DOOM 64

Planning on setting up that EX version so I can play this for the first time. Any recommendations? What am I in for?

Make sure your stick is in a forward position when you turn your console on for double forward momentum, makes the game more fun.

Better level design than the first games?

Any game I know of just miscalculates a joystick if you do that.

It's some weird shit with being able to "go past" the normal confines of the stick. Like when you do it, your neutral state also has forward momentum, but you can apply even more forward momentum. It's a weird bug, used in speedruns. Actually pretty fun to play with, can allow you to run over gaps you normally can't, and to run over event triggers before they know you are there and allows you to skip them basically.

I'm playing the EX version. The one that lets me play it with KB+M

Go in blind, get fucking lost in the mazes and enjoy it because they sure as fuck don't make levels like those any more.

I can't remember if it's possible to properly rebind the controls (I think you can manually adjust every button but there aren't proper presets) so you can set it to C mvoement and left and right on the stick to turn. There's no vertical look either.

Also, the graphics are rad and I was an idiot and a fool back in the day for being bummed they didn't go with full 3D models.

Bumping

Fucking how????

It's not even a dungeon crawler game, there's not many items to be discovered. It's getting lost without a purpose. What a fucking shit feeling.

A supremely spooky soundtrack.

The game is gery atmospheric and enjoyable.

It's good, a lot more "realistic" than the cutesy DOS-Dooms. People call it the real Doom 3 for a reason. Basically a Doom game made on a Quake-style engine.

Level Design is solid although I actually liked most of the original 2 Doom's levels bar maybe 5 maps or so and especially the two level packs so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

go in blind. you're going to get stuck because a lot of the maps are really, really large, and have a lot of weird triggers that force you to backtrack all over the goddamned place. i mean this in a good way, it makes the whole thing feel a lot larger in scope than it is

as a lot of other anons have said it's also supremely atmospheric so enjoy that. it's dark, it's spooky, the soundtrack is great, the monsters look not bad. the only part of it that i genuinely didn't enjoy was the shotgun honestly, i missed my old pump action reload animation, but that's an autistic complaint

how???

You're in for what should have been Doom 3.

The only way to beat the game is if you find the 4 demon keys.

the best doom game, a good blend of doom and quake. If you're familiar with quake's sense of hostility, traps, etc. You'll find a lot to enjoy in Doom 64. Oh and some geniunely terrifying ambient tracks.

The real Doom 3. I pity the people who haven't played it.

By shooting enemies and not backtracking empty rooms.

More like Doom 2. That abomination of an overpriced expansion pack should've been called Doom 1.5.

You're a dopey nigger, there are a lot of secret areas.

Didn't DOOM 64 come out in the days of early 3D gaming? It was probably smarter choice to still use 2D sprites instead of early 3D models on top of a bad N64-tier framerate.

What the hell do I find secret areas for, it doesn't change the gameplay at all, I'm not autistic.

Figures. At least recognize that the gameplay is inferior to the originals, you pleb.