/agdg/ + /vm/ Thread

AMD drivers cause memory leaks edition

Post your progress, ask any doubts you have about development, or ask for feedback for your game or mod.

Remember, there's #8/agdg/ in Rizon for discussion, we also have resources and FAQs in >>>/agdg/ and >>>/vm/

Other urls found in this thread:

loggly.com/blog/nine-tips-for-implementing-logging-in-games/
megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Terminator
monogame.net/
wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17365-freetype-ttf-fonts-in-opengl/
valvesoftware.com/publications/2007/SIGGRAPH2007_AlphaTestedMagnification.pdf
ika.neocities.org/sigma_engine.html
pastebin.com/VUdSzfrs
kircode.com/post.php?id=15
mediafire.com/?a2a96l4bl3gdocx
advsys.net/ken/
serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39702
forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?98645-TUTORIAL-Use-Code-Blocks-with-UE4Editor-in-Linux.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nobody has pointed me in the direction of a guide on practices for logging crashes yet or handle errors.

And yet you all laugh at yandredev because he can't read unity crash logs

Improved the side canons a bit, but i just can't make em look right. It looks like it's spewing fairy dust when it fires.

I get the impression that the majority of people who are super into shitting on Yandev aren't /agdg/. We have a distinctly different shitposting style.

Yeah I kinda got that a little. A lot of people talk shit when they don't really have a leg to stand on. I mostly added that spoiler to instigate some responses so someone will finally help me with this shit. Literally the only thing I dug up is Insomniac games talked about how they handle crashes, which was some complex system that itself seemed like a huge project.

Go with the templars my dude, lolidevs rarely ever get anything finished anyways, regardless of how good their art is.

Tacticool space-templar lolis? You're a maniac user!

Truly our reality is one of the worst.

Found a good guide finally after switching my words around 20 times in google
loggly.com/blog/nine-tips-for-implementing-logging-in-games/

I had an idea to make it so that my logger will mount a verbose and non-verbose version. The non-verbose version will just not print shit when called. However, that also means that empty functions that don't do anything will be called constantly. Branching has a cost. Does anyone know if it's worth it?

What I might do is inline the call function, and then call a non-inlined function from it if in verbose mode, do nothing if not.

Does lrsp post here? How far is his game now

Hey, is Frozendev still around somewhere? They're the only one I've seen using Link's Awakening as a jumping off point for their game and I wanted to pick their brain and see if the influence is purely mechanical or if they've got a story element inspired by the game as well, because I just played through Link's Awakening and it reminded me that deep down I just want to make a game as good as that.

just make this one a loli
megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Terminator

He posts in 4/agdg/, haven't seen him around here in a while unless I forgot.

What lore related excuse could you have to not have firearms in a modern world?

Even if some omnipotent entity said "no guns lol", I can't come up with any kind of logical rule that doesn't have loopholes. For example if all projectiles moved by explosives are banned, you could still make some automatic crossbow/railgun weapon to bypass the rule. If anything that splits from you at high speed is mystically stopped, that means you couldn't have bows or catapults or maybe even throw things.

Gunpowder ran out somehow.

Nobody ever put together you could use gunpowder to launch projectiles.

Years ago the NWO has done things to degrade the firearms over time and slowly got rid of the old ones until it got to a point where all firearms are unreliable pieces of trash that would explode so everyone naturally avoided them except maybe turrets that aren't operated by people.

you don't need one, just don't put 'em in. nobody will ask questions as long as you don't set the game in the future or some shit. how modern are we talking?

It's not that difficult to make a makeshift firearm yourself, and many people would do that if guns weren't sold in stores. And like I said other types of technology would raise if gunpowder/explosives weren't a thing.

Stopping gunpowder is a decent idea which works in some cases though. And I think some kind of atmospheric/disease-like effect could be believable cause for gunpowder getting ruined.

This only really works for steampunk-like world where the technology is unusual.

That doesn't always work. For example in my current project I wanted to have a timetravel-esque sword which is much more powerful than any metal in the game world, but it doesn't make sense because everyone from the sword's world would not be using swords. The lore is important for this game so I can't just pretend something makes sense when it doesn't.

I've been thinking about this for various stories and game ideas, but I can't come up with any good reason to have melee weapons in a modern/futuristic setting without raising questions.

you cheeky cunt, why didn't you say there was new bread in the old bread

Make the orbs sharper? they're very… feathery.

Have obtained literature on how to program. Now to spend all weekend on it. How long does it usually take to get through a 375 page book that includes exercises? A month if I do it right?

it will take you about 10 minutes to give up and just watch tutorials instead

I tried tutorials many times in the past. The big issue is they are either incomplete, outdated or other problems(Like the person delivering the tutorial having a hard to understand accent). 10 minutes in and I can tell this book is better for me personally than tutorials ever were.

I'm doing a kickstarter starting on Monday. I have my journo list, youtuber list, and whatnot. How do I subtly still my KS / GL here and other "similar" imagesboard. Yes, I'm AGDG

Step 1: kill yourself__

I've only ever read one page of a programming book, and it's Principles and Practice C++, by the man himself and he said that it took one semester to get through his book. I'd say most books need around the same timespan.

I remember a lot of people using a picture of Yandev's shitty code to make fun of him, when he had showed the image to point out how shitty his original code was and was reworking it.

Depends on how fast a learner you are and the book itself. The more detailed it is, the longer it'll take you obviously.

Just make your game in a way that it's impossible for things to crash. Write robust code make your classes check against null with proper bounds checks etc etc

The only thing that SHOULD fuck up is things like file handling operations so just wrap that in a try/catch block and have a course of action if it fails.

Exceptions should truly be exceptional, and your try/catch/finally block should be able to write to a file. You don't need a stack trace written you just want a timestamp and a reason why it fucked up

I'm worried about when I ship it and the end user suffers shit like having a weird driver that makes my game crash, or having a window manager (loonix) that doesn't cooperate.

projectiles are working much better now- it feels a lot smoother, even though the enemy is not very threatening at the moment.

That's the user's fault, not yours. When you ship the game, you say it's compatible on X systems. If they don't have a valid configuration you don't know what's up because you didn't test it.

I hope you like setting up virtual machines if you want to be thorough, though.

Yeah. You just never know though. Devs release games that crash a fuckton all the time.

Is it at all feasible to do all the art in my games on GIMP? it's all pixelart anyway, so I could probably finish it, but is it considered a low-class program or anything?

Having tried both Photoshop and GIMP, Photoshop is clearly superior. Honestly, I'm against piracy since I consider it to be a crapshoot sometimes, so I'd recommend you to find a free software alternative.

Why do people rag on gimp so much? That's what I'm doing anyways. First texture I made is pic related

moralfag pls go

GIMP is fine, especially for pixelart.

If you want to do textures or painting-style graphics, Krita is much better.

I didn't know that. People act like they've always been great at programming, when the reality is that absolutely everyone has made design decisions which are nothing short of retarded, either because they didn't bother to think things through, or because they didn't know enough to think things through yet. Don't get me wrong, he's still a fag, this particular behavior just annoys the shit out of me.

We windwaker

lookin good

dumb question; how big is your project in terms of file size and directories? could you show off you visual studio project directories? im curious how big a monogame/C# game would be since im trying to build something in it
im also autistic so
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|_∧
┻┳|・ω・) pls no bully
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|J

Still no graphics and animations

I can't think of a good style for character portraits and sprites. I'm making a 2D RPG with heavy focus on combat and bossfights.

I was thinking about generic animu shit since I'll be using a shit ton of neon colors.

This includes stuff that isn't compiled, some work files, and some other shit.
Compiled project is 103mb, 80mb of which is just content, and another 20mb which is just libraries.

That looks pretty fucking great but why the fuck do you play as Adachi

holy shit my man

thats a lotta fucking files

what are you using them all for?

The swirly frame on the smoke looks a tad repetitive if you ask me, maybe add randomized mirroring and 90/180 degree rotation if you don't want to add alternate sprites.

Armor penetration issues?
Like you can stab through kevlar, but can't 9mm it.
Or forcefields of some description (though those are typically for energy weapons?) preclude long range attacks, or just attacks that break a certain speed limit (making low-tech bows feasible)?

Krita, maybe.

Every entity in the game is loaded from an XML so that the game can be fully modable.

You're retarded.

*180 degree

that sound really cool
so are the xmls holding code or variables or something like that?
i've only ever really made small games that were level based or had no saving, so i've never touched serialization and pulling from XMLs

What do you guys think about this plasma torpedo?

Looks fun

They just hold values, and their respective classes interpret them. Serialization is super easy. You just have to make sure you don't serialize references to other objects and create infinite loops and you're golden.

thanks chum for doing this. So only a text editor is needed for it? Or does the modder need some special tools?

Not him, but if its all via xml, then you should only need a text editor, it'd be weird otherwise.

As far as editing Enemies, Weapons, Particles, or anything to do with logic it can all be done via text editor.
If you want to add or modify textures I'll have to make some sort of tool or you could download monogame to use it's content pipeline to export textures.
To make maps I use TileD, which is Freeware, and those need to be compiled too.

(Checked)
Nice quads.
Yeah you are right.

Alright cool, because special modding tools mostly run with windoze only and rarely works properly with wine.
So mono develop IDE?

No, monogame.net/
Any IDE will work, I use Visual Studio.

Awesome, that's what i was going for!

dude seriously, use JSON or YAML they both shit all over XML, especially for this kind of thing

When I was testing things JSON seems to take longer to serialize, and I ran into some other issues which I forget. They're functionally similar enough that I don't think it's a big deal either way.

thats odd, JSON should be faster as a more compact format

regardless XML needs to die, using it is bad practice. consider your users which now have to fumble around in XML if they want to develop mods for your game

Anyone else taking a fancy to making their own simple syntaxes tailored to the particular job?

I find parsing strings and dealing with reflection is generally tedious. I'd rather just use something that someone else made.

really not worth doing, once youve sorted the correctness and performance youre still left with something that is probably going to look like JSON but without any community tooling

I haven't found it to be very bothersome so far.

I can't really agree. I said tailored to the specific job for a reason.
None of the things I'm designing remotely look like JSON

For example, think of something like the scripts used for pokemon hacks to handle NPC behavior and events.

Using dodge replenishes your missiles now to speed up the gameplay. It feel pretty fluid.

You think it'd be easier for them to deal with fucking JSON?

Reposting from last thread since I got no replies.

Still a long while of developing this part of my game since I've got my AI system to finish up, but what do people think about hacking minigames, and which games do it right?

I've had a few ideas but one I've been leaning towards is a timed sequence where you have to type whatever words pop up on the screen, with difficulty based on your characters hacking skill compared with the enemies hacking defense. Hacking overall is going to be optional, but will have a lot of cool things you can do with it, so if there's a game involved with it I don't want it to be too annoying or tedious. If I do it purely as a skill check, it's not engaging enough and too easy.

Help me out idea guys. What games have done minigames of that sort well, and what sort of minigames would you like?

Your mini-game makes the game sound like it'll be mouse and keyboard only. I don't know what the rest of the game is like so I won't comment much further than that.

I'd say Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution are pretty good for their hacking if you haven't taken a look at those already.

cool

Would it be worth making a SMB3 clone?

Yeah I've looked at those two, naturally. I don't intend to put the game onto consoles at all and it's primarily a shooter/rpg, so controllers aren't ideal anyway.

I don't like the idea of changing my controls just for some single mechanic, e.g. mouse+keyboard to 2 handed keyboard.

Don't make features that are annoying, if it isn't a positive experience then try something else.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, it would end up getting annoying. I can't think of any cool minigames that could simulate the feel of hacking into something though.

The only sort of fun hacking I've played has been in games based around it, like Uplink and Hacknet. Both of them are a hell of a lot more realistic and enjoyable than something like say Bioshock's pipe 'hacking', because there's the anus-clenching time limit that you can increase by bouncing your attack through multiple proxies and the actual consequences for getting caught - in Hacknet there's a dude who'll go after you and delete some of your config files if you leave any traces on his system, and in Uplink I'm pretty sure it's a straight up game over if you're caught, you start over from scratch.

I've never played Uplink, so I can't comment on that system, but for the love of Christ don't copy Hacknet's method.

It's just fucking boredom incarnate.

oh user, you know how to press space pew-pew battles fetish

That looks cuhrazy.

wew

…RobotJoe?

Boris' Boryana, actually. RobotJoe drew the character, though.

Boris' work is supposed to be sexual but ends up surreal, partially because he makes every character either a literal inflatable or shiny like rubber, and partially because of his style and color choices.

Presumably a lot of people are into those things, but I think they stand for themselves aesthetically.

Looks fuckin' sweet

I don't think I want to know whats going on with the models then, bit too weird for anyone really.

What game are you making with these?

I don't have plans with these specific models. Especially nothing unsavory. I'm using the base female body though, and I'm practicing with these.

Please keep up on this.
Please post this everywhere when you're done.
I want it.

RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You fucking tumblrite piece of shit, I need some fucking mods that helps me with my mod development but no I need to resort to the fucking map editor, this is just fucking great.

god damn when do I get to be the jew
or even a nigger

Looks like you forgot to check your privilege

Fuck this gay world tbh fam

We may be able to help if you can describe what you want your final world to look like. Do you want a city in this world to be like New York, but the police man have longbows and swords? Something else? More details please. I think the hardest part will be figuring out why humanity hasn't weaponize literally anything else. Hell, forget the guns, a car is a more efficient killing machine than a sword.

More ammo pickups, this time for the alien energy weapons.

Not happy with these for a couple different reasons.
One is the obvious size in pixel disparity (compare with a properly-sized pickup on the right), but this can be safely chalked up to "I'm not an artist, save it for an actual artist".

The other is the fact that the colors the weapons use is green, but the ammo pickups have glowing red bits.
I COULD just change the red bits to green, but the health pickups glow a big ol' bright glowy green right there, and I'm worried that'll cause a conflict of visual information.
I COULD just change the weapon's colors to red, but the primary-fire-default-infinite-ammo weapon is already colored red.

I'm probably overthinking this a lot (who in the hell identifies ammo for a weapon based on fucking color?), but I do like having some modicum of consistency.

I've been retouching weapon placement even more, I think I'm happy with how the AR-15 looks now. Even with the scope, it's not that obstructing. I'll have to fix those hands and arms on the AK-12, though.

Quake 3 and Reflex both let you identify ammo type by having different colours on ammo packs.

JSON is much easier to follow and edit than XML

Requesting advice:
>So I'm looking for a simple code base, with resources or examples. please halp

I never knew I wanted this until now

Change both the gun and pickup to orange. Or make the default laser orange and the alien guns red.

I am so very fucking tired of UE4 having a mind of it's own and not working half the time.

This summer has been so productive it blows my mind, but now the sun is setting, school is starting, and it's going to freeze over.

I seriously fucking hate the education system.

Not as much as I hate UE4 right now. Turns out that for some reason, your custom trace channels do not go ECC_GameTraceChannel1, ECC_GameTraceChannel2, ECC_GameTraceChannel3… etc. but instead are either random or start at ECC_GameTraceChannel12.

Had to check in the fucking config file to find this.

In which shithole do you live in, exactly?

This is why people make their own engine

US of A.
It's actually starting mid august. I just see it on the horizon and it's pissing me off

Nevermind, I am now using the correct tracechannel but it still returns blocking hits.

Yeah I can see why, that said making a 3D engine would be quite the effort to say the least.

Really glad to hear you guys like it!

Check out Xenoraptor, it's exactly that and a huge inspiration to me too bad it's stuck in EA limbo

FUCK

Oh well problem solved.

In what engine?

The one I'm making.

Good luck, fam. I fear the day that I'll have to learn the same.

just put all the characters into a big image and then crop it. Not really that big of a deal..

But then you run into issues like kerning, spacing, and aliasing when scaling it, etc.

use a monospace font

Its lots of work to render those correctly- although you could use a library, I didn't know about any when I did my font rendering.

I might use the freefont library. I even fond a really good guide for it wildfiregames.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17365-freetype-ttf-fonts-in-opengl/

Valve also wrote a paper on vector texture letters although I'm too tired to read it right now
valvesoftware.com/publications/2007/SIGGRAPH2007_AlphaTestedMagnification.pdf

That does sound interesting, hopefully you can get it to work.

got some funny looking bugs with the projectiles

see you all in four years

I decided to go with a variation of this and went with yellow. Pshoo.
Thanks.

updated my website, and added a new download link for the latest version of the game:

ika.neocities.org/sigma_engine.html

apply yourself user, you can overcome it

Why do you guys always seem to want to rewrite the wheel?

this can't be good

trust me im worse an i've powered through it easily enough

lmao same thing here

fuck sakes man.

but i'll take my 50$ a week thank u

For fun, as a learning experience, and sometimes you just have to make your own fucking wheel for highly specific reasons.

Makes sense.

Good taste in cute anime girl pictures.
Do you like pokemon, too?
I like Arcanine.

Want to fuck arcanine together with me?
Latias can watch

Arcanine is a slut, deserves to be fucked even if M and not F

Arcanine must have an insane body temp, you'd cook your wang putting it in them, who am I kidding, you autists probably get turned on by the idea of being ingested anally by giants.

I'd hit it with a water attack first, dummy.

that won't work autist, not stop derailing this thread.

You're just jealous

to learn how to become a better programmer, and to understand how the wheel works so that you can write a better one someday

also its fun

Either genuinely doing this for the fun of programming or debilitating, weapons grade autism preventing them from completing projects.

For those of whom who can create decent enough 3D models from scratch (no guidelines or tutorials), how did you get to the point you are now?
I feel like I've spent so much time watching videos on how to model certain things that, without the guidance telling me to do, I'm completely hopeless on how to model anything on my own.

Basically a repost this from another thread.

I watched Matthewmatosis video on DMC, and I heard him say that juggles essentially replaced grabs in old school beat 'em ups. I was wondering what could be done with grabs to make them more skillful? Grab juggling, King like grabs where you can put in different combinations of buttons to make it longer and do more damage, grabbing multiple opponents, grabbing enemies and using them like weapons?

Trying to make a beat 'em up, want the combos to be more grappling focused. Wondering how to make the player actually get good at grappling. I also have no idea what kind of setting I want it in anymore, I was originally going for a Warriors kind of vibe, with all the characters being sexy bitches, but now I kind of want to make them sexy wrestling bitches due to the focus on grappling.

Just create an alternate history where guns were never invented. I would think that's a pretty cool world, I'd be interested in learning more about it.

I used Wings 3D all the time before using Blender only.

'Cuz the thing was relative easy to get into but imo it would be better in the long run learning blender instead as it has more developers which means more frequent releases.

Wings 3D latest stable release is what 1-2 years ago or so.

Code Geass exists in a universe where gunpowder was never discovered. Guns use compressed air

Greek Letters are good logos

Yes they are.

The main problem with grabs is that they can really only affect one enemy at a time. Juggles, depending on the game, can send an entire group flying and keep them up there.

If you're going to have a game focused on grappling, I think it'd be better to have very small numbers of enemies attacking. Don't use hordes unless you've got lots of grapples like giant swings which can hit in AoEs.

Do you not into CSS, or have you just not cared/gotten around to it?

I don't care for CSS- I don't like doing anything webdev aside from typing out static HTML pages.

You don't like it in general, or you just don't like writing it? If I shat some out for you, would you use it?

I learned a lot about how much I hate unity's terrain system.

that's why nobody uses it
hating unity is perfectly justified for this and many other reasons
you're better off just making the mesh in your own software and importing it here, or making your own terrain editing tools for unity

I don't really know how to use it, and I don't know what I could do with it- I couldn't think of a thing that I wanted that I needed to learn CSS for.

I'll use any CSS that you give me in my site, sure. Thanks for helping me!

I'm procedurally generating this shit, otherwise I definitely would pre-render it in something else

It is extremely easy to learn.
You can completely change how the site looks. In simple terms, CSS is the paint and makeup of the internet. The basic logical structure is defined by the HTML, while how it looks is dictated by the CSS. Pics related are how this very thread looks without CSS. I'll try to make some visual improvements, but it'll ultimately come down to your preferences.

They use sakuradite(fictional semi-magical substance), everything in Code Geass runs on sakuradite.

I just like simple looking stuff, thats easy to read- thats all

what were you thinking of adding?

I mean, if you send me improved versions of the site files, i'll use them, since they'll look better

Well, since I can't do anything without knowing your specific tastes, I was just cleaning it a tad, bringing it closer to what most people call "readable." Something like this. Even elements of this come down to taste, though.

A few questions:
Did you deliberately make the YouTube player the size that it is?
Why are there so many s in the HTML?
Any specific changes/requests?

I like having the text to the side, but I want to have it automatically put newlines after a certain point so that it wont trail off forever

Also, I like times new roman font

Not really sure what else I want changed, maybe you know a way to make it look better

I did make the youtube player small, but you can make it big if you want

the is used for newlines, because I didnt want the text to trail off the page

Hah. Changing that was one of my first recommendations for making it feel more "modern." I like it too, though.
It should already be doing this. Even without any CSS, your text should be structuring itself like pic related. Or do you mean you want the point where it wraps to a new line to be sooner?

I think that most people will want it to be larger, since they're expository videos made to be scrutinized.

yeah, I want it to wrap around at maybe 1/4 of the page width, instead of waiting until it gets to the end of the page to wrap around

I'm assuming you meant 3/4 of the page width, rather than 1/4. Pics related. Something like that?

Maybe this is a place to start in terms of getting creative. Figuring out how to make a grappler effective against multiple foes might be a good challenge to overcome and instill some originality along the way.
Off the top of my head

Assuming you aren't going strictly 100% grapple, you could also have grapples that don't do much themselves, but set up bigger hits.

I've thought about this a lot, I may or may not have planned out a game along these lines and then put it in my nodev backlog. At least this time it's because I'm working on something productive, though. Just not vidya.

>too bad it's stuck in EA limbo
How embarrassing, I would've hoped an /agdg/ dev would do better.

Explain to me, /agdg/

user

yeah, that looks pretty good!

I was hoping for advice on an engine and maybe some critique, I am planning on making a game thats based on running a settlement in a post apocolyptic setting (still working on enemies and only have a general idea) and I plan on making it 2D and like a gsg any ideas on what engine to use?

Well damn that looks really fucking awesome. Always wanted to make a game like that, but I have no art skills and those games require a ton of careful animations for everything.

uhhh

Another question. Do you want the videos and images centered relative to the browser, or to the content within the page?

(Or not at all.)

maybe have them not centered

Nigga, we are basically back to where we started. However, if nothing else, we did find a misunderstanding you had with HTML, so if nothing else it'll be a learning experience. Here: pastebin.com/VUdSzfrs

Just replace your index.html with that. Back the old one up first. Admittedly, it's not much of a change from where it was, but if you want the plain Times New Roman and far left alignment, then that's how it do. However, from now on, you'll be able to just write freely within any tag, instead of having to add a bunch of s. You should only need to use it to separate paragraphs, now. You use a CSS rule called margin to dictate how far text can travel, not .

If you think of other changes you want, or want to know how to do, I'll be around, but I'm fading fast here.

He looks like a polar opposite to the indie clique.

Pretty good for a chink then. Hopefully I'll be able to make something close to as good since I'm doing mine on UE4 too, albeit a completely different genre. Just need an artist and to finish the core mechanics.

So this is a thing.

sorry if you feel like I wasted your time, I am completely retarded with this kind of thing.

The only thing that I really knew that I wanted was to have the words wrap around without using the tag, since I like how basic HTML sites look. I should have said that in the first place.

but anyway, thanks a lot, I had a lot of trouble setting up all those linebreaks, so this should save me a ton of time in the future

Im going to bed now

Very cool.
Something seems a little odd about the way the light sources combine.
Out of curiosity is it the running or the torch that sets off the monsters?

Noise generated from running rather than sneaking

Never, bro. This is a place to learn, after all. In the end, we got what you wanted, right? Good night. I regular these threads, so ask a question if you need something HTML/CSS related. That goes for everyone, I guess.

Nice.
Always like to see your progress.

it looks nice indeed
at the same time i wouldn't really use it for light, because it feels too much like too blobs of goo combining
but i am a nodev so don't listen to me

Nice, it runs finely on Wine so far.

is there a particular reason you use Dijkstra's algorithm for the path finding, instead of a greedy one (like says A*)?

Seems like you misquoted, fam.

yes, i did, i meant it for the guy that made it, now I'm not sure who he is (>>10229724 ?)

no comments?

Your questions is really vague. What does code base even mean? A game engine? I mean for all we know you want game maker, the phaser engine (javascript browser engine), or literally just raw opengl and the standard libraries in c++.

Also most people might be reluctant to reply because less than 2 threads ago a similar type of question was asked the person asking threw a huge temper tantrum, derailed the threads and yelled at everyone for "Not being able to read" because nobody understood what he was asking.

Was more like 2-3 threads ago.

SDL? Monogame? I don't do 2D but those are options.

I mean balancing complexity vs ease of use I need a starting point that won't destroy my soul.
Like for example visual design studio or something more specifically designed for games. This was a user-voted list I came across, but it don't focus on a specific type of game (fairly simple).

#1 libGDX
#2 Monkey X
#3 Construct 2
#4 Unity
#5 Cocos2D-X and Cocos2D Family
#6 LÖVE
#7 Godot
#8 Clickteam Fusion 2.5

libGDX is shit. I had to work with it for an university project, don't use it unless you want to put your shit on phone also.

No ones going to know what your equilibrium for this is. Classes you've taken doesn't really say anything other than "I've done coding before." There are people who get PhD's in computer science that can't program their way out of a paper bag. You just gotta sit down and see whats best.

I mean shit, you can probably just use a 2d javascript browser game engine to make it. Then your game will be extremely portable and pretty easy to do. If that's not what you want I'd just start at (or read heavily into) either unity or game maker see how you feel about them then either stick with them or go up the list.

Godot and Love are "easiest" to use for 2D games but neither has good documentation and both expect that you have some experience with Python Godot or Lua Love.

No idea how Unity is for 2D. Construct is easy as fuck but limiting. Fusion is even worse in that regard.

unity's 2d is basically 3d
except that you only move things with one axis less
gamemaker is better in that regard

I miss working on my game, but I've realized working on something alone just isn't fun. Anyone need a programmer?

I think it would be better, if you actually told us about your skills. You know, languages, experience, etc. These threads have anons of varying experience.

whens functional collision trimeshes in godot?

Have you heard about Guacamelee before? You can grapple enemies, throw them in 6 directions, with you can topple other enemies, and you can buy upgrades for them to be a stonger, usually finishing moves.

I'm still getting used to Gamemaker, but I'm making progress. I redid a huge chunk of my earlier progress today to make things easier going forward. You can run, dash, jump and do a three hit combo. There are things you can break.

Tomorrow I'm going to be adding some fake enemies that either take damage and get juggled, block or parry the player when attacked. After that comes the style meter.

I've spent hours now trying to get my jets to properly apply to my mech models, everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

The mass calculation stopped working out of the blue until I realized that setting the master pose component on my mech parts destroyed their physics state and consequently, mass.

Now for some reason two mechs with identical mass with the same jets produce wildly different force outputs (factor of ten) and I a now have to recompile editor, client and server just to debug this shit.

Just venting here cause I'm mad.

Well, I'm educated in software development/programming. Work as a programmer. I know C/C++/C#/Java/Lua plus some more and consider picking up any new language simple enough. I've made my own engines and worked in Unity. I've posted here a lot in the past, usually as an enginefag. Pic related was the last project I worked on.

Some new graphics, fixes, gamepad support, particles, etc.

Can I link my blog here? More info in this post: kircode.com/post.php?id=15

This is starting to remind me a LOT of the ps1/PC frogger game

If anyone has anything they need textured or any maps they need baked, hit me up. I'm sort of bored and my actual project is going nowhere due to my lack of any coding knowledge.

AYO HOL UP

Are you the dev who wanted to make a harvest moon like game?

das rite mane

Can you do weapon textures? And where can I hit you up?

Depends on how much needs doing. I'm still pretty amateurish but I can give it a go. Just post the UV map for me and tell me what you need and I'll do all the rest.

Huh. I still haven't made an UV map for my assault rifle, but I do have something simple. This knife here, 1024x1024. The first pic is just the silouhette, don't pay attention to the colour scheme. That's what I was thinking on how to texture it.

Just make a black-ish that means, don't make it THAT dark texture for the handle, and you can go wild with the blade. I suggest either a light grey or straight up stainless steel look, but then again, I haven't planned anything specific for this weapon 'ere. I'm using UE4, so given the PBR pipeline, if you could also do a roughness map, that'd be great. I think it's basically the same as a specular map.

I forgot to mention, by "go wild" I meant that you can be creative when it comes to doing it. My game is set in the future, and so I wanted something more original, even though it's just a combat knife.

It's possible, but music and voice acting probably costs some. And he probably used a lot of starter content.

This one is just two 3D guys (both of us here in /agdg/, and outsourced concept and character art.)

This is shit luck, but my tablet seems to be broken. It's pretty new so I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm pissed. I'll have to get back to you about this once I get it figured out. Until then, I did several maps, including a basic gray color map. Sorry I couldn't help more.

mediafire.com/?a2a96l4bl3gdocx

i was also working on a harvest moon clone a while back, but i dropped it for more interesting things
funny how someone was doing the same thing though

Ah, well, no problem then. Take your time.

oh, thats good, I was not sure if the game would work with wine. If you have any feedback, or issues, I can try and fix them.

Easier to write, and also the graphs are so simple that there would not be a significant speed increase. I should take the time to write an A* path finding function, but right now there is not an incentive to do that.

you can type "dbg_draw_aigraph 1" into the console when playing the game to see the AI graphs.

When I Alt-Tab to other programs and then going back to the Game/Engine I can only move backwards and using the gun.

Apart from that and the bugs you already found I din't found anything else.

Also you've got some ebin theme music m8

Ops, I forget to mention at the third map which got 3 enemies near the spawn they seem to have a smaller hitbox in terms of height, so at the first time I played the map I couldn't hit them.

If possible could you add a way to bind the keys? Because I am used to use the arrow key for moving.

Sage for double post.

thanks- its one of Ken Silverman's songs. advsys.net/ken/

I just realized that the program does not detect when you alt-tab out, and it keeps on locking down the mouse cursor- I'll fix that.

I'll work on rebindable keys today I suppose- shouldn't be hard to do

Yeah there are some weird bugs with the function used for shooting the enemies, that I need to fix up… I'll try and fix that today as well.

Thanks fam

A patrician taste you've got there.

Well I guess it's not really a unique concept. Got any progress from before you dropped it?

basic, basic farming mechanics, all worked on some autistic timer. It was game maker, and i wasn't really down with doing something so easy in game maker.

currently porting over a bullet hell prototype i made in lua/love2D over to monogame after running into issues with love2D and timing operations.
microshaft site also has a tutorial on 'shooter' games, so its been making it a lot easier on me.
i'd post pictures but its not working right now

making UIs is fun.

Abuse this with an image.
You know what I'm talking about.

you know what to do.

This is driving me mad. FUCK YOU BLENDER

I wish I could fuck around with UIs.
I need to git gud at x86 assembly.

UMG says hello

Wat? Even Roller Coaster Tycoon used C code for the gui.

Nevermind I am dumb, had to triangulate this shit then make into quads.

are there any online courses, books, or videos that really get you ready to develop 3d games?

I don't want to make another 2d indie game but I don't really know anything about anything.

I wasn't saying that I make UIs in asm, but making a general statement. (Thanks, for the nightmare fuel though.)
Currently I can't work on my game, because I need to learn for exams; one of which requires me to know x86 assembly. It's such a fucking chore.

Or is that shooting way too high?

3D is infinitely harder than 2D, especially in terms of assets.

Hey man you're lucky that your school is actually teaching a relevant assembly language. I was actually looking forward to taking assembly I'm hyper autistic about programming and was hoping I could use a little of it in the game I'm making to speed up shit like loading. When I took assembly last year instead of teaching x86, which would have actually made fucking sense, we where required to learn a dead language for a mainframe from the 70s. This required us to use a terminal emulator (which was a nightmare) to connect to a mainframe across the country to program in. This was before scrollbars or mouses so you had to use the page up/down keys or type a scroll command.

To compile you code you had to type a MAKE (i think) in this command line that's at the very bottom of the screen, then navigate through 5 screens and open up your output, use your page down keys until you reach the very bottom of the output and then you figure out if your code even compiled. Debugging was a pain in the dick because you had to constantly go back and forth between this folder and your code which took a solid 10-15 seconds, but keep in mind you're doing this constantly so it adds up really fast.

My teacher was also a fucking asshole and just generally awful at his job. He gave us 600-1000 line of code assignments every fucking week, and that's not exaggeration, because what he did was he tacked on 20-30 little things that are probably 50 lines each. "Oh keep track of what page we're on for our output, format something this way, do this and this and this." Instead of actually making a curriculum that made sense he would just put the core of the new assignment on the board off the top of his head and the assignment was literally just copying what he put then figuring out the other +500 lines of code.
THIS LITERALLY MEANT THAT YOUR ASSIGNMENTS WHERE JUST BUSY WORK AND DID NOT REQUIRE YOU TO LEARN ANYTHING NEW

He also went at 5x the pace of the other teachers. We had these student helpers who graded the assignments and helped kids out like a tutor, and eventually it got to a point where I WAS TEACHING HIM HOW TO DO LARGE PARTS OF THE ASSIGNMENT BECAUSE THE TEACHER HE TOOK THE CLASS FOR DIDN'T EVEN FUCKING TOUCH IIT

Keep in mind that assembly languages are processor specific, and mimic the way the processor works so
ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THIS SHIT CARRIES OVER TO X86

That year I was also taking Engineering Statistics (which was a grind and general waste of time) and foundations of computers (Which is literally the dumbest fucking class I have ever taken in my life. This assembly class was a mix of the two.

It's not shooting way too high, it's just kind of broad.

Your question is way too vague. Developing 3d games in what? An engine? From the ground up? There is no guide that will answer all the questions for you. In development usually when a question comes up there are 30 answers all with their own guides on how to do them that specific way.

You either get MIPS on some obscure VM emulating what's basically SGI workstation from early 90s if you're lucky or fucking RISC on VM emulating theoretic RISC-16 machine that has absolutely no use for anything if you're unlucky.

I guess I'd be using Unity or Unreal. When it comes to games I just want to make action heavy stuff like DMC or Ninja Gaiden.

The only skills I'd be going in with are art and modeling. I was in traditional animation for a while but I slowly found that really wasn't my passion. Every time I'd watch a cartoon and study it is just think about what a cool game it would make. I also get burnt out on animation pretty quick and I've heard game development is good for people who want to handle little bits at a time.

I'd just think*

custom engine or?

No. I don't think they teach anything relevant to the modern world in Uni besides 4 languages, but this user got to do x86 which is why I brought it up.

School is a fucking disgrace. I hope Trump makes good on his promise to crack down on the scam.

What games use fear/PTSD/morale as a game mechanic?

I was thinking of making a top down shooter with this mechanic in mind. It would work sort of like this:

You are tasked with taking over a base.
In the background (not a visible meter to the player) is a "morale meter" measuring the confidence/willingness to fight of the soldiers.
At 100 the morale is at its maximum, the enemies are agressive, charging the player, their accuracy is at its maximum and they arent going to surrender.

Performing certain actions will however lower this number and hinder the enemies ability to fight back.

The lowered morale will 1st start to affect the agressiveness of the enemies, making them more stationary, then their accuracy and eventually when youve killed most of them, the remaining will surrender and walk with their hands up into an open area.

The missions is now over and you get a bonus reward of some sort for the captured POWs.

Are there any other games that implement a similar morale mechanic? The only one I can think of is Mark of the ninja where brutally mutilating a soldier infront of another one will scare them and I guess there are some subtle implementations in games like Fear or Red orchestra.

There is no opening sarcasm tag. Does that mean that everything before this post was sarcastic?

Clearly hes just better than you. Step it up sempai.

alright, i'm working on custom key-bindings, but I Just realized that I don't even check and see if the arrow keys are pressed or not, so I added that into the input system

right now all of the keys can be rebound through the console based on their ASCII codes- but the arrow keys don't have ASCII codes so I gave them special numbers- so:

up arrow = 130
down arrow = 131
left arrow = 132
right arrow = 133

and to set the controls to the arrow keys, you would type in the console:

in_forward 130
in_backward 131
in_moveleft 132
in_moveright 133

or just paste that into config.cfg

I'll update the console guide in the readme.txt when I post the next version, so right now all the keys that the player can use are rebindable

killing the enemy general in total war games lowered morale, while him being alive gave a morale boost to anyone near him

Alright great, I will test the new version as soon as possible. thanks for doing it man.

Developing for months a physic engine in unity similar way the old isometric sonic 3d blast.

what do?

Go to sleep.

Not exactly relevant but you just sent me on a trip down memory lane. I seem to recall from my qbasic days that you could get input from the arrow keys by comparing the keypress to a two byte string made using chr$(0) + an ascii character. I don't know why it was like this but I don't remember finding any other way to get arrow key input.

Wew, that really does sound shitty. At least we got to write assembly for the 80836. Not exactly modern, but compatible to modern CPUs so our stuff runs natively on a modern OS.

In my case, I have a catalog with two groups of elective subjects and I need to choose four (two out of each group). Also being autistic about programming, I immediately chose the one where I get to learn x86 assembly. It's only one semester, so we're far away from being anything actually resembling assembly-programmers. However, this was never the point of this course. From the beginning our professor told us that one semester just isn't enough for that. He considers his job done, if every of his student leaves the course
>having developed a solid foundation from which he can expand his knowledge (if interested

I will release it after I fix the bugs with the shooting hitboxes and add in a new enemy type

Dijkstra can be neat if you have a lot of enemies that need to pathfind to the player - just search out from the player once per frame (until some max distance).

That's literally what my unix professor told me the assembly class was going to do. Then I looked at x86 after taking it and notice the entire thing works on a stack, the registers work completely differently, and the only thing transfered over at all is branching is expensive (which I already knew)

Also your teacher sounds based as fuck. All the teachers here just care about either
A) Research
B) Students being able to get high grades on tests despite the fact they haven't learned anything practical if they learned anything at all.

What do you guys use for sharing files among a team? Obviously github or bit bucket, but those only work for code.

Is there an alternative to the unity team cloud that keeps everyone's build synced?

I set up an FTP server at my house but my other team members can't open unity scene files for whatever reason

I have to use Dropbox at work and it's really convenient. Everyone can access/modify files from anyone's shared folders and it all works automatically. It even deals with conflicts if two people modified the same file.

We use Perforce at college.

Sweet. I'll check it out

oops, forgot to get ride of that reply

Working on a drill weapon i think is neat. Fire it into the enemy to do some damage and push them into danger, or fire it into asteroids to create very deadly projectiles.

I got mine working recently too. Im right there with you

What happens when it collides?

Another question.

I'm going off to college in a month and I won't have much more time to research stuff.
As an art fag with no coding knowledge, is there a list of things in unity I should look into that I would be able to tackle on my own?

I know it sounds generic, but I want to have as wide a knowledge possible. I already understand dealing with models, animations, colliders, particles, terrain. But what else can I take before I run out of time

c o z y ~

That sounds like plenty of knowledge for an artfag to me. You ARE going to artfag or at least artfag-for-games college and not some generic "lern 2 maek gaemz" college right? Because those suck.

C O M F Y

Looks like dicks shooting loads tbh fam

well, depending on what you're studying, you might end up learning about inherited classes in there, which will be a huge plus for unity
you should also look into messing with editor scripts in unity, those are also very handy if you want to avoid tons of work

You sounds pretty set for an artfag, and the best step atm is to practice artfaggin'
Make some assets and such.
As your programmer should make you easy to use editor tools for doing your thing w/o programming anyways.

nice, lookin' comfy

Not videogames, degenerate picture, fuck off gook.

looks neat

hell yes!
as long as you can use c++

Sure thing, tell me more.

Can I smash all the furniture? I want to smash all the furniture.

I'm making an rts game with sfml
I'm currently a one man team
I mostly do programming but i recently picked up modeling.
The game is 2D isometric
here's the whole thing
[email protected]/* */:greenman/rts.git

i don't think that includes the sprite sheet btw which i think i will make a separate git project for

Hey man, how is going with your project? Do you have made any new vidya/webums?

well im on vacation in italy right now so i haven't really made a lot of progress since i last posted something.

Oh, well that's fine.
I will be looking forward to your progress.

If you wanna join in just shoot me an email
btw this offer extends to anyone with any vidya dev related skills

Tell me more.

I'll take a look and see if it's a good fit for me. If you could tell me more/show some progress that would be nice.

Need some help, /agdg/.

I'm making a tactics RPG and everything was going fine until I realize I had no idea how to draw the "movement area", you can see in the gif (first pic) that there is a movement range and the draw path turns grey if you don't have enough "movement points", but I fail to see how I can draw the movement preview (second pic) taking into account collision.

maybe a bitmap that corresponds to the moveable/unmoveable tiles in a map.

I've been sitting here since 5 in the morning in my pajamas listening to this song over and over again while I work on a model for my game. Comfy as fuck.

When you're moving a unit, first determine all the tiles you can move to. You can do this by simply simulating all possible movements.

1. Mark the tile your character is on.
2. Then iterate over all tiles you can move to from that tile, mark those and add them to the list. If a tile is already marked, skip it.
3. Remove every tile from the list, and restart from step 2 for every tile you remove.

After that creating a display of where you can attack should work the same way.

As an added bonus, if you, next to marking a tile, also save what tile you're moving from in, then you can generate the shortest path without additional pathfinding. (Since the algorithm above is basically Dijkstra.)

I thought about it, but that wouldn't solve the problem if corridors were there for example.

I made my research and found this:
serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39702

I'm supposed to use this Dijkstra's algorithm, just no idea how since Gamemaker already has automatic functions for A* and I can't modify them for a different logic.

Looks like I'm wrong, I'll try that user, thanks.

If I were to use UE4, is Microsoft Visual Studio the only IDE it's compatible with?

You can get Qt Creator to work with it.
Pros:

Thanks! The IDE I've been using to learn C++ is Code Blocks. Could I get that to work with UE4 somehow?

Also,

Programming is a wild ride.

Made new bread

forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?98645-TUTORIAL-Use-Code-Blocks-with-UE4Editor-in-Linux.

F

Rule is no new threads until page 13 IIRC

Nice.

Not so nice.

this is the fate he chose
should have known the rules

sorry for the late response i was at the beach all day.

this the most recent one i have saved it shows off mining

i've made a good bit of progress since then but most of it isn't really visible

Going into my senior year for business. It's really just for the bachelor's degree so i can get a better job.

In the meantime I'll be working on the game.

And I think I won't be happy until I learn to code and I can control everything

It's working user, thanks a bunch.

What engine are you on?

Looks great