ITT: Shit game engines

ITT: Shit game engines
Megatextures is a meme, performance is garbage, it looks decent after halfsecond texture load and in movement it looks like muddy mess, it can't support even half decent level design it's ether corridors or arenas.
It ain't great, but it does job with other games just fine.

another related topic is good engines like retro engine that taxman has made, the engine sonicmania is going to use, which is pretty good

BETHESDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I never had trouble with performance with IDtech. Textures looked like ass on both Wolfenstein and Rage, but I'm pretty sure it was because they were multiplats for last gen.
Nudoom doesn't seem to have the texture problems.

The worst

wolfenstein the new order is pretty fun I thought. I never played the evil within so I have no opinion on that game.

Rage and doom were godawful.

For obvious reasons.

For obvious reasons.

IdTech 6 actually looks fucking good, better than tech 5, but there's still limitations like how the enemies can only be limited to a few dozens. Doom should've focused less on the environment.

I blame Carmack for pushing this megatextures shit instead of making an engine that actually looks good. Not surprised at all he fucked off from video games after this clusterfuck.

Its just a shame that The Evil Within runs horribly.

Carmack only cares about technology, not actual gameplay.

I never had any perfomance trouble with it but i have a high-end PC and i understand this engine looks like shit compared to the specs needed to run it

Fuck him them

In what way?

Absurdly bloated and runs like shit for a 2D engine, traps newfag developers into a shit engine and discourages them from working with anything that doesn't have an overweight GUI and visual scripting system in the same way Unity does for most of its developers.
The Unity of open source vidya engines with even fewer features. Everything made in this engine is cursed to fail prematurely.

its what the game devs, industry, and a lot of "gamers" wanted: good graphics. as far as i can tell Carmack only tried to appease their absurd ideal of graphics to the best of his ability.

Unity CAN be used well but it's used by inexperienced devs for the most part. I think an actual shit engine is Gamebryo though. It's a tower of duct tape similar to Source. It behaves retardedly with god awful hit detection. I can't wait for OpenMW 1.0 honestly.

Oh user

OpenMW is really playable at the moment. To the point where a few mods are actually working better than they would in Gaymemebryo.

I've played Morrowind to my heart's content, don't care shit about OpenMW. DaggerXL when?

I was thinking user, will tamriel rebuilt feature complex quests like the base game?
I'd love playing morrowind over and using my endgame nerevarine to explore and do quests in the new world.

Don't know user. Isn't it dead?

From what i heard he knew it was detrimental to how good the games would look but he wanted to do it because it was the "next big thing".
In the end the games are so bland looking you dont ever notice the supossed "all unique" textures but a couples fags will still fight you saying this crap is ahead of its time.

Im not even getting into how pathetic the physics in this engine is.

Rage is a decent half of a game. It's like they ran out of time and decided to sell it as it was. Areas like the crater and the swamp are clearly bits of much larger sections that were cut.

Well in doom, you can enable vulkan which improves it by a lot, even a 600-series GTX can run it.

nice meme btw

this user knows his shit

if they made just a shooter instead of trying to ride the open world Fallout-apocalipse meme it would be Wolfestein tier, not any better than that, remember that this game is the one with the one button auto aim boomerang that kills everything.

Its not, look how shitty the other games besides NuDooM look. they still need NuDooM specs to run.

Can someone explain to me why Bethesda is so obsessed with this engine?

Source is a crummy engine, It looks bad, uniquely bad, any bad on source you can tell by a mile away, texture quality is muddy, the physics are nothing special, there were games that had already done physics before HL1, like Max Payne 2 with it's Havok physics engine, only thing Source has going for is that it turns on toasters and nothing else.

*Any game on source you can tell by a mile away

I wouldn't say source is bad just incredibly outdated.

Switching from XnGine to Gamebyro took them 6 years. Beth accepted Todd's Direct3D based system only because they were on the verge of bankruptcy. Just like Gamebryo, Bethesda used XnGine in all their games for almost 10 years.

Even back in the day It just looked plain bad in my opinion.

Actually source looked incredible good around 2004 till 2007ish. But then it became increasingly outdated and ugly.

How did Epic shit the bed so completely on ue3?

Thats Carmack for you
He forced them to make Quake a shooter and Quake 2 a sci-fi shooter
Hes too spergy to take risks

Source didnt really look bad back in 2005, it just always had this esterile look, like nothing feels alive. I remember being uncomfortable as fuck while playing Half Life 2 because of this.

FUCKING GAMEBRYO

It was a good engine for 2004, not now.

Tbqh, it looked better than CryEngine 1 and had better draw distance than Tech4. I remember CoD 2 looking more alive and somehow bigger than HL2 though, although the models are not as detailed.

Didn't Zenimax fire most of their programmers? There was a reddit post from one of them I think, but I don't have it.

It impressed the fuck out of me back in 2004. I never saw anything quite like it on PC until then. I wouldn't say it's bad. And it still has some of the best facial expressions on the main characters that I've ever seen.

wut

Did you forget to turn off all the motion blur bullshit?

Not to mention the whole auto lip synch tech they have built into it.
I actually hope valve manages to push out a modernized Source 2 with actually useable editing tools but their workers are probably busy having VR enhanced bukkake parties atm.

I remember all I really played at the time on PC was stuff like Max Payne, Quake 3, GTA3, Doom, and Half-Life 1. Stuff that was either kind of old or looked kind of like a cartoon to me. I got HL2 for Christmas in 2004 and I was so blown away by how realistic it looked compared to any other game I was playing at the time.

The one used for Far Cry. Crysis was CryEngine 2.

It's the same engine?

Dark Souls is an ungodly turd of a port, dont even bother, the game takes a nose dive halfway anyways

Dragons Dogma is an unfinished game, im surprised more people dont call this out

X-RAY BEST ENGINE
other than it being pretty buggy

I use gamemaker, I don't get what you saying, could you compare with something done right so I can get the image?

do you even dsfix?

30 frames

yeah my ds plays like garbage too i get jelly when i see peoples smooth 60s my toaster isnt even bad

Well that's because it was, and it's a shame but having fun and sharing your cumdumps was more important.

Dated graphics even for its time.

To be fair, most devs do that, but Bethesda are about he only ones who do it with a really shit engine.

I thought so too, but the engine it runs on is still shit.

Episode 2 was a meme, please do not post screenshots from it.

Tangible things cannot be memes.

Information - that is, media - isn't tangible, user.

Are you retarded? The game runs at 30 frames no matter what, if you use something to run at 60 it breaks it even more.

Fable 2 & 3