or tweening doesn't automatically mean that there are no hand-drawn frames and touch up.
Thanks to combined techniques games like SF3 or KoF13 will forever look absolutely amazing regardless of technology.
I'm definitely not hating on them here.

Is there any reason why Dragon's Crown stutters really bad with the animations? some of the e3 videos looked smoother. It's very noticeable on big monsters such as the dragon.

/h/fag pls, the feet and head movement isn't even that smooth, most of art is in between the of animation. But literally the head looks like it's out of place and it's stays in place while the the body just drags the head along.
Also the feet look like it's suck like glue while the movement with the right feet looks like it's grow a expanding and compressing blob with 2 toes while on the left, it just removing a couple of pixies to make look like it's moving. The art is middle because the makers of this know that fags would just be look at the breast.

Even with being hand drawn, the animation does look a bit slow and there were there missing a few frames at time, it fells mostly just jagged when it comes to the animation.

Monaco: What's Yours is Mine

Monaco is trash, much like yourself

OP never said the games had to be good.

🐜 🐜 🐜